Print Page | Close Window

Nexy Poly Balls

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=70140
Printed Date: 04/28/2024 at 3:44pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Nexy Poly Balls
Posted By: VictorK
Subject: Nexy Poly Balls
Date Posted: 02/01/2015 at 7:16pm
I've had a chance to play three times (~6 hours) with Nexy seamless poly balls (courtesy of Nexy USA http://www.Nexyusa.com" rel="nofollow - www.Nexyusa.com ) , that are made by XSF under a private label arrangement.  I also gave two balls for a test drive to an experienced 2600 level player.  Our observations were very similar:

- The balls are high quality (round, consistent bounce), similar to XSF and Nittaku Premium
- The Nexy balls play similar to XSF, but feel slightly heavier and slower and bounce a little lower than XSF.
- Durability appears to be pretty good - better than XSF based on my limited experience - I haven't broken any balls, and the other tester broke one. 

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Replies:
Posted By: cole_ely
Date Posted: 02/01/2015 at 7:18pm
They would also be xsf right?

-------------
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Date Posted: 02/01/2015 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

They would also be xsf right?

I'm not sure I understand your question - can you restate it?

As I mentioned in my original post, these balls are made by XSF under Nexy name.

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 02/01/2015 at 7:30pm
My first time looking at the nexus site. I like how they tell you up front that it's a palm leaf. :)

$14 per box of 6? Yowsa!

-------------

Date Posted: 02/01/2015 at 7:39pm
I see it. The comparison to xsf threw me later in the post.

-------------

Posted By: viva
Date Posted: 02/01/2015 at 8:43pm
just ordered some hoping they play as well as XSF !

-------------
My trade feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40170&title=viva-buy-sell-feedback

Posted By: Chopper88
Date Posted: 02/01/2015 at 8:58pm
Also had a chance to play with it Friday , maybe the same if not better then the Nittakus but for sure better then Joola , DHS , double fish

Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 02/01/2015 at 10:46pm

My first time looking at the nexus site. I like how they tell you up front that it's a palm leaf. :)

$14 per box of 6? Yowsa!

There would be a huge internet buzz if that wasn't straightened out, but you still see people in clubs look at your bag and ask why the heck you are doing with a leaf on bag and shoes and shirt. It's OK, that makes a good opportunity to talk and have some fun.

Your Yinhe Poly balls seem to be from same factory and your price is nice (and you are nice as well). Nexy Korea president had XSF cook those Poly Balls up with a different formula and they are not exact composition and specs as the XSF, Pr. Moon asked for and got a heavier feeling and performing ball.

Compared to almost $18 for a similar quality and performance (EDIT: for the other big name seamless non-XSF factory Poly Ball), $14 is still a pretty good deal. The CEO (Bogey REALLY hates being called that !) just put up a coupon for $4 off a 6er pack.

4offPball  is the code.

I still got a Yinhe ball from PP Holic from my last match vs him. The ball you gave me Cole is with some Soldier somewhere.

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Posted By: Chopper88
Date Posted: 02/01/2015 at 11:22pm
I need to order asap !! $10 is a great deal for the Nexy ball , BH is correct , it heavier and have a nicer bounce , you can put some crazy spin on serves , ask Boogy I had issue returning his serves all night

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 02/01/2015 at 11:27pm
How much lower is the bounce compared to XSF?

Posted By: igorponger
Date Posted: 02/02/2015 at 3:42am
NUMBERS, PLEASE.   NUMBERS BEST TRUSTY.

It sounds utterly IMPLAUSIBLE that Nexy balls differ in weight from other ball brands under XSF license.

XSF did emailed to me in most open words
-- All our seamless balls will obey very well every ITTF requirement, diameter, bounce, weight, etc.

I only trust in numbers, I look to hear an expert voice, I need the man able to operate with high precision balance to 0,01 gramme , with a dozen of Nexy balls.   

Date Posted: 02/02/2015 at 9:27am
It's also hard for me to believe Nexy spec'd a heavier ball.  Sounds like marketing speak to me.  But hey, maybe.

-------------

Posted By: bogeyhunter
Date Posted: 02/02/2015 at 9:54am
I never tried XSF.
Played last Friday with Nittaku "made in Japan" one and Nexy.

Nexy(brand new) was heavier than (used) Nittaku.
Nittaku bounced very good too. I'd love Nittaku if I were a classic defender. It feels light and slow = harder for my pop to finish the point.

-------------
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo

Date Posted: 02/02/2015 at 9:55am

It's also hard for me to believe Nexy spec'd a heavier ball.  Sounds like marketing speak to me.  But hey, maybe.

Since I didn't do scientific measurements (weight, size, hardness, etc) I can't opine on the balls' physical properties, but I could clearly feel some differences between the Nexy  and XSF balls in the way they behaved during rallies ... and so did other four experience players (>2100) who tried it at our club, which I summarized in my initial post.

Btw, the differences didn't make one ball "better" than the other, as some players preferred the Nexy ball while others XSF.

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 02/02/2015 at 11:40am
I agree that the actual weight isn't likely a lot heavier, but the composition can make the ball FEEL heavier and more solid.

When I get my two 6er packs this week, I will weigh them on calibrated scale several times altogether to get averages.

I think it is the construction that makes it feel that way like Pr. Moon describes.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/02/2015 at 12:57pm
I think a different formulation would technically have to have a separate ittf approval, no?

-------------

Date Posted: 02/02/2015 at 1:51pm
My experience having people I know test balls blind (including some 2500-2600 players) that I had previously weighed accurately is that they can't really sense the weight of the ball accurately when playing with it.  They know something is different but they describe it in different ways.  I have had some people even say they felt like the Nittaku 40+ Japan ball is heavier and "more solid" even though it is by far the lightest plastic ball in existence.  Balls that bounce low can feel heavier, the phenomenon may be a bit like the heavier feel you get when you try to kick a ball that is not quite inflated fully.  I am not sure what all goes into that.

If Nexy really is heavier, that is a problem moving forward unless ITTF changes their cutoff for weight in 2016.  XSF currently meets those standards, but if they got very much heavier at all they would not.

If the Nexy ball is a different formulation than XSF, ITTF will have to approve it separately.  I would like to see results of several lots of the ball before I automatically assumed that they were systematically different all the time, though.  Also am curious about manufacture date of the Nexy balls that were tested.

I have not tried a Nexy ball myself. 

Posted By: LOG1C1AN
Date Posted: 02/02/2015 at 2:10pm
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the Nexy ball is identical in composition to the XSF and the Yinhe ball with the only difference being the label stamped on the ball. Since each brand label is different, technically speaking the ball is very very very slightly different in weight due to a little more or a little less ink in the stamp design. I think the ball itself, before the brand stamp is applied is identical.

They are all three excellent though and clearly the best of the new balls (IMHO).

Date Posted: 02/02/2015 at 3:58pm
I can't imagine the ink would make a discernible difference in weight -- just guessing, at most a milligram, probably less.  I am guessing if there is difference it is lot variation.  These are collectively better than all the other balls out there, though.  That is the important thing, and I agree with you.

Posted By: roundrobin
Date Posted: 02/02/2015 at 4:51pm
Heavier and lower bounce = thicker wall, which should not be hard to do in seamless ball manufacturing.

-------------
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Posted By: roundrobin
Date Posted: 02/02/2015 at 5:03pm
Also, well-worn XSF balls feel lighter than brand-new ones to me.

-------------
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Date Posted: 02/02/2015 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I can't imagine the ink would make a discernible difference in weight -- just guessing, at most a milligram, probably less.  I am guessing if there is difference it is lot variation.  These are collectively better than all the other balls out there, though.  That is the important thing, and I agree with you.

Certainly not discernible to me. However, some players I know seem to be able to detect the atmospheric differences in clubs, subtle variations between red and black rubbers, and 1 gram distinctions in blades. So, I didn't want to presume that they could not discern an infinitesimal weight difference due to brand stamp differences. Wink

On the lot variation idea, I suppose it would be determined by the machine calibration in the factory. I'd be surprised if there is any change from lot to lot given the millions of identical balls they are designed to produce.

Date Posted: 02/02/2015 at 7:23pm
Yes, but I think all those things you mentioned (altitude, red vs. black, 1 gram in a blade) would be a substantially larger effect proportionately than the weight changes caused by different labels on the ball. 

Like I said, I would like to know when the Nexys were made and compared them to XSF made at the same time.

Date Posted: 02/02/2015 at 8:32pm
This discussion is becoming a little too too scientific for me to follow.

IMO, the best way to test balls is just to get few different brands, play with them for a while and see how they FEEL.  If they feel the same and are round and bounce consistently, than great, you're indifferent and can choose/buy based on price, durability and availability. If they feel different, than choose the brand that feels best to you and/or is used in tournaments you're planning to play.

As for myself, I definitely can feel the difference between Nexy, XSF and Nittaku Premium, but I really don't care whether it's the weight, hardness, size, color (Nittaku is matte) or label (Lol), but I do care about the roundness, consistency of bounce, durability and whether they affect my strokes ("feel natural") and fun of playing.

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 02/02/2015 at 11:41pm
I agree Victor, it is best to just play with them and see which ones you like.  I have never played with Nexy so don't know what they are like, and I can easily tell difference between Nittaku Premium and XSF (which are both very good but noticeably different from each other).  I prefer XSF to Nittaku Premium, but I can be happy playing with either one.  I won't use Chinese seamed balls anymore. 

The question is, though, how consistent is the difference between XSF and Nexy, also how big of a difference is there in the bounce height (since you mention that Nexy is lower)?  That's not particularly scientific.  It's a simple question and the reason I ask is because I am curious as to whether the difference you report is something about specs for the Nexy ball, or, alternatively, a difference they are making in all of the seamless balls that maybe relates to date of production.  SO that's why I asked if you know what month the Nexys were made?  There should be a four letter code on the box, probably two of the letters are AD.  I would be curious if the others are AC, AD, or something else.

Posted By: Nexy
Date Posted: 02/03/2015 at 3:38am
Let me intervene here for a while.

Here I have several pictures, and you can have a look on them, and will be able to find what is good with NEXY ball against balls with seam.

You can see the thickness of the ball inside is not even.

And you need to check what is the shape of the seam inside.

(Left one is NEXY's part, and the other one is from other brand, DHS.)

Do you have any idea about the ball with seam?

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 02/03/2015 at 3:45am

I agree Victor, it is best to just play with them and see which ones you like.  I have never played with Nexy so don't know what they are like, and I can easily tell difference between Nittaku Premium and XSF (which are both very good but noticeably different from each other).  I prefer XSF to Nittaku Premium, but I can be happy playing with either one.  I won't use Chinese seamed balls anymore. 

The question is, though, how consistent is the difference between XSF and Nexy, also how big of a difference is there in the bounce height (since you mention that Nexy is lower)?  That's not particularly scientific.  It's a simple question and the reason I ask is because I am curious as to whether the difference you report is something about specs for the Nexy ball, or, alternatively, a difference they are making in all of the seamless balls that maybe relates to date of production.  SO that's why I asked if you know what month the Nexys were made?  There should be a four letter code on the box, probably two of the letters are AD.  I would be curious if the others are AC, AD, or something else.

I can answer to the question.
It's not about the timing when we made the ball.

XSF had been making many technical developments over two years, but their experiments stopped last year fall.
And each brand has it's own recipe, according to their philosophy and taste.

NEXY cherishes "feeling and movement".
So, NEXY made a ball with good feeling and good movement.

XSF will be more interested in making a ball quite different from DHS.
So, their ball has higher bounce and light movement.

I am pretty sure that NEXY ball is the best in the world at this moment.
I will share more ideas soon in my diary thread, as well as here.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 02/03/2015 at 3:45am
Nexy,

No one is really concerned with the comparision between Nexy (seamless) and DHS (seamed).  What we are wondering is whether there is any difference between XSF (original seamless brand) and Nexy (another seamless brand) with regard to formulation, how this is possible for XSF to do in their factory and what it means for seamless balls in general.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Date Posted: 02/03/2015 at 3:48am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Nexy,

No one is really concerned with the comparision between Nexy (seamless) and DHS (seamed).  What we are wondering is whether there is any difference between XSF (original seamless brand) and Nexy (another seamless brand) with regard to formulation, how this is possible for XSF to do in their factory and what it means for seamless balls in general.

Thank you. I just wanted to set a place where we can start our talk.
But you are ahead of me, and I am glad to know that.

It's quite well known for TT brands that Chinese factories can make different balls with different recipies.
So, basically, Chinese factories have different levels for balls, and different recipes per balls.

If you want to check more about the uniqueness of NEXY ball from other seamless balls, then there could be several ways.

You can compare the color of the ball, because when we put some chemicals to change the character, that affects on the final color of the ball.

And you can burn it to check the chemicals added.
Even though it's very small quantity, it leaves some difference on the smoke and time for buring.

So, NEXY has a unique recipe, and that will tell what is different from XSF.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: yogi_bear
Date Posted: 02/03/2015 at 4:10am
nexy ball is one of the best poly ball i have used. also very durable compared to dhs poly ball

-------------
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Posted By: stevenjlyang
Date Posted: 02/03/2015 at 5:03am
XSF and Yinhe seamless ball are both made by Palio. 
but the standard are not the same. 
heavier weights means that durability and more consistent bounce but spin a little less, i personally think heavier ball will easily make speed, especially when hitting and blacking.

Date Posted: 02/03/2015 at 7:59am
I asked Pr. Moon to make the long post in his Diary thread and make a brief explanation of what makes the Nexy Ball feel solid and heavy. He has a lot of good insight, but his explanation is very long and prolly better suited for his diary thread where he makes LONG posts. 

-------------

Date Posted: 02/03/2015 at 9:41am
Originally posted by stevenjlyang stevenjlyang wrote:

heavier weights means that durability and more consistent bounce but spin a little less, i personally think heavier ball will easily make speed, especially when hitting and blacking.

Is this right?  The XSF manufacturer is really palio?

-------------

Date Posted: 02/03/2015 at 10:03am

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">heavier weights means that durability and more consistent bounce but spin a little less, i personally think heavier ball will easily make speed, especially when hitting and blacking.</span>

No. Palio is in Hong Kong and XSF is in China.
And heavier weight does not always result in less spin than lighter ball.
Actually, feeling of weight is not only about actual weight.
It has a lot with the chemical added in the base of PVC.
If we put oily chemical in PVC, it will allow lighter feeling.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Date Posted: 02/03/2015 at 10:07am
Sort of true. At the beginning there was a joint cooperative arrangement between Palio, XSF, and DHS to develop seamless balls, but the balls are actually made at a separate factory.  Then something happened that caused DHS to drop out of the deal (possibly an intellectual property issue or something to do with money), and at the last minute DHS were forced to figure out how to make a plastic ball -- but without the new seamless technology.  The result is a terrible ball but DHS has a lot of pull, so it has been widely used anyway.  That is quite unfortunate. 

There is no good evidence I have seen as yet that any of the ITTF approved seamless balls with different labels are consistently different in their weight or playing properties.  Good evidence would be the  actual weights carefully measured.  It is possible but I haven't seen any sign of it.

Bu jut playing with a ball can be very hard to accurately gauge it's weight, as I mentioned above.  Sort of like kicking a ball that is not quite fully inflated, the ball feels heavier.

Posted By: Rich215
Date Posted: 02/03/2015 at 11:03am
Baal thanks for bringing this point back up.   As I have mentioned a few times...people seem to mistake a balls weight  from what they are feeling when hitting it.  But what they are actually feeling most of the time is the balls compression, or moreover the balls stiffness. 

I find it pretty hard to believe that there is any wiggle room in changing a balls weight within the manufacturing process with the new seamless ball.  Yes, it seems as though staying within the ITTF's guidelines for the 40+ weight allowance would not be possible if the manufacture was trying to make different weighted balls for various brands. 

Just my thoughts.....

-------------

Date Posted: 02/03/2015 at 9:18pm

as far as i know, this is right. 

Date Posted: 02/03/2015 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Nexy Nexy wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">heavier weights means that durability and more consistent bounce but spin a little less, i personally think heavier ball will easily make speed, especially when hitting and blacking.</span>

No. Palio is in Hong Kong and XSF is in China.
And heavier weight does not always result in less spin than lighter ball.
Actually, feeling of weight is not only about actual weight.
"It has a lot with the chemical added in the base of PVC.
If we put oily chemical in PVC, it will allow lighter feeling. "
agree with your this opinion. but i think we could not be confused by feeling of weight with feeling of hardness, actual weight will result in less spin than actual lighter ball. lighter feeling maybe caused by hardless feeling. this is just my personally opinion. if it is a wrong, please ignore it.

Date Posted: 02/03/2015 at 9:39pm

Sort of true. At the beginning there was a joint cooperative arrangement between Palio, XSF, and DHS to develop seamless balls, but the balls are actually made at a separate factory.  Then something happened that caused DHS to drop out of the deal (possibly an intellectual property issue or something to do with money), and at the last minute DHS were forced to figure out how to make a plastic ball -- but without the new seamless technology.  The result is a terrible ball but DHS has a lot of pull, so it has been widely used anyway.  That is quite unfortunate. 

There is no good evidence I have seen as yet that any of the ITTF approved seamless balls with different labels are consistently different in their weight or playing properties.  Good evidence would be the  actual weights carefully measured.  It is possible but I haven't seen any sign of it.

Bu jut playing with a ball can be very hard to accurately gauge it's weight, as I mentioned above.  Sort of like kicking a ball that is not quite fully inflated, the ball feels heavier.

yes, you are right. 

Date Posted: 02/03/2015 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Rich215 Rich215 wrote:

Baal thanks for bringing this point back up.   As I have mentioned a few times...people seem to mistake a balls weight  from what they are feeling when hitting it.  But what they are actually feeling most of the time is the balls compression, or moreover the balls stiffness. 

I find it pretty hard to believe that there is any wiggle room in changing a balls weight within the manufacturing process with the new seamless ball.  Yes, it seems as though staying within the ITTF's guidelines for the 40+ weight allowance would not be possible if the manufacture was trying to make different weighted balls for various brands. 

Just my thoughts.....
er, i think we should consider the feeling of hardness not the feeling of weight, the weight of balls we can weight them with accuracy. as you said that the feeling when hitting it, most of the time is the balls hardness or softness. harder ball could give the player a weight feeling, my thoughts....

Date Posted: 02/03/2015 at 10:38pm
More or less what I just said, so I agree with you.

Date Posted: 02/04/2015 at 9:46am
Quick update on durability of Nexy balls - I played another 3 hours with it ball yesterday and still haven't broken a ball ... so as of now, it's ~9 hours (four practices) for me without breaking one Nexy ball.  

I'm curious about experiences related to durability of others who played with it.

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 02/04/2015 at 10:57am
That level of durability is typical for seamless (XSF anyway).

Date Posted: 02/04/2015 at 12:20pm

Your observation differs a little bit from my personal experiences with seamless balls.  

I found Nittaku Premium (which I like less than other seamless balls) to be extremely durable, much more durable than XSF, or any other celluloid or poly balls I've ever used.   I have played with Nittaku's extensively, and so have other club members, and I haven't seen one ball crack, except when someone stepped on it.  

XSF breaks rather easily when hit hard with an edge of the racket, but it's very durable otherwise - I broke one XSF per practice, on average - always when it was hit with an edge of racket.

I haven't broken Nexy ball in four practices, so I'm curious whether it's just luck, or perhaps they are more durable than XSF because of their different formulation ... hence I asked others who played with Nexy ball to share their observations on its durability.

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 02/04/2015 at 12:38pm
I need to get some Nexy balls and weigh them accurately.

Posted By: wturber
Date Posted: 02/04/2015 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

Your observation differs a little bit from my personal experiences with seamless balls.  

I found Nittaku Premium (which I like less than other seamless balls) to be extremely durable, much more durable than XSF, or any other celluloid or poly balls I've ever used.   I have played with Nittaku's extensively, and so have other club members, and I haven't seen one ball crack, except when someone stepped on it.  

I think we'll probably find that type of use matters.  I've seen them routinely broken in an hour or so by a hard hitting 60+ hard bat player. 

I've also had a few break in regular play.  The USATT 2014 Nationals where the whole tournament was run with NP40+ (sandpaper excepted).  So their experience would probably give a good idea of what a typical player might run into.  As it sits, for heavy hardbat use I consider them about as durable as the Nittaku Premium Celluloid.  They might be a bit more durable with predominately sponge use.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX

Date Posted: 02/04/2015 at 2:15pm
It's possible that the NP 40+ has gotten better with time.  But the first set I ever got was clearly inferior to the XSF in durability.  I still have one of my very first XSF balls.

The set I bought for Nationals performed better and I haven't bought any since.  The more recent XSF balls have broken a bit more but are still largely good, and the breaks have been mostly after freak hits or very very long usage.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 02/04/2015 at 2:17pm

XSF breaks rather easily when hit hard with an edge of the racket, but it's very durable otherwise - I broke one XSF per practice, on average - always when it was hit with an edge of racket.

I haven't broken Nexy ball in four practices, so I'm curious whether it's just luck, or perhaps they are more durable than XSF because of their different formulation ... hence I asked others who played with Nexy ball to share their observations on its durability.

Your post implied that Nittaku Premiums are seamless. I don't believe they are.

It is an interesting and confirmed observation about the seamless balls (XSF, Yinhe, Nexy) breaking if hit hard with the edge of the paddle. I've been playing exclusively and extensively with both the XSF and Yinhe seamless balls for three months now. I play on average 15-20 hours a week. So in the last three months I have played between 180-200 hours total with the seamless ball. In all that time I have broken a TOTAL of TWO balls. Both breaks were edge hits. I have many club mates whose experience is similar to mine. On the other hand, I have one club mate who broke three in one week, all with edge hits. He plays penhold and hits harder than most players I know.

So, my personal experience is that the seamless ball is much more durable than any ball I have ever used before. But, it also "seems" to be more vulnerable to very hard edge hits.

Posted By: wturber
Date Posted: 02/04/2015 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by LOG1C1AN LOG1C1AN wrote:

Your post implied that Nittaku Premiums are seamless. I don't believe they are.

Correct.  They are seamed.  That said, the thickness of the seam is MUCH less than the thickness of the seam we find in celluloid and the seamed Chinese balls.

You can see the less pronounced seam at around 4m 40secs on the video below.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX

Date Posted: 02/04/2015 at 2:57pm
Yep, I was wrong - Nittaku Premium 40+ are seamed ... It's funny that I never noticed the seam and assumed they were seamless - it's no fun getting old, LOL

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 02/04/2015 at 3:02pm
I very occasionally break a XSF but have not done it on the edge of my racket.  Instead I have done it on the edge of the table. So i think we can agree that edges are what does them in.  Typically I can get many hours out of one XSF ball (and even then they don't break, I just put them in my serve practice bucket at some point).   I think there is a pretty solid consensus from many people now that all of the approved seamless balls are more durable than any seamed ball, including the Nittaku Premium -- unless of course the Nittakus have recently improved and Victor has a more recent batch than people in my club have received (which would be good if that's the case).  I like the Nittaku Premium also.  I can feel the difference easily between those and XSF, but I like them both. 

Some people's experience also reflects random events which average out over time.  I have been playing almost exclusively with XSF and Nittaku Premium since late spring/early summer of 2014, so I feel like I have a pretty good sense of how they behave.

Date Posted: 02/04/2015 at 3:03pm

Yep, I was wrong - Nittaku Premium 40+ are seamed ... It's funny that I never noticed the seam and assumed they were seamless - it's no fun getting old, LOL

The seam is really hard to see, though.  You kind of have to hold up to the right kind of light.

Date Posted: 02/04/2015 at 3:25pm

I very occasionally break a XSF but have not done it on the edge of my racket.  Instead I have done it on the edge of the table. So i think we can agree that edges are what does them in.  Typically I can get many hours out of one XSF ball (and even then they don't break, I just put them in my serve practice bucket at some point).   I think there is a pretty solid consensus from many people now that all of the approved seamless balls are more durable than any seamed ball, including the Nittaku Premium -- unless of course the Nittakus have recently improved and Victor has a more recent batch than people in my club have received (which would be good if that's the case).  I like the Nittaku Premium also.  I can feel the difference easily between those and XSF, but I like them both. 

Some people's experience also reflects random events which average out over time.  I have been playing almost exclusively with XSF and Nittaku Premium since late spring/early summer of 2014, so I feel like I have a pretty good sense of how they behave.

@Baal - I have a gut feeling that if you like XSF and Nittaku Premium 40+, you'll also like the Nexy balls (if you get a chance to play with them), and you'll most likely notice that they are different than XSF - my initial reaction was that they were in-between XSF and Nittaku.

It's possible that we have a different batch of Nittaku balls, or maybe it's the playing conditions, or just coincidence - who knows.  

As to XSF braking on me more frequently than for others, it could be because I play a lot with a ~2300 junior who hits very hard and often with edges, and he's responsible for breaking 3 of my 4 cracked XSF balls.   I actually gave him one of my Nexy balls last night, after we played with it for a while, and asked him to use it as much as possible over the next few days to see how long it will take him to crack it.  I know this experiment is non-scientific, but I'm really curious about the result anyway :o)

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 02/04/2015 at 3:40pm
Victor,

In between XSF and Nittaku would be great.

I have been playing with some really hard hitting players too, also around 2200-2300, occasionally higher.  It may however relate to the fact that my club has Gerfloor and walls covered with plastic tarps, and that really does reduce wear on balls.

Date Posted: 02/04/2015 at 5:24pm

I have been playing with some really hard hitting players too, also around 2200-2300, occasionally higher.  It may however relate to the fact that my club has Gerfloor and walls covered with plastic tarps, and that really does reduce wear on balls.

My club has similar flooring and wall covering, so that may contribute to the less frequent seamless ball breakage that I have experienced.

Posted By: hookumsnivy
Date Posted: 02/04/2015 at 5:59pm

As to XSF braking on me more frequently than for others, it could be because I play a lot with a ~2300 junior who hits very hard and often with edges, and he's responsible for breaking 3 of my 4 cracked XSF balls.

I've only had 1 of my YinHe seamless balls break on me so far, and it was one of those juniors at westchester that was using it when it broke.  Rawle mentioned that those guys hit the edge a lot so not to be surprised.

Date Posted: 02/04/2015 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by LOG1C1AN LOG1C1AN wrote:

My club has similar flooring and wall covering, so that may contribute to the less frequent seamless ball breakage that I have experienced.

Our club also has Gerfloor and large courts with barriers, so balls almost never hit walls, so we can probably exclude playing conditions as a reason for the differences.

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 02/04/2015 at 11:52pm
Then it is probably random sampling.  Sometimes if you flip a coin and it comes up heads four times in a row.  But after about 1000 flips, it is pretty close to 500 either way.  XSF balls are very durable.   

Anyway, I'll try to get some Nexy balls to compare, since a XSF ball that was slightly faster would be perfect.

Date Posted: 02/05/2015 at 12:50am

I need to get some Nexy balls and weigh them accurately.
i will weigh Yinhe and Palio balls.

Date Posted: 02/05/2015 at 11:34am
Bear in mind that if the Nexy balls really are substantially heavier than XSF, that's going to be a problem come January 2016 if ITTF sticks with the standards they plan for then.  At that time, balls will need to be less than 2.80 grams.  The XSF balls are currently around 2.75 or so (vs. average of 2.68 for Nittaku Premium).  That means there is not a lot of margin for error to change much from what XSF is currently doing. 

It seems more likely to me that if the Nexy balls really are different from XSF, it may have to do with the material which makes them feel heavier.  If they really are heavier, they won't be able to stick with that recipe if they want to maintain ITTF approval.

Date Posted: 02/05/2015 at 11:35am
The rest of our stuff cleared customs and CEO Bogey is sending me some stuff, I get some stuff soon and should be able to weigh 12 at a time calibrated scale before adding the balls and try this with a few different base cups and get an average weight from the 12 balls down to .01 gram or less accuracy +/- .01 gram. My scale measures to .1 gram increments.

If anyone has a scale increments of .01 grams and can measure all 6 or 12 at a time that would be great too.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/05/2015 at 11:41am
My scales easily do that.

Date Posted: 02/05/2015 at 3:41pm

As to XSF braking on me more frequently than for others, it could be because I play a lot with a ~2300 junior who hits very hard and often with edges, and he's responsible for breaking 3 of my 4 cracked XSF balls.   I actually gave him one of my Nexy balls last night, after we played with it for a while, and asked him to use it as much as possible over the next few days to see how long it will take him to crack it.  I know this experiment is non-scientific, but I'm really curious about the result anyway :o)

So, I found out that the junior managed to crack the Nexy ball I gave him  on Tuesday ... which unscientifically proves that it's not the ball brand or playing conditions, but the player type ("Poly-Ball-Terminator") was the main reason for worse plastic ball durability at our club :o)

< id="_npfido" ="applicationpfido" height="0">

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 02/05/2015 at 3:44pm
Did the junior crack cell balls as well?

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 02/05/2015 at 3:46pm

Did the junior crack cell balls as well?

No, I can't recall him cracking celluloid balls more frequently than other players.

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 02/05/2015 at 4:25pm
In time you will know how they compare, when you play with several people.

Date Posted: 02/06/2015 at 12:36am
I am not sure whether it is good to come here and write or not.
Though I think I can say some small things, as long as I don't interupt too much to become annoying.

The weight of NEXY balls have no problem.
It is rather lighter than you might guess.
I think some day, people will post more information with their scale result.
The feeling comes from the material's difference.

NEXY ball does not contain much extra chemicals compared with other brand balls, and the feeling comes from that raw material.
So, it has plastic feeling.
And that feeling is heavier than other brand balls' ones.

Personally, the key issue about what ball is good, I think, heavily relies on the feeling.
So, NEXY ball was carefully studied about that, and you have the result now in the market.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Posted By: TSuBaSa
Date Posted: 02/06/2015 at 1:16am
It's no secret, with every kind of plastic balls(seamed, seamless, Japanese Chinese ) edge=crack.

I couldn't break any of my xushuoafa *** balls but my stupid friend (in his defense he wasn't playing for a while ) cracked two of them in 5 minutes...    

-------------
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

Posted By: igorponger
Date Posted: 02/06/2015 at 6:41pm
JUST EAT IT..

No two minds about it,,
--People shall leave moaning over the number of plastic balls destructed as soon as plastic gets down in price.

I used to never keep a count of celluloid breackage for celluloid is a cheap staff.   A cheap commodity , not worthy a single mention.

Please take a note, -- Plastic is now getting even cheaper than celuloid.      one factory of China does offer ITTF APPROVED plastic at 0.5 $ a piece. The cheapest price ever.

Don't go in for a fool's job, dont get worry over the balls gone. Balls are just a consumery, just the meat of the game to be eated in plenty every day.   

AGAIN, He looks an oddy, INSANE character who would go crying in loud voice over the meat he eats at dinner.,. Psycho ailing..
JUST EAT IT !!!

Posted By: Rich215
Date Posted: 02/06/2015 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

JUST EAT IT.. 
Don't go in for a fool's job, dont get worry over the balls gone. Balls are just a consumery, just the meat of the game to be eated in plenty every day.   
JUST EAT IT !!!

....so your saying the supposed meat substance in a big mac is no worse than a ny strip steak from a backyard grill?   

.....just eat it little johnny....its just meat!   Pig

-------------

Posted By: tommyzai
Date Posted: 02/07/2015 at 11:48am
I love the seamless balls. I never liked having seams. I realize celluloid balls are more elastic, which results in less variance between impact on the seamed area, but still . . . there was a difference, even if slight. Having no seam, especially in the poly ball age (less elasticity) makes sense and looks much cooler. I think the reason companies are manufacturing a seamed poly ball is because they have the machines and technique and don't want to change. Also, players . . . humans in general . . . are resistant to change, even if it's a change for the better. Tzai has spoken. ;-)

-------------
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]

Date Posted: 02/07/2015 at 1:50pm
I call such a thing in the military the "RTC Factor" since many in military resist change as well.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/10/2015 at 9:46pm
I got my 12 balls in from Florida and weighed all 12 at the same time after calibrating scale to accomodate the packaging.

I did it 3 times and got all 3 weights the same at low end of 33.4 grams for 12 balls.

That is 2.78 grams per ball.

Funny the technical leaflet from IITF says 2.7 grams and not 2.70 or 2.71 grams.

Hmmmm.

I would be interested to see the weight of 6 or 12 balls using a scal that measures to .01 grams. Mine only goes to .1 gram...

-------------

Date Posted: 02/10/2015 at 9:52pm
Here is the area that addresses it, I didn't reaad down far enough.

So my scale shows they are on high end of spec just a hair over. I hope my scale is measuring .02 gram heavy. Hard to tell as it is cheap scale, but I think it indicates weight is on the very upper part of what is allowed. I would love to see someone do it on a real good expensive scientific scale.

B.1 Weight Conformity

Law 2.3.2 specifies 2.7g, but any weight between 2.67 and 2.77g is acceptable for any one ball. No more than 1 ball out of the 24 sampled may be outside this range. The sample mean must be between 2.69 and 2.76g. In carrying out statistical calculations we treat any weights less than 2.60g or greater than 2.85g as outliers.

For non-celluloid balls, until January 1, 2016: Any weight between 2.65 and 2.82g is acceptable for any one ball, as well as for the sample mean.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/10/2015 at 10:14pm
With very accurate balances, the other seamless balls are just a touch lower than you are getting, in the range of around 2.74-2.76.  Stevenliang has some posts here you can see.  I would be surprised if Nexy is very different.

Posted By: mts388
Date Posted: 02/10/2015 at 10:44pm
I played with my new Nexy balls last night and liked them.  I only used one for 45 minutes, but will use them for 5 hours tomorrow to see how they last.  I have a feeling that they are a very good ball.

Posted By: NoRema
Date Posted: 02/10/2015 at 10:47pm
played with these balls for the first time tonight. Thankfully they were all round unlike the other balls i've tried. other club members were asking where i got them and i gladly pointed them in the right way. NOBODY in our club uses xsf and most of them just use the old 40mm premium nittakus. i feel this ball may have converted a few though

Date Posted: 02/11/2015 at 10:49am
Thank you (NoRema and mts388) for positive feedback.

I played them for about 5 weeks. Players at club love them and have no reason to find/test any other balls.

-------------
www.NexyUSA.com
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm

Date Posted: 02/11/2015 at 11:29am
bogey, is there a site where I can buy a box?

Posted By: mts388
Date Posted: 02/11/2015 at 12:58pm
NEXYUSA.com

Posted By: NoRema
Date Posted: 02/11/2015 at 1:57pm
I think he means in bulk

Date Posted: 02/11/2015 at 3:48pm
No, I just meant a few boxes.  I have about 150 really good XSF balls.  I just want to try the NExy to compare. Thanks for the info.

Date Posted: 02/11/2015 at 4:13pm
I ordered some last week for the same reason.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 02/12/2015 at 2:52pm

I ordered some last week for the same reason.

Let us know what you think of the Nexy balls after you've had a chance to play with them few times.

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 02/19/2015 at 8:10am
Anyone else had a chance to play with the Nexy poly balls recently?
If so, I'm curious whether your observations about playing characteristics and durability are similar or different from mine (in the initial post).

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 02/19/2015 at 8:36am
Not yet.  I ordered some.

Date Posted: 02/19/2015 at 10:39am
Let me just comment here that if all companies offered the same sort of customer service as bogeyhunter and BH-man at Nexy USA, the world would be a better place. 

Date Posted: 02/21/2015 at 7:16pm
I received the Nexy Balls from Bogeyhunter et al at Nexy USA who provide amazing customer service.  Ten thumbs up.  If you possibly can, you should support one of our members here. 

The Nexy Polyballs that I received were very good by any standard, that is the bottom line. 

However, they are as far as any of us could tell over about three hours, identical in their playing properties to XSF balls that were made in April.  When the ball was changed randomly we could not discern in free play or drills whether the ball in play was an XSF or the Nexy*.  (By we, I mean four players ranging from 2000 to 2400).  I have no idea when the Nexy Balls were made because no matter how hard I looked, I could not find the four-letter code on the box (I literally also took out a magnifying glass, still couldn't find it).  Their similarity also showed up in static bounce tests.  I can't say much about durability in one session of several hours, but I can say that the amount of wear after that was exactly what I have seen in the past for XSF (which means these balls are in much better shape after one session than a Nittaku Premium 40+).

That should not be regarded as criticism.  I like XSF balls (long-timers on this site will know that I was singing their praises before pretty much anyone else) and I liked these.  They were perfectly round, bright white and easy to see, excellent high bounce, and in short a perfect example of the seamless balls that are made from this factory.  You should have no hesitation to use them, but don't expect something new and better.

*Right after that, I played with a Nittaku Premium 40* and immediately noticed the difference and had a little trouble adjusting in time to do well in a couple of matches with it.

Date Posted: 02/21/2015 at 7:31pm
nexy balls are harder than butterfly, nittaku poly balls. quality is top notch.They are similar if not better than XSF in my book. 

-------------
My trade feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40170&title=viva-buy-sell-feedback

Date Posted: 02/22/2015 at 10:02am

I received the Nexy Balls from Bogeyhunter et al at Nexy USA who provide amazing customer service.  Ten thumbs up.  If you possibly can, you should support one of our members here. 

The Nexy Polyballs that I received were very good by any standard, that is the bottom line. 

However, they are as far as any of us could tell over about three hours, identical in their playing properties to XSF balls that were made in April.  When the ball was changed randomly we could not discern in free play or drills whether the ball in play was an XSF or the Nexy*.  (By we, I mean four players ranging from 2000 to 2400).  I have no idea when the Nexy Balls were made because no matter how hard I looked, I could not find the four-letter code on the box (I literally also took out a magnifying glass, still couldn't find it).  Their similarity also showed up in static bounce tests.  I can't say much about durability in one session of several hours, but I can say that the amount of wear after that was exactly what I have seen in the past for XSF (which means these balls are in much better shape after one session than a Nittaku Premium 40+).

That should not be regarded as criticism.  I like XSF balls (long-timers on this site will know that I was singing their praises before pretty much anyone else) and I liked these.  They were perfectly round, bright white and easy to see, excellent high bounce, and in short a perfect example of the seamless balls that are made from this factory.  You should have no hesitation to use them, but don't expect something new and better.

*Right after that, I played with a Nittaku Premium 40* and immediately noticed the difference and had a little trouble adjusting in time to do well in a couple of matches with it.

It's really funny how at your club everyone thought Nexy and XSF balls played identical, while in our club players felt there where distinguishable differences between them - perhaps we use different batch of XSF balls ... or the difference is just in your heads, LOL

Btw, did you you try to weigh the balls on your super-accurate scale?

Anyway, regardless of whether there's a difference, it looks like we agree that both balls are high quality, round and have very pleasant playing characteristics.

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 02/22/2015 at 10:23am
I will weigh a few on Monday.

Anyway I liked them (as I have all of the approved seamless balls I have tried) and I can recommend them with no hesitation.

Date Posted: 02/27/2015 at 11:52am
Nexy balls will be used at Broward TT tournament in April.
http://www.2xtremepong.com/

-------------
www.NexyUSA.com
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm

Date Posted: 02/27/2015 at 1:43pm
Well Baal, I am happy that the Minnions or Artesians didn't swipe Ur balls from the parcel pipeline, too much scheize tends to happen in the US of A in that respect. (Anyone remember the recently busted Postal worked caught with months of old mail in his car?)

-------------

Date Posted: 02/28/2015 at 8:54am
Also Lakeland TTC

http://www.floridatt.com/lakelandtt/news.php

-------------
www.NexyUSA.com
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm

Posted By: BRS
Date Posted: 02/28/2015 at 11:35am
Originally posted by bogeyhunter bogeyhunter wrote:

Also Lakeland TTC

http://www.floridatt.com/lakelandtt/news.php

This is great news!  I didn't see an announcement on either website.  I believe you, just letting you know.  The Broward entry form still says Joola Super-P for April, but they don't exactly update their website every day. 

The only drag is I just ordered 108 cell balls from Cole for practice because I thought Lakeland wouldn't choose a poly ball yet.  

Do you have any bulk packages of the Nexy balls?

And to anyone who has tried all three, which means Baal I guess, does it make any difference if I get XSF, Yinhe or Nexy for training?

Date Posted: 02/28/2015 at 11:55am
Originally posted by BRS BRS wrote:

And to anyone who has tried all three, which means Baal I guess, does it make any difference if I get XSF, Yinhe or Nexy for training?

Nexy or XSF are the one's I would go with. Nexy seems a little harder but plays the same way as XSF.
I even liked butterfly's poly ball, a tad but lighter but plays well and sounds almost normal.

-------------
My trade feedback here:

Date Posted: 02/28/2015 at 4:11pm
All three are good (and are too everyone at my club who has tried more than one of them, indistinguishable).  Go with whatever is cheaper and if they are the same, I can say that Nexy will be shipped very quickly by a long-time forum member, which is a big plus. 

Date Posted: 03/02/2015 at 10:49am
Cocoa beach soon to follow.

-------------
www.NexyUSA.com
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm

Date Posted: 03/02/2015 at 12:07pm
Kudos to Bogyhunter for pushing for adoption of seamless balls -- affordable, durable, good playing plastic balls.  Boycott seamed 40+ balls!

Date Posted: 03/02/2015 at 12:13pm

Kudos to Bogyhunter for pushing for adoption of seamless balls -- affordable, durable, good playing plastic balls.  Boycott seamed 40+ balls!

+1

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net