Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please Critique

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Fruit loop View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruit loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by BarnabasG BarnabasG wrote:

please send me sum links to ur vids. i dnt have time to waste looking up vids of sum1 i dnt know and dnt care to watch. i will watch them if u send them to me then i can talk trash about how bad u r cuz thats all u do anyway. TROLL!!!!

Just woke up. Knock yourself out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wZATDwlk3I

I don't really care for your comments, just posting because you called me out. It's an old video(comparatively to the time i've been playing) and I've most likely finished the issues you've come up with.
Timo Boll Spirit FL
Dr Evil ox both sides.
Sponsored Links

BarnabasG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarnabasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 11:33pm
I really appreciat you understang. i'm not even sure how to add friends on here but i would like to add you so can you send me a request. Thank you so much!
BG
BarnabasG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarnabasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 11:39pm
Dnt wry i wont sink to your lvl and just make fun of you. i already saw this vid b4. yes you have problems just like any1 else that has only played for 2 years. your forehand stroke is huge and u force ur back hand alot. also you dnt attack long serves on your forehand though you do with your backhand. if u have fixed these problems then i guess you should b good to go. please post a newer 1 if u have a chance i would luv to watch it.
BG
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2010 at 11:40pm

I really appreciat you understang. i'm not even sure how to add friends on here but i would like to add you so can you send me a request. Thank you so much!
HAHA! The TROLL has figured out that there is someone better than him. LOLLOLLOL
bumpernets19 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 12:01am
that was cool tdragon...anyways its not like facebook barnabas...you don't add anyone...you just comment on topics that you think are interesting, and conversations get started...(as well as arguments). Its how i learn about products soon to come out and tournaments near by and stuff...You'll like it as soon as you stop harrassing ppl :P
Rating: 1232
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
BarnabasG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarnabasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 1:04am
there r plenty of ppl better then me, ur just not 1 of them!
BG
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 1:45am

I looked up Mr. Gonzalez rating history on the USATT website.   There is a Barnabas Gonzalez from Alabama with a 2yr playing history.

Around 1070 to 1841 in one year and 2 months is really impressive.   He then maintained rating in the 1800 to 1850 range for next 9 months.  No rating data for 2010 yet.

I really wonder why posted video's seem to make people look lower rated than they are.  Do we tend to remember the really good shots and forget the bad ones of the people we play with often so that our internal reference for what a 1600 player looks like is really more like an 1800 one.   In looking at this video I would not have thought Mr. Gonzales was 1800 level.   I am rated around 1500 and when I look at my videos I tend to think it looks more like a 1300 player.   There could also be a some affect from low FPS rates making the movement look more jerky and less coordinated than we see in person. 

Has anyone seen any video that makes a person look 200+ points higher rated than they actually are?

Mark
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 1:51am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

I looked up Mr. Gonzalez rating history on the USATT website.   There is a Barnabas Gonzalez from Alabama with a 2yr playing history.

Around 1070 to 1841 in one year and 2 months is really impressive.   He then maintained rating in the 1800 to 1850 range for next 9 months.  No rating data for 2010 yet.

I really wonder why posted video's seem to make people look lower rated than they are.  Do we tend to remember the really good shots and forget the bad ones of the people we play with often so that our internal reference for what a 1600 player looks like is really more like an 1800 one.   In looking at this video I would not have thought Mr. Gonzales was 1800 level.   I am rated around 1500 and when I look at my videos I tend to think it looks more like a 1300 player.   There could also be a some affect from low FPS rates making the movement look more jerky and less coordinated than we see in person. 

Has anyone seen any video that makes a person look 200+ points higher rated than they actually are?

Mark

Yes, Anthony Chu, posted earlier in this thread.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 2:30am
Chu came into that tournament rated 1289.  USATT ratings page has him at 1324 now.  So +200 points would be 1500 level.   I have to agree that you could take him for 1500 based on that video.  Pivot step to hit the forehand loop off her underspin serve to his backhand was impressive whether or not he actually made the shot. 

His game reminds me a lot of mine.  Looks really great as long as that first big shot does not come back :)

Mark
BarnabasG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarnabasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 2:38am
Thank you so much 4 looking that up. i havnt played n a tourny once this year and now i'm super hungry 4 one. i'm playing in the Cary Cup and another tourny n Alabama the week after. hopefully i will go up, but we will see Smile
BG
tdragon View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 4:11am
Who cares about your rating? None even criticized your style, but you come in here keep talking like $h!t. Well! good player would help others. Grow up man. Come to California then you will learn your lesson. You rating is overrated on your state since no good people around to teach you a lesson. Confused
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 5:23am
Keep baiting him Dragon, you might get him to bite and have a ball when he shows up. He would enjoy the Baltimore/DC area as well, lots of joker a awitin' over there as well. On of my friends came down to Texas and didn't quite make the level he expected, (No sleep probably didn't help!) but when he went back to home ground, he shot up to the rating he expected. certain hotspots in USA are harder to get ratings points than others for sure. CA, TX, and MD are a few. We wouldn't be able to have this kind of talk and fun without the TT forums.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BarnabasG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarnabasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 9:33pm
I agree with you. also i just played  n the teams tourny n Baltimore, went up 15 points so i was happy. not really sure who the dragon guy is but i beat a couple of guys from Ca. if that means anything. they were like 1600 sumthing and 1800 sumthing.
BG
ladiesman69 View Drop Down
Permabanned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladiesman69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 9:34pm

Just tell me where u live and dnt expect me to clean any floors 4 u unless u r that great.

For Barnabas has seen the light!See my signature? That's right buddy, it's me: Rabbit Fence 2lgt2quit.

Get your mop and bucket Mr. Gonzales, my show court needs to be clean by tomorrow evening.
BarnabasG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarnabasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 11:10pm
1st u spelled my name wrong, 2nd u rnt even good enough to meet me so dnt talk to me about cleaning ur worthless floors.  all u do is talk trash about a place that prolly doesnt even exist. "my courts" LMAO, u mean ur basement with ur cardboard table. tell me your actual name or post a vid then i can actually see how good you r unless you r scared.
BG
BarnabasG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarnabasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 11:13pm
played in the teams tourny and beat sum ppl from cali, talk trash to sum1 who cares. i dnt need a coach to beat you.
BG
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 11:37pm

Barnabas;

First off, I will concede that you are a far better player than I will likely ever be; at my advanced age and with my limited opportunity for coaching and play time.

But I would remind you that internet forums are not AOL instant messenger nor are they text messages (it's not an immdiate dialogue and there is no character limit). You will likely find that the abbreviations and shortcuts that helped save time in the former mediums will cost you both credibility and comprehension when discussing topics on a message board frequented by folks accross the globe (many of whom speak english as a second language).

So I ask for all of our sakes, that you take the time to use grammar and punctuation fits the medium you are using. I'm not asking for essays with perfect spelling, but the use of shorthand in a forum is unnecessary.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/15/2010 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Barnabas;

But I would remind you that internet forums are not AOL instant messenger nor are they text messages (it's not an immdiate dialogue and there is no character limit). You will likely find that the abbreviations and shortcuts that helped save time in the former mediums will cost you both credibility and comprehension when discussing topics on a message board frequented by folks accross the globe (many of whom speak english as a second language).

So�I ask for�all of our sakes, that you take the time to use grammar and punctuation fits the medium you are using. I'm not asking for essays with perfect spelling, but the use of shorthand in a forum is unnecessary.

I was going to say that.   Thanks!   Probably thinks he's cooler than all of us...   
BarnabasG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarnabasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 1:53am
LOL, no I was just in a hurry like he said. can i use LOL or is that also illegal? just kidding anywho i dnt think i'm better then alot of ppl but i do hate it when people love to talk trash about someone they just met. I usually get carried away and start talking alot of trash sorry to thoughs i offended and to those who want to play me post a vid or a name or tell me where you live or sumting. thanks
BG
ttguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 2:32am
Not sure what you are bragging about. Your video clearly show your laughable skills. I guess that you used to beat the same low rank player to build up your ranking. LOL. LOLLOLLOL
By the way, youtube has all the video of 2000 rank player. If you don't know how to search, then let me know so I could show you some.

You've better learned how to shut up
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 2:36am
...i wouldn't take that too hard from ttguy...lol .07 posts a day...He just shows up to tell you that you're laughable then runs?
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
BarnabasG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarnabasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 2:59am
LOL you are a real joke. Please tell me how i can get my lvl up just by beating lower level players. do you even play table tennis. you are making yourself sound stupid. Thanks for making me feel smart!
BG
melarimsa View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melarimsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 3:18am
I will beat Barnabas in my dream, with one eye and one hand, with spoon :) What is up boy ? Cat got your tongue ? Ha ha ha ... How is everything man ?
BarnabasG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarnabasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 3:38am
Dude, i'm doing great. how are you?
BG
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 4:12am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Barnabas;

First off, I will concede that you are a far better player than I will likely ever be; at my advanced age and with my limited opportunity for coaching and play time.

So I ask for all of our sakes, that you take the time to use grammar and punctuation fits the medium you are using. I'm not asking for essays with perfect spelling, but the use of shorthand in a forum is unnecessary.

You are what you practice.  If you do 20,000 texts a day, then that kind of pseudo-English is going to permeate the rest of your writing, then your speach, and eventually your thinking.  Imagine if all your thoughts were limited to 140 characters.

It is one of the frustrating aspects of MTT that people have really different ideas of what makes participation worthwhile.  I'm an adult, so I'm interested in thoughts, dialog, reasoned opinions and careful observations.  Many of the kids are mostly interested trash-talking, bravado, and loud proclamations.  I understand that that's just the way they are for that age, but at times I wish someone would invent a special forum "for those who have trouble connecting their brains with their mouths."

By the way, I agree with those who said that the original video for this thread didn't show either player in their best light, but I wouldn't try to judge either of them from that one video.  It's too short, there wasn't enough room on the back side, and it didn't show enough variations in the rallies to judge their overall skills.  I think the original poster would be better off getting a video with a couple of tournament matches against different opponents and then posting that.  And since they're both kids, they'll probably be a lot better than that in six months anyway.
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 7:45am
I honestly think the USA would be better off with a ranking list, rather than an all inclusive ratings system. Everyones results stored and processed, and only the top 500 players results published. The points total of each player fluctuating within current activity, any non activity for a given period results in exclusion. It would stop all this rubbish anyway, as everone with half a brain knows only too well, respect as a player in earned over time on the table in competition, not because you are a '1500' '1900' or '2200' player, in a country the size of the USA most of you have never seen each other let alone played each other. In the English ranking list I have played 115 of the current top 200 players, if I don't play I go off after 6 months, but stay on the computer for two yrs, after that I don't have a rating. Non of this bullsh*t, I'm better than you crap, we have to prove it on the table, and we're only as good as our last win. 
on the issue of ratings, there is usually a big difference in standards of a player who is rapidly improving, and a player who has levelled off/stopped improving, even if they have the same rating, because the improving player cannot instantly reflect his improvement in his results, there is always a lag due to the time delay of available events and results being processed.
The Older I get, The better I was.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 9:15am
good suggestion apw, just wish it would stand...as it does not affect me anyways as I am well out of the top 500...probably top 100,000
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 9:28am
Originally posted by bumpernets19 bumpernets19 wrote:

good suggestion apw, just wish it would stand...as it does not affect me anyways as I am well out of the top 500...probably top 100,000

In all countries your ratings give you rankings anyway, and the Americans have many under 1500,1300,2000 etc competions rather than calling them A,B,C,D,E,f grades etc and no body wants to be called a F grader etc lol,. In New Zealand we have mainly graded competions and a lot of aged grouped ones as well,
and like Apw said in a smaller sized Country you get to play many of the top players, I would say that I would have played against 25-30 National Champions if not more lol (a national champion could mean the over 40's champ or womens under 21 etc)

but I do get sick of the bragging lol
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 12:30pm

There are plenty of players in the UK, All towns and cities have leagues, but they are run seperately from national competitions and not part of the ranking/rating scheme, these leagues were among the first formed in the World in the 1920's 1930's and are steeped in tradition. some players play in both 'local' and national competitions, but most only local so they do not have a rating. this means out of the 20,000 or so competitive players, only 1000 have a rating at any one time. NOT always a reflection of standard, some very good players only play locally and are not rated. I think the problem of TT being in isolated pockets is a problem in any country, and its easy for players to suffer from 'Big fish in Little pond' syndrome.

The Older I get, The better I was.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

I honestly think the USA would be better off with a ranking list, rather than an all inclusive ratings system. Everyones results stored and processed, and only the top 500 players results published. The points total of each player fluctuating within current activity, any non activity for a given period results in exclusion. It would stop all this rubbish anyway, as everone with half a brain knows only too well, respect as a player in earned over time on the table in competition, not because you are a '1500' '1900' or '2200' player, in a country the size of the USA most of you have never seen each other let alone played each other. In the English ranking list I have played 115 of the current top 200 players, if I don't play I go off after 6 months, but stay on the computer for two yrs, after that I don't have a rating. Non of this bullsh*t, I'm better than you crap, we have to prove it on the table, and we're only as good as our last win. 
on the issue of ratings, there is usually a big difference in standards of a player who is rapidly improving, and a player who has levelled off/stopped improving, even if they have the same rating, because the improving player cannot instantly reflect his improvement in his results, there is always a lag due to the time delay of available events and results being processed.

People would still know their rating, right? I mean they are calculated so that the federation can compile the 500 list - so why not make them all public?

I am not saying I like this rating worship thing that goes on in some (especially young) minds. But people who like to watch the ratings will watch something even if the ratings are not public. It's just your basic immaturity... also ratings can be a useful tool in measuring one's progress - especially for amateurs. The top 20 probably are not interested in ratings - first, they played this for so long they don't care anymore, secondly they all know who plays what level so it doesn't really matter for them if someone among them drops 50 points or gains 30...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic