Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

penholder with problem receiving serves

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
timtex37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timtex37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: penholder with problem receiving serves
    Posted: 02/25/2007 at 9:46pm
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone have any good pointer or videos that I should watch to improve my serve receiving skills cause it sucks.  I have a big problem returning top-spin serves with my backhand and it is pretty bad with my forehand as well. Especially when it is short top spin.

Thanks.
CPEN Blade Stiga Optimum Sync | OSP Virtuoso (awaiting)
FH DHS SkyLine 2 Neo | BH LKT Rapid Soft | Shoes Mizuno Wave Drive A
Sponsored Links

hieupham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hieupham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2007 at 10:20pm
I ve been playing with a 2000-ish Japanese guy, who play J-penhold. Everytime I do top-spin serve, he returns it with a long traditional bh push, maybe with a little sidespin push, to the far side of my fh, and sometimes it does put me in trouble. I dont know if that works for u, just a reference.
DHS Hurricane King FL
FH: B. Hurricane 3 2.2mm
BH: R. Sriver EL 2.1
varghesep View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varghesep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2007 at 4:41pm
I played with a chineese player who did the same to me. To win the game he did the same all the time, but right now that kind of long pushes is not a problem for me. I loop and that take care of it. Learn looping the balls.
timtex37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timtex37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2007 at 9:35pm
thanks for the advices

First of all, I'm a penholder so unless i use rpb, i can't loop with my backhand

if it is topspin long and high to my back hand, then, i can try to use the rpb but when it is topspin and short or low, i'm forced to do a push which makes the ball fly high for my opponent to smash or attack.
hieupham View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hieupham Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2007 at 9:52pm
oh, I was mentioning about traditional BH push, just like what Ryu Seung Min or Li Ching do all the times. From what I ve seen, pushing with side spin will make the ball flies lower, and if u re good enough, u can even cause ur opponents trouble getting the ball back. 
DHS Hurricane King FL
FH: B. Hurricane 3 2.2mm
BH: R. Sriver EL 2.1
alink91 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alink91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2007 at 11:08pm

here are my 4 solutions in order from best to worse. All three work.

1. Learn RPB, thats what I did
2. step around with fh, you gotta do it to get better
3. bh trad push quick off the bounce
4. chop block.
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 3:59am
I suggest pushing it if it comes to your backhand.  Why can't you loop it if it comes to your forhand?  You would think it would be easy to loop a topspin serve that comes to your FH
mardim View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mardim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 9:40am
Just block it with the traditional bh block but close the angle a little bit. relax the thumb and push it forward while blocking it. 
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 11:06am
Originally posted by mardim mardim wrote:

Just block it with the traditional bh block but close the angle a little bit. relax the thumb and push it forward while blocking it. 

Hey! I already told him to push it!!!  So push off!!! lol j/k
tthj2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tthj2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 11:21am

Personally I find it best to loop it back with rpb using lot of wrist and the arm; one may miss initially but it's a good way to dial in your rpb. Also, a good opportunity to practice returning shots by using different racket angles and motions to create side spin returns.

Ted
stephen chung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen chung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2007 at 9:56pm
The position I stand while receiving serve is about the same as Ryu Seung Meng but maybe abit closer to the table. I try to drive the ball back when top spin is serve to my BH. 
Blade: Butterfly Custom made 1ply Hinoki 10mm
Rubber: Bryce Hard
Ksix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ksix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/01/2007 at 12:05am
What if he happens to be a klassischez penholder ?
わが青春に悔なし
stephen chung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen chung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2007 at 2:07am
Originally posted by Ksix Ksix wrote:

What if he happens to be a klassischez penholder ?

What is klassischez penholder?
Blade: Butterfly Custom made 1ply Hinoki 10mm
Rubber: Bryce Hard
Adib View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adib Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2007 at 3:12am
hmmm,for me I just using bh push and place the ball at the backhand oppenent
Blade:Nittaku Rorin 9mm,Xiom RSM Gold,TSP YAMATO-K 10.5mm
Rubber:Black 38 degree Hurricane 3 Provincial
jasonz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasonz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2007 at 9:44am
use rpb for long top spin (more hitting than looping), use rpb flip shot for short top spin, I don't like pushing because then your opponent will start attacking
Jason Z

Stiga Xu Xin Dynasty
FH DHS TG -60 Soft
BH DHS H3 white sponge pro
timtex37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timtex37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2007 at 8:59pm
Thanks jasons and everyone else.  I think jasonz's suggestion sound good for me to try, I just have to play more and try those shots until I can actually get it.

loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2007 at 8:11am
Originally posted by alink91 alink91 wrote:

here are my 4 solutions in order from best to worse. All three work.

1. Learn RPB, thats what I did
2. step around with fh, you gotta do it to get better
3. bh trad push quick off the bounce
4. chop block.

Refering to no.3: It's a top spin serve, why would you want to take it quick off the bounce?
redknight15 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redknight15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2007 at 2:11am

I am a c pen holder... for me try using Rpb..... and hit the ball at 1 oclock angle...more arm and wrist... do a multi ball for this... and I asure you it will work

Wink
azrin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azrin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2007 at 8:28pm
first and foremost you have to be comfortable with your grip for those kind of shots timtex37...
timtex37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timtex37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2007 at 9:56pm
What you mean?

I am learning rpb now, I can hit pretty well during pratice but during game, I always forget to move and can't grasp the position of the ball due to its top or side spin and cause me to miss those shots often
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic