Print Page | Close Window

Technique is not everything if you want to improve

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Coaching & Tips
Forum Name: Coaching & Tips
Forum Description: Learn more about TT from the experts. Feel free to share your knowledge & experience.
Moderator: yogi_bear
Assistant Moderators: APW46, smackman
URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74234
Printed Date: 04/28/2024 at 9:54pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Technique is not everything if you want to improve
Posted By: APW46
Subject: Technique is not everything if you want to improve
Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 3:58pm
There are lots of threads discussing the finer points of technique and rightly so on a TT forum.

Have a thought though about the relevance of technique and its changing fashion for perfection, and also why there are many players who attain Very high levels of play that show relatively poor technique even right into the top 20 players in the world.
 Ironically, most threads about technique perfection contain a clip of a top Chinese player showing 'how it should be' yet copying that, is probably the hardest route to take for a amateur player because it has been derived from a player who is at the top of the Chinese pyramid of enormous depth, players who have done little else but have it perfected by top coaches amidst huge competition from other players for a spot at the top In China. 
Only using him as an example, but would Kreanga with his technique have ever got anywhere near the CNT? 
 If you have limited practice time, limitations in the standard of practice partners, but would like to improve your rating, you are far better using your valuable time covering other aspects of TT than technique. 
 Service/touch/early point strategies and learning How to win are far more beneficial to your game within your level, and seriously, you get far more advantage asking the best player in your club how he got there, than spending hour after hour thinking that if you get a f/hand that resembles WLQ's its actually going to make a significant difference in your results. 
 The best source of information I have come across yet, is the 'Breaking 2000' and the 'next level' series of books, I have two pupils reading them now and they are just beginning to understand TT in a way that is relevant for them, both are showing great results.  

-------------
The Older I get, The better I was.

Replies:
Posted By: The soul of rock
Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 4:29pm
It really depends on how people take on table tennis. As for myself, most of the time I don't play to win, I just want to enjoy myself. I would rather score beautiful points and lose games than to win boringly (just my oppinion). In the end, it's just a sport, a game. That's why I prefer to learn how to do the loop effectively and "correctly" than think too much about strategy. I guess I'm still young enough to have the luxury of doing so. 

-------------
Viscaria FL
FH: Nittaku Hurricane 3 NEO
BH: Tenergy 05
-------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69322&PID=841245" rel="nofollow - My feedback

Posted By: Hautamaeki
Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 4:30pm
I have to agree, I have lost tons of games against players that seem to do always the same thing, but they are very good doing what they do best, and I have seen them winning games against very good ranked players, today I saw a 2º division game of one of the players I have lost and he always do the same thing...very heavylong under spin to the backhand, the other player cant make top spin, so pushes long, and he top spins to kill the point, he wins some points not int his fashion but I guess 60% are like this...this is an axample he has very bad technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5E4FsJG_oA

This one is 3 years old, he is the one in all black shirt

He uses a stiga blade and 2 donic sonex jp gold,  cant understand how he makes so much spin with thos rubbers.

Posted By: JohnnyChop
Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 4:31pm
Agreed! professional techniques needs professional conditioning...

Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by The soul of rock The soul of rock wrote:

It really depends on how people take on table tennis. As for myself, most of the time I don't play to win, I just want to enjoy myself. I would rather score beautiful points and lose games than to win boringly (just my oppinion). In the end, it's just a sport, a game. That's why I prefer to learn how to do the loop effectively and "correctly" than think too much about strategy. I guess I'm still young enough to have the luxury of doing so. 

I completely with you.

-------------

Posted By: smackman
Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 4:44pm

Im the opposite, I would rather win anyway possible, than not winning with beautiful Technic
I have a mate like that who practiced alone for a n hour a day with services joined coaching squads had one on one coaching ,looked great but just let others walk allover him in games

-------------
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website

Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 4:55pm
Good strategies can take you to a certain level, but then it's hard to go further without "proper" technique IMO. I think that strategies can be developed later on, but it's really hard to break a bad habbit after you get use to that. Trainning in the same hall with the Scottish national squad, it's hard for me not to focus on the technique side. It's really amazing to realize how much power and spin the pros can generate, even with crappy equipment.

-------------
Viscaria FL
-------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69322&PID=841245" rel="nofollow - My feedback

Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 5:07pm
OK lets get into the nitty gritty, Most players at a very basic level can play a push stroke. 
There are so many things you can do with a push stroke. Varying depth, direction, spin for example, but so so many players use a push as a spin based spoil tactic, hoping the opponent is let down by his lack of consistency based purely upon the amount of 'dig' or backspin he is facing. This works and completely backs up my argument, yet it is so limited by a player who is consistent at coping with it, His technique quality rises above, he is more polished  higher in standard.
So to beat him you have to do something else other than keep hacking backspin on the ball, he can cope with that.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 5:11pm

Good strategies can take you to a certain level, but then it's hard to go further without "proper" technique IMO. I think that strategies can be developed later on, but it's really hard to break a bad habbit after you get use to that. Trainning in the same hall with the Scottish national squad, it's hard for me not to focus on the technique side. It's really amazing to realize how much power and spin the pros can generate, even with crappy equipment.

Yes, But the Scottish national squad are never going to be world beaters are they? 

-------------

Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 5:18pm
They may never be, but they show me if I pay more attention to the technique, I can get a much better FH loops. I've played against pros/former pros a few times and sometimes even if I stand in the correct place at the correct moment, I still couldn't block their loops because of the vast amount of spin. Regaring the techniques vs. strategies, I think one of the reasons that juniors develope faster than adults is that they spent more time working on the basic technique. As soon as they know how to play against you, there's no way back.

-------------
Viscaria FL
-------

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 5:26pm
I agree with APW46 in that what really keeps many adult players from improving is hardly their technique (with caveats below) and far more often their ability to read the ball and the larger play. Technique makes it easier to hit a powerful ball but it will never be a substitute for variation and game reading skills. Kids have eternity to grow into these skills, but adult training should as early as possible be dominated by such training IMO.

That said, I also believe that technique does need to fall within certain standards to support good play. The boundaries once certain essentials are met is pretty wide and I think some people draw the lines too narrowly. But in the end, I guess it depends on how you want to play.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 5:38pm

I think one of the reasons that juniors develope faster than adults is that they spent more time working on the basic technique. As soon as they know how to play against you, there's no way back.

Not forgetting of course, that Juniors become seniors, and seniors were once juniors!

I am 52 yrs old and still ranked around 100 in English seniors, That is 35 years of 'no way back' against a new onslaught of juniors every one of those 35 years! Do I have perfect technique? far from it.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 5:49pm
But how many of them that you overcome by getting better than them again and how many of them just quit TT completely? Not to disrespect you as I know what's it like to be in English top 100, that's very impressive actually. 

I was born and learn TT in the specific area of Asia that's really good with TT and over there we learn the basic techniques first. Adult players with "non standard" techniques can be really good, but their limits in technique make it's impossible for them to improve at some certaint point. The thing is TT technique has been perfected day by day. Few years ago, it's very rare to see the chiquita, now everyone does it after Zhang Jike for example. Strategies to play with it or against it then come after.  

-------------
Viscaria FL
-------

Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 6:07pm

But how many of them that you overcome by getting better than them again and how many of them just quit TT completely?  
 Well lets look at the numbers, 300 leagues in England, If every league produces at least 1 really good junior a year for the last 35 years, that means that there has been Around 10000 junior local number 1's since I became a senior. I didn't 'get better than them again' 95% never made my level in the first place. 
Here is the crux, I didn't achieve my top level until my 30's, I had reasonable technique as a junior, but improved massively in later life without improving my technique. Worked on other things.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 6:17pm
Because they're juniors, they may have focus on the other things as well as going to college. And I don't think that England can produce that many good juniors, honestly. I played against Kenny Lindsay, currently UK no.20, once, and I think he's not even as good as the U18 champion in my home town.

Back to the original topic, do you think that you would be much better if you focused more on techniques when you just started?

-------------
Viscaria FL
-------

Posted By: yogi_bear
Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 6:39pm
That is why most players outside china will never reach the level of club players in china and I am talking about non pro players here. Learning the basics and doing it over and over again is very boring but that is the very reason why they play good and are a class above everyone else. I have a bunch of friends who are members of the national team who have spent months in china and it has always been the emphasis on the right basics that are taught to them. yEs a lot of us have bad habits, have bad techniques and to get around those bad techniques we improve on our gameplay but it is never and I mean never be a justification not to improve on the basics. Some good players may have upsets with a player with a bad technique but then the really good ones with good techniques are the ones who always win, don't they?

-------------
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Posted By: Ringer84
Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 6:41pm
In my opinion, improved technique leads to the potential for more creative play.  Many adult players are capped both in their ability to produce topspin and their ability to play the ball to all points on the table due to technical deficiences.  For example, I have never been able to play a strong backhand down-the-line without having my right foot well in front of my left.  I just didn't understand how it was possible to play backhands down the line out of a forehand dominant stance.  It wasn't until I learned to get my elbow out farther from my body laterally that I learned how to do this. 

Now that I am able to play backhand loops and blocks down the line through improved technique, a much wider array of tactics and patterns are available to me.

-------------
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda

Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 6:43pm
Cannot put it better, yogi_bear Thumbs Up

-------------
Viscaria FL
-------

Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 6:50pm
I think we also need to distinguish between gameplay and technique also because some people are mixing the 2 things. Techniques are the strokes, timings, footwork and contact on the ball while gameplay involves gameplay tactics like sequencing and chaining of movements, strokes basically responses to an opponent's ball.

-------------
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 7:21pm
Kreanga, who was cited by APW46, does have world class technique. I think we need to be clearer on what both APW46 and his opponents are really saying.

I think that once technique falls within certain parameters (the forehand of Crisan or Keinath or the backhand of Appolonia or Aruna would be another extreme), other things often come into play that determine how good a player gets. It's weird that people are confusing the results of a system with the process by which it gets those results. The Chinese are able to throw resources at Table Tennis that no one can. Anyone who thinks their advantage is largely technical is missing a lot of details.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: zeio
Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Anyone who thinks their advantage is largely technical is missing a lot of details.
That is the core issue.  Everyone wants WLQ's forehand, but did you know it has a name?  And that there is a full-blown research paper on the bio-mechanics behind its invention?  Many can't even make out the details of the technical aspect of it.  And they expect to mimic that by studying some footage?

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g

Posted By: vanjr
Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 8:14pm

Kreanga, who was cited by APW46, does have world class technique. I think we need to be clearer on what both APW46 and his opponents are really saying.

I think that once technique falls within certain parameters (the forehand of Crisan or Keinath or the backhand of Appolonia or Aruna would be another extreme), other things often come into play that determine how good a player gets. It's weird that people are confusing the results of a system with the process by which it gets those results. The Chinese are able to throw resources at Table Tennis that no one can. Anyone who thinks their advantage is largely technical is missing a lot of details.

Working on technique is all about removing technical disadvantages.

Posted By: pgpg
Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by APW46 APW46 wrote:

If you have limited practice time, limitations in the standard of practice partners, but would like to improve your rating, you are far better using your valuable time covering other aspects of TT than technique. 
 Service/touch/early point strategies and learning How to win are far more beneficial to your game within your level, and seriously, you get far more advantage asking the best player in your club how he got there, than spending hour after hour thinking that if you get a f/hand that resembles WLQ's its actually going to make a significant difference in your results. 

Yup. Bulk of posters here would be happy to break USATT 2000 (or slightly above that - let's face it, even 2300 does not get you far these days). And you can only get that far by focusing on polishing your FH form - in the end you don't get style points in TT. Game tactics, shot selection, serve/receive - all go long way to improving your win/loss record, even with imperfect strokes. 

-------------
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX

Posted By: benfb
Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 9:22pm

They may never be, but they show me if I pay more attention to the technique, I can get a much better FH loops. I've played against pros/former pros a few times and sometimes even if I stand in the correct place at the correct moment, I still couldn't block their loops because of the vast amount of spin. Regaring the techniques vs. strategies, I think one of the reasons that juniors develope faster than adults is that they spent more time working on the basic technique. As soon as they know how to play against you, there's no way back.
I was looking at various posts thinking "I agree with this one" and then "I agree with that one" and then I realized I was pretty much agreeing with everything that Soul of Rock posted.

1) I'd rather play well, using good technique, and enjoy making wonderful shots than just focus on what it takes to win.

2) For any given level of technical skill, you can improve your game success by working on the game play such as tactics and strategy.  Ultimately, however, you're going to hit a ceiling until you improve your technical skills.  The only way to prevent those ceilings is to make technique a central part of your game from the beginning and at every stage.

3) You don't specifically have  to play like Wang Liqin to say you're working to improve your technique.  When you see what the 2600+ level players can do, you realize that incorporating better technique can just add to your power, your consistency, and your range of options.

Posted By: pgpg
Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 9:32pm
To each their own. I can't see myself playing, so having perfect form does not matter much to me.

Also, when I see 2600+ players, I know damn well that I'll never get to that level. Fact of life, but it does not stop me from enjoying TT.  

-------------
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX

Posted By: V-Griper
Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Anyone who thinks their advantage is largely technical is missing a lot of details.
That is the core issue.  Everyone wants WLQ's forehand, but did you know it has a name?  And that there is a full-blown research paper on the bio-mechanics behind its invention?  Many can't even make out the details of the technical aspect of it.  And they expect to mimic that by studying some footage?

This I would be interested in. Is it publicly available?

-------------
DHS 301
Xiom Vega 7pro FH/BH

Posted By: heplayslikearobot
Date Posted: 01/16/2016 at 11:42pm
I think technique is important. Great technique is important in reaching a high level, as any significant flaw in your technique can be exposed. With that being said, I think technique is just one of the many things that make up the game. Just because you copy Ma Long's forehand loop, doesn't mean you will have a CNT-standard forehand. There are so many factors within this sport. I have to agree that strategy is extremely important. If you just senselessly loop every ball without much thought, you will very soon be beaten by someone who has a decent block. The average rally only lasts about 3 shots. A good serve followed up with a good tactic can not only get you points based on their mistakes, but you can get very easy third balls to attack. Having a good receiving game will allow you to take advantage of the spin they put on the balls and also being able to limit their attacks. A good strategy exposes the weakness of your opponent and makes you play to your strength. With a great strategy and decent technique, it is not impossible to beat people who would be considered better than you in terms of technique. A good example in my opinion is Werner Schlager. Most of his strokes were fairly average compared to other international players, but he had fantastic serves which gave him a lot of points and also easy 3rd balls. He always used great strategies and thought about every shot. This led him to success in the 2003 WTTC, even though his technique may not been as great as the people he played like Kong Linghui and Wang Liqin. They were arguably among the best in the CNT at the time. In general, I think to play at a high level, you need to understand that there is not just one key. Not just technique, not just strategy... You need to be at a good level in all of these things to truly be a good player.

-------------
Sent from my iPhone

Date Posted: 01/17/2016 at 2:07am
Originally posted by V-Griper V-Griper wrote:

Sadly, it is not, and it is in Chinese.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g

Posted By: bbkon
Date Posted: 01/17/2016 at 3:35am

That is the core issue.  Everyone wants WLQ's forehand, but did you know it has a name?  And that there is a full-blown research paper on the bio-mechanics behind its invention?  Many can't even make out the details of the technical aspect of it.  <span style="line-height: 11.2px;">And they expect to mimic that by studying some footage?</span>

I dont get it. Do you mean wlq forehand is like a new invention difrent from klh?can you explain how is diffrent?

Date Posted: 01/17/2016 at 3:40am

Because they're juniors, they may have focus on the other things as well as going to college. And I don't think that England can produce that many good juniors, honestly. I played against Kenny Lindsay, currently UK no.20, once, and I think he's not even as good as the U18 champion in my home town.

Back to the original topic, do you think that you would be much better if you focused more on techniques when you just started?
Yes technique first.
I've played against Kenny and also with him as a team mate, and he is a very good player, he is Scottish though, so you can't use him as an example of English juniors. There is no such thing as a 'UK no 20'.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/17/2016 at 4:09am

Any player who is world class has world class technique by the very definition. 

What I am saying is that lots of players spend too much time trying to emulate the fine parts of world class technique, when they have no chance of achieving their objective. I know that technique is easy to understand visually and that is why many lower level players think its the answer to their prayers, but all they really need to do is get decent shape to their strokes and good footwork, then learn matchplay and develop their own style and quirks (what ever happened to that)

The ONLY way to develop good technique is by spending more time drilling than most have time for (Juniors aside) and the quirks of technique should be left to develop as long as they are within the required parameters of consistency, power, recovery and movement. Schlager is a great example of individuality being an advantage over the norm.

-------------

Date Posted: 01/17/2016 at 6:32am
So I think we are saying the same thing. And I agree.

That said, many adults do have flawed technique. So some of them do have to bring it within the general parameters of acceptability. This is a far more common problem than you think it is in US table tennis at least.

But while there are many avenues to improvement, I think that two things create problems like this overestimation of the value of technique. The first is receiving training from players who mostly improved as children or don't have significant experience getting adults to a decent level. The second is the invisible nature of game reading skills even vs. the invisible nature of technical skills.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/17/2016 at 6:35am

Yes technique first.
I've played against Kenny and also with him as a team mate, and he is a very good player, he is Scottish though, so you can't use him as an example of English juniors. There is no such thing as a 'UK no 20'.
He is ranked 20th here, or there is a really good player with same name
http://www.etta.co.uk/etta_website/RankPages/RankingPages/SeniorMen.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.etta.co.uk/etta_website/RankPages/RankingPages/SeniorMen.htm

-------------
Viscaria FL
-------

Date Posted: 01/17/2016 at 7:44am

Yes technique first.
He is ranked 20th here, or there is a really good player with same name
http://www.etta.co.uk/etta_website/RankPages/RankingPages/SeniorMen.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.etta.co.uk/etta_website/RankPages/RankingPages/SeniorMen.htm

That is him, but it is the English ranking list, not the UK ranking list, there is no such thing. He is Scottish but appears on the English list because he is resident here. 
This is Kenny Lindsey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXF57Kv3VpY

http://web.onetel.com/~peterlugton/ttscotland.com/html/rankings.htm

-------------

Posted By: CraneStyle
Date Posted: 01/17/2016 at 8:52am
APW46 - There may be an element of truth in what you are saying. However, I can't help but think that you are underestimating your own technique. Maybe you haven't had to learn a new stroke in years, maintaining your strokes and you've kept your impressive rating...

I doubt there will be any successful younger or junior players that support your opinion though...

I suspect most of us (well me) want to be able to attack and defend successfully from FH, BH & Mid. Over and off the table and at mid distance...

What is the minimum set of strokes that should be in my/ our arsenal to archive this..?

Or should we just pick up a bat and play..?

-------------
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05

Date Posted: 01/17/2016 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by CraneStyle CraneStyle wrote:

APW46 - There may be an element of truth in what you are saying. However, I can't help but think that you are underestimating your own technique. Maybe you haven't had to learn a new stroke in years, maintaining your strokes and you've kept your impressive rating...

I doubt there will be any successful younger or junior players that support your opinion though...

I suspect most of us (well me) want to be able to attack and defend successfully from FH, BH & Mid. Over and off the table and at mid distance...

What is the minimum set of strokes that should be in my/ our arsenal to archive this..?

Or should we just pick up a bat and play..?
 I'm saying that players can to a large extent find their own technique once they have the basic strokes and footwork, and there becomes a point where technique advancement is limited and players can improve
by utilising their available practice time on other aspects of the game.
My technique is mine and was developed when I was a junior in the late 1970's with limited coaching and lots of copying the styles of the top European players of the day. Its quite outdated now but I still know how to win against younger fitter players who easily out gun me in open play. 
As long as your technique is solid you can improve massively by thinking about what you can do with the tools you have got, rather than spending limited time on technique perfection which is completely time consuming if reasonable results are achieved.

-------------

Posted By: jrscatman
Date Posted: 01/17/2016 at 1:21pm
I guess if your goal is to win and improve ratings in the short term - then working on strategy and specific shots such as serve and returns will be the best way.

However, I think it is good to work on proper fundamentals with a proper coach to improve technique just for health reasons. I see number of older players with bad technique with various bandages and pills to play through the pain. Many of these players can benefit and even improve their game by learning the proper fundamentals. 

So it depends largely on your goals. Additionally, it is always good to try and learn new things - it's very good for the brain and body. 

-------------
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX

Date Posted: 01/17/2016 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

That is the core issue.  Everyone wants WLQ's forehand, but did you know it has a name?  And that there is a full-blown research paper on the bio-mechanics behind its invention?  Many can't even make out the details of the technical aspect of it.  <span style="line-height: 11.2px;">And they expect to mimic that by studying some footage?</span>

I dont get it. Do you mean wlq forehand is like a new invention difrent from klh?can you explain how is diffrent?
Yes, it is different from a biomechanical standpoint.  To explain how would best be left to another thread.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g

Date Posted: 01/17/2016 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

I guess if your goal is to win and improve ratings in the short term - then working on strategy and specific shots such as serve and returns will be the best way.

However, I think it is good to work on proper fundamentals with a proper coach to improve technique just for health reasons. I see number of older players with bad technique with various bandages and pills to play through the pain. Many of these players can benefit and even improve their game by learning the proper fundamentals. 

So it depends largely on your goals. Additionally, it is always good to try and learn new things - it's very good for the brain and body. 

Good technique can risk repeated stress/strain injuries as well and isn't as pure a palliative for injury as some claim. If you want to stay healthy, just push and block.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 01/17/2016 at 9:09pm
Another related thought is that sometimes technique that looks a bit awkward and unorthodox can be actually quite sound.

Date Posted: 01/17/2016 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by jrscatman jrscatman wrote:

Table tennis is a hard and demanding sport, and even with good technique, with age comes injury and pain.  Trust me on this!

Posted By: Fulanodetal
Date Posted: 01/18/2016 at 2:26pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ppw7NT9g1w

Not sure if this is the footage being discussed.

Interestingly enough, there's a dvd of a number of pro's warming up for tournaments, doing all the basic strokes (FH Loops, BH loops, serves, etc) Not one FH loop looked exactly the same. Including among the CNT players. They looked similar but not exactly the same.

Working on technique is great for developing good technique. Developing game strategies comes from putting together all the techniques learned. Developing service strategies involves putting together a string of strokes together along with using the correct footwork. And then there's open exchange tactics. But what little is talked about is developing the "feel" for the ball. Which is something I have been trying to work on. Does it come only through practice and experience? Does it come from reading the spin on the ball alone? All of the above?(my intuition says yes) Once the techniques get ingrained in your muscles, you can free your mind and just focus on the tactical aspects of the game (like placement) I'm also struggling with this aspect, of focusing less on the form and thinking more on placement during an exchange. My only regret is the little time I have for practice. :(

I'll have to pick up "Breaking 2000". Ive been curious about it for a long time. I did like his other book.

Posted By: qpskfec
Date Posted: 01/18/2016 at 4:28pm
One of the most interesting things my coach ever said was when talking about playing Gao Jun.

She said that one of the reasons Gao Jun was a top player is that she was a master of figuring out how to make the opponent uncomfortable.

Posted By: JacekGM
Date Posted: 01/18/2016 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

One of the most interesting things my coach ever said was when talking about playing Gao Jun.

She said that one of the reasons Gao Jun was a top player is that she was a master of figuring out how to make the opponent uncomfortable.

... and that is one great statement. +100!

I, too, happen to think that, especially at a certain age, there are things in TT more important to carefully consider than just technique if you want to progress in ranking/playing level. 
This is so rarely mentioned here, thank you, APW46, for bringing this up.

-------------
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.

Date Posted: 01/19/2016 at 4:28am
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ppw7NT9g1w

Not sure if this is the footage being discussed.

Yes this exactly what I am talking about, Anyone can copy the style whilst drilling, and It may be the most perfect form seen to date, but some spend needless hours trying to emulate this in matches only to be so inconsistent that it is a handicap. Its only the hammer that knocks the nail in, if you have a blindfold to the rest of your game you can't see the nail.

-------------

Posted By: mjamja
Date Posted: 01/19/2016 at 2:07pm

[/QUOTE]

Yes this exactly what I am talking about, Anyone can copy the style whilst drilling, and It may be the most perfect form seen to date, but some spend needless hours trying to emulate this in matches only to be so inconsistent that it is a handicap. Its only the hammer that knocks the nail in, if you have a blindfold to the rest of your game you can't see the nail.
[/QUOTE]

Well I guess if I am going to be a blindfolded hammer then I might as well try to be a gold plated one.

Mark -  Who often asks himself "Can I really shadow stroke in the dark?"

Posted By: berndt_mann
Date Posted: 01/19/2016 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

... and that is one great statement. +100!

I, too, happen to think that, especially at a certain age, there are things in TT more important to carefully consider than just technique if you want to progress in ranking/playing level. 
This is so rarely mentioned here, thank you, APW46, for bringing this up.

Excellent points, gentlemen.  A veteran Ohio player at the 1650-1850 level, depending on which looper or junior he beat with his barbarous grip and Phantom 008 long pips both sides told me, and I quote pretty much verbatim "there are many more ways than one to play table tennis."

When I played this gentleman inverted to pips, he made me feel quite uncomfortable.   He did, however, sensibly default all of his matches, including one to me, in a hardbat event at the Columbus club.Stern Smile

-------------
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber

Date Posted: 01/19/2016 at 8:42pm
Now I see APW46's main point being hijacked by people with no serious interest in improving their technique or getting it within acceptable confines which is unfortunate.

APW46's point in its ideal form is similar to what my coach, whose student wrote Breaking 2000, likes to say - the best loop in the world is the one which wins you the point. Too many people are trying to loop like someone else in detail. The alternative is to understand the broad essentials of a good loop and apply them to your practice and let the stroke grow with you. Once you have something serviceable that checks the boxes, just use that.

A lot of real table tennis is about reading the spin on the ball and adapting your stroke to it in real time. There is much more to be gained by applying technically sound strokes to this task even if they are not CNT level strokes than to work on perfecting your loop according to the book of Ma Long and then using this in matches. Because Ma Long, in addition to having a 20+ years head start on you, largely followed the first process and evolved what he currently has. Whether your physique and experience wi have a positive result trying to do same is an open question.

But there are essentials that need to be met for your loop go pass muster. Those who do not meet these essentials need to fix them. But the fix is not to spend time shadowing for weeks trying to copy details that one rightly or fortunately or wrongly or unfortunately determines to be important. The better approach is to find a natural topspin technique that is adapted well to one's natural motions and which can be done instinctively.

I can show you people whose forehand topspin practice would likely make people laugh but is very effective. Not just amateurs too. People still make jokes about Thomas Keinath or Hidetoshi Oya. And the Chinese tell you all the things that are wrong with Boll and Mizutani. Boll by the way has an incredibly difficult technique to emulate but you would never know that unless you see how many people try and just do not get anything like the results.

The result of Mark's work will be interesting. But I think that his overall approach is wrong and that people wanting to do something like what he is doing are better off getting effective and natural technically sound strokes with the help of a coach. To make it clear what effective means, let's remember that Danny Seemillef still doesn't hold the paddle properly.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: JacekGM
Date Posted: 01/19/2016 at 9:03pm
For one... "at lower levels" people who still deserve to play because they paid the duesWink and they like it, and it is a great work out, and a great pass time, and a great way to meet others, these people who also may have an ambition to excel within their modest physical capabilities or little time available to practice, or for any good reason, such folks still may continually improve by finding some interesting ways to win matches by simply being good strategists, or clever observers, or whatever else it takes... within a good etiquette of our sport, of course. Like it or not, people like that are very many in our sport, in this country and around the world, and I personally think this is a great feature of Table Tennis.
APW46, if this note of mine is hijacking your intended topic, my apologies, but your thread has just touched a sensitive button in my soul. Too often I have been told by "good, 2000-level players" that I hold the racket too loosely, or too tightly, or that I move too much, or that I do not move enough, or that I should put pips on BH, and when I did that I should not put them... Yet I still derive great satisfaction on a rare occasion when I play a 500 ranking points higher rated looper and get him 3:2 because I just knew where his loops will land and what kind of serves drive him nuts. Of course he has better technique but I was able to surprise him more than he surprised me. 
I hope "good, 2000 level players" fully get this.

-------------
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.

Date Posted: 01/19/2016 at 9:18pm
JacekGM,

Sure. I enjoyed table tennis immensely when I was rated USATT 500. I enjoyed playing it in secondary school in Nigeria with planks as paddles and uneven desks assembled together as tables. I as a 1700 player lost to an 1200 player who subsequently defaulted the rest of his matches and gained 200 pts. I also have beaten players who told me after that losing to me was a bad loss and that I have no technique. Someone told me this when I was already playing USATT 2000 at the Lily Yip league, BTW.

So the odd win against a higher rated player proves little about your tactical standard. Since you are still 1200, you must lose to 900 players or lower as well occasionally. If you have 500 level strokes and a 1200 rating, that is a different story. And since you make it sound that way, I commend you on your achievements. Ans if you want to leave the 1200 level behind, there is still room to consider what slightly natural and improved technique can do for you. Then again, it is hard to get anything across to someone who thinks the odd win against a 1700 player without a corresponding rise in standard is impressive.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/20/2016 at 2:57am

Now I see APW46's main point being hijacked by people with no serious interest in improving their technique or getting it within acceptable confines which is unfortunate.

APW46's point in its ideal form is similar to what my coach, whose student wrote Breaking 2000, likes to say - the best loop in the world is the one which wins you the point. Too many people are trying to loop like someone else in detail. The alternative is to understand the broad essentials of a good loop and apply them to your practice and let the stroke grow with you. Once you have something serviceable that checks the boxes, just use that.

A lot of real table tennis is about reading the spin on the ball and adapting your stroke to it in real time. There is much more to be gained by applying technically sound strokes to this task even if they are not CNT level strokes than to work on perfecting your loop according to the book of Ma Long and then using this in matches. Because Ma Long, in addition to having a 20+ years head start on you, largely followed the first process and evolved what he currently has. Whether your physique and experience wi have a positive result trying to do same is an open question.

But there are essentials that need to be met for your loop go pass muster. Those who do not meet these essentials need to fix them. But the fix is not to spend time shadowing for weeks trying to copy details that one rightly or fortunately or wrongly or unfortunately determines to be important. The better approach is to find a natural topspin technique that is adapted well to one's natural motions and which can be done instinctively.

I can show you people whose forehand topspin practice would likely make people laugh but is very effective. Not just amateurs too. People still make jokes about Thomas Keinath or Hidetoshi Oya. And the Chinese tell you all the things that are wrong with Boll and Mizutani. Boll by the way has an incredibly difficult technique to emulate but you would never know that unless you see how many people try and just do not get anything like the results.

The result of Mark's work will be interesting. But I think that his overall approach is wrong and that people wanting to do something like what he is doing are better off getting effective and natural technically sound strokes with the help of a coach. To make it clear what effective means, let's remember that Danny Seemillef still doesn't hold the paddle properly.

Perfect ! all of it.Tongue

-------------

Posted By: blahness
Date Posted: 01/20/2016 at 4:54am
My 2 cents:

We need to expand our thinking about technique. Technique is a lot more than forehand and backhand topspin strokes. Stuff like serving, pushing, flipping, these are arguably a lot more useful than mere topspin driving all day long. More importantly, service and service receive is what really drives the game, Against good players, they will control you with their variations in placement and spin to make you uncomfortable and unable to make any good shot, and make tons of unforced errors. Having wonderful topspin strokes without a deep understanding of spin and game reading will lead to many ugly losses especially against good players with superb control.

-------------
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(

Date Posted: 01/20/2016 at 5:35am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

My 2 cents:

We need to expand our thinking about technique. Technique is a lot more than forehand and backhand topspin strokes. Stuff like serving, pushing, flipping, these are arguably a lot more useful than mere topspin driving all day long. More importantly, service and service receive is what really drives the game, Against good players, they will control you with their variations in placement and spin to make you uncomfortable and unable to make any good shot, and make tons of unforced errors. Having wonderful topspin strokes without a deep understanding of spin and game reading will lead to many ugly losses especially against good players with superb control.
No, we do not or maybe nothing you have written has convinced me.  Technique has generally being considered to be about form.  Things like game reading skills are not technique.  The form of footwork and strokes are technique.  There is serving technique, looping technique, blocking technique, footwork technique, pushing technique etc.  People would not say that there is "game reading technique" or "stroke preparation technique" or "spin reading technique" though one could venture that way given the modern impetus to classify everything.

There are many techniques for looping, the efficient ones sharing some common things, especially at the world class level. But I don't need a world class loop for what I do and I doubt you do either.  What I need is something that puts the ball with sufficient margin where I want it when I want it in response to as many balls as possible.  And that is only going to happen if the motion comes naturally to me and I can produce it upon demand.  I can teach people to loop even better than I can in 5 minutes if they get the natural part - of course, they likely don't have the game reading skills that I have built up so it won't make a difference in a match in 5 minutes, but if they build up the ball reading skills, it can make a big difference fairly fast.  

It's the ones who want to make it about the foot being precisely here, the elbow being exactly here, the neck turned to the 47.85 degree angle, the paddle at the 79.99 degree angle that never get anywhere because they really don't have time to do all either in training or in matches.  And the time it takes to learn all that for an adult can be spent doing things that actually win matches.  Most adults would learn to loop in 5 minutes if they tried to do things like swing the ball like a golf club, or throw frisbees with both sides or do a proper punch in martial arts form etc.  Part of the benefit of that kind of thinking is that you don't develop a stilted stroke - you realize that you can adjust the stroke to contact anywhere on the ball by changing the trajectory of what you are doing.  People who do it by some mechanical rote end up just repeating the same motion over and over again because they find it hard to adjust it to anything other than the ball they practiced it against.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 01/20/2016 at 1:12pm
well said! Thumbs Up

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Date Posted: 01/21/2016 at 12:01am

This shadowing approach has not made any sense to me since Mark started that thread, for the reasons mentioned on this thread.  But someone has an idea, and he wants to test it, so I can't criticize that.

I think one of the things not talked about enough is that really good players can see the present trajectory and plot out the future trajectory of the ball a lot earlier than lesser players and that makes all existing movements and strokes a lot more effective.  Unorthodox can be very effective.

Date Posted: 01/21/2016 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

This shadowing approach has not made any sense to me since Mark started that thread, for the reasons mentioned on this thread.  But someone has an idea, and he wants to test it, so I can't criticize that.

I think one of the things not talked about enough is that really good players can see the present trajectory and plot out the future trajectory of the ball a lot earlier than lesser players and that makes all existing movements and strokes a lot more effective.  Unorthodox can be very effective.
The best shadow swings I've seen was by a Russian tennis player - Vera Zvonareva (sp?) she simulated her serve and then she did it in reverse - I was so stunned I forgot to hit record on my camera and missed it. 

-------------
Butterfly MPS

Posted By: Epid3xia
Date Posted: 02/01/2016 at 2:11pm
My not so humble opinion on all of this:
As it is with all sports table tennis as a very complex matter. The better you become the more you have to train all the parts of the sport to become better. You can come far by just training one aspect of TT but to become better you need to train the things that hold you back.

In my mind there are the aspects of pure technique(the combined motions of your body parts for performing one stroke), reading the ball(spin, speed, trajectory and adapting your stroke to it), strategy(how to play that you can use your strength or how you can use your oponents weaknesses), talent and one thing I'm not so sure how to call it.

Talent will help in everyzhing but less in strategy. People that are more talented than others need to train less to achieve the same result than others. It is by much on low levels and by very few on high levels.

Technique explains itself. But one thing about technique I want to say is that only those strokes that you can reliably do again and again and again will win you games. That is not very special but it will make sense later.

This one thing I'm not so sure how to name it. If you are in a match you are in very dynamic surroundings. A lot of different shots are made. Your trained strokes are under a big test. One thing that seperates the top chinese players from the rest in my opinion is that they are so stable in their play. Sure they make mistakes. It is an up and down, a going forward and back like in a rope pull game but in many different ways. But in general the chinese have very well developed strokes that they can pull out in very different situations. They can do their forhand loop for example from many different positions. They can pull off the stroke even when they are cought off guard with completely messed up footwork. For me this is one thing I seek after. Beeing able to pull of the strokes I learned from all imaginable positions. 

I guess that I will have to learn how to perform the most important part of the stroke which is the motion of the blade shortly before and after ball contact detached from the movement of my other body parts. Well if I think about that I realize how crazy that sounds. But I guess that is what the world elite in TT seperates from the rest.
The advantage of this skill is that you can perform your shots even if you are in a bad position. On average that will increase the amount of points you can win which will directly result in more games won, in more matches won and thus in a higher ranking. 
Damn if I listen to myself I sound like a salesman. Confused Pls don't let it disturb you.

And then there are two things that only apply to one specific enemy and I think it is most likely used only by pros. One of those things is studiing your enemy's play style. Their favourite strokes, their go to tactics and their weaknesses. If you know all of those things you can adapt all of the elements of your game to it. If you do that you will principally counter your oponent. And if she or he is not massively better than you then you will either have an even playing ground or if she/he is at same technical level you will mostly just outplay her/him and win.
And then the other thing is similar but on a whole different level which I only heard from the CNT. They have TT players that try to mimik the playing characteristics of the next enemy let's say Timo Boll that the top CNT player let's say Ma Long will face so that Ma Long can train on how to play against Timo Boll without even palying against him. And that will enhance your ability to perform those countering shots even better.

In conclusion: The more times you can perfrom your stroke the more you win. I guess.

Those are my thoughts on this subject.

-------------
Single Ply Hinoki Club Member
Darker Speed 90 9mm Shakehand 86g

Posted By: The Canadian Bacon
Date Posted: 02/01/2016 at 2:55pm
Everything needs a base to work from, that's how things work before it had to be a man and a woman doingbit to have a child now two men or two women can have a child but the base is still sperm and egg joining from the basic technique which has been evolved via technology. :)

Posted By: koshkin
Date Posted: 02/01/2016 at 3:44pm
I generally agree with APW's thesis, but one of the things that I do not think was mentioned (forgive me if I missed it) is that everyone learns differently.  For some people, it is just repetition.  Others need to do creative things to develop the feel and the timing and yet for others, it is critical to understand the minute details of what is happening.  Mark is one of those and for him that is probably the best way to learn.

I am also the analytical type and I know from experience in other sports (i have not played enough table tennis in the last few years to make it count, but I am a fairly decent martial artist and I can draw on that), in order for me to own a technique or a tactic or a strategy, I need to really break down the mechanics and understand them.  Without that, drilling does nothing for me.  Once I break down the mechanics of the technique and really understand it, I own it.  At that point, I also start modifying it to fit my ability and my body and my game strategy.  However, I can't really mold it into a perfect fit for me, until I fundamentally understand it.

I have seen other people arrive to the same point by a lot of repetition and natural evolution of the technique, but that simply does not work for me.  I have to understand and visualize.

Adapting to different tactics and stretegy is no different.  I have barely had time to practice since my kids were born, but I still enjoy laying and practicing, so I gave it a lot of thought and changed my game.  I spent what little time I had on serve and serve return drills, while fighting my natural tendency to cream the ball.  Despite playing twice a month, my playing level has not dropped much overall, but I win points differently (and I wasn't very good to start with).  I get a lot more mileage out of my serve than I used.  My serve return is a lot safer than it used to be, so I let the other miss an extra point or two.  I focus on looping slower and spinnier if we get past the serve/serve return.  That sounds like a very simple change, but it really was not.  I had to spend a lot of time internalizing that and then setting up drills for it. 

The basic process for adopting a new tactic or strategy for me is not different from developing a new technique.  I jave to really understand it to make it my own.

ILya

-------------
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05

Date Posted: 02/02/2016 at 7:30am
I too have been digesting this concept of 'technique is not everything' and also believe in marshal arts training methods...

Please forgive me for not having the posters name who provided this list that I cut to my phone some time ago as a technique aspirations list:

"Intermediate:
FH drive, BH drive, BH push, FH push, 4 serves (top, side (both), chop), FH loop, BH loop, Smash, FH loop vs underspin, BH loop vs underspin, improved receive, some 3rd ball knowledge, Flicks (BH and FH), Block (both BH and FH with ...

Anything above this, all techniques should be known... like serve deception, counterloop far from table, counterloop vs spinny opening loop close to table, different blocks with spin, heavy chops, advanced footwork and timing.... everything...."

Now what part the above is or is not needed..?

My conclusion is technique may not be everything, but consistency is...

The question is what is the minimum consistency stroke set..?

I just wonder...

-------------

Date Posted: 02/02/2016 at 7:55am
Technique may not be everything, but without technique nothing is possible.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g

Date Posted: 02/02/2016 at 8:08am

Technique may not be everything, but without technique nothing is possible.

Sure, but the point of deemphasizing technique is to stress that there are many serviceable techniques that support decent play, and once you have serviceable technique, get on to the harder issue of reading the game. Too much time spent on technical improvement may not have the returns for older or experienced players with serviceable technique for reasons already mentioned.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 02/02/2016 at 9:43am

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g

Posted By: Argothman
Date Posted: 02/02/2016 at 12:27pm
It depends on your perspective and your resources. If you are an amateur with little access to coaching and/or little training time, or you don't care about becoming a high-level player, then I think you should focus on more practical techniques that rely on easier effective strategies rather than difficult techniques. However, if you are young, and/or have coaching, and/or can train often, then I think you should focus on technique, everything from strokes to strategy. In the long-run, a focus on technique will lead you to a higher level, and if you choose not to focus on technique you hamstring your long-term potential.

Again, it depends on your resources and goals.

Date Posted: 02/02/2016 at 6:09pm
Again, people are missing the point of the original post.  Let's assume that you think Ma Long has the best forehand technique in the world and you have the forehand technique of say, Samson Dubina or Brian Pace.  You are an 1800 player.  Should you spend your time trying to make your technique like Ma Long or should you just try to adapt your technique to more practice situations?

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: ghostzen
Date Posted: 02/02/2016 at 6:20pm

Solid Techniques are great to have whatever level everyone is (most of us will never be world beaters will we?) …..application of that certain technique when it matters under pressure is what matters or being open minded enough to use it is what makes a good player IMHO. I sometimes think of Table tennis and martial arts/fighting in the same way. Both have techniques which need to be trained to a certain level. The problem is when you actually get down to the nitty gritty of actually using the techniques for real those pretty movements don’t always do the job and you need to improvise, think on your feet and find that shot that works for that situation.  Especially when age and or injury come into play. 

Date Posted: 02/02/2016 at 7:08pm
You do not need to have a ma long forehand or wang liqin forehand to be good but you can raise your basics level into acceptable and correct level that your strokes become more efficient. Learning and improving are part of the sport. If you stop learning on one area and just cover it up by improving other areas then aren't you just putting excuses in order not to improve?

-------------

Posted By: kenneyy88
Date Posted: 02/02/2016 at 11:59pm
There are certainly core principles that make up technique that are important if you want to be a good player. The subtleties and aesthetics of technique surely can help, but you can also get better by other aspects of the game such as tactics, strategy, mental.

Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 1:24am
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

You do not need to have a ma long forehand or wang liqin forehand to be good but you can raise your basics level into acceptable and correct level that your strokes become more efficient. Learning and improving are part of the sport. If you stop learning on one area and just cover it up by improving other areas then aren't you just putting excuses in order not to improve?

No, you are not.  Sometimes, a man has got to know his limitations.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 2:18am
If your limitations due to poor technique will lead you to possible injury in the future wouldn't that be reason enough to improve your strokes somehow no matter how little improvement you will have? And with the access to internet and everything, what really limits a person to try and improve? Is it really the resources including the time to practice or the attitude towards improvement? Some players are contented with their level of play, others try hard to improve and i have seen a lot of people improve their gameplay by studying the correct strokes and i have some a lot also who are just lazy to try, which one are we in?
Having a good technique is one thing but it needs strategy also in order for it to be applied. Both go hand in hand but you are greatly hampered for improvement when you do not have the right basics in the first place.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 2:19am
There are 3 aspects that make up the core essentials in playing good - technical, gameplay and mental. All are essential and none is to be disregarded.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 3:06am

If your limitations due to poor technique will lead you to possible injury in the future wouldn't that be reason enough to improve your strokes somehow no matter how little improvement you will have? And with the access to internet and everything, what really limits a person to try and improve? Is it really the resources including the time to practice or the attitude towards improvement? Some players are contented with their level of play, others try hard to improve and i have seen a lot of people improve their gameplay by studying the correct strokes and i have some a lot also who are just lazy to try, which one are we in?
Having a good technique is one thing but it needs strategy also in order for it to be applied. Both go hand in hand but you are greatly hampered for improvement when you do not have the right basics in the first place.

If your attempts to improve your technique lead you to possible injury in the future, wouldn't that be a reason enough to foresake technical improvement somehow because you can improve at other things that will still help your game?  We can pretend technical improvement is always without injury risk but anything that involves extensive physical practice is not.  The key question is whether one's technique is serviceable or not.  Again, in the context of my original question, let's say your technique is like Brian Pace or Saive and you believe superior technique like Ma Long or Zhang Jike, if you are over 40 years old, should you spend your time acquiring the technique of the latter or should you just improve your ability to use your current technique?

Again, the question is not about whether you need technique that checks the boxes, or whether there is a technical ideal box that fits all sizes and whether it is worth it acquiring that technique just for its own sake.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 4:55am
Having the wrong technique surely leads to injury if done repeatedly. The premise is foregoing technique and improving other areas and why make an example of a highly trained athlete? You can have the right technique but done in a slower and less forcefull way. You do not need to emulate the way they apply force. Also, you can practice your basic loops in a match or on drills but less productive compared to doing it over n over again and focusing on it.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 5:17am

Having the wrong technique surely leads to injury if done repeatedly. The premise is foregoing technique and improving other areas and why make an example of a highly trained athlete? You can have the right technique but done in a slower and less forcefull way. You do not need to emulate the way they apply force. Also, you can practice your basic loops in a match or on drills but less productive compared to doing it over n over again and focusing on it.

Maybe because just about everyone who teaches or models looping in videos are highly trained athletes?  And untrained people say all the wrong things when people who are not highly trained athletes model loops?

You don't seem to understand the main point being made and keep on going off on tangents that have already been addressed.  There is no single "right technique" - there is technique that checks the boxes, or there are many right techniques.   Correct technique can also cause injuries depending on each individual's make up and the amount of practice being done to ingrain the technique.  Injury prevention and treatment, not proper technique, is what prevents injuries.

What has been said is that should you push your technique as an amateur to make it more like a current world champion from China, or should you just look for technique that checks the boxes and stick with that, knowing that other things make or break your game and aspects of the World Champion's technique are really quirks or personalized improvements?

And if you cannot generate significant racket head speed with your loop, then good luck with it.  You are better off becoming a hitter as looping requires excess racket head speed.  And the plastic ball hasn't made anything easier.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 5:31am
I disagree. There is the right basic technique but with variations. There are are correct ways of executing a stroke and they fall within acceptable boundaries. Significant racket speed is different from executing it with poor speed. You are trying to muddle the concept of the way doing a stroke correctly and doing it to the maximum level a world class athlete can. You can do stroke in the right way without going to the level of a world class athlete.
There are several types of loop and not just the one that you gake on the rise. There is a loop timing that you contact the ball when it goes down and you do not need too much speed and force at the sime time excellent for us mortals that cannot take the ball early. It is a spinny but slow loop but it is a basic stroke that can be done by people with no high level training.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 6:21am

I disagree. There is the right basic technique but with variations. There are are correct ways of executing a stroke and they fall within acceptable boundaries. Significant racket speed is different from executing it with poor speed. You are trying to muddle the concept of the way doing a stroke correctly and doing it to the maximum level a world class athlete can. You can do stroke in the right way without going to the level of a world class athlete.
There are several types of loop and not just the one that you gake on the rise. There is a loop timing that you contact the ball when it goes down and you do not need too much speed and force at the sime time excellent for us mortals that cannot take the ball early. It is a spinny but slow loop but it is a basic stroke that can be done by people with no high level training.

with respect, you are completely missing the point, try reading the op again.

-------------

Posted By: Ringer84
Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 6:31am
I think the hardest part for most amateurs is knowing whether or not they've checked off all the necessary boxes (as NL likes to say). For example, when I posted my very first BH topspin video, Brett Clarke thought that my technique was basically uncapped, but Nextlevel did not.  When we as amateurs arent sure whether or not our technique is uncapped, we tend to just keep obsessing over every detail for years on end until we reach what we view as "perfection". 

Whenever I evaluate someones technique now, I only look for 3 things and 3 things only

1. The ability to create a whip effect and high racket speed

2. Proper elbow position

3. Reasonable finishing position for generating spin and arc on the ball.

If those 3 things are in order, it's time for the amateur to stop obsesing over technique.

-------------
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda

Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 6:46am
Originally posted by Ringer84 Ringer84 wrote:

I think the hardest part for most amateurs is knowing whether or not they've checked off all the necessary boxes (as NL likes to say). For example, when I posted my very first BH topspin video, Brett Clarke thought that my technique was basically uncapped, but Nextlevel did not.  When we as amateurs arent sure whether or not our technique is uncapped, we tend to just keep obsessing over every detail for years on end until we reach what we view as "perfection". 

Whenever I evaluate someones technique now, I only look for 3 things and 3 things only

1. The ability to create a whip effect and high racket speed

2. Proper elbow position

3. Reasonable finishing position for generating spin and arc on the ball.

If those 3 things are in order, it's time for the amateur to stop obsesing over technique.

I think ending that obsession begins with understanding the role of ball reading skills and stroke adaptation in a person's playing strength.

BTW: Really?  Just those 3? No core rotation?  Knee bend?  Or not even a smell test for when your boxes are not checked but there is spin on the ball?  Or left knee below straight right knee and collapsing on backswing as a sign of issues?

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 7:07am
I completely understand what the op is saying and that i am disagreeing with the generalizations made.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 7:37am

I completely understand what the op is saying and that i am disagreeing with the generalizations made.

Could you post a video of your teaching someone to loop with late timing and proper technique?  You are an ITTF certified coach so surely you must do this all the time.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 8:09am
Players who are learning/improving sometimes need to examine some facts that are easy to ignore. Why is the best player in your town/province/state, the best ? You can't leapfrog him by copying world class player alone, especially if you have limited practice time and resources. If you want perfect technique (IMO there is no such thing) there are plenty of coaches who will take your money off you, but few who will teach you how to win.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 9:06am

Could you post a video of your teaching someone to loop with late timing and proper technique?  You are an ITTF certified coach so surely you must do this all the time.

I can if i have time.

-------------

Posted By: bes
Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 9:37am
I think this is a very interesting thread.  I strongly agree with the original poster - but don't necessarily disagree with many other opinions.  While I think that "adequate" technique is a requirement, the definition of adequate varies tremendously depending on level, tactics, physical ability (or limitation), and most definitely goals and aspirations.

My biggest and quickest jump came from working with a coach who stressed footwork, balance, and anticipation.  We drilled 100% on those items at first.  His mantra (for me, at that time) was "getting to the correct position, in time, and balanced will allow almost any stroke to work".  My level of play - based primarily on the players I could beat at the club - went up drastically after a couple months.  I still had (still do!) have huge holes in my game, but I was now able to capitalize on many, many more of my opponent's mistakes and generally put them under much more pressure.

My next biggest jump came from the same coach after he started working with me on my serves, serve returns, and third ball attacks.  But he didn't worry about this till after working on the above for a long time.  Sadly, he moved away before fixing all the other holes in my game!

I think that technique is important, but lovely technique does not trump tactics, anticipation, footwork, service skill, serve return skill, experience, or a number of other things.

All other things being relatively equal though, better technique can definitely become an advantage. More efficient strokes - which tend to lead to easier power, easier spin, more consistency, better finishing position, quicker recovery, and easier balance really matter when the other guy/gal has similar "other abilities".

bes

Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 9:44am

Players who are learning/improving sometimes need to examine some facts that are easy to ignore. Why is the best player in your town/province/state, the best ? You can't leapfrog him by copying world class player alone, especially if you have limited practice time and resources. If you want perfect technique (IMO there is no such thing) there are plenty of coaches who will take your money off you, but few who will teach you how to win.

Wow! That's a gem of a post. Thanks!...

Now you've got me in analytical mode...

Could be technically good enough already, but lack winning strategy & tactics and need to research properly...

Not funny at all...

-------------

Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 10:15am

I can if i have time.

So what kind of person do you teach this loop to? Just curious. Or should I just wait for the video?

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 10:49am
All ages and levels. It is imperative that a player should know the 3 basic timing of loops because it is not everytime you can take the ball early like the world champs. If against heavy backspin, taking the ball late or the moment it begins to descend is easier to execute.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by bes bes wrote:

My biggest and quickest jump came from working with a coach who stressed footwork, balance, and anticipation.  We drilled 100% on those items at first.  His mantra (for me, at that time) was "getting to the correct position, in time, and balanced will allow almost any stroke to work".  My level of play - based primarily on the players I could beat at the club - went up drastically after a couple months.  I still had (still do!) have huge holes in my game, but I was now able to capitalize on many, many more of my opponent's mistakes and generally put them under much more pressure.

Yes, exactly the point. That coach of yours is a gem. I never dismiss technique as an important part of any players game, and with out a doubt players displaying good sound technique show the best potential, for their own personal situation. However having a realistic potential and actually achieving it are two different things. Locally, we all live in areas with 'champions' of towns, districts etc, and there are two types, ones that have been trained to international level sometime in their history, and are now playing more recreationally, they never lose their class and carry it until they drop off through age, but there are many who just manage to find out how to rise above all around them. Dedication over the rest is the major factor because increased dedication on the table usually brings increased knowledge as well, but there is a danger, and I personally wasted about 10 years after my initial formative years, falling for it, so I do speak from experience, In was not until my early 30's that I got the right advice on where to look as to why 10 years of believing that drilling for a better technique enters into the realms of diminishing returns when considering results on the table. Today, my technique is from the 1970's, and not the best from that era either, but I am still in the top 1 percent ranking wise in my country
 ( hanging on just) at over 50 years old. So guys think about it, There are everywhere, old gits like me that are better than you, and I can guarantee 100% non of them are better because they set WLQ as their technique model.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 3:15pm

All ages and levels. It is imperative that a player should know the 3 basic timing of loops because it is not everytime you can take the ball early like the world champs. If against heavy backspin, taking the ball late or the moment it begins to descend is easier to execute.

Thanks - the answer shows you still don't understand the topic, but it's okay.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 8:03pm
I reiterate that I understand it completely and I disagree about discarding one aspect of the game to concentrate on other areas of the game instead. I also disagree with the arguements presented because because people would use the world class player stroke without putting into consideration that you can have a good proper stroke that is considered scientifically right and acceptable range. Mediocrity is one way but it is not the best way. Too many generelizations made just to back their claims.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/03/2016 at 8:19pm
And why would you deemphasize technique when technique itself is an integral part of having a good game? You would forego studying how to loop and instead just resolve to hitting balls? When one hits the ball thick through the sponge when he needs to brush the ball in a situation where amateur level and lower level players tend to push more, wouldn't ball contact be important and a part of basic technique that the player needs? If a player has limited time and resources in order for him to improve he can choose to just cocentrate on other areas, but is it the best choice? NOPE.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/04/2016 at 11:12am
@APW46 - Sorry to bring equipment into it...

You are probably at-one with your setup. Whilst I'm searching for "Nirvana"...

So when we see the good older guy playing with 'Old Stiga' it can't be ignored...

Do most of your successful peers use Allround blades..?

It would be nice to know...

-------------

Date Posted: 02/04/2016 at 11:48am

And why would you deemphasize technique when technique itself is an integral part of having a good game? You would forego studying how to loop and instead just resolve to hitting balls? When one hits the ball thick through the sponge when he needs to brush the ball in a situation where amateur level and lower level players tend to push more, wouldn't ball contact be important and a part of basic technique that the player needs? If a player has limited time and resources in order for him to improve he can choose to just cocentrate on other areas, but is it the best choice? NOPE.

At this point, it makes sense to discuss your specific experiences. I am an adult learner and I can discuss my experiences with technical changes and my observation of its impact on others. You simply don't seem to understand the major issues involved.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 02/04/2016 at 11:59am
I do understand everything I am just saying the long hard way in the long run is still the best way to improve and not discarding 1 area or aspect of the game.
There are technical changes and modifications for a stroke or technique because of the factor of age, flexibility, etc but bottomline is technique improvement should never be deemphasized.
My specific experience is that if you teach a person how to loop and contact the ball properly even with advanced age, improving his gameplay will be less harder than not knowing to loop at all and just hitting underspin balls.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/04/2016 at 2:16pm

My specific experience is that if you teach a person how to loop and contact the ball properly even with advanced age, improving his gameplay will be less harder than not knowing to loop at all and just hitting underspin balls.

I am not advocating that at all, I did say, once the basic strokes are to a useable standard, meaning not striving for international standard technique at the expense of learning how to win.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/04/2016 at 5:36pm

I am not advocating that at all, I did say, once the basic strokes are to a useable standard, meaning not striving for international standard technique at the expense of learning how to win.

Everyone has said this, and I even went out of my way to chastise someone who I know was trying to argue that his bad technique is compensated by his supposedly good game reading skills, but yogi_Bear is not reading what anyone is saying.

No one posting here in support of APW46, including myself, would teach anyone bad technique.  But I have students and/or people asking questions in their 50s and 60s and 70s, some learning for the first time, some with ambitious goals, and once they can hit the ball well and with good basic form, I am not going to push them to bend their knees all the time or look like Ma Long.  Doing so would injure some of them, though others can take it.  It is time to teach them how to set up points, how to make the opponent move, how to read spin, how to think about serving, the importance of blocking etc. Technique supports all those things, but the goal is never to strive for perfect or world class technique.  In the long run, as I am there to coach them in person, the technique is largely developed to be effective in the typical situations they will face.  

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 02/04/2016 at 7:35pm
I never said that somebody is teaching bad technique. What I was emphasizing and I am trying to point is that one should continually im prove his technique and not not de emphasize it. Again, you are the one missing the point. I have reiterated that the forms and basic strokes reach a certain acceptable range but you continue to make an example of world class players' extreme wide stances or swings in order to support your claims and yet I am disagreeing because one doesnt have to have a world class player form just to have a good technique. I also said if you carefully read my post that age and flexibility among other factors modify the stroke and technique but they can be done in an accetable level. Why disregard technique or stroke enhancement when you can develop both at the same time. It is a matter of training yourself because I have seen a lot of players who have no training but due to their principle of learning as much as they can they develop acceptable strokes while developing good gameplay. Sone took a lot of time some didn't. I think you are the one who didn't get my arguement and point and no experience wise these players do not emulate ma long.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/04/2016 at 7:50pm
I think in the end we have to agree to disagree. You and apw want people to just concentrate more on strat and gameplay more while I advocate on the traditional way of perpetual development of strokes and techniques while developing gameplay at the same time.

-------------

Date Posted: 02/04/2016 at 8:54pm
Anyone care to give my friend some pointers to beat this dude?  He spares no expense to train with former provincial players in Shenzhen, as such technique shouldn't be an issue.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g

Date Posted: 02/05/2016 at 1:10am
He should play the guy on the other table instead.

Date Posted: 02/05/2016 at 3:02pm

Anyone care to give my friend some pointers to beat this dude?  He spares no expense to train with former provincial players in Shenzhen, as such technique shouldn't be an issue.

I just loved watching the quality serves from both players, haven't got a clue who they are, but they are fantastic players.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net