Print Page | Close Window

Pros who don't use sponsors equipment

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=56482
Printed Date: 05/06/2024 at 11:36am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Pros who don't use sponsors equipment
Posted By: petermoo
Subject: Pros who don't use sponsors equipment
Date Posted: 01/12/2013 at 7:37pm
I've been wanting to compile list of pros who dont actually use the equipment that they are sponsored by for a long time and I wondered if any of you knowledgeable folks here can help me populate the list.
I can readily remember Kong Linghui struggled to find something from Butterfly that he could play with as well as the most recent examples of players like Christian Suss, who is sponsored by Andro but plays with Tenergy.
Its also rumored that the Donic players Ovtcharov and Baum also use Tenergy.
Can anyone add to this list of top 50 players who do this?

Petermoo 

-------------
Petermoo
AcudaS1 Max
JO Silver
Butterfly Gergely Carbon
http://petermoo.blogspot.com/

Replies:
Posted By: cmetsbeltran15
Date Posted: 01/12/2013 at 7:39pm
Everybody not sponsored by Butterfly LOL

Posted By: vutiendat1337
Date Posted: 01/12/2013 at 7:50pm
it is also rumored that Baum plays with TBS but Donic handles. On the rubber side, I am not sure how legit that source is but in the "interview" conducted by ttimpossible, Baum said that he plays with Bluefires. But again, don't quote me on that. 

And if I am not mistaken, Chen Qi should be sponsored by Double Fish but never play with any of its equipment.

-------------
bty petr korbel st
fh: donic bluefire red
bh: dawei iqul black
USATT:1811
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40320&title=feedbackvutiendat1337" rel="nofollow - Feedback me

Posted By: JimT
Date Posted: 01/12/2013 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by petermoo petermoo wrote:

I've been wanting to compile list of pros who dont actually use the equipment that they are sponsored by for a long time and I wondered if any of you knowledgeable folks here can help me populate the list.
I can readily remember Kong Linghui struggled to find something from Butterfly that he could play with as well as the most recent examples of players like Christian Suss, who is sponsored by Andro but plays with Tenergy.
Its also rumored that the Donic players Ovtcharov and Baum also use Tenergy.
Can anyone add to this list of top 50 players who do this?

Petermoo 

For a very long time - until 2008-2009 - Vladimir Samsonov played with his old trusty Butterfly Mazunov (legend has it, it was actually given to him by Andrey Mazunov himself around 1991-92) until it became too old and warped (then he started using some Tibhar Stratus carbon blades).

However, since he always used grip tape, the handle was not exposed so Tibhar didn't have to worry about his fans spotting the discrepancy.

-------------
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...

Posted By: derekho
Date Posted: 01/12/2013 at 8:12pm
Even though pros are sponsored, they never play with something they don't want.

-------------
Blade: Ross Leidy Custom

Fh: Rakza Z Extra Hard

Bh: Tenergy 05

Posted By: W0LovePP
Date Posted: 01/12/2013 at 8:24pm
Some pros use "custom" blades. Does it count "sponsored"?

-------------
Yasaka Galaxya

Butterfly Amultart SI

Date Posted: 01/12/2013 at 8:33pm
Ma Long hasn't started playing with DHS blade until after WTTC 2011. Nittaku Rutis, TBS, TB ALC. For all it's worth, he never even used any of this signature blades so far, not unless you count the rumored Hurricane Long III.

-------------
bty petr korbel st
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40320&title=feedbackvutiendat1337" rel="nofollow - Feedback me

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 01/12/2013 at 8:36pm
Zhang Jike uses a Butterfly blade, just not the one with his name on it.

Date Posted: 01/12/2013 at 8:39pm
most CNT Stiga sponsored players only use Stiga blades but not rubbers. Same goes to Ma Lin with his YEO but dhs/bty rubbers.

-------------
bty petr korbel st

Date Posted: 01/12/2013 at 8:45pm
I know Hao Shuai used to be sponsored by Friendship, I wonder what he really uses?

-------------
Petermoo
AcudaS1 Max
JO Silver
Butterfly Gergely Carbon

Date Posted: 01/12/2013 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by vutiendat1337 vutiendat1337 wrote:

most CNT Stiga sponsored players only use Stiga blades but not rubbers. Same goes to Ma Lin with his YEO but dhs/bty rubbers.
I thought Xu Xin would at least use Stiga for his backhand rubber.

-------------
Petermoo
AcudaS1 Max
JO Silver
Butterfly Gergely Carbon

Posted By: batt
Date Posted: 01/12/2013 at 8:59pm

Freitas is sponsored by Tibhar but plays with Maze blade and two T05. Tokic (Tibhar) with two T05. Apolonia (Tibhar) might have changed but he used Korbel and T05 FH. Skachkov (Donic) uses Korbel Speed and two T05.

Outside the top 50, Habesohn (Joola) and Flore (Tibhar) among many others use BTY rubbers and/or blades.

Seems like most players not using their sponsor's equipment are using BTY.

Date Posted: 01/12/2013 at 9:08pm

I know Hao Shuai used to be sponsored by Friendship, I wonder what he really uses?

As of now, he uses DHS 506, DHS blue sponge either skyline/hurricane and I assume Tenergy on BH. I mean, you can pretty much say this is the setup of most players on CNT with great confidence. 

If I am not mistaken, he uses Tenergy on his BH. I remember seeing some pictures where you can see Xu Xin's BH rubber had a butterfly sign on it. True, it is probably 2 or 3 years old but I doubt he switched to Calibra or Boost TC or whatever Stiga claims

-------------
bty petr korbel st

Posted By: 7plywood
Date Posted: 01/12/2013 at 9:53pm

Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 01/13/2013 at 1:57am

As of now, he uses DHS 506, DHS blue sponge either skyline/hurricane and I assume Tenergy on BH. I mean, you can pretty much say this is the setup of most players on CNT with great confidence. 

If I am not mistaken, he uses Tenergy on his BH. I remember seeing some pictures where you can see Xu Xin's BH rubber had a butterfly sign on it. True, it is probably 2 or 3 years old but I doubt he switched to Calibra or Boost TC or whatever Stiga claims

last time i saw it was a white sponge rubber in xu'bh  anyway not even a heavily boosted tenergy would sound that loud

Posted By: beeray1
Date Posted: 01/13/2013 at 2:03am
I've seen nothing but a tenergy sponge on xu xin's BH for a long time.

Posted By: atv
Date Posted: 01/13/2013 at 2:07am
I am just curious who else besides Timo is using both side rubbers and blade the same brand he is sponsored by? I only know the whole CNT are not...

-------------
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755

Date Posted: 01/13/2013 at 2:19am
Originally posted by atv atv wrote:

I am just curious who else besides Timo is using both side rubbers and blade the same brand he is sponsored by? I only know the whole CNT are not...

Hm, Jun Mizutani with his JM ZLC and T64s, Vladi with Evo rubbers and whatever tibhar blades that is. Marcos Freitas seems to be using Tenergy both sides on Michael Maze. Petr Korbel uses T05 on customized butterfly korbel hand. There's definitely more and I dare say that most Europeans players use what they are given

-------------
bty petr korbel st

Posted By: atv
Date Posted: 01/13/2013 at 2:26am

Originally posted by atv atv wrote:

Hm, Jun Mizutani with his JM ZLC and T64s, Vladi with Evo rubbers and whatever tibhar blades that is. Marcos Freitas seems to be using Tenergy both sides on Michael Maze. Petr Korbel uses T05 on customized butterfly korbel hand. There's definitely more and I dare say that most Europeans players use what they are given

Yeah I guess the number is bigger in Europe where DHS is not in the picture most of time, thanks for bringing those names and equipments up!

-------------
YEO
FH: 729 08 ES
BH: Focus III Snipe
Senkoh-1
FH: H3 Comm
BH: 755

Posted By: yogi_bear
Date Posted: 01/13/2013 at 2:39am
vladi is using samsonov force pro blade

-------------
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Posted By: Imago
Date Posted: 01/13/2013 at 2:44am
Werner Schlager plays with Primorac Carbon.

Posted By: JimT
Date Posted: 01/13/2013 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

vladi is using samsonov force pro blade

only for the last year or so

-------------
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...

Date Posted: 01/13/2013 at 1:25pm
I know Chen Weixing is supposed to be a Joola player, does anyone here know what he's currently using?

-------------
Petermoo
AcudaS1 Max
JO Silver
Butterfly Gergely Carbon

Date Posted: 01/13/2013 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by Imago Imago wrote:

Werner Schlager plays with Primorac Carbon.

there is a video where xu xin raquet is on the table and the sponge is white or cream  , person blascik  played with bryce while them  should have been playing with something else, many wrap their raquet so nobody can tell they are cheating their sponsors,

lol i ve seen liu guozheng playing with a sunflex blade  in early 2000's  LGL playing with mark v while he was sponsored with stiga,,jpen players playing with nittaku while sponsored by yasaka  thats the reason many pros dont like to show you their raquets

Posted By: manofan
Date Posted: 01/13/2013 at 8:28pm

I know Chen Weixing is supposed to be a Joola player, does anyone here know what he's currently using?

DefenceII with Haifu Shark III and Curl p1r

-------------
http://ooakforum.com - OOAK Table Tennis Forum

Posted By: BizLawProf
Date Posted: 01/14/2013 at 3:44pm
You'd think the manufacturers doing the sponsoring would at least have an agreement with each other to stamp their own logos on the other company's equipment, such as I've been told  happens with many tour pro golfers.

Posted By: Tinykin
Date Posted: 01/14/2013 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by BizLawProf BizLawProf wrote:

You'd think the manufacturers doing the sponsoring would at least have an agreement with each other to stamp their own logos on the other company's equipment, such as I've been told  happens with many tour pro golfers.

Why would Butterfly agree to that?

-------------
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset

Posted By: IanMcg
Date Posted: 01/14/2013 at 8:40pm

For rubbers, companies would have to make new moulds for their rubbers (expensive), and pay to legalize their new rubber with the ittf (expensive, would also make all other versions of the rubber illegal if the old one was replaced)

As for blades, players are doing something like that anyways... Replacing handles, blade tags etc.

Date Posted: 01/15/2013 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Why would Butterfly agree to that?

Good point, they'd only agree to it in a more competitive marketplace.  Golf doesn't have one company dominating at the higher levels of the sport like TT, therefore you get these agreements with golf companies (or at least used to).  Butterfly has no rational reason to do this at this point.  Again, fair point.

Date Posted: 01/15/2013 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

For rubbers, companies would have to make new moulds for their rubbers (expensive), and pay to legalize their new rubber with the ittf (expensive, would also make all other versions of the rubber illegal if the old one was replaced)

As for blades, players are doing something like that anyways... Replacing handles, blade tags etc.

Molds aren't that expensive in context of the whole cost associated with the product so long as it's a reasonably large run.  Was part of a company that brought a plastic household product to market a decade ago, the mold was expensive to have designed and CNC machined (something like $100,000 USD, I think, and it was a much more complex mold than I think you'd have for a rubber), but in the context of the production run, it was a relatively small portion of the total cost, packaging was more expensive as I recall, the cut the distributor got was a lot more expensive to total cost, the cut the sales reps got was about the same.  And in the case of the rubber, it would be taking a mold already designed and just having it ground w/ different logo.  Not a big deal, so long as we're talking hundreds of thousands or millions of rubbers, pittance.  As for ITTF expenses, I don't have any notion what they'd be, so that might be the knock out, you may have good point there.

Posted By: Anderni
Date Posted: 01/15/2013 at 12:29pm

The runs won't be that large though. Let's say Donic has 30 pro players that want 2xTenergy a week for a year, that's 3k rubbers a year. Then you need a separate mold for Andro etc.

Date Posted: 01/15/2013 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by Anderni Anderni wrote:

The runs won't be that large though. Let's say Donic has 30 pro players that want 2xTenergy a week for year, that's 3k rubbers a year. Then you need a separate mold for Andro etc.

Well, 3,000 rubbers a year would only add up to an additional $2+/- USD per rubber (assuming the mold with Donic's logo and BTY's Tenergy rubber costs less than the $100,000 USD mold I was discussing earlier for a more complex design). That's a fraction of at least the retail cost of such a rubber.

...but I still think the point's moot because it's unlikely, at least at the elite levels of pros and 2000 USATT (or other nations' equiv) players, that BTY thinks there's much in it for them. 

In more competitive industries, if you find a competitor's product that you like and you have something they like, it's very common to private label each other's product--quid pro quo.  Just not sure given BTY's dominance of the market at the more elite levels of the sport that they'd make such an agreement, as Tinykin pointed out.

Date Posted: 01/15/2013 at 12:46pm
True. Good insider info from the plastics industry! Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 01/15/2013 at 2:06pm
Then again, of course this assumes it'd be 3,000 rubbers a year and that my info isn't hopelessly outdated.Embarrassed

Date Posted: 01/15/2013 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by Anderni Anderni wrote:

The runs won't be that large though. Let's say Donic has 30 pro players that want 2xTenergy a week for a year, that's 3k rubbers a year. Then you need a separate mold for Andro etc.

i know that sponsored pros are given enough rubbers to use a new pair 3 times a week

Date Posted: 01/15/2013 at 3:12pm
Wow, that's a lot of rubber.  But I guess they probably put in about 40 - 50 hrs of practice and play a week, suppose they burn through it pretty fast.

Date Posted: 01/15/2013 at 6:20pm
  Hoh, even when they're just training for a month without league or tournament play? That's a lot of rubber in any case.

Posted By: AllAboutTableTennis
Date Posted: 01/18/2013 at 8:46am

most CNT Stiga sponsored players only use Stiga blades but not rubbers.
Stiga only make blades.
Their rubbers are made by other companies and Stiga name is put on it.

-------------
Martin
http://www.allabouttabletennis.com/ - http://www.allabouttabletennis.com/

Posted By: jonyer1980
Date Posted: 10/20/2016 at 11:55am
I still wonder why Koki or kenta don´t have their own blade named by BTY since they´re BTY player and japanese as well. Same thing happens with ctw

-------------
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing

Posted By: obesechopper
Date Posted: 10/20/2016 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

I still wonder why Koki or kenta don´t have their own blade named by BTY since they´re BTY player and japanese as well. Same thing happens with ctw

There is the kenta matsudaira alc from butterfly

Date Posted: 10/20/2016 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

Because koki is sponsored by victas

Posted By: beeray1
Date Posted: 10/20/2016 at 2:00pm
deleted.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net