Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

returning sidespin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: returning sidespin
    Posted: 11/12/2006 at 4:27pm
any tips on returning sidespin?my friend says hit ball back to were opponent starts swing and hit on opposite side of ball to where they hit,is it really that simple?
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

Sponsored Links

Scarbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2006 at 9:42pm
No it isn't easy in the beginning, just get the feel for the ball, and try to do side spin the opposite direction of your opponent (usually combined with backspin). Or do the Waldner trick, don't do any side spin back, just use the side spin of your opponent to get the ball where you want. That requires some experience, but is very effective. Good luck!
alfie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2006 at 9:52pm
you have to angle your blade as if to hit the ball where your opponents blade started from i.e. if your opponent is RH and serves a FH pendelum sidespin serve you have to angle your blade as if you are placing the ball to his FH corner depending on how much sidespin is on it.If it's high just hit through the spin
Blade Xiom Control 3/ALL+
BH Andro impuls speed
FH H3 Provincial
Tibhar CTE
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2006 at 10:46am
thanks guys i`ll try put into practice what you say tonight

GenomicsKnight View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GenomicsKnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/2006 at 11:37am
This article is also helpful in understanding the spin. The last few pictures at the bottom should support alfie's suggestions.
CEO, Single Ply Hinoki Club
TSP Dynam 10.5mm
and other fine 1-ply Kiso Hinoki blades
Hookshot View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hookshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2006 at 1:44am

For returning sidespin, I have a rule that works for me and my students,
     Whatever direction the bat was going at contact, that is the direction the ball will try to go when you hit it.
     This works with serves or any other hit.
     Bat going down, (chop) it will try to go low
     Bat going up (topspin) it will try to go high
     Bat going up and to your left, it will go up and to your left when you return.
     Example: if I see a shot that his bat was going up and to my left, I just aim to the right and deal with the top like any other shot.

firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/14/2006 at 12:14pm
having much sucsess with returns now after reading everyones theories,it`s helped me to figure out the physics of the shot you were all most helpful,thanks again.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic