Print Page | Close Window

DHS 40+ seemed balls suck

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=80233
Printed Date: 04/27/2024 at 8:42am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: DHS 40+ seemed balls suck
Posted By: ericd937
Subject: DHS 40+ seemed balls suck
Date Posted: 09/12/2017 at 9:07am
Do you concur?

-------------
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.

Replies:
Posted By: zeio
Date Posted: 09/12/2017 at 10:08am
Big time. They came too late. They should have come in late 2012, instead they were postponed to late 2014. The ill-fated seamless was supposed to be the one, yet everyone was stuck with that seamed cellulose acetate crap.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g

Posted By: tom
Date Posted: 09/12/2017 at 10:10am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

Do you concur?
are you talking about 40+ or D40+?

Posted By: in2spin
Date Posted: 09/12/2017 at 10:59am
I've come across a few that were hard to believe, they were pretty bad.  Not positive what actual ball, but it was a black DHS label and 3 red stars.  Horrible.

:)

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 09/12/2017 at 11:20am
No.  I do  not concur.

As for identifyiing them, all of the DHS balls have black labels with three red stars.  The D40+ say D40+ in very small letters.

And they do not suck compared to other plastic balls.  They are round, have a consistent bounce and are the most durable balls on average ever made.   I personally like them best, and I have tried essentially every plastic ball sold and have played with plastic exclusively since 2014.

Zeio has it right.  ITTF should never have made a rule change on balls until these balls were ready for mass production.  Or they should have stayed with celluloid.

Posted By: mog1111
Date Posted: 09/12/2017 at 11:22am
Baal, joola flash are my favourite plastic balls I think they take spin best of ones o have tried? any thought on the joolas?

-------------
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler

Date Posted: 09/12/2017 at 11:33am
Yep.  They are typical seamless balls, not very different (if at all) from the others, like XSF.  The good side is they are durable -- unless you hit an edge and then they shatter, and I have seen people having a bad day can break a bunch in a hurry.  Their trajectory in the air is a bit odd, as they tend to float, and while they are not very light, they kind of feel light.  Actually though, they are at the top of the ITTF allowable weight range. The ones I had were reasonably round but quality control on that for seamless balls in general varies from batch to batch.  They play and feel slower than the Nittaku Premium or the D40+, and the way that spin affects the ball is going to be a bit different from Nittaku/D40.  Spin produces complex effects on balls and those effects are not the same for each class.  I find the Joola Flash quite easy to see for some reason, they really look larger but maybe that is an illusion.  They bounce higher than other classes of balls, and indeed higher than the celluloid 40 mm balls we had before.  All in all they are not bad, especially once you are accustomed to them, but I prefer the ABS balls with seams.  It is much easier to transition between a D40+ and a Nittaku Premium than between either of those and a Joola Flash.  If you want seamless balls, my current favorites in that class are from Xiom (a clubmate showed up with some of those a few weeks ago).

But you could do much worse than Joola Flash.  (Like for example a regular DHS 40+ made of cellulose acetate, which is a crime against table tennis).

Posted By: mog1111
Date Posted: 09/12/2017 at 12:03pm
cheers baal, I think I might have to try some!

-------------
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler

Posted By: BigFatLoop
Date Posted: 09/12/2017 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

No.  I do  not concur.

As for identifyiing them, all of the DHS balls have black labels with three red stars.  The D40+ say D40+ in very small letters.

And they do not suck compared to other plastic balls.  They are round, have a consistent bounce and are the most durable balls on average ever made.   I personally like them best, and I have tried essentially every plastic ball sold and have played with plastic exclusively since 2014.

+1 on above. The latest D40+ (see below) are very round, last forever, and are cheap. They seem to be a little slower so they play best on a fast table top.

Posted By: jpenmaster
Date Posted: 09/12/2017 at 10:10pm
The only way I have been able to ruin a D40+ ball is by stepping on it. I almost broke my ankle , the ball only dented and did not bust.

-------------
OSP Expert II w DNA Dragon Grip

Posted By: icontek
Date Posted: 09/12/2017 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by BigFatLoop BigFatLoop wrote:

No.  I do  not concur.

+1 on above. The latest D40+ (see below) are very round, last forever, and are cheap. They seem to be a little slower so they play best on a fast table top.

I quit the sport when the first plastic balls came out.

3 years later, I came back. I hated the G40+ (not round, bad sound, didn't like the bounce, erratic).
XuShaoFa 40+ 3* balls from ttnpp purchased in bulk were bad (3 out of 4 not round at all, didn't spin, random floaters).

The Nittaku Premium balls were "ok" but significantly different from the other two to make switching between balls problematic (I had to adjust my playstyle, spin with NP's, flat hit with others).

This DHS D40+ are a good value. Similar enough to Nittaku Premiums that I don't have to make too much of an adjustment to swap between.

-------------
http://bit.ly/vLMhuB" rel="nofollow - - RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42

Date Posted: 09/13/2017 at 1:39am
I didn't realize there were two variations of DHS 40+ balls as DHS balls aren't very popular here in Vietnam. Nearly all the good players here are using Nittaku or XuShaoFa balls. The DHS ball I used last night felt horrible. It felt like the structure of the ball was collapsing when I hit with my short pips. It just felt really really cheap, had a terrible bounce, and wasn't fun to play with. It could have been the older version. I'm not really sure. I typically buy Nittaku Premiums, but I don't mind playing with the Xsf balls, they are fine. I have some Xiom 40+ practice balls that were a lot better than the balls I used last night.

-------------

Posted By: henningf
Date Posted: 09/13/2017 at 2:16am
Well, DHS and XSF plays differentlyn (Mind you I haven't tried XSF since the first horrible balls hit the marked). The D40+ plays more or less like NP40+ (3 star, one star is horrible) I can change between D40+ and NP without any problems.

Posted By: h0n1g
Date Posted: 09/13/2017 at 3:03am
Big fan of the DHS D40+

-------------
---
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71705&title=feeback-h0n1g" rel="nofollow - My Feedback Thread

Date Posted: 09/13/2017 at 7:32am
Originally posted by ericd937 ericd937 wrote:

I didn't realize there were two variations of DHS 40+ balls as DHS balls aren't very popular here in Vietnam. Nearly all the good players here are using Nittaku or XuShaoFa balls. The DHS ball I used last night felt horrible. It felt like the structure of the ball was collapsing when I hit with my short pips. It just felt really really cheap, had a terrible bounce, and wasn't fun to play with. It could have been the older version. I'm not really sure. I typically buy Nittaku Premiums, but I don't mind playing with the Xsf balls, they are fine. I have some Xiom 40+ practice balls that were a lot better than the balls I used last night.

Understandable.  The original DHS balls (Ma Long on the box) are a crime against table tennis.

The D40+ (Ding Ning on the box) are pretty much like Nittaku Premium but slightly heavier.

The problem is that if you don't have a box, you have to look really closely on the ball labels, which are very similar, except that it is written D40+ in very small print on the good ones (so small I can barely see it without reading glasses).  But if you hit with them, you can tell the difference instantly.

Posted By: in2spin
Date Posted: 09/13/2017 at 11:38am
So, the red ITTF APPROVED balls are the good ones.  I need to look for some.

I obviously hit the black ITTF APPROVED version, which were garbage.

:)

Posted By: kindof99
Date Posted: 09/13/2017 at 12:44pm
seamed ball, not seemed balls.

-------------
/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65174&title=feedback-for-kindof99" rel="nofollow - My Feedback | /forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77924" rel="nofollow - Sale

Date Posted: 09/13/2017 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by in2spin in2spin wrote:

So, the red ITTF APPROVED balls are the good ones.  

Two confirmed visual differences:

old (bad):     ball type is "40+" and have Ma Long's picture on box.
new (good): ball type is "D40+" and have Ding Ning's picture on box.  

Not sure if all the new ones have "ITTF APPROVED" in red color only and this could change at any time so I wouldn't go by that.  

Hopefully DHS will maintain the quality and pricing on the new D40+ balls.

Posted By: rocketman222
Date Posted: 09/13/2017 at 1:17pm
The last batch of balls that I got from eBay in a 10-pack play way lighter than the ones in the 6-pack, I m really sad that d40+ suck now, they seemed really promising

-------------
http://www.bladesbycharlie.com/models/hinokighost" rel="nofollow - BBC Hinoki Ghost
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74126&title=feedback-rocketman222" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 09/13/2017 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

The last batch of balls that I got from eBay in a 10-pack play way lighter than the ones in the 6-pack, I m really sad that d40+ suck now, they seemed really promising

One star or three star?

What do you mean when you say play lighter?

Date Posted: 09/13/2017 at 6:37pm
3 star balls, the 10-pack with ding ning's face on it. When I say light, they feel very light on impact compared to the earlier ones from the 6-pack, i weighed them all, they weigh 2.7g, but ones from the 6-pack weigh 2.8

-------------
http://www.bladesbycharlie.com/models/hinokighost" rel="nofollow - BBC Hinoki Ghost
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74126&title=feedback-rocketman222" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Posted By: TT newbie
Date Posted: 09/13/2017 at 8:39pm
All 40+ balls I´ve played so far were very fragile. And by very fragile I mean starting the training session with a brand new ball and two hours later have it split in two pieces.
I´ve tried DHS 1* 40+, Neottec training ball 40+, Yasaka 1* 40+ and Donic 3* 40+.

Now I´m trying DHS 1* D40+, it´s heavier, less spinny, bounces higher, but lasts much longer than the 40+ balls. Actually I´m still using the same ball and have 9 remaining in the Ding Ning pack. I wonder when it wiil break...

I´d like to have the performance of 40+ and the durability of the D40+. But I can´t have both, so I must go with D40+. I can´t afford playing with a ball which lasts 2 hours.

Date Posted: 09/13/2017 at 8:48pm
Get 3* D40. You will be happy. Tne 1* are not good.

Posted By: qpskfec
Date Posted: 09/13/2017 at 8:49pm

3 star balls, the 10-pack with ding ning's face on it. When I say light, they feel very light on impact compared to the earlier ones from the 6-pack, i weighed them all, they weigh 2.7g, but ones from the 6-pack weigh 2.8

Got a date code for the 10 pack? It's on the bottom flap.

The first 2 6 packs I bought earlier this year were made in Feb. Very nice balls.

I just received a 10 pack made in May that I haven't used yet. I will give them a try this weekend. (I don't have a scale)

Date Posted: 09/13/2017 at 9:04pm

I think the ball is supposed to weigh 2.7gr so it sounds like you prefer a little heavier ball. I am sure others do as well and that's fine, but some may prefer the official weight.  Just a personal preference I guess, that IMHO may be influenced on playing style, equipment, table top speed, physical conditioning, ...

Date Posted: 09/13/2017 at 9:16pm
You need a balance with better resolution.

ITTF specifies a range they allow, and also specifies acceptable variation. After Jan 1, 2016 they got more strict. They had allowed a couple of years of looser standards after 2014 while manufacturers struggled to come up with any non-celluloid ball under severe time constraints.   The ideal is supposed to be 2.70. It turns out to not be so easy to acheive that with a 40.5 mm diameter and still have playability and durability. Most approved balls at this time are around 2.73 including D40s that I weighed. The earliest 40+ balls were around 2.78. Nittakus are around 2.68. Balls at 2.80 would not have ever been approved at any time. But maybe your balance is reading up from 2.75.

I don't mind the extra weight of D40 compared to Nittaku. Personal taste, but I like the solid feel.

Date Posted: 09/13/2017 at 11:16pm

That's a good place to get fakes; were both the 10 and 6 from same vendor?

-------------

Date Posted: 09/13/2017 at 11:28pm
I agree that they could be fakes, I will wait on you guys to tell me your observations on the balls from the 10-pack, its just that the ball from 6-pack feels very close to nittaku balls, and the 10-pack ones feel lighter during play.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/14/2017 at 10:32am
I have some six packs that feel fine.

Date Posted: 09/14/2017 at 2:31pm
Baal i m talking specifically about the 10-pack

-------------

Date Posted: 09/14/2017 at 4:56pm

I agree that they could be fakes, I will wait on you guys to tell me your observations on the balls from the 10-pack, its just that the ball from 6-pack feels very close to nittaku balls, and the 10-pack ones feel lighter during play.

Does your 10 pack have a date code? ITTF requires a date code, if there is no date code embossed on the box, they are fake. If there is a date code, it's highly likely they are real unless the faker took the extra step.

Here are some unscientific loosely controlled results from comparing some unused 6 pack balls from earlier in the year to a 10 pack I just got from paddle palace.

Bounce height, I dropped both balls simultaneously on the counter multiple times. They bounce the same. Tried a few different balls from each pack, same.

I grabbed my hardbat paddle with Dr Evil OX pips and bounced a bunch of different balls as high as possible up to the ceiling. They all feel the same to me. Switched to Tenergy 80, same.

I used the spectrum analyzer app that people have been using to record blade frequency and got the frequency of the balls bouncing on the counter. The results were close enough that I call them all the same or likely within expected manufacturing variance.

I will play with the balls at the club this weekend.

Date Posted: 09/14/2017 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

Does your 10 pack have a date code? ITTF requires a date code, if there is no date code embossed on the box, they are fake. If there is a date code, it's highly likely they are real unless the faker took the extra step.

Here are some unscientific loosely controlled results from comparing some unused 6 pack balls from earlier in the year to a 10 pack I just got from paddle palace.

Bounce height, I dropped both balls simultaneously on the counter multiple times. They bounce the same. Tried a few different balls from each pack, same.

I grabbed my hardbat paddle with Dr Evil OX pips and bounced a bunch of different balls as high as possible up to the ceiling. They all feel the same to me. Switched to Tenergy 80, same.

I used the spectrum analyzer app that people have been using to record blade frequency and got the frequency of the balls bouncing on the Kutchen counter. The results were close enough that I call them all the same or likely within expected manufacturing variance.

I'll find the date and report it here tonight, i m sincerely hoping that the ones i got were fake, in that case its not big deal, cause 20 of them cost me 9$, and I can donate them to my office pingpong supplies.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/14/2017 at 7:59pm

I'll find the date and report it here tonight, i m sincerely hoping that the ones i got were fake, in that case its not big deal, cause 20 of them cost me 9$, and I can donate them to my office pingpong supplies.

Your office has pingpong supplies??!!  Cool!! Thumbs Up Are they hiring?   

Date Posted: 09/14/2017 at 8:47pm

I used the spectrum analyzer app that people have been using to record blade frequency and got the frequency of the balls bouncing on the Kutchen counter. The results were close enough that I call them all the same or likely within expected manufacturing variance.

$9 for 20 is a red flag, less than 50 cents per ball. Sounds too good to be true.

For comparison, ttnpp sells 72 3* balls for $40, so a little less than 60 cents each.

I paid about $14 for 12 balls on aliexpress in March. The current rate still is around a buck a ball more or less for small quantities.

Date Posted: 09/14/2017 at 8:54pm

Maybe you could post detailed pics of the box and the ball markings from ebay, to compare to the ones from TTNPP.

Posted By: book4all
Date Posted: 09/14/2017 at 9:01pm
My D40+ from TTNPP weights 2.72 gram each on average. 27.2 grams for 10 balls. Smile

The distinct feature of D40+ is not quite white. I haven't found any balls from other manufacturers with similar "antique-white" color.

Date Posted: 09/15/2017 at 12:51am
Double fish V40+ isn't that far off in color.

Posted By: Victor_the_cleaner
Date Posted: 09/15/2017 at 1:13am
after reading that mega thread, i bought about of ding ning DHS balls from ttnpp.

They are TOTAL GARBAGE, COMPLETELY WORTHLESS. 

Maybe i have gotten some weird batch, but these balls cannot last me one 3-hour day at the club without cracking, half of them are not round, and are too rough-surfased to retain any kind of spin. The balls has tremendous air drag that just kills speed and spin. 

They are nowhere near Nittaku. Not on same planet. Maybe i got ML balls in DN boxes? Who knows what u get when u buy crap from China. Just don't you tell me its my perception. 

Date Posted: 09/15/2017 at 2:01am
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

after reading that mega thread, i bought about of ding ning DHS balls from ttnpp.

They are TOTAL GARBAGE, COMPLETELY WORTHLESS. 

Maybe i have gotten some weird batch, but these balls cannot last me one 3-hour day at the club without cracking, half of them are not round, and are too rough-surfased to retain any kind of spin. The balls has tremendous air drag that just kills speed and spin. 

They are nowhere near Nittaku. Not on same planet. Maybe i got ML balls in DN boxes? Who knows what u get when u buy crap from China. Just don't you tell me its my perception. 

I would never order bulk balls from TTNPP again. Last year our club bought 72 XuShaoFa 3* seamless, and maybe there were 20 round in the whole batch. Total waste of money.

If you're going to buy DHS D40+ balls, try tabletennis11 - our club had good luck with those.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/15/2017 at 2:03am
Please tell if it is one star or three star, since there is a huge difference in one star and three star DHS balls.

Date Posted: 09/15/2017 at 2:18am
Here's the pics of the crap balls  http://imgur.com/gallery/1Euh7" rel="nofollow - https://imgur.com/gallery/1Euh7

-------------

Date Posted: 09/15/2017 at 9:33am
I have six-packs of DHS D40+ balls that are very good marked XBAG, in other words February of 2017.  They are three-star.

As someone else noted, not quite as white as some other balls.  They are 2.73 grams.  But very good to play with and they don't break, almost ever.

Wipe them with a towel before you play with them though, they may be the dustiest balls ever made.

As for ttnpp, I have never had a problem with them (have not bought much from them) BUT you have to wonder where he gets his stock that he can sell for so much lower than anyone else.

Date Posted: 09/15/2017 at 9:45am
The box looks totally the same as I got from TTNPP. Can you compare the color of the bad balls with other brands? 

My DHS Ding Ning D40+ 3* also have a stamped batch number : XFAG (F is no clear, could be P, but mostly F). 

I used some D40+ from TTNPP, though still use Nitakku Premium 90% time. The first day experience of D40+ are very good, close to Nittaku Premium. My recent experience brought up a little doubt. I saw the first real time crack during the play, just like the old DHS 40+. After that I immediately switched to Nittaku Premium again. So I still don't have enough experience at this time to tell good or bad. 

I wonder how many people have bad experiences with DHS D40+ 3 star balls. And how many people feels very good. If you can add the source, like TTNPP, TT11, eBay, etc. , that would be great. 

Date Posted: 09/15/2017 at 11:49am

Here's the pics of the crap balls  http://imgur.com/gallery/1Euh7" rel="nofollow - https://imgur.com/gallery/1Euh7

Pix do not show the top/bottom part of the box where the date code should be. You probably cannot tell if it is there from a picture as it is embossed into the cardboard. You have to look close to see it.

On my box it is on the box flap that has "10 peices". Run your finger to the left of the "10" and you will feel the date code.

Date Posted: 09/15/2017 at 11:51am
Originally posted by book4all book4all wrote:

The box looks totally the same as I got from TTNPP. Can you compare the color of the bad balls with other brands? 

My DHS Ding Ning D40+ 3* also have a stamped batch number : XFAG (F is no clear, could be P, but mostly F). 

I used some D40+ from TTNPP, though still use Nitakku Premium 90% time. The first day experience of D40+ are very good, close to Nittaku Premium. My recent experience brought up a little doubt. I saw the first real time crack during the play, just like the old DHS 40+. After that I immediately switched to Nittaku Premium again. So I still don't have enough experience at this time to tell good or bad. 

I wonder how many people have bad experiences with DHS D40+ 3 star balls. And how many people feels very good. If you can add the source, like TTNPP, TT11, eBay, etc. , that would be great. 

That stamp means yours were made in June of 2017.  A P in the second position would never exist.  (The date code is simple, first two letters are month with X denoting zero, and last two letters denote year; ITTF mandates that code, although I really don't know why they just don't tell manufactures to stamp the date on the box so people can just read it).   I got one bunch from a site on Aliexpress (10-boxes) and another from ttnpp (6-boxes).  Haven't noticed that they are different in play, although sometimes I imagine that the ones I got from ttnpp make a slightly higher pitched sound when they bounce. If you really want to be sure, buy from TT11. 

Posted By: wilkinru
Date Posted: 09/15/2017 at 11:57am
Just about every company is coming out with new balls right now. You know why? Because they are rebranded D40+ balls. Every company is swapping out from the old garbage and soon the seamless ball will be the odd ball we complain about as the new standard will be these D40+ and Nittaku.

Also all of the pros are happier with them, compared to the previous. Hopefully we will end up with a slightly softer ball that more spin can be imparted as the manufacturing process improves.

Stiga's new ball which just seems just like the D40+! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geWdqlwNaBs" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geWdqlwNaBs

-------------
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted

Date Posted: 09/15/2017 at 11:58am
Yes, although some of them may also be rebranded V40+ balls from Double Fish.  Still, they play similar enough.  I agree, this general class of balls is going to become the standard (and also, playing properties of seamless are likely to become more and more like the seamed ABS).  Not everybody will love them, but we won't be having to deal with so many different classes of balls.

Date Posted: 09/15/2017 at 2:04pm

That stamp means yours were made in June of 2017.  A P in the second position would never exist.  (The date code is simple, first two letters are month with X denoting zero, and last two letters denote year; ITTF mandates that code, although I really don't know why they just don't tell manufactures to stamp the date on the box so people can just read it).   I got one bunch from a site on Aliexpress (10-boxes) and another from ttnpp (6-boxes).  Haven't noticed that they are different in play, although sometimes I imagine that the ones I got from ttnpp make a slightly higher pitched sound when they bounce. If you really want to be sure, buy from TT11. 

The Date code is XDAG, so D==April??

Also the balls are not off-white, but white

-------------

Date Posted: 09/15/2017 at 2:10pm
Yes, April.

Posted By: siestakey
Date Posted: 09/15/2017 at 2:16pm
  This is baffling , bought loads of Ding Nings  from TTnPP can't see a problem !

-------------
Siesta Key
W968
Omega Tour 7 i

Date Posted: 09/15/2017 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by siestakey siestakey wrote:

Its clear, i will put the dinged ding nings in the office ball box :)

-------------

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 09/15/2017 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by siestakey siestakey wrote:

Same here. But in the end though, the ball is pretty cheap. Should not be the end of the world.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Posted By: Victor_the_cleaner
Date Posted: 09/15/2017 at 9:03pm
As ALWAYS,
Nittaku and Butterfly are the only safe balls to buy. You can try the others. If you feel lucky. 

Date Posted: 09/15/2017 at 10:22pm
I did some multiball with a mix of 12 balls, half from a 6 pack made in Feb, half from a 10 pack made in May, no difference.

I will restate the obvious - $9 for 20 balls is a huge red flag. It's like the $50 sheets of Tenergy you see on ebay.

Date Posted: 09/16/2017 at 12:11am
Thanks Baal. I tried another box (same batch code for June 2017) from TTNPP. Today's play experience is positive and still quite close to Nittaku Premium. Again I haven't used D40+ too much yet . And with TTNPP's price I don't need to worry about it. 

I believe the D40+ balls should be "antique white" or "off white". 

Date Posted: 09/16/2017 at 12:20am
Which aliexpress buyer do you guys suggest, i think TT11 is overpriced, and ttnp, i don't want to buy such a huge shipment of balls

-------------

Date Posted: 09/16/2017 at 12:22am
The http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74937&PID=970171&title=dhs-d40-to-be-released-in-april#970171" rel="nofollow - 2017 MSRP for D40+ in China is ¥3.2(~$0.49 as of Sep 16) each for the 6pk.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g

Date Posted: 09/16/2017 at 12:30am
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

The http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=74937&PID=970171&title=dhs-d40-to-be-released-in-april#970171" rel="nofollow - 2017 MSRP for D40+ in China is ¥3.2(~$0.49 as of Sep 16) each for the 6pk.

WOW! Thanks for the insider info Zeio!

-------------

Posted By: Red (Europe)
Date Posted: 09/16/2017 at 2:55am
Originally posted by wilkinru wilkinru wrote:

Just about every company is coming out with new balls right now. You know why? Because they are rebranded D40+ balls. Every company is swapping out from the old garbage and soon the seamless ball will be the odd ball we complain about as the new standard will be these D40+ and Nittaku.

I guess that almost hits the spot, at least as long as the master of odd, the BTY G40+, is taken out of the equation. But it's quite funny that the more I play with the newer D40 balls the odder XSF seamless seems to behave.

-------------
-- wrecking crew --

Date Posted: 09/16/2017 at 11:34am

Which aliexpress buyer do you guys suggest, i think TT11 is overpriced, and ttnp, i don't want to buy such a huge shipment of balls

Ttnpp sells 6 packs

Posted By: LUCKYLOOP
Date Posted: 09/18/2017 at 8:44am

There is another possible answer. Plastic balls are susceptible to form change during shipping by high temperatures in the container, truck or even mailbox depending on the amount of exposure. If most of the balls were a problem, that might be a symptom.

I don't order any during summer months to be safe.

-------------
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX

Posted By: gromousse
Date Posted: 09/22/2017 at 11:20am
I can't understand how you can say that new D40+ are better balls... they are just shit for me. Heavy sensation, nearly no spin, have to pull the racket like aa hammer to make them go forward... ABS sucks, really. At last, old DHS 40+ had a poor bounce, and poor speed, but they had a minimal range of spin... these new D40+ are horrible, just like the others.
Nittaku premium seems to be by far better, although the bounce is low, but with an adjustment you can deal with it. They have spin too. But ABS Dead

-------------
OSP Ultimate 2 / T05 / T05fx

Date Posted: 09/22/2017 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by gromousse gromousse wrote:

I can't understand how you can say that new D40+ are better balls... they are just shit for me. Heavy sensation, nearly no spin, have to pull the racket like aa hammer to make them go forward... ABS sucks, really. At last, old DHS 40+ had a poor bounce, and poor speed, but they had a minimal range of spin... these new D40+ are horrible, just like the others.
Nittaku premium seems to be by far better, although the bounce is low, but with an adjustment you can deal with it. They have spin too. But ABS Dead

Nittaku Premium is an ABS ball.

Date Posted: 09/23/2017 at 12:12am
Has anyone tired the TSP 40+ ball? Who makes it? I had a go with it the other day, and my initial impression was quite good. Descent spin, speed, roundness, feel, and bounce.

-------------

Posted By: gromousse
Date Posted: 09/23/2017 at 3:02am
Agree, but really different from the other balls, ABS or not. And really better IMO.

-------------
OSP Ultimate 2 / T05 / T05fx

Date Posted: 09/23/2017 at 3:44am
Sounds to me like all the new ABS balls are great (for a while) are there other factories in China than double fish and DHS that make seamed balls?

Posted By: Shifu
Date Posted: 09/24/2017 at 10:22am
Unfortunately a friend who plays really well told me the same, balls from newer batches are worse.

I just checked an older, good ball and a new one. The new ones have a much slimmer seam inside.

EDIT: Could it be that TTNPP sells fake balls? The first ones which were good were also bought from TTNPP.

Date Posted: 09/24/2017 at 11:38am

Originally posted by gromousse gromousse wrote:

Nittaku Premium is an ABS ball.

The world's first, while we're at it.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g

Date Posted: 09/24/2017 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Fabian1890 Fabian1890 wrote:

Unfortunately a friend who plays really well told me the same, balls from newer batches are worse.

I just checked an older, good ball and a new one. The new ones have a much slimmer seam inside.

EDIT: Could it be that TTNPP sells fake balls? The first ones which were good were also bought from TTNPP.

I suppose the first batches were National D40+?   

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g

Date Posted: 09/24/2017 at 12:14pm

That is interesting, suggests there has been a change in how they make the balls.  Bear in mind, though, that the Nittaku Premium also has a very very thin seam, so much so that you kind of hold it up to the light to see it.  I wonder if they licensed the technology to do that from Nittaku, who have a patent for it.

I am glad Fabian posted it because it indicates that there really is something going on here.

After seeing this, I went and checked the balls I have.  All of the ones that I have that were made in February 2017 have a thicker seam.  They are good.

Also checked a recent DHS rebrand that a friend of mine brought back from a guy in Europe who plans to distribute them under the label "Red + Black" (not yet ITTF approved).  It plays pretty good, also has a thick seam.

Date Posted: 09/24/2017 at 1:49pm
Just got an order in from ttnpp this week. July mfg date. Definitely thinner seam than previous balls. It is easy to tell if hold a flashlight up to the ball.

I have some made in Feb and May that have the thicker seam. These play fine.(Purchased on aliexpress and paddle palace)

I will try out some of the new balls next week.

Date Posted: 09/24/2017 at 2:13pm

Just got an order in from ttnpp this week. July mfg date. Definitely thinner seam than previous balls. It is easy to tell if hold a flashlight up to the ball.

I have some made in Feb and May that have the thicker seam. These play fine.(Purchased on aliexpress and paddle palace)

I will try out some of the new balls next week.

Did you get 40+ or D40+ with Ding Ning picture on box ?

-------------

Date Posted: 09/24/2017 at 4:20pm
i got D40+, the new ones.

Date Posted: 09/24/2017 at 4:23pm
I am definitely going to be keeping my eyes open about this!

Posted By: NextLevel
Date Posted: 09/24/2017 at 4:41pm
It is deflating that this only worked out long enough to get Weikert elected. Will monitor as well.

-------------
https://youtu.be/jhO4K_yFhh8?t=115" rel="nofollow - I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...

Date Posted: 09/24/2017 at 7:00pm

I have purchased fake product from TTNPP before. Usually DHS branded (rubber, balls, etc).

I don't think they knowingly sell fakes, it's more likely that they don't purchase directly from DHS but use a middleman or middlemen who sometimes rip them off or get them a deal too good to be true.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/24/2017 at 7:25pm
The eBay seller I got the lighter balls from insists that he sold me the original and he gets it directly from DHS.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/29/2017 at 8:31am

Can you compare the thin seamed D40+ and a Nittaku Premium 40+ to see if the seams match ?

-------------

Date Posted: 09/29/2017 at 11:55am
Hard to see but I am pretty sure the NP40+ seam is still a lot slimmer than from the new D40+

Date Posted: 09/29/2017 at 11:56am
Damn, JPEG compression does not help at all here...

Date Posted: 09/29/2017 at 12:09pm
Probably, only way to be sure is to cut two balls open for comparison.

Wait until you have broken ones of each.

-------------

Date Posted: 09/29/2017 at 12:27pm
I just cut a NP40+, a D40+ old and new and a 3S 40+ by Andro, will post pics soon

Date Posted: 09/29/2017 at 12:33pm
Here we go:

Date Posted: 09/29/2017 at 1:35pm
Wow, thanks a lot!!

Is it easier/possible to quantify the thickness of the seams of old and new D40+?

Date Posted: 09/29/2017 at 1:46pm

Wow, thanks a lot!!

Is it easier/possible to quantify the thickness of the seams of old and new D40+?

Seems like we are talking about seam "width" (overlap) not "thickness", right?

Date Posted: 09/29/2017 at 1:47pm
New D40+ and Andro's are quite close in the color of the plastic material used. 
Old D40+ used different materials. 
Old D40+'s seams are 1/3 or 1/4 wider (instead of "thicker") than new D40+?

Date Posted: 09/29/2017 at 1:52pm
Yeah what we mean is probably overlap, giving a more solid feel

Date Posted: 09/29/2017 at 2:16pm

Damn, JPEG compression does not help at all here...

Upload to imgur.com, they don't compress it.

-------------
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g

Date Posted: 09/29/2017 at 3:11pm
Something that would be another clue is to weigh both versions of the D40+ to see if there is a difference.

When shining a flashlight from under the ball, the thin seam balls are definitely a brighter white color than the thick seam balls. If they are made of the same material this may mean the thin seam balls are actually lighter. (Could also be just due to normal variances in batches of plastic)

NP40 balls are muck darker with a yellow/orange tint under the same conditions.

Posted By: bluehorseshoe
Date Posted: 09/29/2017 at 7:47pm
I just got my delivery of balls from TTNPP and they are definitely different than the ones I received from tabletennis11 maybe 6 months ago.  The old balls were a very bright white, these new ones are a little off white and the seam is different.  I bounced them on the table and the new ones seemed to bounce a bit higher, but there could be variability ball to ball.  Haven't gotten a chance to hit with it yet.

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68077&PID=823122#823122

Date Posted: 09/29/2017 at 11:37pm
We got the thick seamed ones for our club from tabletennis11. 
They are good.

-------------

Posted By: ThePongProfessor
Date Posted: 11/05/2017 at 3:34pm
Any u[dates ?

-------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/feedback-thepongprofessor_topic69419.html" rel="nofollow - Feedback

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net