Print Page | Close Window

shake hand grip

Printed From: Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET
Category: Coaching & Tips
Forum Name: Coaching & Tips
Forum Description: Learn more about TT from the experts. Feel free to share your knowledge & experience.
Moderator: yogi_bear
Assistant Moderators: APW46, smackman
URL: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=89858
Printed Date: 04/29/2024 at 8:28am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: shake hand grip
Posted By: kindof99
Subject: shake hand grip
Date Posted: 03/31/2021 at 9:38am
I am still experimenting different ways of grip. There are two different ways of grip that are rarely discussed. In pictures below, grip 1 uses the three lower fingers to wrap around the handle first and the thumb and index fingers can be more free to push on the handle. For Grip 2, the thumb and index are used to hold the paddle tight first and the lower three fingers are merely put on the handle.

I feel grip 1 is more stable and relaxed (you don't feel muscle tension on the back of the palm), but grip 2 has more flex and might produce more power for snap. What are your thoughts on these two grips? What grip do most professional use?

-------------
/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65174&title=feedback-for-kindof99" rel="nofollow - My Feedback | /forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77924" rel="nofollow - Sale

Replies:
Posted By: pitigoi
Date Posted: 03/31/2021 at 10:03am
I spent some time researching this, and it was discussed here before.

My observation:
Most Chinese and young players use grip 2 ("knife"), which helps with BH attacks.
Some older FH-oriented players (Fang Bo, Timo Boll) use grip 1 ("hammer").
But most change their grip according to the shot.

At my level - whichever is confortable, it does not make much difference.
One issue I am working on is gripping firmly with my pinky on FH shots.

-------------
Right hand: Stiga Allround NCT (74g) /Rasant Grip max/Talon OX red (total 135g)
Left hand, 2020-1: Stiga Allround WRB (67g)/Fastarc G-1 1.8mm/V11 > Extra max 158g
Fitness Friendship Fun

Date Posted: 03/31/2021 at 10:13am
Originally posted by pitigoi pitigoi wrote:

I spent some time researching this, and it was discussed here before.

My observation:
Most Chinese and young players use grip 2 ("knife"), which helps with BH attacks.
But most change their grip according to the shot.

At my level - whichever is confortable, it does not make much difference.
One issue I am working on is gripping firmly with my pinky on FH shots.

If you want stability, grip 1 is the one to go.  And I think one can not grip from 1 to 2 in the middle of a rally. 

For me, grip 2 holds the paddle more with the middle of palm and can the tense sometimes. ALso if you sweat a lot, then grip 2 will make your palm sweaty very quick.

-------------
/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65174&title=feedback-for-kindof99" rel="nofollow - My Feedback | /forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77924" rel="nofollow - Sale

Date Posted: 03/31/2021 at 10:17am
I think the two grips are not about what fingers to use to hold the paddle. Instead, it is about holding the paddle higher or lower, more with fingers (1) or palm (2).

For both grips, all fingers need to be loose all the time except when contacting the ball.

-------------

Posted By: mickd
Date Posted: 03/31/2021 at 8:11pm
I used to use grip 1 but changed to grip 2 after seeing Ma Long say in his instructional that he uses grip 2. Most club members in my area uses grip 1, though.

Posted By: blahness
Date Posted: 03/31/2021 at 8:56pm
I use neither. My grip is quite loose (ZJK also is following this philosophy). There is not much real force in the grip until I hit the ball, in which I rely on the thumb or index finger imposing pressure which creates a moment (force X lever arm from the palm), which adds to the rotational velocity of the bat. 

-------------
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(

Date Posted: 03/31/2021 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

I use neither. My grip is quite loose (ZJK also is following this philosophy). There is not much real force in the grip until I hit the ball, in which I rely on the thumb or index finger imposing pressure which creates a moment (force X lever arm from the palm), which adds to the rotational velocity of the bat. 

How about the stability with only thumb and index finger applying pressure?

I think if you play far from the table, the lower three fingers really help to add more power, forehand or backhand.

-------------

Date Posted: 03/31/2021 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

I used to use grip 1 but changed to grip 2 after seeing Ma Long say in his instructional that he uses grip 2. Most club members in my area uses grip 1, though.

I think for beginner, grip 1 provided more stability and feel.

-------------

Posted By: blahness
Date Posted: 03/31/2021 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

How about the stability with only thumb and index finger applying pressure?

I think if you play far from the table, the lower three fingers really help to add more power, forehand or backhand.

From my experience, if you hold it tight, then there's not much room to explode when you apply power. But at the point of contact, I do apply pressure at the thumb/index finger and squeeze the handle somewhat for the last 3 fingers, I find that it adds a lot of power to the stroke. Learnt this from some Kim Taek Soo videos...

-------------
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(

Posted By: mickd
Date Posted: 04/02/2021 at 3:51am
That sounds like grip 2 to me, blahness. I think most people, including when Ma Long says he grips it with his thumb and index finger, is only talking about at contact, and before contact they would be loosening their grip.

There will always be some degree of pressure applied on all fingers at contact, but I think it comes down to like, do you apply more pressure on the last 3 fingers (grip 1), or the first 2 (grip 2) at contact?

Posted By: DonnOlsen
Date Posted: 04/02/2021 at 9:18am

Hi,

Efforts to technically describe structural aspects of the sport are founded on the finest intentions of clarity.

In Timo Boll's latest book, he devotes 19 pages, many photographs, and an extended discussion of his grips, the grip dynamics, and his recommendations.  It is the finest overview of the key elements of the grip I have uncovered.  The degree of intelligence in these pages is high and expressed in the context of wisdom.

Something approximating this amount of specificity is needed to gain a valued and applicable understanding of the topic of the table tennis grip.

Thanks.

-------------
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net