Print Page | Close Window

Speed Glue

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64494
Printed Date: 04/30/2024 at 5:02am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Speed Glue
Posted By: n8stee
Subject: Speed Glue
Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 3:43pm
Would this make sped glue?
Rubber cement 70%
Baby oil 30%

-------------
I'm Nate
BLADE: YEO Cpen
BH: Xiom Omega IV Asia/Pogo pips out
FH: DHS Hurricane 2 neo

Blade: Nittaku Ruforal Jpen
FH: Nittaku Renanos Soft
RPB: focus 3 snipe<

Replies:
Posted By: neutronbomb
Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 4:08pm
If you be apply the rubber cement first, let it dry completely, then apply a think layer of baby oil on top and let it sink in for a day, it will dome up a it  and that's basically how booster works. Most people use paraffin oil, though. That would be what I would recommend.
The speed glue part comes from VOCs, which rubber cement does have a low amount of. If you are mixing the two together, it wouldn't do much. By the time the baby oil absorbs completely, all of the VOC from the heptane in the rubber cement would have evaporated. I'm not even sure how well the rubber cement would dry if you mixed the two together. You might just end up with a mess.

-------------
USATT Rating 2059

FH Tibhar 5Q+

BH Giant Dragon Long

Hallmark Aurora

Posted By: puppy412
Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 4:33pm
in my days of illegal player I would put one layer of lem-oil, let it dry (around 1 minute) then immediately one layer of haifu whale speed glue.
let dry, adhere.

this was ridiculously fast with h3, like 100 times what any real booster gives you.

also the more times you do it, the more it reacts and the softer and better the h3 becomes.

there's no better fh combination than this.

Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 4:49pm
lem-oil?

-------------
I'm Nate

Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by neutronbomb neutronbomb wrote:

If you be apply the rubber cement first, let it dry completely, then apply a think layer of baby oil on top and let it sink in for a day, it will dome up a it  and that's basically how booster works. Most people use paraffin oil, though. That would be what I would recommend.
The speed glue part comes from VOCs, which rubber cement does have a low amount of. If you are mixing the two together, it wouldn't do much. By the time the baby oil absorbs completely, all of the VOC from the heptane in the rubber cement would have evaporated. I'm not even sure how well the rubber cement would dry if you mixed the two together. You might just end up with a mess.

I did mix them and it didn't make that much up a mess. I did it trice with 3 different set-ups. The first one I mixed them than put 3 layers of glue on the rubber and let them dry 50% then set them to the blade. The second one I did what you told me to and it said exactly what you said it would do. The third one I di d the same thing as the first but let it dry completely then put a layer on the blade and mounted the rubber to  the blade. It worked but not as well as the first one.

-------------
I'm Nate

Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by n8stee n8stee wrote:

lem-oil?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/kyser-dr.-stringfellow-lem-oil

the magic potion
LOL

Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by puppy412 puppy412 wrote:

lem-oil?

the magic potion
LOL
Anything else like it? Because I can't find it in any local music store ... or any store for that matter

-------------
I'm Nate

Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 5:30pm

lem-oil?

the magic potion
LOL
Anything else like it? Because I can't find it in any local music store ... or any store for that matter

don't know, this is the one I used.
I don't live in US but ordered from ebay.
it's really cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyser-Lemon-Oil-Guitar-Fretboard-Polish-Cleaner-Preservative-/191019240212?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c79a24b14

Posted By: frogger
Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 6:40pm
Lem-oil is liquid used for cleaning and conditioning guitar fretboards. It is not to be confused with high grade lemon oil. I should know since I am also an advanced guitarist. If you want speed glue any good bike shop should carry Vulcofux glue used in tire repair. Full of voc's and perhaps not available anymore I'm not sure. That stuff was the ultimate speed glue back in the day.

-------------
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

Lem-oil is liquid used for cleaning and conditioning guitar fretboards. It is not to be confused with high grade lemon oil. I should know since I am also an advanced guitarist. If you want speed glue any good bike shop should carry Vulcofux glue used in tire repair. Full of voc's and perhaps not available anymore I'm not sure. That stuff was the ultimate speed glue back in the day.

LOLLOL I had some i'm tempted now. Lemon smelling table tennis rubber.

-------------
I'm Nate

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:30pm
When we ran out of speed glue back in the day, we would use something like this stuff, which we found at Pepboys and some Walmarts:  rubber vulcanizing cement, ususally used to repair bicycle tires and such.  It was a very powerful speed glue.  If you are completely unconcerned with legality and just want to see what it was like, this is the stuff.  Only one coat needed on blade an rubber.  Wait for rubber to dome (which will be very quick).  If you really want to experience speed glue, don't improvise with rubber cement.  Go for the real thing, and this is it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tire-Repair-Vulcanization-Solution-Glue-Cement-32oz-1-Qt-for-Patching-Plugging-/230972171563

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rema-Tire-Repair-Glue-Cold-Vulcanizing-Fluid-8-oz-203-Made-in-U-S-A-/151189488261

This is some nasty smelling stuff, so use it in a well-ventilated area.

Put it on your rubber and then party like it's 1999.

Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:33pm
Alternative two for OP.  Use lighter fluid mixed with rubber cement (not baby oil).  Maybe about 50-50 mixture.  Use as above.  Also pretty good.  Back in the day, people would also use lighter fluid to remove built up speed glue from rubbers.

Remember, these speed glues have to be re-used each time you play.  The effect only lasts a few hours, with some small residual effect for the next day or so.

Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Alternative two for OP.  Use lighter fluid mixed with rubber cement (not baby oil).  Maybe about 50-50 mixture.  Use as above.  Also pretty good.  Back in the day, people would also use lighter fluid to remove built up speed glue from rubbers.

Remember, these speed glues have to be re-used each time you play.  The effect only lasts a few hours, with some small residual effect for the next day or so.

Yah I had haifu whale 2 but used it all up so just trying out different things.

-------------
I'm Nate

Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:39pm
actually I read about this lem-oil here, but it was some years ago.

Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:41pm
Vulcanizing cement gives best effect.  It is like early day speed glue.  People forget, but ITTF banned speed glues in two stages.  First they banned glues with certain solvents, in the 90s a some point.  Probably not a bad idea to get rid of halogenated hydrocarbon solvents.  Then in 2008 they banned anything with an organic solvent at all (they claimed for health reasons, but it was not really the problem with the stuff people were using by then, although they stank).  In between, companies discovered all sorts of speed glues with quite safe solvents.  Many were patented.

Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:42pm
Lemon oil and eucalyptus oil were discussed here a lot around 2008, and also on OOAK forum.  These are really boosters, not speed glues.  Speed glue gives a much stronger effect.  I am not sure at all what speed glue would due to a modern rubber not designed for it.  My guess is that the speed glue would still work, but after it's effect wore off, the rubber would have lost whatever was built into it at the factory and would play dead.

BUT, if you want to use Sriver, or plain Mark V, or better yet, Bryce or Bryce FX, then you will be good to go.

The term FX was introduced by Btfly for describe sponges that were affected by speed glue more than others.  FX = Eff-ects, get it?  Nice play on words.  Those came out late, maybe 2006 or so?  Now an FX version of a rubber just means softer. 

Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:45pm

Lemon oil and eucalyptus oil were discussed here a lot around 2008, and also on OOAK forum.  These are really boosters, not speed glues.  Speed glue gives a much stronger effect.

together effect gets multiplied.

Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:49pm
Off the top of my head I doubt it but I can't say that I ever tried it myself.  Speed glue works by causing expansiion of the sponge that is greater than expansion of the top-sheet, so it puts some extra tension on the top sheet.  This is what causes it to dome (like the bimetalic strip on an old thermostat that changes shape with temperature).  There is no obvious reason why lemon oil plus one of these older glues would have greater effect.  But I could be wrong about that.  Anyway, the effect of those vulcanizing rubber glues is so strong, you won't need more, trust me!

People used to experiment a lot with these things back when it was legal.  Rubbers were cheaper too, so if you messed up it wasn't quite such a disaster.  I never saw anything better than vulcanizing glue.  But you could mix some lemon oil in and find out.

Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:52pm

Off the top of my head I doubt it but I can't say that I ever tried it myself.  Speed glue works by causing expansiion of the sponge that is greater than expansion of the top-sheet, so it puts some extra tension on the top sheet.  This is what causes it to dome (like the bimetalic strip on an old thermostat that changes shape with temperature).  There is no obvious reason why lemon oil plus one of these older glues would have greater effect.  But I could be wrong about that.  Anyway, the effect of those vulcanizing rubbers is so strong, you won't need more, trust me!

well I'm saying that I tried it and it works that way, you doubt me without having ever tried it....
Clap

Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:55pm
Well, cool then.  Having said that, I used Haifu Whale back in the day, and it was weak speed glue by pre 2008 standards.  The vulcanizing glue, and also something from Tibhar called rapid clear or rapid clean or something like that were much much stronger.  Could be that the lemon just brings Haifu to that level or maybe you are correct that it is something super duper. None of us used oils with glue back in the day.  

Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:56pm

Off the top of my head I doubt it but I can't say that I ever tried it myself.  Speed glue works by causing expansiion of the sponge that is greater than expansion of the top-sheet, so it puts some extra tension on the top sheet.  This is what causes it to dome (like the bimetalic strip on an old thermostat that changes shape with temperature).  There is no obvious reason why lemon oil plus one of these older glues would have greater effect.  But I could be wrong about that.  Anyway, the effect of those vulcanizing rubbers is so strong, you won't need more, trust me!

well I'm saying that I tried it and it works that way, you doubt me without having ever tried it....
Clap

I have used vulcanizing cement.
lasts maybe the rest of the day, not more.
lem-oil + haifu whale lasted 3 weeks when I used it (I did for many months).
the h3 stretches so much that once in a while you need to cut a chunk off.

Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 7:58pm
Now there you are on to something.  That IS interesting. Yes, vulcanizing cement only lasts a few hours.  So if you found a way to extend the effect, that is an improvement.  The super stretching effect where you had to periodically trim your rubber down so it would still fit on the blade, I remember that well LOL

Posted By: Roger Stillabower
Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 8:03pm
I use the Haifu Whale 2 speed glue on my H3 sponges. I apply several applications and let it sit a few days before glueing to blade using a WBG. It seems to make the H3 as fast as a ESN rubber and I don't have to re-apply the speed glue,just the initial. But I would not use speed glue on a ESN or Tenergy rubber.

-------------
Shifter

Date Posted: 01/10/2014 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Roger Stillabower Roger Stillabower wrote:

I use the Haifu Whale 2 speed glue on my H3 sponges. I apply several applications and let it sit a few days before glueing to blade using a WBG. It seems to make the H3 as fast as a ESN rubber and I don't have to re-apply the speed glue,just the initial. But I would not use speed glue on a ESN or Tenergy rubber.

the trick of lem-oil + haifu whale
was that I would apply, let it dry in less than 1 minute and stick to blade as fast as possible.
this way the stuff in the glue and the oil had nowhere to go but to the sponge and the topsheet LOL
no contact with air = no evaporation.
this is what made it super powerful.

Posted By: viktorovich
Date Posted: 01/11/2014 at 2:51am
@puppy412
? One layer of lem-oil + WBG ? Thanks.

Date Posted: 01/11/2014 at 11:03am
Originally posted by viktorovich viktorovich wrote:

@puppy412
? One layer of lem-oil + WBG ? Thanks.

if you do it with water based glue probably won't do much.
it's not haifu seamoon Big smile
I think the combination with haifu whale speed glue is what gave the power.

the oil is a spray so I would spray sponge 4 or 5 times, then spread the liquid all over the sponge and then let it dry.
then apply haifu whale glue 1 layer and let it dry.
the second the glue dried I stuck it with blade.

Date Posted: 01/11/2014 at 11:27am

That would explain why it lasts.  Too bad you didn't figure this out 15 years ago, could have made money with the idea.

Date Posted: 01/11/2014 at 11:28am

That would explain why it lasts.  Too bad you didn't figure this out 15 years ago, could have made money with the idea.

some people would put the rubber against glass to force stuff to go to the sponge.
I didn't invent anything.Smile

Date Posted: 01/11/2014 at 6:09pm
Me, I just glued every time I played.

Date Posted: 01/11/2014 at 7:19pm
I'm happy speed gluing days are over! What a mess and hassle that was plus all the bad stuff that got into your skin and fumes going into your lungs.

-------------
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Date Posted: 01/11/2014 at 9:38pm
I have to say, it was a pain.  I don't miss that part.

Posted By: tt4me
Date Posted: 01/11/2014 at 9:58pm

I'm happy speed gluing days are over! What a mess and hassle that was plus all the bad stuff that got into your skin and fumes going into your lungs.
Where I work I have a paint or spray hood that exhausts the fumes outside.  If I open the sliding door just high enough for my hands to fit through the fumes don't escape.  I never get speed glue on my hands.

However,  I do find it a pain and the rear do speed glue rubbers and so far I have only tried in on Dawei IQUL.   I wouldn't speed glue a rubber that costs more than $20.

I simply don't see where it is worth the effort.  No matter what rubber I have I know I am the limiting factor. 

My coach experiments with boosted and perhaps speed glue rubbers against me during my lessons.  I don't see where it makes a difference in his play.

-------------
Samsonov Alpha+H3 Neo+802 1.5mm, the Ball Whacker is revived!<br />Samsonov Alpha+H3 Neo+802-40 1.8mm my back up<br />BCX5+H3+802-1 1.8mm New but promising.<br />

Date Posted: 01/11/2014 at 11:00pm
I am almost tempted to get an old sheet of rubber and glue it up just so I can remind myself what it feels like.  After 5 years I wonder if my memories are accurate or if I would even like it anymore.  But if memory serves, I liked it a lot and it definitely made a difference in the way I played, but not on every shot.  Problem is that I don't actually have any rubbers around the house where it would be likely to produce any sort of optimum effect.

Posted By: regiz.rugenz
Date Posted: 01/23/2014 at 8:47am

J.O. Waldner disagrees on the speed glue ban...

He said in an interview, "Speed gluing was harmless". 
Here's a complete interview on Waldner from  http://tabletennista.com/2014/1/jan-ove-waldner-speedgluing-was-harmless/" rel="nofollow - Tabletennista.eu , posted Jan. 13, 2014.

-------------
Regiz°ᆗ
Rosewood_Carbon/Huricane_King   °FH:Vega_Japan/T64FX   °BH:OmegaV_Euro/Rasant
°°°°

Posted By: hookumsnivy
Date Posted: 01/23/2014 at 9:02am
Originally posted by regiz.rugenz regiz.rugenz wrote:

Here's a complete interview on Waldner from  http://tabletennista.com/2014/1/jan-ove-waldner-speedgluing-was-harmless/" rel="nofollow - Tabletennista.eu , posted Jan. 13, 2014.

If you're going to put quotes, at least do it right.  This was the original quote:
"Speedgluing should have been allowed to continue providing it was harmless."

He's not saying it was harmless, he's saying that IF it was harmless it should have be allowed.

Date Posted: 01/23/2014 at 10:43am
Originally posted by hookumsnivy hookumsnivy wrote:

If you're going to put quotes, at least do it right.  This was the original quote:
"Speedgluing should have been allowed to continue providing it was harmless."

He's not saying it was harmless, he's saying that IF it was harmless it should have be allowed.

-1 for your negative remark... 
       and make that x3 as I explained below.

FIRST OFF..
The quote I posted here came straight from the author himself of that article, translated into British English from an interview on Waldner in Swedish posted recently on a European blogger. Besides, do you really know how exactly Waldner said it on the interview? and if so then translate it in a way how it should be exactly quoted in English.. if you really are that quote sensitive.

SECONDLY..
Did you know there's a use of context clues to entirely understand an article? rather than entirely misinterpreting it, by relying only on a single quote within the context, here's a clue for one.. let us suppose your perception was right, the quote then would have been translated as: 

“Speed gluing would have been allowed to continue providing it was harmless"

and not..

“Speed gluing should have been allowed to continue providing it was harmless” 

GOT the idea?
and that still doesn’t conclude from there...
you’ve got the entire article full of context clues.

THIRDLY..
Content proof read first before you make a negative remark onto one's post.
And so next time, if you want to comment negatively, well.. at least do it right. 

PEACE everyone!!! °Q(ツ)

-------------
Regiz°ᆗ
°°°°

Date Posted: 01/24/2014 at 5:32pm
So I mixed:
Rubber cement 30%
Nail polish remove 40 %(this stuff has to have a ton of VOC's in it)

Baby oil 10%

Frebreze 5% (to mask the smell of the nail polish and for the extra hint of Voc's)

and some random oils from the Kutchen 5%

This stuff made the loudest sound and played like a speed glue but didn't expand the rubber that much

-------------
I'm Nate

Date Posted: 01/24/2014 at 6:03pm

So I mixed:
Rubber cement 30%

Baby oil 10%

Frebreze 5% (to mask the smell of the nail polish and for the extra hint of Voc's)

This stuff made the loudest sound and played like a speed glue but didn't expand the rubber that much

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Operation_Upshot-Knothole_-_Badger_001.jpg

Date Posted: 01/24/2014 at 6:04pm

So I mixed:
Rubber cement 30%

Baby oil 10%

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/79/Operation_Upshot-Knothole_-_Badger_001.jpg
Shocked

-------------
I'm Nate

Posted By: Fulanodetal
Date Posted: 01/24/2014 at 6:10pm
On a related note: rubber cements from different brands vary in viscosity. How/what do you use make RC thinner?

Date Posted: 01/24/2014 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

On a related note: rubber cements from different brands vary in viscosity. How/what do you use make RC thinner?

it was Elmer rubber cement

-------------
I'm Nate

Date Posted: 01/24/2014 at 6:25pm

Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

it was Elmer rubber cement, plus it you these liquid thin it.

-------------
I'm Nate

Date Posted: 01/24/2014 at 6:57pm

might probably do as well with just a pure acetone, since nail polish remover are usually just a percent of acetone with perfume in it.

-------------
Regiz°ᆗ
°°°°

Date Posted: 01/24/2014 at 6:59pm

might probably do as well with just a pure acetone, since nail polish remover are usually just a percent of acetone with perfume in it.

Trust me the stuff I was using does not have perfume in it

-------------
I'm Nate

Date Posted: 01/25/2014 at 5:36pm
just boosted a provincial h3 I had with "drstringfellow" + "haifu whale" speed glue.
first time this rubber is boosted but it's already much softer and bouncier, almost like an euro rubber.
spin also increased!

Posted By: Roger Stillabower
Date Posted: 01/25/2014 at 6:07pm
I use The Haifu Whale 2 speed glue on my H3 nat. and prov., and then put 2 to 3 layers of Falco Long booster and I think they are just as fast if not faster than any Tenergy or Tensor rubber when I hit into the sponge.

-------------
Shifter

Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 01/25/2014 at 6:21pm

So I mixed:
Rubber cement 30%

Baby oil 10%

what is frebreeze?

Date Posted: 01/25/2014 at 7:42pm
It is stuff you spray into the air that is supposed to remove bad smells in your house.  I have no idea how it works.

Posted By: jrscatman
Date Posted: 01/25/2014 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

So I mixed:
Rubber cement 30%

Baby oil 10%

what is frebreeze?
Fabric softener you put in your washing machine to make clothes smell nice and fresh.
Apparently, they have aerosol version that can be used as an air freshener. Not sure if this is a healthy practice.

-------------
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX

Posted By: smackman
Date Posted: 01/25/2014 at 9:12pm
me and chuck just use H3 off the shelf , just glue and play

-------------
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website

Date Posted: 01/26/2014 at 8:59am
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

So I mixed:
Rubber cement 30%

Baby oil 10%

what is frebreeze?
Fabric softener you put in your washing machine to make clothes smell nice and fresh.
Apparently, they have aerosol version that can be used as an air freshener. Not sure if this is a healthy practice.

Oh well dumped it any ways... Too much work

-------------
I'm Nate

Date Posted: 01/26/2014 at 9:02am

It is stuff you spray into the air that is supposed to remove bad smells in your house.  I have no idea how it works.

Air fresheners have VOC's in them so I threw it into the mix to kill the smell and add some more VOC's...
Health no... But what speed glue is?

-------------
I'm Nate

Date Posted: 01/26/2014 at 9:03am

Yah but I didn't have any of that just laying around.LOL

-------------
I'm Nate

Posted By: Cochese
Date Posted: 12/18/2014 at 5:41pm
Bringing up an old thread here, but I never got to experience the speed glue days.

Would the lem-oil stuff work with normal rubber cement?

-------------
Tibhar SPW
Adidas P7 Max/Vega Euro 1.8

Date Posted: 12/18/2014 at 10:24pm
No.  Go find some rubber vucanizer at an auto parts store.

Date Posted: 12/18/2014 at 10:55pm

Just remember to wear your biohazard suits and have a fire extinguisher handy when mixing all that stuff together.

-------------
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Date Posted: 12/19/2014 at 12:38am
This is the stuff right?

http://s1139.photobucket.com/user/rberndt3/media/Table%20Tennis/BCFBEC10-5EE7-490C-A395-1F037ABDF54C_zpstqkd1772.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------
Tibhar SPW

Date Posted: 12/19/2014 at 2:21am
Howah! where did you get that? LOL!

BTW, I find lem oil to work just fine with Elmer's glue alone.. will not dome or boost too much, just enough to get some extra kick and gives you enormous control. I just don't know if it works on most rubbers though.. I've used it only on Rasants, Tenergies, Rhyzm on a max, and few good not so pricey rubbers. 

I've to say I don't boost my rubbers anymore, that after I found the right blade for me.

-------------
Regiz°ᆗ
°°°°

Date Posted: 12/19/2014 at 8:54am
They sell it at auto part stores, O'Rielly and Advanced Auto both stock it in my area. Gonna have to order some cheap 729 rubber or something and give it a try.

Question....do you apply it just like normal glue? One layer on rubber, one layer on blade, let dry and stick it on

-------------
Tibhar SPW

Posted By: pdotec
Date Posted: 12/19/2014 at 10:12am
Originally posted by Cochese Cochese wrote:

Bringing up an old thread here, but I never got to experience the speed glue days.

Would the lem-oil stuff work with normal rubber cement?

d-limonene works as a booster
mixes with rubber cement
effect is temporary, less than one day, as it evaporates
also depends on rubber you are using.
reguling or speed gluing means you need to add more/reglue often
d-limonene is not a harmful solvent.

I mix d-limonene with paraffin oil and use on the top surface of my rubbers.
It restores the grip/tackiness.   Whether this has any speed glue effect, I'm not sure.

Date Posted: 12/19/2014 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Cochese Cochese wrote:

They sell it at auto part stores, O'Rielly and Advanced Auto both stock it in my area. Gonna have to order some cheap 729 rubber or something and give it a try.

Question....do you apply it just like normal glue? One layer on rubber, one layer on blade, let dry and stick it on

Yep, that's the stuff (although I never used that particular brand).  Some on blade, some on rubber, let dry, should take about 5 minutes, stick it on, play.  Crazy stuff.  Use it in a well ventilated space.  Don't use it on a an expensive rubber.  Cheap 729 will be ok.  If you want to spend more, something like Sriver FX was actually designed to be used with glue and I notice they still sell it.  Plain regular Mark V also works great.  With speed glue it is pretty much Tenergy.

Date Posted: 12/19/2014 at 10:32am
Thanks for the tips. I build golf clubs for a hobby so I have a decent work space with proper ventilation and protective gear, etc.

I actually have some new gear on the way for Christmas to my self, might give the glue a shot on the H3N I am using now once I get my new blade/rubber.

-------------
Tibhar SPW

Date Posted: 12/19/2014 at 3:50pm
I hope I find that on local stores here and give it a shot.

-------------
Regiz°ᆗ
°°°°

Posted By: rocketscientist
Date Posted: 12/19/2014 at 8:33pm
Hard to say!

Date Posted: 12/20/2014 at 2:50pm

:(

-------------
Regiz°ᆗ
°°°°

Date Posted: 12/20/2014 at 2:52pm
Any O'Reilly auto parts will probably stock it or can order it and have it in a day or two.

-------------
Tibhar SPW

Date Posted: 12/20/2014 at 4:43pm
I think you can even get it or something like it on Amazon.

Posted By: john18
Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 9:16am
I have a question. If you use speed glue just to attach the rubbers to the blade just once (the first time). Will that affect the rubbers if we wait few days with the rubbers on the blade ? In others words, can we use speed glue like normal VOC glue just to assemble the bat and play normally after the effects are gone after few days ?
Thanks.

Posted By: TT newbie
Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 9:53am
Originally posted by john18 john18 wrote:

I have a question. If you use speed glue just to attach the rubbers to the blade just once (the first time). Will that affect the rubbers if we wait few days with the rubbers on the blade ? In others words, can we use speed glue like normal VOC glue just to assemble the bat and play normally after the effects are gone after few days ?
Thanks.

Posted By: john18
Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 10:02am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Ok, thanks for you answer ! :)

Posted By: 42andbackpains
Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 4:40pm
Great Post....increasingly hard to order Haifu speed glue from Asia. Lem Oil, i definitely will try if i cant get Haifu speed glue anymore. 

-------------
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down

Posted By: Pondus
Date Posted: 03/25/2015 at 6:49pm

Rema Tip Top Vulcanizing Fluid was used by many high-level players back in the day... it's still magical. I have several cans of it still, but never use it anymore.

Link:  http://www.rematiptop.com/parts.php?sid=2" rel="nofollow - http://www.rematiptop.com/parts.php?sid=2

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Pondus Pondus wrote:

Rema Tip Top Vulcanizing Fluid was used by many high-level players back in the day... it's still magical. I have several cans of it still, but never use it anymore.

Link:  http://www.rematiptop.com/parts.php?sid=2" rel="nofollow - http://www.rematiptop.com/parts.php?sid=2

Funny and what a coinky dink...i was talking to my coach last week and we were reminiscing about the good old days and he brought up Tip Top. Tip Top was used alot by the higher rated players....and made that huge explosion hitting sound that the whole play area can hear it.....Big smile

-------------
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
BH Butterfly T05 Red

Posted By: sandiway
Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 3:10pm
Don't people have some stock of new-old-stock (sealed, unopened) speed glue?
(I have unopened stuff from the 38mm era. I'm sure I'm not the only one.)

You could use the real thing.

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 10:43pm
Haifu speed glues have whimpy effects compared to any of these vulcanizing fluids, which were the original stuff discovered by Hungarians.  If you want to see the REAL speed glue effect, use the stuff Pondus mentions here, or the stuff I mentioned further up thread.  (They are basically the same thing).  Back when speed glue was legal, I tried some of that Haifu stuff and it just didn't do much compared to what I was used to.  That's not to say it is useless, by current standards we would think it is pretty powerful.  But back in the day we were using some pretty nasty speed glues on rubbers like Mark V, Sriver, Speedy Spin and of course, Bryce FX.  You needed that kind of rocket fuel to get those rubbers to perform.  IN other words, this stuff pretty much IS the real thing.

Remember, you need to remove the rubber and reglue it each time you play.  Do it in a ventilated space, out doors maybe.

Date Posted: 03/26/2015 at 10:50pm

So I mixed:
Rubber cement 30%

Baby oil 10%

Nope.  Not nail polish remover.  Better with lighter fluid.  I am not kidding.  That was another alternative some people used vulcanizing fluid (my preference).  Some people would dilute rubber cement with lighter fluid, about 50-50.  Forget the baby oil.  Febreeze is ok.  Forget the nail polish remover, acetone is not a great additive (we tried it).

Posted By: Clarence247
Date Posted: 03/27/2015 at 12:01am

Yep, that's the stuff (although I never used that particular brand).  Some on blade, some on rubber, let dry, should take about 5 minutes, stick it on, play.  Crazy stuff.  Use it in a well ventilated space.  Don't use it on a an expensive rubber.  Cheap 729 will be ok.  If you want to spend more, something like Sriver FX was actually designed to be used with glue and I notice they still sell it.  Plain regular Mark V also works great.  With speed glue it is pretty much Tenergy.

It is interesting that you compare the Speed glued Sriver FX (or Mark V) to Tenergy. I think you meant as good as.... 

However, the rubber properties are still very different from what I can deduce - for example Tenergy has an extreme grippy top sheet -  together with the spring sponge it grabs the ball and generates enormous spin, and allows for easy 3rd ball attack vs underspin.

Sriver FX glue would accomplish the same but in a different way - the top sheet is not as grippy (therefore the top sheet itself not as spinny) - however, the Sriver sponge when glued softens, expands and allows air mollecules in - essentially becoming a very springy sponge and stretching the topsheet which becomes very reactive. 

This to me would mean that on medium / high velocity shots where the sponge is activated intense spin can be generated, but on touch shots, the Sriver FX glued should be less reactive to incoming spin and have better placement because the topsheet is not as grippy.

I am not sure about this - would you agree Baal ? 

I have been curious for a long time as to whether the properly glued classics were better than Tenergy and others we have now. 

For some reason there are some areas (touch, control, ability to handle incoming spin, variation of play, short game, and even possibly play far away from the table) I remember classics as being better. However, the game now has become more aggressive than before, backhand receives are a lot more aggressive, and general play too....it seems that what newer rubbers lack, they then make up for in some way and lead to a more attacking game in general.... then again maybe the game has become more aggressive because we cannot conceal the service anymore, and therefore the opponent can receive more aggressively from the 2nd ball....

-------------
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP

Date Posted: 03/27/2015 at 12:20am
Clarence, I would like to give a smart answer.  What you write sound reasonable enough, as usual. 

The problem is that I haven't played with any properly speed glued rubber since about 2008.  I have probably forgotten the details of what it was like.  I know speed glued Bryice felt good, it was more than fast enough (Mark V was too if you glued it heavily) and it was spinny and loud.  I don't actually know that if I tried it know whether I would still like it!  I always thought Mark V had a pretty grippy natural rubber topsheet, but I honestly haven't looked at one lately and compared it to Tenergy.  APW46 might remember more about this. 

What I was thinking when I wrote that, based on what I remember, it that the closest thing ever to a modern Tenergy was old speed glued plain Mark V.  But like I say, memory is fallible.

Bear in mind that back then, one's choice of rubber wasn't quite so critical because with glue, everything became kind of similar.

I really like Tenergy now, I am very accustomed to it.

Date Posted: 03/28/2015 at 7:01pm
So if i put 25% Tip Top + 25% Haifu Speed Glue + 25% Naptha + 25% Lem-Oil= Super Speed Glue??? And pretreat the Rubber with 2 to 3 layers of Seamoon......Muah Muahhhhhhh...The Dr. Frankenstein in me cant help but try this concoction.....Would i destroy my H3 Neo prov. or would just make the rubber too uncontrollable? Never hurts to try LOL

-------------
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
BH Butterfly T05 Red

Date Posted: 03/28/2015 at 7:27pm
Nothing would be stronger than pure Tip Top.

Date Posted: 03/29/2015 at 2:48pm

I'd still might try it....Hee Hee Big smile

-------------
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
BH Butterfly T05 Red

Posted By: chop4ever
Date Posted: 03/29/2015 at 7:00pm

you're right, but we can make it last much more longer by mixing with good thin booster
and, more important, pros need to pass VOCs test but having consistent VOC affect rubbers.

-------------
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster

Date Posted: 03/29/2015 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by chop4ever chop4ever wrote:

you're right, but we can make it last much more longer by mixing with good thin booster
and, more important, pros need to pass VOCs test but having consistent VOC affect rubbers.

Do you mean you could apply tip top over for example a layer of Falco? I doubt it, it would only have an effect for 2/3 and then dissipate as normal. 

Back in the day when using the glue, we used to seal the head of the bat in sort of vacuum bag (looked like platic foil) that way we could glue the night before playing and the effect was good. I never saw any other attempt to make the effect last longer which actually worked (until millenium chack or smthing similar came out which had an effect for 4 days or so)

-------------
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP

Date Posted: 03/29/2015 at 7:31pm
Rubber glued with Tip Top would never pass a test unless the machine is broken. Trust me on this. Birds flying overhead get dizzy. Mixing it with oil wont help.

Trust me. I used that kind of stuff for years and its a miracle i have any brain cells left. If you are trying this its just for the fun of it. Partying like its 1999 so to speak. Dont try it in a tournament.

Date Posted: 03/29/2015 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by chop4ever chop4ever wrote:

pros need to pass VOCs test but having consistent VOC affect rubbers.

Totally agree with Baal. Forget passing any test if even a drop of Tip Top (or any other older stuff) gets into contact with your rubber.

-------------
OSP Virtuoso (Off-)
MX-P (Max)
Mantra M (Max)

Backup:
Yasaka Extra Offensive,
Nittaku H3 Prov
729-802 SP

Date Posted: 03/29/2015 at 8:06pm
Please correct me, if the VOC solvents make speed glued rubber illegal, is there any threshold that Tip Top can still have affect but the VOC test is lower than ITTF allowance?

You stated that Tip Top is very fast evaporated, why don't we keep it ventilate for a while and then seal or trap VOC inside the rubber by any thin booster? Have anyone tried it before?

-------------
Falco is not a booster

Posted By: smackman
Date Posted: 03/29/2015 at 8:15pm
Stop cheating you only have to hit a tiny ball a couple of metres
 I remember those smelly days players using different products at the eating tables
gives me a head ache thinking about it lol

-------------
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website

Date Posted: 03/29/2015 at 8:16pm

Rubber glued with Tip Top would never pass a test unless the machine is broken. Trust me on this. Birds flying overhead get dizzy. Mixing it with oil wont help.

Trust me. I used that kind of stuff for years and its a miracle i have any brain cells left. If you are trying this its just for the fun of it. Partying like its 1999 so to speak. Dont try it in a tournament.

I didn't say I mixed them into one bottle. I've started playing pingpong before speed glue has banned and I couldn't forget that kind of feeling. In China we still using speed glue because there is no ITTF VOCs test in a lower tournament. So people need an ideal of long last speed glue, booster is expensive and inconvenient.

-------------
Falco is not a booster

Date Posted: 03/29/2015 at 9:07pm
If you are not going to be tested, and don't care about the rules, why not just glue each time you play the way we did in the old days? 

The other thing I need to emphasize is that tip top (and all other vulcanizing agents) and the oldest speed glues have an incredibly high level of VOCs in them.  More than was in the glues you could buy from TT companies from about 2003 (or maybe 2001??) onward.  There is no way anyone could use even a small amount of it now and escape detection in any ITTF event or national event with testing. 

But if you want the largest possible speed glue effect that you can get, that is the stuff you want.

smackman is right about the smell, sometimes I think it's amazing the whole gym didn't just explode.

Date Posted: 03/29/2015 at 9:17pm
The answer from organic chemistry is that the booster (a somewhat viscous but very non-polar substance such as paraffin) will not trap the highly non-polar VOCs from the speed glue in the sponge.  The VOCs will be freely soluble in the booster, will very rapidly diffuse through it, and from there to the air.  My guess is that it might slow the escape to the air but only very slightly.  That much I am sure about.  At the same time, it is quite likely that the booster might actually reduce some of the speed glue effect of the vulcanizing agent (although I am less sure about that).

Date Posted: 03/29/2015 at 9:24pm

If you are not going to be tested, and don't care about the rules, why not just glue each time you play the way we did in the old days? 

The other thing I need to emphasize is that tip top (and all other vulcanizing agents) and the oldest speed glues have an incredibly high level of VOCs in them.  More than was in the glues you could buy from TT companies from about 2003 (or maybe 2001??) onward.  There is no way anyone could use even a small amount of it now and escape detection in any ITTF event or national event with testing. 

But if you want the largest possible speed glue effect that you can get, that is the stuff you want.

smackman is right about the smell, sometimes I think it's amazing the whole gym didn't just explode.

When people get use of booster and WB glue, they are a bit lazy like me ;)
And I also don't want to be dizzy and buzzed every time I reglue the rubber.
Ideally, speed glue affect and lasting long a week or so, is my aim. Haifu II speed glue is too weak and it isn't worth to keep for a week. I need a super powerful SG combine to long last booster, Dianchi for example.

-------------
Falco is not a booster

Date Posted: 03/29/2015 at 9:32pm
On my first ever visit to Beijing, in 2007, my wife arranged for me to hit with a coach. I'm not sure what she told him but he looked kind of annoyed when he arrived and saw some American guy he was supposed to play with (or maybe it was just the traffic he had to deal with, we couldn't speak each other's language, so I am just guessing).  He grabbed a paddle from his bag and we started hitting.  After about 30 seconds, he paid me a compliment -- he said he had to stop so he could glue up.  He had some sort of Haifu stuff, which didn't smell much.  To be social, I went with him and glued up also, using his glue.  I remember it was weak compared to what I was used to (in those days I usually used something called Tibhar Rapid Clean, or something like that, or vulcanizing fluid because I could buy it at auto parts stores for cheap). 

You are right, the smell is awful and I am glad to be done with it, and it can't be healthy.

I think if there had been a way to really extend it's effects back in the day, someone would have found it.  People experimented a lot with all sorts of things (which is how I know, for example, that acetone, i.e. nail polish remover, doesn't work very well.) 

Posted By: igorponger
Date Posted: 03/30/2015 at 1:30am
most of China nationality is bound to go degraded soon. They still using adhesiv compositions with TOLUENE, the devilish mortal chemical known.

Posted By: Leftyy
Date Posted: 03/30/2015 at 5:25pm

I think it was worth it, the feeling and sound you got from it, I really miss it. I also miss the social thing about it when you on tournaments could chat with all different kind of persons in the gluing room before matches. But of course it had its negative things too, almost like smoking haha. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net