Print Page | Close Window

Galaxy Venus 1 Review- V2?

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24964
Printed Date: 03/29/2024 at 3:35am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Galaxy Venus 1 Review- V2?
Posted By: Rich215
Subject: Galaxy Venus 1 Review- V2?
Date Posted: 03/19/2009 at 11:22am
Thumbs%20Up Galaxy/YinHe Venus 1 (V1) FL Thumbs%20Up

Here is is out of the box with shrink wrap still on.

And here is is setup with LKT Rapid Sound 2.2mm on both sides, and Bty grip.
Total weight is 167 grams.  Blade was 87 grams after sealing.

As you can see with my 1 layer Minwax Lacquer sealing....it makes the wood grain a little darker and much more vivid. 

Here are my thoughts and opinions off the top of my brain, after little time using this blade: (1 hour practice then the following night 3 hours at local club).

As I had purchased both the new V1 and V2 blades, I decided to only setup one of them.  Since I read so many things about the V1 being a good looping blade on some Chinese forums....I went with it over the V2.  WOW....am I happy I did!   This blade is rated as an OFF+.  I was somewhat apprehensive about using such a fast blade, coming from using mainly ALL to OFF- blades.  But just as adapting from a ALL to an OFF- blade, I found the V1 to be very controllable for me.  I think that may be also influenced by the fact that I have been using the Rapid Sound rubbers on my Yasaka Extra and Gambler AC for the past several weeks. So maybe this helped me as I have moved up to this much faster blade, as the Sound rubber is med-soft and not too fast in general. 

My thoughts with the Sound rubber after using it on my other blades, especially on the YE....was that is had a higher through compared to other Chinese rubbers I have used. It was hard for me to adjust to the Sound on my YE.  But now with the Galaxy V1, it is no problem at all.  I feel the V1 may be throwing the ball a lot lower than the YE or Gambler blades.  This fact helped me adapt well. 

The V1 has a very crisp "pop" to it when hitting.  I think the Hinoki top ply also gives a great softer feel with the carbon layer underneath. This is my first experience with Hinoki. It loops rather well.....or I should say it loops extremely well!  The looping acting is more of a lower arc, but so fast and powerful with the higher rebound of the Sound rubber.  I will try a few other rubbers in the future after I spend a month or so with it setup like it is now.

Like I said, I was apprehensive about using such a fast labeled blade.  Now after using the V1, I have no problems at all.  My touch shots and pushes were actually better than the YE or Gambler blades.  Blocking was only slightly different at first. Blocks were so much faster, so I had to get used to the blade angle being slightly different than my past setups.  But after a couple hours of use, I can block even better now as the throw angle seems much lower and balls rocket to the opposite side of the table.  This really threw off a few of my opponents, as they were not used to such speed on various shots from me.

The only shots that I have to get used to more now, are the chops and backspin variations I do.  I really have to flatten out my blade compared to my past setups.  I figured out a few during my club night, and the results were amazing with the amount of power and spin I can now produce.  And the same power and spin holds true to my looping on both wings.  I have to reduce the wrist motions a bit more than what I was used to, but my loops are so powerful now.  I had to slow down my arm motion on the brush loops because of the speed factor of the blade, but the results were incredible.  My opponents often left the ball long over the end of the table on most of my loops and some of my simple top spin serves. 

I cant wait to have others try this blade and compare it with other OFF type blades.  For me, I now have no fear of a OFF+  blade with the Galaxy V1!  I can control it well and it has helped me settle down some, while understanding my ability will less effort than I though possible.

This blade gets a full 10/10 rating with me.  I could not be happier to buy a blade that is much more than the $30-$50 blades I thought were expensive enough. Yes the new Venus blades from Galaxy/Yinhe are more expensive than anything they have put out yet, but performance is definably worth it to me. I'm just glade I didn't have to spend $150$200 on a Butterfly blade to see what a top end blade feels like.  

Here is the link to see more pics of the raw blade and info from YinHe. 
http://yinhe1986.cn/english/news/27/200929150226.htm - Galaxy Venus 1

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: snapa
Date Posted: 03/19/2009 at 1:02pm
Did you get to play with it at the club yesterday?  Did you improve against the people you usually play?

-------------
Donic Waldner Diablo Senso _Blitz_Reflectoid
Donic Appelgren Allplay Senso V2_Shadow 2.0_Wraith 2.0
Allround Classic, E4, Donic Cayman

Date Posted: 03/19/2009 at 1:17pm

snappa thanks....I forgot to add that info in the review about my time using the blade so far. My first attempt at the review timed out because I got a phone call and couldn't add more pics.  So I had to restart the review and forgot to write about that part.

This blade has made me more excited than any other I have owned or tried.  When I got other blades and used them for the first time, my thoughts were normally, "this is nice....this is ok....this is not good".  This is the first blade where I thought......OH YEA BABY!!!  It feels like an expensive blade to me.  The feel and performance are heads and tails above anything else I have used. 

I got to play several people at the club practice last night.  From lower level to high level players in comparison to my ability. Though I was experimenting with some of my play, on general my ability was much better.  I was mostly astounded by some of my simple brush loops and topspin serves.  I was actually getting more points off them when I held back a little or even let the ball get a little higher than normal. My strokes were yielding much more power and spin than before. Now I can concentrate on body and foot work much more and not worry about my racket setup.  Bye bye EJ'ing blades! 

-------------

Posted By: JimT
Date Posted: 03/19/2009 at 3:18pm
Too bad you are too far away from New England - I would love to see and try the blade for a few minutes.

You are in Midwest somwheres, right?

-------------
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...

Posted By: BeaverMD
Date Posted: 03/19/2009 at 4:51pm
Thanks for the review.  Just curious, what's that squiggly line at the side of the handle? Is that part of the design or did you accidentally release your racket after a follow through? Smile

I just checked on Eacheng and it's 130 USD?! I hope they still keep selling cheaper blades.

Date Posted: 03/19/2009 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Thanks for the review.  Just curious, what's that squiggly line at the side of the handle? Is that part of the design or did you accidentally release your racket after a follow through? Smile

You probably missed his line about how V-1 was still in the plastic wrap when he took pictures. That's the seamline of the plastic wrap.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/19/2009 at 5:15pm

Too bad.  It looked kinda cool.  Sorta like a nuclear fallout concept.

Posted By: tdragon
Date Posted: 03/19/2009 at 5:18pm
It is great review. Did you have a chance to try V-2 as well?

Date Posted: 03/19/2009 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

I just checked on Eacheng and it's 130 USD?! I hope they still keep selling cheaper blades.

It is indeed freakishly expensive! For Yin-He this is like $300 in Butterfly money! This racket better play like Amultart and Darker Speed 90 put together!

-------------

Date Posted: 03/19/2009 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

It is indeed freakishly expensive! For Yin-He this is like $300 in Butterfly money! This racket better play like Amultart and Darker Speed 90 put together!

Yeah, when I saw the price, I had to double check to see if it was Yin-He.  Even a Schlager Carbon costs less now.

Date Posted: 03/19/2009 at 7:30pm

Too bad you are too far away from New England - I would love to see and try the blade for a few minutes.
You are in Midwest somwheres, right?

Go Redwings!

Originally posted by tdragon tdragon wrote:

It is great review. Did you have a chance to try V-2 as well?

I do not want to try any other blade.....no need now!  The V2 is up for sale in the FS section. 

So your saying Yinhe's $20-$30 blades play like Butterfly's $60-$90 blades?

Ive wasted $$$ (or EJ'd) on a dozen blades in the past 8 months.....Id should of just got this one and saved several hundred! 

Yinhe has given out, for testing (in Asia) what seemed like hundreds of the new blades in their 2009 lineup.  Venus 1&2, Earth 1&3, and Jupiter (not sure what the Earth and Jupiter blades sel for).  The reviews of the V1 were outstanding and many were comparing it to some blades of much higher retail values.  After researching some Chinese forums and reading this.....I pulled the trigger and now I'm more than satisfied. 

I see a lot of people selling the expensive Butterflys and others brands after using them in for sale sections.....and I wonder if the retails on those blades are worth the expense of paying for the extra advertising padding of the product, if the customers were not satisfied with them.  But obviously everyone is different when it comes to what they like to play with.

I guess its just a matter of time for the new Yinhe blades to get fully critiqued. 

-------------

Posted By: haggisv
Date Posted: 03/19/2009 at 8:16pm
Very nice review Rich215!

-------------
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
http://tabletennisshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=page&id=42" rel="nofollow - Tenergy Alternatives | http://tabletennis-reviews.com" rel="nofollow - My TT Articles

Date Posted: 03/19/2009 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

So your saying Yinhe's $20-$30 blades play like Butterfly's $60-$90 blades?

Yes, that's exactly what I am saying. Usually the price ratio Butterfly over Galaxy is about 2 or 3. Like you can get T-4 for 33 dollars instead of paying 100 dollars for Primorac carbon, etc. Examples are aplenty...

-------------

Posted By: xavier7
Date Posted: 03/19/2009 at 9:49pm
Hi rich215,
I am real glad to read your review about this great blade.

Earlier I was trying to get attention of some upon this blade in another forum, but skeptical remark emerged immediately even though no one had tried the blade yet. So I did not post a review which I actually had written, after a few sessions with this blade.

Now I know at least there are people who share same opinion with me about the blade.

Date Posted: 03/20/2009 at 2:09pm
Good to hear from you xavier7 ! 

What rubbers are you using on your V1 ?  And I would also like to read your review of this blade. 

-------------

Posted By: xavier7
Date Posted: 03/21/2009 at 4:05am
I am not using the V1, but was given a chance to try it. I found it to be a great blade. Well, what you have in your review covered more than I discovered about this good blade. And I actually am not a good review writer. This is one of the reasons I said I am glad about your review, because all that I want to report is in yours. Do wite more about TT Rich215.
I can learn a lot from your report.

Date Posted: 04/26/2009 at 7:44pm
Can't believe that no one else is talking about this blade here.   I have been so happy with it.  It has feel and gears like no other blade I have tried.....(20 or so).  For such a fast blade, it has a great softer feel, nice click, and good sized sweet spot.

I wonder if there will be any chatter about the E series as well...with the advent of  E2,E4, and E5 adding to the Yinhe/Galaxy lineup. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08/03/2009 at 9:32am
Bringing this thread back to the forefront because I noticed Cole said he just got a V2 blade.  I have still not sold or used my V2 yet.  I would like to know if anyone else is using or has tried either of these 2 blades.  I know if they were Butterfly blades they would of sold several thousands and info would be everywhere on them.  I understand people being nervous to spend so much on a Galaxy blade, but they are worth it In my opinion. 

Quality is very good.  I really like playing with the V1 quite a lot.  Although I am trying to hold back on gluing up the V2....my curiosity is almost ready to burst! 

Cole, let us know what you think about the V2 after you hit with it.

-------------

Posted By: cole_ely
Date Posted: 08/03/2009 at 11:22am
Well, I can tell you that it's got perfect hinoki outer plies....like they used the wood you would see in a 200 dollar jpen. 

To me it just felt like primo carbon or something.  If someone wants mine its' been played with about 30min.  I'll take $100 for it.

-------------
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Posted By: ppgear
Date Posted: 08/03/2009 at 11:35am
Hey Rich, if you could post your review on the Table Tennis Database that would be very helpful. I've added these two blades:

http://www.tabletennisdb.com/table-tennis-blade.php?id=galaxy-venus-1 - Galaxy Venus 1 Reviews
http://www.tabletennisdb.com/table-tennis-blade.php?id=galaxy-venus-2 - Galaxy Venus 2 Reviews

-------------
Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net