Print Page | Close Window

Would this theory work in TT?

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Coaching & Tips
Forum Name: Coaching & Tips
Forum Description: Learn more about TT from the experts. Feel free to share your knowledge & experience.
Moderator: yogi_bear
Assistant Moderators: APW46, smackman
URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63351
Printed Date: 04/27/2024 at 10:18pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Would this theory work in TT?
Posted By: jrscatman
Subject: Would this theory work in TT?
Date Posted: 10/25/2013 at 12:18am
Came across this while learning some Badminton? Would this theory work in TT to generate more power in shots?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOuW82emc0U" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOuW82emc0U

-------------
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX

Replies:
Posted By: tt4me
Date Posted: 10/25/2013 at 12:31am
The stopping has nothing to do with it.   It is all due to paddle or racket speed at impact.
In TT you twist your body using your legs and waist, this adds to the arm speed and finally the paddle speed.

-------------
Samsonov Alpha+H3 Neo+802 1.5mm, the Ball Whacker is revived!<br />Samsonov Alpha+H3 Neo+802-40 1.8mm my back up<br />BCX5+H3+802-1 1.8mm New but promising.<br />

Date Posted: 10/25/2013 at 12:15pm
After some thought, I am thinking what he's saying has merit. Also, the fact the man was world champion doubles player in 1980.

I think it's the same principle behind archery - where they draw the bow and hold it - they don't release it right away - don't know the physics - but time to do some research I guess. 

I will try it on TT tonight see if I can apply it.

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Posted By: AcudaDave
Date Posted: 10/25/2013 at 12:54pm
This is similar to what I tell my son and some of my students when they are looping. It's more powerful if you stop for just a moment on the backswing and then snap through the loop rather than just 1 continuous motion where they never stop.

-------------
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH

Posted By: BMonkey
Date Posted: 10/25/2013 at 12:58pm
Well, we already do this in TT. As best we can anyways since it is a faster sport (how often do you have to sit there and stare at the ball, then restart and hit it?). This can best be seen by the general migration of players to more compact strokes that have more "snap" to them.

Old way:

New way:

Date Posted: 10/25/2013 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

This can best be seen by the general migration of players to more compact strokes that have more "snap" to them.
I would buy the more "snap" but not the pause. More "snap" equates to more speed.  More pause doesn't.

-------------
Samsonov Alpha+H3 Neo+802 1.5mm, the Ball Whacker is revived!<br />Samsonov Alpha+H3 Neo+802-40 1.8mm my back up<br />BCX5+H3+802-1 1.8mm New but promising.<br />

Posted By: BMonkey
Date Posted: 10/25/2013 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by tt4me tt4me wrote:

Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

This can best be seen by the general migration of players to more compact strokes that have more "snap" to them.
I would buy the more "snap" but not the pause. More "snap" equates to more speed.  More pause doesn't.

Exactly. That's why I said "it is a faster sport (how often do you have to sit there and stare at the ball, then restart and hit it?)"

Posted By: V-Griper
Date Posted: 10/25/2013 at 2:06pm
Well the freeze is just a way to orient to the ball, the actual power is generated by small scale whip like kinetic chain. 

Here are some examples from other sports.

Baseball swing

Golf swing

The concept of lag is an important one imo. It is really hard to see in tt but the easiest place to see it is in the arms and wrist. However their is also a slight lag in the torso. 

Some TT examples. 

Timo forehand- his lag/whip is very noticeable at the elbow as it rotates in first then the forearm then the whip crack at the wrist.

Wang Li Qin forehand- Look to the arm again however their is much less bend at the elbow. The lack of bend or the so called straight arm loop has been a source of debate but I do not see the CHN going to a more bent arm. YA being the exception but not the rule. See FZD.

Ma Lin forehand- Same 

Ma Long FH/BH- look to the wrist on the backhand but you also need to look at his legl/torso. You can see him make a motion like his is starting to sit down in a chair then suddenly decides to stand up again. That motion slightly precedes the the upper torso, arm and wrist.

Zhang Jike backhand- You can look to his upper back. Does a sort of body roll with his upper back to help produce a whip like motion then transmits that to his arm, wrist, blade.

Just for fun here is a dance clip- She is not trying to transmit any force to an object so it's not quite the same, just trying to illustrate propagating a wave through the body.

-------------
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH

Date Posted: 10/25/2013 at 2:49pm
V-Griper - thanks for all the videos - haven't had a chance to go through them all yet - but the baseball and golf ones were very interesting. 

Another thing mentioned by the badminton coach (Dr. Lee Jae Bok) was hitting and pulling back - he said this gives more power than moving through the shuttle - I'll try and find the video. I thought this was also interesting and counter intuitive.

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 10/25/2013 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Another thing mentioned by the badminton coach (Dr. Lee Jae Bok) was hitting and pulling back - he said this gives more power than moving through the shuttle 
The pulling back after impact doesn't help with the  speed either.

-------------

Posted By: ZApenholder
Date Posted: 10/25/2013 at 5:58pm
The stop in badminton and "stop" in table tennis is different

The stop in TT is more like stepping towards the ball and putting weight on your right knee (for right handers), and getting the back swing ready to accerate forward with waist rotation.

I won't call that stop, I will call that step.

Also remember, badminton is a up right motion and coming down towards the ball, very differnt to TT, unless you want to compare going for incoming lobs.

Posted By: yogi_bear
Date Posted: 10/25/2013 at 9:09pm
tony, i think they do that on smashes against balls that were lobbed and bounced high. i dont think it is applicable in on the rise loops or loop drives. 

-------------
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Posted By: ZApenholder
Date Posted: 10/26/2013 at 8:50am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

tony, i think they do that on smashes against balls that were lobbed and bounced high. i dont think it is applicable in on the rise loops or loop drives. 

yeah, and thinking about it, in TT there is more shoulder and back behind the shot for lobs than oppose to just arm and wrist motion.

Date Posted: 10/27/2013 at 3:23am
Thanks everyone for your thoughts, much appreciated. I am still trying to conduct some tests to see if I can figure it out for myself - sadly, my technique in TT & Badminton needs quite a bit of improvement.

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 10/29/2013 at 12:33am
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

This is similar to what I tell my son and some of my students when they are looping. It's more powerful if you stop for just a moment on the backswing and then snap through the loop rather than just 1 continuous motion where they never stop.
Tried this and it adds power. Makes a big difference.

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Posted By: josepher
Date Posted: 11/03/2013 at 7:40pm
The "theory" of the post is correct, and, as so, the physical basis behind it is extensible to any accelerated motion in any sport or physical activity. Acceleration is a change in velocity or direction of a moving or stationary body, and, as such, requires a force.

There must be an output of energy (force) to change the velocity or direction. Whatever activity we're speaking of, badminton, table tennis, baseball, chopping wood, pushing a car, there is an action we variously refer to as windup, coil, backswing, etc., the purpose of which is to prepare our bodies to function in the most efficient way to achieve the acceleration. 

Starting a backswing requires energy, but, and this is the key point, so does stopping it! If one attempts to reverse a backswing too fast (continuously, without any sense that it has come to a stop - however short) the energy on the way forward will be lessened because too much energy will be expended in the reversal. 

An example: You're at a carnival trying to ring the bell. Imagine swinging that very heavy sledgehammer over your head and bringing it down without the slightest delay. That's all it takes to sense the extra energy required.

It should be said that all good athletes instinctively know how to use their bodies in the more efficient manner (the stop before the reversal...however short!), because the differences are easily felt. This is merely the physical explanation for it, for those interested.

Date Posted: 11/03/2013 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by josepher josepher wrote:

The "theory" of the post is correct,

Wrong.

Acceleration is a change in velocity or direction of a moving or stationary body, and, as such, requires a force. There must be an output of energy (force) to change the velocity or direction.
Whatever activity we're speaking of, badminton, table tennis, baseball, chopping wood, pushing a car, there is an action we variously refer to as windup, coil, backswing, etc., the purpose of which is to prepare our bodies to function in the most efficient way to achieve the acceleration. 

Starting a backswing requires energy, but, and this is the key point, so does stopping it!

Right

If one attempts to reverse a backswing too fast (continuously, without any sense that it has come to a stop - however short) the energy on the way forward will be lessened because too much energy will be expended in the reversal.

What?  You are talking as if one stroke is going to max our our energy.  Where is your proof?

Quote An example: You're at a carnival trying to ring the bell. Imagine swinging that very heavy sledgehammer over your head and bringing it down without the slightest delay. That's all it takes to sense the extra energy required.

Again you assume we are energy limited.

Quote It should be said that all good athletes instinctively know how to use their bodies in the more efficient manner (the stop before the reversal...however short!), because the differences are easily felt. This is merely the physical explanation for it, for those interested.

You assume there is time to stop.   Look at the recent Schlager video where shows a kid smooth motion without stopping.

It is obvious you don't know the difference between energy and power.
The old significant thing to having more speed after impact is the racquet or paddle speed at impact if mass and incoming speed is constant.

[/QUOTE]

-------------

Date Posted: 11/04/2013 at 1:29am
Let's get a technical detail out of the way. There is no possibility of continuous motion as backswing changes to forward swing. At the changeover point the velocity of the object being moved is zero...stopped. Small point.

What we're talking about is the degree to which energy is wasted in overcoming too abrupt a changeover. Energy that could be going into the forward motion has been used to halt the backward motion. 

Example: A baseball infielder or a quarterback making a hurried toss can still snap the ball off pretty good, but not as fast as when the time pressure is off. 

Example: A hurried table tennis stroke can produce plenty of speed, but not as much as when the time pressure is off. 

Now, understand, I'm talking about the same length backswings in these examples. When the time pressure is off, the transition (changing the direction from back to forth) is more drawn out and capable of producing more forward power (or energy...same thing).

If you are running a race in this direction <, will you be able to take off faster from a still start, or when you are going this way > and have to reverse yourself in this direction < with what seems like a continuous motion?

Last example: You're tossing a very heavy ball, say as heavy as a shot put. Would you go back and forth with your arm in what seems like a continuous motion, or gather yourself at the transition? 

Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 11/04/2013 at 2:18am
Maybe the video in the op is just a teaching trick for people to visualize and separate the components of the stroke; then of course when the student understands and applies the trick (s)he will take advantage of the momentum of the back swing to partially feed the swing itself, like in a tennis serve.

A good analogy is the follow through after a fh (or a bh ) in tt: we can imagine a stiff person who at the end of the swing has the paddle going down to speed 0; it has then to come back from speed 0 to ready position before another back swing; then at the end of the back swing the paddle goes down to speed 0 again; and here starts the swing from speed 0...what a waste of energy! If the follow through + recovery follows an elliptical pattern then some energy from the swing is recycled to bring the paddle back and the energy invested to do so is itself partially recycled into doing the next back swing at the end of which the paddle never stops moving before the swing: the body does it all and makes sure the arm/paddle never lose its momentum.

We can imagine a coach separate all those moves and make the student understand each of them separately before having him/her connect all of them into a fluid routine. I think that's what the video in the op does.

Posted By: JacekGM
Date Posted: 11/04/2013 at 11:42am
This is a good thread, thanks jrscatman... although there is some danger of running into the "dwelltime" syndrome, if you know what I mean... 

fatt, I wouldn't say the intention in the video clip was to show phases of the stroke; the guy emphasized that the interruption is necessary for added power... in badminton. He no doubt knows what he is talking about...

I think the original clip is very interesting, VGriper has given some excellent examples/analysis as far as applicability of the "stop and then hit" concept to TT, thanks. 

josepher (Wink) I feel  this time you are correct, good thoughts, thanks for sharing...

Finally, IMHO it seems that there are rare cases when this concept of stopped stroke might increase the effectiveness of the shot. However, our sport is so different than badminton, the shuttle-racket interaction is very different than ball-racket interaction... good to keep the concept in mind, though.

-------------
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.

Date Posted: 11/04/2013 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

fatt, I wouldn't say the intention in the video clip was to show phases of the stroke; the guy emphasized that the interruption is necessary for added power... in badminton. He no doubt knows what he is talking about...
No he doesn't.  If he waited an extra 10 milliseconds would he generate more power?  What about 1 millisecond or 20 milliseconds?  The answer is he would NEED to generate more power because he would need to accelerate the racquet to the same speed in less time to get the same shuttle speed after impact. The energy required would be about the same if the same racquet speed is obtained over different periods of time.  That does not mean the speed after impact is higher.

Another point is the just because one can generate power doesn't mean it is used efficiently.

As I said above I personally would rather listen to Schlager about smooth motion as seen in a recent video.  This makes sense.

Now the question is what is meant by power? Most on this forum use the term incorrectly but if it is meant to mean a faster speed after impact then the badminton expert is flat out wrong. The only thing that matters is the racquets and paddle speed at impact.  One can start the swing earlier and accelerate slower but as long as the same racquet speed is obtained the results will be the same. The power required is less but then it is required for a longer time so the energy required will be about the same.

In industry smooth motion is very important because jerky motion causes wear and tear.  Jerky motion also requires a higher peak energy requirement that sometimes increases the cost of machinery.   If the same result can be achieved with smoother motion then that is the efficient and cost effective way to go.

So there is this badminton 'expert' and Schlager that are saying different things.   Choose.  I choose Schlager.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/04/2013 at 3:55pm
Welcome JacekGM,

I find various sports offer insights into other sports - badminton has been giving me a lot insights into wrist action. Strangely most of my self taught concepts appear to be incorrect. I always thought smooth consistent motion is the correctway - but stopping the motion does offer added power in TT at my level anyways.

There have been some really good arguments put forth by others in this thread - just need time to digest it and experiment. I guess we will all end up using what works for us. 

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 11/05/2013 at 12:04am

I always thought smooth consistent motion is the correctway.

It is.  In industry one always tries to make motion as smooth as possible.   It reduces wear and tear on machinery.   It will reduce wear and tear on you too.  Smooth motion requires less energy and that is important in reducing operating costs.   The big advantage of smooth moves is that is requires a significantly lower peak power which means machines can be designed with lower cost components.

- but stopping the motion does offer added power in TT at my level anyways.

No.  You have no justification or proof for this statement.   I can provide plenty of proof that smooth motion is more efficient but I doubt few could understand the math.  Baal may be able too.  Larry Bavley, Heavyspin, can.

Isn't the recent video of Schlager showing the kid how to move smoothly good enough?

-------------

Date Posted: 11/05/2013 at 12:46am

I always thought smooth consistent motion is the correctway.

It is.  In industry one always tries to make motion as smooth as possible.   It reduces wear and tear on machinery.   It will reduce wear and tear on you too.  Smooth motion requires less energy and that is important in reducing operating costs.   The big advantage of smooth moves is that is requires a significantly lower peak power which means machines can be designed with lower cost components.

- but stopping the motion does offer added power in TT at my level anyways.

No.  You have no justification or proof for this statement.   I can provide plenty of proof that smooth motion is more efficient but I doubt few could understand the math.  Baal may be able too.  Larry Bavley, Heavyspin, can.

Isn't the recent video of Schlager showing the kid how to move smoothly good enough?
I am interested in learning more about this subject - would you be able to provide a link to the proof?

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 11/05/2013 at 1:47am

I am interested in learning more about this subject - would you be able to provide a link to the proof?

The question I have is how good is your knowledge of physics and math?  I find it hard to make a case when no one understands physics or the math required to understand physics.  Most don't know the definition of power and neither does that badminton player.

It maybe more efficient to try to get somebody like Larry Bavly or perhaps Ben Bednarz to verify my math.  Larry Bavly or Heavyspin has more TT creds than I do and I think he knows a lot about math because he likes a lot of advanced math topics on YouTube. Ben has told me he has a PhD in physics but if so he has been very silent when it comes to physics topics on this forum.

However, this I can assure you right off the top of my head because I have come across these problems so many times.

The only thing that matters to the speed after impact is  the speed of impact not the time it takes to accelerate to the speed.  That badminton 'expert' could make his stroke over 50ms or 100ms and the results would still be the same if the speed at impact is the same.   This means the pause makes no difference.

If you accelerate something from the same starting speed to the same ending speed it will take the same amount of energy.   However,  if you accelerate in a short time it will take more power.  I consider this to be a "well duh" sort of information.   Any racer can tell you that.

When making a point to point move the power goes up with the inverse of the time cubed and that is if everything else is perfect.  This means if you move from point A to point B in 0.5 seconds it will take 8 times the power it takes to move from point A to point B in 1 second.  This is because it take energy or power to stop a mass that is moving.  This point was correctly made early on but the magnitude of the power requirements was not.  The power requirements stump many.  Often I/we get a system to work and the first thing the customer wants is to go 5% or 10% faster not realizing that going 5% faster requires 1.05^3 times more or almost 16% more power.

What I don't believe, actually know for a fact,  is that pausing for 10 milliseconds or 20 milliseconds is going to make any difference in ones ability to accelerate the paddle over one stroke when a paddle weighs so little.   I do agree it will make a difference over time because there will be more stress on the muscles and more energy will be expended.

My broken wrist is beginning to hurt.

-------------

Posted By: APW46
Date Posted: 11/05/2013 at 5:01am
It is correct for TT when powering into a dead/passive/slow ball, If a player is in position and prepared to execute the stroke, I teach to hold the trigger, it aids timing and enables a player who is advanced enough to delay and change their intended direction, Its always preferable if time allows, but the reason is not necessarily for increased power (although sweeter timing helps)
In badminton the shuttle decreases in momentum rapidly allowing the opportunity more frequently, but also plays a big part in the deceit of depth ( drop shot or power) 
In TT its time dependant, if you have no time, you can't do it, and if the incoming ball has pace and spin, you can 'borrow the power' anyway, modern attacking glue effect rubbers are designed for this, so power coming in means less power needed going out, ie same pace and spin but with a slower arm, leading to greater consistency and accuracy.

-------------
The Older I get, The better I was.

Posted By: TTFrenzy
Date Posted: 11/05/2013 at 8:01am
The "stopping" or "step back" or whatever you wanna call it is nothing more than, storing energy and then releasing it by snaping your whole weight like a whiplash transfering weight from your back leg to your front leg and guiding this "stored" energy using your legs waist forearm and wrist. 

The bigger the backswing the more energy stored the more energy released. Any mistake in timing causes unsychronized transfer of energy thus a crappy stroke

Case closed ggthanxbye :)

-------------
http://www.tabletennismaster.com/profiles/blog/list?user=28q3ehyh2hm9o" rel="nofollow - my TT blog!

Join & follow my TT blog ! Mental and Physi

Date Posted: 11/05/2013 at 8:13am
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

It is correct for TT when powering into a dead/passive/slow ball, If a player is in position and prepared to execute the stroke, I teach to hold the trigger, it aids timing and enables a player who is advanced enough to delay and change their intended direction, Its always preferable if time allows, but the reason is not necessarily for increased power (although sweeter timing helps)
In badminton the shuttle decreases in momentum rapidly allowing the opportunity more frequently, but also plays a big part in the deceit of depth ( drop shot or power) 
In TT its time dependant, if you have no time, you can't do it, and if the incoming ball has pace and spin, you can 'borrow the power' anyway, modern attacking glue effect rubbers are designed for this, so power coming in means less power needed going out, ie same pace and spin but with a slower arm, leading to greater consistency and accuracy.

The most accurate post I have read in here, most of the posters have a misconception of how physics and energy works.

Of course if the ball comes really fast and spinny and you are close to the table its pointless to stop and make a backswing, better borrow the incoming energy and counterhit/block/spin it back.

But adding energy to a dead ball either energy in form of spin or speed or both, needs a "steping back backswing"

When learning a stroke, stoping and backswinging is essential for correct timing as you said and to somehow help your brain to "automate" the stroke.

-------------
http://www.tabletennismaster.com/profiles/blog/list?user=28q3ehyh2hm9o" rel="nofollow - my TT blog!

Posted By: Krantz
Date Posted: 11/05/2013 at 8:23am
It reminds me the situation when you want to have a quick start in your car - first you press the gas pedal to increase engine's RPM and then you suddenly release the clutch (if this applies to manual transmission only, then sorry Americans :P). You probably waste a lot of gasoline(and power) during this preparation phase , but overall it does its job. I can imagine  that with a bit of practice you can also store this energy in your muscles for the sudden release (you need it at the exact time when the ball has reached your striking zone) , but personally I don't see much use for this concept in TT, because I'm always restraining myself anyway. Still, an interesting idea. 

Date Posted: 11/05/2013 at 10:46am
Originally posted by TTFrenzy TTFrenzy wrote:

The most accurate post I have read in here, most of the posters have a misconception of how physics and energy works.

Of course if the ball comes really fast and spinny and you are close to the table its pointless to stop and make a backswing, better borrow the incoming energy and counterhit/block/spin it back.

But adding energy to a dead ball either energy in form of spin or speed or both, needs a "steping back backswing"

When learning a stroke, stoping and backswinging is essential for correct timing as you said and to somehow help your brain to "automate" the stroke.

It is pretty advanced to hold the backswing whilst moving into position/on to the incoming ball, intermediate players tend to commit to the contact fully and start their swing too early when re-looping away from the table, I always suggest keeping the stroke 'tidy'  and using a 'locked on' guide to timing the stroke, ie start the stroke smoothly and snap late, too many players go for full bat speed from the start of their stroke. Its like trying to swat a fly.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/05/2013 at 12:12pm

The question I have is how good is your knowledge of physics and math?  I find it hard to make a case when no one understands physics or the math required to understand physics.  Most don't know the definition of power and neither does that badminton player.

It maybe more efficient to try to get somebody like Larry Bavly or perhaps Ben Bednarz to verify my math.  Larry Bavly or Heavyspin has more TT creds than I do and I think he knows a lot about math because he likes a lot of advanced math topics on YouTube. Ben has told me he has a PhD in physics but if so he has been very silent when it comes to physics topics on this forum.

However, this I can assure you right off the top of my head because I have come across these problems so many times.

The only thing that matters to the speed after impact is  the speed of impact not the time it takes to accelerate to the speed.  That badminton 'expert' could make his stroke over 50ms or 100ms and the results would still be the same if the speed at impact is the same.   This means the pause makes no difference.

If you accelerate something from the same starting speed to the same ending speed it will take the same amount of energy.   However,  if you accelerate in a short time it will take more power.  I consider this to be a "well duh" sort of information.   Any racer can tell you that.

When making a point to point move the power goes up with the inverse of the time cubed and that is if everything else is perfect.  This means if you move from point A to point B in 0.5 seconds it will take 8 times the power it takes to move from point A to point B in 1 second.  This is because it take energy or power to stop a mass that is moving.  This point was correctly made early on but the magnitude of the power requirements was not.  The power requirements stump many.  Often I/we get a system to work and the first thing the customer wants is to go 5% or 10% faster not realizing that going 5% faster requires 1.05^3 times more or almost 16% more power.

What I don't believe, actually know for a fact,  is that pausing for 10 milliseconds or 20 milliseconds is going to make any difference in ones ability to accelerate the paddle over one stroke when a paddle weighs so little.   I do agree it will make a difference over time because there will be more stress on the muscles and more energy will be expended.

My broken wrist is beginning to hurt.
tt4me - thanks for the explanation - but it's much like badminton for me ..... went over my head!
Can I ask this - next time you play - try delaying or holding your stroke and see if you notice a difference. As I mentioned earlier - it made big difference in my stroke. 

I think the explanation above from TTFrenzy makes sense to me as to what might be happening. 

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 11/05/2013 at 12:14pm

The "stopping" or "step back" or whatever you wanna call it is nothing more than, storing energy and then releasing it by snaping your whole weight like a whiplash transfering weight from your back leg to your front leg and guiding this "stored" energy using your legs waist forearm and wrist. 

The bigger the backswing the more energy stored the more energy released. Any mistake in timing causes unsychronized transfer of energy thus a crappy stroke

Case closed ggthanxbye :)
Thanks TTFrenzy - this makes very good sense to me. 

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 11/05/2013 at 1:51pm
You guys are getting side tracked.

tt4me - thanks for the explanation - but it's much like badminton for me ..... went over my head!
Can I ask this - next time you play - try delaying or holding your stroke and see if you notice a difference. As I mentioned earlier - it made big difference in my stroke. 

I think the explanation above from TTFrenzy makes sense to me as to what might be happening. 
There are times when waiting for the ball is the right thing to do but that is not the point.  The point is that pausing does not add power to the stroke.  You generate power when you make the stroke. Power is required to accelerate a mass which is you and the paddle.

BTW,  I am always thinking wait for it when looping chopped balls, but most of the time is there no time to pause.

Edit, I modified a work sheet that I had that moves an object between two points.   I modified it to plot the power as a function of time and then integrated the power to get the total energy for the move.  I plotted 3 examples,  moving 1 kg 1 meter in 1 second,  moving 1 kg 1 meter in 0.5 seconds and another example moving in 2 seconds.   One can the the peak power required changes with the inverse of the time cubed.  All units are common metric ones. Power is in watts, energy in jules, distance in meters etc.
It doesn't prove anything except that moving from point to point can require a lot of power if done in a short period of time.   Engineering students might want to study it.
The key part is that the power function pwr(t) computes the power by multiplying the mass*acceleration(t)*velocity(t).  During a pause the acceleration and velocity is 0 so there is no power generated during the pause if there is one.   
http://deltamotion.com/peter/Mathcad/Mathcad%20-%20Point2PointPower.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://deltamotion.com/peter/Mathcad/Mathcad%20-%20Point2PointPower.pdf

Now think of this.  If I had to move 1 kg back and forth one meter in 2 seconds would it be more energy efficient to move one meter in 1/2 second and stop for a second the move the back in 1/2 second or would be more efficient to move 1 meter in one second and move back one meter in 1 second with no pause between the moves?

-------------

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 12:29am
Can a pause in the transition from backswing to forwardswing allow you to generate more power? This is the topic and it is a very interesting question. Some of the input does not directly address this. For instance, citing how sometimes circumstances do not permit a pause. We have to assume there is time for a pause because that is the proposition under discussion.

Is it a choice between Lee Jae Bok and Schlager? I think not because both of these superior athletes do the same thing. Schlager's showing the youngster how to blend one move into the other says nothing about the topic under discussion, and certainly does not contradict it. 

Neither does the lightness of the TT bat. We can forget about the bat. The question is how fast can you move yourself. And it's more than the weight of your arm. You cannot wind up and return with full power without some sense that your coil has reached a "quiet" spot at transition. This quietness enables you to use the coil that you feel in your body in the manner in which you wish to use it. Without this quietness, the forwardswing comes as a "rebound" resulting in a loss of control and power.

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 8:00am

Can a pause in the transition from backswing to forwardswing allow you to generate more power? This is the topic and it is a very interesting question. Some of the input does not directly address this. For instance, citing how sometimes circumstances do not permit a pause. We have to assume there is time for a pause because that is the proposition under discussion.

Assuming there is time, a pause aids timing, good timing is needed to produce efficient power and consistency. If you have more time in the ready position as a ball comes towards you, everything is better, but holding the ready position, is advanced play, a player cannot get himself in to this situation regularly enough unless his footwork and mental game are good enough to back it, everything is connected to something else in TT, its never as simple as black and white.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 10:36am

Assuming there is time, a pause aids timing, good timing is needed to produce efficient power and consistency. If you have more time in the ready position as a ball comes towards you, everything is better, but holding the ready position, is advanced play, a player cannot get himself in to this situation regularly enough unless his footwork and mental game are good enough to back it, everything is connected to something else in TT, its never as simple as black and white.
This isn't the point.  I agree one can hit a much better ball if the opponent gives you time to get a good look at it. However, the thread is about whether a pause helps generate power and it doesn't.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 11:44am

This isn't the point.  I agree one can hit a much better ball if the opponent gives you time to get a good look at it. However, the thread is about whether a pause helps generate power and it doesn't.
Ok, after reading all the responses in this thread so far - I've convinced myself - it does generate more force. I am not sure about power and how it relates to force - so I'll stick with the term force.

So in my testing - I was rallying like normal - forehand to forehand - I said let me stop the back swing and see what happens - result much harder shot.

Based on what jospher and TTFrenzy's responses from earlier - what is happening according my understanding - the stopping is creating potential energy - which then released in short amount of time - causing quick acceleration. Force is directly proportional to acceleration  - creating a higher force.

Without the pause the arm or the racquet will be in constant velocity (or very low acceleration) resulting in less force.

Let me know if this thinking is flawed. But my testing has convinced me there is more power to be had by pausing the backswing.

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 12:04pm
The pause doesn't generate more force either.  The force to accelerate the paddle is generated by you when you move the paddle, not when it is still.
Power=force*velocity
Since
force=mass*acceleration
then
Power=mass*acceleration*velocity.
If the is no velocity there is no power.
During the pause there is no acceleration so there is no force.
Would you guys trying studying a little instead of making crap up as you go along?
Your myths and ignorance are misleading others and certainly not advancing the sport.

-------------

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 12:07pm
The video doesn't ask you to pause the backswing - it asks you to stop, then do your stroke with a backswing when smashing.  He points out later in the video that the backswing should be done after stopping (good technique), and not omitted after stopping (Bad technique).

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 12:12pm
jrscatman imagine a pendulum; a long vertical wire hanged to the ceiling and a weight at the end that sways again and again; the pause here is when the weight arrives at its highest point; it does not mean everything came down to 0 and everything is started from scratch; there is stored energy that get released thanks to gravity in this case.
If you have the impression that you are taking a pause it is because you feel like your arm get down to speed 0 after your back swing and you start all over; truth is you arm had velocity in the back swing that partially feeds the swing itself especially since the body encourages it. The back swing is connected to the swing and the body makes sure of taking advantage of the energy stored into the back swing. When the timing is right, as the back swing ends, the hips and the upper body throw the shoulder forward so the arm makes an ellipse and is faster than it would be starting from scratch; even without that ellipse, the arm getting down and up in a V trajectory in the back swing will be like the pendulum: arriving at its maximum height before a pause and the start of the swing: even there the swing is taking advantage of some energy stored into the back swing; not as efficiently as it could but it does.
I think you see the "pause" as everything coming down to 0 and that's too academic imo; it was very useful to decompose the factors and understand what's going on though so thanks!

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 12:15pm

The pause doesn't generate more force either.  The force to accelerate the paddle is generated by you when you move the paddle, not when it is still.
Power=force*velocity
Since
force=mass*acceleration
then
Power=mass*acceleration*velocity.
If the is no velocity there is no power.
During the pause there is no acceleration so there is no force.
Would you guys trying studying a little instead of making crap up as you go along?
Your myths and ignorance are misleading others and certainly not advancing the sport.
The force I am talking about is at impact with the ball - not when the racquet is paused at the backswing - who cares what the force is back there - it's the force on impact that concerns me!

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 12:24pm

I completely agree with the physics, its impact speed and contact angle that matters, some people may be getting confused with different types of stroke generating more power, that has nothing to do with a delay in execution, more with using the dynamics of the stroke to produce whipped power by delaying the arm swing after the leg has pushed forward and the waist rotated, producing a ratchet swing. You can get the same power with a long smooth swing ( Jonyer anyone ?) though. If you want to make a good comparison, there are two sports that project a ball at tremendous speed by use of the arm, Baseball and cricket. A baseball pitcher uses a whipped ratchet motion, a cricket bowler a straight arm slinging action, but they both achieve a very fast point of delivery.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

jrscatman imagine a pendulum; a long vertical wire hanged to the ceiling and a weight at the end that sways again and again; the pause here is when the weight arrives at its highest point; it does not mean everything came down to 0 and everything is started from scratch; there is stored energy that get released thanks to gravity in this case.
If you have the impression that you are taking a pause it is because you feel like your arm get down to speed 0 after your back swing and you start all over; truth is you arm had velocity in the back swing that partially feeds the swing itself especially since the body encourages it. The back swing is connected to the swing and the body makes sure of taking advantage of the energy stored into the back swing. When the timing is right, as the back swing ends, the hips and the upper body throw the shoulder forward so the arm makes an ellipse and is faster than it would be starting from scratch; even without that ellipse, the arm getting down and up in a V trajectory in the back swing will be like the pendulum: arriving at its maximum height before a pause and the start of the swing: even there the swing is taking advantage of some energy stored into the back swing; not as efficiently as it could but it does.
I think you see the "pause" as everything coming down to 0 and that's too academic imo; it was very useful to decompose the factors and understand what's going on though so thanks!
fatt - thanks for the pendulum analogy....so are you saying pausing or stopping will give you more power or not?

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 12:30pm

[QUOTE=josepher]Can a pause in the transition from backswing to forwardswing allow you to generate more power? This is the topic and it is a very interesting question. Some of the input does not directly address this. For instance, citing how sometimes circumstances do not permit a pause. We have to assume there is time for a pause because that is the proposition under discussion.

I completely agree with the physics, its impact speed and contact angle that matters, some people may be getting confused with different types of stroke generating more power, that has nothing to do with a delay in execution, more with using the dynamics of the stroke to produce whipped power by delaying the arm swing after the leg has pushed forward and the waist rotated, producing a ratchet swing. You can get the same power with a long smooth swing ( Jonyer anyone ?) though. If you want to make a good comparison, there are two sports that project a ball at tremendous speed by use of the arm, Baseball and cricket. A baseball pitcher uses a whipped ratchet motion, a cricket bowler a straight arm slinging action, but they both achieve a very fast point of delivery.

Despite the differences in delivery action, the delivery speeds are similar for both sports with the fastest bowlers and pitchers propelling the ball in the region of 95–100 mph (150–160 km/h): the fastest recorded cricket delivery is 100.2 mph (161.26 km/h) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_cricket_and_baseball#cite_note-6" rel="nofollow - [6] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_cricket_and_baseball#cite_note-7" rel="nofollow - [7] with baseball's record quicker at 105 mph (169.0 km/h). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_cricket_and_baseball#cite_note-8" rel="nofollow - [8]  It is the case, however, that baseball pitches near or at 100 mph are considerably more common than bowled balls of comparable velocity in cricket. The bowler in cricket is much more restricted with respect to how much he can straighten his arm in delivering the ball, and this is one very significant reason why baseball pitchers can deliver the ball faster with more frequency.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 12:40pm

fatt - thanks for the pendulum analogy....so are you saying pausing or stopping will give you more power or not?
your question is imposing the pause as a conscious act to execute or not when we know it happens no matter our will; in my mind the pause you are talking about is just the point at which the paddle reaches minimum speed after the back swing and before the swing; it's got to happen; it's not whether we want it or not to happen; it just does.
The way I see it for now, right or wrong, maximum efficiency happens when that pause is minimal meaning that most of the energy stored into the back swing gets recycled into the swing thanks to the body throwing the shoulder at the right time and velocity of the arm staying as high as possible between the back swing and the swing.

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 12:53pm

The force I am talking about is at impact with the ball - not when the racquet is paused at the backswing - who cares what the force is back there - it's the force on impact that concerns me!
The pause has absolutely nothing to do with the force at impact.   The force during impact is the change in momentum of the ball divided by the contact time.  This was covered in the dwell time thread.   Momentum is mass*velocity.   Since the mass of the ball doesn't change only the impact speeds or velocities matter and this is what I have been saying all along.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 12:56pm

your question is imposing the pause as a conscious act to execute or not when we know it happens no matter our will; in my mind the pause you are talking about is just the point at which the paddle reaches minimum speed after the back swing and before the swing; it's got to happen; it's not whether we want it or not to happen; it just does.
The way I see it for now, right or wrong, maximum efficiency happens when that pause is minimal meaning that most of the energy stored into the back swing gets recycled into the swing thanks to the body throwing the shoulder at the right time and velocity of the arm staying as high as possible between the back swing and the swing.
Ok, I see where I'm confused - I use a looped backswing - I am guessing you have straight backswing - in that case there will be an automatic pause. In my case since I have small loop and the racquet is in continuous motion. So, I will have to consciously pause. I modified my backswing thinking it's better to keep the racquet in motion - maybe now I have to back to my original straight backswing.

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 1:03pm

Ok, I see where I'm confused - I use a looped backswing - I am guessing you have straight backswing - in that case there will be an automatic pause. In my case since I have small loop and the racquet is in continuous motion. So, I will have to consciously pause. I modified my backswing thinking it's better to keep the racquet in motion - maybe now I have to back to my original straight backswing.
I can tell we are slowly getting on the same page :)
When you talk about a "looped back swing" I see more potential to have some energy invested into the back swing getting reused in the swing (back swing + swing = elliptical to circle motion) so it should be better; a straight back swing means speed 0 for the paddle at the end of the back swing and that's bad; your way is better; but we know better: as usual the right answer lays somewhere in the middle Big smile. (I like to think about an elliptical motion; a flat ellipse but that's personal).

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 1:03pm
Jrscatman,

Be aware that while TT4me is always right, what is never clear is whether he has actually improved anyone's game with his "right" advice. So don't place as much importance on winning these trivial contests as improving your game. If it works for you, great, the physics be damned!

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 1:12pm

The pause has absolutely nothing to do with the force at impact.   The force during impact is the change in momentum of the ball divided by the contact time.  This was covered in the dwell time thread.   Momentum is mass*velocity.   Since the mass of the ball doesn't change only the impact speeds or velocities matter and this is what I have been saying all along.
Ok, momentum - is there such a thing as momentum transfer? so a change momentum of the ball is being caused by the momentum of the racquet? Since momentum is m * v and acceleration is change in velocity - wouldn't the velocity of the racquet be related to the acceleration? higher acceleration will give you higher velocity?

My point is the pause is giving you higher acceleration.

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Posted By: wturber
Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 1:12pm
The physics seems obvious to me.  The question to consider is whether there is something in the biomechanics of "stopping" that helps the player to generate a greater racket head speed.

Also, APW makes the good observation that racket speed isn't all that important for many balls that are played with modern rubbers.

So the physics question itself doesn't seem that important to me other than to point out where the answer will not be found.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Jrscatman,

Be aware that while TT4me is always right, what is never clear is whether he has actually improved anyone's game with his "right" advice. So don't place as much importance on winning these trivial contests as improving your game. If it works for you, great, the physics be damned!
LOL....Funny - I just was thinking that when I read you post.
Very true, it is working for me, I was hoping to understand the physics behind it to see why it was working. Thread helped me to clarify things in my mind - thanks to everyone. Hopefully, others might be able to benefit from it.

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 1:34pm

Jrscatman,

LOL....Funny - I just was thinking that when I read you post.
Very true, it is working for me, I was hoping to understand the physics behind it to see why it was working. Thread helped me to clarify things in my mind - thanks to everyone. Hopefully, others might be able to benefit from it.

Yes. Too much fixation on the notion of "stopping" and not enough analysis of the actual differences between the two strokes.  Good coaches probably know what to do.  They may not, however, know why it is important or understand well what is actually happening.

If you compare the two strokes, you can see that the "good" "stopped" stroke has a more extreme backswing that starts from a more forward position.  The "bad" stroke that does not "stop" starts from a less forward position and does not generate as deep of a backswing.

I think the more forward position allows the player to use the backswing to store some energy in the player's elastic muscles and tendons and the longer overall stroke gives the player more distance over which to apply force and hence generate greater racket head speed.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 1:37pm

Jrscatman,
Be aware that while TT4me is always right,
Good, I am glad we got that out of the way.
Do you think that pausing adds power to the swing?

what is never clear is whether he has actually improved anyone's game with his "right" advice.
I am just trying to keep people from fouling up their game with bad advice and spreading myths.
Why aren't you?

So don't place as much importance on winning these trivial contests as improving your game. If it works for you, great, the physics be damned!
Nothing can violate the laws of physics.   You should know that too.
I thought you are an engineering student.  If so you should know better.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 1:39pm
Ok let's take a slow look at an actual badminton smash in action. Let's look at Lin Dan. He is from some unknown country in central Asia and just an average playerLOL

I'm not seeing a stop or pause. A slow down for sure but not a pause. Ideally you don't want to stop intentionally. You want conserve as much momentum as you can. 

Here is an analogy that, hopefully, does not require the math to understand. All though if you wanted to do the math It's relatively easy figure it out.

Let's say you are traveling at 40 kph in your car, a red Honda civic, and you are approaching a stop light. At the stop light in the next lane is a blue Honda civic identical to yours. 100 meters beyond the stop light the two lanes merge into one lane.  As you approach the intersection you notice that the stop light for the cross traffic is turning yellow. The situation becomes instantly clear, in order to have a chance of reaching to the merge before the blue civic you are going to have to go through the intersection carrying as much speed as possible when the light turns green. You know that if you speed up or stay at your current speed you will go through the light when it is still red. Timing becomes critical. You go through the intersection at 20 kph just as the light turns green and both cars go for their respective max accelerations. The blue civic has to overcome all of it's resting inertia and then some to be able to get up enough speed to pass you and get to the merge first. So you easily beat the blue civic to the merge. But more importantly you have done it using much less energy than the blue civic. The slower the red civic is going when it goes through the green light the smaller the margin of victory at the merge and the more energy it takes to achieve that victory. 

So timing in the stroke is important because the maximum racket/paddle speed is achieved at a specific place and time. If you are a little late the racket/paddle speed has already started to slow down, if you are too early the racket paddle has not yet reached it's max speed. So my take is that if you actually have to stop and wait, with your entire body, you have done your take back too early. The reason why I qualified my statement with regard to stopping the entire body is that in reality parts of your body are moving at different rates, the motion has so called lag and is cyclic. That's what I was trying to point out in my first post in this thread. All of those videos show this action and I don't see any pauses or stops in those strokes. What I see is a slowdown for timing adjustment but no stopping.

To help get some insight into stroke mechanics let's start with this baseball mechanics vid. The mechanics of the upper arm/humerus apply to almost every activity involving a throw or a swing.

Now using that model you should be able to more easily perceive and understand the following players stroke mechanics.

Timo-

Maze- before this becomes a thing again ML is doing the same thing with a more extended arm. It is just more subtle. Wiggy is correct about that imo. 

Mizutani-

WLQ- Again don't get distracted by the so called "straight arm" same action just more difficult to see.

-------------
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

So timing in the stroke is important because the maximum racket/paddle speed is achieved at a specific place and time. If you are a little late the racket/paddle speed has already started to slow down, if you are too early the racket paddle has not yet reached it's max speed. So my take is that if you actually have to stop and wait, with your entire body, you have done your take back too early. The reason why I qualified my statement with regard to stopping the entire body is that in reality parts of your body are moving at different rates, the motion has so called lag and is cyclic. That's what I was trying to point out in my first post in this thread. All of those videos show this action and I don't see any pauses or stops in those strokes. What I see is a slowdown for timing adjustment but no stopping.

exactly as I see it.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 3:46pm

Jrscatman,
Be aware that while TT4me is always right,
Good, I am glad we got that out of the way.
Do you think that pausing adds power to the swing?

what is never clear is whether he has actually improved anyone's game with his "right" advice.
I am just trying to keep people from fouling up their game with bad advice and spreading myths.
Why aren't you?

So don't place as much importance on winning these trivial contests as improving your game. If it works for you, great, the physics be damned!
Nothing can violate the laws of physics.   You should know that too.
I thought you are an engineering student.  If so you should know better.

I never said anything could violate the laws of physics, but again, we are limited by our own perspective when we read the ideas of others.

The problem is that you aren't a good enough table tennis player.  If you were, then at least we would be confident that the table tennis was sound and the physics was hopefully the same.  Since you aren't, even if we are hopeful the physics is sound, it doesn't make us better players.  So if Coach Hodges gave me a good stroke with a bad physics explanation, he is far more helpful to me than you talking about good physics with what are dubious to incomplete understandings of TT technique.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 4:56pm
I continue to answer the question, "Would this theory work in TT?", in the affirmative. Further, it generalizes to physical actions in any sport.

First: Some of the comments so far are a little undisciplined in that they do not relate to the topic question. And some comments are offered with a decidedly superior tone to them (Like Rafa Nadal says, not nice!).

Lee Jae Bok's demonstration of the badminton smash employs a very effective teaching tactic. His movements are punctuated for emphasis, and, as such, contain some exaggeration. This is done to make the point all the stronger and clearer. Just because we see him continuing backwards after the "stop" does not ruin his demonstration. In an efficient athletic motion, there will be things that are stopped and there will be things that are still going backward when other things have begun to go forward.

Also, there is a long history of people who have misapplied physics in explaining the mechanical actions in a sport. Physics is a high god but some subtleties escape it. We shouldn't underestimate the importance of being good at feeling what we feel.

Every back and forth motion has a stop to it. We can just as well say "pause" because pause is contained in the set "stop". The elliptical motion is not an exception. It still contains a moment when the backward motion has stopped and the forward motion has begun, that is, it contains a "stop". What varies is the duration of this delay.

Now the power explanation: In order to make the maximum use of your coil you must decide when to reverse it. To the extent delay is too short, control and power will be lessened. To get a sense of this, pretend you're throwing a ball, or hitting a table tennis ball (you don't even need a ball or bat, just pretend) and you're going to change backswing to forwardswing as fast as you can.

You might recognize in doing this that the forward swing is rebounding at the transition. When it's rebounding it is not in your control and when it is not in your control you cannot shake out the maximum power.

Posted By: JacekGM
Date Posted: 11/06/2013 at 11:16pm
I, too, was a little hurt by some remarks that essentially are saying that we here are very limited in our understanding of basic physics.... 
But all that brings to mind a different twist on the OP question: what if yes, affirmative: momentary stopping before the forward motion helps to execute a better shot, but it really isn't physics but rather it is biology, or even chemistry (or really a complex combination of the three ?) 
I am serious here: we are giving the adiabatic system (an approximation of our body) some extra time to produce energy, and that can make a very decisive difference in the quality and effectiveness of the shot...

-------------
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.

Date Posted: 11/07/2013 at 11:03am
Ok let me clarify some things! Stopping in TT = gettin into backswing position PAUSING for a split of a second or more depending on the speed of the ball (if I am in perfect position then yes I hold still till the ball comes to my body sweet spot area and then release explosive FH or BH)

Lets talk about the FH topspin. If we have a slow or fast ball no matter what,stopping or pausing DOES NOT affect the power/energy transferred to the ball . 

What does affect transferred energy/power is that when we backswing, we STORE energy in our muscles (stay still 30 seconds in a backswing position of the FH and you will feel the tensed muscles involved) and then release it with the help of gravity
(weight transfer from back leg to front leg) and accelerating  our muscles  (without adding more tension just letting them explode from the backswing --> that is the most efficient & consistent technique for me used by players with relaxed and fluent strokes, Persson,Waldner, Ryu, Samsonov Kong Linghui Wang Hao Oh Sang Eun) and then letting loose to have the quickest return possible to our ready position

So the pause,stop or whatever you wanna call it, helps us with the timing of contact (1 off the bounce, 2 top of the bounce, 3 a falling ball).

p.s. I am talking about an incoming ball that we have enough time to react and take a quality backswing, if the ball is really fast and we dont have enough time to react a smaller motion is needed, but thats a whole different topic to discuss and more complex

-------------

Date Posted: 11/07/2013 at 11:16am

exactly as I see it.

if you watch carefully all of the videos, every single player has a very small even for a split of a second "stop" or pause to their backswing. No pause = no correct  timing, it helps the brain to synchronize better with the incoming ball

-------------

Date Posted: 11/07/2013 at 12:16pm
I agree but can't we say that if the footwork speed is optimal then the pause is unnecessary? 

The pause would be required only the footwork is too fast; v-griper's analogy with the red car approaching the red light is so appropriate.

It seems contradictory to talk about too fast footwork but in this case I can't help thinking a pause means the correction of something that was too fast beforehand, meaning a waste of energy of some sort; approaching a red light too fast means breaking when the light does not turn green fast enough (the ball did not come back yet...) when we get there --> waste of energy to get there; waste of energy to stop the momentum and wait...

If we accept the idea that everything is connected in the game then there is the right speed for the footwork with a back swing feeding the swing as the legs start the stroke again.

Ideally the speed of the paddle does not even slow down between the back swing and the swing and only reaches its optimum (maximum acceleration is not always what we want) acceleration right before contact.

I am firmly convinced that in any sport from beginner to highest level, at any age and fitness level, we achieve best results doing any given stroke by investing the minimum energy, allowing us to reach full potential when we go for it and add some.

Bounce with the ball; dance; get into the rhythm; play the opponent, not the ball...are expressions I enjoy to illustrate that idea of using the minimum resources to unload any stroke with a precise idea in mind.

Date Posted: 11/07/2013 at 12:30pm

I agree but can't we say that if the footwork speed is optimal then the pause is unnecessary? 

The pause would be required only the footwork is too fast; v-griper's analogy with the red car approaching the red light is so appropriate.

It seems contradictory to talk about too fast footwork but in this case I can't help thinking a pause means the correction of something that was too fast beforehand, meaning a waste of energy of some sort; approaching a red light too fast means breaking when the light does not turn green fast enough (the ball did not come back yet...) when we get there --> waste of energy to get there; waste of energy to stop the momentum and wait...

If we accept the idea that everything is connected in the game then there is the right speed for the footwork with a back swing feeding the swing as the legs start the stroke again.

Ideally the speed of the paddle does not even slow down between the back swing and the swing and only reaches its optimum (maximum acceleration is not always what we want) acceleration right before contact.

I am firmly convinced that in any sport from beginner to highest level, at any age and fitness level, we achieve best results doing any given stroke by investing the minimum energy, allowing us to reach full potential when we go for it and add some.

Bounce with the ball; dance; get into the rhythm; play the opponent, not the ball...are expressions I enjoy to illustrate that idea of using the minimum resources to unload any stroke with a precise idea in mind.

I dont know my friend, I haven reached that quality of footwork yet to have an established opinion. And I never will it takes years and years of multiball practice and tournaments to achieve perfect anticipation and timing

But watching xu xin who has the most fluent footwork I still see him make a small stop/backswing. He seems to be floating around the ground but if u watch carefully he pauses a bit

Iam a big fan of minum effort-maximum result theory (ur 2nd bold sentence). Bruce Lee was a true master of body physiology Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 11/07/2013 at 1:07pm

if you watch carefully all of the videos, every single player has a very small even for a split of a second "stop" or pause to their backswing. No pause = no correct  timing,
That is a big assertion.

it helps the brain to synchronize better with the incoming ball
People are very good at adapting almost instantly. Otherwise they would be quickly replaced by machines.
This is irrelevant to the OP's question about the question'does the pause generates more power'.

The problem is that you aren't a good enough table tennis player.
Good enough for what?   I don't even play badminton.  So What?!!!
You can ask Stephen Hawking if the pause generates more power and what do you think he would say?
The real problem is that you are a nub of life wannabe engineer otherwise you would agree that the pause doesn't generate more power. Do you even know what power is?  Most on this forum don't.  They equate power to speed.

Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

I, too, was a little hurt by some remarks that essentially are saying that we here are very limited in our understanding of basic physics....
I think it is sad.  Almost all of the forum is woefully ignorant in the field of physics or math.  That is a fact. That is OK because most of you don't use it every day or probably ever whereas I do.  What I object to are those like NextLevel and zeio that make claims they can't back up and then want throw insults around.  Their technique is to try to discredit the messenger when they can't discredit the message.

I continue to answer the question, "Would this theory work in TT?", in the affirmative. Further, it generalizes to physical actions in any sport.
Yes, having time to make a shot helps but the pause does not generate more power as asked in the original post.

If you think the pause generates more power then how much more power would be generated for a 1ms, 10ms, 100ms or even a 1000ms delay?  If you can't find a relationship then there is none.  I have asked this question a few times now.  There has been no reply.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/07/2013 at 2:08pm
no its not a big assertion (and I replied to your question about the pause, it is answered). Just watch the videos carefully. I did and I wont spent any more time arguing about facts that are quite obvious, u seem more like u post to argue than to contribute your opinion.

No hard feelings though, everyone has his own personal reasons that make him post in here. Some have clearly psychological factors distrubing their mind.Anyway cheersSleepy

P.S. TO JACEKGM : Μy remarks had no intention to insult or downgrade anyone, I read carefully all of the posts and the only one that was scientifically accurate 100% was APW46's Ι think. No intention to be ironic or arrogant towards other users

-------------

Date Posted: 11/07/2013 at 2:24pm

But watching xu xin who has the most fluent footwork I still see him make a small stop/backswing. He seems to be floating around the ground but if u watch carefully he pauses a bit

The only way there would be an actual stop is if the motion were perfectly linear i.e. straight back then straight forward. What I contend is happening at the transition between the back swing and the forward part of the stroke is a small circular or curved path that the blade travels along. I agree that there is a big slowdown relative to the speed of the take back and the forward stroke and that can make it seem as if the hand stops but I am reasonably sure that it is not. It's more of an illusion brought about by the relative speed difference. Even though the paddle and arm are relatively light, completely stopping and start a stroke would take some serious amounts of power relatively speaking. 

In addition if different parts of the body are moving at different rates during the transition how would you define what stops?

The place where things always slow down are at the transitions because their is a big change in direction. There are two main transitions, the end of the take back and the end of the follow through. 

More examples- Every transition has a point where it slows down allot but complete stop even for a micro second isn't happening imo. We are just going to have to agree to disagree.

This is a good example. look at the first couple of counter hits. Notice the oval path that the CH stroke travels along then sharpens up as the paddle approaches the transitions. That curved path is used to conserve momentum.

Date Posted: 11/07/2013 at 2:33pm
v griper : obviously when I say something pauses or stops it is related to my movement not the other parts of the body of Xu xi or wlq or or...

If I am moving and I watch a mountain then I could say the mountain is moving If I consider my velocity = 0.

Exact same thing here, I am holding still on the ground I consider my velocity =0 in relation to the speed of the ground (earths circular/rotational speed) and Xu Xin's speed related to the speed of the ground is lets say "10" and is also "10" in comparison to my speed which I considered to be zero.

So when I see Xu Xin move in comparison to my movement that is 0, it is clearly to me that he stops and backswings. Seriously, no mean to offend but it is more than clear that XX stops for a split of a second (cant measure how long exactly...), there is not even a valid arguement for me.

You are totally correct about the curved path of ML but again, exacty at the middle of the "eclipsed type"  of curve ML pauses his hand when he backswings. 

Besides if he doesnt pause tensing his forearm and shoulder muscles, the hand will drop down by gravity. Simple physics, the total energy of a system is always maintained to zero.

The system is mlongs muscles (or himself as a whole :P), the air, gravity and the thermal energy produced by friction and movement correct me if I forgot something, in my equation :)Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: 11/07/2013 at 2:45pm
and to be even more clarifying : u said that there is no stopping even for a split of a second.

U have two movements (back swing and forward swing) explain to me in physics how exactly

an object (hand or paddle or ball or all of them, its your choice) can travel this way <- then this way -> without stopping by external forces (ma longs muscles that tense when he backswings for example, or any other player) and then accelerate again in different directions. Pure momentum is simply not enough!

or without stopping because of collision (the famous "dwell time" between ball and paddle for example)

The only way this could happen is when we have, no air resistance no friction and no gravity., thus no internal energy loss in the system that "goes out" of the system in the form of thermal energy

-------------

Date Posted: 11/07/2013 at 3:11pm

U have two movements (back swing and forward swing) explain to me in physics how exactly
an object (hand or paddle or ball or all of them, its your choice) can travel this way <- then this way -> without stopping by external forces 
I am appalled at the question...a planet flying around its orbit in an elliptical way will not lose speed where the ellipse is flattest. 

In the graphic below let's forget about the lines and just focus on the point on the ellipse where they meet; obviously that point is travelling at the same speed all around the ellipse; it does not suffer a slow down in speed there due to some Gs making it suffocating and push on the brake pedal...now if that is the paddle you get the point.

I want to precise that I do not mean there is no pause in the stroke; I just want to ask: is the stroke optimum when that pause is minimum? is the best footwork the type that allows minimizing that pause? 
File:Ellipse Animation.gif

Date Posted: 11/07/2013 at 3:23pm
fatt absolutely correct in terms of scientific approach but the paddle ball air drag friction and ma longs muscles create a system which is similar to the ellipse (i wrote eclipse before didnt I? lol my bad), the whole system does not in anyway follows the laws of ellipse in the way you described it !

Am not a professional player to answer your question with 100% validity but yes, I suppose perfect footwork does not minimize the pause, but that you will always have optimum time to react to hit the ball no matter how fast it travels to you.

As for the other question about optimum stroke, yes if you rely on relaxed minimum effort strokes

The whole stopping backswing hitting forwardswing after contact is optimum in terms of maximum speed, thus returning the ball as fast as possible to pressure your opponent. Hope I helped :D

p.s. nice tricky remark there about the elliptical movement of the planets, I was focusing only on the paddle muscle and ball "System" I am not so expertised to know the laws of the planetary system, just know very well the basic laws of mechanics and physics :P, thank you for your approach

-------------

Date Posted: 11/07/2013 at 7:45pm
OK maybe my base physics is wrong but to my understanding we are talking about motion on an elliptical path. The reason that I am saying that there is no stopping is because of what I said in the previous post about the stroke not being in a absolutely straight line forward and back. The stroke and every part of it will always travel on some type of modified oval or elliptical pathway. 

I am saying that no matter how eccentric the ellipse there is always a curved path that exists at the two ends. And a real stroke in the real world is anything but perfectly straight back and forth. 

-------------
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH

Date Posted: 11/07/2013 at 8:12pm

And a real stroke in the real world is anything but perfectly straight back and forth. 
...and it should not be. 

we could say the fh smash of a high ball presents a motion the closest to a circle (parallel to the length of the table) and the best example to illustrate the additional speed we get with no pause after the back swing.

-------------
/forum/topic91512_page1.html#1124698" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Date Posted: 11/07/2013 at 11:45pm

Ok let's take a slow look at an actual badminton smash in action. Let's look at Lin Dan. He is from some unknown country in central Asia and just an average playerLOL
Yeah, forget about this no name guy! Lin Dan LOL...I give you Andy Roddick serve

Actually, Lin Dan - smashes so hard - imagine if he paused. As the coach said it's for additional power.
In the Roddick video - there is quite a slow down of the racquet before the massive acceleration.

In my mind it's this acceleration people are trying to generate by slowing down the racquet on the back swing - whether or not they come to a complete stop - I am convince it's important to slow the racquet on the back swing now.

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 1:34am
Time to address some comments. Can't manage the forum quote protocol so I'll do it another way. Earlier I said,

"If one attempts to reverse a backswing too fast (continuously, without any sense that it has come to a stop - however short) the energy on the way forward will be lessened because too much energy will be expended in the reversal."

tt4me responded,

What?  You are talking as if one stroke is going to max our our energy.  Where is your proof?

I also had said, 

"An example: You're at a carnival trying to ring the bell. Imagine swinging that very heavy sledgehammer over your head and bringing it down without the slightest delay. That's all it takes to sense the extra energy required."

To this tt4me said,

Again you assume we are energy limited.

My response: You're right to notice this. We are dealing with a finite amount of energy in the system. Say a baseball pitcher can throw his fastball 95 mph. He'll throw it at that speed every time (close enough). The reason is that that is all his body (system) is capable of producing. This is his maximum power pitch and he will hit 95 every time. That is, every time he is able to extract this maximum power from his windup and delivery.

For that to happen, the ball has to be quiet in the transition. To the extent the transition is rushed, energy is wasted in starting the reversal too soon. This would result in less than full power and control. Power necessarily follows control.

By the same token, a table tennis player possesses a finite amount of energy that can be used for the full power shot. You can't extract more than the maximum, but you can get a lot less when you lose that sense of quietness at transition. Without that quietness, you will not be able to start back with all at your disposal...you won't even be starting it; it will be starting without you (rebounding). 

In another post I said,

"I continue to answer the question, "Would this theory work in TT?", in the affirmative. Further, it generalizes to physical actions in any sport."

To which tt4me responded,

Yes, having time to make a shot helps but the pause does not generate more power as asked in the original post.

If you think the pause generates more power then how much more power would be generated for a 1ms, 10ms, 100ms or even a 1000ms delay?  If you can't find a relationship then there is none.  I have asked this question a few times now.  There has been no reply.

My reply: A pause (quietness) of optimal length enables the player to extract the maximum power from the stroke. That optimal time is sensed by the player and of course occurs near the end of the coiling. I say near the end because the hand/racket unit is quiet even before the coiling is fully complete.

There doesn't have to be a positive relationship between longer pause and more power to prove the point. We don't expect a sprinter to remain in the "get set" position any longer than he senses the need (assuming there's no gun and the sprinter can start when he wants) 

There is, however, a relationship between the pause becoming increasingly shorter than optimum and a loss of power. Just blur your arm back and forth and see how good that feels. It won't come forward any faster than it went back.

And, finally, a lot of posts are getting involved with circular and elliptical motions. This is really off the track. There is no directional bias in these motions. A speed can be constant in relation to its circular or elliptical path, but varying in relation to a fixed point on the horizontal. There is still a moment in the elliptical motion when it stops going backward and begins to go forward. Naturally, this means at a certain point the velocity is zero in both directions.

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 2:14am

My reply: A pause (quietness) of optimal length enables the player to extract the maximum power from the stroke. That optimal time is sensed by the player and of course occurs near the end of the coiling. I say near the end because the hand/racket unit is quiet even before the coiling is fully complete.
I believe this point is illustrated perfectly in the Roddick serve motion video at about 22sec (stick figure version)

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 2:24am
This is hopeless.  It would be best if this thread was deleted so it doesn't spread more myths.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 9:10am

OK maybe my base physics is wrong but to my understanding we are talking about motion on an elliptical path. The reason that I am saying that there is no stopping is because of what I said in the previous post about the stroke not being in a absolutely straight line forward and back. The stroke and every part of it will always travel on some type of modified oval or elliptical pathway. 

I am saying that no matter how eccentric the ellipse there is always a curved path that exists at the two ends. And a real stroke in the real world is anything but perfectly straight back and forth. 

Thats absolutely correct, I didnt clarify that of course all of the strokes are not happening in a perfectly straight line, I thought this was taken for granted sorry for the misunderstanding my friend :)

-------------

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 9:26am

This is hopeless.  It would be best if this thread was deleted so it doesn't spread more myths.

Dude, both me and josepher replied to your questions saying the exact same things with different words (no pause doesnt ADD power, the backswing DOES because the muscles tense in the backswing pause and then contract to RELEASE the stored energy to the ball! simple as that!), we are just having a conversation expressing our opinions, why should the thread be deleted?

I have no problem to reconsider my thoughts, even though I am  sure that I am quite accurate (not 100% but I believe I got the case solved in its substance), I dont see any myths around, just opinions either true or false based on personal experience.

If you believe that what we are saying is false, you can express yourself using the laws of physics to convince us. That is what everybody here is doing I think, its pointless to argue just for the arguement or to prove something :)

-------------

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 10:29am
in roddick's serve above when the racket is pointing toward the sky at 45s, that's when the back swing starts; then the head goes down and points at the ground and that is the end of the back swing; then the head goes back up, hits the ball and that is the swing. there is no pause at all.

the video misleads to what would be a pause and the end of the back swing at 45s; but the end of the back swing is not at 45s; the end of the back swing is at 50s when the head of the racket is pointing to the ground and for sure there is no pause between 45s, when the back swing really starts, and contact with the ball , when the swing ends. anything that leads to the 45s mark is to get ready for the back swing/swing combo; then the back swing starts.

replace 45 by 1m30s (or 2m01s, when the head is pointing upward is the start of the back swing) and 50s by 1m36s (or 2m03s, the start of the swing) for another view. I do not see any pause.

do i make some sense or do i just appear as a cantankerous person who wants to be right no matter what?

-------------
/forum/topic91512_page1.html#1124698" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 11:19am

(no pause doesnt ADD power, the backswing DOES because the muscles tense in the backswing pause and then contract to RELEASE the stored energy to the ball! simple as that!)

Actually that's not the argument that I think you guys were putting forth. I for one never argued that a back swing is not necessary to generate power nor would I. 

My issue was with the transition between the back swing and the forward part of the swing and your claim that the motion stops during that transition. I don't think I expressed or implied that not stopping added power. 

My argument was that by not stopping you conserve some of the angular momentum and energy you used to pull the paddle back in the first place. That's what I was getting at with the red car, blue car analogy. By not stopping you reduce the amount of power necessary to achieve max swing speed and/or increase the max swing speed that is possible in the time and distance you have to work with. I think you are only thinking of the part of the swing that is moving forward into the ball and not considering that you could borrow some of the energy you exerted during the back swing so you don't have to start from a dead stop.

In 2D orbital mechanics this would be  an eccentric orbit. note the acceleration as the radius decreases. That's the conservation of angular momentum.

Now let's look at a tennis FH from some no name average player. Note the acceleration at the point of transition, a kind of whip crack. To my understanding that's is conserving some of the momentum from the back swing. 

I hope this is a little more obvious. It is obviously a more complicated motion in 3D but the principle holds imo. Also the importance of conservation is greater because the mass of racket and the amount of torque necessary are relatively large. That's why you see loopy strokes that conserve momentum.

-------------
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 11:24am
BTW thanks fatt. I would have never known you could insert GIFs. So Cool.Tongue

-------------
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 12:20pm
V griper I was replying to TT4me who claims that, the backswing pause does not add power. Actually I agree with you about the borrowed energy, when the stroke motions is elliptical or circular but still there is a minical pause that helps the brain to adjust with the timing.

Of course in high level professional play with really fast balls, maybe  players can achieve a continuous motion inbetween two contacts, but I cant validate this fact for sure cause Iam not a professional player :)

-------------

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 12:26pm

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 12:38pm
The back swing is not necessary to generate power either.  I could jump up and down and generate power and that has nothing to do with a back swing or hitting a ball.

As I said before, you guys don't know the definition of power.  Power is the conversion of energy from one form to another.  I can jump up and down and for the most part the only result will be heat.
There is a lot of difference between power generated and power delivered.  The ratio of power delivered/power generated is called efficiency.  This is similar to the power at the engine and the power that is measured by a dynamometer at the wheel.

One does not extract energy or power from strokes or pauses.  You burn calories to generate power.

If you want to hit a ball or shuttle faster you simply need to swing faster so the impact speed is faster.
It can be done with a high acceleration over a short time or a lower acceleration over a longer time, it makes no difference.   The only thing that matters is the speed at impact.
About that conservation of angular momentum.  The paddle is not in orbit or rotating around something.
The paddle will not rotate around a elbow joint or should joint. The animations.
I am not interested in anybody's opinions, only facts and so far this thread has been thin on facts and very thick on made up bad information.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 12:38pm

in roddick's serve above when the racket is pointing toward the sky at 45s, that's when the back swing starts; then the head goes down and points at the ground and that is the end of the back swing; then the head goes back up, hits the ball and that is the swing. there is no pause at all.

the video misleads to what would be a pause and the end of the back swing at 45s; but the end of the back swing is not at 45s; the end of the back swing is at 50s when the head of the racket is pointing to the ground and for sure there is no pause between 45s, when the back swing really starts, and contact with the ball , when the swing ends. anything that leads to the 45s mark is to get ready for the back swing/swing combo; then the back swing starts.

replace 45 by 1m30s (or 2m01s, when the head is pointing upward is the start of the back swing) and 50s by 1m36s (or 2m03s, the start of the swing) for another view. I do not see any pause.

do i make some sense or do i just appear as a cantankerous person who wants to be right no matter what?

fatt,
I disagree in the segment you are talking about service motion and backswing starts at 35s. In my opinion I see a pause in the racquet motion aroun 47s or 48s - you can argue there is movement but it's very small - I would say velocity would be very very low - basically all the energy is in the body - not in the racquet at this point. Then the racquet is accelerated to the point of contact.

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 12:42pm

BTW thanks fatt. I would have never known you could insert GIFs. So Cool.Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 12:44pm

fatt,
I disagree in the segment you are talking about service motion and backswing starts at 35s. In my opinion I see a pause in the racquet motion aroun 47s or 48s - you can argue there is movement but it's very small - I would say velocity would be very very low - basically all the energy is in the body - not in the racquet at this point. Then the racquet is accelerated to the point of contact.

what I meant is your pause around 47 or 48 is actually the start of the back swing, when the head of the racket is pointing to the sky; then the back swing goes down until the head is pointing to the ground; then the swing starts; I see no pause.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 12:52pm

fatt,

what I meant is your pause around 47 or 48 is actually the start of the back swing, when the head of the racket is pointing to the sky; then the back swing goes down until the head is pointing to the ground; then the swing starts; I see no pause.
So what we have here is a difference opinion as to when and where the swing starts. If you define the swing on your terms - there is no pause - if you define it on my terms - then there is a pause. I guess it's all about perspective.

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 1:07pm

fatt,

So what we have here is a difference opinion as to when and where the swing starts. If you define the swing on your terms - there is no pause - if you define it on my terms - then there is a pause. I guess it's all about perspective.
there we go; the debate is now about where the back swing starts Big smile.
I see it starting at your 47-48s mark because from there we have the head of the racket going down in one direction, gaining momentum, before changing direction and coming back up and hit the ball. Everything before your 47-48s mark is the preparation of the stroke, the "getting-ready-to-unload" part of the stroke; in a tt fh it would be the part when we get in position before starting to put our weight on the right foot, time at which the back swing starts.
Your thinking way to put the start of the back swing before the 47-48s mark is equivalent in a tt fh to considering the back swing starting at the end of the footwork, before we start putting our weight on the right foot and so, ok, there is possibly a pause.
It really is a matter of feeling comfortable with our vision of the stroke; I believe the way you are thinking leads to the same efficiency and what we do now is just gently rhetorical.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 1:26pm

fatt,

there we go; the debate is now about where the back swing starts Big smile.
I see it starting at your 47-48s mark because from there we have the head of the racket going down in one direction, gaining momentum, before changing direction and coming back up and hit the ball. Everything before your 47-48s mark is the preparation of the stroke, the "getting-ready-to-unload" part of the stroke; in a tt fh it would be the part when we get in position before starting to put our weight on the right foot, time at which the back swing starts.
Your thinking way to put the start of the back swing before the 47-48s mark is equivalent in a tt fh to considering the back swing starting at the end of the footwork, before we start putting our weight on the right foot and so, ok, there is possibly a pause.
It really is a matter of feeling comfortable with our vision of the stroke; I believe the way you are thinking leads to the same efficiency and what we do now is just gently rhetorical.
See the problem I have with starting the swing at 47s - if you look at the hand (not the racquet head) notice it is moving forward. So where is the backswing - if that is the beginning of the swing? So in my opinion you are only examining half the swing. That would explain our differing view points about the pause.

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 1:30pm

I hope this is a little more obvious. It is obviously a more complicated motion in 3D but the principle holds imo. Also the importance of conservation is greater because the mass of racket and the amount of torque necessary are relatively large. That's why you see loopy strokes that conserve momentum.
V-Griper - I think in this clip Federer is in a practice warm up mode - he wouldn't be trying to generate extra power. As the Badminton coach said - pause/stop will add an additional 10% - 20%. You will only see players doing it for winners in match play. Not during warm ups. 

I agree in Tennis stopping the racquet on ground stroke would be hard because of the weight of the racquet. Although, I wondered about Del Potro - he seems to hold the racquet still for while....but haven't studied it.

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 1:57pm

Yes.

From my perspective I think of it as one continuous motion where I'm trying to recycle as much power as is possible under the constraints. 

So I would say that stroke starts with the acceleration at take back, then through a tight transition, like a slingshot orbit and then keeps accelerating to ball contact. 

Or you could just hit the damn ball!! 

This is just starting to get ridiculous.CryConfusedWacko LOL

I need to get a lifeSmile

-------------
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 2:01pm

V-Griper - I think in this clip Federer is in a practice warm up mode - he wouldn't be trying to generate extra power. As the Badminton coach said - pause/stop will add an additional 10% - 20%. You will only see players doing it for winners in match play. Not during warm ups. 

I agree in Tennis stopping the racquet on ground stroke would be hard because of the weight of the racquet. Although, I wondered about Del Potro - he seems to hold the racquet still for while....but haven't studied it.

Same thing.

-------------
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 2:04pm
Djokovic-

-------------
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 2:09pm
Nadal-

-------------
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 2:27pm

Yes.

From my perspective I think of it as one continuous motion where I'm trying to recycle as much power as is possible under the constraints. 

So I would say that stroke starts with the acceleration at take back, then through a tight transition, like a slingshot orbit and then keeps accelerating to ball contact. 

Or you could just hit the damn ball!! 

This is just starting to get ridiculous.CryConfusedWacko LOL

I need to get a lifeSmile
Yes, It's time to take a pause and hit the ball!LOL

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 2:40pm

Dude, both me and josepher replied to your questions saying the exact same things with different words (no pause doesnt ADD power, the backswing DOES because the muscles tense in the backswing pause and then contract to RELEASE the stored energy to the ball! simple as that!), we are just having a conversation expressing our opinions, why should the thread be deleted?

I have no problem to reconsider my thoughts, even though I am  sure that I am quite accurate (not 100% but I believe I got the case solved in its substance), I dont see any myths around, just opinions either true or false based on personal experience.

If you believe that what we are saying is false, you can express yourself using the laws of physics to convince us. That is what everybody here is doing I think, its pointless to argue just for the arguement or to prove something :)

You guys do understand that the badminton coach was talking about a pause or stop before starting the backswing - right?

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

You guys do understand that the badminton coach was talking about a pause or stop before starting the backswing - right?

of course ! its more than obvious. we are talking about TT here where the recoil between two hits is much faster than badminton. The badminton coach though makes a mistake, the backswing is what adds the power, not the pause, pause helps correct timing and maximum energy release with minimum effort, so I suppose that he was trying to say something like that.

I havent played badminton to be 100% sure though 

-------------

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 3:51pm

The back swing is not necessary to generate power either.  I could jump up and down and generate power and that has nothing to do with a back swing or hitting a ball.

As I said before, you guys don't know the definition of power.  Power is the conversion of energy from one form to another.  I can jump up and down and for the most part the only result will be heat.
There is a lot of difference between power generated and power delivered.  The ratio of power delivered/power generated is called efficiency.  This is similar to the power at the engine and the power that is measured by a dynamometer at the wheel.

One does not extract energy or power from strokes or pauses.  You burn calories to generate power.

If you want to hit a ball or shuttle faster you simply need to swing faster so the impact speed is faster.
It can be done with a high acceleration over a short time or a lower acceleration over a longer time, it makes no difference.   The only thing that matters is the speed at impact.
About that conservation of angular momentum.  The paddle is not in orbit or rotating around something.
The paddle will not rotate around a elbow joint or should joint. The animations.
I am not interested in anybody's opinions, only facts and so far this thread has been thin on facts and very thick on made up bad information.

Well ok we have a real smartass here. Bravo my friend you knocked us all out . Im not gonna post the one and only definition of power but I will let you search for yourself. 

Obivously we are talking for the power energy or force or whatever you wanna call it to the BALL. We are not talking about the definition of POWER. So if you gonna play mr smartass, go chech some physics book and you will see that POWER = ENERGY PER ....

Total waste of time answering to douchebags like you, but anyway I tried to be friendly but it seems like we have a 14 yo kiddo here with libido issues.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/08/2013 at 3:55pm

of course ! its more than obvious. we are talking about TT here where the recoil between two hits is much faster than badminton. The badminton coach though makes a mistake, the backswing is what adds the power, not the pause, pause helps correct timing and maximum energy release with minimum effort, so I suppose that he was trying to say something like that.

I havent played badminton to be 100% sure though 

Well some of you have branched into talking about tennis and the pause or near pause near the end of the back-swing and seem to have traveled very far away from the original question. 

My guess is that English is not the coaches native language.  Also, people seem to have interpreted his saying that you should "stop" in order to generate more power into something more literal like "stopping generates more power" - which he didn't say.  If you want to get at the root of what the badminton coach was trying to explain, look at the videos of the "stopped" vs. "non-stopped" strokes. 

Also, the applicability of badminton and tennis techniques to TT will be limited by the fact that we typically do have much less time between contacts and by the fact that our rackets do not have long extensions like the rackets used in tennis and badminton.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net