Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Playing against forehand dominant topspin player
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Playing against forehand dominant topspin player

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GabrielTopspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GabrielTopspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playing against forehand dominant topspin player
    Posted: 09/29/2019 at 3:35pm
Hello how can i play against a forehand dominant topspin player, ? - and a tacky slower rubber on the backhand ?

He has a strong forehand and a tacky rubber on the backhand, on the backhand to balls come very slowly and disrubt my rhytm. Does this rubber has an disadvantage, play with more spin against the tacky backhand ?

And how can i stop his forehand, play short mostly on the recieve and long too his forehand as changeup, and hold him mainly on the backhand and middle ?

Thank you very much.
Sponsored Links

blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2019 at 7:20am
What serves does he do and how does he receive serve?
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2019 at 9:50am
Originally posted by GabrielTopspin GabrielTopspin wrote:

Hello how can i play against a forehand dominant topspin player, ? - and a tacky slower rubber on the backhand ?

He has a strong forehand and a tacky rubber on the backhand, on the backhand to balls come very slowly and disrubt my rhytm. Does this rubber has an disadvantage, play with more spin against the tacky backhand ?

And how can i stop his forehand, play short mostly on the recieve and long too his forehand as changeup, and hold him mainly on the backhand and middle ?

Thank you very much.

The only general strategy is that you have to go to his forehand and then put the ball back on the backhand side to force him to transition.  Also helps if he likes to pivot.  But in general, every player is specific and looking for disadvantages the way you are fails to take into account the playing levels involved.  Things like serving short and opening against long balls and looping aggressively with the forehand work against everyone but you just have to be precise with quality and placement.  If someone is giving you a slower ball, adjust to the tempo and maybe play closer to the table, nothing special about it.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
pitigoi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitigoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2019 at 12:52pm
There was an earlier post about how FZD had the following strategy vs Ma Long: open with a slow spinny loop to Ma Long's BH, and then kill the return (by a more off-the bounce more direct shot, with both FH and BH). It may work.
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand, 2020-1: Stiga Allround WRB (67g)/Fastarc G-1 1.8mm/V11 > Extra max 158g
Fitness Friendship Fun
Skyline View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 6:49am
In general fh dominated players who step around a lot have problems shirt forehand, wide forehand and then back to wide backhand.
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2019 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

In general fh dominated players who step around a lot have problems shirt forehand, wide forehand and then back to wide backhand.

I am FH dominated and also slow so i can tell you this is true! 

If his BH shots are weak then keep going to his BH until he starts to step around then vary your placement from short FH, wide BH and wide FH. 

Generally when i play players my level, I feel like I can get to the first shot with my FH no matter where it is placed but when placement start to vary. After that, it gives me a lot of trouble    
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic