Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red vs. Black rubbers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red vs. Black rubbers
    Posted: 07/05/2006 at 11:09am
I've heard that there are differences between Red and Black rubbers, at least for certain rubbers, like one of them is generally tackier than the other. Is this true?

Are there other general characteristics that apply specifically to red or black rubbers?
Sponsored Links

PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2006 at 1:43pm
I experienced on Sriver FX 2.1, Yasaka Mark V GPS 2.0 Joola Tango Metallic that blacks are softer and have better effect on speed glue.
we make real professional handmade table tennis blades - ospblades.com
hua_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hua_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2006 at 1:56pm
i found for me that a lot of black rubbers click more with glue. especially with neos sound
pingpongkf View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongkf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2006 at 2:09pm
i will agree on the spin differece due to the different raw material used on the topsheet. But almost all brands and models use same sponge for both colors, so there should be no difference in glue effect or speed. just my opinion.
www.speedpong.net
TT EQUIPMENTS: Nittaku, Butterfly, Stiga, Yasaka, Galaxy YinHe, DHS, Friendship, Globe.
ttman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2006 at 2:20pm

Originally posted by hua_ hua_ wrote:

i found for me that a lot of black rubbers click more with glue. especially with neos sound

I find this too, my black sriver L I use on the fh because it has bigger glue effect and click than my red sriver L I think it is do to the fact that the topsheet is softer and it allows the ball to sink into the sponge more

Sabito View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2006 at 2:44pm
Butterfly says black rubbers are grippier and softer due to the component that gives the color.
conboy31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote conboy31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2006 at 2:45pm
Following the mentioned trend, I seem to like black better and use it on my fh. On provine rubbers it felt like there was a difference.
FH: Black Darker Provine SV 2.2
BH: Red Mendo MP 2.0
Avalox Ma Wenge Carbon
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2006 at 2:50pm

Originally posted by pimpmyracket pimpmyracket wrote:

I've heard that there are differences between Red and Black rubbers, at least for certain rubbers, like one of them is generally tackier than the other. Is this true?

Are there other general characteristics that apply specifically to red or black rubbers?

What kind of an idiot would tell you a thing like that!? :)

Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Sabito View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2006 at 2:51pm
on the schlager's racket it looks very cool!! and kreanga tends to change it to the black one when he feels his red rubber dirty red rubbers are  a bit tackier.. 
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2006 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Heh, sorry Cole. I forget whether you said it was Red or Black that was tackier.
strivewind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strivewind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2006 at 5:43pm
to be honest, i find the black to be a little tackier (that is what I was told and that's how i felt).  But I recently changed from a black to a red in my forehand, my plays are the same.  My opponents still think my loops are spinny.  So I think it doesn't really make that much of a difference.  It's all in your mind. 
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2006 at 2:56am
Originally posted by cole_ely cole_ely wrote:

Do official dealers play? It is obvious due to the colouring staff that there is difference bw red and black. The question is: have you ever noticed? :)

PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2006 at 3:02am

Originally posted by pingpongkf pingpongkf wrote:

i will agree on the spin differece due to the different raw material used on the topsheet. But almost all brands and models use same sponge for both colors, so there should be no difference in glue effect or speed. just my opinion.

Glue a Sriver FX. Tha same amount of glue almost explode the black while red hardly starts. I have the same oppinion on sponges. The features of topsheets even effect on gluing behaviour.

Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2006 at 8:27am

IMO black = more spin and tackier + better click (best for fh) red = speedier and a little harder and better for blocking, not so tacky (better for bh)

this depends on the rubber though... on some rubbers it is the red that has better clcik...

Blade: Butterfly M. Maze Off ST

Rubbers: Bluefire M2 2.0
joubtt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joubtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2006 at 4:03pm
The difference is subtle but from the various companies I've found the black is softer and red firmer.  I think it's due to the weights of the dyes used to color.  i wish someone would do an actual test and post it.
JUIC Hybrid(Fl) w/999 Chinese sponge
JUIC Hybrid(Fl) w/Galaxy 9000
wfwfitz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfwfitz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2006 at 11:52pm
I find that with my chinese rubbers the black is usually tackier than the red.
Wfwfitz
Xiom Axelo
Xiom Sigma Pro Red and Black
Butterfly Amultart
Tenergy 05 Black and Red 64
Speedplay View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedplay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/12/2006 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by joubtt joubtt wrote:

The difference is subtle but from the various companies I've found the black is softer and red firmer.� I think it's due to the weights of the dyes used to color.� i wish someone would do an actual test and post it.

It has been tested, atleast that what the higly regarded owner at Japsko claims. He said that in generell the black sheet provides a bit more spin and control, while the red gives you more speed. The dif. however is so small that most players failed to feel it. So, as mentioned before. its a mindgame

This is as long as you use the original sponge ofcourse! Changing sponges so you dont have the same on re and black obviously makes a differece.
The holy grail
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic