Print Page | Close Window

Looking for control blade

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40991
Printed Date: 04/28/2024 at 7:59am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Looking for control blade
Posted By: Aquaman
Subject: Looking for control blade
Date Posted: 04/01/2011 at 3:38pm
Hi all,

I am looking for a Allround high control blade.  Just looking for a blade that will improve my close-to-the-table consistency.  I do everything: loop, drive, block, smash, and occasionally chop.

I have narrowed the search to the following:

Donnic Appelgren Allplay Senso V2
Butterfly Andrezej Grubba
Stiga J.M. Saive Control
Donic Appelgren Allplay
Butterfly Grubba Pro
Donic Waldner Allplay
Butterfly Timo Boll ALL

I plan on putting Butterfly Flextra rubber on it. 

Does anyone have experience with more than one of these blades who can give me some comparisons?
Thanks.

-------------
Blade: Stiga Allround Classic
FH: JOOLA Rhyzm 2.0
BH: JOOLA Rhyzm 425 2.0

Replies:
Posted By: railroad
Date Posted: 04/01/2011 at 4:39pm
I like more Grubba Pro than any other blades, It is oversize, blocking is amazing, loops very good  and  easy, you can chop from mid distance.

Date Posted: 04/01/2011 at 4:47pm
I'm also looking for something with not much vibration.  Thanks.

-------------

Posted By: joris
Date Posted: 04/01/2011 at 7:42pm
You can compare with:
BTY Defence II
Nittaku Violoncello
Dr.Deubauer Barricade
Stiga Europa
Dunlop Allround,Matchpoint
Banda Jan-Ove Waldner

-------------
joris

Posted By: EZRO
Date Posted: 04/01/2011 at 8:54pm
Donic Burn All+ -- good feeling and control Tongue

-------------
Blade: Butterfly Photino and Keyshot light
FH: DONIC Baracuda / Tenergy 64 and 05
BH: 802-40/1 and Raystorm
DONIC BURN ALL+
FH Kokutaku 868 tacky
BH Kokutaku 110 Medium Pip

Posted By: nachalnik
Date Posted: 04/01/2011 at 9:28pm
BTY BalsaCarbo X3 is a great All+ blade, oversized head, tons of control.

Posted By: icontek
Date Posted: 04/01/2011 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Aquaman Aquaman wrote:

I have narrowed the search to the following...

Does anyone have experience with more than one of these blades who can give me some comparisons?

I played with the grubba pro for over a year - once I realized I was winning a lot more than with my OFF- blade.

I just bought an Apelgren Allplay after using one for an hour. Less thin and flexible than the grubba pro, may@be softer outer plies. Allplay is what allround classic should be.

Off the top of my head the grubba pro is more all-round with defensive control. The Apelgren seems like it favors controlled attacks on placement. Likely they both pair well with classic rubbers but I'm at a loss for what modern rubbers would work well
But I would guess some of your style and strokes would drive rubber choice

I'll get a chance to do a side by side this week so I can refresh my impressions of the grubba. It's been over two years with faster wood.

-------------
http://bit.ly/vLMhuB" rel="nofollow - - RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42

Date Posted: 04/02/2011 at 2:49am
Thanks icontek.  The Grubba Pro is the slowest of the bunch according to Paddle Palace ratings. Looking forward to your impressions once you get to try it again.

-------------

Posted By: Ndragon88
Date Posted: 04/02/2011 at 4:42am
I would say go for the Donic Waldner All play. or maybe a Stiga All classic.

Both were and still are very popular blades

-------------
Stiga Clipper
Skyline TG3 NEO/Palio Thors
www.youtube.com/ndragon88

Posted By: Ryuspin
Date Posted: 04/02/2011 at 6:04am
The grubba pro is really good at control game and I've tested it out with flextras and its a good combo

-------------
BTY Michael Maze Fl
FH: Tenergy 64 2.1 Black
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red

Posted By: konnichwakid1
Date Posted: 04/03/2011 at 12:01pm
Aquaman,

Are you buying this on a big budget? The cheaper Butterfly equipment is definitely a lower quality then the similarly priced blades and rubber from other distributors. Butterfly's high end is unmatched, but their low end is not anything special.

My favorite blade for control is the Innerforce ALC, but that is Butterfly's top end. Don't go with Butterfly low end. Butterfly is the best at the top, not the bottom. IMO.

-------------
Jun Mizutani with Tenergies

Posted By: AnimeLover
Date Posted: 04/03/2011 at 12:19pm
Sorry, I know its not on your list, but after reading reviews here on the Galaxy 896, I bought 1 and think it has excellent control and better yet its just $10.  Buying 3 more for backups.

Its funny, buying a cheap blade you tend to look for a reason its so cheap, and find a reason to dismiss it easily as somehow not a worthy equipment item.  Having said that, I was very shocked to realize how much I really love this blade. It is excellent for looping and blocking.

Date Posted: 04/03/2011 at 2:49pm
konichiwakid1: The Innerforce ALC is listed as an OFF blade.  I am looking for an ALL blade. 

AnimeLover: Thanks for the tip.  I just read some reviews, and it seems this blade is very one dimensional? (Good for looping, not for pushing and close to table play?)

-------------

Posted By: AnimeLover
Date Posted: 04/03/2011 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Aquaman Aquaman wrote:

konichiwakid1: The Innerforce ALC is listed as an OFF blade.  I am looking for an ALL blade. 

AnimeLover: Thanks for the tip.  I just read some reviews, and it seems this blade is very one dimensional? (Good for looping, not for pushing and close to table play?)

Its kinda funny, my 1st thought is pushing is not great on this blade.(feel is strange to me compared to my last blade) My results say otherwise though.  I am approx playing at 1400 lvl currently (took a several year break, peak was 1800 when i was regular player) and played a 1600 penhold player who would destroy me with his serves in the past.  While it did not have the feel i was used to, I did return his serves much better than in the past. I would say also when blocking it is easy to control as well. 

My style is close to the table as well.  I am all around player who will push looking for a chance to loop.

Date Posted: 04/03/2011 at 4:28pm
AnimeLover: what did you mean by "feel is strange"?  Does it vibrate a lot?

Thanks.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/15/2011 at 6:45pm
I bought the Butterfly Grubba Pro.  Boy is it slow.  Lots of control, for sure, but slower than even my Butterfly Yuki premade paddle (same Flextra 1.9 rubber).  I'll give it a try for a while, then probably will have to go to a little faster and more spinny rubber.

-------------

Posted By: icontek
Date Posted: 04/16/2011 at 8:05am
side by side with the walder allplay, the grubba pro is slower, more flexible and has more catapult.

last week, i put the grubba pro in the hands of a US1400 pips out player; Scott, the gentleman from that Intermediate video. He normally uses a schlager carbon with 1.5mm pips - and is someone I've been beating regularly. With the Grubba Pro and 2.2mm focus III - he immediately stomped me.

His strokes became both more active and more accurate, and the "lazy backhand" was replaced by attacking topspin.

Why? Because he had to swing, just to get the ball over the net :)

Do some attacking drills with it and tell us what you think about power/placement.

-------------
http://bit.ly/vLMhuB" rel="nofollow - - RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42

Date Posted: 04/16/2011 at 12:30pm
Yes, the slow paddle really forces you to commit to your strokes.  No more half-hearted swings or slow loops, or the ball wouldn't go over the net.  It's a great way to get your strokes down.  All beginners should really start with an ALL- blade, in my opinion.

What was funny was that one of the guys who I regularly play with, who is a defender/lobber, had to change his game and came in much closer to the table because my balls often dropped just on the other side of the net. LOL  I will have to work on getting them to land further in the corners.  It should not be hard, considering how much control this blade has.

-------------

Posted By: bluebucket
Date Posted: 04/16/2011 at 12:58pm
A competent player who's a control looper at my club and about 1900-2000 US only recently upgraded his grubba pro because it cracked. He had been using that with Sriver for around 10 years, I've used it and don't think it was especially slow at all. It's a good blade, you'll just take a while to get used to the different blade speed but there's no reason your actual game needs to be slower :!:D

Posted By: 2wingloop
Date Posted: 04/18/2011 at 4:05am
Get a Jonyer - H if u can get ur hands on one.....good for all the things u ve said! i know ppl who are 2200+ who still use this blade,all-out loopers , classical/old style defense players & modern defenders!

-------------
Stiga O.C WRB/Donic Coppa JO Gold (FH)/Yasaka Mark V (BH)

Stiga O.C WRB/Donic Coppa X1(Turbo) Platin(FH)/Xiom Vega Europe (BH)

Posted By: doraemon
Date Posted: 04/18/2011 at 4:18am
Aquaman, if I remember correctly, you used Samsonov Alpha for several years.  I would say that you have improved a lot since then, because at the intermediate level (funny thing actually) more and more of my friends getting slower blades and so did I.

We know that a beginner should start with ALL / ALL+ blade and progress from there.  However, in our case, we all started with OFF blades and now are playing with ALL+ / OFF- blades.  I said funny because as our technique is getting better, the more we appreciate the benefit of slower blades.

Posted By: mikepong
Date Posted: 04/18/2011 at 6:41am
grubba pro (imho), slow but with lots of control, the blade forces you to work hard on every stroke making you pay for incorrect techniques. although i would prefer yasaka gatien extra ( not in your list though) rated as off- but feels like an all+ for me, can do things a little faster with same control and lesser vibration, just my opinion and i could be wrong. 

Posted By: john bauer
Date Posted: 07/29/2011 at 1:25am
hi..im looking for the butterfly grubba pro all with anotomic handle..ok? im looking to buy several of these blades.. i need the regular (all) speed grubba pro anotomic handle..not the all-   and not all+   my e-mail  [email protected]

Posted By: ttennis1
Date Posted: 07/29/2011 at 6:07am
@doraemon
Finally as Getien Extra has come up for discussion and you say it fits the bill, what is your opinion about Butterfly Primorac OFF-?

Thanks

-------------
Butterfly Primorac (OFF-)
FH:Yasaka Mark-V (max)
BH:Butterfly Flextra (1.5)

Posted By: friendship
Date Posted: 07/29/2011 at 6:17am
grubba pro is oversize, therefore more air resistance, not the best choice for attacker

Posted By: friendship
Date Posted: 07/29/2011 at 8:00am
Originally posted by icontek icontek wrote:

side by side with the walder allplay, the grubba pro is slower, more flexible and has more catapult.

last week, i put the grubba pro in the hands of a US1400 pips out player; Scott, the gentleman from that Intermediate video. He normally uses a schlager carbon with 1.5mm pips - and is someone I've been beating regularly. With the Grubba Pro and 2.2mm focus III - he immediately stomped me.

His strokes became both more active and more accurate, and the "lazy backhand" was replaced by attacking topspin.

Why? Because he had to swing, just to get the ball over the net :)

Do some attacking drills with it and tell us what you think about power/placement.

and this is why it is so many times said that controlled blade and overall bat speed is better choice for lower level players; above, no rule, it's individual

Clap

Posted By: frogger
Date Posted: 07/29/2011 at 1:40pm
Don't forget the great Yasaka Sweden Classic. A flexible blade with alot of dwell time but not turtle slow like the Grubba Pro. Paired with Mark V 1.8 is perfect control for all shots.Thumbs Up

-------------
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Posted By: shay2be
Date Posted: 07/29/2011 at 2:43pm
lkt instinct?

Posted By: racquetsforsale
Date Posted: 07/29/2011 at 2:52pm
Donic Persson Powerallround

Posted By: wturber
Date Posted: 07/29/2011 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by shay2be shay2be wrote:

lkt instinct?

Aboslutely.  The LKT Instinct (5-ply) is a great add to the list.  It is what I use - though I play hardbat.  For Hardbat I'd rate it as possibly even defensive because the outer wood plies are soft.  But with sponge it is probably an all-play.

The only knock I have on the LKT Instinct is that its finish is pretty mediocre.  But I think it is a great all-play blade at a fantastic price.  Makes having a good spare easier.

I started with a Donic All-Play and can recommend that blade as well.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX

Posted By: Sentenza
Date Posted: 07/29/2011 at 4:52pm
Joola Eagle Medium, High control, good speed, low price.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/zoom2jeaglemed.jpg/">

Posted By: matija1312
Date Posted: 11/11/2012 at 12:21pm
hi everyone, i just want to ask you something about butterfly blade Oh Sang Eun and butterfly blade Petr Korbel. which blade is better, has better control and everything?? thanks :)

Posted By: king_pong
Date Posted: 11/11/2012 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Don't forget the great Yasaka Sweden Classic. A flexible blade with alot of dwell time but not turtle slow like the Grubba Pro. Paired with Mark V 1.8 is perfect control for all shots.Thumbs Up
+1  I own one that I got from Tabletennis11.com for just $19.  Great blade, 86g, slightly head-heavy.  Very similar to Donic Allplay

-------------
Stiga Infinity VPS (Master): fh/bh - Nittaku Hammond CR max

Posted By: Mahmood
Date Posted: 11/11/2012 at 1:47pm
I am sorry to mention another blade that is not in your list... I don't mean to confuse you or to complicate your desicion, but I really think you should consider Kokutaku Cremrtop.

It's an all-round 5 ply-wood blade.
With a very high-quality finish.
Not very flexy and not too much vibration.

I know Kokutaku is not a very famous brand, some might not even know it, but it's very good, at least Cremrtop.
The price is kinda ok as well, its costs about 40$. But the compensation is in the quality.
I honestly think it's cheap for the quality.

Personaly, I will buy one as soon as I get some cash, it's a keeper.
I havent had the chance to try any of the blades you listed above!

-------------
Bty Zhang Jike (fl 85gm)

FH: 729 transced (red max)
BH: BlueFire M1 (black Max)

Posted By: dorfmeister
Date Posted: 03/24/2015 at 7:12pm
I've got a Stiga Allround Classic with Max thickness Mendo Energy rubber. It is my first pro level bat. Actually feels kind of fast and harder to control than the cheap pre-made bats I had used before.

Date Posted: 03/24/2015 at 7:48pm
After trying several on the list, I ended up with Stiga Allround Classic and have been using one for a couple of years now, with various rubbers.  Current rubbers are Joola Rhyzm 425 forehand and regular Rhyzm backhand, both 2.0 mm.  I like this set up. 

-------------

Posted By: asifgunz
Date Posted: 03/24/2015 at 9:45pm
Might be offtopic, but here;s my two cents.
I'm just speaking from personal experience. Xiom Stradavarious is just perfect for block, push, loop on both wings, as well as chop. Came from a 729 bomb to Strad and immediately saw a difference. Then again theres a 60$ difference between the two.
Theres also hayabusa zxi but seeing your selection of blades, It's probably a better investment once you get further into tt.

-------------

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629

Posted By: pnachtwey
Date Posted: 03/24/2015 at 11:28pm
Blades don't have control.  You do.
Play with blades that feel good to you and give you confidence.

-------------
I TT therefore I am

Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 1:19am
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

Might be offtopic, but here;s my two cents.
I'm just speaking from personal experience. Xiom Stradavarious is just perfect for block, push, loop on both wings, as well as chop. Came from a 729 bomb to Strad and immediately saw a difference. Then again theres a 60$ difference between the two.
Theres also hayabusa zxi but seeing your selection of blades, It's probably a better investment once you get further into tt.
The Stradivarious sounds great.  I may try it sometime when I feel like going back to a faster blade.  As far as getting further into TT, I don't think that's going to happen.  I have been playing for over 45 years, so now it's more like fending off the age factor.  ;-)  And cost wasn't the reason for my blade selection.  I was just looking for a slower, more controllable blade.  I have had (and still do) dozens of faster blades, including the Butterfly Keyshot (original version), Sardius (speed demon), Viscaria, etc.  I just enjoy playing with a slower blade now.  I can swing hard and the ball still lands on the table--it pleasantly surprises me every time.  LOL

-------------

Posted By: yogi_bear
Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 8:28am
stiga OC, Adidas Challenge Light, Tibhar Samsonov Alpha, Nexy Peter Pan

-------------
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Posted By: tabletennis11
Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 2:18pm
Good choice, the Stiga Allround Classic is a well balanced blade. Stiga really do have a fantastic reputation for producing blades and it's not hard to see why. Great to hear this blade is working out for you! :)

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6QlKrAbsMQ?utm_source=mytt-signature" rel="nofollow - Click Here to see TableTennis11 CEO Sergei Petrov's Introductory Interview - Tabletennis11.com

Posted By: APW46
Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by tabletennis11 tabletennis11 wrote:

Good choice, the Stiga Allround Classic is a well balanced blade.

17 years now and still going strong, power when you need it, touch supreme. Needs a fast Rubber for attacking play though.

-------------
The Older I get, The better I was.

Posted By: AgentHEX
Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 6:37pm
The problem with Stiga's "control" blades ATM is that quality on their current lower end lineup is kinda terrible, esp in the wood chosen. I've gotten ridiculous grain directions/patches/knots.

Supposedly they used to be much better made at Woodhouse before moving on to their factory elsewhere, and it seems Donic/Yasaka's swedish-born counterparts like Allplay are still made at Woodhouse and retain good quality.

I have a bunch of these blades and they're similar enough that picking based on value/money or even handle pref is decent idea. For example, Yasaka (Sweden classic) has smaller FL handle than Donic Allplay, but supposedly thick ST.

-------------
Science; upsetting the indignant since http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_affair#Inquisition_and_first_judgement.2C_1616" rel="nofollow - 1616 .

Posted By: TwiddleDee
Date Posted: 03/27/2015 at 8:26pm
My back up blade is the Sweden Classic with 1.9 Tenergy 05 on both sides. Doesn't vibrate as much as Stiga all around. Does everything well. The straight handle is quite thin. Very forgiving combination. Easy to smash with.

Posted By: frogger
Date Posted: 03/28/2015 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by TwiddleDee TwiddleDee wrote:

My back up blade is the Sweden Classic with 1.9 Tenergy 05 on both sides. Doesn't vibrate as much as Stiga all around. Does everything well. The straight handle is quite thin. Very forgiving combination. Easy to smash with.

That's interesting. The Sweden Classic ST. I have has a huge grip. Even fatter than my Stiga Clipper Classic ST.

-------------
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Posted By: king_pong
Date Posted: 03/29/2015 at 5:05pm
Donic Waldner Ultra Senso Carbon (for new 40+ ball).  Amazing control to speed ratio.  Large sweet-spot too.

-------------
Stiga Infinity VPS (Master): fh/bh - Nittaku Hammond CR max

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net