Print Page | Close Window

Tibhar 5Q Sound vs 1Q Sound Review

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61923
Printed Date: 04/27/2024 at 1:27pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tibhar 5Q Sound vs 1Q Sound Review
Posted By: yogi_bear
Subject: Tibhar 5Q Sound vs 1Q Sound Review
Date Posted: 07/28/2013 at 9:52pm
I received the package from Tibhar last thursday and was excited that I got these 2 new rubbers together with their 3 blades (I still need to have the red cypress and rapid carbon light).

Tibhar 1Q Sound Red Max

Weight: 66 grams
Sponge Hardnes: medium
Speed: Off

Tibhar 5Q Sound Black Max

Weight: 64 grams
Sponge Hardness: medium soft
Speed: off-

I was a bit puzzled at first why the 5Q sound has a 5Q+ logo on the topsheet. It is listed in the ITTF LARC also as 5Q+ and not 5Q sound. The 1Q sound topsheet looks like just the former 1Q regular with no special markings. Both rubbers come in the usual shiny and good looking packages and as expected these are very high quality made rubbers from Tibhar.

Concerning the sponge hardness, the 1q Sound is not as soft as the aurus sound or evolution fx-p. I made the Aurus sound as a baseline for comparing softness of rubbers in Tibhar. The 1Q sound is closer to a medium rather than a medium soft rubber. The 5Q sound is soft but it is not as soft as the Aurus Sound. There is a little bit more firmness in the 5Q sound. 

Blades used in testing:
1. Tibhar Furious & Curious Blades
2. Tibhar White Sword
3. Yinhe T-11

On speed

The 1Q sound has a lot of speed with it. Not as fast as the 5Q regular but still got enough springiness. I would say it is almost as fast as the el-p and faster than the fx-p evolution rubbers. The 5Q sound is faster than the Aurus sound and maybe equal to that of the fx-p speed. Both rubbers have a loud elastic sound when hitting flat but the 5Q felt louder.

On Attacks with Spin

Both Q rubbers are spinnier than their predecessor Q brothers. The 1 Q sound was more comfortable than the 1Q regular because it is much easier to spin with and the sponge is softer. The 5Q sound is the spinniest Q rubber on slow loops, push chops and serves. 1Q sound is very spinny too but it is more of a balanced rubber in terms of speed and spin. The 1Q sound has a medium to high arc when looping slow and the 5Q sound has a profound high arc when doing spinny loops. The 1Q sound however felt really good when taking the ball early above the table with spin drives. 

On other strokes

I was more comfortable with the 1Q sound when hitting more through the sponge than the 5Q sound. The sponge compression with the 1Q sound  was not as much compared to the 5Qsound which has the tendency to bottom out when you hit too hard. The aurus sound bottoms out much more. Although the aurus sound is softer, the it flat hits and smashed better than the 5QS (5q sound because its too long to repeat) which both me and a friend share the common view when it was glued to a yinhe t-11 blade. I didn't have any problems smashing with the 1QS. On active or punch blocks the 1QS is good but on passive blocks against strong attacks loaded with spin, the 5QS performs better.

On their purpose

I think 5QS was made for players who wanted more spin out of the 5Q regular. Though the first 5Q was already very spinny, Tibhar made a softer sponge and made it spinnier with some loss of speed. It is more suited on a spinny and controlled strokes close to the table. At medium distance, you need to apply a lil more effort to produce stronger shots. I think it is more of a backhand rubber. The 1QS on the other hand is better until medium distance from the table and it attacks consistently up to that distance. On far distance like 7-8 feet away from the table, it tends to lose some power. I would recommend the 1QS both for the fh and bh because it is much more balanced in terms of performance. I only wish it is as spinny as the 5Qs though then it would be a perfect rubber.

-------------
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Replies:
Posted By: speaquinox
Date Posted: 07/29/2013 at 3:18am
Nice review, thanks! Can you compare FX-P to 5QS?

-------------
Innerforce ALC, Glayzer / Rozena

Date Posted: 07/29/2013 at 4:53am
fx-p is still faster than 5QS but i think 5QS is spinnier in slow loops and with higher arc too

-------------
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Posted By: igszoctan
Date Posted: 07/29/2013 at 9:54am
Originally posted by speaquinox speaquinox wrote:

Nice review, thanks! Can you compare FX-P to 5QS?

+1

Must-try-it-soon rubber Q5S Wink

By the way, I reckon Q5S may never be bottomed out easily even if Thor's Hammer is used.

Not a big hitter I am though I couldn't feel Aurus Sound doing so.

-------------
igszoctan
Fh: Rasant PowerGrip (2.1)
Blades: Appelgren Allplay
Bh: Rasant Powersponge(1.9)
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66928&PID=807706󅌚
Strength and honour

Date Posted: 07/29/2013 at 10:13am
Is 5QS softer than FX-P?

-------------

Posted By: Scorpnox
Date Posted: 07/29/2013 at 11:45am
How does the 1Q sound compare to BF M2?

Date Posted: 07/29/2013 at 7:34pm
ive tried the M2 and its closer to the el-p evolution than the 1Qsound, 1Q sound felt a lil bit more firm than the m2 but i like the 1Q sound better because it loop drives better above the table, on the rise. 

-------------

Date Posted: 07/30/2013 at 5:10am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

ive tried the M2 and its closer to the el-p evolution than the 1Qsound, 1Q sound felt a lil bit more firm than the m2 but i like the 1Q sound better because it loop drives better above the table, on the rise. 

Sounds great :)
Is it good for opening on backspin?

Date Posted: 07/30/2013 at 6:19am
yes, the 1Q sound is good for looping backspin because its easy to create spin and its fast and controllable

-------------

Date Posted: 07/30/2013 at 8:07am
It gets even more frustrating. I'm mostly happy with my m3 but given the good reviews about fx-p, i was about to order a pair. Now there's the 5q sound. I like soft dwelly rubbers which you can load up spin with high dwell, with good glue feel and sound. I'm not after speed much. Some people say that fx-p is grippier than m3 and the sponge is more dynamic but it is lower throw. Some say it is spinnier than m3 and some not. I'm about to order rubbers for the new season but it really gives me a headache.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/30/2013 at 8:44am
between the fx-p and 5Q sound and basing on your post get the fx-p

-------------

Date Posted: 07/30/2013 at 11:49am
Originally posted by speaquinox speaquinox wrote:

It gets even more frustrating. I'm mostly happy with my m3 but given the good reviews about fx-p, i was about to order a pair. Now there's the 5q sound. I like soft dwelly rubbers which you can load up spin with high dwell, with good glue feel and sound. I'm not after speed much. Some people say that fx-p is grippier than m3 and the sponge is more dynamic but it is lower throw. Some say it is spinnier than m3 and some not. I'm about to order rubbers for the new season but it really gives me a headache.

+1!!!!

Posted By: Ray
Date Posted: 10/27/2013 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

I received the package from Tibhar last thursday and was excited that I got these 2 new rubbers together with their 3 blades (I still need to have the red cypress and rapid carbon light).

Tibhar 1Q Sound Red Max

Weight: 66 grams
Sponge Hardnes: medium
Speed: Off

Note the difference on hardness scale. Very odd. Ermm

-------------
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
https://fb.me/spinnier" rel="nofollow - fb.me/spinnier

Posted By: tabletennis11
Date Posted: 10/27/2013 at 10:28pm
Tibhar are quite infamous for producing 'sound' series of their rubber varieties which are great for producing extra spin and have a bit more spring and impact between topsheet and sponge. This is evident across the nimbus and sinus series and 1Q also. Agree the hardness scale seems a little odd, the sound rubbers are usually soft-medium, so perhaps the 1Q will offer something a little different.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6QlKrAbsMQ?utm_source=mytt-signature" rel="nofollow - Click Here to see TableTennis11 CEO Sergei Petrov's Introductory Interview - Tabletennis11.com

Date Posted: 11/17/2013 at 8:25am
If you closely look photos above, you'll notice the same rubber with different hardness scale declared on the package.

1Q Sound should be medium to medium soft (most likely) or medium to medium hard, but it can't be both.

-------------

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com" rel="nofollow - https://twitter.com/spinnier_com

Date Posted: 11/19/2013 at 12:10am
1Q Sound should be medium to medium soft, most of the Sound series of rubber from Tibhar have been soft and spongier to give a more sprung effect. Sinus and Nimbus Sound are both medium soft rubbers.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6QlKrAbsMQ?utm_source=mytt-signature" rel="nofollow - Click Here to see TableTennis11 CEO Sergei Petrov's Introductory Interview - Tabletennis11.com

Posted By: AndySmith
Date Posted: 11/19/2013 at 4:44am
I've had a couple of sessions with 5QS in the past week. It reminds me a lot of T05-FX. Soft, high throw. However, it feels more linear and reliable than T05-FX. Blocks and pushes better. It is slower and has less spin on bigger strokes though.

If you want a high throw, high grippy spin, medium speed, soft rubber then 5QS is a solid choice.

-------------
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.

Posted By: t64t64t64
Date Posted: 11/20/2013 at 5:35am
I dunno but for me 5q was the spinniest in Q series
very fast and elastic rubber,you feel how the ball sink in...
i cannot image how will play if boosted,but this rubbers for me require more technique than playing with tenergy,and throw angle is really high.Its good on forehand and good on backhand.
Medium weight,so i pressume 5qS is even lighter sound is better and catapult is higher

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵

Date Posted: 11/20/2013 at 5:40am
Originally posted by t64t64t64 t64t64t64 wrote:

I dunno but for me 5q was the spinniest in Q series
very fast and elastic rubber,you feel how the ball sink in...
i cannot image how will play if boosted,but this rubbers for me require more technique than playing with tenergy,and throw angle is really high

5Q Sound is much easier to handle than 5Q IMO.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/20/2013 at 6:03am
very good to hear it,do you think its more FH than BH oriented ?

-------------

Date Posted: 11/20/2013 at 6:15am

very good to hear it,do you think its more FH than BH oriented ?

That is the question for me.

I used it on the FH for my two sessions so far. I liked it, but the top end speed/spin is surprisingly high. There is a lot of elastic "kick" there, while the low end is very easy to control. It was easy to push short, open up against backspin, and loop/counter from distance. The short game was VERY forgiving compared to 5Q. It was tricky to loop with power from close-in - as you said with 5Q, the throw is high. The ball tends to land deep, but the bounce is high so it can be an easy put-away for the opponent. More wrist and less arm should sort that out, but I'm feeling my way into it at the moment.

I will be trying it on the BH side next week, but I usually prefer lower-throw BH rubbers (I'm back on Aurus Soft/Sound at the moment).

That said, if you don't like soft rubbers on the FH side, then it can only be a BH rubber. :-)

-------------

Date Posted: 11/20/2013 at 6:28am
Thats where i end :)
Aurus sound 
5q was beyond my level 

-------------

Date Posted: 11/20/2013 at 6:43am

Thats where i end :)
Aurus sound 
5q was beyond my level 

Ah, well. I'll report back when I've put a bit more time into 5QS then. I find it heard to beat the softer Aurus rubbers for BH performance.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/22/2013 at 5:58pm
Yogi - if you're still watching this thread - how would you compare Tenzone Ultra with 1Q Sound?

-------------

Posted By: igszoctan
Date Posted: 11/22/2013 at 11:36pm
Well, I have been experimenting with my brand new 5QS 2.1 on FH for two weeks and I must tell you I lack the power and spin of Adidas P7 or Evolution EL and FX which excel at these features so all of a sudden decision I have added a bucket of booster to the sponge and thick oiled the gum to see what happens. Next week it will tun out. I am eager to see the result.
Anyway, Rasant Powersponge or Tenzone Ultra on FH would be a promising combination, wouldn't it? Unfortunately I have not had the chance to play with them.

-------------
igszoctan
Fh: Rasant PowerGrip (2.1)
Blades: Appelgren Allplay
Bh: Rasant Powersponge(1.9)
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66928&PID=807706󅌚
Strength and honour

Date Posted: 11/25/2013 at 8:20am
Rasant Powersponge would be better if you have a more spin based attacking game, as the Tenzone Ultra is a bit more for the big third ball and more forward driven attacking game. R Powesponge is a medium soft sponge where Tenzone Ultra is firmer. Rasant Turbo is also another one you could look at for FH rubber.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/25/2013 at 9:10am
Originally posted by tabletennis11 tabletennis11 wrote:

Rasant Powersponge would be better if you have a more spin based attacking game...

Yes, +1. But...

You know, the older generations of ESN always had softer rubbers which were speed-orientated. Bouncy, smashy, blocky things. The last one I used which was like that was probably Rakza 7 Soft. Since then, all the softer ones I've tried have been like Rasant Powersponge. JP-03, 5Q Sound, the softer Rhyzms. Not bouncy, but with a dead feel at low speeds. And not REALLY soft, like Acuda S3 or Desto F3. More medium-soft.

tt1 - are there any new-gen soft ESN rubbers which favour drivers and hitters?

-------------

Posted By: W0LovePP
Date Posted: 09/28/2014 at 8:58am
I have played with R7 Soft for a few months. Just played with 5Q Sound for 3 hours. R7 Soft and 5Q Sound were on the same blade. 

It feels that pushing with 5Q Sound tends to go long, out of the table. Even though it was only for 3 hours, I think that this might be right. Probably it is due to a harder top sheet: 5Q Sound has been reviewed to be more durable.

Or maybe 5Q sound needs some breaking in, just like some reviews said at tabletennis11.com.

Do you have the same impression? 

-------------
Yasaka Galaxya

Butterfly Amultart SI

Date Posted: 09/28/2014 at 9:27am
give it a day or 2 to break in. the powerseries update on the 5Q and 5Q sound are much better, the 5Q sound regular is too slow for my taste. the 5Q sound power series update is a bit faster and not too mushy

-------------

Posted By: W0LovePP
Date Posted: 10/18/2014 at 7:36pm
I just realized today that the top sheet of 5Q Sound may be a similar top sheet from Chinese rubber...

-------------
Yasaka Galaxya

Butterfly Amultart SI

Date Posted: 10/18/2014 at 9:36pm
similar in style of playing not on the type of topsheet

-------------

Posted By: zheyi
Date Posted: 10/20/2014 at 5:20am
Originally posted by W0LovePP W0LovePP wrote:

I just realized today that the top sheet of 5Q Sound may be a similar top sheet from Chinese rubber...

how is it so? Its not tacky at all. maybe more grippy. I do feel genius sound is spinnier, softer but a bit slower.

Posted By: hhca
Date Posted: 10/20/2014 at 2:30pm

5Q sound is too soft. No power, no speed.

Date Posted: 10/20/2014 at 7:40pm
the newer 5Q sound power series is much better

-------------

Posted By: vivan4tt
Date Posted: 11/17/2014 at 9:22am
Can someone compare Genius optuimum sound and 1q sound ? 

-------------
Mizutani sZLC / T05fx / T05fx

Posted By: neutronbomb
Date Posted: 03/02/2015 at 7:29am
I'm really enjoying the 5q sound. I think it does have the feel of tenergy 05 fx but with more reliability. I agree the loops close to the table tend to go long, but if I close my racket and swing a little harder it tends to fix that. Plus, the reward is much greater for the shot in my opinion. Sometimes tenergy seems to feel better than it performs especially in regards to counter hitting or reaction blocks. I rarely ever put serve return off the table with 5q sound. 

-------------
USATT Rating 2059

FH Tibhar 5Q+

BH Giant Dragon Long

Hallmark Aurora

Posted By: Vlad0
Date Posted: 03/03/2015 at 2:43am
I didn't like the new 5qsound at all for the price. It's like a cheap chinese rubber like others noticed .

Posted By: neutronbomb
Date Posted: 03/03/2015 at 7:27am
Yes, I will admit I have never paid the full sticker. If mine is worn out, I use something else until someone is selling theirs on mytt. Wink

-------------
USATT Rating 2059

FH Tibhar 5Q+

BH Giant Dragon Long

Hallmark Aurora

Posted By: zheyi
Date Posted: 03/04/2015 at 10:47pm
I really like the 5Qsound ps for its durability and endured my occasional bang of table. My tfx rubbers already chipped and unplayable.

Date Posted: 09/01/2015 at 11:17am
Is there anyone who tried both 1Q Sound and FX-P?

-------------

Date Posted: 09/02/2015 at 7:10am
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

Is there anyone who tried both 1Q Sound and FX-P?

Me.

Date Posted: 09/02/2015 at 7:22am
What was your experience with both of them regarding softness and catapult?

-------------

Date Posted: 09/02/2015 at 8:15am
1QS has harder sponge but softer topsheet than FX-P. About catapult, I'd say FX-P is bouncier and the catapult kicks in earlier. 1QS has more top end catapult and is faster overall, and lower throw (more powerful I suppose).

This was back in the cell days. I found 1QS a little fast back then but could be just right with plastic.

Date Posted: 09/02/2015 at 11:23am
I thought 1Q Sound is named so because it sounds underrated. It seems like I found my new FH rubber nevertheless. Thanks for your response.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/02/2015 at 12:27pm
1QS is a great rubber for sure. The name is a bit misleading really - it's medium, unlike 5QS which is really soft. I keep thinking about giving it another shot but I'm really quite happy with cheapy Chinese stuff on the BH at the moment.

Posted By: mog1111
Date Posted: 09/25/2016 at 5:54pm
If i like t05fx but dont like fx-p on forehand.  Do you think I will like 5qs.  i like the sound of it being similar to 05fx but more linear and reliable.

Posted By: Knuckle Ball
Date Posted: 09/26/2016 at 12:04am
I also like T05 on FH and absolutely hate FX-P. I have also used 5QS and love the rubber on both FH and BH. 

-------------
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net