Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Q2] Correcting Shakehand Grip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ritkuro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritkuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Q2] Correcting Shakehand Grip
    Posted: 02/25/2009 at 1:37am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PZd8G-W1Zw

On this video, I can see that he is holding the racket with the thumb kinda touching the rubber. I can also see his pointer finger pointing downwards instead of pointing it diagonal. What's the diffence?

I have this problem with the shakehand grip. Sometimes I worry to much about the proper grip that I forget my strokes. One of the many things I noticed is that I kinda tilt the racket a lot and the racket tip is pointing horizontally.

On some on Pingskills' video like the forehand counterhit, I can see Jeff holding his racket tip is kinda pointing diagonally

What's the correct grip?
Sponsored Links

Ritkuro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritkuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2009 at 8:24am
Anyone has some explanation on this?
pingpongrob View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongrob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2009 at 8:30am
He holds the racket high compared to me - its like he's chocking the Blade.
His finger is in the correct spot - it should not be vertically. What you need to remember is that you must feel comfortable in the way you hold the racket.

I hold my Bat tightly, yet my training partner holds it loosely.
Distributor for Andro, XIOM, Tibhar, Joola, Dr Neubauer, Donic, DHS, AIR, Dawei, 729 & Yinhe

http://www.affordablett.com.au
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2009 at 8:51am
There is no correct grip. Look at  wang liqin, kreanga, timo, chila.. they are all different. You should find yours...
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

Ritkuro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritkuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2009 at 8:53am
Is tilting my wrist so the racket tip points horizontal a good thing? I seem to be hitting nets instead.
Pingponglor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingponglor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2009 at 11:03am
The most important is to ensure blade is in a straight line / inline with forearms elbow even up to shoulder when u straighten the whole arm ...can also not in 100% straight lines but at least parallel be it is for FH or BH...

Just my kind of guides lines on grip...
2winged View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2winged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2009 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Ritkuro Ritkuro wrote:

Anyone has some explanation on this?

I understand your dilemma.  I will go through at least 3 different shakehands grips during a match depending on the blade I'm using.  I have had my index finger on the rubber like Boll does or held the racket like Persson with the index finger curled around the edge.  I've tried grips that favor the forehand.  At other times I favored the backhand. 

How I finally resolved the issue is by concentrating primarily on the executing the correct stroke.  Certain grips allow "cheating" on stroke execution.  You can do a partial stroke with some grips that encourage a floppy wrist motion.  This causes inconsistency as well. 

Blade: BTY Adolescen, Gergely 21
Rubber: Inspirit Quattro, Innova
Ritkuro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritkuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 12:19pm
How do I find my own grip?
TSuBaSa View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSuBaSa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 12:28pm
Try different things. put your thumb on the rubber logo when you're using your backhand for example...
Nittaku Tenaly Acoustic Inner Carbon
Joola Rhyzer Pro 50 & 45

loop2kill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop2kill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/26/2009 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Ritkuro Ritkuro wrote:

How do I find my own grip?

Work with a patient partner or robot depending on you situation and try a variety of strokes with different grips to see how consistent you are. 
Play a match with one grip only no matter the score to see how your grip holds up under pressure.
Have a long practice session with a particular grip that you are leaning towards to see how your hand feels afterwards.  If your hand is sore then that grip isn't for you.  Oh and don't squeeze the blade like you're choking it either that will make your hand sore.Big%20smile
Loop, Forrest, Loop!
Ritkuro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritkuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/27/2009 at 6:04am
Anyone have any pictures of Chinese people holding with shakehand using jap/euro rubbers and blades? How is the robot of Table Tennis. I mean perfect form. If I can copy his grip, I think I can get perfect form?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic