Print Page | Close Window

the equipment frustration

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=86220
Printed Date: 04/29/2024 at 10:32am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: the equipment frustration
Posted By: pingpungpeng
Subject: the equipment frustration
Date Posted: 06/16/2019 at 5:25pm
So after viscaria + t05
After joola rhyzer + tibhar chila
After donic persson powerplay + donic coppa gold
After dhs long 5 + t05
You name it, I tried it....

I went to the slowest equipment on planet earth.
Tibhar lebesson, sanwei t88-I fh, sanwei target bh.

And yesterday I lost to all the guys who have a similar level to mine.
3-0, 3-1
It wasn't very close.

Conclusion?

Equipment DOES NOT MATTER.

I can play with anything inverted and it doesn't make a difference.
The difference is how often I train and how intensively I do.

There, I said the truth, now you can start talking about mjamja's shadow tt in the toilet followed by kayaking in the amazonas and getting his racket eaten by a crocodile.

Replies:
Posted By: purpletiesto
Date Posted: 06/16/2019 at 5:50pm
But you didn't try dignics... How can you be so sure? 

Posted By: serr
Date Posted: 06/16/2019 at 6:25pm
So you went for a slower racket and immediately started losing. That implies equipment does matter, I don't know what your logic here is.

Date Posted: 06/16/2019 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by serr serr wrote:

So you went for a slower racket and immediately started losing. That implies equipment does matter, I don't know what your logic here is.

No, I played with the slow setup many times.
In the beginning I thought maybe it made a small difference, cause I had a couple of good victories (I always play with the same guys inthe club)
Yesterday it was clear.
It doesn't matter.
What matters is how often I play, how much I train, how fast I am, how agile I am...

Posted By: Ieyasu
Date Posted: 06/16/2019 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by pingpungpeng pingpungpeng wrote:

What matters is how often I play, how much I train, how fast I am, how agile I am...

Yep... just watch Lubomir Pistej play with a hard bat. I think he could destroy most forum members with it.

Posted By: benfb
Date Posted: 06/16/2019 at 10:11pm

Conclusion?

Equipment DOES NOT MATTER.

The sentence is incomplete. It should say "Equipment does not matter for ME" (meaning you).

I can think of many people who's playing style is not much affected by choice of rubber.  In fact, mjamja's recent posts of FH choice of rubber (it doesn't seem to matter which he uses) may reflect that for *him* and "his style*, the choice of rubber doesn't matter.  Even in that case, there are limits; all the rubbers he's tried have sticky top sheets and I'm not sure how it would affect his game if he changed to something radically different.

The real point is that the choice of rubbers for amateurs is very personal, because our styles and techniques tend to be very unique to each of us.

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 06/16/2019 at 11:09pm
I would say that equipment matters in that sufficiently bad equipment choices can make you worse. 

I would also say that there are gazillions of blades and rubbers made for pretty much the same kind of player and that given a bit of time to get used to the subtle changes needed to accommodate the properties of any one blade rubber combination, the following will happen: 

You will still be you.

Posted By: vanjr
Date Posted: 06/17/2019 at 7:36am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I would say that equipment matters in that sufficiently bad equipment choices can make you worse. 

I would also say that there are gazillions of blades and rubbers made for pretty much the same kind of player and that given a bit of time to get used to the subtle changes needed to accommodate the properties of any one blade rubber combination, the following will happen: 

You will still be you.

well said. equipment matters. training matters more. you can make things worse, but lots of equipment choices that are more similar than dissimilar.

Posted By: fmarek
Date Posted: 06/17/2019 at 8:18am
Please someone explain this person that there are 2 camps out there: 

C: tacky hard "dead" rubber + flexible blade 
E: grippy bouncy rubber + stiff blade.

People would do mixes and variations to compensate for their weaknesses and to emphasise strengths.

Jumping in between these two classic categories is not gonna work "out of the box". In that sense equipment choice matter a lot.

I agree with OP to great extend that t05 or Dignic or Rakza (you name your tensor) - it does not matter as long as you are in the category E. 
Similarly,  Hurricane or 729 or Sanwei - all have minor differences and easily adjusted in 2 weeks time. But you make sure to stay in category C.

Who needs training these days LOL !? Ask forum member how to deal with spin and off you go. Oh, foot work. Right. Well screw it, just buy another faster racket ;)

P.S.
People are asking / inviting me to join competitions season. My response is - "not yet, I rather spend all these fee money with my coach then come back next season and beat you having Sanwei FEXTRA ($23) blade and Yinhe Mercury 2 rubbers ($7 x 2)

-------------
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1

Date Posted: 06/17/2019 at 11:48am
which leads me to truth number 2.

it doesn't matter if this season I'm training like a maniac, if I spent 5000 dollars on private training, if I went to 3 training clinics.
if next season I barely played I will suck regardless of the training I did the previous year and whatever equipment I am using at the moment.

what matters is how much I trained/played/how fit I am close to the point in time when I am playing.
close I mean 1 month ago or less.

training done in previous years helps a bit, but it has much much much less weight than recent training time.

now you can go back to talking about which blade is good for the 9th ball when the air is humid and I am playing with a nittaku 2 star abs airbag polykamousious ball.

Posted By: tom
Date Posted: 06/17/2019 at 11:51am
Originally posted by purpletiesto purpletiesto wrote:

But you didn't try dignics... How can you be so sure? 
funny

Posted By: wilkinru
Date Posted: 06/17/2019 at 1:12pm

training done in previous years helps a bit, but it has much much much less weight than recent training time.

Hmm. Well if someone put in a lot of work at one point and gained a greater understanding/ability in TT...is it like a riding bike? I think so. I think once you get that better forehand (or whatever) you never really lose it.

What the training up to the event does is make sure the contact is solid, timing is correct, equipment adjustments and over all TT fitness.

Equipment matters to me - a little bit. I can't use Chinese inverted rubber (or pips or anti). My counter-hitting and pushing just dies. I'm used to the euro/jp catapult. Nothing wrong with Chinese rubber, but it is just a little too different to quickly switch. Now given practically any inverted euro/jp rubber I pretty much play the same and I'm sure could adjust in a few hours and in that sense, you are quite right. Body, footwork, ball reading, returning, serving, all of that matters so much more.

-------------
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted

Posted By: Fulanodetal
Date Posted: 06/17/2019 at 1:54pm
For a beginner trying to learn to loop properly, it would be an impossible task if he/she was using this equipment:

Try looping with these things...its impossible for a beginner. How can you teach looping to someone if the equipment does not allow the person to loop?

EQUIPMENT DOES MATTER!

Otherwise we would all be using the same freaking bat and the same freaking rubbers. The less expensive ones.

Yes at some point the difference is minimal. But for a pro, those differences, even if imperceptible to the casual club player, mean a lot!

Yes they can beat a casual club player with an iphone or a sandal, whatever,but when they are facing another pro, equipment plays an important role.

FdT

Posted By: SmackDAT
Date Posted: 06/17/2019 at 2:47pm
I think the word you are all looking for is diminishing returns

-------------
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW" rel="nofollow - https://goo.gl/bFWoxW

Date Posted: 06/17/2019 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by serr serr wrote:

+1

-------------
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)

Date Posted: 06/17/2019 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by Fulanodetal Fulanodetal wrote:

For a beginner trying to learn to loop properly, it would be an impossible task if he/she was using this equipment:

Try looping with these things...its impossible for a beginner. How can you teach looping to someone if the equipment does not allow the person to loop?

EQUIPMENT DOES MATTER!

Otherwise we would all be using the same freaking bat and the same freaking rubbers. The less expensive ones.

Yes at some point the difference is minimal. But for a pro, those differences, even if imperceptible to the casual club player, mean a lot!

Yes they can beat a casual club player with an iphone or a sandal, whatever,but when they are facing another pro, equipment plays an important role.

FdT

I'm only talking about inverted rubbers.
I said it many times....

Posted By: FruitLoop
Date Posted: 06/17/2019 at 7:08pm
It does matter but just, once you get into the "reasonable" realm of proper equipment it does not matter much.

Posted By: TT newbie
Date Posted: 06/17/2019 at 7:24pm
Of course equipment matters, it makes a big change in the strokes a player must execute to win points.
I have a very clear example, my main setup is Ovtcharov Carbospeed + Omega V Tour + T05.
But I wanted to try a backup blade I have (Ma Lin Carbon) and glued an unboosted H3N + AK47 Yellow. This thing simply did not have power enough to win the points I´m used to do. So, I was forced to put more power and errors were multiplied. Lost 2 matches in a row to my practice partner, whose level is the same of mine.
Then got back to my main setup and won the third match winning points the way I always do.

Date Posted: 06/17/2019 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Of course equipment matters, it makes a big change in the strokes a player must execute to win points.
I have a very clear example, my main setup is Ovtcharov Carbospeed + Omega V Tour + T05.
But I wanted to try a backup blade I have (Ma Lin Carbon) and glued an unboosted H3N + AK47 Yellow. This thing simply did not have power enough to win the points I´m used to do. So, I was forced to put more power and errors were multiplied. Lost 2 matches in a row to my practice partner, whose level is the same of mine.
Then got back to my main setup and won the third match winning points the way I always do.

Well of course you need time to get used to the new equipment.
But after you do, you might find nothing has changed.

Today played some more with the setup of the humble man.
Lebesson, t88-I, target
Won some, lost some.... In the end, nothing has changed.

Posted By: Basquests
Date Posted: 06/18/2019 at 4:14am
They need to teach rational thinking and the scientific method at school. 

A better educated population reaps rewards everywhere, most importantly in TT discourse 

Posted By: dajdosta
Date Posted: 06/18/2019 at 1:34pm
This is wrong in many aspects

Posted By: dajdosta
Date Posted: 06/18/2019 at 1:35pm

which leads me to truth number 2.

it doesn't matter if this season I'm training like a maniac, if I spent 5000 dollars on private training, if I went to 3 training clinics.
if next season I barely played I will suck regardless of the training I did the previous year and whatever equipment I am using at the moment.

what matters is how much I trained/played/how fit I am close to the point in time when I am playing.
close I mean 1 month ago or less.

now you can go back to talking about which blade is good for the 9th ball when the air is humid and I am playing with a nittaku 2 star abs airbag polykamousious ball.

This is wrong in many aspects

Posted By: piligrim
Date Posted: 06/18/2019 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

because you have to get used to new racket. If you will play with Ma Lin Carbon few weeks you will get same results as with Carbospeed :)

Posted By: jonyer1980
Date Posted: 06/18/2019 at 6:01pm
I can't believe  how some people ate able to extract any conclusion that soon ejing from one set-up to another.  Even EJ pros state that spend a half a year  in order to master any testing blade.

How you can be so daring to have that early conclusions with a couple of matches with your club partners?

I think that requires much more extended testing& longer time to get a proper conclusion. 

-------------
Rosewood V FL

Nittaku Fastarc G1-FH

Stiga DNA Pro-S MAX BH

Avoid any Butterfly stuff... at abusive prices. Raw power without control means nothing

Date Posted: 06/18/2019 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

I can't believe  how some people ate able to extract any conclusion that soon ejing from one set-up to another.  Even EJ pros state that spend a half a year  in order to master any testing blade.

How you can be so daring to have that early conclusions with a couple of matches with your club partners?

I think that requires much more extended testing& longer time to get a proper conclusion. 
I thought the goal of EJs are to go thru as many equipement as quickly as possible Smile

Date Posted: 06/18/2019 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by jonyer1980 jonyer1980 wrote:

it's just that you don't read.
I said I played many times with this chinese setup.

Date Posted: 06/18/2019 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Borrowing a term from cycling, people who EJ are often looking for "marginal gains" as they switch from one blade to another and one rubber to another, often among items with quite similar properties.  Every once in awhile someone finds one.  But a lot of the time it is just an endless cycle and, as someone else mentioned, a lot of people switch around pretty quickly.  Actually, at one point I did that a lot, often deciding after a single session that a particular rubber was not going to work out (but I at least I had more or less decided on Butterfly ALC blades a long time ago).  In retrospect, a big waste of time and money.

At some point I just got tired of trying new stuff, and have sold most of the stuff I will never use.

(By the way, I still have two Ovtcharov True Carbon ST blades if anyone is interested).

* The concept of marginal gains in road cycling as propounded by British Cycling and later Team Sky is that if you make enough tiny changes that give you a barely detectable advantage -- a gram here, a couple of watts there, they will add up enough to amount to a significant edge.  Problem is that in TT that aren't that many things we can mess with.

Posted By: jackwong23
Date Posted: 06/19/2019 at 1:53am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Originally posted by SmackDAT SmackDAT wrote:

Borrowing a term from cycling, people who EJ are often looking for "marginal gains" as they switch from one blade to another and one rubber to another, often among items with quite similar properties.  Every once in awhile someone finds one.  But a lot of the time it is just an endless cycle and, as someone else mentioned, a lot of people switch around pretty quickly.  Actually, at one point I did that a lot, often deciding after a single session that a particular rubber was not going to work out (but I at least I had more or less decided on Butterfly ALC blades a long time ago).  In retrospect, a big waste of time and money.

At some point I just got tired of trying new stuff, and have sold most of the stuff I will never use.

(By the way, I still have two Ovtcharov True Carbon ST blades if anyone is interested).

* The concept of marginal gains in road cycling as propounded by British Cycling and later Team Sky is that if you make enough tiny changes that give you a barely detectable advantage -- a gram here, a couple of watts there, they will add up enough to amount to a significant edge.  Problem is that in TT that aren't that many things we can mess with.

deleted

Date Posted: 06/19/2019 at 1:54am
Equipments do matter,  Ask Ma long to use 1980s dhs rubbers and blade without boosting and he will probably lose all his matches. 

Posted By: DLC1325
Date Posted: 06/19/2019 at 2:40am
When it comes to equipment making a difference, I often think of the matches I've watched where (European) pros look at their racquet after a missed hit as if the rubber didn't react as expected (often slippage or a dead ball). I cannot think of a single time I've seen a Chinese player do that. 
Not to say my match views are all encompassing, but more often than not it seems to hold true, and those mis-hits might be the difference in the match at pro levels.

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75309" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 06/19/2019 at 9:47am
Originally posted by jackwong23 jackwong23 wrote:

Equipments do matter,  Ask Ma long to use 1980s dhs rubbers and blade without boosting and he will probably lose all his matches. 

ask him to use his 2019 rubbers and blade without booster and he will loose all his matches as well LOL

Date Posted: 06/19/2019 at 10:06am
equipment does not matter as long it matches your game quite well - not talking about some unsuitable combination.  Do not talk about the pros - I don't think this applies to (almost) any of forumers 

Date Posted: 06/19/2019 at 10:48am

ask him to use his 2019 rubbers and blade without booster and he will loose all his matches as well LOL

yes, quite true, fully agree with you. 

Posted By: dontpip
Date Posted: 06/21/2019 at 10:03pm

[sarcasm] Equipment really does not matter. A pro can beat a beginner with a clipboard  [/sarcasm]

Date Posted: 06/24/2019 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by dontpip dontpip wrote:

[sarcasm] Equipment really does not matter. A pro can beat a beginner with a clipboard  [/sarcasm]
Equipment choices can matter.  But often it seems not to. 

Posted By: Fulanodetal
Date Posted: 06/24/2019 at 10:34pm
I can't be the only one who finds it ironic that a forum member, known to advocate for the banning of pips, to declare that equipment doesn't matter. LoL!!!

FdT

Posted By: Pondus
Date Posted: 06/24/2019 at 11:42pm
Equipment matters, but doesn't improve your game, in my humble opinion. Personally, I think the best strategy is to find equipment that best compliments your style of play, and then stick with that equipment to built consistency. The changes in equipment from there should be fairly minimal - like changing from T05 to T05H, for example. I think a lot of people go about it somewhat backwards - as in they get some equipment and then try to make their game work with it. Not really the best way to progress. The one downside to building consistency with familiarity (in equipment) is that it's not really fun. Meaning, it's probably more fun for most to try out new stuff and such. But if you look at most top players, they've generally played with the same stuff since they were teenagers at least - with, what I would call, minimal changes since then.

Posted By: Pondus
Date Posted: 06/24/2019 at 11:52pm
Originally posted by DLC1325 DLC1325 wrote:

When it comes to equipment making a difference, I often think of the matches I've watched where (European) pros look at their racquet after a missed hit as if the rubber didn't react as expected (often slippage or a dead ball). I cannot think of a single time I've seen a Chinese player do that. 
Not to say my match views are all encompassing, but more often than not it seems to hold true, and those mis-hits might be the difference in the match at pro levels.

It's funny you mention that, because it is such a classic move for many to do after a missed shot. I remember people doing this all the way back in the early 80s. I think it's a bad habit that many adopts, more than anything. Like saying "cho", for example. (not that saying"cho" is bad, but that it easily becomes habitual). I don't think people actually look at the rubber with a sense of it mis-performing, but more so to see if there's a piece of debris or a drop of sweat or something like that on it. The same way people will wipe the table surface after a miss. I mean "it must be something that's 'wrong' with the table... or the rubber... because I couldn't POSSIBLY miss that shot" is what is trying to be communicated. Sort of silly, of course - and with no ill intend. It's interesting that you say Chinese players don't do that. I must admit I've never noticed. Perhaps that type of reaction/habit would be frowned upon in China - I don't know. Regardless, I certainly don't think any kind of "questioning the equipment" should be read into these reactions.

Date Posted: 06/27/2019 at 12:28pm
it matters to an EXTENT

-------------
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)

Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 06/27/2019 at 12:59pm
About looking at their racket after a missed shot: I remember Kong Linghui doing it during his 2003 1/2 final v. Schlager. "what's going on???"

The full match is available, better than those 7 min highlights...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nf_YcaIVvI" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nf_YcaIVvI

Schlager's face at 12-12 in the 7th!!! He was not going to lose that day!

-------------
/forum/topic91512_page1.html#1124698" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Date Posted: 06/27/2019 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by stiltt stiltt wrote:

About looking at their racket after a missed shot: I remember Kong Linghui doing it during his 2003 1/2 final v. Schlager. "what's going on???"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nf_YcaIVvI" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nf_YcaIVvI

Schlager's face at 12-12 in the 7th!!! He was not going to lose that day!

my detonators.....

Date Posted: 06/29/2019 at 6:41pm
Today's setup was

Donic crest off
Joola rhyzer 48 in fh
Joola rhyzer 48 in bh

Felt pretty good to go back to fast equipment.
Much easier to play in general.
Results were also good.

I don't think I'll be going back to the slow paddle for now....

Posted By: blahness
Date Posted: 06/29/2019 at 7:17pm

Today's setup was

Donic crest off
Joola rhyzer 48 in fh
Joola rhyzer 48 in bh

Felt pretty good to go back to fast equipment.
Much easier to play in general.
Results were also good.

I don't think I'll be going back to the slow paddle for now....

Lol you're really an EJ eh....

-------------
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(

Date Posted: 06/29/2019 at 7:25pm
When it's about speed rating, the fun factor is huge when we are not pro and a little bit of leeway is allowed; what's the point of having the best to favor technique if we're bored to death?

What does a bit of leeway mean though? 

My best level was probably with MJ with Palio blitz on both sides, it was not too fast even though on the paper, many high level coaches would say it's too fast for my U2k level. 

Today I have things like BBC Hinoki Ghost and it's OFF. What I think my main setup is? 2 Vega Pro FL 73 and 74g with Rasanter R47 and/or Fastarc G-1 and I find them a bit tamed from the MJ, it really is a MJ that went vegan or something...My MJ SZLC falls into the nonsense fast at my level but it's cool to feel, really cool, in a drawer, just to have it so I don't think about it anymore lol.

For an amateur under 2k wanting speed but not stupid fast, that's where I would stop, right before hitting the regular MJ level. The Vega Pro is my best example (they can be found under 85 gr easily) and they are very solid, never hollow and present no vibrations even when very light; or a Barwell Fleet? HL5? the list is long. The point is anything OFF is controllable for a player hitting often enough and having ok foundations.

edit: the Vega Pro blade is discontinued but some are still FS in ST and FL at paddle palace and various Amazon stores like the http://www.amazon.com/s?me=A2Z8WXH83LXGV" rel="nofollow - PingPongHouse  for example.

https://www.amazon.com/XIOM-Vega-Pro-FL-Blade/dp/B012BHU4PK" rel="nofollow - https://www.amazon.com/XIOM-Vega-Pro-FL-Blade/dp/B012BHU4PK

-------------
/forum/topic91512_page1.html#1124698" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Date Posted: 06/29/2019 at 8:16pm
I don't remember feeling "wow, that shot would have gone in with the slow setup".

But I did feel the contrary a few times.
"wow, there's no way I could have done that shot with the slow setup".

mainly in shots where I didn't have much time and had to use the power of the racket.

is this possible?
is it easier to play with faster bouncier setup?
this seems to be the conclusion.

Date Posted: 06/30/2019 at 1:37am

Yes! Now I remember this match and Kong looking at his racket like "WTF?". See, I was totally wrong. 

-------------
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75309" rel="nofollow - My Feedback

Date Posted: 06/30/2019 at 4:17am
at 1m10s it's clear the rubber is not good per his glance?

edit: from DLC1325 says, I think it is at  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nf_YcaIVvI&t=806" rel="nofollow - 13m26sec , at 1-1 in games, klh to serve and leading 2-0. klh almost says exactly that if we read his lips "WTF?"

by the way look at 1 0 in games and 1-1, Schlager to serve twice at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nf_YcaIVvI&t=464" rel="nofollow - 7m44s . Incredible 2 serves, the 2nd one being kind of humiliating LOL. It's hard to believe they can fool themselves at that level yet apparently it's possible. klh does the same later at http://youtu.be/0nf_YcaIVvI?t=1732" rel="nofollow - 28m52s .

-------------

Date Posted: 07/01/2019 at 1:51am

I don't remember feeling "wow, that shot would have gone in with the slow setup".

But I did feel the contrary a few times.
"wow, there's no way I could have done that shot with the slow setup".

mainly in shots where I didn't have much time and had to use the power of the racket.

is this possible?
is it easier to play with faster bouncier setup?
this seems to be the conclusion.
That is YOUR conclusion buddy

-------------
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)

Date Posted: 07/01/2019 at 2:12am
Equipment does not matter ?
Please by all means swap your Viscaria with 
my Dhs PG7. LOL

Date Posted: 07/01/2019 at 4:59am

at 1m10s it's clear the rubber is not good per his glance?

edit: from DLC1325 says, I think it is at  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nf_YcaIVvI&t=806" rel="nofollow - 13m26sec , at 1-1 in games, klh to serve and leading 2-0. klh almost says exactly that if we read his lips "WTF?"

by the way look at 1 0 in games and 1-1, Schlager to serve twice at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nf_YcaIVvI&t=464" rel="nofollow - 7m44s . Incredible 2 serves, the 2nd one being kind of humiliating LOL. It's hard to believe they can fool themselves at that level yet apparently it's possible. klh does the same later at http://youtu.be/0nf_YcaIVvI?t=1732" rel="nofollow - 28m52s .

Yeah, that ball died pretty hard @13:26. And those were some brutal Schlager serves!

-------------

Date Posted: 07/01/2019 at 5:31am

I've had this though a lot lately--I should use a slower blade/rubbers when in reality all my problems could be solved by relaxing more. Personally I find the equipment doesn't make that huge of a difference but my confidence that I can make the ball do what I want with it does. If I tell myself a setup is really fast I tend to tighten up instead of really bringing out the touch.

-------------

Date Posted: 07/01/2019 at 11:32am
I did notice that in some shots I acquired more confidence by using the slower setup.
maybe I will switch between them.
sometimes use the slow, sometimes the fast.
so I don't lose the custom to hit the ball hard I acquired with the slow.

Date Posted: 07/06/2019 at 8:01pm
Today I used a rather strange combination.
Tibhar lebesson
Fh - butterfly rozena
Bh - sanwei target

Kind of the opposite of what the chinese pros use.
Rozena felt really good in the fh.
It gave me a lot of power but I still had control.

I think unboosted chinese rubber in the fh is not for me.
and I don't want to boost.
so I guess I'll have to use euro fh.

In the bh the sanwei I like it because I can hit super hard.
I think this is actually improving my bh technique.

For now I will keep using this setup.....

Date Posted: 07/06/2019 at 10:29pm
I'm going to play with an ALL+/OFF- looping blade instead of my usual OFF/OFF+ stiff, fast blade and see what happens. From past experiences I'm certain I would play better and enjoy the game more with the looping blade. I'm so conditioned to fast, stiff blades this is probably going to suck for a while!

-------------

Date Posted: 07/06/2019 at 10:45pm
last time I used a donic crest off.
hard, fast, but it's around 95g and with a rather big head.

lebesson is like 83g and with a small head.
the lower weight and smaller head felt pretty good.

power there's more than enough with the butterfly rozena.
it's a pretty fast rubber....
actually after using unboosted h3 for some time it really feels like a rocket.

Posted By: fmarek
Date Posted: 07/07/2019 at 2:32am
pingpungpeng, based on what I saw in this thread you've done pretty much everything possible to ruine your TT game: often change rubbers and blades and also very important - weight of setups. All of these fun exercises destroy your muscle memory, well there is not much to remember for your body and brain. 

Any setup you choose requires time to get used to. 20 hours of play - at least. If you need an advise ...

Since your EJ is not going to go anywhere soon one of the ways to put you back on track is this. Have two setups. Do not change anything in one of the setups for 2 months. No matter what, you loose or you win, just do not change. For EJ fun have another setup but play it no more than 30 minutes in the beginning of every training. It will give you time to satisfy EJ but also will not have too much effect on the rest of the training. Body takes 30 min to warmup anyway. After you feel like warmed up, go for prime racket and keep it for the rest of the evening. For 2 months.

Regardless of what you are going to choose as main racket, either slow or fast, head heavy or well balanced ... in the end of the second month you will like it (the first signs of it will come in 3 weeks). 183 - 188g is the best.

Obviously you can skip the second setup all together, if you can. Can you?

-------------
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1

Date Posted: 07/07/2019 at 11:58am
Originally posted by fmarek fmarek wrote:

pingpungpeng, based on what I saw in this thread you've done pretty much everything possible to ruine your TT game: often change rubbers and blades and also very important - weight of setups. All of these fun exercises destroy your muscle memory, well there is not much to remember for your body and brain. 

Any setup you choose requires time to get used to. 20 hours of play - at least. If you need an advise ...

Since your EJ is not going to go anywhere soon one of the ways to put you back on track is this. Have two setups. Do not change anything in one of the setups for 2 months. No matter what, you loose or you win, just do not change. For EJ fun have another setup but play it no more than 30 minutes in the beginning of every training. It will give you time to satisfy EJ but also will not have too much effect on the rest of the training. Body takes 30 min to warmup anyway. After you feel like warmed up, go for prime racket and keep it for the rest of the evening. For 2 months.

Regardless of what you are going to choose as main racket, either slow or fast, head heavy or well balanced ... in the end of the second month you will like it (the first signs of it will come in 3 weeks). 183 - 188g is the best.

Obviously you can skip the second setup all together, if you can. Can you?

I have already reached my training and physical skill peak.
Right now I'm on the way down.
So I'm not trying to reach anything.
I just play for fun.

I don't even train now, I just go, warmup and play some matches.
just once a week.

also I don't have any more options to try.
so for now it stays lebesson, rozena in fh, sanwei in bh.

donic crest off with joola rhyzer both sides is also in the same bag, so it may jump to the playing field every now and then.

ohh.... there's another problem.
I have coming
-729-08
-dhs h3 37 degrees
-haifu whale III soft

so I'm gonna have to give them a try sometime.

Star

Date Posted: 07/08/2019 at 10:05am
I agree with both of the last two posts even though they seem contradictory.  For sure fmarek is correct BUT there are people who have reached an honest assessment of their level and what makes the game fin, and a subset of those get a lot of pleasure out of trying out new stuff.  Just know why you are being an EJ for best results, whatever camp you are in.

Date Posted: 07/08/2019 at 11:13am
I'm not really trying to reach my best possible performance obsessively.
I don't care much about rankings and ratings and who I beat and who beats me.

I'm more like the mad scientist of table tennis at this point LOL

Date Posted: 07/08/2019 at 8:16pm
today missilized the crest off with joola rhyzer 48 both sides.
it's a good combo but....

1- the crest felt pretty hard compared to the lebesson.
I'm not sure this is good.

2- I lost a match

so.... not sure, next time might go back to lebesson.

Date Posted: 07/16/2019 at 9:58pm
Well I went from Yasaka Ebony Carbon (90g, 7+2, hard, stiff) to Waldner Senso Carbon (79g, 5+2, softer, decent flex) with Max MX-S, Rakza X, H8 and it made very little difference. Looping was slightly easier, a few more balls landed on the table, but serve/receive didn't change and I beat/lost to the usual opponents. For me, I can't say one is better than the other. 
Hell, I even used my wife's $15 HRT Crysal Carbon blade with 1.9 Air Illuminas and everything was the same. My loops were just as spinny, etc., etc. Maybe I will take my wife's advice and just use a piece of plywood from Home Depot with some tire rubber. Tongue

-------------

Posted By: MartyC
Date Posted: 07/17/2019 at 3:34am
When is equipment well chosen , is not reason for next changes , but EJ virus  is definitely against.
My best advice is similary as Fmareks advice - to have secondary equipment for fun  , but all forces  concentrate for main setup.
Second advice - more oriented sight on fitness , footwork , tactics e.t.c.
I know , it is not very popular , but it is effectiwe way for progress.

-------------
OSP Expert CRWi FL, Donic Bluegrip S1 max , Spinlord Killer Ex. 1,8mm

Date Posted: 07/17/2019 at 9:47am
Originally posted by DLC1325 DLC1325 wrote:

Well I went from Yasaka Ebony Carbon (90g, 7+2, hard, stiff) to Waldner Senso Carbon (79g, 5+2, softer, decent flex) with Max MX-S, Rakza X, H8 and it made very little difference. Looping was slightly easier, a few more balls landed on the table, but serve/receive didn't change and I beat/lost to the usual opponents. For me, I can't say one is better than the other. 
Hell, I even used my wife's $15 HRT Crysal Carbon blade with 1.9 Air Illuminas and everything was the same. My loops were just as spinny, etc., etc. Maybe I will take my wife's advice and just use a piece of plywood from Home Depot with some tire rubber. Tongue

we're slowly opening the eyes of the world!!!! LOL

Posted By: vvk1
Date Posted: 07/17/2019 at 12:13pm

today missilized the crest off with joola rhyzer 48 both sides.
it's a good combo but....

1- the crest felt pretty hard compared to the lebesson.
I'm not sure this is good.

2- I lost a match

so.... not sure, next time might go back to lebesson.

I'd dearly love to see a clip of the "missilization". Was it a high throw trajectory after the loss? :-)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net