FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Please help me with serves!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help me with serves!
    Posted: 03/02/2007 at 11:15pm
I don't really know where to start or what to ask... I have two serves a backspin and a sidespin, where I whip the racket towards me. 

I need help because I'm having trouble developing more serves.  I mean, you can understand that I would want more than just these two, right?

I also want to learn how to, sort of, fake serve, I guess you would say.  Make it look like your doing one thing but change it when you strike the ball. 
Sponsored Links

pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2007 at 2:43am
What kind of serves are you doing? Are these forehand or backhand? Pendulum?

Definitely learn forehand serves; you can do any type of serve from the forehand, but the backhand is capable of only a few. Forehand serves are harder to learn generally; but keep at it. Learn the pendulum first.

-   pimpmyracket   -

729 Dynasty Hinoki Carbon, FL
Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
master-pong View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote master-pong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2007 at 3:32am
You could download the Schlager trainingsvideo, he shows a lot of useful serves.
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2007 at 3:56pm
a mirror is a great aid in learning strokes and serves.
Once you have a few serves you would like to copy use a mirror to confirm you are getting the racket angle,contact point right.
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2007 at 3:57pm
Video camera is good too. Especially since you can post it on YouTube and get direct feedback.

-   pimpmyracket   -

Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2007 at 4:05pm
If you want to develop "good" serves, and by that I mean powerful serves that can set you up to win the point, I would start by just focusing on backhand serves.

Work on consciously creating HUGE variations in the amount of spin (from no spin to HEAVY underspin) using mechanics that look relatively similar.

From basement level to US 1500 - these two serves (backhand nospin and backhand heavy underspin) used alternating will produce plenty of opponent errors on return giving you popups to smash :) and opponent shots into the net.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2007 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

If you want to develop "good" serves, and by that I mean powerful serves that can set you up to win the point, I would start by just focusing on backhand serves.

Work on consciously creating HUGE variations in the amount of spin (from no spin to HEAVY underspin) using mechanics that look relatively similar.

From basement level to US 1500 - these two serves (backhand nospin and backhand heavy underspin) used alternating will produce plenty of opponent errors on return giving you popups to smash :) and opponent shots into the net.

How do you do a backhand no-spin that looks like a heavy underspin? It seems much harder to hide the spin with backhand serves than with the forehand.

Do any pros use backhand no-spin serves? I don't recall seeing any, unless they really hide it that well.

-   pimpmyracket   -

Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
seanknight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanknight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2007 at 4:57pm
samsonov uses a backhand no-spin serve occasionally, but most high level players and pros don't use backhand serves at all. 
minicd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minicd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2007 at 5:38pm
PRACTICE....OBSERVE THEN PRACTICE MORE AND MORE AND MORE
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2007 at 6:06pm
Backhand is very easy to create variation. You can do pure backspin by going forward on the bottom of the ball. Then the variation is do the same thing but contact the ball on the top of the racket face for no spin. Then you can do side top by moving the paddle to the right and then up on the ball.

If you've seen samsonov's video, I don't understand the ones where he fakes somestuff. He does it by hitting it on the left side of the racket.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2007 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by seanknight seanknight wrote:

samsonov uses a backhand no-spin serve occasionally, but most high level players and pros don't use backhand serves at all. 

I think most shakehand players still use backhand serves, but they rarely pull it out. Mostly late in the match.

-   pimpmyracket   -

Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
Pip Master View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pip Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2007 at 11:31pm
the only players i can think of that use it are :kong linghui, ma long, saive, waldner occassionally, persson, samsonov, smirnov and kreanga.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2007 at 11:37pm
Don't forget Primorac; he probably uses backhand serves the most.

-   pimpmyracket   -

Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
Pip Master View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pip Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2007 at 1:32am
oh ya of course.  lol he should have been at the top of my list.
drnknboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drnknboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2007 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by master-pong master-pong wrote:

You could download the Schlager trainingsvideo, he shows a lot of useful serves.

Great site! Thanks.   
Wish they had included English subtitles.
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2007 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by pimpmyracket pimpmyracket wrote:

What kind of serves are you doing? Are these forehand or backhand? Pendulum?

Definitely learn forehand serves; you can do any type of serve from the forehand, but the backhand is capable of only a few. Forehand serves are harder to learn generally; but keep at it. Learn the pendulum first.

I'm doing all forehand.  Will you please explain the pendulum?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2007 at 11:55pm
The pendulum serve is basically the swinging motion of a clock pendulum. There's a page on this at http://tabletennis.about.com/od/howtoserve/ss/fhpend_bs_ss.htm that also has a video halfway down the page. But in the video it's more of a sideways pendulum because it doesn't really swing downward much at all.

But it's good because using one pendulum swing you can create side-underspin by making contact at a certain point on the pendulum, and make side-topspin by making contact at a different point, all on the exact same swing. So it's used a lot for this deception.

It's easier for penholders to do the deception because they can generally swing a much smaller pendulum by just using the wrist, so changing the contact point is done within a smaller area, making it harder to see clearly. Shakehands can do this too, but it's just slightly easier for penholders.

-   pimpmyracket   -

Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2007 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by pimpmyracket pimpmyracket wrote:

The pendulum serve is basically the swinging motion of a clock pendulum. There's a page on this at http://tabletennis.about.com/od/howtoserve/ss/fhpend_bs_ss.htm that also has a video halfway down the page. But in the video it's more of a sideways pendulum because it doesn't really swing downward much at all.

But it's good because using one pendulum swing you can create side-underspin by making contact at a certain point on the pendulum, and make side-topspin by making contact at a different point, all on the exact same swing. So it's used a lot for this deception.

It's easier for penholders to do the deception because they can generally swing a much smaller pendulum by just using the wrist, so changing the contact point is done within a smaller area, making it harder to see clearly. Shakehands can do this too, but it's just slightly easier for penholders.

Yes.  What you're describing is what I do exactly.  So the motion of the pendelum should be more like a swing from side to side (racket at a 90 angle to the table), instead of more parallel to the table, is that right?

Except for I don't see how you can generate a topspin serve with this motion.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2007 at 3:05pm
At the end of the pendulum contact the ball up.

or another way to generate topspin it by hitting the bottom of the racket forward and up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2007 at 5:29pm
In Greg Letts' video he does it purely horizontal, pretty much. Mine is more diagonally downwards, or sometimes purely vertical downwards. The topspin is created after the racket swings past the bottom of the swing and starts coming upward. Making contact at that point creates side-topspin.

-   pimpmyracket   -

Cream MRS
- 2.2mm
Stiga Innova - 2.0mm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic