FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Playing like a bear - Brett Clarke

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Playing like a bear - Brett Clarke
    Posted: 11/18/2014 at 3:24pm

Amazingly simple and awesome demonstration of how to loop.
Sponsored Links

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 3:38pm
To be honest... this dude freaks me out...
vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

To be honest... this dude freaks me out...

I know right. He's really over the top. Might be catchy for some people but I couldn't even finish the video, lolLOL
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
Feedback me
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 4:19pm
Nah... He did it because people found his reverse pendulum video too serious. The insight is very profound which is why the video seems repetitive. Watch it completely a couple of times and you will be surprised how it might transform your technique.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 4:29pm
I tried this at tonight's match, but unfortunately I ended up more like a flappy-armed Winnie the Poo than the fearsome polar bear depicted. I will work on it!!!
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Nah... He did it because people found his reverse pendulum video too serious. The insight is very profound which is why the video seems repetitive. Watch it completely a couple of times and you will be surprised how it might transform your technique.

The content is solid and true.

... It's just his facial expressions along with body language make me question whether or not he had a show on Animal Planet.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 4:38pm
He is Australian, you know... The land of Tasmanian devil, Crocodile Dundee and other fearless heroes...
Cybershape Carbon
harldhzx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harldhzx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 5:01pm
Actually it takes some time and, for the likes of myself, a good and patient coach to improve the stroke in the direction of Mr. Bear.

Basically you need  some rotation of the waist to generate torque which you then release in a snapping motion. The arm adds some momentum only pretty late in the stroke and is otherwise relaxed, but not flappy, whith good joint alignment. 

Another advanced aspect is not to let the lower arm drop too low but rather move it backward again generating some torque. 

The difficult part is to learn to always do this motion even when moving around fast. You need good footwork and  a decent anticipation of the ball curve to get in position and time the swing.

Especially if you are already used to a bad motion this needs a lot of patience as it may take month or years to adjust and basically won't really work under competitive conditions for some while. 

On a positive note I know of quite a few people who got there quite fast with good coaching.  

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 5:41pm
Where else are you going to get such good advice for free

acid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 5:47pm
hahahah LOL :p

I really want to see this guy in a match. Because right now all of this "lecturing" is just a theory. Let see if he can use it in a real game. In my humbling opinion, you need a lot of practice, skills, experiences and speed to win the game. 

May be this video is good for beginners ! :)
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 5:58pm
Acid, you obviously have no idea who this guy is.  He played at the 2000 Olympics on Australian team, has played in main draw of Commonwealth games, and there is bunch of other stuff. 

Here is your wish granted --  from 200 5 semifinals of Australian Open.

slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 6:09pm
Great video Brett! I've seen Chinese coaches here in the US 'flinging' the torso of budding juniors forward and to the left so that they see the same effect. I think the bear explains it better!

I just finished watching 8 of the 9 reverse pendulum videos. We want moar!
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2014 at 6:16pm
Those who dis it's just "Casting Pearls"... k

Edited by CraneStyle - 11/18/2014 at 6:17pm
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 8:42am
I like his style, the price is nice Smile and his use of the teddy bear is a great prop for demonstrating how to have a relaxed arm IMO.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 9:58am
I don't know. I like like his videos. They're goofy mixed in with some good tid bits. The snake serve & reverse pendulum serve videos were nice.

And I don't know why but the Xu Xin, bear thing got a chuckle out of me. Smile
mahomedy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahomedy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 2:00pm
I had no idea how good a player Brett was.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by mahomedy13 mahomedy13 wrote:

I had no idea how good a player Brett was.

That's the beauty of Google. If William Henzell is posting another player's tutorial, I figured the player had to be good. So you google "Brett Clarke" and two good articles he wrote as Australian national coach and this one video show up. William calls Brett the most innovative coach he has ever worked with.

I just wish more people would do this kind of easy research and appreciate What he is sharing with us. A national level player who loves working with amateurs comes along once every blue "Kim Jung Hoon" moon.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

That's the beauty of Google. If William Henzell is posting another player's tutorial, I figured the player had to be good. So you google "Brett Clarke" and two good articles he wrote as Australian national coach and this one video show up. William calls Brett the most innovative coach he has ever worked with.

I just wish more people would do this kind of easy research and appreciate What he is sharing with us. A national level player who loves working with amateurs comes along once every blue "Kim Jung Hoon" moon.

I know.  A national coach is giving us a ton of really great free stuff in an entertaining way and people chime in with idiocy.  Blows my mind.
vutiendat1337 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vutiendat1337 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I know.  A national coach is giving us a ton of really great free stuff in an entertaining way and people chime in with idiocy.  Blows my mind.

Entertaining is relative. PingSkills guys might not be the best Aussie players but I can watch through their videos without any "lol or wtf" moment. I re-watched Brett's video and the advice is priceless and watching it the second time focusing on the content and ignoring the "goofyness", I subscribed. But do not assume that just because you are ok with a grown man doing goofy stuff with a bear in his hands, that others find it amusing or entertaining. As I said, I had to watch the video several times to get used to Brett's "comedy" which can be fairly over the top and quirky on the first try. Same with Adam Bobrow, he might as well be a "great" entertainer, commentator, moderator and "make TT more fun" but I am personally not a fan of his humor and that does not make me an idiot. 

Edited by vutiendat1337 - 11/19/2014 at 3:45pm
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
Feedback me
mahomedy13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mahomedy13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 3:46pm
a normal video like that would cost quite a bit,yet he gives it to us for free.He is definitely a person looking at the better interests of the table tennis community.My respect for him.
hookumsnivy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hookumsnivy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 3:48pm
To each their own I guess.
Brett's humor is a bit over the top but it doesn't bother me.  I think the silliness of this video goes along well since he's using the bear as a prop.
Personally I can't stand Bobrow.  

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 3:54pm
hahaha

say what you want but this guy's videos are the best. 
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 4:00pm
Brett's videos for TTedge subscribers are a lot more serious and straightforward than his freebies.  I like his videos either way.  He has a great way of showing technique (wrong and right) and not just talking about it, IMO. 

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by vutiendat1337 vutiendat1337 wrote:

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Entertaining is relative. PingSkills guys might not be the best Aussie players but I can watch through their videos without any "lol or wtf" moment. I re-watched Brett's video and the advice is priceless and watching it the second time focusing on the content and ignoring the "goofyness", I subscribed. But do not assume that just because you are ok with a grown man doing goofy stuff with a bear in his hands, that others find it amusing or entertaining. As I said, I had to watch the video several times to get used to Brett's "comedy" which can be fairly over the top and quirky on the first try. Same with Adam Bobrow, he might as well be a "great" entertainer, commentator, moderator and "make TT more fun" but I am personally not a fan of his humor and that does not make me an idiot. 

You weren't the person being called an idiot (it was someone else).  Sorry if you though that, and the idiocy I was noting had nothing to do with appreciating his humor, which may not be everyone's cup of tea. 
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 6:35pm
Teaching and making it memorable is a fine art...

I can't praise Brett enough for his unique and memorable delivery...

I just wondered how many Bears he tried before he found The Bear with a great Topspin stroke and angle ...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 8:28pm
Table Tennis Exhibition by PingSkills - YouTube

Edited by smackman - 11/19/2014 at 8:29pm
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2014 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

Table Tennis Exhibition by PingSkills - YouTube
Does Alois know what he's talking about? Oh yes indeed! This clip is a masterclass in coming from behind.

And just to tie it all together nicely: Brett Clarke (TTEdge) and Jeff Plumb (PingSkills) were doubles partners at the Sydney Olympics.

[Qualifying round: Aus-2 def. Cuba 2-0
Group H: Germany def Aus-2 2-0
Group H: Serbia & Montenegro def. Aus-2 2-0]
Brett Clarke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 4:43am
Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

Teaching and making it memorable is a fine art...

I can't praise Brett enough for his unique and memorable delivery...

I just wondered how many Bears he tried before he found The Bear with a great Topspin stroke and angle ...

Hi CraneStyle, 

LL Beary is my only bear. 

Guys, I didn't expect everyone to like this video and it's totally cool. It definitely pushed the limits. If someone took a couple of positives, I'm more than happy with that. I did laugh a lot when I read through the posts here though.

Cheers, Brett
Table Tennis Videos by Brett Clarke
Hopper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 8:43am
Brett,

Please, keep pushing the limits !
Roaming the internet for table tennis related info for quite some years now but never had such a laugh (in combination with priceless knowledge) since your broadcasts. LOL

I assume TTEdge currently sees a big uprise in membership, with all table tennis lovers with a good sense for humor now joining the site.

Best regards (also to your bear, your snake, and the japanese ninja backspin service assistant),
Hopper

Edited by Hopper - 11/20/2014 at 8:48am
Brett Clarke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2014 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Hopper Hopper wrote:

Brett,

Please, keep pushing the limits !
Roaming the internet for table tennis related info for quite some years now but never had such a laugh (in combination with priceless knowledge) since your broadcasts. LOL

I assume TTEdge currently sees a big uprise in membership, with all table tennis lovers with a good sense for humor now joining the site.

Best regards (also to your bear, your snake, and the japanese ninja backspin service assistant),
Hopper

Hey Hopper, thanks for your post. You know, I'm not exactly sure where the limit is. I expected this video to polarize people somewhat. I'm shocked that I haven't received more negative feedback from other videos. I've just been waiting for someone to say, "To be honest... this dude freaks me out..." as per the second post here. 

To the person that posted my semi against Gerada in 2005, thanks for the reminder of a match long forgotten. I was leading 3-1 and 7-3 and lost. Gerada had an edge on me during our playing time together. He was ranked about 160-180 in the world at the time of the match. And, incidentally, he contacted me on FB as I was watching the replay above to laugh about the bear.

Cheers, Brett
Table Tennis Videos by Brett Clarke
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic