Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

[Review] Xiom Hayabusa ZXi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
glassmaple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glassmaple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [Review] Xiom Hayabusa ZXi
    Posted: 05/26/2013 at 11:47pm
Finally got around to this...

Here’s my review/impressions of the Xiom Hayabusa ZXi

Mine was at 84g or so, in Flared handle.
FH: Xiom Omega IV Pro Max
BH: Xiom Omega IV Europe Max

I will mainly compare this to my Butterfly Viscaria FL (97.5g) since that’s what I’ve been playing with. Please keep in mind that my play style has changed to suit a stiff blade, mostly in the close to table distance and counter loops from mid-range. I played with the ZXi for a few sessions when I first got it then swapped back to the VIS. Switching back this week to test a final time and it still has the same feeling so I think it's accurate.

General Impressions:
The ZXi has a much sharper impact feeling in comparison to the VIS and somewhat resembles a fast wood blade. In my opinion this blade is best used in the mid distance from the table launching very powerful loops from both wings. This is possible because the blade flexes slightly when you swing hard enough, which is good for farther distance plays. The trajectory is lower than the VIS and this further encourages play style from the mid-range. 

The blade is towards head-balance but less than that on my VIS. It’s fairly good on the short game and I can keep the ball short. It’s not as stiff as the VIS so in-table shots are not as confident for me. 

Service/Receive:
Not much difference from the VIS. Just have to get used to the lighter weight and then it play pretty similar. They’re both pretty fast blades so it does pop up a bit higher than a slower all wood blade but that’s to be expected. Flips are easier with the VIS because it’s stiffer.

Looping:
Close to table is pretty good, fairly fast and powerful. The loops gets a lot stronger from the mid-range (2-3m away) when you really load up power on the blade. It really likes to store all the energy you put in when it flexes and sling it out with very high power and spin. Counterlooping is very good with it as the extra spin you get from the flex throws some players off. It's faster than the VIS since it was hitting about the same speed while being almost 13 grams lighter.

Blocks/Out of position shots:
Very good blocking blade. Extremely stable and can absorb incoming shots. The sharp impact feel tells you where the ball is. Out of position shots are stable because its sweetspot is pretty big. I can get back into the rally after a “reaching block” thing pretty easily since the shot is of decent quality. 

Conclusion:
Plenty fast with modern tensors. Best suited for two winged loopers that has a preferred distance in the mid to far range. Very stable with large sweet spot. Recommended level would be USATT 1800+ rating. Personally I like my super heavy VIS and its stiffness more because I love blasting shots at close-range so I’m going to sell off both my 84g ZXi.
Sponsored Links

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/27/2013 at 1:07pm
MY coach uses this as her daily lesson blade. I tried it out and gotta agree with you that a player who likes to play mid distance and loop the crap outta the ball will be richly rewarded with the right rubber. coach had Xiom Sigma I Euro and it was a dream to hit loops with, although she uses it primarily to block like a human robot making you run all over the table to practice combinations and footwork.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2014 at 12:10pm

Speed: Slow OFF+
Control: Very good for OFF+, especially on longer shots, you really feel where the ball is.
Blocks: Most Butterfly composite blades (OFF to OFF+) are better in this category.
Short Spin: Less forgiving than TBS but mainly because of the speed. If you finish your movement properly the spin is in and often with more spin in it than you would expect yourself.
Mid-Distance Spins: Real Pleasure, even if you are out of the position. It is also more forgiving than say Timo Boll Spirit, being 20% faster. You sort of have more time because of the flex that racket has (the flex is not too strong so you do not loose speed)
Short game: Pretty controllable.
Flips: With old balls - unbearable. With new ball - I got used to it pretty fast. There is less rotation of the ball after the bounce, so I manage to do almost same flip on all short serves, and the ball is in.
Spin on Spin: Really nice, with no effort, comparing to Spirit.

Conclusion:
Overall, the blade requires a good technique and better footwork than TBS but it rewards you with a lot of additional gears and speed. All round style players may be not very comfortable with this racket. Loopers with variety of of different spins may really like it.

XIOM ZX1 Feel 85 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega VII Pro, BH: Rakza 7 Soft 2MM
XIOM ZXI 88 Gr, FH: XIOM Omega V Tour, BH: Rakza Soft 7 2MM
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/2014 at 8:53pm
Got used to blocks and actually starting to enjoy the racket. What I really enjoy is a Variability of spin I can generate with very similar spin strokes. That extra 0.01 second that the ball sits on the racket vs. harder/stiffer carbon blades adds a lot to my spins.

Edited by iakovka - 10/04/2014 at 8:59pm

iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/2014 at 1:47pm
i don't feel that I ma in my best shape right now but some of my opponents say after my switch to ZXI they have much more trouble to control my spins. In addition, recently I've stolen several games from players 800-900 above my rating. So maybe it is racket ... plus the new ball.

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/2014 at 1:01am
Originally posted by iakovka iakovka wrote:

i don't feel that I ma in my best shape right now but some of my opponents say after my switch to ZXI they have much more trouble to control my spins. In addition, recently I've stolen several games from players 800-900 above my rating. So maybe it is racket ... plus the new ball.

What new ball are you using?

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
vivan4tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivan4tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2014 at 8:35am

I can confirm you that this blade is a looping monster with incredibly large sweet spot.
I'm still pursuing my tests on this blade, i'll try to write in a few weeks a complete review of this balde and compare it to some Butterfly "benchmarks" : MJ zlc, Photino light, TBS, TBalc, Viscaria light. 

A little picture on those beauties :

I'll try to test it with the following rubbers : Omega IV eu, Omega V eu, Vega Japan, H3neo, T05fx, T64frx, Genius Optimum Sound. 

Edited by vivan4tt - 11/07/2014 at 8:36am
Mizutani sZLC / T05fx / T05fx
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/2014 at 11:12am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

What new ball are you using?

I am using Xishaofa 3* 1st and 2nd generation.
(1st was approved by Ittf in Jan.
2nd was approved just this July.)

Since the time I was reviewing ZXI I got used to the flex it has and actually enjoying it a lot. I am not considering switching back to TBS.

iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 12:12am
Unfortunately I already have two, quite a good deal:

http://www.pingpongdepot.com/jomvirtue/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=67935&category_id=402&keyword=weekly+special&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=64

vivan4tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vivan4tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 7:18am
I'm am still testing the blade. So far the balde is just impressive. I think it depends on each style pf play but the blade realy shines for close to table agressive loops. The feeling is just amazing so far, I even tested it with ultra soft tensors (Genius + sound, Energy x-tra) and the blade still make those ultra soft rubbers "playable" (usually i just hate soft rubbers). 

The blade is larger than usual butterfly, its 152x158, so with heavy rubbers like vega japan, its feels head heavy. 

So far the fastest blade i own, faster than my Mizutani Jun but providing more "feeling" than the MJ or photino light.

I'm still doing tests, will recieve new rubbers soon : calibra tour M, Genius, 1Q sound......
Also, the sweet sport is amazing, the biggest of all my blades. 
Mizutani sZLC / T05fx / T05fx
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 7:37am
there is something wrong here

Less forgiving than TBS but mainly because of the speed.

It is also more forgiving than say Timo Boll Spirit, being 20% faster.
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 7:47am
You know each day is different ;)
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=61764&PID=734709򳗵
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 9:05am
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

If you read the whole post then maybe you understand better.
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 10:34am
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

It is indeed looks wrong when someone who is not capable of reading the entire sentence, pulls it out, without  context, mr. piligrim. 

First comment was yanked out from discussing Short spin off the table, where I claimed that Spin off the table is LESS forgiving with ZXI BECAUSE of the speed.

Second comment was taken from discussing Mid distance spins where I find ZXI MORE forgiving than TBS because of the flex that only comes to play with longer moves and makes ball to sit longer on the blade, and this is DESPITE the blade being 20% faster than TBS.

Go to original comment half a page above

iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 10:38am

Oh, sorry mhnh007 just got to your comment after responding to mr. piligrim "quotes".

Thank you

piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 2:02pm
ok ok. just relax. you could explain this without to be so nervous mr.iakovka
iakovka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iakovka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/21/2014 at 5:15pm
I am relaxed mr. piligrim but you put me in the position to provide such explanation that would not be required if my words were not taken out of context.
Sorry If I overreacted, I just was under impression that the focus of your original comment was on "how I wrote it" rather than on  "what I wrote".
I would prefer all together to avoid explaining something that does not contribute to the subject of this discussion in the first place.

Anyway, I am very happy with ZXI so far :)

Edited by iakovka - 11/21/2014 at 5:16pm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic