Print Page | Close Window

Aurus prime and Aurus Select out in the summer?

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=79064
Printed Date: 04/28/2024 at 5:09pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Aurus prime and Aurus Select out in the summer?
Posted By: mog1111
Subject: Aurus prime and Aurus Select out in the summer?
Date Posted: 05/11/2017 at 11:03am
wonder what these will be like?

-------------
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler

Replies:
Posted By: AndySmith
Date Posted: 05/11/2017 at 11:34am
They will have interesting sponge colours.

http://www.tt-spin.de/tibhar-aurus-prime-und-aurus-select/" rel="nofollow - http://www.tt-spin.de/tibhar-aurus-prime-und-aurus-select/

Usually I would expect the ESN partners to follow each other to some degree.  So Rasanter was the first of a new "thing", then Bluestorm will be a slight variation on that theme, and Aurus Prime/Select is again another variation.  The link above does say that the new Auruses (Aurai?) will be "significantly cheaper" than the Rasanters though.

The translation implies that Select will have a softer topsheet and 45 degree sponge, and the Prime has a harder topsheet on 47.5.  So Select might be the more natural replacement for something like Rasant Grip.  Maybe.

Also interesting is that they list thicknesses of 1.7, 1.9, 2.1 and MAX, whereas Andro went with 1.7, 1.9, Ultramax (with no 2.1 option).

-------------
This was a great signature until I realised it was overrated.

Posted By: BMonkey
Date Posted: 06/21/2017 at 10:56am
Anyone gotten to try either of these yet? I know they're supposed to come out july 10th, but I've heard test sheets are already floating around... I like that purple sponge! Embarrassed

Date Posted: 07/07/2017 at 11:20am
I've been lucky enough to receive test sheets of Aurus Prime and Select from Fabian1890.  Many thanks to him!

Cut them for a ITC Premier XF.

Aurus Prime - Black - 2.3mm - 170mm x 169mm - Uncut weight 67.01g - Cut 47.89g
Aurus Select - Black - 2.3mm - 169mm x 168mm - Uncut weight 65.25g - Cut 46.53g

There are loads of pictures around for these (several of these test sheets with no logos and the small notch are circulating) so I won't go pic happy just yet.  I'll be getting some training sessions organised next week for these.  If anyone in the UK or europe wants to give them a try then please get in touch and I'll forward them on once I've done enough testing.

Physically, they look very much ESN.  The Select has a slight bit of curl at the corners, whereas the Prime lays totally flat.  They don't have the old MX-P/M1 booster smell, but smell just like Rasanter (so if they are factory boosted, it's odourless or perhaps just a vague rubbery smell).

Prime's topsheet feels very stiff.  If Rasanter R47 is the obvious comparison then Prime's topsheet feels stiffer and less flexible, while still feeling super grippy to the touch.  I thought R47's topsheet was hard enough as it is, so Prime makes me feel a little frightened in my sensitive regions.  The sponge looks pretty much the same as R47's, colour excepted of course.

Select's topsheet is different to Prime's.  The pips look wider spaced (and maybe a little taller?), and the feel under the finger is a bit softer.  However, it isn't the Rasanter V topsheet - V remains softer than Select, so select falls somewhere in between R and V here.  The sponge has the same kind of porosity as Prime but is softer (45 v Prime's 47.5).  I like where Select is positioned here in comparison with the Rasanters (and looks more easy-going than Prime), but I'll have to see how training goes.

-------------

Posted By: DreiZ
Date Posted: 07/07/2017 at 11:42am
I sent an email to TT11 about when they are going to stock Aurus Prime/Select and they replied that they might not even get it. Did anyone else email them about it? I'm surprised... or maybe they haven't received a confirmation when they will stock it so they didn't want to give the wrong info.

-------------
Main:
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm

Chopper:
Stratus Power Defense 85g
FH: Hybrid K3 max
BH: Grass D.TecS 0.9mm

USATT: 1725

Date Posted: 07/07/2017 at 11:51am
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

I sent an email to TT11 about when they are going to stock Aurus Prime/Select and they replied that they might not even get it. Did anyone else email them about it? I'm surprised... or maybe they haven't received a confirmation when they will stock it so they didn't want to give the wrong info.

They'll probably stock them.  They stock almost everything!  I'd be amazed if they didn't.

-------------

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 07/07/2017 at 9:47pm
Andy, based on what you say, I will decide whether this is worth trying or whether I should stick with 2.0mm Rasanter which has really impressed me so far.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Date Posted: 07/08/2017 at 2:01pm
By your measurements it seems Aurus Prime is very close to tenergy 05 weight (if not the same)... which is good news for me since MXP/MXS is too heavy for my liking. Cant wait to try it.

-------------
Main:

Chopper:

Posted By: Mickael
Date Posted: 07/12/2017 at 8:20am
WHEN WOULD IT BE AVAILABLE?

-------------
Butterfly Fransizka ZLC FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Tenergy 05 1.9 BH

Date Posted: 07/12/2017 at 9:55am
I've had two 3-hour sessions with Prime and Select now.  For both sessions I had Prime and Select on my current ITC Premier XF, and for comparison I had R47 and R42 on my (recently acquired) backup XF.  I plan on having a few more sessions next week and then editing this post with more information.

Prime.  It isn't the fastest rubber I've ever used, but it's up there.  The basic speed is high and the low/medium gearing is linear.  Not too bouncy.  I felt it had a big late catapult.  Arc was medium-low and stable.  Spin production felt a bit odd to me, especially in comparison with the R47.  It felt insenitive to spin in the passive game, then it span well on medium effort shots, and then it seemed hard to get big spin out of it on large strokes.  On big strokes it was just so fast - probably too much for my level in all honesty.  This all combined together to give a reasonably good nature in the short game, very good performance when opening up, but the 5th ball attack situation was interesting.  It was incredible for powerful drives, counters, smashes - they just don't come back.  But a hard loop seemed much less dangerous in comparison with R47 (in terms of spin), and the arc was just low enough to increase my error rate in tight situations.  It's a great rubber when dominating, but demanding when under pressure.  Or at least it was for me - more mobile and technically better players would probably lap it up.

As a descriptive example of what this meant for me personally, the open game phase of training is worth talking about.  Against a good standard LP chopper/pick hitter (roughly my level, probably a bit above me in recent months) I had far less trouble than I would usually.  3-0 win, easy.  Lifting backspin was incredibly easy, putting high balls away was epic (and they didn't come back - he's a good retriever too), and the short game was solid enough that he didn't get any easy opportunities either.  However, against a two-winged attacker (bit below my level) I really struggled and lost 3-1.  Once the pace of the game increased and it became harder for me to be the first to attack (in comparison with the defender), I found myself in situations where Prime's high speed and low arc reduced my options and the general safety of my play.  When in position, it was winners all night long.  When out of position, much harder times.  In this respect it reminds me a lot of MX-S, but Prime's top-end catapult is the big difference.

All-in-all:

Speed - fast.
Hardness - medium-hard
Throw - medium/low.
Catapult - very linear until the top gears, and then big catapult.
Spin - good, not outstanding.
Short game - very good considering the speed.
Spin sensitivity - low.
Suits - power driver / counter attacker who values precision, speed and sharp counters.
Doesn't suit - looper who relies on high arc and early catapult, allround player looking for a medium-pace rubber.

Select was definitely more my kind of thing.  Both topsheet and sponge are softer, arc is higher, spin is good and it has a very smooth feel during topspin/topspin rallies.  It's a lot less linear and passive play against strong spin was more of a handful, but it kept the efficient open-ups of Prime while being easier to use in active play when pushed out of position.  It still has a good top speed though - flat hits and put-aways are excellent.

All-in-all:

Speed - medium fast.
Hardness - medium.
Throw - medium.
Catapult - good catapult from the middle gears and up.
Spin - good.
Short game - OK, bit twitchy due to catapult.
Spin sensitivity - medium.
Suits - general two-winged loopers who don't hit/counter with extreme power.
Doesn't best suit - huge lumberjacks, blockers.

Closing:

In both cases, I wonder if thinner sponges would help.  My first instinct is that R47 is a better looping rubber than Prime, but Prime has a clear advantage when counterlooping or counterhitting.  Select feels much looser, more flexible generally than Prime, while being faster and more threatening than something like R42 or V42.  Select falls into that "useful medium" rubber zone previously occupied by things like Vega Japan, Bluefire JP02 (or even the original Aurus Soft).  I'll probably pick up a sheet of Select in 2.0mm when they hit the general market.  

I'm always a bit skeptical with the way that the various brands position their new rubbers.  Prime and Select are obviously using variations from the current ESN cookbook, so is it fair to call them "Aurus", or is it misleading?  The original Aurus range had a particularly tight feel to its topsheet, and Prime is close enough in how it plays to be an updated version of the original (bit lower throw, more linear, similar kind of spin levels, better feel of coupling with plastic balls).  Select stretches that comparison somewhat if we compare with Aurus Soft, but I really like Select regardless.

-------------

Posted By: yogi_bear
Date Posted: 07/12/2017 at 10:42am
do the 2 rubbers have the same topsheet with the original aurus years ago and then just paired with a new sponge?

-------------
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Date Posted: 07/12/2017 at 10:55am
How would you compare hardness, catapult, and overall feel of Prime to ELS? And which one would you prefer?

-------------
Main:

Chopper:

Date Posted: 07/12/2017 at 12:08pm

How would you compare hardness, catapult, and overall feel of Prime to ELS? And which one would you prefer?

This is an interesting comparison!  EL-S has pretty much the same kind of sponge, softer topsheet, is a bit slower in general and has a bit less of the top-end catapult that Prime has.  The main thing I didn't like about EL-S was how it seemed to max out on big hits with respect to arc and spin.  Prime doesn't have this issue for me because its arc and spin stay very linear and predictable throughout, but you could say that it stays predictably low if you were a glass-half-empty kind of person.  

That said, I think Prime is harder to use in comparison with EL-S.  EL-S has better ball grab at low speeds and although it seems to collapse on hard hits, it better supports late pick-up shots and medium-effort slow loops.

If you have great footwork, are mostly in a good position, and want to win with power and precision then Prime will make those shots count more than EL-S.  They just won't come back as often.  Prime gives some quite shocking results from early counterhits or mid-distance power drives.  I had some surprised looks from the other side of the table (mainly because that's not usually a good aspect of my game).  But if you're slow around the court and play a "softer" game then EL-S helps out a lot more.  R47 is somewhere in the middle, but for whatever reason I find R47's short game to be quite tough to get to grips with in comparison to both.  Probably the hard topsheet combined with the increased spin sensitivity.

-------------

Posted By: onehander
Date Posted: 07/12/2017 at 12:24pm
Hi Andy,

would you recommend Prime or Select for someone who really likes Tibhar Hybrid K1+ and OVA?
A step up or a complete departure?

And I vaguely remember you trying the new DHS Goldarc 5.  Any similarities to these latest ESN brethren?

Thanks!

Date Posted: 07/12/2017 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

This is an interesting comparison!  EL-S has pretty much the same kind of sponge, softer topsheet, is a bit slower in general and has a bit less of the top-end catapult that Prime has.  The main thing I didn't like about EL-S was how it seemed to max out on big hits with respect to arc and spin.  Prime doesn't have this issue for me because its arc and spin stay very linear and predictable throughout, but you could say that it stays predictably low if you were a glass-half-empty kind of person.  

That said, I think Prime is harder to use in comparison with EL-S.  EL-S has better ball grab at low speeds and although it seems to collapse on hard hits, it better supports late pick-up shots and medium-effort slow loops.

If you have great footwork, are mostly in a good position, and want to win with power and precision then Prime will make those shots count more than EL-S.  They just won't come back as often.  Prime gives some quite shocking results from early counterhits or mid-distance power drives.  I had some surprised looks from the other side of the table (mainly because that's not usually a good aspect of my game).  But if you're slow around the court and play a "softer" game then EL-S helps out a lot more.  R47 is somewhere in the middle, but for whatever reason I find R47's short game to be quite tough to get to grips with in comparison to both.  Probably the hard topsheet combined with the increased spin sensitivity.

thanks for the detailed reply Andy,

i briefly tried Z1 and Z2 counterparts and felt that at passive slow shots there was a feeling of too much "catapult" or "bounce" i would say (then again it was on a faster blade). It was a strange feeling. I was worried Prime would have a similar property. 

For me, ELS plays perfectly over (flips, pushes) and close to the table (drives, hits, blocks, lifting underspin) but like you said away from the table I feel as i reach its limits pretty quickly. I end up exerting alot of force just to loop back mid distance shots with good spin. 

Im guessing, at my level i spend about 75% of rallies close to the table when i play similar rated players, but when i start playing players that are higher ranked and more offensive with their game (1800+) rallies tend to happen more at mid distance from the table. Hmmm.... 

TT11 needs to stock this soon, so I can try it myself, noone at my club has got their hands on it yet.

-------------
Main:

Chopper:

Date Posted: 07/12/2017 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

do the 2 rubbers have the same topsheet with the original aurus years ago and then just paired with a new sponge?

No, definitely not.   The topsheets are totally different.  Maybe the same design philosophy has been applied though, particularly with Prime.

Originally posted by onehander onehander wrote:

Hi Andy,

would you recommend Prime or Select for someone who really likes Tibhar Hybrid K1+ and OVA?
A step up or a complete departure?

And I vaguely remember you trying the new DHS Goldarc 5.  Any similarities to these latest ESN brethren?

Thanks!

Neither of the Aurai (yeah...) perform particularly well when brush looping.  You just get a slow, fairly harmless ball.  I still use K1+, and loved OVA, but Prime and Select are aiming for a different kind of experience - the excel at power driving, if you can picture that.

Of the new non-tacky ESN releases I've tried, I've found the Rasanter R topsheet has been the best for brush loops so far.  But even that wasn't staggeringly good.  We might have to wait for Omega VII Asia.

i briefly tried Z1 and Z2 counterparts and felt that at passive slow shots there was a feeling of too much "catapult" or "bounce" i would say (then again it was on a faster blade). It was a strange feeling. I was worried Prime would have a similar property. 

I wonder if this is because the sponges are that bit thicker than we're used to?  I certainly feel that Select would be better for me in a more "normal" thickness.

-------------

Posted By: rocketman222
Date Posted: 07/12/2017 at 5:49pm
Andy do you also feel that the new thick sponge ESN releases, all suffer from not propagating enough feedback to the hand, as in you have trouble with feeling the contact point?

-------------
http://www.bladesbycharlie.com/models/hinokighost" rel="nofollow - BBC Hinoki Ghost
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74126&title=feedback-rocketman222" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 07/12/2017 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

Andy do you also feel that the new thick sponge ESN releases, all suffer from not propagating enough feedback to the hand, as in you have trouble with feeling the contact point?

It's been said that they can feel...spongy.  I know that's probably an obvious point ("this ice cube is a bit chilly", "this president trump is a bit corrupty" and so on), but the feel does seem to be a bit muted in comparison with max sponges that I'm more familiar with.  It probably goes a bit beyond what I consider normal, which I don't mind if it serves a purpose.  I do like the ubermegamax on the R47 on the FH, for example.  But it seems to bother me more on the Prime and Select for some reason.  Perhaps I just don't feel that it's giving me enough in return.

I think you have to be hitting hard all the time to see the performance difference with such a thick sponge.  When you play a bit softer then you just get more of a disconnected, squishy feel.  If you rarely play at the top-end extremes, it's worth asking yourself why you would bother with even thicker sponges.  If you're high level (or just a turbo-nutter who plays while high on red bull and meth) then the trade off would probably make more sense.

-------------

Posted By: tabletennis11
Date Posted: 07/13/2017 at 7:47am
New Aurus rubbers will arrive to our stock probably in next week. We also have made a blind test review for these rubbers and we will publish that too in our blog. 
We will notify you here when new Aurus rubbers are available for sale on Tabletennis11.com.

TT11 team

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6QlKrAbsMQ?utm_source=mytt-signature" rel="nofollow - Click Here to see TableTennis11 CEO Sergei Petrov's Introductory Interview - Tabletennis11.com

Posted By: Hans Regenkurt
Date Posted: 07/17/2017 at 4:36pm
Could someone you tell me in a few words whether the Select is any different to the Bluestorm Z2? I am looking for a relatively cheap backhand rubber but if it is anything like the Z2, I will have none of it.

Posted By: slevin
Date Posted: 07/17/2017 at 4:46pm
Hans, yes it is:
  1. it does not have that soft topsheet that Z2 has (along with the sparse, tall pips)
  2. sponge is softer than that of Z2 (45 vs 47 deg)

-------------
Trade feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787

Posted By: Hans Regenkurt
Date Posted: 07/18/2017 at 12:59am
Thank you Slevin.

Date Posted: 07/18/2017 at 5:40am
I've put a few more details in the post above about Prime and Select.  Prime is aimed at a different kind of player than me, but it has a lot of solid properties for certain people.  Select is more general purpose and I really liked it as a BH rubber.  I'll definitely be picking up a sheet in a thinner sponge (probably 1.9mm) in the near future.  It has a bit more power than my current V42/R42 without sacrificing too much ease-of-use.  There aren't a lot of new 45 degree ESN rubbers kicking around yet (I'm still looking at Nittaku Factive though) so it seems to fill something of a void for now.

If anyone would like me to send the test sheets on to them, please send a PM.

-------------

Posted By: ahsq
Date Posted: 07/19/2017 at 11:26am
what would be the comparisons to a MX-P max thick for the PRIME and SELECT please?

-------------
FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

Date Posted: 07/20/2017 at 9:50am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKfoif8dzug

For my technique, the arc seemed clearly higher on both Auruses than on R47, though my R47 was in 2.0mm and the Auruses were on a Korbel vs my regular KJH.  I will may try the Ultramax on my other blade for a comparison later today but I will move the Auruses to a KJH to be more direct.  The higher arc drew more errors in practice when I tried to loop away from people.

I definitely think this is a high arcing rubber.   But will try to eliminate blade differences for a more objective comparison.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 07/20/2017 at 10:08am
Our blind-test review of new Aurus rubbers is published here:  http://goo.gl/udKPPf" rel="nofollow - https://goo.gl/udKPPf

Also starting from today the new Aurus rubbers are available for sale on Tabletennis11.com, but we suggest to wait until Monday with your orders because then we are going to launch a campaign that gives you a free Tibhar towel if you buy at least 1 new Aurus rubber. We will notify you here when the campaign is live.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6QlKrAbsMQ?utm_source=mytt-signature" rel="nofollow - Click Here to see TableTennis11 CEO Sergei Petrov's Introductory Interview - Tabletennis11.com

Date Posted: 07/20/2017 at 10:47am
Originally posted by tabletennis11 tabletennis11 wrote:

Our blind-test review of new Aurus rubbers is published here:  http://goo.gl/udKPPf" rel="nofollow - https://goo.gl/udKPPf

Also starting from today the new Aurus rubbers are available for sale on Tabletennis11.com, but we suggest to wait until Monday with your orders because then we are going to launch a campaign that gives you a free Tibhar towel if you buy at least 1 new Aurus rubber. We will notify you here when the campaign is live.

Thumbs Up

-------------
Main:

Chopper:

Date Posted: 07/20/2017 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by tabletennis11 tabletennis11 wrote:

Our blind-test review of new Aurus rubbers is published here: <span style="color: rgb68, 68, 68; font-family: Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;"> http://goo.gl/udKPPf" rel="nofollow - https://goo.gl/udKPPf </span>
<span style="color: rgb68, 68, 68; font-family: Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">
</span>
<span style="color: rgb68, 68, 68; font-family: Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px;">Also starting from today the new Aurus rubbers are available for sale on Tabletennis11.com, but we suggest to wait until Monday with your orders because then we are going to launch a campaign that gives you a free Tibhar towel if you buy at least 1 new Aurus rubber. We will notify you here when the campaign is live.</span>

These square more with my experiences on the ball arc and other comparisons vs R47. Since I am not sure whether I can or should play with it but I will give if a try. I found it far more forgiving than Rasanter when late to the ball as long as you didn't try to do too much.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: ahsq
Date Posted: 07/20/2017 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

For my technique, the arc seemed clearly higher on both Auruses than on R47, though my R47 was in 2.0mm and the Auruses were on a Korbel vs my regular KJH.  I will may try the Ultramax on my other blade for a comparison later today but I will move the Auruses to a KJH to be more direct.  The higher arc drew more errors in practice when I tried to loop away from people.

I definitely think this is a high arcing rubber.   But will try to eliminate blade differences for a more objective comparison.

NextLevel, what is your USTTA score?

-------------
FS:
Xiom Vega Pro ST 85 grams $80 shipped
Donic Waldner Senso Carbo JO shaped ST $40 shipped

Date Posted: 07/20/2017 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by ahsq ahsq wrote:

NextLevel, what is your USTTA score?

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 07/20/2017 at 2:52pm
BTW, I really think many people who are not happy with EL-S should try Select.  Mileage would vary but that is where I would go first before trying Prime were I an EL-S user.  Prime is a great place but requires a different mindset.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 07/20/2017 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by ahsq ahsq wrote:

what would be the comparisons to a MX-P max thick for the PRIME and SELECT please?

Im also interested in comparison of max MXP to max Prime?

Ive used MXP in max before and it was a great rubber all around but too heavy when cut max both sides for my liking. 

-------------
Main:

Chopper:

Posted By: rocketman222
Date Posted: 07/20/2017 at 9:28pm

BTW, I really think many people who are not happy with EL-S should try Select.  Mileage would vary but that is where I would go first before trying Prime were I an EL-S user.  Prime is a great place but requires a different mindset.

NL, After my r47 misadventure, is the select any easier to play with, on the lines of mxp or victas v15 extra

-------------
http://www.bladesbycharlie.com/models/hinokighost" rel="nofollow - BBC Hinoki Ghost
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74126&title=feedback-rocketman222" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 07/20/2017 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

NL, After my r47 misadventure, is the select any easier to play with, on the lines of mxp or victas v15 extra

Where Select and Prime easily outdo Rasanter is the arc, which is why I was honestly surprised by Andy's review and happy that what ttplayer89 and tt11/patrick saw confirmed my findings.  I tried to loop late to the ball with Rasanter and the stroke required to get the ball over the net was visibly bigger as verified by my 2250+ testing partner.  He was impressed by Prime.  I have gotten really used to Rasanter and I am a low trajectory looper so I doubt I will change anytime soon.  But yes, Prime and Select are worth a look in terms of easy of play vs. Rasanter if you are late to the ball.  I do suspect that R42 is easier to use than R47, btw.  But there might be a backhand rubber dimension to this.  Prime is really hard to use on the backhand though I think I would adapt over time. But yes, both Prime and Select arc higher than Rasanter, Select just doesn't generate the same levels of spin on the very hard shots.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Posted By: slevin
Date Posted: 07/21/2017 at 10:13am
NL: the R47 you have used: is it ultramax or 2.0?

-------------
Trade feedback:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=50787

Date Posted: 07/21/2017 at 10:19am
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

NL: the R47 you have used: is it ultramax or 2.0?

I have used both Ultramax and 2.0 and I now use 2.0.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 07/21/2017 at 12:14pm
Come on everyone, let me send my test sheets to you!  I need some more votes for "lower than R47" to reinforce my opinions!  Don't let everyone else win!

-------------

Date Posted: 07/21/2017 at 2:40pm

Come on everyone, let me send my test sheets to you!  I need some more votes for "lower than R47" to reinforce my opinions!  Don't let everyone else win!

Slevin voted with you.  So it definitely is possible.

By the way, when I say easier to play with, it doesn't mean that I don't understand aspects of your review.  When a rubber generates tremendous arc by itself on straight drives like Prime does, the break in period for defensive play other than standard blocks is significant if you are used to something very different because the ball comes off at a different angle.  What I am speaking about is what is possible after commitment.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 07/24/2017 at 6:57am
I tried aurus select last night on fh on donic wsc (off- carbon blade).
Agree with comments about arc, personally really liked the arc, for me it felt similar to 05fx but not as bouncy.
I liked el-s but did not like what it did when you hit harder, I also felt it was sometimes difficult to use if a bit out of position.
select felt very easy to use. seemed better than el-s when I hit really hard.
not sure about the spin but arc was there, my point is im not sure if it was spin giving it the arc. it felt like that.
I would recommend it to people who want a less bouncy tenergy 05fx, I did not have the 05fx return of serve problems I normally have.
for me it is definitely an improvement on el-s
not as good in short game and serve return but I found it better for driving and looping, somehow a bit easier to use.

I like it enough to try it and im going to get my son to try it too.

been using h3n recently and I found it easy to block with which I thought would be harder than with h3n.
I used in it mega max but would probably try it thinner especially on bh

This definitely suited the blade which is controllable but fairly stiff, it might feel mushy on softer blades.

-------------
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon

Date Posted: 07/24/2017 at 7:09pm
Bought a sheet of R47 Rasanter and Aurus Prime, both max and in black. Put them back to back on a Butterfly Viscaria using Nittaku Finezip; 2 layers on the sponge, 1 layer on the wood.

First off, both were pretty similar so all that follows is nitpicking.... I found Rasanter to be a little softer than Aurus Prime more suited to all round offense. Aurus Prime seemed to have a little more kick and responded better when trying to spin the ball hard, like you could go for more and get rewarded by the rubber for it. I didn't think either rubber responded well to forehand power looping. They liked powerful spins (especially Aurus Prime) and if you got a little too open when driving forward, the ball would go flying. Both were ok to block with. Not as easy as a T05 because they are faster, but not as annoying as say, an Evolution MX-P.

Will be giving Aurus Prime an extended try out on my backhand to see how playable it is compared to my normal T05.

Date Posted: 07/24/2017 at 11:37pm
The rubbers shrink over time.

-------------
Cybershape Carbon

Date Posted: 07/25/2017 at 6:48am
Hey everyone,

We've just launched a campaign offer for the new Tibhar Aurus rubbers. See here:  http://goo.gl/ijxsDZ" rel="nofollow - https://goo.gl/ijxsDZ

Also, you can read the blind-test review of new Aurus rubbers in our blog:   http://goo.gl/udKPPf" rel="nofollow - https://goo.gl/udKPPf

-------------

Date Posted: 07/25/2017 at 6:10pm
Just had another couple of hours with select on fh in megamax.
I think this is the easiest rubber I have ever used for looping, it just arcs and lands all the time.
I think its probably not quite as dangerous as tenergy or evolution

its just really easy to use and its pretty easy to drive winners with.

if you have trouble sometimes dealing with heavy spin I think this rubber might assist

-------------
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon

Date Posted: 07/26/2017 at 5:56am

Slevin voted with you.  So it definitely is possible.

By the way, when I say easier to play with, it doesn't mean that I don't understand aspects of your review.  When a rubber generates tremendous arc by itself on straight drives like Prime does, the break in period for defensive play other than standard blocks is significant if you are used to something very different because the ball comes off at a different angle.  What I am speaking about is what is possible after commitment.

I've seen some of this kind of discrepancy on the german forums too.  Some people say it throws higher than R47, some lower.  In my case it probably comes down to the difference in technique and level in comparison to you (and others).  I also have to admit that I'm enjoying R47 so much that anything else probably feels "worse" in some way to me, so it could easily be my own bias.

This year's ESN are all really solid though with good performance, so it's a good time to be alive.  The only players who would be disappointed would be those who want instant catapult, and I would say they should stick to something like MX-P.

-------------

Posted By: adishorul
Date Posted: 07/26/2017 at 7:10am
The opinion about how high the rubber throws the ball may depends on the blade is used for test.

Date Posted: 07/26/2017 at 7:17am
it certainly throws high and easy on donic waldner senso carbon

-------------
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon

Date Posted: 07/26/2017 at 9:51am
Originally posted by adishorul adishorul wrote:

The opinion about how high the rubber throws the ball may depends on the blade is used for test.

It's all relative of course.  I specifically made a point of using R47 and Prime on my two ITC Premier XFs, on the same night, with the same ball.  

-------------

Posted By: BaiMile
Date Posted: 07/27/2017 at 2:09am
Yesterday I recieved Prime and Select. Haven't got blade to put them on (so I haven't tried them), but at first sight sponge looks different than Evo sponge - pores are smaller. Topsheet is very simmilar to Vega Pro top sheet, although I can't say anything about pip structure.

Date Posted: 07/27/2017 at 5:37pm
Tried aurus select again on WSC, nice new sheet.
still very impressed, blocks excellent, short game still decent
seems spinny enough but quite insensitive to incoming spin
this may stop my ejing for a while

-------------
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon

Date Posted: 07/28/2017 at 12:58pm
A Comparison - MX-P, Select, Prime

Date Posted: 07/28/2017 at 6:26pm
a word of warning.
I really liked the select in test of 2.3mm.
I have also tried it in 2.1, it is not as good imo in 2.1mm, not quite the same arc and bounce.
would recommend in fh sticking to the 2.3 ubermegamax as Andy calls it.

I played quite a flat hitter today and it was very difficult to get the arc and spin, more so than with the 2.3mm version

-------------
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon

Date Posted: 07/29/2017 at 2:25pm
played again with ubermegamax 2.3mm select today on fh.
it is quite surprisingly different to the 2.1mm
much better livelier, spinnier and faster
arc much better too, somehow seems to hold the ball better to get really spinny shots/loops off

-------------
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon

Date Posted: 07/30/2017 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by BMonkey BMonkey wrote:

Bought a sheet of R47 Rasanter and Aurus Prime, both max and in black. Put them back to back on a Butterfly Viscaria using Nittaku Finezip; 2 layers on the sponge, 1 layer on the wood.

First off, both were pretty similar so all that follows is nitpicking.... I found Rasanter to be a little softer than Aurus Prime more suited to all round offense. Aurus Prime seemed to have a little more kick and responded better when trying to spin the ball hard, like you could go for more and get rewarded by the rubber for it. I didn't think either rubber responded well to forehand power looping. They liked powerful spins (especially Aurus Prime) and if you got a little too open when driving forward, the ball would go flying. Both were ok to block with. Not as easy as a T05 because they are faster, but not as annoying as say, an Evolution MX-P.

Will be giving Aurus Prime an extended try out on my backhand to see how playable it is compared to my normal T05.

After playing and training for about 15 hours with it on the BH, have a more definitive opinion. 

Aurus Prime can produce good spin, but is definitely faster than T05. I also think the window is smaller to get a strong loop from the rubber. When you get that timing, it produces a dangerous point winner, if you get it wrong the ball won't arc enough to catch the table. That makes looping require more precision to get the best out of the rubber. T05 is very forgiving in this aspect and if you don't get it quite right, you still get a nice arcing ball that will land. Blocking is quite easy and it is insensitive to incoming spin, as stated by others. It is much harder to punch with than T05, not even close.

I play short points and stay pretty close to the table, so the extra speed takes away the ability to finesse on openings and over the table backhands, leaving little margin for error. I will be going back to T05 where I feel safe and sound. Embarrassed

Posted By: incarnation
Date Posted: 07/31/2017 at 10:15pm
how does Aurus Prime compared with Tenergy and MXP?

-------------
Hurricane 3
Hurricane 3

Posted By: VictorK
Date Posted: 08/06/2017 at 11:52am
I liked quite a bit the the original Tibhar Aurus (regular, not Soft or Sound).  

Does anyone have experience with both the original and new Aurus, or know how similar/different are the new rubbers (Select and Prime) relative to the original Aurus?

-------------
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings

Date Posted: 09/01/2017 at 6:58am
An interesting review:
http://https://ttgearlab.com/2017/08/23/tibhar-aurus-prime-aurus-select-review/" rel="nofollow - https://ttgearlab.com/2017/08/23/tibhar-aurus-prime-aurus-select-review/

Posted By: Saitama
Date Posted: 09/01/2017 at 10:12am
great review.. aurus prime it is.. 🤣

Posted By: ohwell
Date Posted: 09/04/2017 at 7:09pm
About the TTGearlab review (super helpful IMO): it's interesting that they prefer Select on BH.

Date Posted: 09/05/2017 at 2:45am
Today I'm going to try Prime superdupermax and compare it with Vega pro 2mm on the same blade. 

Date Posted: 10/24/2017 at 6:23am
Short comparison of Prime and Vega Pro:
After several weeks of experimenting I'm a little bit confused by the properties of the two rubbers. I put Prime on the FH and Vega Pro had been my BH rubber for a while. Initially I had problems with my FH, because I used to play with Chinese rubbers on my FH, but now I'm used to the rubber.
Vega pro has stronger earlier catapult than Aurus Prime. The top-sheet is firmer and has better grip on brushing. I,m not sure weather the harder feeling is due to the thinner sponge (2.0mm vs 2.3mm) of the Vega or thicker topsheet. When hitting hard, Prime has more catapult than Vega and i think the ball jump faster on the other side of the table. When brushing, Vega bites more with the topsheet. Witht Prime, I have to engage the sponge more and the result is the same. When hitting, I cant say the throw of the vega is Higher. Strange. 
I'm not sure which one I like more. If the sponge thickness of the Vega was max, the comparison would be more accurate. For now I'm gonna play with Prime on the FH.

Posted By: ohwell
Date Posted: 10/24/2017 at 9:38am
Originally posted by BaiMile BaiMile wrote:

Short comparison of Prime and Vega Pro:
After several weeks of experimenting I'm a little bit confused by the properties of the two rubbers. I put Prime on the FH and Vega Pro had been my BH rubber for a while. Initially I had problems with my FH, because I used to play with Chinese rubbers on my FH, but now I'm used to the rubber.
Vega pro has stronger earlier catapult than Aurus Prime. The top-sheet is firmer and has better grip on brushing. I,m not sure weather the harder feeling is due to the thinner sponge (2.0mm vs 2.3mm) of the Vega or thicker topsheet. When hitting hard, Prime has more catapult than Vega and i think the ball jump faster on the other side of the table. When brushing, Vega bites more with the topsheet. Witht Prime, I have to engage the sponge more and the result is the same. When hitting, I cant say the throw of the vega is Higher. Strange. 
I'm not sure which one I like more. If the sponge thickness of the Vega was max, the comparison would be more accurate. For now I'm gonna play with Prime on the FH.

Wow, Vega Pro is making these newest gen ESN rubbers sweat!

It’s interesting that you find the Vega pro’s early catapult stronger. Does it feel bouncier on passive blocks?

Date Posted: 10/25/2017 at 2:59pm
Against hard shot Prime is bouncier. But Vega pro is very good rubber, although older generation tensor.

Posted By: vic#74
Date Posted: 11/03/2017 at 12:08am
I've been playing w/Prime for a last month - overall really good rubber but - it has already got visible sings of wearing in the centre of the topsheet....not affecting the play yet but it looks like 4-6 month old tenergy ...makes me worring a little bit about durability of new ESN rubbers with thin topsheets    

-------------
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S

Date Posted: 11/03/2017 at 2:49am
I see you are playing EL-S on BH, could you compare it with Prime?

Posted By: vic#74
Date Posted: 11/03/2017 at 4:08am
Originally posted by BaiMile BaiMile wrote:

I see you are playing EL-S on BH, could you compare it with Prime?

Prime is harder, faster, spins the ball better. EL-S - better feeling, control, better grabs a ball.
Honestly, I can't imagine me playing w/Prime on BH. Too fast, too furious. But you are so greatly rewarded with those blasting counterpunches against soft, high arc loops. Priceless.

-------------
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S

Posted By: SmackDAT
Date Posted: 11/24/2017 at 11:32pm
Any more reviews? I've ordered 4 for this week!

-------------
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW" rel="nofollow - https://goo.gl/bFWoxW

Date Posted: 11/25/2017 at 2:38am
Don't worry, you are gonna like it.

Posted By: Chewy
Date Posted: 04/17/2019 at 6:28am
Originally posted by mog1111 mog1111 wrote:

I tried aurus select last night on fh on donic wsc (off- carbon blade).
Agree with comments about arc, personally really liked the arc, for me it felt similar to 05fx but not as bouncy.
I liked el-s but did not like what it did when you hit harder, I also felt it was sometimes difficult to use if a bit out of position.
select felt very easy to use. seemed better than el-s when I hit really hard.
not sure about the spin but arc was there, my point is im not sure if it was spin giving it the arc. it felt like that.
I would recommend it to people who want a less bouncy tenergy 05fx, I did not have the 05fx return of serve problems I normally have.
for me it is definitely an improvement on el-s
not as good in short game and serve return but I found it better for driving and looping, somehow a bit easier to use.

I like it enough to try it and im going to get my son to try it too.

been using h3n recently and I found it easy to block with which I thought would be harder than with h3n.
I used in it mega max but would probably try it thinner especially on bh

This definitely suited the blade which is controllable but fairly stiff, it might feel mushy on softer blades.

Hey Mog, 

I like the T05 FX, but I am more of a "ESN team" guy. What I did not like about the 05FX was the spin sensitivity, especially when blocking. 

I did try the FX-S, and really liked it too. But it lacks the top end speed for me to finish the point. 

Do you think the Aurus Select has the control aspects similar to the above? How does it fare in ball placement? If you say it's faster than the EL-S. This all sounds like what I'm looking for! 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net