Print Page | Close Window

Donic Ovtcharov True Carbon

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=76419
Printed Date: 04/27/2024 at 5:07am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Donic Ovtcharov True Carbon
Posted By: jpenmaster
Subject: Donic Ovtcharov True Carbon
Date Posted: 08/03/2016 at 5:23pm
Got one in a few days ago figured i would share a few pics

-------------
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip

Replies:
Posted By: DreiZ
Date Posted: 08/03/2016 at 6:14pm
What's the weight and thickness?

-------------
Main:
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm

Chopper:
Stratus Power Defense 85g
FH: Hybrid K3 max
BH: Grass D.TecS 0.9mm

USATT: 1725

Date Posted: 08/03/2016 at 6:49pm
Weight was 89 grams. Dont have my caliper here but its slightly thicker than a rosewood XO so i am guessing right around 6mm

-------------

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 08/03/2016 at 9:34pm
I have two of them.  I like them, but one in particular is as good as any of the Viscarias I have owned.  That one is 92 g.

Plays like a Butterfly ALC blade pretty much, my good one is just a touch faster than my Viscaria blades.  The other one is a bit slower and definitely lighter.  The ST handle is roundish and very comfortable.

The fact that it is quite "Viscaria-like" is not surprising from just looking at it.  I don't have calipers but it looks to be exactly the same thickness.

Posted By: kindof99
Date Posted: 08/03/2016 at 9:45pm
Nice fish scaling surface like Vis and TBS as well. Maybe they use the same wood?

-------------
/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65174&title=feedback-for-kindof99" rel="nofollow - My Feedback | /forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77924" rel="nofollow - Sale

Date Posted: 08/03/2016 at 9:46pm
How about Ovtcharov Feat? It appears to be a very light blade.

-------------
/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65174&title=feedback-for-kindof99" rel="nofollow - My Feedback | /forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77924" rel="nofollow - Sale

Date Posted: 08/03/2016 at 9:53pm
I haven't tried or seen one of those yet.

Date Posted: 08/03/2016 at 9:54pm
The color of the handle layers is that of the Germany flag. Amazing. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08/03/2016 at 10:06pm
How's the balance of it as well? I always thought BTY blades have the best balance.

-------------
Main:

Chopper:

Date Posted: 08/03/2016 at 10:11pm
Ovtcharov True Carbon is out of stock at TT11. I luckily played an order yesterday and hopefull will get it next week. I hope it is as beautiful as it was shown here.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/03/2016 at 10:12pm
They have them at Megaspin now I think.

Date Posted: 08/03/2016 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

How's the balance of it as well? I always thought BTY blades have the best balance.

I agree about Btfly balance.  The better of the two that I have is just as good.

Posted By: ttspirit
Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 3:40am
Here are some facts about the blade with ST handle:

blade thickness: 5,6 mm, ALC is about 5,7 mm, old Viscaria and first Boll Spirits had about 5,8 mm
handle wideness: rear 29,0 mm to front 28,65 mm ALC about. 27,60 mm
handle thickness: 23,35 - 23,50, ALC Standard ST has about 22,40 mm
handle length: 100,35 - 100,50 mm
handle radius: not squarish, but also not round as an Donic Waldner senso V1 handle

The problem is the handle wideness I think and also the handle thickness is a little bit too much
the handle feels first comfortable when you just hold it in your hand but when it comes to play with it the handle don't let me play the way I want to because the dimensions are more for very big hands with long fingers. I have average sized hands and I'm 1,81 m tall, For me I like the Korbel SK7 ST handle, it has handle thickness 22,80 mm and wideness 28,50 mm- nice to handle and play with, handle radius is nearly same but not as big as True Carbon.

the blade is not head heavy at all and I don't like that much , because I played most time those head heavy blades- is needed for a powerfull play in my eyes.

Posted By: TurboZ
Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 5:52am
Found a google pic of Viscaria ST and the dimension is quite close to the True Carbon ST. Viscaria ST is 29.1mm x 22.7mm x 100.5mm. True Carbon ST measured 29.2mm x 23.1mm x 100.5mm. To me it is easily the best blade coming out of Donic. 

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53150&title=feedback-turboz - My Feedback

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 6:43am
It seems your Viscaria ST was sanded down in thickness and wideness. Original old Viscaria has wideness of exact 30,50 mm and thickness for sure not 22,7 mm, rather clearly more than yours- I have original one at home. With what kind of aid did you meassure the handle ?

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 6:52am
Hello again, that picture you saw was not from an original Viscaria ST, As nikolaygorbach said in his post it was a custom made viscaria and not made after the original dimensions, thats a big difference.
Her you are:
nikolaygorbach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options
  Thanks (0) Thanks(0)
  Quote nikolaygorbach http://mytabletennis.net/forum/new_reply_form.asp?Quote=1&PID=808517&PN=2&TR=43" rel="nofollow - Quote   Post Reply http://mytabletennis.net/forum/new_reply_form.asp?PID=808517&PN=2&TR=43" rel="nofollow - Reply
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66996&PID=808517&title=viscaria-st#808517" rel="nofollow">Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2014 at 2:46pm
Original Viscaria ST size

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66996&title=viscaria-st#top" rel="nofollow">Back to Top
in2spin View Drop Down

Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks (0) Thanks(0)
  Quote in2spin http://mytabletennis.net/forum/new_reply_form.asp?Quote=1&PID=808520&PN=2&TR=43" rel="nofollow - Quote   Post Reply http://mytabletennis.net/forum/new_reply_form.asp?PID=808520&PN=2&TR=43" rel="nofollow - Reply
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66996&PID=808520&title=viscaria-st#808520" rel="nofollow">Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2014 at 2:59pm
is that a bty custom in the picture?

:)
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66996&title=viscaria-st#top" rel="nofollow">Back to Top
nikolaygorbach View Drop Down

Thanks (0) Thanks(0)
  Quote nikolaygorbach http://mytabletennis.net/forum/new_reply_form.asp?Quote=1&PID=808523&PN=2&TR=43" rel="nofollow - Quote   Post Reply http://mytabletennis.net/forum/new_reply_form.asp?PID=808523&PN=2&TR=43" rel="nofollow - Reply
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=66996&PID=808523&title=viscaria-st#808523" rel="nofollow">Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/04/2014 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

is that a bty custom in the picture?

:)

Yes.

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 6:54am
I see. Thanks. BTW I think it is not a bad idea if Donic is cloning a special order Viscaria ST.Clap

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53150&title=feedback-turboz - My Feedback

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 7:23am
That's the clou- it is not a clon of Viscaria, it's just a blade you can find anywhere and much cheaper. If you want an clon why don't you buy for example Donic Baum Esprit with ST handle. That blade ist not bad-just the area of the thumb rest is not well made.

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 7:26am
Bytheway that untrue carbon comes from a blademaker soulspin made with cnc 3d machine. Thats all you need to know and your in table tennis heaven, maybe.

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 8:12am
It is not clear where it is made but Donic just released a whole bunch of new blades sharing a similar design and the Zhou Yu series is made in China so there is a reasonable chance that the rest are all made in China too. That picture of Dima in bright red looks so Chinese to me. Wink 

I have two Baum Esprit but they don't come close to Viscaria or even True Carbon. Before True Carbon I love their Crest OFF and WC89 Waldner. But Waldner is simply too thick and Crest OFF's thin and long handle made it less balance and head heavy. Although Crest OFF still wins in absolute power but True Carbon is awesome in about everything. Mine is only 5.55mm and I have it paired with Acuda Blue P1 Turbos. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 9:04am
sorry was in a hurry so didn't flip the pics. Here are the blade handle measurements and thickness of blade. 13/32 radius gage fits but its hard to measure perfect so its around 10mm

-------------

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 9:29am
Bottom line is that it's a nice new variation on the ALC blade and it comes with a ST handle that I personally like.  True, it is not as round as old Waldner blades but definitely roundish.

It is actually closer to an original Butterfly Viscaria ST in shape and weight balance than the custom made Viscaria ST I ordered from Butterfly last year (but it is definitely a bit faster than the older blades, which is not a bad thing).

I really really like mine.  The one concern I have is that the two True Carbons that I own are a bit more different from each other than I would like.

Posted By: slevin
Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 10:21am
Is the fiber in this blade carbon or is it arylate-carbon?

-------------
Trade feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787

Posted By: chroot
Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 10:53am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Is the fiber in this blade carbon or is it arylate-carbon?

It looks like ALC, but the official website doesn't reveal what it is.

"The combination of five high quality plies and two layers of carbon, plus a specially designed synthetic fiber"

http://www.donic.de/index.php?screen=dstore.item.view&TreeNodeID=34037

-------------
BTY Viscaria 90g
DHS Hurricane 3 NEO, 39/2.1
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62263" rel="nofollow - My Feedbacks

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 10:56am
If it's not arylate, it must be something quite similar.

Posted By: lucifer
Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 12:09pm
makes you wonder who is their target.
for almost the same price you can buy a timo boll spirit or a viscaria.

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 12:18pm
The price point of the Donic is much different than Bfly. $90 vs $150. I do remember when Viscaria was $89....but that was a long time ago haha.

-------------

Posted By: AndySmith
Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by lucifer lucifer wrote:

From a very quick google search, I can buy the True Carbon for €87, which is £73 (damn you Brexit, that exchange rate sucks).

I'm not allowed to buy Butterfly products from outside my territory, so I can only get a Viscaria from my official vendors, and their price is fixed at £120.

The True Carbon is 60% of the price of the Viscaria.  And that's with me spending 5 minutes searching - could probably get it cheaper with more effort.

So it's aimed at people like me, I guess?

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 12:23pm
timo boll spirit is 135 USD
they should lower the cost, if not they lose many customers to butterfly.

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 12:29pm

timo boll spirit is 135 USD
they should lower the cost, if not they lose many customers to butterfly.

I like how you very specifically pick the cheapest BTY ALC blade to suit your argument.

Shall we say it's aimed at people who were considering the ZJK ALC instead?  Because that's $190.

Regardless, you have it backwards.  It's a cheaper alternative to all these ALC blades, and it might take some customers from Butterfly, who are already the market leader.

Posted By: piligrim
Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">From a very quick google search, I can buy the True Carbon for €87, which is £73 (damn you Brexit, that exchange rate sucks).</span>

I'm not allowed to buy Butterfly products from outside my territory, so I can only get a Viscaria from my official vendors, and their price is fixed at £120.

The True Carbon is 60% of the price of the Viscaria.  And that's with me spending 5 minutes searching - could probably get it cheaper with more effort.

you can't do directly comparison
for €87 you only get True Carbon. you don't get Viscaria
you get what you pay for

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">From a very quick google search, I can buy the True Carbon for €87, which is £73 (damn you Brexit, that exchange rate sucks).</span>

you get what you pay for

I'm only comparing on price, with the argument that it's "close" to the price of the Viscaria, which it is not. It's a cheaper alternative. I'll leave the comparison of the performance of the two blades to those who have used both. See earlier in this thread for that.

I presume you've used both to make the "get what you pay for" comment. What did you think of the True Carbon?

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 1:07pm

I presume you've used both to make the "get what you pay for" comment. What did you think of the True Carbon?

I didn't use True Carbon but I used other "alternatives" to Butterfly blades. and I realized if you want Viscaria, for example, you should buy Viscaria. if you want TB ALC you should buy it and not to look for alternatives

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 1:11pm
Has anyone tried the fl handle? Is it similar to Vis too? 

-------------

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 1:28pm

I didn't use True Carbon but I used other "alternatives" to Butterfly blades. and I realized if you want Viscaria, for example, you should buy Viscaria. if you want TB ALC you should buy it and not to look for alternatives

Well not everyone has the money like you do.

Or maybe buying other equipment brands is a statement to counter high BTY prices that have been sky rocketing since the ban of speed glue.

-------------
Main:

Chopper:

Posted By: ghostzen
Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 1:53pm
I have the flared handle TC. Very comfy little bit thicker than the norm and not as long and thin as the Crest handle for me. Does remind me of the Stiga legend size handle a bit. Blade balance is really good as others have commented.

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 2:05pm
Having played with Viscaria and OTC they are very similar blades. I actually prefer OTC cause the handle size and its available in straight for less than $350...... If you like Viscaria and are in the market give OTC a serious look. OTC with 2 sheets of MX-P is almost the same price as Viscaria.

-------------

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 3:04pm

Yes, but what if you like a Viscaria and want it in ST? 

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 3:06pm

you get what you pay for

99% of the time I would agree with you about that.  This may be the exception.  I think the TC is just as good a blade.  And I am certainly in a position to do a direct comparison!  I doubt there is a bigger Viscaria fan than I am, and not so many people have owned so many.

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 6:31pm

The True Carbon is 60% of the price of the Viscaria. 

You're way wrong, Andy.

You see, if I pay $150 to buy a Viscaria now & then use it for 15 years, I can sell it for $600 later (expected price of the silver tags at that time).

Wink

-------------
Trade feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 7:58pm
If Dima use TC and win Gold in Rio, then it will be an instant collector item and sort after in years. I believe ZJK is doing the same to boost Viscaria. But Dima probably won't change blade before a big event, especially one with totally different handle size than what he has been using in years. Anyway I paid 57.3 Euro for mine after discount. A bargain for sure. 

No mention of material used in composite layer but it seems that ALC is common place and cheap in China these days. A Yinhe ALC can be had for as little as $30. Unless Buttefly has the patent right to it, I wonder why Donic can't advertise and use it. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by TurboZ TurboZ wrote:

If Dima use TC and win Gold in Rio

what??? you mean Dima can beat Jike and Ma Long????

Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 8:39pm

I know I know...wishful thinking to boost the value of my TC like the way ZJK do to Viscaria. But I am well prepared and already bought the new design HL5. Clap

-------------

Posted By: Matt Pimple
Date Posted: 08/04/2016 at 8:45pm

Beating Ma Long is a long shot (pun intended ) but Dima's recored against Jike is 3-5 and he won the last match so that is not too far fetched.

-------------
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=55835&title=feed-back-for-matt-pimple" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 8:17am

Well not everyone has the money like you do.

Or maybe buying other equipment brands is a statement to counter high BTY prices that have been sky rocketing since the ban of speed glue.

Table Tennis is not expensive sport. if you know how much money you have to pay to play Hokey you will agree that $150 for blade its ok.

of course if you can't afford it you can buy cheaper blade from different brand. but it won't be same as Butterfly. if you want Viscaria you should buy Viscaria. if you want Mizutani you should buy Mizutani.
if you buy blade to play for long time $150 its not expensive.

Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 8:27am
I am ok with the argument that for people who live in the US and Europe, Japan, Korea, etc. $150 is not completely out of line these days for a blade that can be used for many years, but I think the discussion of the True Carbon is really not a question of price (although it is indeed less expensive than Butterfly ALC blades).  

Some people -- like me -- are going to like the True Carbon on its own merits, irrespective of its price. 

I think it stands equally against any blade currently sold by Butterfly, and it will be preferred by people who like blades with ST handles that are more round than square, especially if they have large hands.  If you are seeking the elusive ST Viscaria, stop looking and just buy one of these.  The handles are a bit on the largish side, so if you like your handles very thin or more square, you won't like this. 

I actually now play with this blade and I played with Viscaria since 2007.  I have also owned TBS, TB-ALC, ZJK-ALC, and Xiom Stradivarius, and at one time or another I have at least hit with many of the Butterfly ZLC and sZLC blades (as well as several other company's ALC blades, which aren't as good).  People can decide for themselves if that experience means anything, but I think I have a strong basis for posting an opinion on this, certainly more than people who have not actually played with the True Carbon. 

Let me add one other thing.  I spent a stupid amount of money having two custom Viscaria ST blades made for me, and sold them both a couple of weeks later.  But I am still very much liking my True Carbon.  It is a better blade than those were.  I am not going to say it is better than the really good FL Viscarias I was using, but I find that ST handles are really suitable for me.  And orignal Viscaria ST blades for for $500 now!

Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 9:30am

Table Tennis is not expensive sport. if you know how much money you have to pay to play Hokey you will agree that $150 for blade its ok.

of course if you can't afford it you can buy cheaper blade from different brand. but it won't be same as Butterfly. if you want Viscaria you should buy Viscaria. if you want Mizutani you should buy Mizutani.
if you buy blade to play for long time $150 its not expensive.

For me, it's a simple thing consisting of two points.  

First, many blades are made to very high standards these days, and it's very possible to get blades which are equivalent in performance terms to Butterfly for far less cash.  Exactly the same?  No.  Equal (or better) in performance terms?  Yes, in my experience.  If you like and currently use Butterfly's blades, but know deep down in your heart of hearts that you can't be bothered to make the very slight adjustments needed to switch to any alternative, then fine - spend the money.  To me, this is just a waste of cash that could be spent on other things because I'd play at the same level, and with the same happiness.

Secondly, as a matter of principle I avoid BTY these days because of their price rigging, which I find unethical.  I don't expect everyone to agree or do the same, and it doesn't eat me up or make me want to protest outside their head office or anything, but there you go.

IMO, most of Butterfly's attraction is just a carefully designed and coordinated aura that they've built up over the years.  Of course their stuff is well made and performs well, but their pricing used to be much more in-line with the market average (with perhaps a 10% premium on top).  Since their enormous price hike and introduction of territorial restrictions, they just don't represent value for money any more.

Now, I'm not attacking you, or anyone else who chooses to spend their money on Butterfly stuff.  It's a free world (unless you want to buy Butterfly stuff from Japan - not quite so free there I suppose), anyone can spend whatever they want.  Feel free, go crazy.  But I won't agree that Butterfly stuff is more expensive because it's intrinsically better in some way, and I'll generally say so to help counter the brand fascism that has built up around them.  There is a good argument to be made about buying Butterfly to support the sport, due to their sponsorship of junior events and so on.  But don't kid yourself - you don't "get what you pay for" (except in the literal sense of paying money to get a thing) with Butterfly.

As you say "if you want a Viscaria, buy a Viscaria".  Yes, but perhaps ask yourself why you want a Viscaria, and is it a rational decision you're making?  Why won't a really similar blade for far less money do the job?  And if it isn't rational (and not everything is, of course), take ownership of your emotional decision and then understand that other people just don't care about brands, or professionals who use things, or popularity, and buy things based on what they do when you use them.  Because I'd rather save money and take my family out for the day, or save towards our next holiday, or any number of other things.  Money (unlike the wood to build blades) doesn't grow on trees.

Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 9:36am
Baal, are the handles solid and weighty or pretty hollow (the Donic Crest series handles felt very hollow)?

-------------
Trade feedback:

Posted By: tom
Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 9:49am
I strongly agree with Andy's second point.

Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 10:03am
Where to buy OTC now as TT11 is out of stock and I don't want to pay the retail price at megaspin?

-------------

Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 10:11am
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Where to buy OTC now as TT11 is out of stock and I don't want to pay the retail price at megaspin?

I got mine from Dandoy. See if you can get one there as they are having it with promo price now.

-------------

Posted By: AMonteiro
Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 10:12am

Dandoy has it

http://www.dandoy-sports.com/donic-ovtcharov-true-carbon.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.dandoy-sports.com/donic-ovtcharov-true-carbon.html

-------------
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR

Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 10:23am
Back-ordered only. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 10:25am

Back-ordered only. 

tibi.

Posted By: danieldangz
Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 10:27am
Dandoy is also out of stock

Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 10:32am

To me, this is just a waste of cash that could be spent on other things because I'd play at the same level, and with the same happiness.

that the point. I don't feel I play at same level and have same happiness if I use substitute blade

Secondly, as a matter of principle I avoid BTY these days because of their price rigging, which I find unethical.  I don't expect everyone to agree or do the same, and it doesn't eat me up or make me want to protest outside their head office or anything, but there you go.
IMO, most of Butterfly's attraction is just a carefully designed and coordinated aura that they've built up over the years.  Of course their stuff is well made and performs well, but their pricing used to be much more in-line with the market average (with perhaps a 10% premium on top).  Since their enormous price hike and introduction of territorial restrictions, they just don't represent value for money any more.

I can agree that Butterfly prices could be lower but if you won't but there stuff you just punish yourself.

But don't kid yourself - you don't "get what you pay for" (except in the literal sense of paying money to get a thing) with Butterfly.

As you say "if you want a Viscaria, buy a Viscaria".  Yes, but perhaps ask yourself why you want a Viscaria, and is it a rational decision you're making?  Why won't a really similar blade for far less money do the job?

because in my opinion it's not similar. it's ok to buy other brand. I for example like Infinity for example. but not because it similar to some butterfly blade that i think too expensive.

Because I'd rather save money and take my family out for the day, or save towards our next holiday, or any number of other things.  Money (unlike the wood to build blades) doesn't grow on trees.

if you not EJ and don't buy new blade every week then no reason to save few bucks on blade that you will use for many years.

Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 11:00am
Originally posted by danieldangz danieldangz wrote:

So it is a popular and hot selling item at the moment. Lucky I got mine before Olympics so I can watch Dima play while holding it ! Clap

If you can't find it anywhere then Dandoy is good to let you place your order with discount pricing and wait for restock. Other sellers may get stock but sold out again before you know it. So better get in line for it now. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 11:15am
Well, almost all US online stores have it. Just need to pay a little more. I can order one from Megaspin and have it next Monday. 

By the way, megaspin has a summer sale with code summer16 for 5% off. That is probably the best price in US at the moment. Ammerican table tennis has an assembled paddle with blue P turbo rubbers for $155. Not bad either.

-------------

Posted By: powerhouse
Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 11:18am
What's the head size of the Donic True Carbon blade please.

-------------
Blade: Butterfly Viscaria

FH: Dignics 09c

BH: Dignics 05

Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 11:49am
Funny how people are willing to continually post an opinion about a blade they haven't used.

Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 12:12pm

Originally posted by danieldangz danieldangz wrote:

So it is a popular and hot selling item at the moment. Lucky I got mine before Olympics so I can watch Dima play while holding it ! Clap

If you can't find it anywhere then Dandoy is good to let you place your order with discount pricing and wait for restock. Other sellers may get stock but sold out again before you know it. So better get in line for it now. 

if there's one guy I wouldn't trust to be using what it seems he's using then that has to be ovtcharov.
a few months back he was using tape to cover the side of the blade!
he's also changed the handle of his blade many times, more than any other pro player I can think of.

Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Funny how people are willing to continually post an opinion about a blade they haven't used.

Some people are almost like cult members when it comes to Butterfly stuff.  

Posted By: amateur
Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 5:39pm
Here's Ovtcharov pretending to show his racket:
http://www.spiegel.de/sport/sonst/olympia-2016-in-rio-athleten-stellen-ihre-sportgeraete-vor-a-1105160.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.spiegel.de/sport/sonst/olympia-2016-in-rio-athleten-stellen-ihre-sportgeraete-vor-a-1105160.html
(Scroll down for the video.)

He says his blade is different from the commercial model (larger, more top-heavy), and that he changes it every 3 months.

Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by powerhouse powerhouse wrote:

What's the head size of the Donic True Carbon blade please.

The famous 150 x 157mm. Can't say it is by coincidence. 

-------------

Date Posted: 08/05/2016 at 9:39pm

Well, almost all US online stores have it. Just need to pay a little more. I can order one from Megaspin and have it next Monday. 

By the way, megaspin has a summer sale with code summer16 for 5% off. That is probably the best price in US at the moment. Ammerican table tennis has an assembled paddle with blue P turbo rubbers for $155. Not bad either.

That price is not bad for anyone living in USA. I paid about US$128 for mine from Dandoy assembled with Acuda Blue P1 Turbo both sides. Great matching rubbers with this blade. Very fast when you need it and equally fine to control where it land and keeping the ball on the table. Exactly what Americantabletennis is saying about this combo. 

-------------

Posted By: asifgunz
Date Posted: 08/26/2016 at 9:28pm
atta boy donic!
stick it to the moth lovers!

-------------

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629

Date Posted: 08/28/2016 at 10:40pm
I am still using my DTC after a decade using the Viscaia.

Still a great blade. Still exactly what I was looking for when I decided I wanted a Viscaria with a ST handle.

I have no hesitation in recommending this blade.

I have no idea if Dima uses it. It doesn't really matter. It is a very good blade. Essentially identical to Btfly ALC blades with a nice handle in a different shape that I like better.   

It is the only non-Btfly ALC blade I've tried that is every bit as good as Btfly. I've tried most of the imitators (but not Double Day, which I hear are good too).

Date Posted: 08/29/2016 at 12:01pm
could anybody confirm the wood used for the top layer.  thanks.

Posted By: Wolf
Date Posted: 08/29/2016 at 12:20pm
The top layer is a koto

-------------
Donic Crest Off
FH-Donic Acuda S2 Max
BH-Tibhar ELP 1.9

Donic Crest AR+
FH-Joola Maxxxp 2.0
BH-Joola Rhyzm Tech 2.0

Date Posted: 08/29/2016 at 12:53pm
thanks Wolf,  BTW the Joola Maxxxp I found more suitable for the BH on the Crest AR+.

Posted By: edgy
Date Posted: 10/12/2016 at 8:41am
Bump. 

Has anyone figured out what the layers of this blade are yet? Also, does anyone know how it would compare to the Innerforce ALC? 

Date Posted: 10/12/2016 at 10:15am
ALC layers are close to the surface like a Viscaria, so quite different from  Innerforce.

slevin has a couple also and commented somewhere on the essentially Viscaria-like playing feel of the blade, other than shape of handle.

Posted By: Magic_M
Date Posted: 10/12/2016 at 1:47pm
Here you can compare the composition of Viscaria, ZJ ALC and Ovtcharov True Carbon

For me it looks as if Ovtcharov True Carbon has the thinnest outer veneer of these three blades.

If you compare the first (outer) and third veneer of these blades:
- OTC = thicker third veneer and thin outer veneer
- ZJ ALC = thicker outer veneer and (little bit) thinner third veneer
- Viscaria = first and third veneer with same thickness

I don`t know, if this is always a fact, but at least at my blades.
The core seems to be kiri in each of these blades, but the OTC-core looks lighter.

Generally OTC is thinner (5,5 mm) than ZJ ALC and Viscaria (both = 5,7-5,8 mm).
Therefore OTC is a notch slower than the other two blades and the feeling is a notch softer.

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51774&title=feedback-magic-m" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 10/12/2016 at 4:01pm
For whoever purchased a FL OTC can you post some pictures of the handle? Not that many good pictures of FL handle are online. 

Would love to see a side by side picture compared to a FL TB ALC or Viscaria. Much Thanks.

-------------
Main:

Chopper:

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 10/12/2016 at 4:44pm

For whoever purchased a FL OTC can you post some pictures of the handle? Not that many good pictures of FL handle are online. 

Would love to see a side by side picture compared to a FL TB ALC or Viscaria. Much Thanks.

My thoughts exactly - thanks.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Date Posted: 10/12/2016 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

My thoughts exactly - thanks.

Also ST handle vs ST TB ALC/other popular BTY and non-BTY blades.

-------------
Main:

Chopper:

Posted By: Magic_M
Date Posted: 10/12/2016 at 5:39pm
ST-handle-comparison: Spirit, ZJ ALC, OTC

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51774&title=feedback-magic-m" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 10/13/2016 at 2:51am
Found pictures of TC FL in a For Sale thread by slevin. Funny the picture of Dima was replaced by Zhou Yu in the handle?! 

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=76922&title=reduced-donic-ovtcharov-true-carbon-scaly-koto

-------------

Date Posted: 10/13/2016 at 8:11am
Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

Generally OTC is thinner (5,5 mm) than ZJ ALC and Viscaria (both = 5,7-5,8 mm). Therefore OTC is a notch slower than the other two blades and the feeling is a notch softer.

I have 3 OTC that are 5.5mm and one that is 5.75mm. The 5.75mm one is faster and more powerful than the Viscaria.

-------------
Trade feedback:

Date Posted: 10/13/2016 at 8:39am
I also have two that vary in thickness. The variability concerns me. But my thick one is awesome and fast. If somebody has a thick one with ST handle and wants to trade for thinner one, let me know.

Date Posted: 10/13/2016 at 9:19am
because I failed to track down a FLared at 90+ , i bought a anatomic 90+ grams.
if anyone has a Flared near 91g and would like to trade (i can add esn rubber from my end, or cash)

-------------

Posted By: mhnh007
Date Posted: 10/13/2016 at 11:07am
I will wait until they have it locally to see it for myself, but from M_Magic's pictures above of the composition of Viscaria, ZJ ALC and Ovtcharov True Carbon, I would have to say the Bty Blades look more appealing.  As for the ST handle, it looks like the OTC has a wider handle (from above Pics), and may be better for those with a large hand, or those who dislike the SQ handle from Bty.

Date Posted: 11/08/2016 at 11:11am
finally got my hands on an OTC.  Nittaku  Fastarc P-1 FH , MAXX-P BH.  The blade has good feel but setup is 176g = blade is probably on the light (slow) side.  P-1 feels ok but MAXX-P feels slow on flat hits, ok for counter loop.  Any suggestions for another BH rubber?

Date Posted: 11/08/2016 at 11:42am
Loving omega iv pro on the bh.
This sheet is some 2 years old. Partly faded but damn it still grips nicely. Speed is perfect. Its much faster than my omega v pro.

Im looking for a flared or anatomic 91g+ if anyone is selling please contact me.

-------------

Date Posted: 11/08/2016 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

Loving omega iv pro on the bh.
This sheet is some 2 years old. Partly faded but damn it still grips nicely. Speed is perfect. Its much faster than my omega v pro.

Im looking for a flared or anatomic 91g+ if anyone is selling please contact me.

thanks, will check if I still have O4P on a blade - remember it was quite bouncy

Posted By: TT newbie
Date Posted: 11/08/2016 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

finally got my hands on an OTC.  Nittaku  Fastarc P-1 FH , MAXX-P BH.  The blade has good feel but setup is 176g = blade is probably on the light (slow) side.  P-1 feels ok but MAXX-P feels slow on flat hits, ok for counter loop.  Any suggestions for another BH rubber?

I don´t know if it fits well with OTC, but the best BH rubber I´ve tried was Tenergy 64.

Date Posted: 11/08/2016 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

I don´t know if it fits well with OTC, but the best BH rubber I´ve tried was Tenergy 64.
thanks, probably goes well but I decided against using T64 because it plays all by itself  (hiding my stroke shortcomings)

Date Posted: 12/11/2016 at 8:50pm
The True Carbon is currently on weekly special at TT11 for $66. Flared handle in stock. Snap them up before they disappear again!

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/donic-ovtcharov-true-carbon

Posted By: notgooord
Date Posted: 12/12/2016 at 9:00am
Originally posted by edgy edgy wrote:

The True Carbon is currently on weekly special at TT11 for $66. Flared handle in stock. Snap them up before they disappear again!

http://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/donic-ovtcharov-true-carbon

I see 74eur
+shipping

Date Posted: 12/12/2016 at 9:12am
I take it you are in Europe? Because 74 eur is the price including VAT. Without VAT, which we don't have to pay in the US, is 62.44 eur (or about $66USD). 

Posted By: notgooord
Date Posted: 12/12/2016 at 12:17pm
Buy something else, something different.
Otc is donic copy of viscaria.
You are an ej.
You have 5 viscarias.

Date Posted: 12/12/2016 at 12:25pm

The blade has good feel but setup is 176g = blade is probably on the light (slow) side.

Sounds like you selected a very light blade weight? You should try get a heavier one. It is not slow.

-------------
Trade feedback:

Date Posted: 12/12/2016 at 12:32pm

The blade has good feel but setup is 176g = blade is probably on the light (slow) side.

Sounds like you selected a very light blade weight? You should try get a heavier one. It is not slow.

my thoughts exactly, got another one 88g.  the setup is now a bit head heavy but more power.  will see how it works in games.

Posted By: WeebleWobble
Date Posted: 12/12/2016 at 12:39pm
Been using this for a few weeks with MXP and El-S rubbers.  Don't have too much to compare it to but it's definitely faster than anything I've used (Stiga Maplewood V and Rossi Emotion).  Can finally smash and play far from the table.  The sweet spot feels small on smashing though.  Not sure if this is normal for a high end blade.  I didn't really notice this with my other blades but didn't get to smash often with them.  But when you hit the ball on the sweet spot it can really fly.

Date Posted: 12/12/2016 at 12:50pm
I have 3 DOTC blades and actually found that it has quite a big sweet spot - at least as big as that of the TB-ALC / Viscaria.

-------------
Trade feedback:

Date Posted: 12/12/2016 at 12:52pm
definitely a good balanced off (or off-) blade

Date Posted: 12/12/2016 at 2:20pm
One thing that surprises me quite a bit is how much faster my heavy DTC is.  (By heavy, I mean about 192 grams with two sheets of MX-P on it).  Substantially faster than a lot of Viscaria blades, and in the OFF+ range as I understand it.  The light one (quite a bit lighter, about 185 grams with the rubber) is noticeably slower,  in the OFF range.  But I would never call it an OFF- blade!!!!! 

Date Posted: 12/12/2016 at 3:00pm
Baal: I think that the DOTC has at least a bit more carbon in its fiber than BTY's ALC fiber. I feel that on harder hits, DOTC is faster than BTY ALC blades of same weights even if it is a bit thinner.

I have 3 DOTC blades at the moment. I feel that DOTC is 90% BTY ALC blade feel and 10% JRE feel: it is a bit softer than my BTY ALC blades (thus spinner on slow loops & in serves) but slightly faster and slightly less dwelly / spinny on powerloops (implying more carbon in its fiber).

-------------
Trade feedback:

Date Posted: 12/12/2016 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

One thing that surprises me quite a bit is how much faster my heavy DTC is.  (By heavy, I mean about 192 grams with two sheets of MX-P on it).  Substantially faster than a lot of Viscaria blades, and in the OFF+ range as I understand it.  The light one (quite a bit lighter, about 185 grams with the rubber) is noticeably slower,  in the OFF range.  But I would never call it an OFF- blade!!!!! 
no argument here, my setups are 176g and the second around 185 (can't remember exactly) so it is understandable that I would describe them as off- to off.

Date Posted: 12/12/2016 at 4:25pm

Baal: I think that the DOTC has at least a bit more carbon in its fiber than BTY's ALC fiber. I feel that on harder hits, DOTC is faster than BTY ALC blades of same weights even if it is a bit thinner.

I have 3 DOTC blades at the moment. I feel that DOTC is 90% BTY ALC blade feel and 10% JRE feel: it is a bit softer than my BTY ALC blades (thus spinner on slow loops & in serves) but slightly faster and slightly less dwelly / spinny on powerloops (implying more carbon in its fiber).

You can feel that the carbon layer is thicker?  Really?  You can feel that?  It is true that my various ALC blades feel non-identical (even the ones of the same model), but I certainly can't attribute it to that -- especially when we are talking about things made out of wood, especially blades as similar as these. 

I don't have x-ray vision either, or spidey sense, and I don't use The Force, and I can't make myself invisible. 

Actually, from a design perspective, a blade that had more arylate in it would probably have even less high frequency vibration and might therefore have more of a feeling of dwell.  (And again, the thing that feels like dwell is not actually that, and may or many not be related to it).

I don't buy into a lot of EJ-speak, frankly.   

If you like ALC blades, whether or not you like this one is going to come down to getting one in a weight you like, and if you like the shape of the handle.  That's it.  And the price is good.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net