Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Philosophical question about training

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Olio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 4:26am
There is also a concept of time in this answer.

My first coach used to say "you practice your weak points during the season breaks and your strong points during the competitive season".

Which means when you're in a competition, your strong points are well and truely ready and effective. When the season is over, give your whole game a lift by working more on the weaker areas.

Of course if you have the chance to put in a lot of practice you can do both.
Sponsored Links

APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/2013 at 4:59am
It really depends on so many things, there can be no general answer, but I always work around the question of what is the intended goal, what is the level of the player in question, and how much time/commitment is there going to be to training. 
Many players have a stronger technique on one wing than the other but don't work enough on how to apply it, instead they chase it too much. If a player has such a weakness in technique that it is often the sole reason they lose or cannot progress, then the answer speaks for itself.
 When I was developing my own game I liked to work on everything, so I got to a standard where players had to actually beat me, rather than I lose myself through inconsistency.
 99% of players don't work on service/return enough, so when they play an opponent who has, they have a glaring massive weakness. Use self questions like this;

Has he got a good serve, or are my returns poor?

Are my serves poor, or does he return well?

questioning yourself like this helps you to identify your own weaknesses and act accordingly.
The Older I get, The better I was.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2013 at 12:39am
Some really great suggestions in this thread. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2013 at 2:36am
In our area there are two main coaches.  One is Sean O'Neil and the other is Tim Aikey.  The two coaches are completely different.  One of my practice partners goes to both coaches.  Sean O'Neil is the perfectionist whereas Tim Aikey is more pragmatic or compliant.  I use Tim for a couple of reasons.  I am 60 years old so trying to make my strokes 'perfect' is futile not that they are that bad.  When I started with Tim I wanted to approach the problem like an engineer, naturally.   In other words start with the biggest flaws first or what we would call low hanging fruit.  Essentially this means getting past the first four strokes of a rally.   As APW46 mentioned serve and serve returns are very important because all rallies start with them.  That is where we started and the main focus for 10 months now.  Tim has very nasty serves.  He practices his new ones against me.  In club round robin play I have been made essentially immune to serves and that is one of the goals.  Once I get past the first four strokes my relative strength increases a lot because I really do think like a chess player and think in terms of maneuvering  my opponent out of position more than just raw speed.

I have told my coach to not hold back and treat me like another 2100+ player even though I am not.  I am not even close but I try to make my coach work for each point.  If I make a good serve return he knows he will have to work for the point.  I don't ask for mercy and I give none.  For the most part he waits for me to self destruct but often I surprise him.  I am very good at analyzing things He doesn't have to tell me much. If my coach wins a lot of points the same way it is obvious to me I must adapt and learn how to adapt.  I also know my coaches weaknesses.  My problem is that I have to execute to take advantage of them and that is hard to do.  At first I had to adapt to his massive top spin but not that I have I can block or counter hit much of the time.  This approach would not work for a young kid that needs to be spoon fed.

I would like to take a lesson or two from Sean O'Neil just to see what he thinks but I have been told his schedule is full.

I am 60 years old.  I don't like drills in the normal sense.  I do drills to lean how to create a weakness and usually I can do that with a robot.  In real life everything is chaos and the goal is to impose you chaos on the opponent before he imposes his on you but I realize that to impose my chaos on the opponent that I have to execute.

Whang View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2013 at 10:06am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to this one but is it better to work on your strengths or your weakness?

Basically, if you have a strong backhand and weak forehand - should you spend time trying to improve the forehand or spend the time strengthening the already strong back? Assuming time is the limiting factor.

I guess another good way to put this question is would you rather be so good at one skill and poor at the rest, or be a jack of all trades but a master of none
Blade: Yasaka Gatien Extra (Penhold)

FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Black - 2.15mm - 41 deg)

BH: 729 Focus III Snipe (Red - 2.10mm - 42 deg)

Weight: 168.57g
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2013 at 10:37am
Let me as a closely related practical question:  how do people who don't have access to coaching improve a weak stroke? 
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2013 at 11:04am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Let me as a closely related practical question:  how do people who don't have access to coaching improve a weak stroke? 

The best way is to film it and be self critical.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2013 at 11:09am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

That's exactly what I do. I also ask better players after losing to them - what is the single thing, in their opinion,  I should work on to improve.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2013 at 11:13am
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

That's exactly what I do. I also ask better players after losing to them - what is the single thing, in their opinion,  I should work on to improve.

YepSmile
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2013 at 11:20am

Yes I think this is the only way.  Otherwise all you will do is reinforce the bad habits.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic