Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Palio Thor's impressions and reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 55565758>
Author
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/28/2012 at 11:23am
Just put my new Thor's from TT armory onto my blade last week and put about 10 hours of play/training on it so far.
Have been using Thors for almost a year now and I can tell the difference between the two sheets (assuming that my old sheet wasn't performing poorly because of its age..I waited about 4 months until I changed it out (around 160 hours)).

I seem to dump a lot less balls into the net, no noticeable change in serves, either I've gotten better or counter looping seems easier.

Also as a word of caution - Don't tune your Thors. I tuned my old sheets to try to get an extra month or two out of them and after tuning them twice they became incredibly incredibly inconsistent. In contrast when I put the new Thors on, I felt a lot more confident in my shots and my ability to control the ball was back.

Sponsored Links

the_theologian View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2012 at 1:54am
Originally posted by seguso seguso wrote:

Originally posted by mon22 mon22 wrote:

the newer sheet from ttarmory have a thicker & harder topsheet.

does someone know if the thor's at ttnpp.com is the new or old version?

back around January I bought 2 sheets (1 red, 1 black) from ttnpp and put them both on a burn off-. this was the first time I played with thor's. i was very surprised how soft it felt and how awesome the dwell time was. a few months later i bought a sheet in black for my expert. it definitely feels harder and thicker Confused 

it plays well but i wanted it the original way
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2012 at 2:54am
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

back around January I bought 2 sheets (1 red, 1 black) from ttnpp and put them both on a burn off-. this was the first time I played with thor's. i was very surprised how soft it felt and how awesome the dwell time was. a few months later i bought a sheet in black for my expert. it definitely feels harder and thicker Confused 

It might be because of the different blade. The only way to get a true comparison is by testing on the same blade.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2012 at 7:02am
AFAIK the main change in the new sheets is that they've made the topsheet slightly thicker, but no changes in the top-sheet or sponge hardness.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2012 at 10:01am
The difference between the old and new Thors is pretty small I think. I didn't do a direct comparison by examining the sheets but I have been playing with Thors since about April 2011 (so it's been over a year).

I've noticed that it's ever so slightly to loop with the new Thors. They feel a little more playable and I swear that my flat hit has improved. All in all they feel very slightly more European.
This effect is not obvious at first and the first time I played with the new Thors I felt that maybe I did not get the new formulation.
After about a week I notice that my shots were a bit more consistent.

It is still a technically challenging rubber to use but the pay off is good. Even after a year I still have problems looping VERY heavy underspin balls. Medium to light underspin balls I can absolutely kill (the throw on this thing is amazing, I'll do a 45 degree loop and the ball clears the net by maybe 1/2 an inch with lots of speed and spin).

On the BH though I would not recommend the Thor - at least for me I am unable to consistently generate a massive BH loop (my BH motion is much tighter and is more of a punch block BH, flip BH or top spin BH). With this I feel uncomfortable looping long chops to my BH and instead go for a push.

For this reason I ordered 42deg Blitz and I hope that will make my BH a bit more deadly. Currently all my opponents do is chop to my backhand knowing that I am very likely to just push it back.
Forehand: Hurricane 3 Provincial #20 sponge
Backhand: Rakza 7 Max
Blade:    Xiom Aria
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2012 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

It might be because of the different blade. The only way to get a true comparison is by testing on the same blade.

you're right but the baked outer mahogany veneer on the burn off- shouldn't be drastically far from the black limba on the expert.... then again the Expert stands alone in feel so I don't know

Edited by the_theologian - 05/10/2012 at 5:05pm
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/10/2012 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by gatorling gatorling wrote:

On the BH though I would not recommend the Thor - at least for me I am unable to consistently generate a massive BH loop (my BH motion is much tighter and is more of a punch block BH, flip BH or top spin BH). With this I feel uncomfortable looping long chops to my BH and instead go for a push.

For this reason I ordered 42deg Blitz and I hope that will make my BH a bit more deadly. Currently all my opponents do is chop to my backhand knowing that I am very likely to just push it back.

Could you explain your reasoning a bit more here - isn't Blitz less spinny than Thors? How would it be easier to generate a massive BH loop with it than with Thors?
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/11/2012 at 12:00am
How spinny is not same as how easy to generate spin !! :-)
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
vid1
Vid 2
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2012 at 9:31am
Since Thors are tacky they are a bit more reactive to spin. Unfortunately I have a minor ankle injury so I've only been able to put around 2 hours of play on the Blitz (about a total of 2 matches).

Blitz is definitely not a tacky rubber, if anything it's grippy.

As far as I can tell, this is why I am having an easier time with Blitz on BH.

When a backspin ball hits my rubber it wants to ride down the rubber and off my blade before I can lift the ball with a brush stroke.
With Blitz this effect is a bit less and since it is also softer I can push the ball into the rubber and lift it.

With Thor, on my backhand, my stroke is not good enough to generate enough blade speed to match or exceed the spin on the ball..so the ball doesn't get lifted enough.

That's my best explanation. The Blitz definitely generates less spin but it gives me more variety on my backhand.
Push is less deadly, backhand loop is less spinny but I am able to flip more short pushes, loop more long pushes and the ability to punch down loops is about the same as Thors. Maybe better because it seems like the Blitz picks up speed with medium low to medium high effort and then bottoms out shortly after.
Thors tend to be very dead at low to medium low effort, moderate at medium to medium high effort and very fast at high to maximum effort.

In the end Thors feel like they have a higher range of gears but it takes a lot of effort to put them into super fast mode.
Blitz feel like it has a lower range of gears (around the same low gear as Thor) but requires much less effort to reach its maximum potential.

This is exactly what I am looking for in a BH rubber. I am not able to generate as much power on my BH so I do not want a rubber that requires a large powerful stroke that requires me to twist my body. I want a rubber where I can generate good speed with nothing more than my arm using a punch motion or simply rotating my forearm (like a clock) with some raising of my shoulder.

On my forehand however I love generating power using my legs, hips, torso and arm and so that's why I love Thor's for FH. It rewards me for a good stroke while allowing me to play a very soft control game when my opponents start dropping the ball short (I can keep the ball low, have a very heavy low push etc...).

Blitz + Thor looks to be my new combo now.

P.S - If you've played Thor FH/Thor BH then you will have little to no problems going to Thor FH/Blitz BH. They play very similarly, you'll notice a little extra kick and you'll notice loops and flips getting easier but you may pop the ball up for the first few sessions.

gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2012 at 9:39am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I am thinking about trying tacky on both sides and give a couple months try to Thor's (last time I gave up too early). I wonder how good a combo it would be with my Ross Leidy OFF 5-ply all wood for the FH.

On the bh I did ok a few years back and actually my bh was better with cheap tacky than today (but my level may have had gone down too since) and I wonder about that $15 rubber in 38deg: http://ttnpp.com/shop/globe-999-special-pro-version-for-national-team-p-232.html

Thors definitely take some time getting used to. Took me 2 weeks to regain some confidence in my shots.
After 1 month I was convinced that this was the rubber for me.
1 year later the only rubber I'm considering trying out is the new Ximo Vega China in hopes that it is an upgraded version of Thor and consider trying H3 Neo with some tuning (for a cheaper alternative).
eonblue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eonblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2012 at 11:47am

I used Thors on FH and Blitz on BH for well over a year.  3-4 months ago, I switched to Vega Europe on BH and immediately fell in love with it.  To each his own. I hope that Xiom Vega China has the same affect.

Michael Maze ALC
Volt-T/Volt-M
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_theologian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2012 at 12:40pm
gatorling,

your explanation above regarding preferring blitz over thor's on the backhand makes a lot of sense to me... i might order a sheet of blitz to try!

thanks for taking the time to write that
gatorling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gatorling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2012 at 2:36pm
Glad I could help.

My philosophy is that my BH is there to keep me in the rally and to place the ball in a way that it forces the opponent to return a weaker return. When I get that weaker return I pivot and use my FH to solidify my advantage.
I don't expect my BH to win me points and in my experience my BH is much better suited at controlling the game rather than making points.
Sure I can punch the BH with some good speed but it's still 65%-80% of what my FH can do.
My BH however does have more control than my FH. it's easier to place shots, it's easier to block, it's easier to push. My FH can do these things but not as well as my backhand.
Blade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2012 at 12:57pm
I used to use the same set up, thors FH / Blitz BH and Gatrolings analysis sounds similar to my experience. I have stayed with Blitz as my preferred backhand rubber and for me I don't have any lack of power for loop kills on or off the table. It is one of the best rubbers I have used for flip and flip kills and it is quite linear for me on my backhand. Blitz, on fore hand is great for opening loops and steady looping but is unpredictable in it's throw level for smashes. As a backhand rubber is has all the gears I need my game (classic offensive Late 80's style). Thors is a great rubber for players who have a lot of practice time But I don't so I have opted for Renaos Hold at this time. I was using Hexer Hd and may retrun to it, but renanos give me really good spin decent power and its is so linear!

Blade
sherond33 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherond33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2013 at 8:37am
Hello everyone, I was advised to use this rubber on a butterfly defense 2 blade with DTec s on  BH. can anyone help me. I am an overdrive player (drive too much)  and I love H3 NeoSmile
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2013 at 6:36pm
You won't require much adjustment in strokes from H3 Neo. Defence 2 is quite  a nice blade, too bad it's being discontinued. Cry
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
sherond33 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sherond33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2013 at 6:47pm
Haggisv,I see your FH rubber is Thors perhaps you could share your experience using it, thanks
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2013 at 7:03pm
I haven't used it for a while (must update my signatureEmbarrassed), but I'm sure I've shared my thoughts already, probably somewhere in this huge thread. Wink

I must get back to it one day, especially to see if i like the new version any better.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
neutronbomb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neutronbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2013 at 11:49am
Just feels like a normal chinese rubber to me. Great when your active in every shot, but when you really need it for a block, it will let you down. 
USATT Rating 2059

FH Tibhar 5Q+

BH Giant Dragon Long

Hallmark Aurora
decoi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote decoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2013 at 1:59pm
didnt really like it felt a bit thin even though it was max...

TG3 BS =vega china > Thors IMO
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: TG3 BS
BH: Xiom Omega 4 Aisa

Blade: Hurricane Hao 2 (656)
Fh: Dhs Gold Arc 3
Bh: Stiga Tour H
http://www.youtube.com/user/decoyla?feature=mhee
dabookerman View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dabookerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2013 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by neutronbomb neutronbomb wrote:

Just feels like a normal chinese rubber to me. Great when your active in every shot, but when you really need it for a block, it will let you down. 

I'd have to disagree with this assessment.  I find that my block has improved dramatically since I have switched to Thors.  
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

128YinYang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2013 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

I haven't used it for a while (must update my signatureEmbarrassed), but I'm sure I've shared my thoughts already, probably somewhere in this huge thread. Wink

I must get back to it one day, especially to see if i like the new version any better.

So, what are you using these days, haggis? Is it still 999 Turbo?

Selling Everything! No set-up at this time.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2013 at 8:37pm
Yes JUIC 999 turbo,.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
128YinYang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 128YinYang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2013 at 2:07am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Yes JUIC 999 turbo,.

Man, I've always wanted to try a sheet, but I'm afraid Max may be too fast and 2.0 too slow...I prefer the feel of 2.0, but the spin/speed of max...

Selling Everything! No set-up at this time.
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/30/2016 at 4:35pm
Anyone tried Thor's with the plastic ball?
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
danjacob02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjacob02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 1:18am
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

bump for this question. I'm curious as well.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/25/2017 at 6:42am
Jeez, time seems be getting faster these days.
Is it really 2012/2013 that we discussed this rubber? Four whole years ago?

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2017 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by danjacob02 danjacob02 wrote:

bump for this question. I'm curious as well.

A friend of mine plays a mostly driving style game with it quite well. He will open loop against long heavy backspin but drive pretty much everything else.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
danjacob02 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danjacob02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2017 at 4:26pm

bump for this question again. :)
Ndragon88 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ndragon88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/24/2020 at 5:43pm
Welcome back good old forum and thread! I'm back 4 knee surgeries later and looking to take TT serious again and guess what I've been using....THORS.

Still performs beautifully FH and BH on a Samsanov Alpha and a Donic Waldner Senso Carbon, I only had 1 new sheet of Thors to put on my Stiga clipper but I can tell you now it feels amazing both sides again.

Where is Nicefrog?

Is anyone else still using this Rubber?
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 55565758>
  Share Topic