Print Page | Close Window

Who uses short pips

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=84802
Printed Date: 05/02/2024 at 3:41pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Who uses short pips
Posted By: gnopgnipster
Subject: Who uses short pips
Date Posted: 01/08/2019 at 10:28am
I would like to know who uses short pips here, and if you are a defensive or attacking player.

-------------
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

Replies:
Posted By: TT newbie
Date Posted: 01/08/2019 at 10:40am
I´m a SP penholder with inverted in RPB.

Posted By: mjamja
Date Posted: 01/08/2019 at 11:24am
Spectol Red 2.0 on Bh. Attacking with Bh most of time. Even Bh blocks tend to be more aggressive punch style rather than defensive blocks. Working hard on staying aggressive against higher quality balls instead of getting defensive.

Mark - Poster boy for "How not to play SP Bh"

Posted By: Ranger-man
Date Posted: 01/08/2019 at 11:29am
I have dabbled with medium pips and have used them quite a bit. Medium pips, Gambler Peacekeeper on my Cpen blade. I do not play RPB and I am fairly attack-oriented but I have a very strong backhand punch-block and flat hit. I do try to convert as my backhands into a forehand as possible.
My main setup though is inverted on single-ply blades, but I find pips-out to be a fun change as well.
Sorry if my reply is not what you were looking for since Peacekeeper is medium pips, not short-pips. 

-------------
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!

Posted By: ThePongProfessor
Date Posted: 01/08/2019 at 1:10pm
Shakehand short pips in BH (Spinlord Waran 2). All-round style (blocks, drives, short game, pushes)

-------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/feedback-thepongprofessor_topic69419.html" rel="nofollow - Feedback

Posted By: gatz
Date Posted: 01/08/2019 at 1:52pm
Shortpips user here:
Fh: Spinpips red Bh: Tenergy hard 05 ZJKszlc
    Spectol red      Tenergy Hard 05 Garayda zlc
    Aggressor 1.5 mp Firestorm sp Matador Texa
    Desperado 2 lp    Omega 7 asia Stiga Def Pro
Attacker flat driver

-------------
Blade: ZJ SZLC, Garayda 5000 Matador Texa
Rubbers: FH::Symmetry SP BH: Tenergy Hard, FH: MoristoSP ax BH: Tenergy Hard,FH:Desperado 2 BH: Omega 7 Asia   

Posted By: Giz
Date Posted: 01/08/2019 at 2:10pm
FH Mizuno Booster SA 2.0
BH Xiom Vega Europe 1.8
Blade Nittaku Ludeack ST

Mainly allround play style
Cheers

Posted By: cmugica
Date Posted: 01/08/2019 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Giz Giz wrote:

FH Mizuno Booster SA 2.0
BH Xiom Vega Europe 1.8
Blade Nittaku Ludeack ST

Cheers

Is Mizuno Booster SA fast? Can you compare it to Waran, Moristo or Blowfish?

Thank you.

-------------
SDC custom st
FH G-1 max
BH Evolution FX-S 1.9

Posted By: Skyline
Date Posted: 01/08/2019 at 2:51pm
Donic Ovtcharov Carbospeed
Tibhar Speedy Soft Dtecs 2.0 Red

agressive counterhitter.

Posted By: serr
Date Posted: 01/08/2019 at 4:53pm
spinpips red 1.5 on bh; flat hit + loop vs underspin

Date Posted: 01/09/2019 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by cmugica cmugica wrote:

FH Mizuno Booster SA 2.0
BH Xiom Vega Europe 1.8
Blade Nittaku Ludeack ST

Cheers

Thank you.

Booster SA is pretty fast and spinning. I can compare with TSP Spinpips Red same thickness. It is a bit less fast but spinnier and more sensitive to incoming spin. It has almost no deception but a good control, maybe as Spinpips Red.
Shortly I’m going to try Spinlord Waran 1.8.
Ciao

Posted By: JEAus
Date Posted: 01/09/2019 at 3:39pm
Shakehands
Spinpips blue FH
T05 Hard BH

Fairly aggressive all-rounder, right up at the table. Flat forehand, strong backhand loop. Emphasis on position and spin over raw power.

-------------
Regards,
Jonathan

Date Posted: 01/09/2019 at 5:21pm
I use a Friendship 802 Mystery 3, Palio AK47 Red (BH) and a Ma Lin Carbon cpen blade.

I´m a blocker and counter-attacker.

Posted By: mykonos96
Date Posted: 01/10/2019 at 12:46am

Originally posted by cmugica cmugica wrote:

FH Mizuno Booster SA 2.0
BH Xiom Vega Europe 1.8
Blade Nittaku Ludeack ST

Cheers

Thank you.

Booster SA is pretty fast and spinning. I can compare with TSP Spinpips Red same thickness. It is a bit less fast but spinnier and more sensitive to incoming spin. It has almost no deception but a good control, maybe as Spinpips Red.
Shortly I’m going to try Spinlord Waran 1.8.
Ciao

I got sink from booster SA when you flat hit the opponent hit the net a lot of times. Where do you get SA?

Posted By: Lula
Date Posted: 01/10/2019 at 1:22am
I use short pips on my forehand. Do you think the new ball is good or bad for short pips? I feel that you need to work harder to get a hard shot, But everyone need to Do that. I Do think the less spin of the ball suits counterhitting and short pimple play.

Date Posted: 01/10/2019 at 7:37am
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

I got sink from booster SA when you flat hit the opponent hit the net a lot of times. Where do you get SA?
TT-Japan store
If the player is not used with SP the deception of booster SA is enough to win points on flat hits but Rakza PO is way more deceptive. Maybe after Waran experiment I'll come back to Rakza PO.

Date Posted: 01/10/2019 at 8:11am
Originally posted by Lula Lula wrote:

I use short pips on my forehand. Do you think the new ball is good or bad for short pips? I feel that you need to work harder to get a hard shot, But everyone need to Do that. I Do think the less spin of the ball suits counterhitting and short pimple play.
I think it´s bad. I mean, when you compare with 38mm ball the new one is worse to play with SP.
SP game has speed as main weapon and the bigger the diameter of the ball, less speed you will generate.

Posted By: ericd937
Date Posted: 01/10/2019 at 9:57am
I've played short and medium pimples on both back hand and forehand. I've recently changed back to inverted on both sides because the pimples I ordered are stuck in customs. I prefer all my pimples in 1.5 sponge, but the shops in Vietnam only carry most of the pimples in max sponge. For me, the best forehand short pimple was Spectol Blue. My favorite backhand pimples are Spinpips Blue, 802-40 on custom 1.5 sponge from Cole's TT, and Butterfly Challenger Attack. 

-------------
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.

Posted By: JEAus
Date Posted: 01/11/2019 at 4:50pm
How different do you find spinpips blue and spectol blue?

-------------
Regards,
Jonathan

Date Posted: 01/12/2019 at 2:22am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

I think it´s bad. I mean, when you compare with 38mm ball the new one is worse to play with SP.
SP game has speed as main weapon and the bigger the diameter of the ball, less speed you will generate.

The speed and spin is less for everyone. I think the less spin is most noticeable and that is worse for spinoriented players and choppers than for short pimple players i would say.

Date Posted: 01/12/2019 at 2:38am

The speed and spin is less for everyone. I think the less spin is most noticeable and that is worse for spinoriented players and choppers than for short pimple players i would say.

Sp players now win playing with variation and placement but I play with amateurs and the speed is there, its hard to return a sp smash close to the table the best example is mathias karlsson and hzw

Date Posted: 01/12/2019 at 4:57am

But SP penhold hitters need the incoming spin to maximize counter attacks. With less spin counters are also less effective. It´s not coincidence the style disappeared after 40mm ball was introduced.

Date Posted: 01/12/2019 at 5:49pm
I can agree that it benefits short pimple players if the ball have more spin since you get more help. Nowdays maybe you need to work a little more with the body, but everyone needs to do that. I still think short pimple could work fine today because we are not affected so much by the less spin compared to others and it is easier to counterhit the ball closer to the table in general. I think Harimoto would not be near as successfull with the older ball, even less with the 38 mm since his close to the table counterlooping game works well and is easier with the new ball. But maybe he could have adapted. 

I think it more suited to play with shakehand short pimple today since i think it is easier or more natural to use the body while smashing forehand with shakehand. I agree with you that penholders usually play alot more counterhitting closer to the table. 

I do not know if the ball had anything to do with short pimple players disappearing. I think China had a hard time against europe and especially sweden and needed to change something to win more. They became more successfull with the looping game and kept on doing that. Then i feel that they tried to keep their winning concept.  But maybe they did not succeed with the short pimple play anymore because of the ball, so you might be correct. 

Here in sweden the short pimple style is not forgotten. Since Mattias Falck is doing well there are pretty many players using short pimple pretty successfull with short pimple on the forehand. I think it is alot about that coaches do not have enough knowledge about material and how to use short pimple so therefor alot of players do not try this style. 

I do think the ball is really affecting choppers. Especially pushblockers. They do not get enough spin so they are forced to become more offensive. I do not think it is a good idea to become a chopper today. But then again, Ma Te is doing retty well it seems so if it works for one it can work for more. 

Good discussion!

Posted By: obesechopper
Date Posted: 01/12/2019 at 6:32pm
There's still a decent amount of people using short pips forehand and anti-spin or LP on the backhand.

Amelie Solja is still top 100 using this style, so it can hardly be seen as extinct! As you go down the ranks, the style pops up more often as well. 

Sriram Sushmit does it at a pretty high level for men's game also. 

Whereas more passive pushblockers suffer from lack of spin, the blocker + aggressive hitter still has many opportunities to catch the opponent off guard. 

Date Posted: 01/12/2019 at 7:08pm
Yes! I Do think pushblockers need to attack more But one option would be to try anti instead. I find it amazing that really really good players seem to have problem how they should play against anti and how to read the spin.

He is fun to watch and is really good with the anti But i so not think his forehand is so good.

I agree. I play with short pimple on the forehand and block, smash alot and think the new ball suits this game pretty okey.

Posted By: pitigoi
Date Posted: 01/13/2019 at 11:21am
Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

There's still a decent amount of people using short pips forehand and anti-spin or LP on the backhand.

Amelie Solja is still top 100 using this style, so it can hardly be seen as extinct! As you go down the ranks, the style pops up more often as well. 

Whereas more passive pushblockers suffer from lack of spin, the blocker + aggressive hitter still has many opportunities to catch the opponent off guard. 

Amelie Solja used to loop with inverted FH. I doubt she changed her style
(which I considered imitating).

Date Posted: 01/13/2019 at 11:28am
I also use Short Pips now on my Right Hand BH, Legend 105 to be precise.

The reason: I am looking for longer rallies to practice my inverted FH counterhits and my normal LPs on BH (Grass) usually end the point against my intermediate-level partners. Either I miss or the miss the next shot.

My cream-sponged Legend 105 is only 23g and does not change the weight of the bat too much.

Date Posted: 01/13/2019 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by pitigoi pitigoi wrote:

Do you have any videos of her looping? Dont think I've ever seen her do it. And everywhere I read, even from people who met her in person, say the forehand is pips also.

In an old interview from 2010 I believe, she said she started as a double inverted player but swapped her style very soon.

Date Posted: 01/13/2019 at 2:35pm
I just watched a game of her. It does not look beautiful when she play but diversity is fun and as long as it works for her. She seem to get very good effect on the backhand, but she could barely smash with forehand i think but maybe she was very passive in the match i saw. 

I know a guy that uses long pimple and short pimple and i find it intersting that players choose to play with long pimple or anti on the bh and short pimple on the fh. I think they would get to many balls with backspin on the forehand and short pimple is in my opinion useless on that kind of ball. But maybe they get some opportunities to smash when people loop against the backspin. 

Date Posted: 01/13/2019 at 2:42pm

I just watched a game of her. It does not look beautiful when she play but diversity is fun and as long as it works for her. She seem to get very good effect on the backhand, but she could barely smash with forehand i think but maybe she was very passive in the match i saw. 

I know a guy that uses long pimple and short pimple and i find it intersting that players choose to play with long pimple or anti on the bh and short pimple on the fh. I think they would get to many balls with backspin on the forehand and short pimple is in my opinion useless on that kind of ball. But maybe they get some opportunities to smash when people loop against the backspin. 

You block loops with the anti and it results in back spin -- which the opponent tries to reloop, so you block again. Or they push it back, often times too high -- and then you smash those with the short pips. Your pushes have to very low and tight, otherwise they get smashed. Amelie is top 100 for a reason! Her FH is lethal against those. 

Generally speaking the people who use inverted forehand with anti are more fh oriented. They do loops and such just using the anti for a pace change now and then. Though not always, you can do the same with fh pips if you like the style.

Date Posted: 01/13/2019 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by pitigoi pitigoi wrote:

I have to take back "loop". But she used topspin attack in matches against
some high-level amateur men, i.e. those posted at:

http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7207&start=7

Possibly with inverted, maybe she was toying with these guys.

Date Posted: 01/13/2019 at 6:46pm

You block loops with the anti and it results in back spin -- which the opponent tries to reloop, so you block again. Or they push it back, often times too high -- and then you smash those with the short pips. Your pushes have to very low and tight, otherwise they get smashed. Amelie is top 100 for a reason! Her FH is lethal against those. 

Generally speaking the people who use inverted forehand with anti are more fh oriented. They do loops and such just using the anti for a pace change now and then. Though not always, you can do the same with fh pips if you like the style.

Yeah, it will proable be pretty good chances to smash when the push is high or when they loop. but i still think against good pushes, the opening loop with short pimple is really bad compared to inverted and i do not think good players push high very often so alot of times they need to do just a opening loop. And i think they get more long pushes against themselves compared to players with inverted rubber on the bh since they make backspin with the anti or long pips. Good players will proably loop back very well at those opening loops with the short pimple and you will have a hard time to win that point. I play with short pimple on the forehand on a pretty high level so i know this ball is a big disadvantage of using short pimples. 

But like you said, she is top 100 and the indian guy is also pretty good so it still works! But i do think short pimple on the forehadn is better combined with a inverted rubber on the backhand since i think these kind of players tend to not get as much long pushes to the forehand. But the players with anti or long pips proably get alot of good slow topspins that they can smash compared to a player with inverted on the bh. 

I feel that i have said a lot of negative things about anti and long pimple on the backhand here, but i do really like the diversity. I also think it is bad that we changed the ball and banned the long pimples with no friction because i think this blocking style will not be used so much in the future because you do not get so much spin anymore. 

i agree that people with inverted on the forehand tend to be more fh oriented. I think it is more difficult to be as fh oriented with fh short pips since you need to hit the ball more on the highest point and if you come wrong you can only lift the ball. 

Date Posted: 01/13/2019 at 10:12pm
Well, I think they stand about as good a chance as any of the short pip pen holders-- which also died out at the top! So theres something to it, of course. Outside of the top 100 you can find quite a few. So we wont Dee a resurgence of the style at a world class level, but certainly viable for nearly everyone else.

It seems that the anti blockers have to play so close to the table already that the short strokes of sp are easier and more available. With inverted you probably need a bit more swing and room to execute them. Even the quick style of harimoto is still a bit different. So the anti guys are already hovering the table, then they only have to pivot and swing through the ball.

Although nixia lian the lp penhold hitter swapped from using sp to inverted, bc she said she wasn't fast enough anymore. Although she has to twiddle to use the inverted.

I personally use sp and anti combo most of the time, and I do better with sp rather than inverted. Just bad footwork mainly. I'm never in a position to loop, but I can smash and roll reliably.

Date Posted: 01/13/2019 at 10:55pm

Well, I think they stand about as good a chance as any of the short pip pen holders-- which also died out at the top! So theres something to it, of course. Outside of the top 100 you can find quite a few. So we wont Dee a resurgence of the style at a world class level, but certainly viable for nearly everyone else.

It seems that the anti blockers have to play so close to the table already that the short strokes of sp are easier and more available. With inverted you probably need a bit more swing and room to execute them. Even the quick style of harimoto is still a bit different. So the anti guys are already hovering the table, then they only have to pivot and swing through the ball.

Although nixia lian the lp penhold hitter swapped from using sp to inverted, bc she said she wasn't fast enough anymore. Although she has to twiddle to use the inverted.

I personally use sp and anti combo most of the time, and I do better with sp rather than inverted. Just bad footwork mainly. I'm never in a position to loop, but I can smash and roll reliably.

There are few cpen SP because its more hard to train a good one and speed is not the edge but placement variation but its still tticky to beat a good one. Niwa beat hzw in 6 games at the worlds last set 15-13

Go figure a young he zhiwen

Date Posted: 01/14/2019 at 5:10am
Okay! I agree that they are close to the table so maybe it suits well. 

That is impressive!! Is she a pro that changed from short pimple to inverted? Imagine all the time she put down to become good at the short pimple and then change. How is she doing now? ahaa, maybe she do not use it so much. 

Okay, thats interesting. I think you need better footwork with short pimple. and i do not think you should loop with your pimple.  Are your short pimple very soft? since it is possible to have not crazy good footwork and almost loop. 

Date Posted: 01/14/2019 at 8:23am

That is impressive!! Is she a pro that changed from short pimple to inverted? Imagine all the time she put down to become good at the short pimple and then change. How is she doing now? ahaa, maybe she do not use it so much. 

Okay, thats interesting. I think you need better footwork with short pimple. and i do not think you should loop with your pimple.  Are your short pimple very soft? since it is possible to have not crazy good footwork and almost loop. 

I knew a chinese coach who looped very spinny with 651 and 032 blade . Lula what players play with pips in sweden and what equipment do they use?

Date Posted: 01/14/2019 at 8:52am

I knew a chinese coach who looped very spinny with 651 and 032 blade . Lula what players play with pips in sweden and what equipment do they use?

Yes, okay! of course it works to loop with short pimple but i find it strange. Short pimple is made for Smashing, if you want to loop i think you should use an inverted rubber instead since it works much better to loop with inverted.

Hard question! I do not know if there are more players with pips in Sweden than in other countries, but we have some coaches that is good at equipment and to teach how to use it. And i would think that if some people find success with it, like Mattias Falck or Fabian Åkerström, then other players will also start to use it. 

I think Rakza PO is quite popular since Mattias Falck use it, Haifu Dolphin and Penguin is also pretty popular i think and i also know some guys that use the medium pips keiler. But i think it is hard to say that everyone uses a certain pips rubber, there are proably many different rubber out there in sweden. 

Date Posted: 01/14/2019 at 11:57pm

Yes, okay! of course it works to loop with short pimple but i find it strange. Short pimple is made for Smashing, if you want to loop i think you should use an inverted rubber instead since it works much better to loop with inverted.

Hard question! I do not know if there are more players with pips in Sweden than in other countries, but we have some coaches that is good at equipment and to teach how to use it. And i would think that if some people find success with it, like Mattias Falck or Fabian Åkerström, then other players will also start to use it. 

I think Rakza PO is quite popular since Mattias Falck use it, Haifu Dolphin and Penguin is also pretty popular i think and i also know some guys that use the medium pips keiler. But i think it is hard to say that everyone uses a certain pips rubber, there are proably many different rubber out there in sweden. 

Interesting , there are good chinese short pip players like ahn shu and huang dawei and maybe some other good players . There s a chinese player called sun jian .do you know what pips is he using?

Btw my coach told me that yo cant smash all the time when you play sp and penhold you need to loop too

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 4:41am
No, i do not know what he ws using when he played in Sweden. Something boosted, think it was pretty soft. 

I agree with your coach that you need to chose the right balls, but if you loop more than you smash you should change to inverted. If you can smash all the time and you are not missing, then i think you could smash all the time. 

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 9:38am
Pips players have always used loops to change the rhythm of the game and at the same time set up a smash. The pip loop is a very effective weapon. I see no need for change rubber and style of play just because western countries teach easily learned inverted games. 

-------------

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 9:49am
I agree that variation is important But i Do not agree that a loop with a short pimple is effective. I think a loop with short pimple is close to useless But of course it depends on the level. I think good players Will pretty easily kill the ball if you loop with short pimple But Maybe Im wrong. I Do think a slower smash could be good for variation. Maybe We mean the same thing.

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 10:02am

I agree that variation is important But i Do not agree that a loop with a short pimple is effective. I think a loop with short pimple is close to useless But of course it depends on the level. I think good players Will pretty easily kill the ball if you loop with short pimple But Maybe Im wrong. I Do think a slower smash could be good for variation. Maybe We mean the same thing.

In my experience pro sp players have more spinnier loop than 2500 inverted players sometimes the incoming spin is so heavy that shakes your raquet

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 10:05am
He Zhiwen retired a couple of years ago from Spain's national team at age 54 and then ranked in the top 100 in the world. Not bad for his age and not bad for a pure short pips style of play. He would use a well placed loop to set up a smash attack. Yes his loops could be attacked if his oponent was ready for them, but there lies the strategy of the pips player. He uses a well placed surprise loop ( I should have used this term before in my earlier post) to elicit a weak return and then attacks the looper with a smash when the looper is close to the table. 

-------------

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 11:36am
The thing about good SP blockers/hitters, from what I see, is that they don't care if they are attacked. So if they perform a 'weak loop' it's going to be to a spot on the table where they are confident the opponent's attack can be returned. 

If you do a bad loop to an easy place for your opponent, well... you can expect to have it killed.

But with good placement, the SP player is ready to either block it back or hit it back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOwhWX9e92A

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by gnopgnipster gnopgnipster wrote:

He Zhiwen retired a couple of years ago from Spain's national team at age 54 and then ranked in the top 100 in the world. Not bad for his age and not bad for a pure short pips style of play. He would use a well placed loop to set up a smash attack. Yes his loops could be attacked if his oponent was ready for them, but there lies the strategy of the pips player. He uses a well placed surprise loop ( I should have used this term before in my earlier post) to elicit a weak return and then attacks the looper with a smash when the looper is close to the table. 
I would say not only well placed, but also disguised loop. When I loop with SP my opponent never knows the amount of spin because it´s not like an inverted rubber loop, so he is not used to it.
It´s usual my opponent block my loop into the net because it does not have the spin he figured it had.

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 4:26pm

you absolutely have no clue what you are talking about, a loop/roll shot will always be neccessary if you want to attack balls lower than the net, it's not only effective to setup your kill shot but also a pure neccessity.

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 5:38pm
I really do think that i know what i am talking about since i played this style myself for over 10 years at a pretty high level, and i also had the same coach as Mattias Falck for many years. I think that some of the comments here are from people that do not have used short pimple so long but i think it is a little rude to say that they have no clue what they are talking about. 

i think you are correct and misunderstood me. In my opinion it is pretty obvious that you can not smash every ball and need to loop when the ball is not at his highest point and lower than the net. If you followed the discussion from the beginning, you could see that i wrote that you should try to to smash when you can but you need to chose the correct balls. 

So of course you need to loop to open the ball against a push and when the ball is lower than the net like you say. So it is a necessary shot like you say but this is not a good ball for a short pimple rubber since you do not get much spin compared to inverted and that it is difficult to play hard at push compared to inverted. That is why i said looping is close to useless with a short pimple, i think it is compared to an inverted rubber and should be avoided if possible. I do not think we can call this shot effective for a short pimple player.  If you look at Mattias Falck one of his weakest shot is when he open with the short pimple against a push. Good players use that he do not got so much spin on the ball and they know he have it very difficult to play hard the first ball, so they know it will be a pretty soft ball with little spin so they can counterloop his opening loop pretty well. 

A short pimple is made for smashing, and if your footwork is not good enough to take the ball at the highest point so you can smash and instead need to loop all the time maybe you should try playing with an inverted instead. I do think it is difficult to play at a somewhat high level if you are going to loop with a short pimple to much, good players will destroy you if you do that ball. 

Edit: Unrelated question! Do other people have trouble loading the page or is it just me? Thanks! 

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 7:47pm
Well ofcourse the open up isnt a strong shot of sp rubbers but like others have pointed out, it can be a surprisingly tricky shot since it can be quite spinny or totally dead. The trajectory can be also more difficult so i dont think that shot would be easy to counterloop always.

You keep saying if you like to loop stick with inverted well nobody was really doubting or argueing with that here.

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 8:00pm
I think that it is possible to loop spin and Nospin with inverted also so i think good players are used to this and Do not have so much trouble against the opening with short simple. I also think good players can read the spin pretty well so they still can counterloop this ball pretty okay.

But i agree that the trajectory can be a little different.

At a not so high level i think players can have more trouble Reading the spin of the opening loop with a short pimple rubber.

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 8:03pm
Something to add to the discussion I think a sp forehand rubber is pretty useless for shakehand players. I am a flat hitter myself with a more powerful forehand smash than backhand punch. I tried both short pips on my forehand and backhand. Hitting and blocking was pretty accurate and more flat but I had huge problems with serve recieve and being out of position. Like you said with short pips you always have to hit the ball at the highest point so good footwork is needed. Hitting the ball at the highest point seems a lot easier with backhand in many situations.

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 8:32pm
Okay. Haha i play with short pimples on the forehand with shakehand. But i agree that Maybe it is more effective at the backhand since alot player play fast there and bigger stronger strokes on the forehand. Maybe We often play a little closer to the table with the backhand so it is more naturally to hit it at the highest point there?

I find it surprising that you had trouble with the returns since the pimples is not so sensitive for spin.

Are you tall? I and even more Falck is considered to be to tall to use it on the forehand. Or atleast my and Falcks old coach Said that the chinese thought you should not be over 180 cm to play with pips on the forehand. I think they think so because We taller players almost come over the highest point so We need to lower the racket more or bend the legs more while shorter players get the highest point at a better place so they can just smash. I also think taller players need to play a little further away since We need the space But short pimples is better close to the table. I also think We taller players can be a bit heavier on the feet so it migth be difficult to move as fast.

How long Did you try it on forehand? It is diffixult in the beginning But fun in the long run.
If you have a flat hit at both bh and fh Maybe you can try pips on both sides But that playing style is very diffixult i think. But there are two players here in Sweden that play that way in the second highest league so it is possible to play good that way.

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 9:05pm
Yes i am relatively tall (1.84 cm) so that might be one of the reason the short pips are not working very well. I struggled with returns because I normally use a very brushy over the table loop to open up against half long+ serves that felt really akward with pips.Falcks game seems very far from a classic flat hitters game, his over the table short play is exceptional and like you said he takes a lot of distance and looks comfortable hitting from even the 2nd position. His technique is also pretty different from most flat hitters.

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 9:28pm
I just studied a match of Matias Falck and what I was trying to say is that his game is more definied by his tricky serves
,excellent short touch play and very strong backhand loop, he only uses his forehand to kill the ball but he is not really looking to step around and use his flat hit forehand as much as possible

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 9:29pm
Yes, harder to Do the first loop with pimples. Everything that has ro Do with making spin is better with inverted i think. I think his forehand technique looks okay. Sometimes i think he can have the angle of the racket a little to close But i think that is possible since he play with really soft short pips so it is more lika an inverted rubber. I think he can be tall and not crazy fast since he has very good backhand. He is very backhand oriented compared to many players i think, especially compared to the old short pimple penhold players. But Maybe the needed to be without rpb.

I agree that he is very good over the table and has a really nice return game.

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 9:41pm
We posted almost at the same time, I absolutely agree but these qualities he posseses are very uncommon for most flat hitters. Most flat hitters I know prefer open rallies and use direct kill shots as much as possible. So what I mean is that I would not want to say that people should encourage short pips forehand for shakehanders based on the succes of Mattias ( not that you were doing that) it just seems like a hype on the forum ( compare it with mima ito) I think ito's style is a lot closer to a classic flat hitter. But putting
Moristo sp on your backhand is not going to make you play like her. I do think short pips on backhand is very interesting and I am going to experiment further with it. The change of pace and sinking effect really intrigue me.

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 10:02pm
Yeah i saw that! No, i Do not think they should use it because if him. But if you have a natural flat hit like you seems to Do and Do not want to change the technique or try changing the technique But still have trouble making spin i think they could give it a try. I think there is some hate against using different materials sometimes like it would be cheating or something like that. Atleast where i am from. I think people should try if they want to.

i alao think there are a rather misconception that some people think it is easier to play with short pips But i think it is the opposite since you really need to go for the shot because you want to smash as much as possible and it is also diffixult to always hit the ball at the highest point. I think inverted is more forgiving since you can loop more with spin.

Yeah go for it and try! Why not! What pips are you using now? Maybe you can try some pips without grip. It Will be harder to make spin But you Will get more effect and a nice sinking effect so there are good possibilites to change the pace.

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 10:02pm
I think there are 2 main groups for sp forehand with shakehanders. And both are backhand oriented, aside from a few who used the forehand to attack with sp.

Group 1 - inverter backhand, plays mainly off that and uses forehand sp for flat kills or finishes. I've done this style as well, utilizing spinny wrist flicks off the bh to receive high blocks and then fh smash those.

Group 2 - junk rubber on the bh, uses this 80% of the time just about. Fh sp is for finishing weak returns, or ones too passive when the opponent gets scared of the bh returns. Good for low mobility players

Group 3, rarer than the rest but still high level - sp fh for most their shots, looking to smash and finish points. Inverter backhand for serving and blocking or looping when required. Li jia wei had that kind of aggressive fh but still a deadly bh if required

The new age pips can be very spinny, and give very little actual pip effect. Impartial xs, spin pips, etc.

Date Posted: 01/15/2019 at 10:10pm
Group 4
Short pips on both side. Not common. But there are a few sucessfull players in Sweden.

I think that people Do not try pips mostly because they Do not have the knowledge.

Me, Falck and the ones with pips on both side i know of all had the same two coaches.

Date Posted: 01/16/2019 at 8:01am

Yeah i saw that! No, i Do not think they should use it because if him. But if you have a natural flat hit like you seems to Do and Do not want to change the technique or try changing the technique But still have trouble making spin i think they could give it a try. I think there is some hate against using different materials sometimes like it would be cheating or something like that. Atleast where i am from. I think people should try if they want to.

Yeah go for it and try! Why not! What pips are you using now? Maybe you can try some pips without grip. It Will be harder to make spin But you Will get more effect and a nice sinking effect so there are good possibilites to change the pace.

People in my environment always have discouraged me to use pips. Luckily I was able to do pretty well with double inverted especially when I learned how to loop and flick properly ( reached the 2nd highest level in my country) but looping is not really my natural stroke, I'd rather flat hit as fast as I can. So last year I started with short pips on my forehand (Impartial XS) I think I could do pretty well with it but my coach was strongly against it. So I switched back to my regular T05/T64 and did pretty well. With double inverted tho I have the feeling that I should improve technique wise to improve even further whicj is rather hard to do since I've been practicing a lot for the last 4 years and my tendency and strong points are flat hits and hard counters. So after seeing this Mima Ito playing I was like I'd better try something new to see if I can improve more.

I am using Tibhar Speedy Soft Dtecs on my backhand which is quite popular among SP players here, it's very disturbing and pretty fast aswell.

Date Posted: 01/16/2019 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Skyline Skyline wrote:

People in my environment always have discouraged me to use pips. Luckily I was able to do pretty well with double inverted especially when I learned how to loop and flick properly ( reached the 2nd highest level in my country) but looping is not really my natural stroke, I'd rather flat hit as fast as I can. So last year I started with short pips on my forehand (Impartial XS) I think I could do pretty well with it but my coach was strongly against it. So I switched back to my regular T05/T64 and did pretty well. With double inverted tho I have the feeling that I should improve technique wise to improve even further whicj is rather hard to do since I've been practicing a lot for the last 4 years and my tendency and strong points are flat hits and hard counters. So after seeing this Mima Ito playing I was like I'd better try something new to see if I can improve more.

I am using Tibhar Speedy Soft Dtecs which is quite popular among SP players here, it's very disturbing and pretty fast aswell.

Do you play with tibhar dtects on FH?

Date Posted: 01/16/2019 at 8:18am
No on my backhand, for forehand I would prefer a spinnier pip.

Date Posted: 01/16/2019 at 9:46am

I am using Tibhar Speedy Soft Dtecs on my backhand which is quite popular among SP players here, it's very disturbing and pretty fast aswell.

Why was he strongly against it? i think he resonate strange. If you do not have so spinny strokes, you have natural flat hits and these shots are your strengths i can not see why he thinks you should play with inverted. Like i said before, if you want to loop with short pimple i think it is better to have inverted, but if you want to flat hit with inverted it would proably be better to use short pimple. 

I do not know your coach, but i can imagine that if he do not know much about pimples and how to play with them he then thinks you should avoid them and use inverted. 

And i think if he want you to play with inverted, he need to help you to get more spin on the shots. 

I have been a coach for many years for kids, and i think that closing the angle of the racket so you hit over the ball and then accelerate with the forearm(and wrist on the backhand) is the most important things to be able to get spin on the loops. 

Date Posted: 01/16/2019 at 10:09am
Yes you are right that might coach is not very knowledgeable about short pips especially on the forehand side. I'm interested to know more about you and your coach. Getting lessons from a pimple expert would be awesomw

About the increasing spin thing, this is rather hard for me especialy on the backhand side. On my bh I have a pretty spinny and consisted opening and I can hit some nice loops but I always prefer to be slightly further back as I like to contact the ball later. I can't seem to brush the ball and go over it on highest point on fast bh exchanges closer to the table ( I'd rather hit against the ball)

Date Posted: 01/16/2019 at 11:14am
Yes, but it is a pretty unusual playing style so i can understand that. The two coaches i mentioned is good with material in general and is somewhat known in Sweden that the put short or long pimples on alot of players. They have example also trained Fabian Åkerström as you might know. I would not consider me a people expert, but i think i maybe know a little more in general about it since i played with short pimple for so long. The two coaches i mentioned i would not call pimple experts either because they are very good as coaches in general, but they have proably more knowledge about pimples than the average coaches. I can imagine that a part of why they are good at it is that they are not afraid to try different materials. 

From what i have learned from been playing with pips for a while is that it is important to focus at:

Hit the ball at the highest point, if you hit it lower you can not smash and if yu try you will proably miss since you do not get any arch like an inverted. so good footwork is very important. 
Have a an open racket angle. Since you do not want spin and want to hit flat you should have an open racket angle
if you want to smash you need to accelerate and do an explosive motion. you want to 
Have a short contact with the ball so you need to stop after you have hit the ball. 
Important to have good shot selection. Like you said you sometimes can not smash because the ball is to low and i feel that sometimes players want to hit all the time but then they will miss. 
try to do the same stroke and move the legs instead. This is important for all players but maybe more for short pimple players. 

I also think that you maybe need to practice alot more since playing with short pimple since it is a game with small margins. It is that because you really need to go for the shot and do an explosive motion if you want smash. if you are not explosive enough you the ball will just die and nothing will happen. And with less spin, the ball will not go in an arch and then land on a table, it will just go straigth and out. Because of this it is really important to hit the ball at the highest point, so need better footwork so really can do that cause the lift with pips when you come wrong is not as good as the loop with inverted.

I think that if you have a spinny loop and want to play further back and hit the ball later it would proably suit you better to use a inverted rubber. But that is just my opinion. 

Maybe you have the same problem as me. When i want to loop hard on the backand i usually drop the racket down. So if i am further away and contact the ball a little later this is perfect for me since then i get the ball by the racket. But this do not work for me since i can not smash forehand then. 

By dropping the racket i also have trouble go over the ball and loop forward when i am close to the table since the ball is over my racket and the only way for me to hit the ball is to hit upward and brush behind the ball so i get alot of arcch and spin but no power. But i want power, so i need to lift up my elbow higher so the ball is by the racket, then i can come over the ball and hit forward and get a harder ball. I think many do the same fault as my, that they do not have the racket high enough. If you try to have the racket higher up you proably will be faster and have more time to hit the backhand at fast exchanges. Look at the chinese when they play against topspin, they have the racket very high. And we do only need to lower the racket against backspin, since we need to bring the ball up, but against topspin it is already topspin in the ball so it is not necessary to drop the racket low. 

I have talked way to much now, and i do not know if this make sense. hard to explain technique with texh but hopefully it maybe can help you a little. 

Date Posted: 01/16/2019 at 5:26pm
Thanks a lot for your advice, what your saying actually makes a lot of sense and yes I have the same problem and dropping the racket habit. I guess its just difficult for us tall players to maintain a good position of the racket. I'm thinking of going to table tennis academy at Eslov this summer, do you know if it's any good?

Date Posted: 01/16/2019 at 6:01pm
Try looking at the pros, some have the racket very high against topspin. 

Where you from? 

I have been at a camp at Eslöv when i was young. Not the funniest place on earth haha. Very very small place. 

Are you going to join theirs training group or are they having a camp? 

Eslöv is highly regarded in Sweden as a good tabletennis place! I think there is alot of good players there and good coaches so it is proably good! Peter Sartz is a coach there and i think he knows his stuff. 

Halmstad is also a good tabletennis city in sweden! They proably have a good training group and good coaches! Tickan, old national player in Sweden and used to be Swedens coach is a coach there. Fredrik Håkansson, also old national player is also a coach there. 

Söderhamn is good aswell! I have also been there at a camp, you can live above the training hall so it is very practical. They also have good players and good coaches. Peter Blomkvist, current swedish coach is a coach in söderhamn. I also think Thomas von Scheele, old national player and coach might be coaching there but i am not sure. 

I you are going to a camp i do not know how good the opponents are,but if these places have a camp i think alot of players will come, proably some good aswell and they will proably have good coaches aswell. 

How old are you? i think that if you are going to a camp it will be alot of kids, teenagers and young adults. So i do not know how you feel about that. 

And if you are going in the summer and also want vacation i think Halmstad is a pretty nice place to be in the summer. 

If you are older maybe you can try Japskos camp for adults. But these are often just one weekend. And they players are not crazy good, so it might not be good practice for you. But i think it vary alot from ccamp to camp and sometimes they have good sparring.  Marcus Sjöberg, one of my old coaches that knows alot about equipment owns the company so he is often a coach at those camps so you could proably get alot of help with the short pimple play. I went to one of those camps, mostly to get help  from the coaches since the standard of the players were not very high but some where good so it worked. The coaches there were Marcus Sjöberg, coach for England, Peter Blomkvist, coach for Sweden and Jon persson, national player in Sweden. So if you find the right Japsko camp it could benefit you alot. 

I know that Japsko offer video analysis, where you send your video to Sjöberg and he gives you tips. Maybe this could be something for you. i do not know the cost thou. Do not know if their site is in English, but if you are interested i could help you translate if the site is just in swedish. I also know that Sjöberg does some private coaching, and if you go to sweden maybe you can contact him about it. 

Let me know what you chose! 

Date Posted: 01/17/2019 at 7:17am
Thank you so much for the tips and information. Halmstad and Soderhamm sounds like very interesting options. I am 26 years old, so training with kids under 15 would be not my preference, but 16 years and older seems fine for training.
Is it possible to come a week or two to train at those places in July for example?

The japsko place also sounds interesting especially the video analysises and knowledgeable equipment coaches. I normally do prefer places with strong sparring partners though.

Wasn't Thomas Von Scheele the guy sponsored by nittaku being famous for his backhand punch?

I'm also interested to know the name of mattias falcks old coach/your coach and the place where he is coaching.

How about alf knutsson I heard he is the guy who coached waldner at a very young age.

Date Posted: 01/17/2019 at 9:32am
Okay! i would imagine that the kids that play there regurlary are very serious so it is possible that they are pretty good so i think it could work pretty okay. I  think that all of these places have training camps in the summer, but i am not sure how the level is at them. I would be surprised if they do not have training camps in the summer. If the players in the training groups stay in the summer the opponents proably will be pretty good i think since i believe these places have pretty strong training groups. 

I do not know if it is possible to train there in the summer. It would proably be easiest to attend a training camp if they have one of those. And for their regurlary training i do not know if they have breaks in the summer, but if they do not have that i would be surprised that they do not let you practice there. but how good practice it will be for you, proably depends alot on your level and who they will let you train against. I think it is easiest if you try to contact them and ask them this directly. 

I think the video analysis would give you very much since in my opinion i think the coach knows his stuff. but i do not want to promise anything haha. 

here is the site: https://www.nordictabletennis.com/videoanalyser-25921396 
But it seems that it is only in Swedish. Maybe you can try to translate. 

I can help you a little. With the video analysis the coach analyse three areas: technique, tactics and equipment. They write you a mail and tell you this and you will get a 15 minutes talk with the coach were you can go through the report. 

The cost is: 
1 hour 800 kronor
5 hour 3000 kronor
10 hour 5000 kronor. 

I have almost never seen Scheele play so i do not know. 

Hans Thalin put the short pimple on Falck. I think he works in Karlskrona now for Lyckeby BTK. Marcus Sjöberg is like the novice(is it called this? like student) of Thalin, he worked alot with him when he started out. He is coach at the tabletennis school in Köping, for England and he does camps for Japsko. They have both alot of knowledge and is known to be good with pimples. I have had both of them as coaches and they are also very nice and friendly. 

I think private coaching with them almost will give you the most. I do not know if Thalin does this, but i know Sjöberg does this to some players. If you are going to Sweden maybe you can contact them beforehand and see if they can help you. Maybe i can help you contact Sjöberg, but i think it would be better if you try to contact him through the link above or through japsko. He could also help you with contact to Thalin. But i think these coaches do not have so much time, and have alot of other tabletennis commitments so it migth be very difficult to get private coaching. 

I went to one of his and Mikael Appelgrens camps when i was young. Can not remember much, so do not know if it was any good. I have not heard about him alot and do not know where he is coaching, i also do not know how good he is. 

Date Posted: 01/18/2019 at 12:26am

Okay! i would imagine that the kids that play there regurlary are very serious so it is possible that they are pretty good so i think it could work pretty okay. I  think that all of these places have training camps in the summer, but i am not sure how the level is at them. I would be surprised if they do not have training camps in the summer. If the players in the training groups stay in the summer the opponents proably will be pretty good i think since i believe these places have pretty strong training groups. 

I do not know if it is possible to train there in the summer. It would proably be easiest to attend a training camp if they have one of those. And for their regurlary training i do not know if they have breaks in the summer, but if they do not have that i would be surprised that they do not let you practice there. but how good practice it will be for you, proably depends alot on your level and who they will let you train against. I think it is easiest if you try to contact them and ask them this directly. 

I think the video analysis would give you very much since in my opinion i think the coach knows his stuff. but i do not want to promise anything haha. 

here is the site: https://www.nordictabletennis.com/videoanalyser-25921396 
But it seems that it is only in Swedish. Maybe you can try to translate. 

I can help you a little. With the video analysis the coach analyse three areas: technique, tactics and equipment. They write you a mail and tell you this and you will get a 15 minutes talk with the coach were you can go through the report. 

The cost is: 
1 hour 800 kronor
5 hour 3000 kronor
10 hour 5000 kronor. 

I have almost never seen Scheele play so i do not know. 

Hans Thalin put the short pimple on Falck. I think he works in Karlskrona now for Lyckeby BTK. Marcus Sjöberg is like the novice(is it called this? like student) of Thalin, he worked alot with him when he started out. He is coach at the tabletennis school in Köping, for England and he does camps for Japsko. They have both alot of knowledge and is known to be good with pimples. I have had both of them as coaches and they are also very nice and friendly. 

I think private coaching with them almost will give you the most. I do not know if Thalin does this, but i know Sjöberg does this to some players. If you are going to Sweden maybe you can contact them beforehand and see if they can help you. Maybe i can help you contact Sjöberg, but i think it would be better if you try to contact him through the link above or through japsko. He could also help you with contact to Thalin. But i think these coaches do not have so much time, and have alot of other tabletennis commitments so it migth be very difficult to get private coaching. 

I went to one of his and Mikael Appelgrens camps when i was young. Can not remember much, so do not know if it was any good. I have not heard about him alot and do not know where he is coaching, i also do not know how good he is. 

Would be great if thañin can give dome advices about what pips to use cons and pros of the most used pips

Date Posted: 01/18/2019 at 4:39am
Try contacting Japsko and explain what you are looking for and they can recommend some pimple for you. and it would proably be easiest if you test alot of Pimples yourself. 

Date Posted: 01/18/2019 at 5:30pm

Try contacting Japsko and explain what you are looking for and they can recommend some pimple for you. and it would proably be easiest if you test alot of Pimples yourself. 

Tried a lot but japsko didnt gave me a solution they said a spinnier pip like 802 40 would help me but that plays like smooth

Date Posted: 01/18/2019 at 6:01pm
What Did you ask? I think the pros and cons of the mostly used short pimples is a to big of question and almost No one can answer it if not the person have Tried all those pimple rubbers. I also think the most popular rubbers is very similar with just the different that some have more grip and some have less grip.

Posted By: BH-Man
Date Posted: 01/18/2019 at 6:35pm
OP could PM Speedy...

-------------
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc

Posted By: ericd937
Date Posted: 01/18/2019 at 7:00pm

What Did you ask? I think the pros and cons of the mostly used short pimples is a to big of question and almost No one can answer it if not the person have Tried all those pimple rubbers. I also think the most popular rubbers is very similar with just the different that some have more grip and some have less grip.

No disrespect intended, but I think this is not correct at all. There are a lot of differences between short pimple rubbers. There are many other factors to be consider other than just the grippyness of the topsheet itself. Firstly we must consider the sponge. Even the same topsheet will play much different on OX, 1.5, or max sponge. The sponge thickness makes a huge difference. There are also various different types of sponges available such as hard, soft, medium, tensor, dead sponges, etc...  

Another point of consideration is also pimple alignment. As a shakehand player, I personally prefer horizontally aligned pimples on my backhand side. If you want to make any spin, its difficult to face vertically aligned pimples on your backhand at the correct angle required for spin generation. Vertically aligned pimples are generally more suitable for my forehand side. With vertically aligned pimples on my forehand, I find it easier to adjust the bat angle so that I can make spin balls when I want and flat balls when I want. Also, it all depends on your style of play, your strokes, and how you hold the racket. 

-------------
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.

Date Posted: 01/18/2019 at 10:56pm
Non taken. I know What you are saying and you are correct. But i think the grip matter most and i should have mention sponge thickness But i have a feeling that this Guy has big problem choosing a rubber so i Tried making it easier for him. I also like to write everything i know so people can learn and choose themselves But i can imagine that more information would make it even harder for the Guy to choose. In my opinion it is most important that he focus on the grip and then just try som short pimple too see for himself. But it is nice to hear that someone knows so much about short pimples. Not so common.

Date Posted: 01/18/2019 at 11:00pm

I asked specific things like pips with medium spin with low arc something like a boosted 802

Date Posted: 01/18/2019 at 11:31pm
I think it is hard to answer What pips that have medium spin. What Do you mean with medium? I think the either have more grip so more spin or less grip so less spin. Compared to inverted all pips have lower arch i think. Maybe those with harder sponge and No grip have lower But i am not sure. Why can you not play with a booster 802 then?

Date Posted: 01/19/2019 at 2:29pm

I think it is hard to answer What pips that have medium spin. What Do you mean with medium? I think the either have more grip so more spin or less grip so less spin. Compared to inverted all pips have lower arch i think. Maybe those with harder sponge and No grip have lower But i am not sure. Why can you not play with a booster 802 then?

Andro hexer pips   victas 102 are too sensitive to spin .challenger flarestorm2 raytorm radical are high arc.its a hassle to boost and you need to clean the sponge

Date Posted: 01/20/2019 at 2:15pm
Dear Lula you gave me inspiration to try short pips on both sides. I will try Rakza PO on my forehand soon.

Date Posted: 01/21/2019 at 6:11am

Dear Lula you gave me inspiration to try short pips on both sides. I will try Rakza PO on my forehand soon.

You can try! but i think you need to give it atleast several months before you decide it is not for you. In my opinion it is much more difficult to play with short pimple compared to inverted since you need to hit the ball at the highest point and since the ball go straight because it is almost no spin. And playing with two pimple rubbers i even more difficult! So i think you need to practice alot, move the legs alot and try to hit the same stroke everytime. But i think if you have a natural flathit and have a hard time making spin you could try it. 

Try searching Jonathan Thimon on youtube, it is a junior or is it cadett? national player in sweden using pips on both sides. He was not very good in sweden before, but then Sjöberg put two pimples on both sides and he became the top in his age. 

Try searching Anton Andersson on youtube. Thalin put double pimples on him. 

Try searching Johnny Huang. 

There you have some inspiration. I think it is alot of fun to play with pimples, but difficult. You can se on the videos that it is possible to become good with the style. The two swedish guys are both playing in the second highest league in sweden  i think. Compared to many other countries the level there is high. Johnny huang were a pro, beat Waldner in the olympics. Good luck!

Date Posted: 01/21/2019 at 12:01pm
Could anyone compare waran with spinpips red? I'd be very glad

Date Posted: 01/21/2019 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by serr serr wrote:

Could anyone compare waran with spinpips red? I'd be very glad
I´ve had both but don´t play with any of them anymore. Both were max thickness available.
Waran has a hard topsheet and a regular sponge that I wouldn´t call "tensioned". Balls are not catapulted like it happens with Rakza PO or Impartial XB, those are true tension short pips. Do not believe comments about its speed because it´s not that fast. 
Waran is good to block and flat hit. Spin is just average. A good SP but not for my game.

Spinpips Red is much faster than Waran, however I found this SP has a very short life span. When new, it excels at speed and spin, but after a month it just dies. I can´t explain but it lost all dynamic features that I found amazing when out of pack. I had the same issue with BTY Flarestorm 2, excellent when new and dead after a month.

Control is not great with none of them, both SP are made for attacking game, and they also don´t reverse spin. If you play more defensively I recommend something old school, like Friendship 802 or DHS 652. And if you want a faster (and better, IMO) tension SP I would go with Rakza PO.

Date Posted: 01/21/2019 at 2:51pm
Thanks, very helpful! I'm playing with spinpips red thin sponge on bh and I like to loop a lot so I thought I'd try something spinnier but don't want to give up on SP because I love the sound compared to inverted. Would you still recommend Rakza PO for my backhand?

Date Posted: 01/21/2019 at 3:39pm

Thanks, very helpful! I'm playing with spinpips red thin sponge on bh and I like to loop a lot so I thought I'd try something spinnier but don't want to give up on SP because I love the sound compared to inverted. Would you still recommend Rakza PO for my backhand?
Well, SP on shakehand BH is unknown land to me... I´m a penholder SP with inverted in BH.
But Ito Mima´s Moristo SP looks very good on BH, or maybe it´s just her... have you already tried Moristo SP?

Date Posted: 01/21/2019 at 4:19pm
I heard morsito is bad for blocking so I'd rather try the rakza option

Date Posted: 01/21/2019 at 5:44pm

I heard morsito is bad for blocking so I'd rather try the rakza option

You heard wrong maybe someone who cant handle moristo , maybe is the best sp , not too hard too handle but not easy like smooth with good reversal but bit outdated for 40+. Ito must use a modified.version better than off the shelf version like many pros using SP and LP

Current version doesnt last like it should

Date Posted: 01/21/2019 at 6:03pm
maybe moristo ax then?

Date Posted: 01/22/2019 at 12:59am

maybe moristo ax then?

Not sure. Somebody told me has no sink like smooth rubber

Date Posted: 01/22/2019 at 4:24am
If Ito can play good with moristo, then it is proably nothing wrong with the rubber.

Date Posted: 01/22/2019 at 6:01am
But she almost never has to blocks high quality loops

Date Posted: 01/22/2019 at 6:47am

But she almost never has to blocks high quality loops

I think the loops from the female pros is proably of higher quality compared to many of male amateur players. 

Date Posted: 01/22/2019 at 9:12am

If Ito can play good with moristo, then it is proably nothing wrong with the rubber.

There was a korean chopper sponsored by nittaku her LP was way diffrent compared with stock version , even premium pro nittaku balls are diffrent

Date Posted: 01/22/2019 at 4:04pm
does moristo have good feel? I find most short pips very mushy and slow except that one 802 with orange sponge, it had that sharp feeling with lovely cracking sound, had it only been a little spinnier Cry

Posted By: lasta
Date Posted: 01/22/2019 at 9:34pm

does moristo have good feel? I find most short pips very mushy and slow except that one 802 with orange sponge, it had that sharp feeling with lovely cracking sound, had it only been a little spinnier Cry

Compared to 802, just about all modern pips feel mushy. My conclusion is that sharp cracking feel comes from the hard topsheet. All tensor pips (and inverted for that matter) nowadays seem to go for the soft and thin top sheet trend. Unfortunate really.

Try your 802 on a soft tensor sponge. I find the hard topsheet+soft bouncy sponge amplifies the cracking sound. Although your blade matters even more (very hard to get cracking with alc blades).

On one setup I have 802 over Hexer sponge, would hazard an even softer sponge would feel crispier yet. This combo is faster than the original Hexer pips.

Cheers.

Date Posted: 01/22/2019 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by lasta lasta wrote:

Compared to 802, just about all modern pips feel mushy. My conclusion is that sharp cracking feel comes from the hard topsheet. All tensor pips (and inverted for that matter) nowadays seem to go for the soft and thin top sheet trend. Unfortunate really.

Try your 802 on a soft tensor sponge. I find the hard topsheet+soft bouncy sponge amplifies the cracking sound. Although your blade matters even more (very hard to get cracking with alc blades).

On one setup I have 802 over Hexer sponge, would hazard an even softer sponge would feel crispier yet. This combo is faster than the original Hexer pips.

Cheers.

Hexer pips and 102 have a nice cracking sound . How come you got the hexer sponge? Some sponges are hard to remove with wet towel and iron

Date Posted: 01/22/2019 at 10:13pm
Good point. Some glues are very hard to remove, I've ripped enough sheet to shed a tear. But towel, iron, and time works.

Never tried 102, but (IMO) Hexer is one of the mushiest I've tried, fairly soft pips on medium soft sponge. The old Chinese "cooked" pips are still the best in the crackling department. 802, 802-40, 651 on a tensor sponge is excellent albeit slightly expensive option. TSP spinpips comes second, although still softer vs Chinese pips.

For a cheaper "80% performance" option, the AK47 blue sponge comes close to tensors and topsheet it easy to remove (careful though because the sponge is easy to rip).

Or just get a thinner sponge, instant crisp.

Date Posted: 01/22/2019 at 11:42pm

Good point. Some glues are very hard to remove, I've ripped enough sheet to shed a tear. But towel, iron, and time works.

Never tried 102, but (IMO) Hexer is one of the mushiest I've tried, fairly soft pips on medium soft sponge. The old Chinese "cooked" pips are still the best in the crackling department. 802, 802-40, 651 on a tensor sponge is excellent albeit slightly expensive option. TSP spinpips comes second, although still softer vs Chinese pips.

For a cheaper "80% performance" option, the AK47 blue sponge comes close to tensors and topsheet it easy to remove (careful though because the sponge is easy to rip).

What sponge have you removed? Tried mark v and t05 no luck

Date Posted: 01/23/2019 at 12:09am

What sponge have you removed? Tried mark v and t05 no luck

I keep getting error messages and lost the post.

I also had no luck with T05 and Xiom's carbon sponges, seems like the topsheet would melt before the glue gives way. Let me know if you find a way because the Xiom especially seems like a durable high bounce sponge.

As for me, not enough to be an expert, but so far tried: spinpips red, hexer, AK47, Adidas blaze spin, waran, and most of my Chinese pips. Chinese sponges are easier to peel as they are (except for AK47) non-brittle. The TSP sponge ripped, waran's was very easy to remove.

Regarding your earlier question, I didn't like Hexer pips at all so sacrificed a nearly new sheet just to get the sponge lol. At least the sponge is great!

Date Posted: 01/23/2019 at 3:14am
What about 802-40 on waran sponge?

Date Posted: 01/23/2019 at 8:34am

What about 802-40 on waran sponge?

Waran doesnt have the same sponge asit used to be, my last 2 sheets feels harder

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net