Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Raising your game

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
eatmenot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatmenot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Raising your game
    Posted: 06/20/2007 at 12:06am
I was just pondering how we can go about raising our game level, from a mental perspective. We all have moments where we play really really good, pull off extrordinary shots etc.

The trick is I think is that we need to play at that level for a longer time.

Honestly, I'd say 3% of my game is world class level. About 12% is A level, 40% B level, and the rest C level. If I could raise those levels then there be much improvement.

Any body watch the dragon ball z saga? Its like maintaining super saiyon for a longer time period. I think thats how it should be.

Any other thoughts on how to raise ones game?
Sponsored Links

ProfessorChaos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfessorChaos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 12:20am
world class practice partners.
Yasaka Max Carbon 3D FL
Desto F1 Max
Sriver FX Max
masterbuten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masterbuten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 1:49am
Master Roshi says:

You should train hard like Son Goku did.
If that doesn't work, embark on a quest to find the seven Dragon Balls and wish to become a Super Saiyan or the greatest tt player ever.

yay
Stiga OC CR
FH DHS TG2
BH DHS TG3
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 3:35am
save about 5000 us dollars and train in china for a monthBig%20smile 1 month of training there is equivalent to training longer in other countries
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 3:47am
trap yourself in a hyperbolic time chamber with some ppl and play for 15 years. 
eatmenot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatmenot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 12:17pm
No I don't think that will work. You see players playing years on end, yet they are always at the same level. I think you have to find a really good partner/players and work at improving all aspects of the game. Playing 'bad' players can seriously mess up your game. If I get to train with the best players everyday, I'll be at their level at the very least.
In_this_pace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In_this_pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 4:39pm
Well I once was talking to my coach about my perspectives and he said - those who start too late like you still can rapidly gain the skills but after few years you`ll reach your potential and stop to progress.

There`s a level system in post-soviet countries:
3rd level
2nd level
1st level
candidate
master of sports
honoured master of sports
world class master of sports

For those who started playing after 16, 1st level is a top. To earn a master, you should start at least around 11-12, to be a world class player - around 6-8.

For example, Fedor Kuzmin first took the blade in his hands at the age of 5, earned master at 14 and world class master at 18
BTY Lapuhta ALL+
FH: Mark V 2.0 black
Jrking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 4:48pm
Does Talant come into play ?
Jrking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 4:54pm
Some people can play for years, and it won't matter. They just don't have the game in them, I know this person who has been playing for years he is just not good. He doesn't have a great practice partner and doesn't devote enough time to the game at least 2 and a half to 3 hours of table training and 1 hour of serves and atleast a half an hour of jump rope everyday no breaks
In_this_pace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In_this_pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 5:00pm

Originally posted by Jrking Jrking wrote:

Does Talant come into play ?

Sure it does. But it takes years to polish it.
BTY Lapuhta ALL+
FH: Mark V 2.0 black
Jrking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 5:15pm
It Sure Does
creeder06 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creeder06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 6:49pm
ok so besides becoming a super saiyen, time traveling, or living with munks in china
is there anything the average guy can do to get better with normal means?
if table tennis is to sports, what star wars is to movies, then you must be chewbacca.
Jrking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 7:17pm
find a player on your level, go to the training hall and just start doing drills, like the falkenberg fh to fh bh to bh and get it to the point where you both can do these types of drills without even thinking, the key is repetition, Don't be discouraged if you can't get it right away, practicing is a skill that you must master it takes time
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 8:36pm
a good coach and a great practice partner
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
creeder06 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creeder06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 9:22pm
i think the practice partner is the hardest. no one wants to just practice, they all want to play, and i just want to practice, do drills, etc because playing matches does not seem to help as much. especially when i am making the same mistakes over and over and i have no idea how to fix them
if table tennis is to sports, what star wars is to movies, then you must be chewbacca.
Jrking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jrking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 9:25pm
Hey Creeder06 where do you live in the United States ?
nicko@ttv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicko@ttv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 9:30pm
creeder, i believe its true, practice is essential and i'm not sure what kind of level you are, but games practice is very important.  If you find a partner willing to play games, don't just play the game to win, use technique, and when something goes wrong think about why.  You mention that you don't know what your doing wrong, that is for a coach to work out.
FH: Andro Plasma 430 2.0mm
BH: Stiga Magna 2.0mm
Donic Appelgren Allplay

train hard, play harder.
creeder06 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creeder06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/20/2007 at 9:55pm
this i agree with but we dont have much of a coach and he dosent watch anyone play to tell them what they are doing wrong
and i kindov dont llike the advice i get from my coach any more he is the one that convinced me to switch to shake hand simply because he dosent know how to coach penhold so now i play shakehand and penhold equally well but not as well as i would like know what i mean
forehandloop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forehandloop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2007 at 2:43am
practice will obviously allow you to improve your strokes and correct your mistakes over time, but finding a partner isn't very easy either. You might want to train with world-class players to raise your standards, but how many world-class players want to train with you? 
MALIN=Making A Loop Irritate Noobs

TIMOBOLL=Tt Includes More Of Body Odour, Lob Lowly

SAMSONOV=Slicing A Massive Spin Over Non-Oxygen Vessels

MALONG=My Attack Leads Our National Encyclopedia
agni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2007 at 4:00pm
Understanding the game you played and the mistake you commited will make you know what you are missing . People keep on playing games without even looking back at it . first find & then working on those mistakes is crucial for the improvement of a player . There is plenty to work on :-
serve , serve return , 3rd ball , push , block , loops , smash & strategy . Working all over this area will certainally improve overall game.   
applegreen allplay senso v1

FH yasaka mark v 2.0
BH Sriver FX 2.0

eatmenot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatmenot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/29/2007 at 11:11am
Equipment is another big factor. You can play horribly with some equipment and excellent with some other. It is also a good idea not to switch equipment too much, that can really wreck your game. But most importantly, I believe you need to find a blade rubber combination that will suit the game you want to be playing or can play. Theres like the chinese or the euro style of playing also. Determining which style and equipment suits you best is also vitally important.
ryu seungminfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryu seungminfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2007 at 12:17pm
no world class players would play with any of us unless we pay. quite obvious...
blade:kokutaku super
rubber:xiom omega 3
right hander

nothing without labour
easyfiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easyfiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2007 at 4:17pm
There is always one part of your game that holds back the rest. You need to identify that part and correct it before focussing on other areas.

How many times have we seen players with excellent forehand and backhand loops, but they have no short game? You are only as good as the weakest part of your game. If you really want to improve, start with the weakest link.

If you start learning how to flip effectively, it probably won't do you much good against most players who can't return or serve short. But you will start to notice the effect against the next level of player, the one that CAN serve short and can return short.
ryu seungminfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryu seungminfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/30/2007 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by easyfiji easyfiji wrote:

There is always one part of your game that holds back the rest. You need to identify that part and correct it before focussing on other areas.

How many times have we seen players with excellent forehand and backhand loops, but they have no short game? You are only as good as the weakest part of your game. If you really want to improve, start with the weakest link.

If you start learning how to flip effectively, it probably won't do you much good against most players who can't return or serve short. But you will start to notice the effect against the next level of player, the one that CAN serve short and can return short.

agreed!!!Thumbs%20Up
blade:kokutaku super
rubber:xiom omega 3
right hander

nothing without labour
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2007 at 1:05am
     If you are an aggressive player, I can tell you one way to help.
     My partner and I play a game called "no mercy".
     We usually do forhand to forhand first, then backhand to backhand and then any place on the table. About 15 minutes each is one heck of a workout.
     The only rule is, "Topspin loop drives or kills ONLY no matter how low the ball is".
     Playing this has shown just how low you can really loop or kill a ball. Alot lower that you think. It is a way to find the limits. In regular practice, you tend to play shots safe. By having to hit a low ball, you find out where the limits are. Both of us were surprized at the shots we could make.
     Now, this is not to say to play in competition like this. By playing this game, we both have improved in countering on balls that we might have blocked or moved back off the table.
     It has helped both of us stay in control of the table and forceing the other guy back in competition.
     One thing you will find is the more topspin on an incoming ball, the eaiser it is to counter, The incoming top being turned into your top going out. I am not talking brush loops but loop drives.
     The main thing you need is a willing partner and a bucket of balls. When the buckets empty, then go chase the balls. It is intense!
Jolan View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2007 at 10:22am
Originally posted by creeder06 creeder06 wrote:

. no one wants to just practice, they all want to play, and i just want to practice, do drills, etc because playing matches does not seem to help as much. especially when i am making the same mistakes over and over and i have no idea how to fix them
So true ! I've been thinking about this prob for years and I came to the conclusion that at a certain level you can do both, train and play, succesfully. I've imagined a wide serie of games where you go to 11 points and where you actually also practise regularity and important game schemes. Most of my students like it very much. We have a lot of fun and work becomes easy...
Caution ! This is for beginners, intermediate and confirmed players. No way it can apply to top region or national level .
This method pleases both few players who want hardtraining and majority who just wants to have fun and gentle swet.
Improvements in the play are noticeable but not spectacular due to the fact that most of my players are in their 30th or 40th. I'm not in charge of the kids (thks god, I've got already 3 at home !).
Joola Wyzaryz Freeze
Vega pro 2.0mm
Vega intro 2.0mm
Blade collection : https://photos.app.goo.gl/PrgCu5ib5RnhVXTn9
mjre65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjre65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/02/2007 at 9:48pm
work on 1 skill at a time!!  beat it to dead and some more til you can do it with consistently with your eyes closed and without thinking about it.  then move on to the next one.  I know lots of people go to the club and start playing without thinking what they want to learn for the practice session and never improve on any skills.  practice is for you to work on a particular skill.  once you learned a new skill, you have to use it in a few practice games.  it does not matter if you lose.  your objective is to practice that skill.  have someone observed your game and tell them to watch that particular shot.  get their opinions what you did right or wrong for that shot and how to correct them.  I know some people are so close minded that they do not listen to anybody comments even when they are paying $$$$ for lessons.  it is like throwing $$$$ down the toilet and never improve.
Man D Man
Blade: DHS 4 star
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: RITC 755
jared table ttk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jared table ttk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2007 at 4:35pm
first you need a v.good coach which is a very good player use him as a blocker to work on what you like    second you need a partner which is consistant 

you need to have your mind and ability fully on the game this is how you become a great player
everest81 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote everest81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2007 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Hookshot Hookshot wrote:

If you are an aggressive player, I can tell you one way to help.
     My partner and I play a game called "no mercy".
     We usually do forhand to forhand first, then backhand to backhand and then any place on the table. About 15 minutes each is one heck of a workout.
     The only rule is, "Topspin loop drives or kills ONLY no matter how low the ball is".
     Playing this has shown just how low you can really loop or kill a ball. Alot lower that you think. It is a way to find the limits. In regular practice, you tend to play shots safe. By having to hit a low ball, you find out where the limits are. Both of us were surprized at the shots we could make.
     Now, this is not to say to play in competition like this. By playing this game, we both have improved in countering on balls that we might have blocked or moved back off the table.
     It has helped both of us stay in control of the table and forceing the other guy back in competition.
     One thing you will find is the more topspin on an incoming ball, the eaiser it is to counter, The incoming top being turned into your top going out. I am not talking brush loops but loop drives.
     The main thing you need is a willing partner and a bucket of balls. When the buckets empty, then go chase the balls. It is intense!

Good idea, I doubt I can find a partner willing to do that though, esp when ppl are waiting for their turn to play.
Member of Single ply Hinoki club
Kokutaku Cho-Super Cho Tokusen + Tenergy Max
Collecting dust: Nittaku Cho tokusen 9mm, kokutaku cho tokusen 9mm, darker 90 10mm, ryno custom poc blade 10.2mm
AVarun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVarun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2007 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by agni agni wrote:

Understanding the game you played and the mistake you commited will make you know what you are missing . People keep on playing games without even looking back at it . first find & then working on those mistakes is crucial for the improvement of a player . There is plenty to work on :-
serve , serve return , 3rd ball , push , block , loops , smash & strategy . Working all over this area will certainally improve overall game.   

Agree, and one thing I've missed all these years is performing serious drills, and attending clinics. That  I will do soon!

However, practising playing games isn't a bad thing at all.  It certainly has helped me in the past 5 years.

What I've been doing in games  recently is playing weaker players and working on those areas that are not so strong, such as forehand, footwork, pushing and spinning. I've found it has helped, because it shows up in actual tournaments when I face higher level players.  It makes the practice game challenging as well, since those weaker people I play games with would be too easy to beat if I play a conventional match with them.  So I will do things like only use my forehand or only push back serves, or only give backhand serves or only go down the middle with a shot etc. 

The cumulative effect of this has been that my level has improved, and those plays( forehand use, spinning)  are easier for me, and win points in competition.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic