Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reverse Pendulum serve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
agni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reverse Pendulum serve
    Posted: 04/15/2007 at 2:56pm
I use this service sometimes in the later half of the match (as the main serves are known by now) . I perform the side spin + top spin or side + backspin serve . But I really did not see many people using it in club .

I find it very useful as the returns mostly come on my forehand for a good third ball attack .

I am finding some difficulty in creating a plain backspin serve . The reason is that the power in the serve is slow and it becomes unreliable .
Any tips on doing the backspin serve with this style .

Also when I serve my style is somewhat changed as I throw the ball up on my left (for fh pendulum its on the right) . How can I keep the same style for both .

applegreen allplay senso v1

FH yasaka mark v 2.0
BH Sriver FX 2.0

Sponsored Links

Pip Master View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pip Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2007 at 6:14pm
I also use this serve very often. i can do the pure backspin variation but it is very difficult to keep low, therefore i refrain from using it. I just stick to side-backspin and side-topspin.
Blade:Yasaka Gatien Extra 3D

FH: Mendo MP

BH: Sriver EL
Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2007 at 6:38pm
I agree with Pip master.  It is very difficult to pull off a pure backspin pendelum.  You can do it though, just multi-ball practice a lot.
chronos View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chronos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2007 at 10:11pm
I'm a lefty and use at least 50% reverse pendulum - see the schlager training video for ideas for generating more underspin (as opposed to sidespin) - in short, turn your wrist clockwise (like turning a screw) as you are executing to come more horizontally under the ball.  Also, study the counter-clockwise corkscrew variation, it is purely a matter of timing between underspin, underspin-sidespin, and corkspin.  Personally, I find sidespin easier than underspin this way - underspin and corkspin easier with a regular pendulum serve.  But best to practice and master all variations.  See the schlager video also for a feigned reverse, last millisecond pendulum corkspin serve, advanced!!! Shocked
Pip Master View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pip Master Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2007 at 11:18pm
lol i do that feigned reverse very often, its actually quite easy once you get the hang of it, its a great surprise to the opponenet as well. they never expect it.
Blade:Yasaka Gatien Extra 3D

FH: Mendo MP

BH: Sriver EL
Qtjoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qtjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2007 at 12:05am
I use this on like 75% of my serves, I'm also a lefty so when I do it people call it the "Timo boll serve" haha and almost 90% of the time when I use it , it flys off the table. Look at the michael maze training video. I don't know how to explain to do the  pure underspin but to say the wrist action is like throwing a frisbee, but just keep your elbow high so it doesnt hit the net.
joola express 1
joola express 2
avalox 770
www.wtfoodge.com

7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2007 at 12:22am
lol, so technically you win the point straight out wiht your serves 67.5% of the time =O
pretty cool, teach it to us :"]
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
Qtjoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qtjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2007 at 12:34am
That is actually really bad on my part, because I am almost expectinng to win  the point by just serving and when it DOES come back I don't expect it, so I try to mix up all the serves or train my mind to think it will always come back.
joola express 1
joola express 2
avalox 770
www.wtfoodge.com

7homuz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 7homuz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2007 at 12:43am
lol man, yer better then ma lin!
xD, what level players are you playing?
i hardly ever see ppl win from serves straight out, unless they are playing someone way below ehtier level lol
Blade:Darker 7P-2A
Forehand: Donic Bluefire M2 MAX
Backhand: Palio CK531A 0.6
Qtjoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qtjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2007 at 1:48am
1300-1550 players.
joola express 1
joola express 2
avalox 770
www.wtfoodge.com

Swiff View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2007 at 11:06am
hehe Can't lose a match when your opponent can't return serve!!!  I have a serve that I use 1-2 times a game (only in a stressful situation).  I chop heavy backspin serve a lot of times thruoghout the game and when I need a point.  I fake chop and end up serving a dead slightly topspin ball.  Pops it up every time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic