Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please Critique

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 6:07pm
ladiesman that had nothing to do with your privacy, that post was towards both of you. So either knock it off or you can just be banned, you've been politely warned, both of you.
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
Sponsored Links

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by ttguy ttguy wrote:

The whole USATT rating system is so dump. I know that some of people even default the game to avoid losing points. Some coaches even intentionally give one or two game to students to raise their points. Some people even go to low-rating event to easily get points.
It is really suck. Confused

The rating system is just that - "the ratings". Unless they are calculated in some illogical or unhealthy manner, favoring some special interests, or have some obvious mistakes in them, there is nothing wrong in any of them.

The fact that people abuse these systems or worship them so much that they do these unsavory things you described doesn't make the ratings any more (or less) meaningful.

Blaming ratings for the things that people do is like saying that Kenneth Lay was a crook because he liked large numbers (of dollars) and therefore, numbers (and arithmetic) are to blame for the Enron fraud.

Same goes for more complicated stuff - like stock options pricing using Black-Sholes model and Brownian motion differential equations. Going into sophisticated derivatives was one of the things contributing to the financial crisis but the culprit here is not mathematics but old as dirt human vice of avarice.

Anyway, I hope you got my point...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by ladiesman69 ladiesman69 wrote:

Originally posted by bull_harrier bull_harrier wrote:

Ok this thread was about critiquing someone's game, this incessant back and forth trash talk is getting a little old. Settle it through pm and quit hijacking the thread. 

So you don't know how to respect my privacy, huh? You're about to cross some f**king lines mate! Mr. Gonsalty can't just come in here guns blazing talking big when he is in fact a fish mongler's wife! Learn your place Bull_Harrier.

You're just another new kid on the block to me, and I'm not afraid of taking you down like the rest of 'em. If you want to have a chat with me, we can do it here like real men.

Also, no.

Forgot to take your pills, pal? If you do not care whether you want to be here on this forum or not, that's your business. But your attitude and language are not welcome here. As bull_harrier said, there will be no more warnings for you.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
BarnabasG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarnabasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 6:47pm
LOL, thanks for also being racist! apparently your just another no name duche bag that likes to talk trash. reguardless of my rating i can beat you. stop talking trash and post a vid nancy boy or better yet just NANCY! go play tiddly winks or something you mite actually b good at.
BG
bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 6:53pm
BaranasG if you don't  knock it off you're going to be banned, so cool down and actually be intelligent when you post or you can be gone, it's your choice.
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
BarnabasG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarnabasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2010 at 6:55pm
sry dude, i really didnt notice till after that last post. I'm done talking to the chinese banana!
BG
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2010 at 2:04am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

Its just that in every single conversation involving American players/members the first thing asked is 'what is your rating' or 'Im not rated but everyone tells me I would be 1600' its as if the ratings have replaced reality.

To be fair, it's perfectly reasonable to know what level others play at and ratings, at least in theory, are a good way to make that determination.  And most Americans recognize that if they're talking to someone from another part of the world, that person likely has no rating but is still likely quite strong (by American standards).

On the other hand, that line about "I would be 1600" is, as you say, common and irritating.  It's an ego thing, right?  A higher rating means more respect and that's why people exaggerate.  So maybe the real problem is that we assign too much privilage to higher rated players.  Instead of just saying they're better, we make them and their opinions more important, out of proportion to the importance of the sport in life.  So people, who naturally want more respect, exaggerate.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2010 at 2:11am
Originally posted by figgie figgie wrote:

Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

The Ratings Central system is mathematically superior to the system used at USATT, but we'd still have the same problems about people obsessing on ratings, manipulating the system, geographic variations, etc.

Of course, all this discussion is theoretical.  It is hard for me to imagine that USATT will make any changes in their rating system.

I am going to disagree.

mathematically it is DIFFERENT.

What I can tell you is that RC is deflationary over time. In the end, the state of Minnesota uses it for establishing seed and nothing more

If you look at RC, we are all a bunch of 1800 players. with a couple of 2000 level players. Ming is 2300. Thor is around high 2200. Mitch is mid 2200. Lots of mid 2000 players etc. Ofouse RC does not show that ;)

There is a mathematical theory behind RC that is far superior to the crude system used at USATT.  Part of that math is to make the ratings less precise if you're not rated as often.  That is, it recognizes that it's ratings will be inaccurate if you don't get rated often, which is a darn sight better than the system in USATT.  Nonetheless, USATT will be more accurate for most Americans simply because most people are seldom or never rated by RC.  A rating system will only work if an overwhelming majority of players are rated by that system on a regular basis.

Completely off topic, but we have a student of Mitch's coming to our next Stellan camp: Michael Tran.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2010 at 2:20am
Originally posted by bumpernets19 bumpernets19 wrote:

thanks bull for that... and thanks loopmiester for judging my junk correctly :P and thanks Great australian bunny for shutting the hell up. Anywho another question to the great forum members...do you think its easier to base a rating on form against a robot or against a player? I might post a few vids of Erin and I playing the robot?

Forget the robot.  Against a robot, I can make myself look like Wang Liqin, but then we get to real life matches and it's just a little bit different. LOL

Take videos of several tournament matches, but then you'll need to cut them down to just the highlights.  And some of us will watch and comment without badmouthing you.
bumpernets19 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2010 at 10:30am
lol oka the vids will be up shortly. also some vids hopefully of the alabama teams tourney...my first tournament.
Rating: 1232
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
BarnabasG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarnabasG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2010 at 12:13pm
hey did you get confirmation yet. I have been looking like five times a day to see if you got in. There is only one spot left. I hope you get in!
BG
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/17/2010 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Jonan Jonan wrote:

They do a couple things very nicely, but ultimately, an untrained adult player would have faster, spinier loops than trained children. Their little counter hit style isn't effective against adults.

While I agree in principle, technique combined with tactics can often overcome the untrained adults. Reference Namkyu Oh's victims on his way to US2000 - (he started beating US2000 players by age 12, if I recall correctly).
Form isn't everything, there are 2200 level players who have what looks like horrible form and unorthodox playing styles and terrible footwork and there are 1300 rated players who look like Wang Liqin out there but can't land their shots and have a poor all around game.

Truth right there.
US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2010 at 10:05am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

Originally posted by Jonan Jonan wrote:

They do a couple things very nicely, but ultimately, an untrained adult player would have faster, spinier loops than trained children. Their little counter hit style isn't effective against adults.

While I agree in principle, technique combined with tactics can often overcome the untrained adults. Reference Namkyu Oh's victims on his way to US2000 - (he started beating US2000 players by age 12, if I recall correctly).
Form isn't everything, there are 2200 level players who have what looks like horrible form and unorthodox playing styles and terrible footwork and there are 1300 rated players who look like Wang Liqin out there but can't land their shots and have a poor all around game.

Truth right there.
Not yet but my check has been mailed almost 2 weeks now so I would think that if I didn't get in he would have already called me. I just think they go about updating it all wrong...making ppl wait till the last minute to see if they are even in are not sucks. I called him so long ago and told him I was mailing the check the next day, and there weren't even entries up on the site yet...
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumpernets19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/18/2010 at 10:06am
whoops, meant to quote barnabas, but anyways...sorry.
Xiom Zetro Quad
Hurricane 3 FH
Hexer + BH
LobbedYoud0wn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LobbedYoud0wn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2010 at 8:52pm
i know this isn't the main point of the thread, but why are people in this thread talking as if usatt 1800-1900 is the pinnacle of achievement? i know a few people on here who are well above that level but it seems as if its the holy grail in this thread, regardless of if barnabas is 18 or 42 for example... in MD, NJ/NY, CA, 1700-2000 juniors are run of the mill

just my input Shocked
ladiesman69 View Drop Down
Permabanned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ladiesman69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/07/2010 at 4:21am
Originally posted by LobbedYoud0wn LobbedYoud0wn wrote:

i know this isn't the main point of the thread, but why are people in this thread talking as if usatt 1800-1900 is the pinnacle of achievement? i know a few people on here who are well above that level but it seems as if its the holy grail in this thread, regardless of if barnabas is 18 or 42 for example... in MD, NJ/NY, CA, 1700-2000 juniors are run of the mill

just my input Shocked

Well by all accounts his rating is incredibly inflated thanks to his demographic. That aside, that is the point of many of the posters - 1900 USATT is pretty average. It's really annoying when someone thinks they are top stuff for a mediocre achievement. It's even better when there is a video disproving everything they say.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic