Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  Help Desk Help Desk  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Quality WTT Doha Coverage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Quality WTT Doha Coverage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
edgesandnets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote edgesandnets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Quality WTT Doha Coverage
    Posted: 03/02/2021 at 9:46pm

WTT Doha will be starting the main draw in several hours, and from what I’ve seen on social media, many people either do not know the event is happening or have no idea what is going on in this event due to low quality media coverage by ITTF/WTT.

If you or your friend are looking for serious, quality written coverage that doesn’t dance around the massive China-sized elephant in the room at WTT Doha and match recaps that actually tell you what happened in a match as opposed to essentially just restating the score and saying “ great rallies”, please consider following along at EdgesAndNets.com.

Here is all the coverage my blog has written so far:

News
Recaps
Previews

Note some of the previews may be out of date due to China’s sudden withdrawal from WTT Doha.

I apologize if this post comes off as a bit too self-promoting, but I do believe I am providing a non-trivial contribution and significantly better written coverage than ITTF/WTT.

Sponsored Links

DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 12:38am
Hi,

It is 12:30 a.m. Eastern (USA) March 3rd and I don't see any live streaming option of the main draw on the ITTF WTT website.

Thanks.

Inside every table tennis player is a better table tennis player.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 5:42am
Much better writing than any of the ITTF articles for sure. Would love more analysis, stats, etc... and you can get a job as a pro commentator lol
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Dignics 09c
BH: Tenergy 05
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 7:31am
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

Hi,

It is 12:30 a.m. Eastern (USA) March 3rd and I don't see any live streaming option of the main draw on the ITTF WTT website.

Thanks.

On their YouTube channel the Draw live streaming are labeled this way:

WTT Contender Doha Table 2 Day 1 Session 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edgesandnets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 2:03pm
Oh yes the Youtube Live stream fell apart for US viewers last night. Their social media is full of people like me whining so it should be up and running again. The official WTT live stream of Table 1 seems more reliable and it has live commentary too (but not by Adam Bobrow) and can be viewed at https://worldtabletennis.com/livevideo (free registration required)

BTW here are today's posts.

Levenko vs Pitchford Full Recap here (pitchford lost but he was minorly injured): https://edgesandnets.com/2021/03/03/...pitchford-3-1/
Day 1 Brief Recap and Day 2 Preview here: https://edgesandnets.com/2021/03/03/...day-2-preview/
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 6:45pm
And I'm wondering if we will ever see the Table one matches?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edgesandnets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 8:54pm

And I'm wondering if we will ever see the Table one matches?

They are broadcast live at https://worldtabletennis.com/livevideo but it seems there are no recordings
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 10:51pm

Hi,

Thanks.

The stupid thing is that WTT updates their schedule daily. Now, we cannot find out who was playing in those streams unless you watched it.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edgesandnets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/03/2021 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

Hi,

Thanks.

The stupid thing is that WTT updates their schedule daily. Now, we cannot find out who was playing in those streams unless you watched it.

If you go to the original ITTF website that they no longer promote, the schedule is there lol  https://results.ittf.com/ittf-web-results/html/TTE5277/results.html#/results
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2021 at 1:21am
The seeding issue is a big problem and in my view something that was done simply to make matches more attractive to gambling since it makes the early rounds less predictable. 
Basquests View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Basquests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2021 at 2:20am
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

The seeding issue is a big problem and in my view something that was done simply to make matches more attractive to gambling since it makes the early rounds less predictable. 

''Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence. '

DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2021 at 7:11am
Hi,

On the men's side, in the Round of 16, Harimoto wins over Lee Sangsu.

Too bad the commoners won't be able to watch Harimoto play in this tournament.

Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edgesandnets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2021 at 12:45pm
FYI they have highlights of the table 1 matches on the wtt homepage (https://worldtabletennis.com/home) that are not available on youtube
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2021 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by Basquests Basquests wrote:

''Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence. '

Tongue

A lot of truth there ... but in this instance I genuinely think that one of the main drivers of all the change is making the product more attractive to Asian TV networks and gambling. I heard it on a podcast so it must be true.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2021 at 2:49pm
Some controversial/ interesting points so far, I look forward to blog posts dealing with all of them Wink

- What happened to Wang Yang? The website said he was disqualified for not following covid guidelines. Did this happen during a match or was it a quarantine issue? Also, the covid hygiene concept seems to be quite interesting here, lots of players blowing on the one ball, ends being changed, etc. I suppose since everyone there is tested a few times that is OK?

- Austria's Levenko couldn't deal with his Cho Daeseong's hidden serves and kept on popping them up, pushing them off the end or dumping them in the net. He was yellow carded for his vocal complaints but somehow escaped another card when he voiced his dissatisfaction again. Levenko then decided to use his best hidden serves himself which Cho couldn't deal with either. In the end Cho served Levenko off and Levenko told the umpire that her "eyes are so bad!" 

I do feel for Levenko, imagine being in such good form only to then be beaten by hidden serves. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edgesandnets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2021 at 2:11am

Some controversial/ interesting points so far, I look forward to blog posts dealing with all of them Wink

- What happened to Wang Yang? The website said he was disqualified for not following covid guidelines. Did this happen during a match or was it a quarantine issue? Also, the covid hygiene concept seems to be quite interesting here, lots of players blowing on the one ball, ends being changed, etc. I suppose since everyone there is tested a few times that is OK?

- Austria's Levenko couldn't deal with his Cho Daeseong's hidden serves and kept on popping them up, pushing them off the end or dumping them in the net. He was yellow carded for his vocal complaints but somehow escaped another card when he voiced his dissatisfaction again. Levenko then decided to use his best hidden serves himself which Cho couldn't deal with either. In the end Cho served Levenko off and Levenko told the umpire that her "eyes are so bad!" 

I do feel for Levenko, imagine being in such good form only to then be beaten by hidden serves. 

Thanks for the tip! I wrote a recap of the Levenko vs Cho match (https://edgesandnets.com/2021/03/04/officiating-controversy-plagues-cho-daesongs-3-2-win-over-andreas-levenko/) and did an informal Instagram poll in which 65 percent of people thought Levenko's serves were not illegal. However, one player at the event said that they felt that Levnko's serves were illegal.

As for the COVID stuff, there seemed to be some chaos on opening day, but ITTF/WTT seems to prefer being tight-lipped on what happened. Although I would love to know if it's something juicy like a sex scandal happened regarding Wang Yang, at the moment I will not pry into it.
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2021 at 4:44am
Originally posted by edgesandnets edgesandnets wrote:

Thanks for the tip! I wrote a recap of the Levenko vs Cho match (https://edgesandnets.com/2021/03/04/officiating-controversy-plagues-cho-daesongs-3-2-win-over-andreas-levenko/) and did an informal Instagram poll in which 65 percent of people thought Levenko's serves were not illegal. However, one player at the event said that they felt that Levnko's serves were illegal.

As for the COVID stuff, there seemed to be some chaos on opening day, but ITTF/WTT seems to prefer being tight-lipped on what happened. Although I would love to know if it's something juicy like a sex scandal happened regarding Wang Yang, at the moment I will not pry into it.

Sex scandal?!!! LOL please elaborate Tongue
-------
Hurricane Long 5

FH: Dignics 09c
BH: Tenergy 05

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edgesandnets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2021 at 8:24am
Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

Sex scandal?!!! LOL please elaborate Tongue

For the record, there was NO sex scandal. I was just saying it would be funny if there was, because a player in the NBA was banned from playing because he violated covid protocol by having sex with a covid tester, and the whole situation was extremely funny. 
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2021 at 10:51pm

Interesting how the players were not told to "not blow on the balls".  I know it's a habit that a lot of players have (even myself pre-Covid) that is hard to break. But you gotta change for the time being. IF the players don't shake hands, then they should not blow on the balls as simple as that.

The umpires/organizers/ITTF let this one slip thru the cracks.  A definite Covid No No!!!

Butterfly TB ALC fl
FH: Tenergy 05Hard 2.1
BH: Tenergy 80 2.1

Andro Treiber Z - fl
FH: Tibhar MX-P Hard 2.1
BH: Tibhar Aurus 2.1
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2021 at 11:48pm
It was funny when the Umpire told Aruna vs Lin, "don't wipe your hands on the table"...Aruna served right into the table edge :)
*sigh*
timoboll89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timoboll89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2021 at 3:08am
i hate the camera, why they just dont want to understand that the correct angle for tabletennis is not the front, not the side but 3/4 view of the table? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edgesandnets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2021 at 4:15am

Much better writing than any of the ITTF articles for sure. Would love more analysis, stats, etc... and you can get a job as a pro commentator lol

I tried my hand at incorporating some stats into the blog in a last-minute women's finals preview: https://edgesandnets.com/2021/03/06/mima-ito-vs-hina-hayata-finals-preview-a-statistical-approach/

The analysis is very primitive, but hopefully that can change if there's more data somehow
Stef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2021 at 6:06am

I tried my hand at incorporating some stats into the blog in a last-minute women's finals preview: https://edgesandnets.com/2021/03/06/mima-ito-vs-hina-hayata-finals-preview-a-statistical-approach/

The analysis is very primitive, but hopefully that can change if there's more data somehow

Really interesting work Thumbs Up

If WTT really wants to “revolutionize” the presentation of table tennis, previews like this should be the norm!
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2021 at 6:19am
Originally posted by Snakefish Snakefish wrote:

Interesting how the players were not told to "not blow on the balls".  I know it's a habit that a lot of players have (even myself pre-Covid) that is hard to break. But you gotta change for the time being. IF the players don't shake hands, then they should not blow on the balls as simple as that.

The umpires/organizers/ITTF let this one slip thru the cracks.  A definite Covid No No!!!

If so they shouldn't touch same ball also :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edgesandnets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2021 at 11:49am
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

I remember at ITTF Grand Finals, Lily Zhang said in the commentary that hey were told not to blow on the balls or touch the tables, and in Ma Long's match vs Dima, he stopped himself for one point and then he kept doing it anyway. Obviously nobody's gonna fault freaking Ma Long for blowing on a ball, so maybe they just scrapped the rule or stopped enforcing it.

In my opinion, a lot of the measures look pretty useless such as calling a socially distant umpire to walk over next to you to scrub the table for several seconds instead of doing it yourself. However, I feel like it's added a wrinkle to the event where players basically get a free towel break by asking the umpire to wipe the table.
Read my blog on the pro table tennis circuit at EdgesAndNets.com
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2021 at 12:35am

I have a solution for that.  Wear a latex rubber glove on the free hand.
On second thought, someone will say the serves will be improved.  
Oh covid,covid,covid,.........
Butterfly TB ALC fl

Andro Treiber Z - fl
Snakefish View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snakefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2021 at 12:41am

I remember at ITTF Grand Finals, Lily Zhang said in the commentary that hey were told not to blow on the balls or touch the tables, and in Ma Long's match vs Dima, he stopped himself for one point and then he kept doing it anyway. Obviously nobody's gonna fault freaking Ma Long for blowing on a ball, so maybe they just scrapped the rule or stopped enforcing it.

In my opinion, a lot of the measures look pretty useless such as calling a socially distant umpire to walk over next to you to scrub the table for several seconds instead of doing it yourself. However, I feel like it's added a wrinkle to the event where players basically get a free towel break by asking the umpire to wipe the table.

That umpire was weak, chickened out in not reminding/warning Ma Long NOT to blow on the ball.
No player is bigger than the game, especially the safety in current times. It has always been consistent for referees/umpires  to be inconsistent  Angry

Butterfly TB ALC fl

Andro Treiber Z - fl
Charlie Brown View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Brown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2021 at 2:13am
table 1 is being shown right now live on their WTT site sub and you can view TABLE 1 

T2,3,4 are on their YouTube Channel

Edited by Charlie Brown - 03/08/2021 at 2:21am
*sigh*
pongfugrasshopper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongfugrasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2021 at 7:38am
The lack of contrast of the ball on the whitish gray reflection from the table on the side view is just unpleasant on table 1.  The back and corner angles are so much more pleasant to view.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edgesandnets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2021 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Stef Stef wrote:

Really interesting work Thumbs Up

If WTT really wants to “revolutionize” the presentation of table tennis, previews like this should be the norm!

Thank you! Here's a recap of Ito's final win (https://edgesandnets.com/2021/03/06/mima-ito-wins-wtt-doha-event-with-4-2-finals-victory-over-hina-hayata/) and a similar post-game analysis (https://edgesandnets.com/2021/03/07/mima-ito-vs-hina-hayata-a-statistical-analysis-revisited/) if you are interested!

Edited by edgesandnets - 03/08/2021 at 2:08pm
Read my blog on the pro table tennis circuit at EdgesAndNets.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic