tabletennis11.com

penhold vs shakehand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2007 at 9:36pm
Seemiller!!! I am a potential world champion (at least in my mind :-)) and I feel Seemiller is the best! For years, even though I was winning, I felt pressure to shake or pen, but I recently realized I'm comfortable playing this way. I have no crossover problems and have developed a powerful loop from both sides, which is the same side of the blade. Maybe someday I'll be forced to cave in and join the Republicans or Democrats . . . i mean Shakehand and Penholder, but for now I'm independently using this grip and beating anyone who climbs down into my basement . . . or the TT Clubs I abuse. And . . . let me say for the record . . . a live thread/conversation is always better than an old recording of one. I understand many of the forum members want new post, but this is a new post for many others. I, for one, want to discuss these issues . . . live. If you don't like the post, don't open it. When I see a post I'm not interested in I skip it. Yikes, no need to complain or come down hard on a new user. Go easy on each other. We're a small group. The rest of the world thinks we're idiots for wasting our time. Everytime I walk away from my postbox with a new rubber from Cole, Jian, or Zeropong, I can see my neighbors looking out their windows and laughing at me. Trust me . . . the way we talk about our "RUBBERS" makes non-TT people wonder about us!!! My point . . . We need to support each other. It's a cruel non-ping pong world out there! Penholder, Shakehand, SeeMeWinner, etc . . . see the ball, hit the ball. Loop, loop, loop.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2007 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by sverige sverige wrote:

Kenney...are you joking with me?

Maybe its because you never experimented when you started? and recieved coaching maybe.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2007 at 9:56pm
When I was little I used bad language. My dad used his belt. He beat me. :-).
forehandloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2007 at 9:57pm
when i was young i used a bomb my younger sister used her teeth she bit me
MALIN=Making A Loop Irritate Noobs

TIMOBOLL=Tt Includes More Of Body Odour, Lob Lowly

SAMSONOV=Slicing A Massive Spin Over Non-Oxygen Vessels

MALONG=My Attack Leads Our National Encyclopedia
BobTheBuilder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobTheBuilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2007 at 10:21pm
.......U CANT CHOP.. WITH PENHOLD.

not without RPB neway (else how would u do it backhand?). and chopping shakehand is a lot easier.

penhold > all!!!111

Yasaka Extra Offensive C-Pen

FH: TG2 Neo Black

BH: Focus III Snipe Red

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2007 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by BobTheBuilder BobTheBuilder wrote:

.......U CANT CHOP.. WITH PENHOLD.

not without RPB neway (else how would u do it backhand?). and chopping shakehand is a lot easier.

penhold > all!!!111

hi bob the builder, you can chop with penhold, even backhand. it is very possible, but shakehand is obviously easier

Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 12:52pm

thers no easier i think shakehands hard it feels to disconnected

penhold is like an extension of your arm =]
Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
sverige View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sverige Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2007 at 3:58pm
All of them that ses that penhold is for chopping are crazy. And my coaches are way better than your.
Donic J-O Waldner Carbon Senso
Donic J-O Waldner red 2,3(bh)
DHS Hurricane 3 black 2,2(fh)
Markus. L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markus. L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2007 at 1:50am
Originally posted by BobTheBuilder BobTheBuilder wrote:

.......U CANT CHOP.. WITH PENHOLD. not without RPB neway (else how would u do it backhand?). and chopping shakehand is a lot easier.penhold > all!!!111

what your talking about u cant chop with rpb, my friend has teh meanest backspin with the rpb,
you just have to practice and learn how to dig the ball with the rpb.
Nittaku Acoustic-FL
fh/bh-Almana

BUTTERFLY Timo Boll TriCarbon-FL
fh/bh-Optimum MP

DONIC Waldner Senso Carbon
Markus. L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markus. L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2007 at 1:53am
btw, shakehand is the best
power=best
Nittaku Acoustic-FL
fh/bh-Almana

BUTTERFLY Timo Boll TriCarbon-FL
fh/bh-Optimum MP

DONIC Waldner Senso Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2007 at 1:54am
Originally posted by Markus. L Markus. L wrote:

btw, shakehand is the best
power=best

power without control is self destruction

sverige View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sverige Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2007 at 10:50am
I have seen wang hao chopping with penhold.(in the match between him and ma in the world cup 2006) but that was just once. I dont think you can play as a chopper with penhold. Like Joo Se hyuk.
Donic J-O Waldner Carbon Senso
Donic J-O Waldner red 2,3(bh)
DHS Hurricane 3 black 2,2(fh)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2007 at 11:21am
apparently a penholder can use both side of his bat for different purposes. you can use the reverse side to backhand chop. the forehandchop should be pretty natural

taurusvip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taurusvip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2007 at 6:19pm
to :tommyzai 
Correction to my post :

There aren't a better style penhold or shakehand,  there better players for each style,  do you agree?

Sorry for the offtopic...

Best regards
J.L.

>shakehand=power
>penhold=control

>the best of both worlds for penhold and shakehand would be the vgrip, >which is supposedly a fusion of the two holding styles
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2007 at 9:51pm
I grew up with photos of Seemiller on my wall. Hey, he was our guy and his grip felt comfortable to me.

Disclaimer: These are my opinions based on my experiments.

SEEMILLER:
1. By far the best for control, blocking, and pushing . . . NO DOUBT! Good for chopping. Need to alter grip for serves.
2. Limited range . . . burned in the corners.
3. FH is steady and accurate, but has less pop and not as good for looping due to wrist position.
4. No crossover problem. Strongest at elbow.
5. No coaches available. No training videos anywhere. No top 100 players.
6. Secondary rubber can be used for variety and special stuff. Lighter combo.

SHAKEHAND:
1. The FH side feels uncomfortable . . . less control and the angle feels strange . . . only one finger guiding direction instead of two balanced.
2. What used to be a strength (middle of the table) becomes a problem. The whole crossover thing bothers me.
3. Racket becomes thick and heavy with two beefy rubbers.
4. Strong backhand.
5. Great range.
6. Good serve position.

PENHOLDER:
1. The FH feels like a moderate wind could knock the racket out of my hand. I don't feel steady. Can't aim.
2. Great slams! I can't direct where the ball is going, but the motion feels natural and the speed is super. I don't see how anyone could say the shakehand grip helps generate a faster FH.
3. No crossover, like Seemiller.
4. BH becomes wimpy, which requires lots of footwork.
5. Reverse penholder backhand thing is ridiculous. How can anyone do this?
6. Good serves.
7. Lighter combo

V-GRIP
1. Seems like a hybrid retrofit for a disability (forgive me for saying this, but it's how i feel).
2. dido

So, what do I do? Ahhh, I don't know. Stick with Seemiller because it feels comfortable or switch to penholder. It would be easy to get good coaching in China with that style and it's really a lot like the Seemiller grip, but upside down.

I just don't know. I'll keep playing and experimenting. Open for comments . . . .BEGGING for comments . . . .

CONCLUSION: Which grip is better?
ANSWER: Would Ma Lin be as good if he choose shakehand?
Would . . . . be as good if he/she chose penholder?
Would Seemiller been as good . . .
and so on!

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2007 at 4:01pm
I must have scared off all viewers with my essay on the subject.
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2007 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

I must have scared off all viewers with my essay on the subject.
u must give others time to read, analyse, agree wif, disagree, challenge, absorb n so on so forth.....
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2007 at 4:22pm
Hey, I wrote my novel yesterday. :-).
chin_penholder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chin_penholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2007 at 10:58pm
For those of you who think penhold is bad because of the backhand then you are obviously too lazy to play this game. if you cannot run your forehand or run your backhand then you are an idiot and have no idea how to play this game. just give up if you are not willing to move for the ball. there is only a certain level of comfort that you can have. if you are lazy play with a tennis racket and look like an idiot and stop playing this game we dont need you!
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2007 at 11:04pm
Who are you directing this at?
Who said penhold is bad because of backhand?
I have a friend that's VERY stong on the BH with pushes and flips, but it's nowhere near as powerful as his FH. In comparison, it's whimpy. Still, he's good and uses his long arm reach to make up for it . . . and his lazy footwork. :-).
tiehwen View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiehwen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2007 at 11:07pm
Tz..I thought he was so pissed that he lashed out @ everyth'n/anyth'n that moves...Scary!
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2007 at 11:24pm
But why is he pissed. We are all just here discussing the strengths and weaknessess of the different styles. I was quite honest, fair, respectful and willing to discuss and debate . . . I thought. Well . . . he must have a weak backhand! Hey, my style doesn't even get enough respect to qualify for the polls and post, including this one, so THERE!
T h e N A M View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T  h  e  N  A M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2007 at 2:08am
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

But why is he pissed. We are all just here discussing the strengths and weaknessess of the different styles. I was quite honest, fair, respectful and willing to discuss and debate . . . I thought. Well . . . he must have a weak backhand! Hey, my style doesn't even get enough respect to qualify for the polls and post, including this one, so THERE!

i'm sorry... Dead

tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2007 at 2:20am
It's okay my Friend, but next time you better . . .
:-). LOL.
T h e N A M View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T  h  e  N  A M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2007 at 2:22am
i'll remember that OTHERS EXIST... always...
epuus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote epuus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2007 at 12:52pm
shakehand....
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2007 at 12:56pm
Well, for me, it's whatever style I'm able to use. I never felt comfortable with the crossover point or angle of the blade with SH.
PH feels unnatural, but I'll give it a go, and if that doesn't work I'll glue rubbers on my forehead and become the world's best blocker.
cheung88 View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheung88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2007 at 3:03pm
I like penhold, can get alot of spin on my serves and close to table attack is better than shakehand. 
Blade: DHS Hurricane Hao
FH: DHS Hurricane 3
BH: DHS G666
hut8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hut8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2007 at 8:29pm

shakehand  is  better

kokutaku  ohra  st.
hurricane  3  japanese  sponge
armstrong  attack 8L
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2007 at 12:13am
Originally posted by cheung88 cheung88 wrote:

I like penhold, can get alot of spin on my serves . . .�

I actually found the opposite to be true for me regarding serves.
My shakehand serves are really spinney, especially the BH.
I feel a more limited with penholder, but Ma Lin gives me hope!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic