Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

penhold vs shakehand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Leon Reid View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon Reid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2007 at 8:21am
i tink dat it deends on ur game nd ur level of play

penhold is way better for FH topsipn but 4 general play shakehand gives u more control of the ball

u have 2 b playin more regularly 2 b at d top as a penhold player
Seen it all done it all lost the t-shirt

Time is fikle so dont waste a second

Freinds are fikle but feel free 2 squander them

Blade:Clipper WRB
FH:Vario Soft
BH:Neos
Sponsored Links

patrick1v View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrick1v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2007 at 11:04am
i think he prob means pushing over the table ie as in return of serves in stead of choppoin which is a much bigger strokewith penhold the grip is natural for pushing
Tritone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tritone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/20/2009 at 7:52am
I play penhold. The biggest reason, to be 100% honest, is because I think it's COOL LOOKING! Plus I live in China, so I figure if I'm gonna play penhold this is the place to be, right?
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2009 at 6:47am
Penholders are dying out.
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
Ritkuro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritkuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/21/2009 at 7:57am
I play Shakehand not because it's the most commonly used grip but I want to be versatile both FH and BH.
mizutani_jun View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizutani_jun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2009 at 12:57am
i`m shakehander.
because i use lot of my BH to attack and block while FH for ball`s placement.
Totoro View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Totoro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2009 at 1:38am
I vote penhold because your options for serving are widened...
I'm 15

Clipper Wood
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 PROVINCIAL 2.15mm 38 degrees
BH: Palio CK531A OX

CPen Looper with LP twiddling, blocking hitting and LP RPB
jpingchow123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpingchow123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2009 at 3:30pm
i play penhold personally. i can play shakehand but compared to pen, it is terrible.
and i love reverse back hand lol. some reason it makes me really happy
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2009 at 3:41pm
I don't like shakehand. The crossover thing really frustrates me. It's kinda like approaching a traffic light that's green, but you know it will turn yellow briefly, then red. STOP OR GO? LEFT OR RIGHT. I just don't like getting caught in the middle in life in general.
Anyway, I will declare something here that only me and a couple other people seem to believe . . .

SEEMILLER Grip is almost the same as penholder . . . at least the way i have modified the grip. It's just flipped upside down or downside up.

So, If I switch, it will be to penholder.

What I prefer about penholder compared to standard shakehand is:

No crossover.
STRONGER FH.
Great blocking on BH.
WICKET second BH (RPB).
I like most things Asian and it feels more special to me.
I don't feel like I'm playing a small scale tennis match!!!

For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2009 at 3:42pm
I don't like shakehand. The crossover thing really frustrates me. It's kinda like approaching a traffic light that's green, but you know it will turn yellow briefly, then red. STOP OR GO? LEFT OR RIGHT? I just don't like getting caught in the middle in life in general. With my grip I can hit anything I can get to.
Anyway, I will declare something here that only me and a couple other people seem to believe . . .

SEEMILLER Grip is almost the same as penholder . . . at least the way i have modified the grip. It's just flipped upside down or downside up.

So, If I switch, it will be to penholder.

What I prefer about penholder compared to standard shakehand is:

No crossover.
STRONGER FH.
Great blocking on BH.
WICKED second BH (RPB).
I like most things Asian and it feels more special to me.
I don't feel like I'm playing a small scale tennis match!!!
Standing way back using tennis strokes is whack!!

Shadows View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2009 at 4:04pm
I still think shakehand BH is so worth it to switch though.... RPB is so hard to master compared to SH, and SH is STILL better.... ugh decisions decisions.. :P
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2009 at 6:19pm
I think it mostly depends on what feels right. It's just more special for me to use an exotic grip (by Western standards). If there were lots of Seemiller style coaches around things would be different. And, packing up and heading to China changes things. I have a choice of being very unique there or taking advantage of the great penholder coaching available. Hmmmmm.
Shadows View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/22/2009 at 6:56pm
hmm, i want to go to china too now -_- - gotta wait till summer though haha. gotta admit, playing penhold is exoticly awesome, like a rare species...
racquetsforsale View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2010 at 12:05pm
I notice that with the penhold grip, closing the paddle face for loops causes the elbow to point backwards. This is in contrast to most bent-arm shakehand forehands, which point the elbow mostly downwards. A more obvious reference point than the elbow is the top of the biceps. They point very much forward when using the penhold grip and upwards when using the shakehand grip.

This brings up another observation. With the shakehand grip, the paddle face can be closed by either rotating the forearm like an axle or by pointing the elbow backwards, kind of like doing the chicken wing (that's imitating the flapping motion of chicken wings, not the "chicken wing forehand"). Pointing the elbow backwards with the bent-arm shakehand FH feels odd and weak, but becomes more natural with a straighter arm.

Do any of you feel more leverage when looping with either elbow position?

Edited by racquetsforsale - 12/09/2010 at 8:54pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2010 at 8:55pm
bump...
cotdt View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cotdt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2010 at 9:37pm
I have some thoughts as I play with both penhold and shakehand, but my penhold is stronger as I play with it more. These are just my opinions.

As far as forehand loops, penhold gives you more range in that you can use the forehand closer to your chest, while away from the the chest the reach is about the same as the shakehand forehand.

For serves, penhold is clearly superior as you can use more wrist action to generate more spin. You see this when you compare the top penhold and shakehand players, and also in intermediate players.

Shakehand is better for chopping, especially with the forehand. Shakehand BH has a little more reach than both kinds of penhold BHs.

Traditional Penhold backhand is superior to RPB and Shakehand BH for close to the table play. Away from the table it loses its offensive power but still great for chopping. With traditional BH, you can vary the angle and spin a lot more, you've got a lot more options, and it's easy to be consistent in it.

Overall penhold gives you more options and is better in close-to-table play. I feel it is better overall, hence why penholders have been dominating the Olympics despite having a lot fewer penhold players.

These are just my opinions and in the real world the better player will win regardless of the grip.

Edited by cotdt - 12/09/2010 at 9:40pm
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2010 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

Pointing the elbow backwards with the bent-arm shakehand FH feels odd and weak, but becomes more natural with a straighter arm.

Those are quite some insights.  I ran into this exact issue when I was working on my backhand loop my forehand loop started going downhill and I never noticed my elbow gradually was pointing down and toward the torso until a friend of mine pointed it out.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2010 at 1:53pm
To illustrate, here are a couple of images of Boll with the elbow pointing down:

And here are several showing the elbow pointing more backwards with straighter arms:
Boll's arm configuration in the 2nd pic looks very tense, perhaps due to the bend in the elbow coupled with the bend in the wrist. I can feel this tension just holding my arm up like that, positioning the hand and paddle well above the elevation of the elbow, pointing the elbow down. I feel even more tension in my rotator cuff and rear delts trying to close the paddle face in this arm position.

For my FH counter/drive/loop I hit with a bent-arm when contacting the ball below my midsection. Anything higher, and especially as high as the ball is in the 2nd pic of Boll, I naturally straighten my arm a bit and my elbow naturally points more backwards. The more I close the paddle face with the straighter arm, the more the elbow points backwards naturally.
Nori View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nori Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2010 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by sverige sverige wrote:

For now Penhold is the best. Becuse that Ma Lin is the number one player of the world.
Ma Long is #1 and he is shakehand followed by 2# Timo boll who is also shakehand. 
unagidon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unagidon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2010 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by cotdt cotdt wrote:

I have some thoughts as I play with both penhold and shakehand, but my penhold is stronger as I play with it more. These are just my opinions.

As far as forehand loops, penhold gives you more range in that you can use the forehand closer to your chest, while away from the the chest the reach is about the same as the shakehand forehand.

For serves, penhold is clearly superior as you can use more wrist action to generate more spin. You see this when you compare the top penhold and shakehand players, and also in intermediate players.

Shakehand is better for chopping, especially with the forehand. Shakehand BH has a little more reach than both kinds of penhold BHs.

Traditional Penhold backhand is superior to RPB and Shakehand BH for close to the table play. Away from the table it loses its offensive power but still great for chopping. With traditional BH, you can vary the angle and spin a lot more, you've got a lot more options, and it's easy to be consistent in it.

Overall penhold gives you more options and is better in close-to-table play. I feel it is better overall, hence why penholders have been dominating the Olympics despite having a lot fewer penhold players.

These are just my opinions and in the real world the better player will win regardless of the grip.

totally agree! Thumbs Up
kong linghui special: bluefire jp01 / rakza x

my feedback
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2010 at 3:11pm
It's unnatural for me to point the elbow down like Boll does for such a high ball, yet most if not all "European" bent-arm forehands appear to share this feature. (Add the bent wrist and I guess you have the "chicken wing" FH, kind of like Samsonov's) I venture to say that pointing the elbow down like so is taught or accidentally discovered when without instruction. As such, it must have technical/biomechanical value. But what is it? I do notice I can accelerate my forearm faster and more easily with the elbow down than with the elbow back, when trying to emulate Boll's bent-arm swing.
Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2010 at 3:45pm
Nice observation racquetsforsale. Looks that when Boll bents his elbow during a stroke (by using his biceps - quite a strong muscle) he achieves an upward acceleration - while in a case of an elbow pointing backward this will result in a forward acceleration. This would explain different shot characteristics of both techniques: more archy, slower loop in a "euro stroke" and faster, flatter shot in a case of "straight arm" movement. In euro-stroke you would achieve a topspin effect by using your biceps, while Chinese rather use a wrist for this purpose (biceps adds to forward speed)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2010 at 10:54pm
In other words, stay away from this guy! Shocked

Krantz, I always thought it's the other way around---Europeans loop with less arc and more speed, e.g., Persson. Maybe I've been looking from the wrong angles?

Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2010 at 5:13am
Well, certainly we can find representatives of both styles among European players (J.M. Saive instantly comes to my mind when speaking of euro speed game), and they are using an infinite continuum of forearm movement planes between both extremes (with different wrist movement planes on top of that - and some required variation in spin between strokes), but if we can make any generalization at all then i would say that a typical stroke that we would agree to be a "euro loop" (not a smash or drive...) is producing just that: slow, archy thing. Samsonow, Ovtcharov, Boll, Waldner don’t base their game on speed (Chinese do) - although on their level their strokes obviously cannot be simply "slow".

Edited by Krantz - 12/11/2010 at 5:14am
Shadows View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2010 at 6:30am
Ooo. this thread. I've switched to shakehand. Definitely much easier to learn, more consistent backhand and a stronger loop. Serve is not as easy/good as pen, shortgame has less control for dropping short/flicks and pen still has a much faster close table fh loop. I would say overall SH is better unless you can get specialized pen coaching though :)
Krantz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krantz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2010 at 6:51am
Originally posted by Shadows Shadows wrote:

Ooo. this thread. I've switched to shakehand. Definitely much easier to learn, more consistent backhand and a stronger loop. Serve is not as easy/good as pen, shortgame has less control for dropping short/flicks and pen still has a much faster close table fh loop. I would say overall SH is better unless you can get specialized pen coaching though :)

Funny thing, I’m considering switching to penhold for a while. A total of 15 min of me playing penhold so far was a terrific experience. Most of my RPB's just beautifully landed where i wanted (including the very first one in my life) and forehand drive is a dream. I could see a nice potential in serves, although all i could do was simplest underspin so far. I like that it keeps me on my toes, I was starting to get lazy with shakehand strokes. 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racquetsforsale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2010 at 12:30pm
Is the contact point for the penhold FH loop more in front than that for the shakehand grip?
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2010 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Krantz Krantz wrote:

Originally posted by Shadows Shadows wrote:

Funny thing, I’m considering switching to penhold for a while. A total of 15 min of me playing penhold so far was a terrific experience. Most of my RPB's just beautifully landed where i wanted (including the very first one in my life) and forehand drive is a dream. I could see a nice potential in serves, although all i could do was simplest underspin so far. I like that it keeps me on my toes, I was starting to get lazy with shakehand strokes. 

Go for it! In my experience, shakehanders who pick up penhold have no rpb problem, and have only the short game to pick up on. Sometimes I wonder if it would have been better for me to have started off as shakehands before committing to penhold.
Shadows View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2010 at 1:44pm
It's generally recommended after you break 1500 that you don't change, unless just for fun :) Table tennis is very reliant on muscle memory and though most things transfer, some wont.... like the serve haha.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2010 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by racquetsforsale racquetsforsale wrote:

It's unnatural for me to point the elbow down like Boll does for such a high ball, yet most if not all "European" bent-arm forehands appear to share this feature. (Add the bent wrist and I guess you have the "chicken wing" FH, kind of like Samsonov's) I venture to say that pointing the elbow down like so is taught or accidentally discovered when without instruction. As such, it must have technical/biomechanical value. But what is it? I do notice I can accelerate my forearm faster and more easily with the elbow down than with the elbow back, when trying to emulate Boll's bent-arm swing.

Boll is using an european loop with european rubbers. He is stroking up, so the elbow is pointing down.

The chinese are using a chinese loop with chinese rubbers. They are stroking forward, so the elbow is pointing back. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic