Print Page | Close Window

Need a faster Viscaria

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Equipment
Forum Name: Equipment
Forum Description: Share your experience and discussions about table tennis equipments.
Moderator: haggisv
Assistant Moderators: position available

URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=88864
Printed Date: 04/18/2024 at 10:23am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Need a faster Viscaria
Posted By: TT newbie
Subject: Need a faster Viscaria
Date Posted: 09/20/2020 at 8:35pm
I´m used to ALC blades such as Viscaria and Timo Boll Spirit, but I decided to go to something faster keeping the same soft feeling. I thought first about Iolite but it´s not sold anymore. 
So what could be a faster blade with same Viscaria feeling? Not necessarily a Butterfly blade.

Replies:
Posted By: mykonos96
Date Posted: 09/20/2020 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

I´m used to ALC blades such as Viscaria and Timo Boll Spirit, but I decided to go to something faster keeping the same soft feeling. I thought first about Iolite but it´s not sold anymore. 
So what could be a faster blade with same Viscaria feeling? Not necessarily a Butterfly blade.

Yasaka alnade

Posted By: andzejgolot
Date Posted: 09/20/2020 at 10:29pm
I dont know  i choose different material too

Drinkhall power spin
Or spzlc type of blade
Joola energon 

Posted By: AcudaDave
Date Posted: 09/20/2020 at 10:43pm
Joola Freeze...I've sold a few at my club now. It's as fast if not faster and it has great feeling for the ball.  It's become a very popular blade at my club.

-------------
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH

Posted By: kolevtt
Date Posted: 09/21/2020 at 3:20am

How many grams is your current blade?
I think you can try with XIOM Stradivarius.
I have a great sample with ST handle and "fish" look koto outer plies.
Almost no vibration blade, that's pretty rare. And has a very good speed.

Posted By: Simon_plays
Date Posted: 09/21/2020 at 6:30am
Did no-one else think when reading the topic 'No you don't'? TongueWink

Date Posted: 09/21/2020 at 7:31am
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

I always expect this type of answer...

Date Posted: 09/21/2020 at 7:36am
Originally posted by kolevtt kolevtt wrote:

How many grams is your current blade?
I think you can try with XIOM Stradivarius.
I have a great sample with ST handle and "fish" look koto outer plies.
Almost no vibration blade, that's pretty rare. And has a very good speed.
Mine is 88g. However I´ve had a Strad before and found it harder than Viscaria, and not so faster.
I´d like something noticeable faster. I liked Iolite but can´t find it anymore... yes, I can say I´m looking a blade like Iolite.

Posted By: Tt Gold
Date Posted: 09/21/2020 at 8:28am

+1 Guess he represents his nameWink

But in all seriousness, a heavier viscaria is the best option. Or go for faster rubbers.

Posted By: Baal
Date Posted: 09/21/2020 at 8:58am

Almost my exact reaction  

My translation was "I want to try a faster Viscaria" to which I added  "and once I satisfy my curiosity I'll go back to the Viscaria".  Remember to judge by all the shots you have to play and not just forehand topspin.

Its not because I'm some sort of TT wizard, I've been down that road.  A long time back, but the same road.

Posted By: DonnOlsen
Date Posted: 09/21/2020 at 9:03am
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

Joola Freeze...I've sold a few at my club now. It's as fast if not faster and it has great feeling for the ball.  It's become a very popular blade at my club.

If I may ask; what club is this?

Thanks.

-------------
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.

Date Posted: 09/21/2020 at 9:05am
But if the EJ virus is too strong to resist, then try a ZLC blade, say, a ZJK-ZLC.

Posted By: Vince64
Date Posted: 09/21/2020 at 9:56am
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

If I may ask; what club is this?

Thanks.
Spinblock Table Tennis Club in Indianapolis, In.

-------------
ustabletennisresults.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408008237063185

Posted By: Simon_plays
Date Posted: 09/21/2020 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Almost my exact reaction  

My translation was "I want to try a faster Viscaria" to which I added  "and once I satisfy my curiosity I'll go back to the Viscaria".  Remember to judge by all the shots you have to play and not just forehand topspin.

Its not because I'm some sort of TT wizard, I've been down that road.  A long time back, but the same road.

Timo Boll's TTD video review of his own blade (the older one where he still plays with T05) makes this point when he says how it was easy to use ZLC and SZLC for fast topspin shots. However, it's awkward spin ups and the close game where the faster blades let you down.

Posted By: AMonteiro
Date Posted: 09/21/2020 at 12:41pm

I would order a custom from SDC Blades (Portugal). You can work on details, maybe same construction with thicker core.

-------------
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR

Posted By: tzifosF1
Date Posted: 09/21/2020 at 12:58pm
Is the Yinhe V14 or V14Pro  that you can find around 45$ from Aliexpress  valid options?

-------------
current: Yinhe 980 | FH: AK47 Blue 2.1mm | BH: Curl P1r 1mm
looping: Yinhe W-6 FH: AK47Red 2.1mm BH: AK47Blue 2.1mm
to-be-used: DONIC DefPlay Senso3 | FH: Rakza 7 soft 1.8mm | BH: SpinPipsChop 2 1.4mm

Posted By: KLHfans
Date Posted: 09/21/2020 at 1:36pm
Hi:

I would think the Golden Viscaria is the faster version of the Viscaria and the closest feeling.
It's slightly heavier due to more wood composition and maintain the same feeling as the regular Viscaria.
Liu Shiwen actually used Golden Viscaria (instead of her previous Liu Shiwen ZLF) to win her first
world championship women single title in 2019.  

regards,

klhfans

Date Posted: 09/21/2020 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by tzifosF1 tzifosF1 wrote:

Is the Yinhe V14 or V14Pro  that you can find around 45$ from Aliexpress  valid options?
I have a V14 Pro, it´s just a bit faster than Viscaria. I´d like something faster than that.
I tried a clubmate´s Primorac Carbon, it has the speed I like but not the touch, too hard for me.

Posted By: anubhav1984
Date Posted: 09/21/2020 at 6:16pm

I have a V14 Pro, it´s just a bit faster than Viscaria. I´d like something faster than that.
I tried a clubmate´s Primorac Carbon, it has the speed I like but not the touch, too hard for me.

Primorac Carbon is a good two notches above Viscaria in terms of speed TBH. Try Apolonia ZLC once. It may be a good option to look at.

Also, given that your current Viscaria is 88gms, i would recommend getting one that is in the 92-94gms range. I had a 87 gm Viscaria once and now own a 90 gm Viscaria and the 87 gm feels like a different blade now. 

From what I was told, Viscaria's optimal performance really starts coming out in the 90+ gms range.

-------------
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided

Posted By: blahness
Date Posted: 09/21/2020 at 8:13pm

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Almost my exact reaction  

Timo Boll's TTD video review of his own blade (the older one where he still plays with T05) makes this point when he says how it was easy to use ZLC and SZLC for fast topspin shots. However, it's awkward spin ups and the close game where the faster blades let you down.

The more speed you gain in the topspin game, the less control you will have in the short game. It's always a balance.... 

-------------
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(

Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 09/21/2020 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by anubhav1984 anubhav1984 wrote:

Primorac Carbon is a good two notches above Viscaria in terms of speed TBH. Try Apolonia ZLC once. It may be a good option to look at.

Also, given that your current Viscaria is 88gms, i would recommend getting one that is in the 92-94gms range. I had a 87 gm Viscaria once and now own a 90 gm Viscaria and the 87 gm feels like a different blade now. 

From what I was told, Viscaria's optimal performance really starts coming out in the 90+ gms range.
I am with Anubhav all the way. I have an Apolonia and I never bought anything else since (I think). I have owned 5 different Viscaria blades and the one that was the best was the 92gr one, what a well domesticated beast it was! Only the EJ thing and not wanting to accumulate made me keep going with the trading.

My Apolonia is 88 grams and I'd be a fool thinking I can find anything better with a difference in play that I can feel or that would matter for my game.

Try finding an Apolonia AND a Viscaria both between 92 and 95 grams and let us know your tests with the same rubbers. For sure you will sell easily the one you do not want to keep because they are both very popular so there is not much waste here (only the shipping cost of the one you let go). Do not get shy because of the balance, the shoulder or wrist problems coming from 6 or 7 more grams or other gimmicky arguments against weight are maybe true for achieved athletes who practice 40 hours a week but not for you (wild guess) nor for me. In case you want more speed on the fh loop and smash only and it is important to keep the total weight the same, go with your favorite rubber on the fh and lighter ones on the bh to get those 6 grams back.

Good luck!

EDIT: roaming the forum on my way back from work, I saw Eric's post after yours about a spinny light rubber that I never tried:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=88505&PID=1102350&title=victas-v11-extra-review#1102350" rel="nofollow - http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=88505&PID=1102350&title=victas-v11-extra-review#1102350

-------------
/forum/topic91512_page1.html#1124698" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Date Posted: 09/21/2020 at 9:18pm
I agree about Viscaria weight.  92-93 grams is optimal.  

Posted By: lasta
Date Posted: 09/22/2020 at 4:42am
A 93g black tag fish scale Viscaria will solve your problem.

Posted By: yogi_bear
Date Posted: 09/22/2020 at 8:57am
tmount t540

-------------
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Posted By: notfound123
Date Posted: 09/22/2020 at 10:21am

I would either:
-- get faster rubbers and keep the blade as is.
-- seal your blade and keep the rubbers

Either way you will end up with a slightly faster set up and the feeling won't change for the most part.

Posted By: andzejgolot
Date Posted: 09/23/2020 at 12:20pm
energon super pbo c is still the best choice here
yogi with his zjk zlc is good choice too.
after  some matches with different blades I can add
Dynasty carbon (not xu xin because it is slower version) with good weight
AZX Xiom with alc/zlc
Drinkhall powerspin still is good fast choice
Andro Treiber CO

and of course new Viscaria/Lin G is good choice to

Date Posted: 09/23/2020 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

I would either:

Either way you will end up with a slightly faster set up and the feeling won't change for the most part.

Just remember if you seal your blade enough to make it faster, there is no going back.

Posted By: chongqinghotpot
Date Posted: 09/23/2020 at 3:24pm
I have spent quite some time and money to try to find a faster and better blade than Vis. My conclusion is a heavier vis is the one. I love my 93 gram vis but unfortunately I can’t find a new heavier one. 

-------------
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64

Posted By: Tt Gold
Date Posted: 09/23/2020 at 6:18pm

[/QUOTE]

The more speed you gain in the topspin game, the less control you will have in the short game. It's always a balance.... 
[/QUOTE] except for when you gain speed through improving your skills. But EJ’s hate that trick

Date Posted: 09/23/2020 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by notfound123 notfound123 wrote:

I would either:

Changing rubbers is not an option for me. I spent a lot of time testing rubbers to find what I consider the best for my game. I won´t do it anymore.

Posted By: stiltt
Date Posted: 09/23/2020 at 9:04pm
I have an idea. Look at my  http://mytabletennis.net/forum/topic88785_page1.html#1102230" rel="nofollow - FS ad there  and pay attention to both the 2 BBC Hinoki Ghost and the 4 Butterfly Lindmae Special.

The Hinoki Ghost at that weight are very powerful, if not more than a Viscaria and I guarantee a huge sweet spot with no vibration at all and a very soft and gentle feel. They can be played as is. This is a huge design in terms of insight, read about it.

I wrote they can be played as is because the 99 grams Lindmae Special are too heavy for modern rubbers but because they are oversized, you could shave them to the dimensions of a regular Butterfly blade and you can also cut the back of their pretty long handles a bit. You'd end up with a stiffer and faster blade because there will be less material to absorb the shock and more energy will be transferred into a faster bounce. It might become too stiff for your liking though but I just considered the idea after nobody would buy them. I wonder why was that, 99 grams ST carbon fast blades are valuable, especially when they come in a bunch of 4 of them all matching! I think only old people who like to finish the ball fast will like it LOL I should just keep them.

If you want to test them I can send one of each to you free of charge (except you pay shipping both ways, Paypal only,I hope you are close to Seattle, WA) to test for a month or so but you can't cut any of them LOL. I am just curious about what a guy who pays very much attention to detail has to say about those 2 blades that I like a lot. You spent a lot of time and money into focusing a setup to fit a game, your game, and I understand you want to keep the best you found out. 

I noticed nothing sells now because people are afraid that they won't be able to resell if they buy just to test. The table tennis blades testers are taking a hit in the face from Covid but if it hurts them it means they didn't get the disease right? 

This proposal is just about amortizing the lack of testing fiestas we are suffering. I understand if you do not want to spend any money to test something relatively cheap and inferior to the mighty Viscaria in terms of image only.

-------------
/forum/topic91512_page1.html#1124698" rel="nofollow - sales - forum_posts.asp?TID=19315" rel="nofollow - feedback

Posted By: Vlad0
Date Posted: 09/24/2020 at 2:39am
I'm curious to know what are these rubbers and their thickness that make 88gr. Viscaria slow. I can try them to tame my 90gr. one.

-------------
TB ALC 86gr + D09c/T05

Date Posted: 09/24/2020 at 7:27am
Originally posted by Vlad0 Vlad0 wrote:

I'm curious to know what are these rubbers and their thickness that make 88gr. Viscaria slow. I can try them to tame my 90gr. one.

Try Stiga Mantra

Posted By: emihet
Date Posted: 09/28/2020 at 1:38pm
find a viscaria 93-94 grams
I also found a ZJK ALC a touch Faster and a Timo Boll ALC 92 grams or heavier

-------------
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades

Posted By: emihet
Date Posted: 09/28/2020 at 1:40pm
or if you have the budget to do it...order a custom order viscaria and increase the core by 0.2 mm

-------------
Viscaria, Ma Long 5, Old Clippers, BTY Ovtcharov and Various Custom blades

Posted By: Skynet
Date Posted: 09/29/2020 at 3:21pm

Are you still looking for a Viscaria update? If so, why not take a look at the Nexy Oscar? Similar construction as Viscaria etc., exept that the top ply is made of hinoki, which gives it a slightly softer feel and a bit more catapult compared to the "dead" koto of the Viscaria. Slightly thicker, too (6.2 - 6.3 mm). Could be the one you're looking for...

Date Posted: 09/29/2020 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Skynet Skynet wrote:

Are you still looking for a Viscaria update? If so, why not take a look at the Nexy Oscar? Similar construction as Viscaria etc., exept that the top ply is made of hinoki, which gives it a slightly softer feel and a bit more catapult compared to the "dead" koto of the Viscaria. Slightly thicker, too (6.2 - 6.3 mm). Could be the one you're looking for...
Old Iolite had Hinoki top layer but was even thicker with 7.5mm
This one might be a good option, thanks for the tip.

Posted By: fmarek
Date Posted: 10/04/2020 at 9:20am

Speed expectations are up to player, maybe his blade is too light or something.

When I saw "keeping the same soft feeling", I was like wtf? :)

-------------
729 Green Goblin 5, FH: 729 Battle II National H39, BH: Palio HK1997 Gold.
DHS Long 5, FH: 729 Battle II Gold H40, BH: Nittaku C1

Date Posted: 10/04/2020 at 9:23am

Absolutely valid, even though ply materials are different :))

-------------

Date Posted: 10/04/2020 at 11:17am
Originally posted by fmarek fmarek wrote:

Don´t you think Viscaria has a soft feeling? Compared to Primorac Carbon it is very soft.

Posted By: Shifu
Date Posted: 10/04/2020 at 1:16pm

Don´t you think Viscaria has a soft feeling? Compared to Primorac Carbon it is very soft.

Yes, but in general any Koto outer ALC blade is considered quite hard.

Date Posted: 10/04/2020 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Fabian1890 Fabian1890 wrote:

Exactly. 

I am really puzzled by the way OP describes feeling, koto is crips and not soft at all, while primorac having hinoki wood on the top just cannot be hard. However I never played primorac carbon, I dont know. It is the one which is considered to be the fastest blade in the universe? Hinoki + T5000 carbon?

-------------

Posted By: Valiantsin
Date Posted: 10/05/2020 at 12:45am

. It is the one which is considered to be the fastest blade in the universe? Hinoki + T5000 carbon?

There is also good old piece of brick yinhe t4s, so not sure if PC is fastest 

Posted By: yogi_bear
Date Posted: 10/05/2020 at 5:30am

Exactly. 

I am really puzzled by the way OP describes feeling, koto is crips and not soft at all, while primorac having hinoki wood on the top just cannot be hard. However I never played primorac carbon, I dont know. It is the one which is considered to be the fastest blade in the universe? Hinoki + T5000 carbon?

Primorac carbon is indeed stiff. A tad lower than Sardius. 

-------------
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach

Posted By: kolevtt
Date Posted: 10/05/2020 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

Exactly. 

Primorac carbon is indeed stiff. A tad lower than Sardius. 

Primorac Carbon especially 2nd series with metal tag is probably the fastest ever made Butterfly blade together with some Gergely samples, but the difference is mostly connected Gergely has another balance. Not sure about Sardius, because never had a wish to own this model. I have tested it only from a friends, I could say it is different as feeling too.

I am not absolutely sure, because I have no proof, but W.Schlager used exactly 2nd series Primo Carbon FL with Schlager Carbon handles to get the World Championship's Gold Medal in 2003 in Paris, right? It was discussed long time ago.

I still keep one ST sample from these Primo carbons 2nd series and wondering what to do with it.
It is really fast and always fun to play with if you are able to handle the speed.

Posted By: bars
Date Posted: 10/22/2020 at 1:18am
what about heavier viscaria.

or more glue :)

Date Posted: 10/22/2020 at 10:11am
UPDATE:

Following tips here, I got a heavier blade, but not Viscaria. 
I went to a 93g ZLC blade (Zhang Jike) and I can say I´m satisfied now. The blade is not soft at all, but has the speed I was looking for. 

Posted By: Johnny Erasure
Date Posted: 10/28/2020 at 7:43pm
I have a Viscaria from 2009 (serial J) which has 97g. It's very speedy, has more speed than my ZJK SZLC. I can't play with it, never find a Viscaria with such power.

-------------
Blade: JM ZLC
Rubbers: FH Dignics 09C
            BH Dignics 05
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63937&KW=Johnny+Erasure&PID=764628&title=feedback-for-j

Posted By: chongqinghotpot
Date Posted: 11/01/2020 at 5:20pm
So what are you going to do with it? Do you want to sell or trade it?

-------------
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64

Posted By: kindof99
Date Posted: 11/01/2020 at 10:25pm
I have a 95g S series Viscaria and a 106g P series Viscaria. They feel solid. The 95g one weighted at 95g when I bought it new. The 106g one was sealed, but the sealant layer is not that thick (can not feel the sealant when I move my finger on the blade face.)

-------------
/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65174&title=feedback-for-kindof99" rel="nofollow - My Feedback | /forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77924" rel="nofollow - Sale

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net