Print Page | Close Window

question of talent

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71293
Printed Date: 04/30/2024 at 9:31pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: question of talent
Posted By: AVarun
Subject: question of talent
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 7:54am

an absence or deficiency in talent, probably explains why some people don't improve much, even after years of playing.  There are people who have played 20, 30, 40, 50 even in some cases 60 years, while barely improving.  They don't possess the feel, intuition, instinct, savoir-faire, pattern recognition et al for the game.  And it's certainly not for want of coaching and training. Many of these players have spent years and considerable money, to improve, but it doesn't show either in their results, or their presence at the table.  And when you combine absence/deficiency of talent with weakness in athleticism, hand-eye coordination, determination, commitment, and a general stiffness of approach, you get a pretty complete picture.

There are these pompous, self-important, arrogant, know-it-alls who belch out words like " recognisable training" and "skills", the skills themselves of course coming  exclusively from, that training. But they can't explain the absence of improvement, despite recognisable training. Or why others do improve, without much certified coaching or training.  The latter is usually dismissed, with not a little envy,  by the know-it-alls as 'fluke' or 'stupid', or at best eccentric.

And I hope people can read between the lines :-), and see that I'm really attacking the pompous know-it-alls, not the first group of players!

Replies:
Posted By: Tassie52
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 8:38am
Yes, you're absolutely right.  Every single day I see people walk in off the street, they've never picked up a bat before in their lives but immediately they're beating 60 year old no-hopers like me because they have talent!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, that's not what you're saying, though, is it? You're talking about people who have "feel, intuition, instinct, savoir-faire, pattern recognition et al for the game", right?  If that's the case, could you please explain for me what each of these terms mean?  Because I have never, ever, ever met a player who had "feel" apart from what they had learnt through countless hours of practice.  I've never met anyone with "intuition" which was anything other than a learnt behaviour gained from countless hours of practice.  I've never met anyone with the instinct or the "savoir-faire" or pattern recognition for great table tennis apart from (you guessed it) countless hours of practice.

If you have met someone who plays high level table tennis without ever having played before, I'm sure there are lots and lots of sports scientists who'd like to meet them.  Please add me to your extensive list of "pompous, self-important, arrogant, know-it-alls".  I would count it an honour.

Posted By: bes
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 9:51am
Three prominent groups I see:

Group 1:  This pretty common group consists of very experienced players who have barely improved in the last XX years.  None of them EVER seek coaching.  None of them EVER practice.  They come to the club, then start playing matches - usually with a small subset of like-minded, similar level players.  These players never change their strokes, improve their footwork, practice serves, or even pay attention to why they might have won or lost a point, game, or match.  They just play.  Most of them actually play at a pretty good level - but it is essentially the same level they were playing a decade ago.  They also have a great time and enjoy TT immensely!

Group 2:  This group is made up of players that do get training, but still struggle.  Most appear at clubs after playing with horrible technique (no training) for MANY years.  They have DEEPLY ingrained flaws in technique, footwork, positioning, and tactics (what worked in their garage doesn't work so well in the club).  They also generally prefer to play (almost) all the time rather than practice.  Some have pretty impressive skills regardless of technical flaws (oddities?).  These players generally improve faster than the above group, but rarely improve as quickly as they wand.  Some of them improve quite a bit and fairly quickly though!

Group 3:  This group is composed of players who REALLY work on their games.  Even among this group, some players really do pick things up much quicker than others, and some pretty clearly have more potential than others.  But with that being said, a lot of that potential is due to their practice habits.  The most successful of this group have a (relatively unusual) willingness to seek advice and coaching, do what is needed to fix flaws, learn new skills, and implement them (regardless of initial outcome) in matches.  They generally are more prone to seriously and honestly ponder why they lose or win - rather than making excuses for losses and spraining their arm patting themselves on the back for wins.  They set goals regularly, e.g. I want to be able to beat Player A by summer and would like to be able to compete with player B by fall.  They daydream about new serves, new ways to handle troublesome serves, or tactical improvements - rather than how awesome it would be to get the same blade and rubber as some top 10 player.

I'm not saying that ANYONE can reach an elite level in TT.  Very, very few will ever make the US top 100, much less the ITTF top 100 (or 1000!).  Elite level TT takes some special skills for sure, but it also requires a LOT of hard work.  I'm convinced that anyone willing to put in the work can improve pretty steadily - and likely up to a pretty strong level.

bes

Posted By: AVarun
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 10:28am
"If you have met someone who plays high level table tennis without ever having played before,..."

Oh no,  those players have definitely played a huge amount of hours, but there's a contrast between their improvement, and the absence of improvement of a large number other players, despite the enormous time and money sunk into TT, by the latter group.  And that must be coming from innate talent. That's all I'm really saying. Nothing about people walking off the street and beating experienced players.  That doesn't happen except in extremely exceptional cases.  Feel, initution, instinct is all part of that ability. Those qualities, which are probably already there, kick in even more, with increased playing. It's a sense of how the ball will move under  certain circumstances.

Posted By: TenNine
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 12:45pm
IMHO, it's about application and motivation. 

Talent or affinity doesn't really exist - at least not in a way that matters - unless you hone and improve your skills.

Application and motivation makes you a better player provided you see, are shown, know or understand how to improve. It doesn't come from the inside: it's an external influence. But... no amount of coaching and honing will help unless there is application and motivation. It's the true force that drives skills improvement.

"It's a sense of how the ball will move under  certain circumstances." 
In my view, this is the perfect definition of the result of honing and training. Hours of application result in that sense. It's not in anybody's DNA.

Posted By: wturber
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by AVarun AVarun wrote:

"If you have met someone who plays high level table tennis without ever having played before,..."

Oh no,  those players have definitely played a huge amount of hours, but there's a contrast between their improvement, and the absence of improvement of a large number other players, despite the enormous time and money sunk into TT, by the latter group.  And that must be coming from innate talent. That's all I'm really saying. Nothing about people walking off the street and beating experienced players.  That doesn't happen except in extremely exceptional cases.  Feel, initution, instinct is all part of that ability. Those qualities, which are probably already there, kick in even more, with increased playing. It's a sense of how the ball will move under  certain circumstances.

There have been long and involved discussions about this and the conclusions I've come to are:

1) Nobody has ever been able to identify prior talent in untrained individuals.  Talent is something only ever inferred after significant training and influence has been experienced by the individual.

2) Quantifying training is very difficult since people respond to different approaches differently.  Something a basic as a coach's training style can matter a lot.  It is also difficult/impossible to separate previous experience from the mix. Further still, it is hard/impossible to quantify motivation.

Given these problems, I find the notion of talent (whether it exists or not) to currently be useless.  All you can do is train.  And if the training doesn't seem to be working, try some other method.  And if that doesn't work, decide if the effort is worth it.  But until you put in the long, hard and focused effort, you really have no idea what your potential, or the potential of some other person, actually is.  

So as a practical matter, I try not to pre-judge a person's potential by anything other than maybe how early/late in life a person starts training (there's good physical and practical evidence about the benefits of training while young), the quality of training that is is available to them and to some degree what their level of motivations seems to be. 

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX

Posted By: Chicobo
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 1:00pm
I had a similar discussion with my friend who comes from a different athletic background than me. If there aren't any physical impediments to improving, we came to the same conclusion although of different levels. We both believe you can reach a "high" level of playing with work alone and 0 talent (Ex. being 5 foot tall in basketball as a genetic talent example since those are easier to see). For me, I believe you can become a Division 1 athlete (~2000 usatt maybe) while he believed you can reach the professional level (~2350 usatt?) as long as you don't have anything working against you. (Ex. having an amputated arm/leg). There are other factors that have been mentioned already - such as environment and quality of coaching that are also important.

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by TenNine TenNine wrote:

Talent or affinity doesn't really exist - at least not in a way that matters - unless you hone and improve your skills.

I tend to agree I'm just a bit less absolute about it. 

I think the vast majority of assessments of talent are backwards looking with the assessment made after the fact and the presence of talent inferred by the existence of observable skills.  What is really known/understood is the presence of those skills. That's it. 

If such a thing as talent exists, I think we'll find it to be mostly a small factor.  I think we may find it to be some fraction of a percent edge that maybe helps (and only helps) make the difference between a Number 1 or dominant player and someone who is elite, but who can't break the top 10.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 1:19pm
I agree that we have no operationally useful and widely known definition of talent in TT, but in general, talent in a complex activity like TT doesn't explain anything unless you compare groups of people and try to find what disiguishrs them from other groups of people, then apply this to a third group and see how well it predicts their success.

It's likely to exist, but some of the posts above show a subtle misunderstanding of the modern concept of talent grounded in statistics.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 1:22pm
The idea that no one has ever been able to identify talent on untrained individuals may be true, but is besides the point. After all, there is no reason why a modest amount of training isn't the kind of test required to identify talent.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

It's likely to exist, but some of the posts above show a subtle misunderstanding of the modern concept of talent grounded in statistics.

I'm not sure what the modern concept is, but if "talent" exists I suspect that it is really a bundle of genetic potentials.  For instance, a person might have slightly more acute vision, a slightly faster reflexes, a more optimal skeletal structure or muscle fiber profile, etc.  And I think it may be very difficult to distinguish some of these things from early environmental influences starting as early as the womb that influence not only the physical person, but the person's brain and the they process information.  

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Posted By: john18
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 1:38pm
We already have this discussion here and when I thought about it, it came in my mind that maybe the disagreement is only a question of etymology.
It's true that "talent" can be numbered or defined precisely. But, for me, when you have for example natural good eye and body coordination, flexible and strong body, etc. this is part of the "talent" (for TT).
Maybe, if we call this "natural good skills/abilities" or something else, we would agree more.
And don't tell me that "natural good skills/abilities" (like those above) or whatever you call it don't exist. :)
For example, for 2 people with the same training, one will always run faster than the other.

Posted By: ndotson
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 1:38pm
I agree with NextLevel that using the word "talent" doesn't explain anything in table tennis unless you define your terms. If you divide the game in terms of 'strategy' and 'athleticism', then you can vaguely begin to assess a players talent in either of these categories. We've all seen superior athletes with no strategy lose to inferior athletes with a basic strategy. Athletes tend to have better technique, footwork, hand-eye coordination, endurance, etc. Strategists tend to have better tactics, tricks, intuition, 'savoir-faire', scouting abilities, etc. Players with either of these talents (athletic or strategic) can rise to a high level with determination. This is part of what makes this sport so great. Players who are talented in both areas can become great.
Just my two cents. Smile

-------------
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 1:39pm
Wturber,

Everything human is grounded in genetics. I agree with you that the combination required to express itself with the right exposure is not known. For a complex sport/activity, there may even be more than one route, as you pointed out. But what constitutes talent doesn't have to be genes unless the model you are building is looking in the genes. Being exposed to a certain fromof radiation at a certain age could influence talent. I am just putting that notion out there as ridiculous as it may sound to point out that talent doesn't have to be innate. It just has to be something that sticks with you and distinguishes you from others without respect to cause and of course, non-trivially predicts success.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 1:39pm

The idea that no one has ever been able to identify talent on untrained individuals may be true, but is besides the point. After all, there is no reason why a modest amount of training isn't the kind of test required to identify talent.

I think there's plenty or reason.  The study on youth hockey in Canada demonstrated how easy it was to routinely confuse age differences of less than a year with talent. The talent tests they were conducting ended up being hugely distorted by age.  That's why a hugely disproportionate number of pro Canadian hockey players have birthdays early in the year. 

Beyond that, all training isn't equal, all students don't respond the same, they don't necessarily progress at the same rates, nor do they necessarily start from the same place with the same backgrounds.  

I think making assessments of "talent" and all that it implies (especially with children) based on a modest amount of training can be rather dangerous.  You introduce issues of self-fulfilling prophecies and the Pygmalion effect that can profoundly affect the way a child grows, matures and views him or her self. In fact, that's one of my major problems with the notion of talent.  It makes it all too easy to cubbyhole kids early and to help them cubbyhole themselves.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 1:40pm

IMHO, it's about application and motivation. 

Application and motivation makes you a better player provided you see, are shown, know or understand how to improve. It doesn't come from the inside: it's an external influence. But... no amount of coaching and honing will help unless there is application and motivation. It's the true force that drives skills improvement.

"It's a sense of how the ball will move under  certain circumstances." 
In my view, this is the perfect definition of the result of honing and training. Hours of application result in that sense. It's not in anybody's DNA.

I trained 2 kids one for 18months and one 8 months , the later has advanced way more, how you can explain that?, i beat aplyers that train more than i do and they do fitnnes work.

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 1:47pm

Wturber,

Everything human is grounded in genetics. I agree with you that the combination required to express itself with the right exposure is not known. For a complex sport/activity, there may even be more than one route, as you pointed out. But what constitutes talent doesn't have to be genes unless the model you are building is looking in the genes. Being exposed to a certain fromof radiation at a certain age could influence talent. I am just putting that notion out there as ridiculous as it may sound to point out that talent doesn't have to be innate. It just has to be something that sticks with you and distinguishes you from others without respect to cause and of course, non-trivially predicts success.

Talent is generally used to describe "innate" capabilities.  The definition you are offering fails to distinguish "talent" from acquired skills. And while I know people use the term that way casually, I think it tends to muddy the waters in a discussion like this. I'm OK with the notion that there may be innate aspects to our being that aren't genetic.   But I think your description that it needs to merely be something that sticks with us is far too broad.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

I trained 2 kids one for 18months and one 8 months , the later has advanced way more, how you can explain that?, i beat aplyers that train more than i do and they do fitnnes work.

Motivation, training style, background, other distractions and so on.  The factors are many and interact in complex ways. 

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by john18 john18 wrote:

We already have this discussion here and when I thought about it, it came in my mind that maybe the disagreement is only a question of etymology.
It's true that "talent" can be numbered or defined precisely. But, for me, when you have for example natural good eye and body coordination, flexible and strong body, etc. this is part of the "talent" (for TT).
Maybe, if we call this "natural good skills/abilities" or something else, we would agree more.
And don't tell me that "natural good skills/abilities" (like those above) or whatever you call it don't exist. :)
For example, for 2 people with the same training, one will always run faster than the other.

If you don't have detailed info about the person, their experience and motivations, how can you know if the attribute is "natural" or not?

Yes, some narrow attributes such as physical size and proportions can be clear benefits is certain narrow activities like running.  For instance certain body types are certainly not optimal for certain running events, gymnastics etc.  But I wouldn't extrapolate such things to the more complex area of a person's natural good eye, coordination etc. You set yourself up to be easily fooled if you do.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 2:00pm

I trained 2 kids one for 18months and one 8 months , the later has advanced way more, how you can explain that?

Since I don't know these kids and since a significant number of factors come into play, I can't answer that question. And neither can you. 
But for the sake of argument, here's my answer: No8 is far more motivated and applies himself much better than No18, hence the difference in results. If No8 applies and practises what you taught him, in matchplay - but No18 doesn't - he should advance much quicker.

i beat aplyers that train more than i do and they do fitnnes work.
Again I can't answer that because I don't know the first thing about the people involved. But to humour you, here's a possible answer: Winning matters more to you, than to them. Again, it's about application and what motivates you and them that makes up the difference.

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

I think there's plenty or reason.  The study on youth hockey in Canada demonstrated how easy it was to routinely confuse age differences of less than a year with talent. The talent tests they were conducting ended up being hugely distorted by age.  That's why a hugely disproportionate number of pro Canadian hockey players have birthdays early in the year. 

Beyond that, all training isn't equal, all students don't respond the same, they don't necessarily progress at the same rates, nor do they necessarily start from the same place with the same backgrounds.  

I think making assessments of "talent" and all that it implies (especially with children) based on a modest amount of training can be rather dangerous.  You introduce issues of self-fulfilling prophecies and the Pygmalion effect that can profoundly affect the way a child grows, matures and views him or her self. In fact, that's one of my major problems with the notion of talent.  It makes it all too easy to cubbyhole kids early and to help them cubbyhole themselves.

Again, nothing you have written is relevant to what I stated.  "A modest amount of training is necessary to identify talent" is different from "a modest amount of training is all that is necessary to identify talent correctly".  And whether kids respond to training differently talks about the limitations of the test, not the necessity of the test.  I think you have a clear concern with improper talent identification, but while such concerns are valid, they seem to be moral and quite separate from the practical need to make social decisions, even when they can be made in error.  These decisions have to be made somehow.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 2:03pm

If you don't have detailed info about the person, their experience and motivations, how can you know if the attribute is "natural" or not?

Perhaps, one needs to have talent in identifying talent in others. Wink

-------------
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 2:12pm

Wturber,

Talent is generally used to describe "innate" capabilities.  The definition you are offering fails to distinguish "talent" from acquired skills. And while I know people use the term that way casually, I think it tends to muddy the waters in a discussion like this. I'm OK with the notion that there may be innate aspects to our being that aren't genetic.   But I think your description that it needs to merely be something that sticks with us is far too broad.

Is height a innate trait or an acquired trait?  After all, you often need enough food to get sufficiently tall.

The innate capabilities definition in the form you make it will not survive serious scrutiny.  After all, you argue that since we don't know the ideal way to get all genes to express themselves, it's quite possible that our traditional ways of training people leave many talents hidden. I find the notion fairly impractical even if not beyond reason. 

However, where I agree with you is that there are some traits/phenotypes that people would reasonably agree to be innate and some that most people would debate.  My response is that talent makes no sense apart from comparing two groups of people and figuring out what makes one set different from the other and seeing whether that feature is reasonably predictive for a third group of people with some individuals with traits in both groups.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 2:35pm
On one hand, NextLevel, you are right in saying that 'talent makes no sense', but then defining talent by way of comparing and contrasting features between groups of subjects is incorrect as you are now observing one's 'skill' not their 'talent'. Talent isn't measurable in that way. Simple and advanced metrics cannot prove talent, they can only point to it. Talent is something different, unmeasurable, and often squandered or undiscovered. Think about someone who is considered "clutch" under pressure. They may not be the most skilled player, but something innate often moves them to perform (perhaps beyond their usual skill) in the clutch.
Assessing talent is subjective, and requires informed opinions. This is why a television show like the X-Factor (or any other 'talent' contest) requires a host of judges to determine the winner. You can't just measure who the most talented singer is.

-------------
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 2:48pm
Ndotson,

It of course depends on how you define talent. The kind of talent people are looking for on the TV shows is not the kind of talent I am talking about in the behavioral genetics or psychometric view. This is what wturber and I are discussing.

I agree with him that the notion of talent is used loosely and dangerously. On the other side, I disagree with him in that there is no practical alternative to some version of it even with all its limitations.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 3:30pm

Again, nothing you have written is relevant to what I stated.  "A modest amount of training is necessary to identify talent" is different from "a modest amount of training is all that is necessary to identify talent correctly".  And whether kids respond to training differently talks about the limitations of the test, not the necessity of the test.  I think you have a clear concern with improper talent identification, but while such concerns are valid, they seem to be moral and quite separate from the practical need to make social decisions, even when they can be made in error.  These decisions have to be made somehow.

And if I had made the point that training isn't a test, then perhaps I'd be criticized for being too persnickety about your choice of words.   It is sometimes difficult to figure out what somebody means versus what they say. When are they exercising care and when are they being a bit careless? Tough call at times.

What you said was, "After all, there is no reason why a modest amount of training isn't the kind of test required to identify talent."

Given what we don't know about talent, we don't know if there's a reason or not.  A modest amount of training may or may not be necessary to identify talent. And that necessity might even vary depending on the particular talent in question.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 3:42pm

Is height a innate trait or an acquired trait?  After all, you often need enough food to get sufficiently tall.

It appears to be both.  

The innate capabilities definition in the form you make it will not survive serious scrutiny.  After all, you argue that since we don't know the ideal way to get all genes to express themselves, it's quite possible that our traditional ways of training people leave many talents hidden. I find the notion fairly impractical even if not beyond reason. 

I guess that pretty much sums up my overall sense of the use of the term "talent."  The concept isn't practical or reasonable at this time. 

However, where I agree with you is that there are some traits/phenotypes that people would reasonably agree to be innate and some that most people would debate.  My response is that talent makes no sense apart from comparing two groups of people and figuring out what makes one set different from the other and seeing whether that feature is reasonably predictive for a third group of people with some individuals with traits in both groups.

Do you mean predictive for the group or predictive for individuals within the group? Also, if the feature is predominately external, is that talent?  How do you differentiate internal from external features? (See your question about height.)

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 3:45pm
I agree with the last thing you wrote. But it clearly reduces the importance of the claim that talent has never been identified in untrained individuals, which is what I was arguing against. The issue when identifying talent is finding something that correlates well with what is being measured. Obviously, everything correlates with itself perfectly, but we can use response to a modest amount of training to argue that the individual will respond well to training in the future, including training possibly not yet performed. There may be other factors at work as well, but the question is not whether the test is perfect, but whether it is reasonably predictive.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by ndotson ndotson wrote:

On one hand, NextLevel, you are right in saying that 'talent makes no sense', but then defining talent by way of comparing and contrasting features between groups of subjects is incorrect as you are now observing one's 'skill' not their 'talent'. Talent isn't measurable in that way. Simple and advanced metrics cannot prove talent, they can only point to it. Talent is something different, unmeasurable, and often squandered or undiscovered. Think about someone who is considered "clutch" under pressure. They may not be the most skilled player, but something innate often moves them to perform (perhaps beyond their usual skill) in the clutch.

I think that what most people point to as talent is a combination of observing existing skills in the light of the observer's personal/cultural bias.  And it is frequently tautological.  High achievement and skill levels are take as direct evidence of talent and talent as a concept is justified by the presence of select individuals who have high achievement and skill levels. 

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 3:55pm

I trained 2 kids one for 18months and one 8 months , the later has advanced way more, how you can explain that?

Since I don't know these kids and since a significant number of factors come into play, I can't answer that question. And neither can you. 
But for the sake of argument, here's my answer: No8 is far more motivated and applies himself much better than No18, hence the difference in results. If No8 applies and practises what you taught him, in matchplay - but No18 doesn't - he should advance much quicker.

i beat aplyers that train more than i do and they do fitnnes work.
Again I can't answer that because I don't know the first thing about the people involved. But to humour you, here's a possible answer: Winning matters more to you, than to them. Again, it's about application and what motivates you and them that makes up the difference.

both kids were 9 a boy and a girl ,the girl liked basket better but  after 2 weeks could slowloop  5 shots in a row, she wasnt to dedicated  i never taught the usual drill to teach looping even she could loop no spin balls, the boy was dedicated to multiballs but no great adavance.

sometimes i feel bad cos mates who spend more time doing physical conditioning like jogging 4 km a day  and money spent on private lesson have lesser succes than me i just play ladder and EJ

Posted By: roundrobin
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 3:58pm
My friend was in the Army training to become a Marine.  He said the training was definitely the Army's way to id talent, as many of them failed to complete the first stage, including him. 
Regarding table tennis, many Chinese coaches at the highest level believe if you give valuable training to inferior talent, you will definitely waste it...it's way too expensive to do so, but common in many countries where table tennis is less popular.  Most "reasonable" candidates can reach 2500-2600 with consistent, top training, but not everyone can be trained to become 2700-2800.  It's no different than training a person to become a top astrophysicist, pianist or brain surgeon.  Definitely not EVERYONE can do it, no matter how hard they try.  In contrast, most young people can be taught to finish college or become a so-so musician.

-------------
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 4:01pm

... but we can use response to a modest amount of training to argue that the individual will respond well to training in the future, including training possibly not yet performed. There may be other factors at work as well, but the question is not whether the test is perfect, but whether it is reasonably predictive.

Sure, but I wouldn't call that a test for talent. It might reveal motivation, different rates of physical maturity, background, etc.  And as a pragmatic measure, that's probably about the best that coaches and sports organizations can do.  But I think that such coaches and organizations should be cautioned against taking the results to the next step and suggesting that they've identified innate abilities or limitations.  They should be especially cautious when applying such notions to children.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

My friend was in the Army training to become a Marine.  He said the training was definitely the Army's way to id talent, as many of them failed to complete the first stage, including him. 
Regarding table tennis, many Chinese coaches at the highest level believe if you give valuable training to inferior talent, you will definitely waste it...it's way too expensive to do so, but common in many countries where table tennis is less popular.  Most "reasonable" candidates can reach 2500-2600 with consistent, top training, but not everyone can be trained to become 2700-2800.  It's no different than training a person to become a top astrophysicist, pianist or brain surgeon.  Definitely not EVERYONE can do it, no matter how hard they try.  In contrast, most young people can be taught to finish college or become a so-so musician.

The problem is in figuring out who can or can't.  And the reality is that we really don't know until they do.  And even if they "don't" it is often hard or impossible to say that they "couldn't." 

Didn't the Chinese coaches initially deny Deng Yaping a spot on the National Team because she was too short - even though she had already clearly shown the skills to compete at the highest levels.  She, of course, went on to prove that she was perhaps the best female player of all time. What would history show if they hadn't relented?  Preconceptions are dangerous things. 

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Posted By: jrscatman
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 4:16pm
Actually there was a long thread on about.com about this topic. Sean O'Neil was arguing on the side of hard work over talent. He mentioned, he was asked to train with Swedish National team. He was the hardest working person in group - yet 3 of the Swedish players - Walder, Persson and Applegren all outperformed O'Neil in the professional ranks. 
This clearly demonstrates hard work will get you to a very high level but at that level there is something else that differentiates the champions from the rest - I would say "this" can be considered "talent".

-------------
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Actually there was a long thread on about.com about this topic. Sean O'Neil was arguing on the side of hard work over talent. He mentioned, he was asked to train with Swedish National team. He was the hardest working person in group - yet 3 of the Swedish players - Walder, Persson and Applegren all outperformed O'Neil in the professional ranks. 
This clearly demonstrates hard work will get you to a very high level but at that level there is something else that differentiates the champions from the rest - I would say "this" can be considered "talent".

As though his limited amount of time training in Sweden somehow defines the totality of training or the training history of the four players you mentioned. 

If you can tease out all the variables that could reasonably affect a result, then you might be able to identify something that you can call talent.  The problem is in teasing out all those variables.  Time after time when someone tries to point to something and call it "talent", I see them conveniently leaving out the consideration of lots of relevant variables. They over-simplify.

My personal and clearly subjective view is that things like motivation and access to key resources at important times of development are probably much greater factors in outcomes for individuals (assuming no obvious handicap) than is talent. 

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 4:38pm

... but we can use response to a modest amount of training to argue that the individual will respond well to training in the future, including training possibly not yet performed. There may be other factors at work as well, but the question is not whether the test is perfect, but whether it is reasonably predictive.

Sure, but I wouldn't call that a test for talent. It might reveal motivation, different rates of physical maturity, background, etc.  And as<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> a pragmatic measure, that's probably about the best that coaches and sports organizations can do.  But I think that such coaches and organizations should be cautioned against taking the results to the next step and suggesting that they've identified innate abilities or limitations.  They should be especially cautious when applying such notions to children.</span>

Yes, but those things are talents in the context of the ultimate goal. The usefulness of the notion of talent is more important that its absolute correctness. Error is a fact of life, not just in table tennis.

Usually the difference between levels of talent gradation is not as ominous as you are making out, but in life, only big stories get retold, even when clearly wrong. Anyone who believes that the initial judgment on Deng Yaping was a final one with no recourse for correction is being fairly ridiculous, IMO.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobcook/2012/01/10/the-reality-behind-the-myth-of-the-coach-who-cut-michael-jordan-in-high-school/" rel="nofollow - http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobcook/2012/01/10/the-reality-behind-the-myth-of-the-coach-who-cut-michael-jordan-in-high-school/

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 4:59pm
My good friend Wei Wang (former U.S. National women's champ) was on the same city team as Deng Yaping back in the days.  The truth is even if you got overlooked by the CNT at one moment, you will still get noticed if you performed well in other venues.  So I think the danger of overlooking talent in almost every field -including table tennis- it's more trivial than some tend to believe.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 5:18pm
There are way too many cases throughout table tennis history in Asia where coaches were proven right regarding talent.  In Taiwan, for example, you could buy your son a spot on the National team (and not just for table tennis) if you had the right connections.  The same in Thailand and many other Southeast Asian countries.  Coaches knew in their guts that these kids had no "talent" to amount to anything in the chosen sport, but these kids received the best training money could buy, regardless.  99.99% of the time the coaches were right.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 5:19pm

Yes, but those things are talents in the context of the ultimate goal. The usefulness of the notion of talent is more important that its absolute correctness. Error is a fact of life, not just in table tennis.
I've yet to see any usefulness that can't be accomplished with the concept of "skills" or "achievment."  
I'm not looking for perfection. I'm fine with good.  But so far the talent concept doesn't seem to be very good.  In fact I think the way it is frequently used is bad.

Usually the difference between levels of talent gradation is not as ominous as you are making out, but in life, only big stories get retold, even when clearly wrong. Anyone who believes that the initial judgment on Deng Yaping was a final one with no recourse for correction is being fairly ridiculous, IMO.

Never said anything about there being no recourse.  The decision was quite obviously revisited.  The point was that errors of assessment can be easily made even at the highest levels by the most capable people and even in the face of tremendous supporting evidence. In this case the error was was based on some "understood" notion that a height below five feet was too significant of a handicap.  That was clearly not true. We should be careful not to overestimate what we think we know.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 5:23pm

I've yet to see any usefulness that can't be accomplished with the concept of "skills" or "achievment."  
I'm not looking for perfection. I'm fine with good.  But so far the talent concept doesn't seem to be very good.  In fact I think the way it is frequently used is bad.

Never said anything about there being no recourse.  The decision was quite obviously revisited.  The point was that errors of assessment can be easily made even at the highest levels by the most capable people and even in the face of tremendous supporting evidence. In this case the error was was based on some "understood" notion that a height below five feet was too significant of a handicap.  That was clearly not true. We should be careful not to overestimate what we think we know.

I agree with the first part, but I think even if talent is the wrong word, something to predict and assess how people should be selected is necessary and that if it is better than being random, then it ends up being a matter of "talent", even if talent is the wrong word.

I think that the second part has too many anecdotes built into it to be credible.  I attached the Michael Jordan article for that very reason.  The assessment against Deng Yaping has far less importance than you are trying to make out and is likely cited more often by people who take the fact that a relatively small mistake like that with little costs is a sign that a system is not infallible - which is not news to anyone who recognizes that infallibility is not the goal of such systems!

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 6:00pm

I agree with the first part, but I think even if talent is the wrong word, something to predict and assess how people should be selected is necessary and that if it is better than being random, then it ends up being a matter of "talent", even if talent is the wrong word.

I think that the second part has too many anecdotes built into it to be credible.  I attached the Michael Jordan article for that very reason.  The assessment against Deng Yaping has far less importance than you are trying to make out and is likely cited more often by people who take the fact that a relatively small mistake like that with little costs is a sign that a system is not infallible - which is not news to anyone who recognizes that infallibility is not the goal of such systems!

I'm only going by the reports I've read.  I don't know if they are credible or not.

I mentioned it mainly in response to RoundRobin's post to point out that the "wisdom" of the Chinese coaches should be open to being questioned.  Do they as a group know how to find and develop world champion table tennis players?  Absolutely.  But I'm not at all confident that this makes them reliable resources for insight into innate ability.  

The mixing of age related effects with "talent" in Canadian youth hockey is a better general illustration of how you might think you've identified talent but the reality is that a good chunk of what you identified is that older kids will tend to outperform younger ones and that kids who receive superior early training will tend to outperform those who don't. 

...........................................................................................
BTW, from the horse's mouth. It wasn't just one decision.  It was a systematic denial that Deng Yaping apparently overcame through tremendous effort and will.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/08/22/talkasia.dengyaping/

"AR: You were winning all these competitions but not allowed to compete with the national team, because they said you were too short. What was that like for you, knowing that they were criticizing you for something that you could do nothing about?

DY: Why join the provincial team? All coaches wouldn't accept it. They think I won't be good in the future, no future at all. So even you win the most of championships in the same age in that province, but you haven't a chance to join the team because they think you won't be good. Which is not fair for me personally, but because table tennis such a strong sport in China and the team coach has so many selections and so many candidates to choose good athletes, you have to show you will be good in the future. But technically you have to show some issues. So I cried through the night, but I want to show, but I don't know if I will be good. But I want to try. So he gave me the chance and I joined the Jiangzhou city team, so I trained so hard every day. Get up at 5:45 and we get together at 6 to run and running for about half hour or 40, but it's harder for me because I'm short and smaller."

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 6:16pm
DYP was essentially an outlier who succeeded under particular circumstances (an one-of-an-kind LP bh blocker with 38mm ball in her era).  For sure she wouldn't have been able to succeed with her teammates' style (e.g. Qiao Hong's).  It's hardly a proof that the system grossly miscalculated.  In all likelihood, the other Chinese table tennis greats would have taken up her place in history if she was completely overlooked.

-------------

Posted By: sandiway
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 6:19pm
If you have plenty to choose from, it doesn't matter if you overlook the most talented.

In China, who knows how many players who would have turned out better than Ma Long or Zhang Jike have been overlooked? I bet the number is not small.

(For example, I heard that Ma Long needed connections to make the national team. Without those connections pulling their weight, he would not have made it. And he is arguably the best player in 
 history not to win the world championship (yet).)

Sandiway

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 6:23pm

DYP was essentially an outlier who succeeded under particular circumstances (an one-of-an-kind LP bh blocker with 38mm ball in her era).  For sure she wouldn't have been able to succeed with her teammates' style (e.g. Qiao Hong's).  It's hardly a proof that the system grossly miscalculated.  In all likelihood, the other Chinese table tennis greats would have taken up her place in history if she was completely overlooked.

The point I was going to make precisely.  You, me and sandiway are all on the same page.  It's not like the coaches had huge incentives to get it right. And in any case, she got the opportunity.  And she probably played a lot before anyone knew what her final height would be.

The Canadian Hockey story is the kind of stuff that Gladwell likes to cite without showing the whole story.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/1/4/2681038/out-liar-what-malcolm-gladwell-gets-wrong-about-the-relative-age" rel="nofollow - http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/1/4/2681038/out-liar-what-malcolm-gladwell-gets-wrong-about-the-relative-age

It's a long article but if you read it, you see there are two things - the supposed bias is greater in non-Canadian players in the NHL, and that the effects don't seem to prevent a better balance being arrived at later in the NHL at the higher levels.  In other words, the selection process is likely picking the best players to achieve the current goals, but other talented players find their way through at a signficant rate.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 6:23pm

The mixing of age related effects with "talent" in Canadian youth hockey is a better general illustration of how you might think you've identified talent but the reality is that a good chunk of what you identified is that older kids will tend to outperform younger ones and that kids who receive superior early training will tend to outperform those who don't. 
This is described in a book called "Outliers", if I recall correctly.

Deng Yaping isn't alone. Wang Hao (the RPB guy, not the chopper), had to overcome a similar situation as he too was dismissed as not "talented" enough. His "talent" was eventually recognised too. 
How did that happen? The same way it happened for Deng - they worked harder than anybody else. And then some.
Their "talents" didn't see them through and didn't make them world champions - their application, motivation and hard work did, IMHO.

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 6:36pm

The same way it happened for Deng - they worked harder than anybody else. And then some.
Their "talents" didn't see them through and didn't make them world champions - their application, motivation and hard work did, IMHO.

Hard work and dedication aren't nearly enough.  You also need tons of talent.  As Chinese, we know and respect the South Koreans as the hardest training athletes in the world, more so than any Chinese national team player, but there aren't that many SK world champions.  It's more than likely that the athletes they have trained for table tennis weren't the best that they could identify at an earlier age.  This is the exact same issue plaguing most Western countries as well.

Bottom line is Wang Hao and DYP's talents got recognized by the CNT and they did receive the training and opportunities they deserved, so the Chinese system of recognizing talent did not fail them, just worked out later than usual.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 6:44pm

Yes.  And if she had been overlooked she would surely have been described as not having enough talent  - and the proof of that conclusion would be her lack of success.  So much of what passes for a description of talent is really just a self-fulfilling narrative.

The point isn't to show that the system has flaws.  All systems do.  The point is to show that the fundamental ideas that coaches have can be seriously flawed.  And it is the outlier that helps us notice the flawed ideas.  But as you point out, systems can work fine while embracing flaws - depending on what you consider to be "fine."

What I find interesting about Deng Yaping is not only that she succeeded, but that she was dramatically successful - some arguing that she was the greatest ever or at least in that discussion.  I agree that other Chinese greats would have almost surely taken her place but it is unlikely that any one replacement would have achieved what Deng Yaping achieved.  And it may also be true that other champions have been overlooked and never heard from outside of China because they were too short or otherwise misidentified as not having the right attributes or talent. 

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by sandiway sandiway wrote:

If you have plenty to choose from, it doesn't matter if you overlook the most talented.

Sandiway

It certainly matters to the one being overlooked.  

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Posted By: ttTurkey
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 6:51pm
A question for those that believe that there is no such thing as talent or that everyone has the same amount of talent:

Do you think that you would be the same level as Ma Long and Zhang Jike if you had put in the same amount of training, were as motivated as them, received the same coaching, level of competition, level of practice partners etc?

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 6:52pm

Sandiway

It matters to the coaches as well if they can be shown To be often very wrong, rather than occasionally wrong.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 7:01pm
If talent doesn't matter then why the likes of Hao Shuai and Chen Qi couldn't remotely achieve what ZJK did?  These two had more best-of-the-world training and opportunities than ZJK ever had.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 7:09pm

If talent doesn't matter then why the likes of Hao Shuai and Chen Qi couldn't remotely achieve what ZJK did?  These two had more best-of-the-world training and opportunities than ZJK ever had.

How do you quantify this as being due to talent?

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by ttTurkey ttTurkey wrote:

A question for those that believe that there is no such thing as talent or that everyone has the same amount of talent: 

Do you think that you would be the same level as Ma Long and Zhang Jike if you had put in the same amount of training, were as motivated as them, received the same coaching, level of competition, level of practice partners etc?

I don't subscribe to your premise.  My point is that if there is such a thing as talent we don't know how to identify it as a separate thing and it isn't yet a useful concept.  What we actually do is identify skills and then backwards infer talent from those skills.  I think it is better to be more straightforward and just point out the skills, accomplishments and other attributes that correlate well with success.

But I'll put aside the premise and the impossibility of your proposition and answer your question anyway.  And the answer is simply that I don't know.  Nobody does.  But what I'm pretty sure of is that I'd be one hell of a lot better player than I am now and that many people would look at me as having been (in my fictitious prime) one of the more talented players in the U.S.  - and the coaches wouldn't have allowed me to play hardbat.  ;^)

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 7:16pm
@NL:  You can't, really.  It's the it factor.  There's something though that came up repeatedly in my discussions with various Chinese coaches...some players could push themselves or be pushed physically (not mentally) harder than their peers without getting seriously injured.  The same with the training and selection of Marines.  It has to be in the discussion when we try to id talent.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 7:18pm

But what I'm pretty sure of is that I'd be one hell of a lot better player than I am now and that many people would look at me as having been (in my fictitious prime) one of the more talented players in the U.S.  - and the coaches wouldn't have allowed me to play hardbat.  ;^)

It's also an unknown that your body would be able to take the punishment that ML or ZJK could, even if you were selected to train with them at the age of 5, all together under one roof.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 7:21pm

It matters to the coaches as well if they can be shown To be often very wrong, rather than occasionally wrong.

Sure.  But survivor-ship bias works in their favor.  Errors can't be easily seen and won't be looked for so long as you have a sufficient number of successes.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 7:35pm

It's also an unknown that your body would be able to take the punishment that ML or ZJK could, even if you were selected to train with them at the age of 5, all together under one roof.

Very true.  Not to mention random injury. 

It is also possible the the optimal training for me and my body could be different than for those two and that "subjecting" me to their training regime might actually work against me achieving my maximum potential.  It is complications like these that make it difficult for anyone to put their finger on what talent is.  Personally, I think "talent" is also often a shortcut that people use to wrap up all the things that we don't know about.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 7:48pm

Sure.  But survivor-ship bias works in their favor.  Errors can't be easily seen and won't be looked for so long as you have a sufficient number of successes.

But that is all the system requires.  It doesn't mean that talent doesn't exist or that the coaches cannot recognize it.  If they were getting it wrong,  their opinions would be far more suspect.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: Ringer84
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 8:13pm
If someone has never taken a singing lesson in their entire life nor regularly practiced singing, yet they have a beautiful singing voice, would it be fair to say this person has a "talent" for singing?  I would say many of us know a person like this. I ask this question not to make any kind of point nor to take sides, but because I'm wondering how you would describe such a person if not "talented.

-------------
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 8:37pm

I'm not sure what the modern concept is, but if "talent" exists I suspect that it is really a bundle of genetic potentials.  For instance, a person might have slightly more acute vision, a slightly faster reflexes, a more optimal skeletal structure or muscle fiber profile, etc.  And I think it may be very difficult to distinguish some of these things from early environmental influences starting as early as the womb that influence not only the physical person, but the person's brain and the they process information.
Yes, yes, and more yes!

In this entire thread, not one of those who argue for the separate existence of something called "talent" has rarely attempted, let alone managed, to eliminate the physiological and psychological factors which you identify.  For example, what effect does learning resilience as an infant have upon the course of our lives?  A resilient athlete is more likely to keep on coming back for more than one governed by fear.

Posted By: Matt Pimple
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 8:49pm
Read Matthew Syed's book "Bounce" on the question of talent. Wink
BTW, Syed is also a former table tennis champion of England and one of the best players of Europe at his time.

-------------
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=55835&title=feed-back-for-matt-pimple" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 8:52pm
Bounce is a very one sided book that argues as if people are idiots

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 8:56pm

I do not agree with that and I do largely subscribe to Syed's thesis.

-------------
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=55835&title=feed-back-for-matt-pimple" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 9:02pm
Table tennis is one of the few sports where the lacking of certain physical abilities or attributes can be somewhat remedied by better coaching, training regimes or equipment changes.  Try that in badminton.  If you are 60" tall like Deng Yaping, there's no way in hell you could accomplish a tiny fraction of what she did in table tennis.

*BTW I pretty much dislke "Bounce" too.  Too one-sided to even make an interesting read...

-------------

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

That's the problem - when you largely subscribe to something, unless you have reviewed the broader literature, you don't know the degree to which opposing view points are being oversimplified and misrepresented.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 9:08pm
Syed's lack of speed and strength (he came to the U.S. Open a few times) would not have fared as well if he didn't use long pips to chop.  Yes he was pretty decent, but hardly one of the all time greats that had a particularly interesting insight of what talent is.  Not trying to put him down, but it is what it is...

-------------

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 9:17pm

Yes he was pretty decent, but hardly one of the all time greats that had a particularly interesting insight of what talent is.
See, I do not agree with that. So you have to be an all time great to know what talent is?! There are actually quite a few coaches in various sports who weren't great players but became great coaches and turned some talents into all time greats.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 9:19pm
Sure, please name an all time great that Syed coached.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 9:22pm

Sure, please name an all time great that Syed coached.

I did not say Syed was a coach or coached anybody who turned into an all time great. This was a general response to your thesis that you have to an all time great to know talent.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 9:25pm
Would you rather listen to Einstein and Hawking about what it takes to become a top physicist, or your local university professor? 

-------------

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 9:27pm
In the same vein, the Chinese coaches like LGL, etc. firmly believe the existence and importance of talent in table tennis.  To have Syed say otherwise it would take a lot more of what he's offered in his book.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 9:34pm

But that is all the system requires.  It doesn't mean that talent doesn't exist or that the coaches cannot recognize it.  If they were getting it wrong,  their opinions would be far more suspect.

Right.  Nor does it mean that talent exists or that their notions of what talent is are accurate. It just means that such notions aren't doing enough damage to their goals to matter to them.

Besides, my concern isn't whether somebody's system is working for them or not. It is whether some of the notions put forth and popularized are having some other negative effect.  If it happens to improve someone's system, so much the better.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Posted By: sandiway
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 9:39pm

Sandiway

To the national team, it doesn't matter.

And without that development, that great support and intense competition, even if you were more talented to begin with, you won't make it as far.

Even if you best some of them now and then, you still won't get selected and represent your country. You won't get the opportunity to write your name in history.

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 9:42pm

In the same vein, the Chinese coaches like LGL, etc. firmly believe the existence and importance of talent in table tennis.  To have Syed say otherwise it would take a lot more of what he's offered in his book.

The argument from authority is not a strong argument. 

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 9:47pm

Sandiway

To the national team, it doesn't matter.

Sure.  But how is that relevant?  The issue/question was not initially framed so narrowly. 

I agree that the national team can work effectively from the standpoint of achieving its goals while completely ignoring the concept of talent by simply tracking those measurable and observable attributes that correlate with high success.  And that's my point.  Talent is actually a pretty useless concept from a practical point of view.

-------------
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 10:13pm

You'd need to define what authority is. An expert is usually called to testify in a court of law. Expertise is and should be valued. Your whole argument against the existence of talent and the effective means to identify it hinges entirely on your dismissal of those poeple's opinions who are ostensibly more knowledgeable in this field than yourself.

-------------

Posted By: JacekGM
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 10:27pm
One question I have: are we talking in this thread about talent as regards pro players, or are we looking for the prerequisites of talent among our TT grass root colleagues?
BTW, we have already had it all here... still, I would mention it again that one important inborn physical talent is the ability to spend countless hours of hard training without injury and to play many tough matches a day without noticeable drop in playing level. 

-------------
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 10:31pm

I agree usually.  But some people are more authoritative than others and it depends on the subject. 

For any attribute that humans have, there is a distribution within the population.  Some attributes may be especially useful for table tennis players.  Some table tennis players through genetic luck have a lot of the variable attributes that are good for the sport.  This can clearly account for some aspect of their performance, assuming everything else is optimal.  The question is how much?  Hard to say.  Maybe impossible to say.  But I think it is real  and can matter at really high levels where the differences in level are remarkably small.

The reason I have this opinion is not because I am a great coach or player or anything like that.  But in other things, geneticists have studied behavior a lot, not just in humans, and a number you hear a lot is that genetics in common outbred populations can explain about 40% of the variance in a complex behavioral trait, whether it's fruitflys, humans or mice.

Our sport requires optimal opportunity to be successful.  No matter how physically/mentally/temperamentally/genetically optimal someone is for table tennis, if they grow up in the US there will be an early limit on how good they can get.  There is not enough coaching or high-level competition at an early age here.  Genetics can not overcome lack of coaching and if a person never plays the sport ever in their life because they weren't lucky enough to be exposed to it, they won't be good.

And that's why I give LGL a lot of credence on this.  He lives in China, the one place on the planet where they are most likely to find you if you seem suited, then get you into a coaching system early on, and then give you every opportunity to be as good as you can get.  And he has seen that some people peak out earlier on than others and he can probably see why.  And since his entire life has revolved around TT, he has seen a great deal from a young age.  Interestingly, this could be true in China and not be as true in UK, since in UK the participation rates are low (relative to China) so opportunity may be a much bigger factor there.

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 11:52pm

Table tennis is one of the few sports where the lacking certain physical abilities or attributes can be somewhat remedied by better coaching, training regimes or equipment changes.  Try that in badminton.  If you are 60" tall like Deng Yaping, there's no way in hell you could accomplish a tiny fraction of what she did in table tennis.

*BTW I pretty much dislke "Bounce" too.  Too one-sided to even make an interesting read...

In any complex, highly specialized activity like table tennis, people can be successful for a variety of reasons.  Simplifying the talent required to perform well in such activities is a fool's errand - it's like asking why people are successful at sales - there are different styles of selling that may or may not be conducive to selling a particular kind of product to a kind of person.

But sometimes, there can be base talents that help that people just take for granted.  Or the network of traits required to make someone a good candidate for elite level table tennis is too complicated to measure at a young age.  This is very likely and often the case.

The much easier problem is whether there are things that correlate well with being modestly good.  Those things distinguish the good players from bad players, but they aren't considered talents even though they might be because the talent bar is often raised by opponents of the concept, who make it seem like they are average people (the deniers usually aren't).

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/29/2015 at 11:56pm

Right.  Nor does it mean that talent exists or that their notions of what talent is are accurate. It just means that such notions aren't doing enough damage to their goals to matter to them.

Besides, my concern isn't whether somebody's system is working for them or not. It is whether some of the notions put forth and popularized are having some other negative effect.  If it happens to improve someone's system, so much the better.

There are often a set of traits that can be used to distinguish populations of people from another set.  Your issue is with whether these traits can be measured and used to predict behavior and if not, they should be used carefully.    Testing is a difficult subject but the bottom line is that it is easy to construct tests that predict whether a person can be a reasonably good table tennis player.  The harder question is to predict whether the person will turn out to be a very good table tennis player.  And it is also possible to do certain things that might take a week or a month and use those to predict whether a person has a high aptitude for table tennis or not.  Motivation etc. are not all separate from talent when it comes to producing someone able to function at a high level at something complicated - they are just one factor that plays a role in the measurement.  It's easy to show this for a complicated activity.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/30/2015 at 2:04am

Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

That's the problem - when you largely subscribe to something, unless you have reviewed the broader literature, you don't know the degree to which opposing view points are being oversimplified and misrepresented.
OK, I'd like to educate myself to your levels. Give me a few titles - just the broader literature on the matter will do - that will make me understand why Syed is so one-sided.

Date Posted: 04/30/2015 at 2:53am
Sorry, Baal, but you've lost me in this one.  What are you trying to say?
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

For any attribute that humans have, there is a distribution within the population.  Some attributes may be especially useful for table tennis players.  Some table tennis players through genetic luck have a lot of the variable attributes that are good for the sport.  This can clearly account for some aspect of their performance, assuming everything else is optimal.
Summary: some people have better genetic make up than others. Tick.

The question is how much?  Hard to say.  Maybe impossible to say.  But I think it is real  and can matter at really high levels where the differences in level are remarkably small.

The reason I have this opinion is not because I am a great coach or player or anything like that.  But in other things, geneticists have studied behavior a lot, not just in humans, and a number you hear a lot is that genetics in common outbred populations can explain about 40% of the variance in a complex behavioral trait, whether it's fruitflys, humans or mice.
Summary: differences are perhaps 40% genetic?

Our sport requires optimal opportunity to be successful.  No matter how physically/mentally/temperamentally/genetically optimal someone is for table tennis, if they grow up in the US there will be an early limit on how good they can get.  There is not enough coaching or high-level competition at an early age here.  Genetics can not overcome lack of coaching and if a person never plays the sport ever in their life because they weren't lucky enough to be exposed to it, they won't be good.
Summary: opportunity accounts for a large part of the remaining 60%?

And that's why I give LGL a lot of credence on this.  He lives in China, the one place on the planet where they are most likely to find you if you seem suited, then get you into a coaching system early on, and then give you every opportunity to be as good as you can get.  And he has seen that some people peak out earlier on than others and he can probably see why.  And since his entire life has revolved around TT, he has seen a great deal from a young age.  Interestingly, this could be true in China and not be as true in UK, since in UK the participation rates are low (relative to China) so opportunity may be a much bigger factor there.
Summary: ?????

From what I've read so far: LGL believes in talent.

But what has that to do with your discussion?  Are you suggesting that "talent" is a genetic factor; some people are born lucky, some aren't?  When you speak of genetic factors, I assume you mean muscle profile, skeletal structure, eyesight, body type, etc.  I can see how these factors play their part in the 40% figure.  I know from painful, personal experience that being a tall endomorph with predominantly slow twitch muscle fibre coupled with poor eyesight means that I may find it difficult to break into the ITTF top ten.

I also know that being born in England and raised in Australia, lacking in resilience, prone to massive self-doubt, and having attention deficit disorder are going to be major factors in the 60% area.  

When I put all of these things together, I'm left wondering what significance there is in attributing "talent" to anything.  Anyone watching me play may very well suggest, "What a talentless bastard!"  But talent or lack of it has nothing to do with it.  "Talent" is just a shorthand term for qualities that people haven't bothered to identify.

Date Posted: 04/30/2015 at 3:38am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Actually we don't know whether he does or not at all. It was claimed by roundrobin that he does as a way of discrediting Mathew Syed's book, but that's all. We know what Syed wrote, but we have yet to hear from the horse's mouth what Liu's take on talent is. 

I don't expect an actual paper, article, lecture or interview by Liu on talent to surface, but it would be nice. If not for any other reason than to compare it to the competing views. 

Date Posted: 04/30/2015 at 4:09am

Actually we don't know whether he does or not at all. It was claimed by roundrobin that he does as a way of discrediting Mathew Syed's book, but that's all. We know what Syed wrote, but we have yet to hear from the horse's mouth what Liu's take on talent is. 

I don't expect an actual paper, article, lecture or interview by Liu on talent to surface, but it would be nice. If not for any other reason than to compare it to the competing views. 

Believe in whatever you want.  It's not my job to teach you Mandarin if you can't read or understand what he's said regarding talent.  Anyway, just to refresh your memory (or if you had never heard it), he famously said "Kong Linghui has no talent (the exact word he used in Mandarin) learning serves whatsoever, regardless of how much effort he put in."  Then he elaborated at length all the practice and coaching KLH had done to improve his serves without any success (even after he became World Champion).  LGL, on the other hand, could serve effortlessly without much practice and is widely regarded as the best server in the history of table tennis (yes, even better than Waldner).

-------------

Date Posted: 04/30/2015 at 4:14am

"Talent" is just a shorthand term for qualities that people haven't bothered to identify.

Or for those too obtuse to understand that we aren't talking about low-grade players here...

-------------

Date Posted: 04/30/2015 at 5:19am

Believe in whatever you want.  It's not my job to teach you Mandarin if you can't read or understand what he's said regarding talent.  Anyway, just to refresh your memory (or if you had never heard it), he famously said "Kong Linghui has no talent (the exact word he used in Mandarin) learning serves whatsoever, regardless of how much effort he put in."  Then he elaborated at length all the practice and coaching KLH had done to improve his serves without any success (even after he became World Champion).  LGL, on the other hand, could serve effortlessly without much practice and is widely regarded as the best server in the history of table tennis (yes, even better than Waldner).

I don't want to believe in whatever I want, I want to know Liu's ideas and views on this. Knowing what he said would help understand his concept of talent, which - contrary to your belief - actually isn't clearly communicated through the word itself as is pretty evident from this thread.

Please don't worry about my Mandarin, as it isn't the problem here. The problem here is that I don't have access to the literature or articles in Chinese where Liu explains in dept "the existence and importance of talent in table tennis" according to your claims. You imply they exist and that you have read them. Now help me further myself by listing them below so I too can get access to this wealth of information. Or is that information exclusive in any way? 

Posted By: AndySmith
Date Posted: 04/30/2015 at 5:19am
Talent is just the mystical hand-waving woo that people assign to competitive advantages they see in broad terms but don't (or can't) quantify in detail.  Don't get me wrong - sometimes the detail is buried so deeply, or is so complex, that any proper analysis becomes incredibly difficult and is almost pointless.  So it's understandable that a catch-all term like "talent" arises, and it can be a useful shorthand way of discussing things.

The danger with "talent" is when people give it some sort of mystical weight.  He/she has talent, they were born with it, we can never understand what it is but wow it's magical, etc etc.  That leads to the impression that those fortunate enough to be born with the sparkly woo will always outperform those who lack the woo.  This gives rise to two unhelpful attitudes - woo people don't have to work as hard to succeed, and I might as well give up because I don't have the woo.  (I'm not pointing the finger at anyone here, by the way.  I just see this in real life)

As much as sports are the focus here, I personally see this kind of attitude in education more.  The parts of Syed's Bounce which resonated with me the most were the sections on student attitudes to subjects like maths, where repetitive work and challenging effort are the big factors in success.  But students give up because they feel that they don't have the maths woo, or whatever, and their parents push this opinion too - "well, I was never good at maths either".  The concept of talent is the scapegoat for giving up.

RR's point about level does make sense to me to some degree - the higher up you go, you see the rarefied results of every factor possible - physical, mental, training, genetics, opportunity.  It becomes harder and harder to unpick the "talent" factor because we are in a region where small percentages in any category can have a big influence.  But I believe that if you dig around enough then you'd find something real, something tangible, which separates the "talented" from the rest.

"Talent" is just the word you use when something amazes you and you don't comprehend what's actually happening.  It's like magic.

-------------
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.

Date Posted: 04/30/2015 at 5:26am
I have been involved in forums such as this long enough to know that most people here aren't really interested in learning anything new.  Nothing serious ever came out of online "discussions" and this one won't turn out any different.  Case in point:  Posters such as Tassie are representative of such close-minded individuals that no amount of "information" will change their view on anything...even from LGL about table tennis.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/30/2015 at 5:34am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

"Talent" is just the word you use when something amazes you and you don't comprehend what's actually happening.  It's like magic.

In the context of the general population's view, yes, but not when we talk about the "it" factor among table tennis champions. 

-------------

Date Posted: 04/30/2015 at 5:56am

I have been involved in forums such as this long enough to know that most people here aren't really interested in learning anything new.
Well, I am and I asked you for some specific information that you claim to have that can help me. 
Will you provide me with it?

Date Posted: 04/30/2015 at 6:01am

I have been involved in forums such as this long enough to know that most people here aren't really interested in learning anything new.  Nothing serious ever came out of online "discussions" and this one won't turn out any different.  Case in point:  Posters such as Tassie are representative of such close-minded individuals that no amount of "information" will change their view on anything...even from LGL about table tennis.

LGL's opinion certainly carries weight.  How can it not?  But it will be biased, as any opinion will generally be, and will be based on his own experience and the situation he currently finds himself.

Consider China's situation.  LGL has a vast number of motivated, proficient juniors to cast his eye over.  It's the national sport and the system is in place to produce them.  He could probably pick any 10% of this pool at random while blindfolded and still produce world champions once he's put them through the rest of the meat grinder that is Chinese TT.  We might then point at this success and presume that LGL has amazing, mystical talent spotting abilities.  He keeps producing winners, after all.  So, LGL's belief in "talent", and belief in his ability to sense it, is part of the whole mechanism which keeps him in place and keeps the excellence moving.  He produces results, and that's all that really matters to China.  But does it prove the existence of talent?  It's weak, IMO.  He's seeing something and making some judgments, but I would say he is just seeing the culmination of all the time, effort, energy. practice and opportunity which went into each junior and then trying to make the best choice he can.  He's folding all of that real stuff up into a neat little package called "talent", and going from there.  I'm not sure we would even know if LGL was a terrible talent spotter.  He could pick the worst ones and still win everything.

Now, compare that with Bounce.  Syed's authority also carries some weight (not as much as LGL perhaps, but LGL's position is supported by the best TT system in the world let's not forget), but he also attempts to marry his personal stance on talent (which gives the book bias, of course) with real academic and scientific studies, with hard data and controls in place.  That, to me, is a better and more thorough attempt to produce a worthwhile and objective stance on the concept of talent when compared to LGL's personal opinion. 

As for people not wanting to learn anything new - you have to present evidence, and it has to be compelling and trustworthy.  LGL believing in talent is interesting, but doesn't carry enough weight to change my mind.  I need studies, data, numbers, or you need to discredit existing studies in a meaningful way.  I love learning new things!  I just need more than opinions.

You and NL don't seem to like Bounce due to bias, even though it sets out with a goal in mind and isn't shy about stating that at the outset.  Fair enough - Bounce is a book, and not a study in itself.  But can you discredit the studies it references, or cite meaningful contradicting studies?

-------------

Date Posted: 04/30/2015 at 6:04am

Posters such as Tassie are representative of such close-minded individuals that no amount of "information" will change their view on anything...even from LGL about table tennis.
Ouch!  Gee whiz, RR, it's been ages and ages since you've taken a swipe at me!  I thought you were mellowing in your old age.  Weeks and weeks without acrimony - I was just getting used to it too!

RR still loves me!

Date Posted: 04/30/2015 at 6:06am

In the context of the general population's view, yes, but not when we talk about the "it" factor among table tennis champions. 

LOL - but what is "it"?  

At the top end, "it" is just a more complex case of "it" at the bottom end.  It's easier just to give up any attempt at analysis and call it "talent".  And sometimes it's the only option, because the analysis is just too hard!  

The problem is when "talent" is considered the end game, like it's a definitive explanation.  For me, it's just the label on stuff we don't understand yet, and should be the spur to discover more about what's actually going on.  It's a useful label for the question, but unproductive when it becomes the answer in itself.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/30/2015 at 6:21am
This topic has already been beaten to dead several times.  There's no use to keep it going.  That said, the number one fallacy from the disbelievers of "talent" is they selectively choose the physical/mental attributes that undergird their argument against the necessity of talent while conveniently ignoring others.  They would agree with me that you can't train just anybody to be as tall as Yao Ming, as fast as Usain Bolt, or jump as high as Michael Jordan, yet they firmly believe they could train someone to be as agile, as technically perfect, and as physically and mentally strong as Ma Long or ZJK as long as they get the same amount of training opportunities from the get go.  Where's the logic of that?  Wink  The fact of the matter is many players in China did get the same training as these two, but they either couldn't absorb it all, or perform as expected.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/30/2015 at 6:23am

You and NL don't seem to like Bounce due to bias, even though it sets out with a goal in mind and isn't shy about stating that at the outset.  Fair enough - Bounce is a book, and not a study in itself.  But can you discredit the studies it references, or cite meaningful contradicting studies?

There are lots of meaningful contradictory studies from IQ testing to animal breeding to human behavioral genetics to identical twin studies.  I'm not so much amused by whether Bounce disagrees with them but the fact that Bounce didn't even seriously discuss or address them.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/30/2015 at 6:24am
Anyone looking for a specific book would best start with Steven Pinker's "The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature".

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 04/30/2015 at 6:26am
To some extent, yes, indeed the "it" factor can be said as some magical attributes that some individuals possess that others don't.  Case in point:  My favorite example Akiane.  What is the "it" factor that she has that others don't?

http://www.akiane.com/media" rel="nofollow - https://www.akiane.com/media
http://www.akiane.com/about" rel="nofollow -
http://www.akiane.com/about

-------------

Date Posted: 04/30/2015 at 6:27am

This topic has already been beaten to dead several times.  There's no use to keep it going.  That said, the number one fallacy from the disbelievers of "talent" is they selectively choose the physical/mental attributes that undergird their argument against the necessity of talent while conveniently ignoring others.  They would agree with me that you can't train just anybody to be as tall as Yao Ming, as fast as Usain Bolt, or jump as high as Michael Jordan, yet they firmly believe they could train someone to be as agile, as technically perfect, and as physically and mentally strong as Ma Long or ZJK as long as they get the same amount of training opportunities from the get go.  Where's the logic of that?  Wink  The fact of the matter is many players in China did get the same training as these two, but they either couldn't absorb it all, or perform as expected.

This isn't talent, these are physical advantages.  Yao Ming is tall - are you calling being tall a talent?  Why?  Why not call it "being tall".  See - you've already defeated the talent myth yourself by specifying the physical, quantifiable properties which add to Yao Ming's success.  Well done! Another myth busted.

-------------

Date Posted: 04/30/2015 at 6:31am

To same extent, yes, indeed the "it" factor is can be said as some magical attributes that some individuals possess that others don't.  Case in point:  My favorite example Akiane.  What is the "it" factor that she has that others don't?

http://www.akiane.com/media" rel="nofollow - https://www.akiane.com/media

Hmmm.  I'm not sure what to say about this.  I am genuinely struck dumb.  Perhaps I'll have to wait for Akiane to "share many details about the self-aware universes she was seeing".

-------------

Date Posted: 04/30/2015 at 6:32am

This isn't talent, these are physical advantages.  Yao Ming is tall - are you calling being tall a talent?  Why?  Why not call it "being tall".  See - you've already defeated the talent myth yourself by specifying the physical, quantifiable properties which add to Yao Ming's success.  Well done! Another myth busted.

This is why it's a complete waste of time "arguing" with someone who's already made up his mind.  Yes, physical and well as mental attributes are essential ingredients of what make up "talent" in table tennis".  LOL

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net