Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please Critique

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
bumpernets19 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please Critique
    Posted: 01/23/2010 at 1:04am

Hi all, this is where I will post my first video as soon as someone tells me how to embed the file from youtube.

Rating: 1232
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
Sponsored Links

spitfire View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spitfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 1:14am
why not just give us a link?
Anton Chigurh View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anton Chigurh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 1:16am
Originally posted by bumpernets19 bumpernets19 wrote:

Hi all, this is where I will post my first video as soon as someone tells me how to embed the file from youtube.

Can't you just copy/paste the URL and then hyperlink it?

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 1:35am
yea I can easily but I figured all of the guru wizs would be all over the embedding stuff so here ya'll go...

Anyways. This is my first tournament since around thanksgiving so...And this is my worst tourney thus far...two and out. So I figured it would be the best one to recieve criticism on. I am playing barnabas gonzales who is approaching 1900 rapidly and is easily the best under 20 at our club. Sorry no one really gets to see what I can do since he never gives me an opportunity but enjoy and critique.
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 1:52am
btw thanks in advance.
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
MildSeven View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MildSeven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 2:09am
Which one are you? Your playing area is awfully cramped length wise, you can't even play mid distance.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 2:17am
oh yea its terrible but it makes you a lot better at reacting to balls. I'm the far side...I get killed but respectively to someone who has always been much better.
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 2:28am
Embed the youtube link in the opening post,
by:
[GLASH HEIGHT=344 WIDTH=425]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foWCDy68SFk[/GLASH]
Replacing both "GLASH" by "FLASH"

Looking briefly...
It looks like that guy has more space than you.
Long serves should be looped, not chopped. Practice more on this. Forehand block shouldn't be a stop sign. You need to start the block like a loop, with a body turn and have the bat sideways.
Also, be ready to attack after you serve.If you serve topspin, expect to attack a topspin flip/flick. Serve backspin, expect to attack a backspin push.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 2:38am
thanks for the post help and on the blocking lol its a little easier to block when i have time to think about it. I'm squeezed so tight I dunno if I can even take a step back. Hopefully tomorrow I will have a much better video of my gf and I on here that will make me look a tad better than this crap haha :P
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
ttguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 2:39am
1900? You are still far to reach this goal.
Here is the video for the competition for 1300

Anthony Chu (the winner) is ranked around 1000 now.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 2:53am
he is 1900. Not me. I'm not ranked in the usatt. Thanks for the comparison though. My game at peak though is b/t 16 and 17. Thats what I've been told by most peers and the owners. I've never had a coach :(
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 2:56am
nvm no thanks for the comparison I would beat those two. Just being honest not mean. I know that I posted a bad video for a reason, but thats because I wanted the most constructive criticism...that however, is a joke to me.
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
rupertgriffin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rupertgriffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 3:01am
Ready position: Left foot should be a bit more in front of the right

Bh loop: You punch upward kinda. Try backhand looping like you were throwing a frisbee. Elbow should rotate, staying in the sameish position

fh loop: Try starting more below or behind the ball depending what spin it has on it. You started at the ball for the one you did.

Chops: you slice at the ball/table going sideways. This will lack control. Try stabbing/chopping downwards at the table. Sometimes in pro tt vids you hear thier bats hit the table.

Grip: your grip is backhand orientated. Try twisting the blade face so forehands are comfortable aswell as backhands.

I think you tried chopping long balls because theres no confidence in loops. Kennys right saying there is necessity to practice looping, esp looping underspin. If we cant loop underspin, we are stuck chopping everything which will be boring, waiting on them to initiate topspin rallies.

tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 3:06am

You need to have coach to correct your form and basic footwork. Based on your Avatar, your equipment is too fast for you and not good for your development. Fast equipment is good for smashing but you would not have the control and feel/touch for the ball when you want to loop, flip or to generate the good spin.

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 3:08am
thanks you two
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 3:36am
Thanks bumper,
 you are brave to put a vidio on here as most people won't . So look at each post and comments and take the best ideas and work on them.
 My only two comments are
1. mental ; you think your mate is much better than you so therefor you will always loose. so just take the approach of playing with confindence and play to beat him, if you can win 1 point then you can win two ,
2. practice recieving serves, multiballs, to build up mussle memory

good luck
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Boss1703 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss1703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 4:40am
two things.

one: how is it possible to play when shoes go out of your feet so easily?

two: don' smile and talk all the time with the other player... be more focused on the ball... be concentrated. i think you could avoid easy mistakes.
https://www.facebook.com/pierrefiassemapageping

updated 20.11.10 http://bosscollection.skyrock.com

http://tennisdetablecomtests.skyrock.com

VanTC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanTC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 4:47am
Im also new here, I play TT about 2 year ago.like pumpernets19 I've never had a coach.
Could you please give me some advice?
Im the asian one, from Vietnam, and apologize for my english...
Sorry also pumpernets19, that i put my video here, i dont know how to create a new thead...
in club i just training with those 2 young friends:
and watch a lot of TT video...
thanks in advance!
Takadigi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Takadigi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 5:40am
Originally posted by bumpernets19 bumpernets19 wrote:

nvm no thanks for the comparison I would beat those two. Just being honest not mean. I know that I posted a bad video for a reason, but thats because I wanted the most constructive criticism...that however, is a joke to me.

I doubt you will be able to score even 4 points against either of those two.
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 5:43am
bumpernets, always make it a habit when doing a bh or a fh stroke that the ball should be in the center line of your body. i think you need to practice your side to side movements or sidestepping. also learn to receive side spin or no spin balls. dont chop or push all of them
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 5:49am
van, you're movements are a bit stiff. you should relax your arm and maybe add some more wrists in your strokes
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 6:02am
Originally posted by ttguy ttguy wrote:

dont these kids go to GLTTC? i believe iv seen them somewhere.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
VanTC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanTC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 6:27am
thank yogi_bear!, someone sad to me this problem 6 months ago, i still try but it seem that i can not relax my arm hix hix....
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 7:01am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

van, you're movements are a bit stiff. you should relax your arm and maybe add some more wrists in your strokes

Kudos to the original poster, videos take courage.

And while I agree with the body relaxation, wrist at this point is a bad idea.

Many of the strokes were very "arm only" and not leg, hip, torso, shoulder, arm in that order.

To build consistency, you want to develop a foundation.

The foundation is footwork, and then strokes that begin at your feet and move through your body.

If you allow different muscle groups to share the load of the stroke, you reduce the chance of error, and you gain power at the same time.

Only develop wrist skills when you have the foundation.

ADVICE:
Switch to ALL+ gear: it will help you learn to use your whole body to generate strokes.

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 7:20am
Originally posted by ttguy ttguy wrote:

Wow, he is better than the guy with the alleged 1900 rating.

This USATT ratings are foggy mystery to me. I always suspected that utter pragmatism leads to fancy metaphysics.
VanTC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanTC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 7:31am
thank icontek, to develop a basic is difficult, because in our club there are noone has good technic, other clubs are a bit too far. I just look training vid and try to immitate ( Kong training vid), but in training i just cant see myself, just think "i do may be correct" hu hu...
yes Icontek right, i've tried wristmovement, then complete went to hell... i cant do that way now.
I have a MM and HK, both with Bryce, but with normal glue, i think my combi is about All+ or Off-.
chris.b40 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.b40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 8:27am
something is wrong with the rating system
      AVALOX BLUE THUNDER
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 5:27pm
k to everyone...Curly headed guy that wins the match is the one that is 1900. Not me. His name is barnabas and he played in baltimore with ken cameron and merlarimsa from mytt. They will vouch he is 18-1900 and he is only 18. I keep trying to say that I am not rated and I'm not sure why people keep assuming that I'm the 1900 player. Thanks all for the tips. Like I said, I will probably try to get a better video up of me tonight playing a highschool coach/friend of mine. And yes I could score four points on those children but thanks for the confidence boost. :P
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by VanTC VanTC wrote:

Im also new here, I play TT�about 2 year ago.like pumpernets19�I've never had a coach.

Sorry also pumpernets19, that i put my video here, i dont know how to create a new thead...

thanks in advance!

Nice backhand about 45 seconds in. I want to do mine like that, but barnabas (opponent in video) tells me its always better to pull it from between the legs in the center of your body rather than from your hip (left to right). Not sure why though maybe someone can inform meh.
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
Rogson View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2010 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by VanTC VanTC wrote:

Im also new here, I play TT about 2 year ago.like pumpernets19 I've never had a coach.
thanks in advance!

I don't have that much experience with looping, but I think you could reduce your follow through a little bit, I was taught that it had to end in a salute motion or in your forehead, I see that it goes a little too high and that could reduce your recovery time significantly.....

Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive
Forehand DHS Hurricane 3
Backhand DHS Hurricane 2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic