Print Page | Close Window

Butterfly IF T5000,IF ALC,IF ZLC,TB ZLC,ZJK S-ZLC

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64812
Printed Date: 05/05/2024 at 6:27pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Butterfly IF T5000,IF ALC,IF ZLC,TB ZLC,ZJK S-ZLC
Posted By: assiduous
Subject: Butterfly IF T5000,IF ALC,IF ZLC,TB ZLC,ZJK S-ZLC
Date Posted: 01/28/2014 at 9:56pm
I wanted to do my own comparison of the BTY high end blades. Its been an unnecessarily long journey (thanks frogger and bluebucket for sending me the wrong way) from slow, soft and flexy to fast, stiff and hard.

The first blade I stuck with was Primorac. Four of them, sold all here. I want to apologize to everyone who has read my recommendation of that blade. I was sincere and did not know any better. If you have ANY AMBITION in this sport, pass on this blade. Strong vibration and very slow recovery that results with heavy loss of control on power shots. 

Then I got a Korbel from a dude in Israel. Soft, but a little stiffer at the neck. Better control on power shots. I thought that was good enough until I tried other stuff.

Got a Clipper wood from another member and an IF ALC from japan. The blades were in opposite directions in terms of control. My Clipper was faster but very difficult for me to control, super frikkin bouncy but not in a good way. IF ALC was a new experience for me. It immediately straightened the flight path in looping. It was totally different from all wood limba blades before, incomparable in control.

However I still had weak shots, overly brushing everything, no real power. And IF ALC is seriously stiff. It is softish, but will not flex at the neck. That made brushing difficult for me, and I did not like the feel of it, and did not stop on it for too long, despite the great control.

Next I got a TBS from a friend and a IF ZLC from Japan. TBS was even further in the direction of IF ALC --> even better control, but on top of the stiffness, that one was hard as well. Could not do my bad brushy shots with it and did not use it much. The IF ZLC felt weird. It will flex but will not vibrate like a wood blade. Zylon makes for very fast recovery. Brushing was still kind of hard, but I had incredible victories int he very first week so I decided to stick with it. Little by little the blade forced me to open my paddle and go through the ball more. I started converting bigger and bigger % of my power to speed vs spin. You have to. However learning more direct shots opened another can of worms. I started liking my TBS and IF ALC more and more. The stiffness did not bother me that much any more, and they both had better control than the IF ZLC on power shots.

One day I borrowed my friends TB ZLC at the club and won 19 consecutive points right off the start (11:0 and 8:0 in second before I lost a point). Found it HARD and STIFF. And AWESOME. Thats what she said. Same night I ordered one from TT-Japan and bought a second from a member.

When I got the first TB ZLC, i got shocked by how uncomfortable the ST handle is and cancelled the one from japan. However for first time in my journey I was sure I am ready to divorce with my beloved LIMBA. I was swearing by limba until then. Limba limba limba, didn't even look at anything else. Hinoki bouncy, koto hard. Limba good, me like.

But not any more. Decided to jump for the ZJK SZLC, just because i didn't know any other koto ZLC blade. Was sure the feel would be the same. No it was not, it was soft. Almost like hinoki. I do not understand the physics behind it, but there is a major difference with TB ZLC. However just as stiff, perhaps a little stiffer, so power loops are the real lazer. I know I said that for IF ZLC back in the day, and compared to Korbel, IF ZLC is a laser, but it is too flexy to be a power blade. IF ZLC is a control and finesse blade.

Along the way I got a IF T5000, well after I had decided i don't want any more limba, but I had played with all other IF family blades, so i wanted to get the full picture. Its very nice. I would hate it back in the day, but if I have to pick one today, that would be my choice. Very stiff, and easily the fastest in the series, not any slower I think that the ZJK SZLC and TB ZLC. Looping is actually quite easy because of the super soft feel of the blade. T 5000 is the softest feel in the family. Perhaps thats an illusion. But its really soft despite being stiff. 

Well that was more of a story than comparison, but will do some strict comparison in the next few posts.

https://imageshack.com/i/myoa4yj" rel="nofollow">

-------------
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out

Replies:
Date Posted: 01/28/2014 at 9:56pm
I wish I could help people who are considering which of these to go for. I dont want to repeat much of whats been said a 1000 times and what I don't find so important. Small differences in speed are very unimportant to me. Who cares if speed is 2% lower? I get more variance than that based on what glue and how many layers I put. Add the rubbers, and you can get a quite different picture. To me TBS, IF ALC, IF ZLC, IF ULC (not mine but a friend from the club owns it and ive played regularly with it)  are all in the same speed range, close enough, adequate speed, but not fast. TB ZLC, ZJK Szlc, IF T5000, Amultart ZLC, Photino ZLC are fast blades. And they are all stiff. There is no other way with fast blades. If they flex, the ball will fly all over the place. But digressing again.

Here is how I think people should make their choice. 

If you are ambitious and trust you can improve on your own or yet better take lessons, don't go for LIMBA blades. If you are good already, dont go for limba blades, and consequently pass on ANY Innerfoce blade. That also presides on the assumption that you have open paddle strokes, but good players have already figured that brushing and messing with spin is not gona take u far against good opps. You can only add spin ON TOP of the speed, like Zhang The Jike! If you are in this paragraph, go for TBS or TB ALC if you prefer a little slower with maximum control on this planet earth. TBS feels a little better because its thinner, but they basically the same. If you need the extra zing to penetrate stubborn defense but still keep control as much as possible, got from KOTO ALC to KOTO ZLC. TB and ZJK ZLC(s) are faster. However Zylon is flexier than arylate, and control is a hair lower, just a hair. And if your game absolutely relies on power go for ZLC HINOKI. Koto will hold you back from the very top of the speed range. However you will suffer another hair or two down in control.

-------------
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out

Date Posted: 01/28/2014 at 9:57pm
If you rely on brushing and for some reason don't think  you will be changing your strokes and game in the future I highly recommend an Innerforce blade for you. There is really no reason to go with a wood limba blade if you can afford a composite, none. Even price is not an excuse. Blade price is the lowest cost in this game. You change rubbers several times a year, club fees, tournament fees and expenses, and blade you buy once per many years (if you get the right one from the start).

The following sequence of Innerforce blades is from the easiest for brushing to the highest in control. To me ease in brushing is directly and inversely correlated with control. You need SOFT and/or FLEXY for brushing, and both of those properties WILL COST YOU CONTROL. Keep in mind that all of these blades are limba, so they are relatively soft already, even the hardest. 

brushing: IF ZLF --> IF ZLC -- > IF AL --> IF ALC --> IF T5000 --> IF ULC : control.

Still, all of these will have better control than ANY wood limba blade. Primorac, Korbel, Clipper, Maximus, K5 and the other all limba blades are just not as stable as their composite heirs. 

-------------

Posted By: puppy412
Date Posted: 01/28/2014 at 10:11pm
this message position is for sale, contact me by pm.

Posted By: the_theologian
Date Posted: 01/28/2014 at 11:07pm
assiduous,

I'm not agreeing with all the conclusions but I'm enjoying the read. And I certainly appreciate your sincerity... I need to throw in the towel on quoting you in reference to the W-6 and other blades. I'd say that horse is dead. Btw it seems like maybe you're up late smoking the good stuff tonight.

puppy412,

that's hilarious

-------------
Appelgren Allplay ST / Vega Europe max

Posted By: slevin
Date Posted: 01/29/2014 at 11:13am
I read through all of your 3 posts from start to finish

Good, sincere exposition of your POV. Invaluable read for a BTY blade buyer.

Of course, there are pros who successfully use Clipper, Limba blades, etc.

I think that IF-ZLC speed is more like that of the TB-ZLC / MJ.

Also: so, in your opinion, (& pardon my English here) does the SZLC offer substantially more anything than the TB-ZLC?

-------------
Trade feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787

Date Posted: 01/29/2014 at 11:31am
Super ZLC is very different than TB ZLC in feel. It is immediately obvious. Looping is noticeably easier with Szlc, at least the brushing opening loop.. Szlc is easier to open with. Once you get a rally going they are both fantastic but the STILL feel very different. I have not played with a blade like Szlc, don't know what to compare it with. Every time I hit with it I think 'i cannot believe this is a koto blade' . Maybe I should write BTY and ask them about it. BTW, BTY themselves say that the blade has medium feel, not hard. 
These two blades are very different, if you like the feel of one, you will not like the feel of the other. 

-------------

Date Posted: 01/29/2014 at 11:41am
as for some pros using all wood limba blades, I acknowledge that, although I believe a pro will only get the high quality one, harder and with better control than average commercial stock. But that means nothing.. sometimes people just like what they have and don't care. Look, you can find people with PhD in Mathematics and Physics that believe that stuff in the bibles is true. Rare, but I have seen some. That doesn't give any legitimacy to the historical inaccuracies or absurd scientific claims or promotion of submissive behavior or all the other bs that the bibles have. Such people are not something extraordinary. They are to be expected in every normal distribution. The elite players still overwhelmingly adopt some kind of a composite blade, and there is a reason for that.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/29/2014 at 11:43am
Thanks. From Butterfly's description of the new ZJK vanilla ZLC:

• A model with ZL-Carbon; powerful attack as well as the soft feeling are major features, high reaction force and flexibility is possible.

So, perhaps this is due to changes in the ZJK series design other than just the composite material used...

-------------
Trade feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787

Posted By: ttping85
Date Posted: 01/30/2014 at 6:40pm
Great review! As a Butterfly fan I have tested all these blades too. It's really fun. I immediately abandoned all non-carbon blades with only arylate or zylon fiber because too much focused on generating spin, but not enough speed. Then I abandoned the T5000 blades because too much speed, lack of control and lack of ability to generate spin versus the composite ones. Then I abandoned all ZLC blades because even though they were efficient I didn't like the feel, except Mizutani which is my current blade. I still own all ALC blades and the Super ZLC. I like their feel better than the Mizutani but somehow it's the one I am most efficient in forehand power loops (my dominant way to play). Super ZLC is also nice but from time to time I like to brush loop and one this one the Mizutani is clearly better for me. I am waiting desperately for the Mizutani SZLC with limba outers to come out!!! But for my backhand all ALC blades are better for me because they are just easier to play with, are a bit slower and are bit more forgiving. All this is really necessary because my backhand technique is really far away from my forehand one (french old school style) and no matter how hard I try this technique is quite fixed after more than 20 years of playing...

Maybe I should get custom blade from Butterfly if they are ready to make a blade with different construction on each side. 

-------------
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk

Date Posted: 01/30/2014 at 8:16pm
I did it.
I read all the 3 posts.

my view after all these years is that basically all the equipment is the same LOL
really, I could play with any blade or rubber and I would play practically the same.

the only reason why every now and then I still buy equipment is basically because it's fun.

Date Posted: 01/30/2014 at 10:04pm
yesterday i beat for first time a 1900 with nasty illegal serve ( i gave up trying to get him to toss). 

I yelled so hard after the last point that even my boy ZJK would crack a smile and give me a nod. Once before I was up 2:1 and 10:7 in game 4 and lost 5 match points and then the whole match. He tried to pull of the exact same scenario again but came a lil short and I took a 3:1 win. 

I am telling you, everybody has been coming to examine my paddle last week. I haven't gotten a comment from my opponents like ' wow so spiny', or 'so fast!', but people are surprised that I keep coming after a couple of good blocks. I have one of the best opening loops in the club at any rating, but my consistency immediately drops after that. Good players are used to just blocking me to corners and waiting for me to fade away and lose it. 

This Szlc really has fantastic control. I just wish it had a better feel. I still cant get used to it. Very stiff and yet soft. Its like im playing with styrofoam 

-------------

Date Posted: 01/30/2014 at 10:08pm
By the way, despite stiffness, and hard Rhyzm on BH, ZJK opening very strong with that paddle. I looped almost everything from everywhere. Drove that guy mad.. he's used to winning, not losing points on his serve. Once you learn to make good contact with the ball you realize soft rubbers don't really help in opening loop. Yes, you get more dwell, but the soft versions always have lower throw, which hurts. That's why T05 opens easier than T05 FX, and reg Rhyzm (now) opens easier for me than the Rhyzm 425 that virtually the whole club uses on BH.

-------------

Posted By: viktorovich
Date Posted: 01/31/2014 at 3:32am
 assiduous wrote: Super ZLC is very different than TB ZLC in feel.It is immediately obvious.Looping is noticeably easier with Szlc, at least the brushing opening loop..Szlc is easier to open with.

Hinoki - is somewhere between Limba and Koto.
Probably, the best of two worlds (the brushing opening loop and powerloop) will be : Hinoki + composite ( for example : Xiom Zetro Quad,Joola Rosskopf Emotion) .Your opinion ? Thanks.

Date Posted: 01/31/2014 at 3:51am
yes hinoki + composite is great for brushing and powerloop. My former blade was Iolite and it is simply amazing for this. The problem is as assiduous mentioned the lack of control. if you play with JRE you have plenty of control and it's great for brushing but for powerloops you better chose a powerful rubber like Joola Rhyzm. Zetro Quad is in between Iolite and JRE. 

-------------
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk

Date Posted: 01/31/2014 at 10:43am
Is that true?? Is there hinoki in Szlc? It does feel like it, and I compared it to XZQ myself, and thats the hollow feeling I don't like. I don't understand what all this commotion about the feel of hinoki is. I HATE hinoki FEEL. It is so... not captive. Anti-limba. 

-------------

Date Posted: 01/31/2014 at 10:52am
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

Is that true?? Is there hinoki in Szlc? It does feel like it

Interesting. And when you initially described the SZLC (soft, hollow, good dwell for opening loop, stiff and powerful from mid-distance & you don't like the feel of the blade) I thought that that description would probably fit a Photino (another hinoki composite)...

-------------
Trade feedback:

Posted By: Carryboy
Date Posted: 01/31/2014 at 11:57am
That was a nice read assiduous, totally enjoyed it!!

-------------
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max

Date Posted: 01/31/2014 at 12:44pm
By the way: a small addendum on the initial info on blades regarding the new ALC one:

ZJK-ALC is definitely like Viscaria instead of like the TB-ALC. It seems to have bouncy, vibrating balsa as it's core instead of the steady kiri of the TB-ALC. Additionally, because of it's larger handle, most strokes with ZJK-ALC are faster than they are with the Viscaria.

But as always: performance of ALC blades is very piece & weight dependent - I'd always recommend choosing a heavier weight in this ALC family as opposed to a lighter one.

-------------
Trade feedback:

Date Posted: 01/31/2014 at 1:11pm
SZLC has koto outers as all ZJK blades. 

Viscaria with a balsa core is an urban legend which started from a mistake of butterflyonline...

-------------

Date Posted: 01/31/2014 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by ttping85 ttping85 wrote:

Viscaria with a balsa core is an urban legend which started from a mistake of butterflyonline...

I'll assume you're right (you've probably played with more ALC blades than I have & your 'For Sale' blade list would put any EJ to shame while simultaneously making him feel good for not being the worst offender around LOL). BTW: any (translated) quote from a BTY japanese website confirming this (though I assume that they are quiet on wood composition of their blades)?

That's what I think when I look at the core of TB-ALC vs Viscaria. However, my 2 TB-ALCs & prior TBS feel a bit absorptive, no vibrations and no flex. My 2 Viscarias & the ZJK-ALC feel and sound different - they have some vibration, some flex and seem more bouncy. And they have a slightly more high-pitched sound.

Perhaps, it is co-incidently piece-dependent...

-------------
Trade feedback:

Date Posted: 02/04/2014 at 7:15pm
assiduous,

Which blade are you settling on, ZJK-SZLC or TB-ZLC?

-------------

Date Posted: 02/04/2014 at 8:20pm
To be honest, as far as pleasure playing the blade, TB ZLC is like 9 out of 10, and S-zlc is negative 5. Negative, because it is in the opposite direction. But I have changed my mind before, so I am wondering if I can get used to it. Perhaps its because i never play hinoki, but to me the feel is like playing with a block of Styrofoam. And performance is very good as I said many times, so its just that feel. 

I am not settled yet, but eventually will sell one of them and buy a second of the other, so I use the same blade at work and at the club. 

-------------

Posted By: zeio
Date Posted: 02/04/2014 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

I'll assume you're right (you've probably played with more ALC blades than I have & your 'For Sale' blade list would put any EJ to shame while simultaneously making him feel good for not being the worst offender around LOL). BTW: any (translated) quote from a BTY japanese website confirming this (though I assume that they are quiet on wood composition of their blades)?

I'm not aware of any official description of the core, but there are at least two Japanese sources pointing to kiri as the core material.

Quote http://ameblo.jp/quadgroove/entry-11599253901.html" rel="nofollow - ビスカリア      コト、ALC、リンバ、桐(Viscaria Koto/ALC/Limba/Kiri)

Quote http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1086359795" rel="nofollow - 合板構成は上板がコト、特殊繊維がアリレートカーボン、添え芯がアユース、中芯が桐。(Blade composition is Koto top ply, Arylate Carbon synthetic fiber, Ayous auxiliary ply, and Kiri core.)

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 12:30am

To be honest, as far as pleasure playing the blade, TB ZLC is like 9 out of 10, and S-zlc is negative 5. Negative, because it is in the opposite direction. But I have changed my mind before, so I am wondering if I can get used to it. Perhaps its because i never play hinoki, but to me the feel is like playing with a block of Styrofoam. And performance is very good as I said many times, so its just that feel. 

I am not settled yet, but eventually will sell one of them and buy a second of the other, so I use the same blade at work and at the club. 

I'll be curious to see what you settle on. Btw, remind me if you've tried Maze

-------------

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 12:59am
never played Maze or Mizutani

-------------

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 4:22am
Maze or Mizutani are a must try if you like limba outer plies. 

But I still don't understand why you talk about hinoki when you talk about the S-ZLC. It has no hinoki in its composition. 

-------------

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 9:45am
well something makes it feel not solid.

I never got a mizutani because the carbon is outside by the fist layer. I thought thats a recipe for blocking, and not looping. Now I am selling all my limba stuff anyway, so i guess its too late.

-------------

Posted By: lineup32
Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 10:01am

I wanted to do my own comparison of the BTY high end blades. Its been an unnecessarily long journey (thanks frogger and bluebucket for sending me the wrong way) from slow, soft and flexy to fast, stiff and hard.

The first blade I stuck with was Primorac. Four of them, sold all here. I want to apologize to everyone who has read my recommendation of that blade. I was sincere and did not know any better. If you have ANY AMBITION in this sport, pass on this blade. Strong vibration and very slow recovery that results with heavy loss of control on power shots. 

Then I got a Korbel from a dude in Israel. Soft, but a little stiffer at the neck. Better control on power shots. I thought that was good enough until I tried other stuff.

Got a Clipper wood from another member and an IF ALC from japan. The blades were in opposite directions in terms of control. My Clipper was faster but very difficult for me to control, super frikkin bouncy but not in a good way. IF ALC was a new experience for me. It immediately straightened the flight path in looping. It was totally different from all wood limba blades before, incomparable in control.

However I still had weak shots, overly brushing everything, no real power. And IF ALC is seriously stiff. It is softish, but will not flex at the neck. That made brushing difficult for me, and I did not like the feel of it, and did not stop on it for too long, despite the great control.

Next I got a TBS from a friend and a IF ZLC from Japan. TBS was even further in the direction of IF ALC --> even better control, but on top of the stiffness, that one was hard as well. Could not do my bad brushy shots with it and did not use it much. The IF ZLC felt weird. It will flex but will not vibrate like a wood blade. Zylon makes for very fast recovery. Brushing was still kind of hard, but I had incredible victories int he very first week so I decided to stick with it. Little by little the blade forced me to open my paddle and go through the ball more. I started converting bigger and bigger % of my power to speed vs spin. You have to. However learning more direct shots opened another can of worms. I started liking my TBS and IF ALC more and more. The stiffness did not bother me that much any more, and they both had better control than the IF ZLC on power shots.

One day I borrowed my friends TB ZLC at the club and won 19 consecutive points right off the start (11:0 and 8:0 in second before I lost a point). Found it HARD and STIFF. And AWESOME. Thats what she said. Same night I ordered one from TT-Japan and bought a second from a member.

When I got the first TB ZLC, i got shocked by how uncomfortable the ST handle is and cancelled the one from japan. However for first time in my journey I was sure I am ready to divorce with my beloved LIMBA. I was swearing by limba until then. Limba limba limba, didn't even look at anything else. Hinoki bouncy, koto hard. Limba good, me like.

But not any more. Decided to jump for the ZJK SZLC, just because i didn't know any other koto ZLC blade. Was sure the feel would be the same. No it was not, it was soft. Almost like hinoki. I do not understand the physics behind it, but there is a major difference with TB ZLC. However just as stiff, perhaps a little stiffer, so power loops are the real lazer. I know I said that for IF ZLC back in the day, and compared to Korbel, IF ZLC is a laser, but it is too flexy to be a power blade. IF ZLC is a control and finesse blade.

Along the way I got a IF T5000, well after I had decided i don't want any more limba, but I had played with all other IF family blades, so i wanted to get the full picture. Its very nice. I would hate it back in the day, but if I have to pick one today, that would be my choice. Very stiff, and easily the fastest in the series, not any slower I think that the ZJK SZLC and TB ZLC. Looping is actually quite easy because of the super soft feel of the blade. T 5000 is the softest feel in the family. Perhaps thats an illusion. But its really soft despite being stiff. 

Well that was more of a story than comparison, but will do some strict comparison in the next few posts.

https://imageshack.com/i/myoa4yj" rel="nofollow">

Interesting journey,I have never been in a modern day blade manufacturing operation in Japan but expect that it is world class and produces the best possible commercial grade available not taking anything away from Chinese manufacturing but Japan has always been very strong in its manufacturing know how.  The issue of different wood and composite blades makes for many creative possibilities but I was thinking about baseball and how at the professional level they still use wood bats but lower level play are allowed to use metal as it gives the less gifted or young players a chance to hit the ball further.   

Posted By: dabookerman
Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 10:25am

Maze or Mizutani are a must try if you like limba outer plies. 

But I still don't understand why you talk about hinoki when you talk about the S-ZLC. It has no hinoki in its composition. 

+1 on the Maze

-------------
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

Posted By: GraemeW
Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 10:48am

The first blade I stuck with was Primorac. Four of them, sold all here. I want to apologize to everyone who has read my recommendation of that blade. I was sincere and did not know any better. If you have ANY AMBITION in this sport, pass on this blade.

Here is how I think people should make their choice. 

If you are ambitious and trust you can improve on your own or yet better take lessons, don't go for LIMBA blades. If you are good already, dont go for limba blades ...

There is really no reason to go with a wood limba blade if you can afford a composite, none. Even price is not an excuse.

brushing: IF ZLF --> IF ZLC -- > IF AL --> IF ALC --> IF T5000 --> IF ULC : control.

Still, all of these will have better control than ANY wood limba blade. Primorac, Korbel, Clipper, Maximus, K5 and the other all limba blades are just not as stable as their composite heirs. 

I've read some nonsense on this forum over the years, but this is right up there with the most ill-informed. I realise that you are passionate about your EJ quest through the various Butterfly composite blades, however to dismiss Limba as a blade material in the way that you do just defies all logic and common sense, not to mention the accumulated experience of very many strong players over the years and still active today. I can think of one player straight off the top of my head who was World 30-50 for many years and played with nothing but a Primorac. Having trained in Hungary with top Austrian, German and Hungarian players I can assure you that many play with all wood blades, or at most a TBS or TB ALC, for a very good reason. And that is without touch and control over the table you won't get near hitting bombs from far back once you a playing against a higher level of player.

I'm glad you are so enthusiastic about the game, love your S-ZLC (although I'm not clear that this is still your blade) and that you managed to beat a 1900 player. But seriously, no piece of equipment beats hard training and the development of "good hands". All the best.

-------------
Butterfly Korbel ST
Red FH: BTY Tenergy T80 1.9mm
Black BH: TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 11:07am
also you should try other brands to make it more fun.
try some donic, their hollow handles are cool.
also try at least one yasaka, tibhar.
try one ply hinoki.
of course stiga.
long way to go if you want to become the master of ejs!!!!

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 11:14am
more power to your friends who can handle a primorac. its not easy to play away from the table with that one.
Limba blades have the best feel out there and its not surprising they have so many fans. I can totally understand that because i remember how I felt. Limba also makes spinning the ball very easy due to the great dwell time. 
But if you compare the Timo Boll family of blades with the Innerforce family, and go apples to apples - 5 ply wood, ALC, ZLC, etc..  The Timo Boll blade of the same kind will ALWAYS have better control than the Innerforce blade. It will always be STIFFER and HARDER. 
Why is this so hard for people to embrace? 
The ball is propelled with a blade whose surface deforms from the contact, and additionally the entire structure flexes at the neck. It is physically a must that the deformation and flex will affect the bounce. That same deformation and flex is significantly less in koto blades and a higher control must follow from that.

So excuse me if I sound disrespectful to all of your first hand experience with people who use all wood limba blades, but I don't care very much about it. I really don't. If we are goina point fingers to who is using what, i can assure you that KOTO + Synthetic layer blades dominate the table tennis world, and certainly kill limba all-woods success, so i don't think you should be going there at all. 

-------------

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 11:41am
a final note on the Maze: I think you would like how it plays, but given that the ST handle is squarish and possibly discontinued, probably not worth a try in your case.

-------------

Posted By: AndySmith
Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 12:03pm

The Timo Boll blade of the same kind will ALWAYS have better control than the Innerforce blade. It will always be STIFFER and HARDER. 

Because it's just your opinion, and many would say it's a big leap. Well, the "control" bit of the statement is - the bit about stiffer and harder is true.

You are (and have done for a while) equating stiff/hard with better control. This might be your own personal experience, and it is true for you, but it's not universal for everyone.

Taking your example of the Primorac - I find personally that this has more control than a TBS for my game. This is because the Prim helps the areas of my game where I'm weaker, while not particularly negatively effecting my stronger areas. So, subjectively, I feel that it has more control. I keep the ball on the table for longer, make fewer mistakes, win more games.

If I use a stiff/hard blade, I find that I struggle more with the short game (bouncy, worse feel) and with looping (unforgiving). Hitting and blocking are easier, but I don't care about that (see below). Overall, I feel is has less control for me.

If I use stiff/soft, I get a bit of damping effect in the short game, a bit of extra dwell for looping, and a corresponding loss of precision in hitting and blocking. But I'm strong in hitting and blocking, so I don't feel any particular loss there, but the assistance I get with the short game and looping makes this configuration the best fit for my needs.

If I use overly flexy blades then I encounter a problem that I don't like, which is non-linear power delivery. I don't lose directional accuracy, but struggle with shot depth. But the blade is performing as designed. It flexes predictably, consistently, and it is only my unfamiliarity with flexy blades which results in me feeling a lack of "control". Other players will be used to this behaviour, and will find it useful, would dislike stiffer blades, and might say they lack "control", for whatever reason.

Control is an almost useless subjective term without a LOT of context being given about WHY a player feels the increased control. And even then it becomes an unreliable, subjective, highly personal account. So when you say "Boll series has more control than Innerforce", you're making a blanket statement. All you can really say is that YOU have more control with the Boll series, and congratulations for arriving at a stage in your playing development where that is the case. I know that I have LESS control with the Boll series from personal experience, which doesn't make them bad blades (obviously), but through years of blade purchasing I've arrived at a basic idea of what works best for me, and it's not a Boll.

-------------
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.

Posted By: robjkc
Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 12:50pm
Very well said Andy! One of the best explanations I've heard about control. A blade is just a piece of wood and has no "control" by itself but it does have properties such as stiffness, hardness, weight, etc which can be measured.  You can't look at two blades sitting on a table and say which one has more control, it all depends on the user, their level of expertise, and how much time they put into practicing. 

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=29545&KW=&PID=356337#356337" rel="nofollow - my feedback

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 1:34pm
No. Not everything is a matter of your opinion, ok? control in table tennis is the ability to deliver the ball exactly where you want to. There is absolutely zero, zero subjectivity, and it can be measured with duplicable tests very easy. Control is measured by the variance between the aim location and the actual landing location. It is a very discrete physical property, and you may not twist the laws of physics and conform them to a conclusion that you like. Control is what it is, and that is outside of your control. 

Soft flexy blades have the nice property of assisting you is slow, brushy shots, because the deformation + the flex result in increased dwell time. Also, in those flickity shots like ZJK serve return the goal is usually just to clear the net. Accuracy is really not a concern, and for that reason people confuse it with the ease of doing that shot. But the accuracy is lower just the same. If you could repeatedly do this shot with a Timo Boll blade, you would get more consistent landing locations. Although, like I said, people don't aim at particular location as that much.

See, long distance is a MAGNIFYING GLASS for control issues. Say a TB family blade has a 1 degree variance in direction in drilling the same shot over and over. And the IF family blade of the same kind has 3 degrees of variance. When you do a ZJK return, because the entire travel is 3 feet, the balls land a fraction of an inch apart. And nobody cares. But if you are 15 feet from the table and you are doing practice drills, now this 3 degrees variance in direction angle results in the ball landing a couple of feet left or right, which is the difference between you just landing it on the table, and missing the table  altogether.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 1:37pm
Its kind of similar if you want to build a sports car with good control. You need stiff suspension, low profile tires, and even required strong rigidity of the body. If tires sidewall flexes too much, or suspension travels too long, or the body bends, you lose control. 

-------------

Posted By: jt99sf
Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 1:38pm
Technique/playing level is a factor in control, not totally blade dependent.

-------------
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil

Posted By: lineup32
Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 1:50pm
Butterfly currently per TTDB has 202 blade model's!!!!!!!!! and that does not include discontinued models.  Its interesting to hear someone's experience trying different blades and hopefully for each player's financial good they are able to select a blade type which they prefer and have a strong opinion regarding its character of play.  Most likely we are all products of our training or lack of training and hope our blade has a little magic.

Posted By: sunilid
Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 2:54pm
No one's mentioned which rubbers are being used to affect the control aspect with these blades.
So, blade + rubber + technique all affect control.  Control will vary with each setup and individual technique.  

-------------
Violin (T25/FH, G2FX/BH)

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 2:59pm

No. Not everything is a matter of your opinion, ok? control in table tennis is the ability to deliver the ball exactly where you want to. There is absolutely zero, zero subjectivity, and it can be measured with duplicable tests very easy. Control is measured by the variance between the aim location and the actual landing location. It is a very discrete physical property, and you may not twist the laws of physics and conform them to a conclusion that you like. Control is what it is, and that is outside of your control.

Yeah, but I don't agree with your definition. Perhaps you could link to a de-facto source for this? What you talk about here I define as positional accuracy, placement. The sport is much more than this - placement, speed, spin, all working together in a way each player is looking for. For me, control is the ability to land the ball on the table with the desired effect. A player might sacrifice positional accuracy for extreme spin. If that player lands the ball time after time, and the spin overpowers the opponent, that's still good control for me, and I don't care that they're aiming for a 20cm2 patch of table rather than a 2cm2 patch.

Also, good control is the ability to handle the opponent's game (with your chosen equipment). An awesome, reactive block to a huge loop drive into the opposite side of the table shows excellent control. In that circumstance, 100% positional accuracy isn't important, but dealing with the incoming speed/spin is, and it's enough just to get the ball on the table in a general area, away from the opponent.

I don't expect everyone (or anyone) to agree with my definition. You might find a dozen different definitions of control from forum users here. In my experience, it's a subjective, nebulous concept, and pretty much useless without supporting context.

Even with all that said - equipment doesn't have control. If I was prepared to accept your combination of accuracy and control (which makes sense to you, and maybe to the rest of the world, who knows?), it STILL wouldn't be a function of your equipment. You might find flexy blades to lack accuracy, but that's your lack of familiarity with the nature of flex. Blades don't randomly flex with each shot - they do so in predictable ways (QC issues nonwithstanding). Given enough time, and the desire to do so, you'd get used to the way they behave, and then perhaps appreciate the features they bring to the game. The ability to take pace off the short game while retaining power at high speeds, for example. But if you can't control a flexy blade, YOU are lacking control. I lack control with stiff, hard blades in various areas of the game, and I hold my hands up and say I lack control. I certainly lack control with VERY flexy blades, so they're not for me, but that's no fault of the blade. It's doing what it was designed to do.

The most you can say with any accuracy (!) is that flexy blades are not for you. You lack control when you use them. You are more accurate (and effective maybe?) with stiff/hard. I can't see how you can go further than that.

-------------

Posted By: dabookerman
Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 3:13pm
It sounds to me like we have a difference in terminology between "quality of directional rebound" and "control".  I think that assiduous is asserting the "quality of directional rebound" argument via the point that the harder wood will more consistently rebound the ball in the same direction.  I can see this and it is likely why the higher-level players like harder wood outer plies because those fractions of a degree difference can make a difference when you are that skilled.  

"Control", however, is much more subjective.  The easiest way to differentiate between the two would be to think of using a piece of steel as your outer ply on a stationary paddle.  All things being equal, the steel outer would certainly ensure that every ball that hit the paddle would rebound in almost exactly the same manner and direction and would have a lower dispersion than any wood outer ply.  Controlling the steel blade would obviously be an entirely different story. 

I'll go on record by adding that at the skill level of 99% of the players in this forum, though, it will not make a hill of beans difference and personal feel should weigh out in blade selection.   

-------------
Photino FL

Yasaka Rising Dragon

Short Pips

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

A player might sacrifice positional accuracy for extreme spin. If that player lands the ball time after time, and the spin overpowers the opponent, that's still good control for me,

you sound like Clinton when they asked him if he slept with that woman. But all you mean is that you are willing to sacrifice control for spin. But when you say 'that's good control for me' you actually mean that's a good blade for you. And if you put it this way, nobody can argue with you. Many people like paddles that will generate extra spin at the expense of control. But all of this cannot touch the simple fact that control is what control is, and not what you make it to be. We have to draw the line somewhere, otherwise no statement will have any meaning, even outside the table tennis world. You can't erase the real meaning of something with the line 'Well. for me that something is..'

Sorry if I sound arrogant, i know you are a good dude. This may sound loud as you read it, but I am almost falling asleep. But I can't let you destroy something so elementary and obvious by throwing it under the subjective bus.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 3:30pm
assiduous,

Would the end result of your journey necessitate using the absolute stiffest/densest blade in existence?

-------------

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 3:39pm
dabookerman, i have to give you credit for a good and honest argument. 

First, you recognize that hard wood will be more consistent in sending the ball to the same location, but you don't want to call this control, rather call it something else.

And second, extrapolating the rule to the extreme, to demonstrate its invalidity. You sound like a lawyer sir. 

However I am not sure a steel blade will be hard to control, in the way I described it. It will be heavy as hell, and will have incredibly low dwell time, and hence low ability to generate spin.
But I don't think this extreme situation means the blade has no control. Exactly the opposite. This demonstrates that people are willing to sacrifice a little control but instead of 400 gram, have a paddle that weighs only 80 gr. and has a second benefit of greater dwell time. Not talking about the official rules for the paddle. This seems like an easy trade off.. you gain great weight reduction and increase in spin, for (say) just 1 degree worse variance.

And remember, the only reason people put synthetic layers in the paddles right now is to increase control. It will always make the blade feel worse and not as spiny, but some people prefer the extra control.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by the_theologian the_theologian wrote:

assiduous,
Would the end result of your journey necessitate using the absolute stiffest/densest blade in existence?

i am arguing what control means. I am not saying you have to sacrifice everything for meaningless gains in control. If you designed a machine that can test blades for control by holding them steady or imitating human grip, and shoot high velocity balls at it and measure the standard error in the landing locations, i expect that after making a sufficiently sturdy blade with two layers of synthetic material you will already have good enough control, and further stiffness will only detriment other properties of the blade. Even I like a little dwell time and good touch and will make the tradeoff at some point against control. 

But I don't want to make it seem i am trying to avoid your question. Just want to clarify it. If my goal was to have the blade with the highest control and didn't care about anything else, then yes, i would go for what you are suggesting.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 3:48pm
nobody wants a car with super stiff suspension and super low profile tires either. At some point your handling is good enough and you need some comfort. That has no bearing on what control/ handling is, and you can check the 'suspension' of those formula 1 or other racing competitions cars where you really can't compromise handling.

-------------

Posted By: CraneStyle
Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 3:48pm
Interesting where this thread is going...

I agree that everybody has their personal comfort zone, as far as blade and rubber combinations that deliver the shots they desire. There's a school of thought that believes that if you "practice long enough" with any "decent set-up" you'll develop familiarity and consistency to play well.

But when does battling through with the "decent set-up" fail...? I think it fails when this given "decent set-up" lies at the extremes of our comfort zone (say too flexy too soft or too hard too fast for example). Then the "practise long enough" becomes an eternity, or too long to be considered acceptable (choose your own time).

I believe control does exist in set-ups and is measurable factor. We apply a demand via the bat to get a desired output to the ball.

We decide what control measures suit out game. Say vibrations, touch, spin, serving, power, rebound, disturbance & spin reversal, short-game long-game capabilities etc... are parameters that we measure to determine if our set-up offers enough control to us.

One size doesn't fit all.

Some, however, fit most ...

-------------
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 4:06pm
Mate, I don't mind. I love the banter with you. I like how you're so definite about things.

I dislike attempts to objectify the term "control" - I don't think it helps. It shouldn't be applied to equipment, and it can mislead. You've defined control as something to suit your position, which is cool. But I haven't seen it defined like this officially anywhere (in equipment terms, anyway), and I've seen lots of different definitions before. Feel free to chip in with a link to a definition, and other users can always support your claim that there really is a 100% watertight definition of equipment control. You may WANT a definite definition of equipment control, but I don't think it exists. It's a ridiculous, nonsense term that should be done away with. I've provided what I think to be a definition of "control", but I don't say it's the real deal, or useful. It's just as much waffle as anything else I've seen written about equipment control over the years. I've yet to find a definition of control (in equipment) which is useful in real terms, beyond perhaps being a window into a person's soul.

You're more accurate/effective with hard/stiff, and that's all the information you (or anyone else) needs. Your blade can be described in a physical sense as hard/stiff (with some qualifying stuff, if you like, which more accurately describes how hard/stiff/fast it is). But it doesn't possess control. It's not possessed by the control daemons from the underworld. You control it, and you think you control it well, so coolio. But there isn't a physical scale of control, determined via an algorithm which uses flexiness and softness as factors. You (personally) experience more control with hard/stiff, but there's no need to then extrapolate to some sort of qualitative "control" value based on the hardness/stiffness. Just an objective assessment of hardness/stiffness (and some other frills, like speed range, linearity of features, etc) tells us everything we need to know, and they are real, testable features of a blade.

All that paragraph this is nonsense if, in fact, control really is just a measure of being able to put a lot of balls in the right place. But even then, an experienced flexy blade user will be used to the equipment and can match the accuracy of a bouncy, stiff, hard plank user.

Put two blades on a table - one's a Defplay Senso, and one's a Boll ZLC. Which has more control? Well, there's no way of knowing until someone picks the blades up and start to use them, is there? In both our definitions of the term. And in your world, who picks the blade up? An experienced flexy player? Because a scientific test of how accurate that player places the ball might find in favour of the Defplay. And what part of the table are they aiming for, because it's harder to get the ball short with stiff/hard/fast than with the opposite, and with low speed impacts the flexy/soft/slow blade will still be very accurate in rebound terms.

So, anyway, there you go. I'm not championing my idea of control. I'm promoting that we take "equipment control" as a concept out back and execute it.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 4:11pm

assiduous,

i am arguing what control means. I am not saying you have to sacrifice everything for meaningless gains in control. If you designed a machine that can test blades for control by holding them steady or imitating human grip, and shoot high velocity balls at it and measure the standard error in the landing locations...

What is it about flexy/soft blades that you think would result in a higher standard error in this situation? If the balls are delivered at the same rate, speed, spin and location on the bat (crucial, I know), wouldn't you get the same results, within reason (ball isn't perfectly round, robot isn't perfectly accurate at delivering balls, etc)?

-------------

Posted By: jt99sf
Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 4:16pm
My definition of control = ball placement with purpose.

-------------
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 4:29pm
Perhaps at the end of the day, we simply have a semantics issue

-------------

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 4:49pm
perhaps for assiduous, the definition of control = predictability/accuracy
while for most players, the definition of control = playability

-------------

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

My definition of control = ball placement with purpose.

Or maybe

Control = ball placement with or without purpose

-------------

Posted By: Kolev
Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 6:54pm
Strange, but I've never heard the best players I know discussing the "control" properties of a blade....

-------------
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

Strange, but I've never heard the best players I know discussing the "control" properties of a blade....

a moment of meditation or a subtle insult?

-------------

Posted By: Kolev
Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 7:56pm
Subtle insult, of course....

-------------
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Kolev Kolev wrote:

Subtle insult, of course....

I see. I was trying to give the benefit of a doubt.

Anywho, I've listened to Brian Pace discuss the control properties of a blade. Even Fan Zhendong has spoken about why he chose all wood over composite.

moving on...

-------------

Date Posted: 02/05/2014 at 9:07pm
assiduous: does forgivability enter in your definition of control?

Let me explain:

Say we compare 2 blades. The 1st is very stiff & directionally very precise. But it is very fast. You have to choose precisely the perfect angle & stroke each time even in return of serve or in quick counters otherwise the ball shall pop up & be smashed by the opponent.

The other blade isn't that directionally precise but is slower. It allows you a bit of leeway in reading serves but still keeps the ball short more often without pop-ups. For the same reason, you can block better with it (lower rebound speed, not as much precision required in adjusting racket angle based on incoming speed / topspin). On a low fast ball, the chances of you landing a successful loop on the table are higher with this blade (more spin / arc).

So, would you still say that the 1st blade is a control blade whereas the 2nd one is not?

Now you might state that one has to judge control by keeping the speed constant. I'd say that speed is an important variable in determining the common usage of the word 'control' in TT.

-------------
Trade feedback:

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 02/06/2014 at 8:09am

Perhaps at the end of the day, we simply have a semantics issue
As us often the case when we talk about these kinds of things.

Date Posted: 02/06/2014 at 11:02am
assiduous: Mizutani and Maze are different from Innerforce blades or from limba all-wood blades. They are still a must-try  Wink

-------------

Date Posted: 02/06/2014 at 11:25am
ok, quite a few posts here, and i'm not gona quote and reply to everyone, but think about this:

If control is defined by your personal preferences, it would be a really worthless term, wouldn't it? Like all definitions that were given here are completely worthless in getting information about a blade. I don't know what you like and what you think control is. If I am wrong, and control is something subjective, we might as well stop talking about control altogether. 

I think this whole discussion was a waste of time. Before this discussion started, everybody here knew what control is. And I actually thing everyone's opinion was almost the same. 

Now that we start putting definitions people are not sure any more.

Reminds me of this episode of Family Guy when that guy wanted to hide under the bedsheets with Peter because he was afraid of ghosts. And Peter told him - don't be ridiculous, ghosts don't exist! And the guys said - Are you sure? And Peter thinks and then moans - Well.. now I'm not!

-------------

Date Posted: 02/06/2014 at 2:53pm

ok, quite a few posts here, and i'm not gona quote and reply to everyone, but think about this:

If control is defined by your personal preferences, it would be a really worthless term, wouldn't it?
Yes, I think so.  Actually I think of all the terms that we throw around to talk about our equipment, control is the most worthless of all.  Control of what?  Is there a single property of a TT material that gives you more control over everything you might want to influence in a shot?  Especially with all the different shots we have to play in the course of a game?  It's not possible.  I am not even sure how you would measure "control" in a way that gives meaning.  And surely we would want something more meaningful than simply 1/speed?  Otherwise, just use the speed rating. 

At the end of the day, it is a term related to table tennis psychology more than mechanics.  This does not make it less real, just not what we imagine it is.  So the sense of control  would depend a lot on what kinds of shots player A plays most often compared to player B.  That means it is is a term that cannot be standardized easily.

Date Posted: 02/06/2014 at 3:51pm
this is not very coherent. I am not even sure what point you are trying to make. You sound like Sarah Palin when she is trying to sound smart. 

-------------

Date Posted: 02/06/2014 at 4:30pm
@ assidious - I'm with you.

When a blade is described as "defence" we all have a idea of how it might play; don't we..?

If a rubber is described as being a "control rubber" we all have a idea of how it might pay; don't we..?

So lets not try to get philosophical about the bat having no control without the player using it because all adjectives that are used to describe TT bat components would be useless if this strict philosophy was used.

Saying Tenergy has no spin when it is just stuck to bat, for example. It's a fact in isolation, but it doesn't describe the true characteristics of the rubber.

To disregard the bat as the main component providing the desired control and only crediting the player, is being in denial as far as I'm concerned. ....

-------------

Date Posted: 02/06/2014 at 4:56pm

this is not very coherent. I am not even sure what point you are trying to make. You sound like Sarah Palin when she is trying to sound smart. 

I am very coherent.  I am saying that control ratings if they are something other than 1/speed are meaningless.  You just don't understand very much or maybe you just forgot to take your meds today.

Date Posted: 02/07/2014 at 10:38pm
can I ask an admit to remove all control related posts from this thread (including this post)

You can keep control posts where they were referring to these blades, at least before this whole argument about control started.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/08/2014 at 1:00am
The first post in this thread where control was mentioned directly was this one by Assiduous:

more power to your friends who can handle a primorac. its not easy to play away from the table with that one. Limba blades have the best feel out there and its not surprising they have so many fans. I can totally understand that because i remember how I felt. Limba also makes spinning the ball very easy due to the great dwell time. 
But if you compare the Timo Boll family of blades with the Innerforce family, and go apples to apples - 5 ply wood, ALC, ZLC, etc..  The Timo Boll blade of the same kind will ALWAYS have better control than the Innerforce blade. It will always be STIFFER and HARDER. 
The ball is propelled with a blade whose surface deforms from the contact, and additionally the entire structure flexes at the neck. It is physically a must that the deformation and flex will affect the bounce. That same deformation and flex is significantly less in koto blades and a higher control must follow from that.

So excuse me if I sound disrespectful to all of your first hand experience with people who use all wood limba blades, but I don't care very much about it. I really don't. If we are goina point fingers to who is using what, i can assure you that KOTO + Synthetic layer blades dominate the table tennis world, and certainly kill limba all-woods success, so i don't think you should be going there at all.

assiduous' next 9 posts after that also dealt with the subject of control, berating a substantial number of posters.  If you bring it up, it is fair game.

But..... it is always possible to redirect the thread by talking more about your new S-ZLC or whatever you are using now.

Date Posted: 02/08/2014 at 2:04am
No. It is Andy's post, two posts down that introduces the confusion that there may be some definitions of control, and its all about definition of control from there. Please delete Andy's post, and everything afterwards. 
Can some other admin look into this request please? 

-------------

Date Posted: 02/08/2014 at 10:15am
It is your opinion that the definition of control is somehow being "confused" -- two posts after you initially raise the issue of control.  Now, because you disagree with Andy's take, and other people also disagree with you about control, therefore you want the entire thread erased?  Really?  Some people disagree with you and now you think it is appropriate to request repression of all signs of that disagreement because -- well why really? Because you know you're right!  (Stamps feet).  It would set a pretty bad precedent.  Maybe some other mod will go along with that sort of Stalinist approach to disagreement.  Good luck.   

Date Posted: 02/08/2014 at 10:17am
How about if we keep intact all the control-related banter but move all of that to a new, separate thread?

-------------
Trade feedback:

Date Posted: 02/08/2014 at 10:18am
There is a separate thread on the subject (called http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64954&PN=3#778901" rel="nofollow - Control ratings for equipment ).  It was started in response to this one.  But no, we should not edit threads to suppress people's disagreement with one member's opinion.  I suggested a way the OP could get the thread back on track.  That is simply write more about the actual blades under discussion.

Date Posted: 02/25/2014 at 12:14pm
Decided to go with TB ZLC after all, despite the ridiculous handle (heavily sanded now). 

I stuck with the S-zlc because of some good results at the club, but every time I touch the TB ZLC i feel such pleasure, I decided not to fight it any more. This SUPER DUPER ZLC... they say it has nice feel.. yeah, its soft and still super control from afar, but i don't like soft any more.

By the way, i think I am selling mine at a fair price. One forum member made an offer of 160 pounds to a seller and the seller got insulted. I am selling mine for less than that : )

-------------

Posted By: tsanyc
Date Posted: 02/25/2014 at 11:54pm
I've tried  a few zlc, zlf blades and was disappointed in all of them. Overall, the zylon blades in general feel weird for me.

Personally, the only composite blades I like are these ALC ones, 1 being the best:
- TB ALC #1 (works well with T05, Bluefire M2)
- TBS #2
- MMaze ALC #3
- Viscaria #4 (feels too mushy for me, particularly the newer batches)

My favorite wooden blades:
- Cypress Max Jpen#1 (100g) (works well with T64)
- KTS JPen #2 (98g)
- Mazunov (98g) ST, work very well with Bluefire M1

Thanks

Tsa

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27730&title=feedback-tsanyc - My Feedback

Date Posted: 02/26/2014 at 1:39am
you can try the S-ZLC. It's very different from the other zylon blades. The feeling is actually in between ZLC and ALC.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/26/2014 at 10:56am
i kind of agree with that, it does not feel like any other ZLC blade, and I have owned or tried all of them. 

-------------

Date Posted: 02/26/2014 at 12:49pm
I understand assiduous.

I am also quite fond of the TB ZLC feel. ...

-------------

Date Posted: 02/26/2014 at 3:45pm
you need to get rid of that M2 dude. That is NOT a TB ZLC rubber! You need something with tight sponge and good control, and M2 has neither.
Try regular Rhyzm or regular Tenzone for your FH. You will immediately feel improvement.

TB ZLC is a hard stiff blade designed for good strokes going through the ball. It is not good for brushing and messing around with whirly spin. And M2 is the exact opposite - not good for direct strokes, but good for brushing and messing around with spin. You have to make your mind and take the right path : )

-------------

Date Posted: 02/27/2014 at 1:59am
@ assiduous - Thanks for the recommendations. I'm happy with M2 at the moment and I'm not planning on
changing anytime soon.

The range of shots from looping to smashing, the accuracy, spin & touch that I'm getting suits my game and I am not lacking in ANY directional power.

I'm sure TB ZLC works with many rubbers depending on the game you're aspiring to.

Enjoy!

-------------

Date Posted: 02/27/2014 at 12:44pm
TB ZLC + 2x Rhyzm is a funny thing to try. It is like playing with a hard bat, i kid you not. Very litte dwell time, very little flex. It is the most direct shooting thing in table tennis. But brushing is hard as hell. There is no dwell time for that. The feedback is incredible. Not vibration feedback, although believe it or not, the blade is not completely stiff, it does flex and recover a little. But the feedback of the direction where you sent the ball. You just feel which way you are sending the ball. This is like extreme directional control on the axist where Primorac with M3 is the worst you can make and TB ZLC + Rhyzm is the best. And for brushing you just flip the axes : )

-------------

Posted By: ejmaster
Date Posted: 02/27/2014 at 3:55pm
That is the ej path to avoid. When experimenting too much at the end one gets crazy.
The tb zlc is not a friendly blade. Then one can try and search for a rubber to help.
It is a very directional blade because it is quite stiff though it has some flex, but feels like iron.
So at the end one appreciates the alc feeling gears.
On the other hand some players do not like the ball bounciness with the alc because lacking of technique to control the ball.
But imo the tb zlc is not the answer.
One can have more help and spin variation and sharp behaviour in a flexible composite as the Lsw or tbs or even if zlc with some more feeling.

-------------
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.

Posted By: Carryboy
Date Posted: 02/27/2014 at 4:41pm
ALC is really bouncy!! Took out a TB ALC over the weekend to try (out of curiosity), and the balls were all over the place at first. Got better after awhile but compared to what I am using I prefer the feel of a all carbon blade and for feel and pure silkiness Hinoki/Cypress outers!!

ejmaster, I agree with some of what you said about the TB ZLC.

-------------
Spin Master Carbo Power (Stefan Elsner Custom)
Donic Acuda S1 Max
Donic Acuda P1 Blue Max

Date Posted: 02/27/2014 at 5:24pm
@ ejmaster - To describe a TB ZLC as being like iron is doing the blade a real injustice and misleading to anyone who is considering trying or buying one. It is a direct feel blade that I find very friendly. ...

TB T5000 is typically heavier, stiffer and still remains a popular blade.

The TB Tri-Carbon is typically heavier, stiffer and although not popular has its place in the TT world.

The blades you describe as offering "help" have an abstract feel and those blades can also lead players on an EJ path trying to find the holy grail in blade and rubber combinations, or settling for a well known pro players set-up because it works for them.

Players have the right to not like soft/ spongy feeling blades and it is nothing to do with technique; it's more of a preference.

Please don't mislead the players who might be wondering if all table tennis blades are supposed to feel abstract or soft and when they're good enough they'll be able to play with them, because it's not true. There are also direct feeling blades that might be just what they are looking for. ..   

-------------

Date Posted: 02/27/2014 at 6:55pm
Crane i am not misleading.
On the contrary.
Trying to show concepts.
Imo the tb zlc has a harder and less sensitive feeling than other composite blades. Not worthy.
Everybody already knows the song 'everything is good'.
So you get one or a tricarbon but some friends will appreciate not to spend 200 $ in a tb zlc.

-------------
EJ Club.

MM T05(fh)/Srvfx(bh); InfVps,LSW,Viscaria,RwV,TBAlc,PG7,yextsc,yeo. EJmaster wood.

Date Posted: 02/27/2014 at 8:01pm
"abstract" blades... interesting... describing an OFF blade, no less

-------------

Date Posted: 02/28/2014 at 1:08am
Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

Players have the right to not like soft/ spongy feeling blades and it is nothing to do with technique; it's more of a preference.

funny..

some blades do feel spongy! They are fun to mess around with, lots of dwell, easy brush.. But if you turn up the pace then spongy holds you back. I am just not sure TB ALC is spongy. Nothing with koto is that spongy..  Perhaps compared to TB ZLC.. TB ZLC is hard like glass but more flexy..

-------------

Posted By: DDreamer
Date Posted: 02/28/2014 at 5:10am
CraneStyle, I am currently using an old $40 soft all-wood 5 ply ALL+ blade with Xiom Europe rubber. I am not happy with it and am still looking for the holy grail of set-ups. I want something with maximum speed, maximum spin, and maximum control. I read online that the TB ZLC with MAX Bryce might fit the bill. What do you think?

-------------
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out

Date Posted: 02/28/2014 at 7:22am
@DDreamer - Nice bear trap...

$'s are nothing to do with it.

Liking a soft or direct feeling blade is what I'm discussing and those options. ...

-------------

Date Posted: 02/28/2014 at 7:37am
The thing is to have fun.
I remember a player who just liked that way. Max power, speed, spin. Putting a lot of glue.
But do not talk about results. He was a disaster but he had fun. That's perfectly fine.
Sometimes he played a nice killing shot.
DDreamer is right. The tb zlc with max bryce (i would say tuned) may fit the bill.

-------------
EJ Club.

Date Posted: 02/28/2014 at 7:51am
Originally posted by ejmaster ejmaster wrote:

The thing is to have fun.
DDreamer is right. The tb zlc with max bryce (i would say tuned) may fit the bill.

Thanks very much for your help ejmaster. I'm actually not out to have fun. Rather I am searching for for the holy grail of set-ups in order to maximise my game. Once I find it I am sure I will improve at least 300 rating points...and that is without having to do any training whatsoever.

One thing tho - tuning is illegal and I don't want to go down that path. Will a TB ZLC with untuned Bryce do the trick or do you have a better recommendation? Thanks in advance.

-------------
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out

Date Posted: 02/28/2014 at 10:05am
So Ddreamer, what are you doing now, playing this game that only smart people like you can understand? The 2000 year old straw man attack? 
Have you even touched a TB ZLC? There is this blind hatred to this blade, mostly because its expensive, and mostly from people who have never touched it. You should give it a try man. Borrow from a friend. You don't know what you are gona find out. 
But don't try to be too smart man.. may end up in uncomfortable situation.. you can tell us what you think straight up.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/28/2014 at 10:21am
The tb zlc with t05 plays very well.
The tenergy spring sponge combines well.
Bryce also may play well.
If you do not like tenergy rubber type bryce fits on carbon composite.
Just some more focus to make the ball jumping the net but on the other hand better directional precision. Bryce is very directional and good smashing rubber.
About firmer sponge than spring sponges i would also play better bryce than a calibra (
more control an directional performance with bryce) with a tb zlc.
My good friend tsnayc bought my tb zlc and few days later he resell it.
Some people said the limited edition felt a little bit softer. I do not know.
There is the For Sale section to sell and buy blades.

-------------
EJ Club.

Date Posted: 02/28/2014 at 3:55pm
Thanks again for the info. I will also recommend it to a friend. He has been playing for years and due to his poor ball control and dodgy technique he can't get beyond 1700. This set up will hopefully give him the rating boost he desires.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/28/2014 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

He has been playing for years and due to his poor ball control and dodgy technique he can't get beyond 1700. This set up will hopefully give him the rating boost he desires.

I'd rate DDreamer's trolling at a 1700 level...

-------------
Trade feedback:

Posted By: Pushdeep
Date Posted: 02/28/2014 at 4:55pm
Please let us know the outcome of this. If it works I would like to try it as well. Ive been struggling to get beyond 1700 as well but Fate is teasing me and I only reached highest rating of 1798.

Date Posted: 02/28/2014 at 5:05pm

Thanks again for the info. I will also recommend it to a friend. He has been playing for years and due to his poor ball control and dodgy technique he can't get beyond 1700. This set up will hopefully give him the rating boost he desires.
Hope springs eternal but a savy Vegas gambler would go with the under.

Date Posted: 02/28/2014 at 6:16pm

He has been playing for years and due to his poor ball control and dodgy technique he can't get beyond 1700. This set up will hopefully give him the rating boost he desires.

I'd rate DDreamer's trolling at a 1700 level...

you rite ..  : ) .. kind of mediocre : )

He is as potent as an ALL+ blade..

-------------

Date Posted: 03/22/2014 at 12:59pm
So, I've been playing with the ALC for the past 3 weeks and have recently acquired the ZLC & SZLC. Shall post my comparison here in a couple of days

-------------
Trade feedback:

Date Posted: 03/23/2014 at 4:04pm

assiduous: does forgivability enter in your definition of control?

Let me explain:

Say we compare 2 blades. The 1st is very stiff & directionally very precise. But it is very fast. You have to choose precisely the perfect angle & stroke each time even in return of serve or in quick counters otherwise the ball shall pop up & be smashed by the opponent.

The other blade isn't that directionally precise but is slower. It allows you a bit of leeway in reading serves but still keeps the ball short more often without pop-ups. For the same reason, you can block better with it (lower rebound speed, not as much precision required in adjusting racket angle based on incoming speed / topspin). On a low fast ball, the chances of you landing a successful loop on the table are higher with this blade (more spin / arc).

So, would you still say that the 1st blade is a control blade whereas the 2nd one is not?

Now you might state that one has to judge control by keeping the speed constant. I'd say that speed is an important variable in determining the common usage of the word 'control' in TT.

looking back at this, I'd say slevin nailed it

+1

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net