FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Rights & Wrongs in technique

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rights & Wrongs in technique
    Posted: 10/01/2007 at 3:17pm
i learnt table tennis at a young age, .. about 20 years back. back in India, I was lucky to get a coach... once national champion in India.

We were told what is rights and wrongs in technique.

- like while pushing (called chop in India) not to dig too much.. that's "WRONG"

- while looping (only called topspin in india) not to point the racquet head up... that's "WRONG"

- while chopping on loops (called "deep chop" in India) not to try side spin .. that's "GRAMATICALLY INCORRECT"

- in fact side-spin was a big "NO NO" except for playing pen grip or serving or away from table loop-on-loop.

After coming to US... i see everybody tries out everything .. which is GREAT .. and quite a few of them are in 2000 +

BUt it also makes me think... what was all that grammer for? :) 

Let get some advise from the forum... on the techniques that you consider "faulty".

Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2007 at 3:23pm
One I see a lot is blocking with the blade tip down. You often see this with people who are trying to cover the table with their backhand side to use their pips everywhere. If they get caught in bh position by a ball going to they're fh, they're forced to chicken wing it. It seems to me the pros always block with their racket tip up. The obvious exception being penholders.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
T h e N A M View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T  h  e  N  A M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2007 at 3:29pm
in Korea, and Korean people in US...

they call pushing as "cut"

is that really bad name for pusing..?

would you be able to understand when some body say "cut" for pushing..?

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2007 at 3:34pm
A cut is any spin on a ball. Most people use it if they don't know topspin, bs, ss etc...

In_this_pace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In_this_pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2007 at 4:35pm
There`s one thing that just makes me angry when I see it - when someone performs long forehand serve from his forehand corner. I just don`t get it!

Actually right and wrongs are hard to discuss. Many times I read and heard coaches of different levels, saying that Samsonov`s technique is full of mistakes )))
BTY Lapuhta ALL+
FH: Mark V 2.0 black
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2007 at 6:53pm
long forehand serve to opponents forehand? or backhand?

does it make you angry because opponent can loop it to the servers wide forehand side?
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2007 at 11:43pm
use ue whole body for fh or bh, ie shoulder turn, hips, bend ur knees, which is somehting i need reminding everyday lol
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

ErikaT View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErikaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2007 at 6:14am
i think nothing here is right or wrong...........
i feel that just use to what u used to play and play well will do

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In_this_pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2007 at 11:24am

Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

does it make you angry because opponent can loop it to the servers wide forehand side?

It makes me angry that opponent serves long while his backhand corner is exposed. Suicidal self-confidence which I always dislike in people
BTY Lapuhta ALL+
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2007 at 12:42pm
eeeer....that is if they know what they're doing. If they understand what risk they are facing, then they will always be ready to return your attacks. Some players serve on the forehand side b/c they're very confident that they could counter attack it with their bh.
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In_this_pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2007 at 3:57pm

Originally posted by O! Ju Qian O! Ju Qian wrote:

eeeer....that is if they know what they're doing. If they understand what risk they are facing, then they will always be ready to return your attacks. Some players serve on the forehand side b/c they're very confident that they could counter attack it with their bh.

Yeah, I`ve seen Wang Hao do this. But he served standing at the middle, not at his forehand. And yes, as he put strong sidespin, his opponent was forced to return slow ball to Wang Hao`s backhand, which is lethal.

But it`s amateur or intermediate level what I`m talking about.
BTY Lapuhta ALL+
Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/2007 at 5:34pm
yea i just watched wang hao and yoshida kaii play a match and wang hao did a serve from the middle of the table on match point and then ripped a rpb. and kaiis fh was just ripping apart wang hao. but of corse wang hao pulled out a 11/6 victory in the 5th game. pretty exciting match tho.
Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
AVarun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVarun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2007 at 1:09am
Originally posted by In_this_pace In_this_pace wrote:

Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

It makes me angry that opponent serves long while his backhand corner is exposed. Suicidal self-confidence which I always dislike in people

Sorry, but this was a serve I used all the time until about 5 years ago. And my rating still got to 1900 Canadian!  I did not send it to the exact same spot on the opponent's forehand side,  but it still went cross-court. Sometimes with moderate spin on it, most of the time with very little or no spin.

But it's true that strong players will quickly pick up that serve after a few initial mishandlings. And that's partly the reason I changed to a more sensible/conventional serving position, from the backhand side.  I revert to the forehand-to-forehand serve only as a sudden variation, and it can be effective.  As a sub-variation of this, I serve down the line from the forehand side to the other player's backhand. This proved to be the winning point against two fairly high level players (over 2200) recently. But no, it is not a wise regular serving tactic.
AVarun View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVarun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/2007 at 1:19am
Originally posted by theman theman wrote:

use ue whole body for fh or bh, ie shoulder turn, hips, bend ur knees, which is somehting i need reminding everyday lol

Absolutely, same here!  A further problem for me is timing. When looping, FH or BH, I find I'm often late with the right posture, which includes use of forearm, acceleration of arm, turning of waist and legs, and the feeling of weight transfer from the backfoot to the forefoot, particularly with forehand looping.  Throw in racket angle and the right finish, which should in most cases be straight or foreword, not up, sideways or down, and you have a heady mixture of things to remember and coordinate!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic