Print Page | Close Window

Tenergy 05 durability

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39764
Printed Date: 05/03/2024 at 7:15pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tenergy 05 durability
Posted By: spinnmaster
Subject: Tenergy 05 durability
Date Posted: 02/02/2011 at 6:12am
What have happened to tenerrgy 05 durability. My last 2 rubbers have lasted 3 weeksAngry!! Have someone else noticed this?

Replies:
Posted By: smiths9312
Date Posted: 02/02/2011 at 2:12pm
Are you using water based glue?  Did you hit the table with it? 

Date Posted: 02/02/2011 at 2:44pm
Yes i am using water based glue and i have not hit the table with it. I have been playing with Tenergy since it came out and recently i have noticed that the durability is not the same. I have also heard from others complaining about the durability.

Posted By: razortt
Date Posted: 02/02/2011 at 2:49pm

I trained 4 times a week, after 3months it still very playable.

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35627&title=feebacks-for-razortt-fastpaddlecom" rel="nofollow - Feedback

fastpaddle.com

Posted By: debraj
Date Posted: 02/02/2011 at 5:12pm
there is a rumor going on ... that butterfly made commerical tenergy sponge tad softer. could it be that? 

may be the durability of the rubber was affecting their bottomline? so they changed the composition.

-------------
729-F1||Rhyzm-P(FH)|| Rasant Grip orRhyzm-P max(BH)
http://youtu.be/y9y9nE9g778" rel="nofollow - vid1
http://youtu.be/xqNy786yGOs" rel="nofollow - Vid 2

Posted By: fructu
Date Posted: 02/02/2011 at 6:25pm
spinnmaster + 1/0

Yes, this has exactly happened to me recently though, moreover, I tune Tenergy 05 with paraffine oil.

Posted By: pnachtwey
Date Posted: 02/02/2011 at 6:48pm
I have had problems with T05 shrinking.  Recently the T05 was coming off my TBS.   I peeled the T05 off with no problems but when I tried to reglue it is was smaller.   I have two sheets of T05 now that really don't fit on my TBS anymore.   They barely fit on my Samsonov Alpha which has a smaller head than the TBS.

-------------
I TT therefore I am

Posted By: jctlee
Date Posted: 02/02/2011 at 7:59pm
the new T64 sponge with thickness engraved with laser is definitely softer compared with the old ones with thickness printed in ink.

Date Posted: 02/03/2011 at 12:16am

I have also noticed that T05 is shrinking faster than the old ones. the bounciness off the rubber seems to `die` faster.

Posted By: snake_eyes
Date Posted: 02/03/2011 at 2:32am
Spinmaster, how often do you play and for how long? When I used Tenergy05 when it first came out, I remember using it 6 out of 7 days a week for about 2-3 hours a day, and it initially did not last more than 3-4 months. Also I used only water to clean the rubber surface, what substance(s) are you using to clean the rubber with and are you using anything to keep the rubber surface clean (rubber protector sheets, etc)?

Hi Fructu, don't be offended, but I just wanna ask you a question because I don't know the answer. Why would you or anyone need to tune the Tenergy05, is it for better control or to get the feeling of "speed glue" without the actual "speed glueing?" Could this possibly be why the tenergy05 doesn't last that long for you, I don't think it's meant to be tuned in the first place.

-------------
"If there is no perfect moral law-giver, there is no moral law. If there is no moral law, there is no good. If there is no good, there is no evil." -Dr. Ravi Zacharias

Maze ALC Galaxy Moon 2.0 FH/BH

Date Posted: 02/03/2011 at 5:33am
i clean my rubber with water, and i use plastic cover sheet to protect my rubber. I play 2h 3-4 times a week.

Posted By: smiths9312
Date Posted: 02/04/2011 at 10:42pm

Tenergy can be an odd rubber.  I've brushed the side of the table with a newish rubber and lost a whole hunk of it.  I've done far worse to an old sheet with no problems.  If you take it off your blade, it will shrink.  I haven't had it shrink when it was glued to a blade and never removed. 

Over time you are left with a very nice rubber, but the Tenergy magic is gone.  I haven't kept a record, but I'd say 3 weeks of magic, 2 months of greatness, until you are down to the nice rubber stage.  I keep mine for around 6 months as I can't afford to replace it every 3 weeks. I've got a new sheet calling my name from the hall closet for the last few weeks, but so far, I've resisted it's siren song.   

Posted By: Davey
Date Posted: 02/05/2011 at 5:24am
That is very strange to me-3 weeks-
people sell Tenergy 05 second hand under the For Sale section
I bought a second hand sheet for the FH and have it 3 months and it is still fine!!!!!!!!!!
if you play at a high standard for more than twenty hours a week it should still be ok.
Look at Persson on youtube he says that until the spped glue days it would take a month
for his rubbers to be where he wanted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you sure they are worn-or do you expect only brand new all the time

-------------
David

Posted By: chris.b40
Date Posted: 02/05/2011 at 7:07am
Originally posted by smiths9312 smiths9312 wrote:

Tenergy can be an odd rubber.  I've brushed the side of the table with a newish rubber and lost a whole hunk of it.  I've done far worse to an old sheet with no problems.  If you take it off your blade, it will shrink.  I haven't had it shrink when it was glued to a blade and never removed. 

Over time you are left with a very nice rubber, but the Tenergy magic is gone.  I haven't kept a record, but I'd say 3 weeks of magic, 2 months of greatness, until you are down to the nice rubber stage.  I keep mine for around 6 months as I can't afford to replace it every 3 weeks. I've got a new sheet calling my name from the hall closet for the last few weeks, but so far, I've resisted it's siren song.   

Well said,nice lyrics Heart

Date Posted: 02/05/2011 at 11:55am
Yes i`sure it is worn out. Maybe i got bad rubbers a couple of times. I`m semi professional player and i`m looking/ searching  for another rubber for my FH. But T05 is the best rubber out there. I can get free rubbers from other brands but i have to pay for butterfly stuff, not the whole amount for the rubber. 

Posted By: harveyt
Date Posted: 02/05/2011 at 3:55pm
If you're in the I Hate Butterfly club, see these shirts I found:
http://cafepress.com/butterfly_evil - http://cafepress.com/butterfly_evil

Posted By: slevin
Date Posted: 01/20/2014 at 10:21am
Along with lowering price, have they made deliberately made the product less durable?

My 87g FL ZJK-ALC along with 2 brand new T05 max sheets, each glued with 2 layers on sponge & 2 on blade (so 8 thin layers in total) weighs 181g. Can T05 this light last long?

-------------
Trade feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787

Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 01/20/2014 at 10:39am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Along with lowering price, have they made deliberately made the product less durable?

My 87g FL ZJK-ALC along with 2 brand new T05 max sheets, each glued with 2 layers on sponge & 2 on blade (so 8 thin layers in total) weighs 181g. Can T05 this light last long?
wow this is revealing data right there. With tearmender/copydex, 2x2 layers of wbg means 8 to 10 grams; (181 - 87 - 10)/2 = 42g per sheet; that is a new breed of tenergy for sure.
Did they decide after all they did not want to make it that good? Is it planned obsolescence in the making? Shall i join the club again? Those @#%$€£¥!!!!!!

-------------
/forum/topic91512_page1.html#1124698" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 01/20/2014 at 11:02am
I haven't noticed anything to different in last year or so but Smith pretty much states my experience with durability.  I think it is definitely different from what we had in 2009.

Posted By: frogger
Date Posted: 01/20/2014 at 1:50pm
I find Tenergy has a long life. I played a tournament yesterday and my opponent (1936 USATT) was using some old looking T64. It was still quite fast with vicious spin. For me it is very good for 7 months and still very good after a year. I see no change in quality since it's introduction.

Keep it clean, avoid some cleaners, use cover film and it will last.

Pros it's a different story, they know small changes faster than most of us. :)

-------------
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 01/20/2014 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

I find Tenergy has a long life. I played a tournament yesterday and my opponent (1936 USATT) was using some old looking T64. It was still quite fast with vicious spin. For me it is very good for 7 months and still very good after a year. I see no change in quality since it's introduction.

Keep it clean, avoid some cleaners, use cover film and it will last.

Pros it's a different story, they know small changes faster than most of us. :)

I used to play with T05 daily for 3-5 hours. T05 performance would slow down a bit after a week, noticeably after two weeks, and after a month, it was barely an average rubber with a LOT of edge/sponge deterioration. Aurus by comparison would stand up to 2-3 months of such abuse before it would drop off only a little.

It wasn't an issue about keeping the topsheet clean, it would have some grip, but that rubber would go downhill in a hurry and break apart like a failed, junked satellite re-entering the atmosphere.

The only ones who could make a sheet of Tenergy last 6 months plus and keep anything close to decent performance were those who showed up to the club, did a 20 min lesson twice a week, played one or two matches, then GTFO the TT club. Anyone who was Div 1 or Div 2 who played daily for hours would be hopping mad at how T05 played after a month and couldn't stand it any more.

I can hit a BH with a 1 yr old rubber like XP 2008 or H3 and it will move out with pace and spin, I have a good BH and the rubber there on that wing can be a bit old, I hit through the ball on BH wing unless I am super slow looping. I could put a one year old T64 on BH myself and make a spinny loop that would make you think it was new, but I know what my loop would be if it was a new rubber, especially on FH wing.

Frogger's tip about protecting the topsheet helps, but what you really have to do with Tenergy is us extra wide edge tape, like 12 mm to make sure you are covering the side of the sponge entirely and adhering to it, along with over cutting the rubber to overlap a mm or two. Covering the sponge gives you another week or so of good performance and slows down the drop-off noticeably, but doesn't stop it.

if you hit hard daily for 3-5 hrs at a time, any rubber will downhill after some time, but T05 does it twice as fast as other modern rubbers I use like Aurus and Evo series.

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Posted By: roundrobin
Date Posted: 01/20/2014 at 3:51pm
At our club, some players would replace their T05 after two months, then sell it to other players for $15, who would then use it for another six months... Its durability also depends greatly on a player's style.  If you do strong brush looping a lot against underspin, then it won't last more than two months without losing performance for sure.  If you are a blocker/hitter then it should last at least six months no problem...

-------------
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Posted By: assiduous
Date Posted: 01/20/2014 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

you know, reputation takes decades to build but its really easy to destroy. I don't think the quality of tenergy is any different, probably better if anything, but if it really is worse, i seriously doubt Butterfly will 'deliberately' do something to destroy its reputation.

-------------
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out

Posted By: slevin
Date Posted: 01/20/2014 at 5:14pm
Yes, but: Quite a few have mentioned that MX-P is quite similar to T05. This particular T05 is like T05FX compared to MX-P - MUCH softer.

I moved to T05 from 47.5 degree rubbers due to a wrist injury that required shaving some gms off the setup. However, I don't like the softness at all & the really low weight (as compared to old T05s that I've used that used to be 50g cut) is concerning.

I got my sheets from tt-japan BTW.

-------------
Trade feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787

Posted By: CraneStyle
Date Posted: 01/20/2014 at 5:27pm
There's the possibility of T05 drying out in storage or in a shop somewhere...

@ BH-Man - I'm also a believer of using wide edging tape, in an attempt to slow down the loss of the liquid tuners that is in the popular rubbers today...

-------------
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05

Date Posted: 01/20/2014 at 6:03pm
I agree with BH-Man about using wide edge-tape.  I use it because it reduces crumbling. I am personally not convinced that Tenergy has a lot of volatile tuner (or any) in the sponge.  It is certainly possible, though.   It is hard to know too much about what has happened to a rubber before it gets to you, especially if you live in US.  You would think that something from tt-japan would normally be newer, but who knows what happens during shipment? 

Also, I agree with Assiduous' last comment.  (No, nobody has hacked my account).  The only thing I wonder about is if they are doing something different since it first came out in an intentional effort to make it lighter, which in their minds is an improvement.

Posted By: mikepong
Date Posted: 01/20/2014 at 9:36pm
tenergy for me is durable, used mine for 6 months and still spins fine, of course it is not as spinny or fast as a brand new tenergy anymore, but i guess it depends on your level of game, im only a low level player so my opinion would not matter if you play a high level game, ive seen high level player chnge tenergy every 2-3 weeks, i once bought a used tenergy from a national player in our country which he used for only 3 weeks and for my game it still has plenty of spin and speed. just my opinion tho

-------------
Viscaria

FH: Tenergy 05 black

BH: Tenergy 05 red

Posted By: bschap
Date Posted: 01/15/2017 at 6:27pm
I just recently noticed 2 sheets of Ten 05 dying on me on two dif blades...both FH side.  I can't tell how long I was using it...wasn't really paying attention.  And I did notice on one blade it had been reglued from a diff blade (does this effect rubber life?).  First I thought something was wrong w TT ball...like it was dead.  Kinda annoying that rubber death could come so fast.  I will def pay more attention (useful life) w my new sheet.

Posted By: incarnation
Date Posted: 01/15/2017 at 9:15pm
that's why I stop using Tenergy, the quality gets worse and worse 

Posted By: rocketman222
Date Posted: 01/15/2017 at 11:08pm
Last one i got has been going on for 5 months now

-------------
http://www.bladesbycharlie.com/models/hinokighost" rel="nofollow - BBC Hinoki Ghost
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74126&title=feedback-rocketman222" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Posted By: notfound123
Date Posted: 01/15/2017 at 11:10pm
no issue here either. I get at least 3 months out of it, which would probably double if I played inverted both sides

Posted By: kurokami
Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 12:01am
tenergy topsheet wears out fast. that's why i reserve it for bh and choose something else for fh most of the time even though tenergy works great for me on both sides

-------------
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 12:24am
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

Last one i got has been going on for 5 months now

Note that you are the only player commenting with an honestly declared level and who has posted video of his strokes.

For the record, I know someone who used 5 year old sheets of Tenergy 05 (not really by choice, and he probably didn't use those sheets all those 5 years).  I used sheets for 1 year before being mocked to stop.  Not saying that the sheets always performed like new, but I could probably still play pretty close to usual level with them.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Posted By: Knuckle Ball
Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 1:25am
My black 05 on FH is still fine after 10 months playing 2 to 3 times a week

-------------
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red

Posted By: benfb
Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 1:38am
Originally posted by kurokami kurokami wrote:

tenergy topsheet wears out fast. that's why i reserve it for bh and choose something else for fh most of the time even though tenergy works great for me on both sides

We've actually had threads on this topic before, both for Tenergy and for other, similar products.  What always struck me is that people aren't very precise when describing "durability.

Saying a rubber lasted six months doesn't tell me much because maybe you only played once in that six months.  It would be better to estimate the number of hours of use.  This is actually what is done with a lot of engines (tractors, airplanes, etc.) for the same reason.  Age isn't much of an indicator; usage is.

The other imprecision in thinking is how do you actually measure when a rubber is no longer usable?  One guy may feel that a sheet feels dead to him at 100 hours of use while another player might feel comfortable with the same rubber going up to 200 hours.  The durability of the rubber doesn't change, just the expectations of the players involved.

I've kept pretty careful notes in the past for my sheets of Tenergy 05.  I would say the sponge wears out faster than the topsheet (but Tenergy top sheet will cut very easily if you hit the table edge!).  So if you're used to going by looking for worn topsheet (which is what I used to to with other rubbers), you can actually find yourself playing with rubbers that have dead sponges.

Also, a topsheet can get stiff (making the rubber less spiny and harder to control) if he gets exposed to too much heat or too much air (such as sitting around for a month in the open air).  So a rubber kept in a case or bag might feel better after a month or two compared to one that is often out of the case.

My personal guideline that I use for my own sheets of Tenergy goes like this:

0 - 15 hours: I don't really like a brand new sheet.  It feels hard to control.  I'm happier when it's broken in.
15 - 75 hours: This is when I feel T05 is at its best, with strong spin and speed.
75 - 125 hours: During this stage the sponge has lost some of its power but has increased in control.  I can't play as aggressively with rubber during this stage but I can handle almost anything thrown at me (kind of like downgrading from 2.1mm thickness to 1.9mm).
125 - 175 hours: Top sheet is less spiny and the sponge is much weaker.  I'm happy to use this kind of rubber at the club but would hate to use it in an important tournament match.
175 - 225 hours: T05 is only a pale shadow of its normal self and I have to work twice as hard.  I would only play with Tenergy this old because I don't want to spring the cost of new sheets of Tenergy.
225+ hours: Not a good choice for an attacking looper.

That's how I feel about it; I don't claim that this numbers apply to anyone else.

Also, I'm skeptical that they've changed the formula of the rubber.  There are so many easier ways to save money if that's you're goal.  And there are so many factors that go into judging rubbers that we'll never know the truth unless Butterfly publicly admits it.

I will say that a common reason for any rubber to shrink when it's re-glued is because it was pressed to hard the first time it was glued.  If you press hard in your first gluing, then you stretch the rubber.  Take it off and it shrinks back again, appearing to be now too small for the paddle.

Just my thoughts.

Posted By: jonyer1980
Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 2:14am
Youre wrong. If you also cut the brand new rubber without any pressure, youll also suffer shrink issues after a few months. That shrink effect varies from one rubber to another, Germany in Esn are the worst and chinese never shrink unless theyre factory tuned.

Thats why i always cut the rubber leaving a 2-3mm out of the blade edge in order to prevent that shrink effect once i peel it off for the first time.

-------------
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing

Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 2:23am
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

Youre wrong. If you also cut the brand new rubber without any pressure, youll also suffer shrink issues after a few months. That shrink effect varies from one rubber to another, Germany in Esn are the worst and chinese never shrink unless theyre factory tuned.

Thats why i always cut the rubber leaving a 2-3mm out of the blade edge in order to prevent that shrink effect once i peel it off for the first time.

I can only speak from my own experience, which is not a scientific study.  I haven't experienced the shrinkage problem since I stopped pressing the rubbers so hard when gluing.

Posted By: *_strataras_*
Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 2:35am
I don't know why incarnation has issues with his tenergy, but I only use tenergy from the release time of them till now, and they last 6 months to me. I play intense trainings, 3 and few times 4 times per week. Well ofc the last 1,5 months don't perform so well, but you can still do a great practise with them.

-------------
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(black 1,9mm FH)
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74157&title=feedback-strataras" rel="nofollow - Feedback

Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 7:43am
Tenergy never shrunk on me, probably same reason they don't for benfb. Durability was ok. Tenergy plas pretty well even when it looks worn.

Posted By: unstopabl3
Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

They. Never shrunk on me, proba ly same reason they don't for benfb. Durability was ok. They play pretty well even when they look worn.

So when you glue them, you don't apply any pressure via hand or a roller? I've had this stretching issue with MX-P and EL-P and I do use a roller to gently spread the rubber onto the blade. But whenever I take off the rubber the first time, it shrinks down Cry

Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 8:45am
I apply them nice and evenly with a pressure roller, and when they are applied, then I put pressure on them. I don't have any shrinking problems.

-------------
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74157&title=feedback-strataras" rel="nofollow - Feedback

Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 11:26am
Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

They. Never shrunk on me, proba ly same reason they don't for benfb. Durability was ok. They play pretty well even when they look worn.

So when you glue them, you don't apply any pressure via hand or a roller? I've had this stretching issue with MX-P and EL-P and I do use a roller to gently spread the rubber onto the blade. But whenever I take off the rubber the first time, it shrinks down Cry

Shrinking when you remove rubber happens every time with MX-P, but not with T05 in my experience with them. Only way to get Evo rubbers to fit again is to re-boost them. This is true even though I was very careful not to stretch the rubbers when gluing or attaching them.

Tenergy and Evo are very different in this regard.

Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 11:38am
The top sheet of T05 wears quickly if you just judge by appearance but it always seemed to me that it played pretty well anyway. Certainly my level stayed constant. If I kept a sheet for more than 6 months (6-10 hrs per week)and then got a new sheet I would definitely notice the difference and would often struggle for a week or so. Is the rubber breaking in or had I just gotten used to worn out rubber? I don't know, maybe both. A pro player would probably want to change pretty often.

Amazing that this thread started in 2008.

Posted By: mts388
Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 1:13pm
Would the type of stroke affect the wear on a rubble?  I was told that since I am a very spiny hitter my rubber will wear out before non spiny hitters.

Posted By: rocketman222
Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 1:28pm
From my observation, ESN loses their sponge first and then topsheet. 

Tenergy i believe decays at a very very slow constant rate, which is why its hard to notice overnight changes, i had a rasant grip die and i could tell that it did in a 3 days span, but no such surprises with tenergy. Also i m moving my forehand rubber to backhand, since a tenergy past its glory is still a decent backhand rubber, and i can put the new tenergy on my forehand.

-------------
http://www.bladesbycharlie.com/models/hinokighost" rel="nofollow - BBC Hinoki Ghost
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74126&title=feedback-rocketman222" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 1:38pm

Shrinking when you remove rubber happens every time with MX-P, but not with T05 in my experience with them. Only way to get Evo rubbers to fit again is to re-boost them. This is true even though I was very careful not to stretch the rubbers when gluing or attaching them.

Tenergy and Evo are very different in this regard.

Yeah you are right, I never had this issue with Rakza rubbers, they shrunked just a tiny bit but not as much as Evo rubbers.

Another thing I noticed about MX-P and EL-P is that after playing for about a month (mostly 3-4 days a week, roughly 2 hours each day), the rubber starts losing it's speed+spin and feel becomes a little dull for me. But this becomes better once I reglue the rubbers. Is it because of the stretching or is this normal and it means the rubbers are due for a reglue job?

Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Would the type of stroke affect the wear on a rubble?  I was told that since I am a very spiny hitter my rubber will wear out before non spiny hitters.

This is quite possible, we've got a couple of top-spin oriented players in our club and their FH rubbers wear out much faster than mine or other players. They are more FH oriented players so their FH rubbers wear out quicker than their BH rubbers with which they just punch or block. So if you have brush strokes, then I'd say it's a possibility to wear your rubbers out quicker than others.

Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 3:55pm
some people would be dubious w/o a video and authenticated rating.  But since this has been my experience I actually believe you.

Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

Tenergy i believe decays at a very very slow constant rate, which is why its hard to notice overnight changes

I agree, whereas I found that MX-P would decline pretty abruptly, even though the topsheet looked ok.  This is true at least for playing properties.  In terms of visible appearance of wear, the surface of T05 gets to lose its shine quickly, and actually, for me, that is when I liked it best.

In general, compared to other European/Japanese rubbers, Tenergy is reasonably durable.  I have no clue about Chinese rubbers.

Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 4:41pm

This is quite possible, we've got a couple of top-spin oriented players in our club and their FH rubbers wear out much faster than mine or other players. They are more FH oriented players so their FH rubbers wear out quicker than their BH rubbers with which they just punch or block. So if you have brush strokes, then I'd say it's a possibility to wear your rubbers out quicker than others.
I'd say that if you use more brush spin type strokes, then the top sheet will wear out quicker. If you do more loop drives (very fast shots), then you may wear out the sponge first.  It's much harder to tell when the sponge is wearing out because there are no visual clues (unlike the top sheet).  

By  the way, I use T05 on both sides and my FH rubber always wears out quicker, presumably because I hit the ball harder on that side (I loop both sides). To extend the life of my rubbers, I flip the paddle around during warm-up and drills.  This way I'm hitting with my BH rubber while warming up my FH stroke.

Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

I'd say that if you use more brush spin type strokes, then the top sheet will wear out quicker. If you do more loop drives (very fast shots), then you may wear out the sponge first.  It's much harder to tell when the sponge is wearing out because there are no visual clues (unlike the top sheet).  

By  the way, I use T05 on both sides and my FH rubber always wears out quicker, presumably because I hit the ball harder on that side (I loop both sides). To extend the life of my rubbers, I flip the paddle around during warm-up and drills.  This way I'm hitting with my BH rubber while warming up my FH stroke.

Similar observations as mine :)

Ben wouldn't switching like that have a negative impact on your game because the feel changes a bit when using a newer sheet vs using a used one. It's all about the feel after all that's why we always practice with the same equipment we use to play in tournaments. Although that's a smart way to prolong their life :P

Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 4:57pm
<<I'd say that if you use more brush spin type strokes, then the top sheet will wear out quicker. If you do more loop drives (very fast shots), then you may wear out the sponge first.  It's much harder to tell when the sponge is wearing out because there are no visual clues (unlike the top sheet).  >>

Well this may explain my experience.  Not too much scaling or visible wear on topsheet, but limp/dead lack of action.

Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 5:04pm

Ben wouldn't switching like that have a negative impact on your game because the feel changes a bit when using a newer sheet vs using a used one. It's all about the feel after all that's why we always practice with the same equipment we use to play in tournaments. Although that's a smart way to prolong their life :P
You are correct.  There are different things I can do to extend the life of Tenergy, such as flipping the paddle, applying oil to the top sheet, or boosting the sponge (only on old sheets).  In all cases, you risk that your rubber's playing characteristics will change.  Actually, that's true just for playing with old rubber.  Old T05 plays differently than new T05, so if I play with my sheets for, say, 175 hours, then when I put on new sheets they'll behave a lot different (more spin and speed).  The best approach is just to change rubbers every 100 hours (for me, every seven weeks).  However, Tenergy is expensive. Dead

Posted By: berndt_mann
Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 5:32pm
(benfb) However, Tenergy is expensive. Dead

Durn tootin', benfb.  Better to go with RITC Dr. Evil, which Megaspin sells for a mere $9.95 a sheet.  That stuff will probably outlast you.

OTOH, Megaspin sells various versions of Tenergy for seventy-four something bucks a sheet.  Yeah, you'll get a lot more spin and a tad and a half more speed for your 100 hours (seven weeks), but is the extra bang for your hard earned bucks really worth itBig smile?

-------------
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber

Date Posted: 01/16/2017 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

(benfb) However, Tenergy is expensive. Dead

Durn tootin', benfb.  Better to go with RITC Dr. Evil, which Megaspin sells for a mere $9.95 a sheet.  That stuff will probably outlast you.

OTOH, Megaspin sells various versions of Tenergy for seventy-four something bucks a sheet.  Yeah, you'll get a lot more spin and a tad and a half more speed for your 100 hours (seven weeks), but is the extra bang for your hard earned bucks really worth itBig smile?

You will be thrilled to know that for my latest order from Paddle Palace, I bought two sheets of Tenergy 05, some water-based glue, and two sheets of Butterfly Orthodox.  I have a very nice looking all-wood paddle that was All+ in speed from about 15 years ago, and I was thinking of putting the OX on that.  Then I can learn how to be just as mediocre at hardbat as I am at sponge play.

Posted By: Purett
Date Posted: 01/17/2017 at 12:56am
almost all rubbers last 40-50 hrs of playing
that always depends on the level of play

-------------
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001

Date Posted: 01/17/2017 at 1:03am

The top sheet of T05 wears quickly if you just judge by appearance but it always seemed to me that it played pretty well anyway. Certainly my level stayed constant. If I kept a sheet for more than 6 months (6-10 hrs per week)and then got a new sheet I would definitely notice the difference and would often struggle for a week or so. Is the rubber breaking in or had I just gotten used to worn out rubber? I don't know, maybe both. A pro player would probably want to change pretty often.

Amazing that this thread started in 2008.

What Baal said, he is right. I change my tenergies every 6 motnhs, and as I mentioned the last1-1,5 months you can see clearly the need to change the rubber. So when I glue my new sheets, it always takes me 1 week to fully get used to them.

-------------
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Date Posted: 01/17/2017 at 1:07am

I believe the opposite, nopt only believe but also playing 13-14 years table tennis I have seen it in me and  in other players. The flat hitters use more strength in their strokes so the rubber hurts more and the top sheet gets destroyed more easily. The worst thing is to be a flat-hard hitter and use fx rubbers. The soft rubber, speeds up rapidly the life time of the top sheet.

-------------
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Date Posted: 01/18/2017 at 1:04am
If you don't dig up these old threads and instead just start a new one that seems to irk people.

Posted By: mts388
Date Posted: 01/18/2017 at 1:34am
Originally posted by *_strataras_* *_strataras_* wrote:

I believe the opposite, nopt only believe but also playing 13-14 years table tennis I have seen it in me and  in other players. The flat hitters use more strength in their strokes so the rubber hurts more and the top sheet gets destroyed more easily. The worst thing is to be a flat-hard hitter and use fx rubbers. The soft rubber, speeds up rapidly the life time of the top sheet.

I disagree.  On a flat hit the ball hits the rubber/sponge and bounces off without much damage to the sponge or rubber.

On a loop stroke the ball comes in at an angle and as it hits the topsheet the contact tears/or weakens the topsheet a little bit. 

Date Posted: 01/18/2017 at 2:33am
mts388 we obviously have different opinions. LOL

-------------
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Date Posted: 01/18/2017 at 3:07am

I disagree.  On a flat hit the ball hits the rubber/sponge and bounces off without much damage to the sponge or rubber.

On a loop stroke the ball comes in at an angle and as it hits the topsheet the contact tears/or weakens the topsheet a little bit. 

I agree with mts388, this is true according to Physics as well and that's my understanding as well.

Flat hitters can hit the ball from any part of the ball and the contact is not long whereas a looper has to brush the ball from a specific sweet spot and due to the friction given to the ball by this motion the top-sheet will deteriorate much faster.

Date Posted: 01/18/2017 at 4:19am
The only reason that I keep my opinion is that flat hitters always hit with more power than loopers.

-------------
OSP Virtuoso SQST
Tenergy 05(red 1,9mm BH)

Date Posted: 01/18/2017 at 5:41am

The only reason that I keep my opinion is that flat hitters always hit with more power than loopers.

More power yes but flat hitters don't use that much friction on their strokes, so naturally more friction from a top-spin looper would mean more wear and tear of the rubber.

Posted By: garwor
Date Posted: 01/18/2017 at 7:04am
3 months is max I can play with t05. I loop everything and after month and half sponge became little dead, which means you have to change stroke a little to use sponge more, also passive shots spread balls more on sides. I reglue it then with water based glue, and it become just slightly better, but only  for 2 weeks, then again it starts losing performance, and 3rd month is usually pain (i'm lazy to reglue it again; although it doesn't help much) until topsheet wears off and then I have to buy new sheet.
I use wood blades, don't know is it same with carbons.
For lower level pros it's probably ok, one month of good use. For amateurs, too expensive pleasure, 220 EUR per year only for fh rubber.

-------------
http://stonitenis.rs/equipmentreviews" rel="nofollow - Equipment database

Yinhe MC-2 FL
fh: Xiom Vega pro
bh: Xiom Vega pro

Boycott Marcos Freitas for hidden services!

Posted By: gatz
Date Posted: 01/18/2017 at 3:50pm
same with my tenergy 05 just last 3 months after that it is less lively anymore, maybe i should do some parrafin tuning with it at least it could extend a little bit longer, would that help?

-------------
Blade: ZJ SZLC, Garayda 5000 Matador Texa
Rubbers: FH::Symmetry SP BH: Tenergy Hard, FH: MoristoSP ax BH: Tenergy Hard,FH:Desperado 2 BH: Omega 7 Asia   

Date Posted: 01/18/2017 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by gatz gatz wrote:

same with my tenergy 05 just last 3 months after that it is less lively anymore, maybe i should do some parrafin tuning with it at least it could extend a little bit longer, would that help?

I've tried boosting new sheets of T05 with Daichan booster and didn't like the result.  However, I've also tried boosting old sheets of T05 (180 hours of play or more) and it really helped.  The only problem was that the boosting only helped for 3 or 4 weeks.  After that, you're going to need to boost again.

Date Posted: 01/19/2017 at 3:23am
Fatt,
What a wonderfully productive take on all of this.  I assume used sheets have to have all the glue removed by the seller?  Then just post on FS?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net