FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Raising your game

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
bull_harrier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bull_harrier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2007 at 4:59pm
I am surprised no one mentioned videoing yourself while you practice or play.  It is good for you to see what you are doing wrong after the fact and what you need to work on as well, or your coach or just a friend that can offer multiple perspectives for you.  And I agree with the concensus on here that more people just want to play games and not do drills.  Getting a good balance of both is important and while you play games not to focus on winning but experiementation and focus on what you are doing wrong which was mentioned earlier.  The biggest part of improvement i believe is determination though, if you don't have the mindset to improve then you won't. 
Clipper CR WRB
FH: Boost TP
BH: Boost TP

My Biology/Physiology Learning Channel on Youtube
Sponsored Links

Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2007 at 2:48am
Practice.  And try and play people at a higher level.  That's how I learn.  And when your NOT play, think about what your doing wrong and apply that next time you play.  I do that every time I play.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2007 at 2:50am
ive played someone way above my league, and u learn a couple of things, like how did he get so much power, deception form serve, good pushing game and so on. its motivation for u to improve, i played my coach and man is he wicked. lui guoliang!!!
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

epuus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote epuus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2007 at 12:54pm
play with person better than you....
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2007 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by In_this_pace In_this_pace wrote:

Well I once was talking to my coach about my perspectives and he said - those who start too late like you still can rapidly gain the skills but after few years you`ll reach your potential and stop to progress.

There`s a level system in post-soviet countries:
3rd level
2nd level
1st level
candidate
master of sports
honoured master of sports
world class master of sports

For those who started playing after 16, 1st level is a top. To earn a master, you should start at least around 11-12, to be a world class player - around 6-8.

For example, Fedor Kuzmin first took the blade in his hands at the age of 5, earned master at 14 and world class master at 18

I don't know if that's quite true.  It sounds like your saying that a person who starts after 16 can't become a world class player, although I do agree that the earlier you start, the better your chances.

But as for me.  I started when I was 17 and have been playing hard for two years.  I train and really concentrate on raising my level. 

I view myself as having a whole bunch of potential.  Plus other older more experienced players have told me that.  I mean, I've only been playing for two years and already I'm playing almost even with 2100 rated players.
llamatt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llamatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2007 at 8:26pm
always practice serve and serve returns they are key to success
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2007 at 9:33pm
On the serve returns make sure you learn to always be able to either attack them, or if you can't attack,  learn to return with enough backspin to prevent a third ball.  Instead of just getting the serve back over the net.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2007 at 9:47pm
some players dont put backspin, but they just "tap it over", y is this?
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

kim_taek_soo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kim_taek_soo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2007 at 10:24pm
The tap is more of a drop shot and is ussually a means to stop the ball from spinning completely. It goes as close to the net as possible, usually on the line, more of a placement thing i think.
A couple of people have mentioned talent. It's more important than you think. I won't disclose my level or age, but I'll say that I've lost to some pretty low ranked kids. And i mean kids, Like 14 year olds using flextra 1.7. I used to doubt myself alot after playing those kids. That's talent, no other explanation. When a kid with no coach beats you using flextra, what else could it be?
BTY Neutrino R

Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0

My feedback: https://mytabletennis.net/forum/topic92859.html
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2007 at 10:26pm
goddamn luck! nah...maybe u didnt feel too good on the day? i played on an empty stomach and got OWNED!!! BIG TIME!!!!
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2007 at 11:31pm
I think that if  a 10yo and me (a 19yo) started playing table tennis for the first time and got the same training for the same amount of time, that the 10yo would have no advantage because of his age.
korearulz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korearulz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2007 at 11:35pm
.....train
Official XIOM Distributor of New Zealand & Australia
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2007 at 11:35pm
...?
mozzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mozzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2007 at 3:18am
Originally posted by Jrking Jrking wrote:

find a player on your level, go to the training hall and just start doing drills, like the falkenberg fh to fh bh to bh and get it to the point where you both can do these types of drills without even thinking, the key is repetition, Don't be discouraged if you can't get it right away, practicing is a skill that you must master it takes time

What is falkenberg?
Blade 729 Carbon
FH TG2
BH BFY Super Anti

theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2007 at 7:18am
falkenberg is a drill where u do one fh to ur fh side, then a bh to ur bh side, then move around the bh to do a fh, then repeat, all hitting in the same corner.
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2007 at 7:28pm
There are several videos available for download where guys like Waldner, Samsonov, Boll, Maze teach you how to train your serve, your drives, your topspins, your BH and FH block etc. Start with those and repeat whatever they do about 10,000 times during your practice sessions - I promise, that should help!
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2007 at 2:10pm

Falkenburg.  Fav. drill.  Great practice with footwork.  And great excercise.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic