Print Page | Close Window

Thethinker's review of Nexy Olam ST 84g

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=73760
Printed Date: 03/29/2024 at 8:39am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Thethinker's review of Nexy Olam ST 84g
Posted By: thethinker
Subject: Thethinker's review of Nexy Olam ST 84g
Date Posted: 12/02/2015 at 6:23am
Thethinker's review of Nexy's Olam ST 84g

I have received a 91g Olam ST from Nexy for testing. It was damaged in weighting of the blade and Nexy sent a second 84g for me to test. I gave the 91g to a schoolmate and his review will appear here shortly as our club was close for thanksgiving holidays. So, first thing, I highly appreciate Nexy's customer service. If you are a paying customer you will no doubt want such services.

Let me say folks Olam is an exciting blade from Nexy.

Nexy's Olam ST is a beautiful creation as they know some of us players treat our blades like babies and Nexy take the time to make each perfect. The can be seen in the attention to details like the sanding of the neck for comfort, perfect rectangular shape ST handle that feel ultra comfortable, and jewelery that makes your blade stands out.

Olam is built for the all round topspin attacker who want to use new techniques for the 40+ ball. This blade is particular good for those who is making brush stroke in the past and is looking to increase ball speed and power by changing their technique to a deeper contact. It's built so that a deep solid contact with the blade can be done even at low arm speed as well as higher speed. It's a rather linear blade. There is plenty of power for those craves a blade that can produce a point ending shot. The blade can enable the ball rebound quickly after making these deep contacts with the harder wood. In principle it's like the hard sponge of a rubber, just in this case the energy is not coming from the sponge but the wood. The features of Olam is similar to Nexy Arirang but without the carbon feel when contact deep. An 84g Olam is slightly slower. I rate it OFF-, about the same as Korbel or slightly faster. Korbel is a good reference as Olam is more like a 5ply in its concept. So Olam is not fastest. Olam is hard feel comparing to the traditional 5ply; so counter hitting is fast. Olam's throw is medium. It blocks very well. The control of service and the short game is excellent. Topspin is the main feature of the blade and it does it well.

Some comparison:
blocks: Olam > Korbel
control of topspin: Olam > Korbel
ability to spin: Korbel > Olam
counter hit: Olam > Korbel
power: Olam >= Korbel
speed: Olam >= Korbel
service: Olam >= Korbel
return: Olam = Korbel
chops: Korbel > Olam
(high) throw: Korbel > Olam
(hard) feel: Olam > Korbel
(more) catapult: Olam > Korbel
price: Olam > Korbel

I like to point out that Olam does have some things that is not perfect. One is the back hand side is too plain. There is no graphic on the surface. Nexy's name is not on it. Nothing on the handle of the backhand side. I suggest putting the lens there. I do like the inclusion of the Nexy logo on the butt.
Also, I like to see an improved power version of the blade where the rebound speed of the inner ply is much higher (the 91g rebound speed is perfect). I also think that Olam need not be averaged light. The 91g Olam is faster but behaves as stable as the 84g. Overall Olam is one of Nexy's best product for the all wood user and for the new 40+ ball.

Replies:
Posted By: Nexy
Date Posted: 05/31/2016 at 7:05am
I am now preparing an official introduction for Olam.
I hope that statement can enrich your understanding of this blade.
Thank you for the nice review.
This also helps me to understand Olam.
I will take more care about the design of the back side next time.

-------------
Brand Manager of NEXY

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net