Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scientific Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2008 at 9:38am
I explained that its because there are 2 tipes of kinetic (mouvement) energy.  there is rotation wich depends on the inertia moment of the ball Iweight distribution) and speed, and normal kinetic which depends on weight and mass.  the ball's speed can be transforme is 2 speeds, vertical and horizontal.  when the ball hits the table the table vibrates and therefore takes some of the vertical energy from the ball and it bounces less high.  Also when it hits the table some of the spin energy is converted into horizontal kinetic energy and the ball accelerates ans looses spin 
-Primorac 2000, 802 + globe 999 quattro
-Korbel, Cream MRS + 802-40
Sponsored Links

sidofmillenium View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2008 at 8:21pm
Nevermind, I got that question myself, release all our muscles meaning untightning it and giving all of my force a focus by simply following it through the muscle!(its ok if you don't get it...coz I do)

And yes, hitting the ball stiffly does increase the spin!

Anyways, seems like I am only person asking the question...ok, just one more....after that, you guys can take charge!

What makes the ball curve?(now, a lot of people have already explained this to me....but I still don't get it...so try to be fundamentally direct in your approach!)

Thanks.
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/16/2008 at 8:26pm
side spin, same principle as why the ball drops with topspin.  When the ball travel through the air we can look at the ball as being still with the fluid, air, moving around it.  the faster a gas moves the lower the pressure.  if the ball travels and spins, one side spins with the air flow and there is no effect but on the otherside the ball spins in the opposite direction and grips a bit of air making the airflow slower on that side and therefore there is a lower pressure on the other side.  naturaly there is a force applied on the ball towards the lowest pressure and the ball curves.  Planes fly using the same principle.
Mithrra View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithrra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by ffx-me ffx-me wrote:

side spin, same principle as why the ball drops with topspin.  When the ball travel through the air we can look at the ball as being still with the fluid, air, moving around it.  the faster a gas moves the lower the pressure.  if the ball travels and spins, one side spins with the air flow and there is no effect but on the otherside the ball spins in the opposite direction and grips a bit of air making the airflow slower on that side and therefore there is a lower pressure on the other side.  naturaly there is a force applied on the ball towards the lowest pressure and the ball curves.  Planes fly using the same principle.

THis is bullsh*t... sorry... i dont agree with this....the principle of plane flying is totally not relevant to the spin of the ball...LOL
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
*Non-Stop Changing Equipments!!!*
HADO ST
ASUKA 1 ply hinoki
Accoustic FL
AVX J-Power

KKT Cho Tokusen-Tenergy05
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by Mithrra Mithrra wrote:

THis is bullsh*t... sorry... i dont agree with this....the principle of plane flying is totally not relevant to the spin of the ball...LOL

he is actually right.
Let's think about regular topspin:

when the ball spins it creates a difference of atmospheric pressure between the top and the bottom of the ball. That creates a relative vacuum at the bottom of the ball and the ball falls into that vacuum.
It is the same thing when you do a sidespin; just rotate the system ball-paddle to the right (for a right handed forehand sidespin at the right of the ball) and you get the same resutls: there is a slight vacuum at the left of the ball since the sidespin was applied at the right of the ball and the ball curves to the left.

with underspin: that vacuum is at the top so the ball has a tendancy to go UP but gravity gets in the way and compensate and that's why we get a straight trajectory.

Did I get everything about right?

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 2:27pm
Nice...fatt....I have been struggling to get this since months...and you make it sound so simple!(did you major in physics?)

gulca View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 3:01pm
The effect is bernoulli effect.

It doesn't automatically mean a spinning ball will create the pressure difference that causes the ball to shift in its trajectory path.

The ball needs to be moving in the same direction of the spinning ball. If the path of flight is the same as the axis of rotation, you do not see this effect.

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by gulca gulca wrote:

If the path of flight is the same as the axis of rotation, you do not see this effect.

Can you give us an example?

Alright...I got another one for you guys....why does a slower blade spins the ball more?(since the spin depends on how much a blade is able to flex....the thick soft blade should be same as slim soft blade....may be even greater since it won't absorb the spinning pressure!)

Thanks.
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 4:15pm

no its not bullsh*tLOL  a plane flies because the path the air takes over the wing is longer (curved) so the air moves faster and there is a smaller pressure and there is a force upwards.  with spin the ball grabs air on the side opposite to the direction, slowing it down making the air on the othe side have a smaller pressure and a force is created.
ffx-me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffx-me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by SIDOFMILENIUM SIDOFMILENIUM wrote:

If the path of flight is the same as the axis of rotation, you do not see this effect.

Alright...I got another one for you guys....why does a slower blade spins the ball more?(since the spin depends on how much a blade is able to flex....the thick soft blade should be same as slim soft blade....may be even greater since it won't absorb the spinning pressure!)

Thanks.

You have to look at it like a collision, you apply a force on the ball and there is an impulsion (force in a collision changing the quantity of movement).  And, F=ma  so in order to get more spin the contact time needs to be longer because the acceleration will be longer and we will have a greater jump in velocity (of spin, i dont know the term in english)  Harder bats have shorter dwell times and brush the ball for a shorter time and therefore put less spin.  Of cource if the blade flexes the time will be greater.

Oh and an example of the spin that will not curve (doesnt oppose the movement) is topspin towards the side,
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 4:21pm

Nice...fatt....I have been struggling to get this since months...and you make it sound so simple!(did you major in physics?)

If I had a physics degree you would not have understood my answer Big%20smile

I got answers from those 2 websites:

scroll down until you see the yello ball Wink after the question: "Why does spin behave the way it does?"
it's from Greg Lett's website; you know that guy who's running tt about dot com. That website is not much moving since he took over about tt dot com. He moved the article though:

Also this is really cool:

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 4:36pm
Hmm...I already visited those links...didn't help me...but your words didTongue
Anyways...seems like the thicker a softer blade is(faster and heavier)...the spinnier it is b/c the less torque it absorbs...tell me if I am right....Therefore, the saying that slower the wood, faster it is, that is just a myth.(true in some cases obviously)
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 5:11pm

Thanks.

the slower the blade the spinnier it is: YES.
I think it is the same idea than softer or harder sponge. When the sponge is softer, it's easier for the ball to sink into the sponge and the forearm moving while the ball is sinking into the sponge creates spin.
Same idea with a slower blade:  the ball will stay with the blade and in the sponge a longer time instead of bouncing back right away so more spin is created.

By the way: you can still create a lot of spin with the faster blade; you just need to have a much higher arm speed to have the ball stay long enough with the paddle and in the sponge.

raptor3x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raptor3x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 5:55pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

If I had a physics degree you would not have understood my answer Big%20smile

I got answers from those 2 websites:

scroll down until you see the yello ball Wink after the question: "Why does spin behave the way it does?"
it's from Greg Lett's website; you know that guy who's running tt about dot com. That website is not much moving since he took over about tt dot com. He moved the article though:

Also this is really cool:

I'd just like to point out that the physics in the sections labeled "Why does spin behave the way it does?" and "Why a new ball is preferable to an old one" are completely wrong.  Actually, I just read the entire article again and, while there are a few correct ideas, most of that article is complete garbage as far as physics goes.
chu_bun View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chu_bun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 6:14pm
Not TT related, but sometimes ago I heard on the NPR (National Public Radio?), a guy has a new theory that explains why plane can fly based on Newton's third law "Action and reaction". 
According to him calculations based on Bernoulli's theory indicate that to produce enough lifting force a plan will have to go as fast as 300 - 400 miles/hrs before it can take off.
His theory is that, the wings push the air and the air push back.  So air goes down and plane go up, simple as that.  He used a helicopter to prove his case.
Anybody knows if this theory has been prove or disprove?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

the slower the blade the spinnier it is: YES.
I think it is the same idea than softer or harder sponge. When the sponge is softer, it's easier for the ball to sink into the sponge and the forearm moving while the ball is sinking into the sponge creates spin.
Same idea with a slower blade:  the ball will stay with the blade and in the sponge a longer time instead of bouncing back right away so more spin is created.

By the way: you can still create a lot of spin with the faster blade; you just need to have a much higher arm speed to have the ball stay long enough with the paddle and in the sponge.

When you say its the same as softer or harder...don't you mean their width(sponge thickness) instead of degree b/c I am talking about same density blade...just different thickness....

Also...you say that when forearm is moving as the ball is sinking into the sponge...that creates more speed.....(I know you said spin...but I think you will agree that you might as well have said both)...well, I do not think that is true b/c in martial arts...while punching, a whip motion is used, where the arm is lose so it can gain maximum speed...then at the point of contact, it is tightened...so there is no recoiling effect...but then again, I also here other martial artists claiming that you should always pretend that your target is 2 feet farther than actuality so you can actually use your acceleration force, which is more powerful than max speed!
IDK here....you guys gotta solve this for me....

One more thing, how exactly ball staying at the blade for longer time creates greater spin?  B/c spin is just angular speed...and therefore, similar to how the shorter the duration the ball spends on the blade, the faster the rebound....shouldn't it be same w/ spin?

Thanks.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 7:28pm
there is the softness of the outter plies and the flex of the whole blade. both are important factors. if a 1-ply blade is made of very soft wood the ball will stay with the paddle longer and if that same paddle is thinner then it will bend and act like a spring (elasticity). the spinnier blade will be the thinnier made out of softer wood.
I need people like borko to comment because I am clearly reaching the limits of my knowledge of interaction between wood and the ball.
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by raptor3x raptor3x wrote:

I'd just like to point out that the physics in the sections labeled "Why does spin behave the way it does?" and "Why a new ball is preferable to an old one" are completely wrong.  Actually, I just read the entire article again and, while there are a few correct ideas, most of that article is complete garbage as far as physics goes.

do you mean that that a very good player can make a very poor physicist ... et reciproquement?
Mithrra View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithrra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 9:58pm

no its not bullsh*tLOL  a plane flies because the path the air takes over the wing is longer (curved) so the air moves faster and there is a smaller pressure and there is a force upwards.  with spin the ball grabs air on the side opposite to the direction, slowing it down making the air on the othe side have a smaller pressure and a force is created.

Why I say its bullsh*t is bcoz... plane has wings... does TT ball ever has wings? Plane uses the aerodynamic theory of physics to be able to fly. Even before picking up from land, it has to have the speed of 300-400miles/hour in order to fly... Does TT ball need to that kinda taking off process like a plane? And again..... the shape of an aeroplane vs the TT ball.... its totally different theory how it flies in hair....

In TT, how does a ball spin in air? Why does a couter looped ball is faster than the first ball driven? It alls comes back to the theory of conservation of energy. When the first person hits the ball with an amount of force, it will cause the ball to accelerate, changing the energy force into kinetic force as soon as the ball leave the blade, accelerating until the highest point before the ball starts to decrease in kinetic energy while gravity force starts to pull it down again. Now at the highest peak of the ball from ground, the ball itself pocess the highest potential energy = mgh( where m=mass, g=gravity, h= height from ground). If it is counter looped by the opponent, in order for the opponent to hit the ball and drive it back, he needs the amount of force to overcome the kinetic energy + potential energy of the ball at the highest peak. Since the ball at its peak has the highest level of potential energy, it will be added to the driving force of the second hitter thus, it results in force of user + potential energy of the ball. Once the ball leave the blade again, these two energy being added together and changes to kinetic energy. This is where the ball will accelerate again but with a greater speed this time since it has its potential energy from the first person who hit the ball. So.... as the number of rounds of counter looping increases, due to theory of conservation of energy, the energy changes into greater kinetic force which mades the ball harder to be driven back due to speed and momentum factor this time......
         All right.... this is my first part of physics theory for TT ball driving.... Stay tune to the second part where I will talk about the spin of the ball.

HADO ST
ASUKA 1 ply hinoki
Accoustic FL
AVX J-Power

gulca View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 10:43pm
Mithrra,

Your conservation of energies are explained incorrectly.

Comparing a ball with a plane doesn't make sense. Shape of the plane is design to have maximum efficiency flying forward. That doesn't mean that a sphere ball cannot share the same effect of lift.

-------------------

imagine a stationary ball in midair spinning without any gravity. How does one tell which side is up and which side is down? How do you apply force? Which side is faster? Slower? There is no difference if the ball isn't moving in some direction.

A ball traveling along it's spinning axis will have no Bernoulli effect. I believe it is a pure corkscrew spin traveling towards the opponent will give this effect (ignoring gravity).
Mithrra View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithrra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 11:31pm

Mithrra,

Your conservation of energies are explained incorrectly.

Comparing a ball with a plane doesn't make sense. Shape of the plane is design to have maximum efficiency flying forward. That doesn't mean that a sphere ball cannot share the same effect of lift.

-------------------

imagine a stationary ball in midair spinning without any gravity. How does one tell which side is up and which side is down? How do you apply force? Which side is faster? Slower? There is no difference if the ball isn't moving in some direction.

A ball traveling along it's spinning axis will have no Bernoulli effect. I believe it is a pure corkscrew spin traveling towards the opponent will give this effect (ignoring gravity).

Gulca,

Your statement stationary ball is contradictory to the ball spining. If a ball is stationary, if will not spin. Oh well, you sure can tell how the ball spins base on the direction of the ball spining, namely : sideways, top, backwords or front= topspin. Without force how can you spin the ball?

"imagine a stationary ball in midair spinning without any gravity. " That is playing TT in space. Certainly, you can't play TT in space since everything is floating up there and there will not be any acceleration effect when you hit on it in space. Imagine playing TT in water.....Due to the gravitional effect of the earth, there exist force to opposing the gravitational effect of the ball in midair. Due to this ball having potential energy in midair, then can it accelerate in speed when a force is hit on it.

Spinning of the ball itself comes from another theory : theory of circular motion of the TT ball.  Of course, the shape of the object flying in air plays the key roll in determining its movement in air. For example : Flying a kite and trying to fly a stone tied on to a string. So can you fly a stone although it is being tied to a string? The TT ball shape is totally different from an aeroplane. How can it share the same theory of aerodynamics of the aeroplane?

HADO ST
ASUKA 1 ply hinoki
Accoustic FL
AVX J-Power

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/17/2008 at 11:56pm
magnus effect?
raptor3x View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raptor3x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 12:06am

Why I say its bullsh*t is bcoz... plane has wings... does TT ball ever has wings? Plane uses the aerodynamic theory of physics to be able to fly. Even before picking up from land, it has to have the speed of 300-400miles/hour in order to fly... Does TT ball need to that kinda taking off process like a plane? And again..... the shape of an aeroplane vs the TT ball.... its totally different theory how it flies in hair....

In TT, how does a ball spin in air? Why does a couter looped ball is faster than the first ball driven? It alls comes back to the theory of conservation of energy. When the first person hits the ball with an amount of force, it will cause the ball to accelerate, changing the energy force into kinetic force as soon as the ball leave the blade, accelerating until the highest point before the ball starts to decrease in kinetic energy while gravity force starts to pull it down again. Now at the highest peak of the ball from ground, the ball itself pocess the highest potential energy = mgh( where m=mass, g=gravity, h= height from ground). If it is counter looped by the opponent, in order for the opponent to hit the ball and drive it back, he needs the amount of force to overcome the kinetic energy + potential energy of the ball at the highest peak. Since the ball at its peak has the highest level of potential energy, it will be added to the driving force of the second hitter thus, it results in force of user + potential energy of the ball. Once the ball leave the blade again, these two energy being added together and changes to kinetic energy. This is where the ball will accelerate again but with a greater speed this time since it has its potential energy from the first person who hit the ball. So.... as the number of rounds of counter looping increases, due to theory of conservation of energy, the energy changes into greater kinetic force which mades the ball harder to be driven back due to speed and momentum factor this time......
         All right.... this is my first part of physics theory for TT ball driving.... Stay tune to the second part where I will talk about the spin of the ball.

Uh, this one just hurts.  I should do a point by point with this but I only have five minutes so I'll just hit the major issues.

- Lift is generated in both wings and in table tennis balls in essentially the same manner; by turning the incoming flow.  This is as simple as newton's 2nd law.  The manner in which they turn the flow is different, but the method of lift generating is the same in all cases.

- Aircraft most certainly do not need to travel 300-400 mph to lift off, unless maybe you're talking about the F-104 Starfighter; not sure about that one's take off speed. Edit: The takeoff speed for the F-104 is around 230mph if anybody was interested.

-Your hypothesis involving potential energy is so wrong it's not even funny.  You need to look at conservation of momentum (linear & angular) and the impulses involved.  "Energy force" makes my head hurt.

- Conservation of Energy/Momentum/Mass/Charge/whatever are not theories; they are laws.  A law is an observation that we have found to be true and to which we have found no exceptions.  Big difference.
gulca View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 12:08am
Mithrra,

You mixed up energies, force, velocity, spin and gravity. Please do not confuse others with your own confusion.

My description of a stationary ball spinning is just an example to show there is no top nor bottom left or right. You do have the axis of rotation. But other than that, you cannot say if the ball is spinning left or right, top or bottom, underspin or topspin. The ball needs to be moving in some direction.

Bring this up with any physics professor or any science major. They will sort you out.

But please, do not spread false scientific explanations to the less educated.

Mithrra View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithrra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 1:13am

Gulca,

Can you explained which part are you confused? Which part of it is false explanation? This is getting to be more interesting Wink...... I like you to proof that "I am spreading false scientific explanation".... Well this is all part of learning isn't it?

Raptor3x,

I agree that the words should be "Law of conservation of energy". And I like to correct myself that is not 300-400m/h but its ~300km/h for a normal aircraft to speed up before taking off.

-Your hypothesis involving potential energy is so wrong it's not even funny.  You need to look at conservation of momentum (linear & angular) and the impulses involved. 
          Please correct which part you think is wrong.....

HADO ST
ASUKA 1 ply hinoki
Accoustic FL
AVX J-Power

gulca View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 1:52am
Mithrra
I'll let others have a say on your explanation.

I do agree learning your mistake is progress. However spreading confusion to others while you learn isn't nice.

I apologize if I seem to be attacking you. I am not.

Find some physics teacher and have them listen to your explanation. If they agree with you, then I must be the confused one.
esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 2:50am
Mithra,

What a noble stance you took to being corrected. I'll have to agree with gulca and raptor3x on this one, your understanding of physics principles are pretty far off base.
Firstly a ball spinning in the air and an airplane wing are governed by exactly the same principle. The first thing we need to understand is that swiftly moving fluids (air and water behave as fluids) exert less pressure than do slowly moving fluids. Please don't try to argue that because it comes straight out of my physics book. If you need proof of that get a straw, put it into a cup of water and blow across the top of it, not directly into it or at a downward angle, and the water in the straw will rise because the pressure is less just above the straw when compared to the rest of the water in the cup.

That may seem like an odd comparison but it's the same governing principle. Someone tried to explain it earlier but was a little mixed up on some parts.
Going back to a spinning ball traveling in a certain direction: The side of the ball that is spinning against the direction of travel slows down the flow of air while the other side increases the flow. In a loop for example, the top of the ball is spinning against the direction of travel while the bottom is traveling with it, but faster than the rate of travel of course. As we learned above, swiftly moving fluids exert less pressure and since the air under the ball on a loop is traveling faster it exerts less pressure on the ball and causes it to flow in a downward direction. This is the same reason why a backspin does not drop as quickly and will actually go up if you give it enough backspin.
Relating that to airplanes, air has to go faster to travel the curved top of the wing than air that is passing under the flat bottom side. Faster moving air = less pressure = principle of lift. This can be a difficult concept at first because it seems counter intuitive to how we naturally want to see things, but I assure you this is correct.
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 3:37am
As for other comments made, the law of conservation of energy and the law of conservation of momentum have been skewed as well.

with regards to conservation of energy:
 - gravitational potential energy (PE) is given by mass*force of gravity(9.8m/s^2 on Earth)*height. Symbolized mgh
 - Translational Kinetic energy = 1/2*mass*velocity squared. Symbolized 1/2mv^2
 - Rotational Kinetic energy will be more complicated to understand on paper but is derived from moment of inertia (like mass but has to do with how easy it is to start something spinning)*angular velocity squared. Symbolized I*omega^2 (sorry i don't have the greek symbol on my keypad)

If we account for work done from non conservative forces (things like friction, sound and heat where energy is dissipated) energy is conserved in a system which can be show by this equation:

PE before + KE(rotational) before + KE(translational) before + work before = PE after + KE(rotational) after + KE(translational) after + work after.

Stay with me now. This simply means that if you have a ball and drop it from a cliff, the potential energy that it had at the top of the cliff, given by mgh, is directly proportional to its kinetic energy and thus velocity (remember KE(translational)=1/2mv^2). Work would account for energy lost due to wind resistance and also explains terminal velocity)

This is a lot of info to try and explain in a couple words so it would probably be better to take a class or talk to a physics professor in person. The point I'm trying to make here is that when you put work into the system of the ball by hitting it with your paddle, it is translated into rotational kinetic energy, translational kinetic energy, and for lobbers, potential energy (which is actually insignificant because the mass of a ping pong ball is so small, PE=mgh)

You could also take into account the potential spring energy stored in the sponge and rubber of your paddle but is not really necessary in this explanation.

now that i think about it i don't really want to take the time to explain conservation of momentum (mass1*velocity1=mass2*velocity2), or newtons second law (Sum of the forces = mass*acceleration). I can't remember the specific points that were mentioned earlier and don't want to take the time to go back and read all the posts but if you have a question or something, go ahead and I'll do my best.
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 9:04am
In a thread like this which really takes a physics degree in order to speak with authority, I'm reminded of the old saying:

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool,
than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

"

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
Mithrra View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithrra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 1:54pm
" To remain silent forever is a forever fool,
   To be humble & honest to ask is a wise man's deed"
HADO ST
ASUKA 1 ply hinoki
Accoustic FL
AVX J-Power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic