Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please Help Me Buy The Right Bat!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
-Legacy- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -Legacy- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please Help Me Buy The Right Bat!
    Posted: 08/30/2006 at 9:22pm

Hi all.

BACKGROUND: I have been playing a lot of TT this summer.  I am by no means a great player yet but I'm getting good at certain things such as hitting a hard forehand loop with decent topspin.  I also have been getting better and increasing the speed of my backhand loops with topspin. 

STYLE OF PLAY: I use the shake hands grip. As mentioned, I like to attack the ball with forehand and backhand loops (this is just topspin right?) as often as possible.  The thing is my opponents do as well so I have to go on a bit of defense and just get the ball back on the table however I can (what is the best stroke for this?). 

CURRENT EQUIPMENT: I'm playing on a decent table at my subdivision clubhouse.  But, next week my Killerspin True Blue (made by same manufacturer as DHS) should arrive and that will be my main table set up in my basement.   My racquet is a pre-made Stiga Tempest that I bought for around $15 new.  It is considered a slower racquet I believe.  (Surface: Inverted, Sponge: 2.0mm, Blade: 5-ply) It has the smooth surface on both sides (rather than the little pieces sticking out everywhere, is this "inverted"?).  I want another racquet that has the smooth surface.

THE QUESTION:  What racquet will be a nice upgrade from my current one that will be faster (but not so fast that it will make me worse)?  I still want it to have nice control but I feel like my loops are good enough that it's time to speed them up. 

I have no experience making my own and do not wish too at this time.  Should I just get one of the more expensive premade Stiga's?  Do online sites build them for you?  I'm looking to spend about $30 on this of $40 tops (lower is of course better). What racquets do you all suggest for me?  Where can I get them? 

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links

Thaidog View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thaidog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2006 at 10:12pm
I would go with butterfly's Grubba:
http://www.butterflyonline.com/online_store_productcloseup.asp?page=shakehand_blade1.asp&type=1&ID=2&pg=1&SortBy=&displayNum=5

And Sriver 1.7mm on both sides.
http://www.butterflyonline.com/online_store_productcloseup.asp?page=rubber_all.asp&type=3&ID=36&pg=1&SortBy=&displayNum=5&frompg=all_around

Inverted is a smooth surface while pips-out is a bumpy surface.

The combo above will be slightly faster and spinnier than what you have but is actually a moderate all around combo. It shouldn't take but a few days to get used to.

Timo ALC FL

Tibhar Grip S MAx

Tenergy 64 FX National 2.1mm

He never boosts... of course he never had to...
pingpongkf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2006 at 10:19pm
$40 tops ??!! hhhmmmm.... that's gonna be hard.

are you in US ?? Try www.zeropong.com
www.speedpong.net
TT EQUIPMENTS: Nittaku, Butterfly, Stiga, Yasaka, Galaxy YinHe, DHS, Friendship, Globe.
-Legacy- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -Legacy- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2006 at 10:30pm

[QUOTE=pingpongkf]$40 tops ??!! hhhmmmm.... that's gonna be hard.

are you in US ?? Try www.zeropong.com[/QUOTE]

Well, if it takes a little more money I will deal with it.  I really don't want to go much over around $50 though. 

Also, should I get the same rubber type on both sides?

pingpongkf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2006 at 10:52pm
-Legacy-

My suggestion to you is not to waste too much of your time here waiting for people's opinions, because you will end up having 50 different recommendations. Though it may help .....

Just contact Zeropong and ask TOM to make you something. Can't go wrong with him.

Or if you're willing to spend a bit more money on higher end equipment, go to SpeedPong.
www.speedpong.net
TT EQUIPMENTS: Nittaku, Butterfly, Stiga, Yasaka, Galaxy YinHe, DHS, Friendship, Globe.
SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2006 at 11:00pm

The budget constraints are gonna be hard.  Zeropong's 729 Friendship blades will get you within your guidelines. 

Or another alternative is buying a used blade.

I personally wouldn't get a premade.  Unless you go really cheap to get started.  But you are beyond that point.

As far as same rubber on both side.  You don't have to but since you don't really know what you want then you should until you know more about the different rubber sheets.

By the wqay, what country or state are you from?

Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
-Legacy- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -Legacy- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2006 at 11:07pm

I'm in St. Louis, Missouri (USA).

Do I have to assemble those non-premades?

SDRamones View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SDRamones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2006 at 11:10pm

Some companies will assemble for you.

Sean Ramones - USA 91709
Ebay Feedback
For Sale
kei123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kei123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2006 at 11:45pm
find cole. He has combos about $40. He can give u some advise and do the assemble for u too.
anime_file View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anime_file Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2006 at 1:05am
Definately find cole at www.colestt.com   hes really cool and nice and will help you find what you need.
leeyong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leeyong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2006 at 2:55pm
The only pre-assembled bat that looks good is from presport.com, butterfly primorac attack with two sheets of flextra at 20usd plus 10 shipping.

over 60 dollars will get you something better though.
I like joyner H (33usd) for top-spin game two sheet of 729 cream (japan sponge) plus shipping is like 65usd.

otherwise, for 55 usd at pingpongonline there is the Donic master dicon (or waldner dicon in europe)on sale for 26usd, but I can not recommend any rubber from 729 because there is no price on them (likely to be 10 dollars each) and I have no clue what this donic blade matches well with.

You can ask around the forum as I am sure someone used them before
BTY SC ST
BH: Bryce FX 2.1 FH: Sriver L 2.1

Stiga CL cpen
FH: Globe 999T on saviga 2.2 BH: Yasaka Mark V soft

Others: KTS, Darker speed 90, 30 (10mm) Jpen, Nittaku Septear ST, DHS 032 CS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic