FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Scientific Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
sidofmillenium View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 2:02pm
but u weren't asking....but telling others how they are b.s.ing....
Sponsored Links

gulca View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 3:44pm
I'll say he was not asking in the 1st few posts he made but he did started to ask after that. So all in all it started bad but went back on track.

So let's put this thing behind us. We're here to discuss table tennis, not to put anyone on trial.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 7:15pm
yeah....to put things in perspective...we almost ehanged him...didnt we...?LOL  No pun intended....
Mithrra View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithrra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/18/2008 at 10:31pm
alright...... sorry guys......HugEmbarrassed
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
*Non-Stop Changing Equipments!!!*
HADO ST
ASUKA 1 ply hinoki
Accoustic FL
AVX J-Power

KKT Cho Tokusen-Tenergy05
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2008 at 12:16am
Ok...back to the questions...

W=fd then how come pushing a wall is tiring?

Mithrra View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithrra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2008 at 12:18am
Originally posted by SIDOFMILENIUM SIDOFMILENIUM wrote:

What is W=fd???? and why push the wall/??
HADO ST
ASUKA 1 ply hinoki
Accoustic FL
AVX J-Power

ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2008 at 12:59am

When you push the wall, since the wall doesn't move, it's actually your body that gets displaced. For example, you lean against the wall, then push. You end up pushing your body away from the wall, instead of the wall away from your body.

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2008 at 1:12am
But when happens when I lean to my toes...then my body doesn't get displaced either....
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2008 at 1:21am
Even if your feet never move from their spot on the ground, your upper body moves.

So if you stand up straight, then lean over towards the wall in front of you. When you push against the wall, your feet won't move, but your upper body will move, from leaned-over-position to upright or further depending how far you push. So it will be your upper body that has been moved, even if your feet stayed planted on the ground.

It's like doing a push-up but on a slope instead of flat ground. Your feet stay planted, but you move your upper body.
Arthur Lui
Mithrra View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithrra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2008 at 2:15am

How does this affect Table Tennis?

HADO ST
ASUKA 1 ply hinoki
Accoustic FL
AVX J-Power

esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2008 at 2:22am

I understand what ur saying sido. The answer is actually in your question. In physics the definition of work is a force multiplied by a change in distance. This is different from what we commonly think of as work: exertion of energy to accomplish a task, or even just accomplishing a task.
The problem with physics isn't that concepts are hard per se, just that you kind of have to rewire your thinking. So if you are pushing against a wall without moving yourself or the wall, you haven't done any work in the physics definition. You have expended energy but energy doesn't factor into the equation W=fd.

by the way i'm really not trying to sound pompous or offend anybody with my last posts. Just trying to be helpful.
Spread the wealth of knowledge
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2008 at 5:14am
Alright....moving on, I have this understanding(tell me if I am right) that rebound is directly dependent on elasticity...when a ball is coming, and we move our paddle backward at the point of contact, it makes the rebound slower....b/c the ball doesn't sink as much....Therefore, when a ball is spinning, if a ball theoretically had only spin, no speed(I guess ball would have to travel at the speed of light angularly for that)  Anyways, assuming this as practical, wouldn't stiffer the surface, better the spin?  B/c currently, the reason what happens at stiff surface like table is that when a topspin bounces, friction slows the spin down, but it cannot give it back again like a spring b/c the ball leaves early...but how come it gains speed?  B/c the ball deforms b/c of angular friction...and it is the undeformation which gives ball acceleration as a topspin ball after a bounce...what do you guys think?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2008 at 7:39pm

I'll take silence as agreement....alright, next question...

I earlier asked the question that if W=fd then how come I get tired when I push a wall?  You guys answered that there is a difference between physics work and biological work...well if that is true then how come when I sit long on a weak chair...it breaks?(I obviously performed work on it...but for sometime, when I weakened it...it didn't count as work...how come?
esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2008 at 8:42pm
Sorry I can only get to my computer in the afternoon so I didn't have time to respond to your first post. I'll answer the last one first then go back and take another look at the first one.

The work that is performed on the chair comes from acceleration due to gravity multiplied by your mass (or in other words your weight). Time isn't a factor in work, where time comes in is the definition of power. Power is equal to the work performed divided by time required for that work to happen (P=W/T=fd/T=fv (force times velocity=power because d/T= velocity)). So the less time it takes to do something, the more power is required. The SI unit for power is watts but can be converted to horse power etc.

So the work performed on the chair whether it takes one minute or a year, is the same, but the power in each scenario is different depending on the time it took.
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2008 at 10:07pm
The first question has to do a little more with conservation of momentum and newton's second law. Momentum=mass times velocity. When you hit a ball with a paddle, the ball exerts the same amount of force on the paddle as the paddle does on the ball but in opposite direction. When the two objects collide, the elasticity of the sponge and rubber comes into play but so does the momentum of the paddle and the momentum of the ball.

Ok, this is kinda hard explaining this process and trying to introduce these definitions at the same time but i'm doing my best.

So the ball goes into the sponge a certain amount according to it's own speed and mass as well as the speed of the paddle. I will assume that the sponge-rubber system behaves like a spring in the sense that how far you push into it is directly proportional to the force required to make it go that far. The spring potential energy is given by 1/2 * a constant labled k (this constant is a measure of the stiffness of the spring, or how easily it is compressed) * change in distance squared. symbolized:
PE (spring) = -1/2kx  (it is defined as a negative value because the force of the spring pushing back, the restoring force, is considered the positive value)
This is probably way more information than you wanted, but thinking through this helps me prepare for my finals ;)

So it gets a little more complicated factoring in the conservation of momentum upon impact and energy dissipated by the sponge not acting exactly as a spring and converting kinetic energy into heat and sound would have to be taken into account as well. The principle of conservation of momentum after a collision would tell us that the mass of one object times its velocity is equal to the mass of the second object time its velocity. So if you increase the mass of one object, its speed will decrease  and vice versa. So what is really happening when you move your paddle back at the point of contact is decreasing the momentum of the paddle or even causing it to have momentum in the same direction as the ball (that is important because velocity is regarded as a vector where direction is just as important as amplitude, speed is not the same as velocity in physics). So yes that will affect how far the ball will go into the sponge but the main change is caused by the change in momentum of the paddle.

It's kinda hard to stay on track here, but the ball deformation isn't where the spin is generated, but the force of friction is the main force to consider here.  Friction force is given by multiplying the coefficient of friction (tells us how much two surfaces stick together) symbolized by the greek letter mew, multiplied by the normal force. The normal force is the opposing force that keeps the ball from going through the paddle.
To understand normal force better, consider a mug on a table. There is a force being exerted on the mug equal to its weight. This comes from newton's second law: sum of the forces = mass times acceleration. When acceleration = 0 this is a situation called equilibrium. This means that the sum of the forces is equal to zero; so in the mug situation the normal force is equal to the weight of the mug (weight=mass*force of gravity)

Holy crap the more in depth I go the more stuff there is to explain, this is rather exhausting.

So friction comes into play because the component of the force that is perpendicular to the axis of rotation of the ball (that's a mouth full) is known as a torque and is what causes the ball to spin. So more than anything, good stroke technique is what will develop more spin, and I believe professionals and coaches would agree with me on that point.

On the point about the ball bouncing on the table, it is more of a perfectly elastic collision where not as much energy is absorbed through deformation (like billiard balls). Not really the crucial point though. The ball traveling through the air has rotational kinetic energy as well as translational kinetic energy. If there were no friction between the table and the ball the ball wouldn't 'speed up' after impact; the only things that would affect its trajectory would be gravity and Bernoulli's principle (the one with fluids and air pressure etc) Since there is friction, at the moment of impact, the ball exerts a force on the table, mainly due to rotational KE because the ball is spinning faster than it is traveling. A component of that force will be in the up and down (x) direction, but the majority will be in the side to side (y) direction due to spin. This means that there has to be an equal but opposite force on the ball, which comes from friction force, and since the table is stationary (due to its much greater mass and static friction between it and the floor) and the ball is not, some of the rotational energy is converted to translational energy due to a torque that does not have an opposing force.

well, I am exhausted from snowboarding all day and can't concentrate much more on this topic. Sorry that my explanation is a little hard to follow, but in reality that was  a complicated situation when all aspects are considered.
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/19/2008 at 10:10pm
wow i apologize, didn't realize that it i had written so much.

Uh. . . read it if your interested but if not then don't bother and save yourself some time
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2008 at 12:13am

ok.....now, if a ball has spin and speed compared to a ball which has only spin....would the ball w/ only spin rebound w/ greater spin than the other one b/c speed will interfer w/ angular spin?  Why?

Thanks.
esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2008 at 2:57am
well it depends on the values that you assign to each. you would need to define the parameters more specifically. things like; is the object that the ball contacts stationary? do the balls have an equal amount of total kinetic energy? and what type of surface is the ball contacting? all take part in how the ball reacts upon impact.

if the balls have equal total kinetic energy, the stationary ball is spinning fast enough to compensate for the speed + spin of the other ball.

specify a little more and i'll do my best.

YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2008 at 3:19pm
both balls have equal amount of spin...but one has more speed.....the blade is normal inverted in a stationary blocking position....would both balls come back w/ equal opposite spin?(or would speed of the ball interfer w/ the dwell time required for angular rebound)...How?
esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2008 at 6:17pm
I think were kinda getting lost in semantics here. First of all, if a spinning ball collides with a stationary high friction surface most of it's spin is going to be turned into speed. There is not some magic force that reverses spin. Changing incoming topspin to outgoing topspin comes from the force you apply and the angle of you racket.

The force and principle to be considered here is actually torque. I may have said it in an earlier post but a torque is just a force applied about an axis of rotation. To get the idea of a torque correctly think about it like this; if you were to take an open door and push directly toward the hinges, the door wouldn't move and no torque has been applied (although you were applying a force), if you push in a manner perpendicular to the
hinges all of the force is applied as a torque and works to close the door, if you were to grab the doorknob and push at a 45 degree angle towards the hinges part of the force you apply would be a torque and part wouldn't be (trigonometry would allow you to figure out how much) as only the component of the force perpendicular to the hinge goes into causing the door to rotate.

Ok try to take what you can from that, because torque is a big part of how a ball reacts when it hits your paddle and why. In your scenario the angle of the block is a much bigger factor than the speed of the ball. changing the angle of the block will change the amount of torque applied by your paddle upon impact and dictate whether the ball's spin will reverse or stay the same or be entirely converted into speed leaving a fast dead ball. Most blocks against topspin are at a sharp downward angle. This is because without even moving the paddle much, the combination of forces at impact results in a torque without an opposing force causing a change in spin, creating an outgoing topspin.

You can experiment with this concept by hitting a ball off your paddle with spin letting it fall back onto it for a second spinny bounce. Change the angle your paddle will come in contact with the ball and observe how the ball reacts differently.

I'm not sure that angular rebound makes sense or what it would refer to so i cant really say much about that.
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2008 at 7:48pm
ahhh my favorite topic mechanics and materials !! here is my late entry responding to esnift.

"...... There is not some magic force that reverses spin. Changing incoming topspin to outgoing topspin comes from the force you apply and the angle of you racket....."

DISAGREE. a spinning ball will reverse the spin because it's getting a huge reverse torque from the high friction surface. Otherwise your topspins would comback to you as backspin... like it happens with LP opponent, where the surface can't impart reverse torque through friction.

While the degree of reverse torque will depend on the angle, the fact that it will havea reverse torque wont.

And i also think if you are having your racquet face down while blocking, you will convert a component of the incoming spin momentum from rotational kinetic energy to linear kinetic energy by increasing the spin of the ball.

so  the forula would go:

Incoming Speed (X) + Incoming Spin (Y) = Outgoing speed (X + delta X) + Outgoing spin (Y - delta Y) + delta Z

where delta Z is energy lost in the encounter.

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2008 at 7:51pm
now my additional query ?

what is the best way to pass the ball from one end of a large room to the players far away?

topspin it on air... or chop it on air ..or hit it without any spin at 45 degree angle?  :)
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/28/2008 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

now my additional query ?

what is the best way to pass the ball from one end of a large room to the players far away?

topspin it on air... or chop it on air ..or hit it without any spin at 45 degree angle?  :)

A chop-smack.

I hit the ball about 15 degrees upward from the horizontal plane, and apply underspin. But not a sharp chop angle, it's a flat hit but with the paddle aimed upward a bit. Hard to explain.

But the effect is that the ball travels very far, and you don't even have to hit it hard. Most people hit it with flat, hard contact, at a 45 degree angle upward from the horiztal, and it doesn't go far even when hit very hard. I'm always slightly annoyed when people do that to my ball because they're hitting it very hard and it might crack, whereas my method travels much further and you don't have to hit hard.

The underspin applied makes the ball curve upward and travel further.

Arthur Lui
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 12:57am

But my question didn't even get answered....I asking if a ball is traveling w/ 5m/s of speed w/ 5m/s of angular speed....and if another ball was travelling with 1m/s of speed w/ 5m/s of angular speed....which was would return w/ more spin if the racket angle was same in both of them while blocking.....and why?

gulca View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 1:41am
sido,

It would depend on the surface of the racket.

If the rubber is soft and grippy, then the faster ball would lose more spin due to more surface contact.

If the rubber is hard and smooth, then the balls would have almost the same spin coming back. However, the faster ball bouncing back on the table would invoke more topspin than the slower ball. Two underspin balls would loose the underspins. Two topspin balls would gain spin. More for the faster ball on both cases.

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 1:48am

great question... my logic says both will return with same spin which is dependent on friction of the racquet and mass of the ball.

But there is a lower cut off limit depending on friction co-efficient, angle and ball mass. for eg if the cut off limit it 2 m/s,

then any ball above 2m/s (3, 4, 5 etc)  incoming spin will return with exactly 2m/s returning spin. ,  but once yuo go below 2m/s then return spin will be a proportional function of incoming spin.

i will try deriving this mathematically i later post.

debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 1:52am
@gulca

wrong!

the higher friction rubber will reverse the spin more effectively and produce greater reverse torque. lower friction will reverse less effectively due to lower torque... long pip (low friction by nature) will not have enough friction to reverse the spin.. so may return a dead ball....  frictionless long pips will not reverse at all neither slow down the spin.. and return a backspin ball (i.e . original spin direction).
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 1:52am

@ppgear

great answer and explanation. :)

gulca View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 2:10am
debraj,

I disagree. Your reverse torque doesn't make much sense.

Grippy surface first. The more grip the surface, the greater the spin is going to affect the direction of the bounce. It won't, and never will change the rotation/spin based on the gripping from the rotation.

Drop a superspinning ball straight down onto a super grippy floor. What do you see? You never get any  torque reversal. Ever. What you see is the change of the direction of the bounce towards the rotation of the ball. The speed of the ball would increase. The rotation would slow down. But never reversed.

Now another experiment. Shoot a spinless ball at an angle towards the grippy floor. On the bounce, the ball would be spinning forward. It would loose a little of it's speed though.

I hope someone would clarify both our argument. I don't want this to be another "mitthra" fight. :)

Combine both cases, and you see the flaw in your explanation.
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 2:44am
"Drop a superspinning ball straight down onto a super grippy floor. What do you see?"

Gulca, great logic. now would you do this?

spin a ball (preferably a racquetball to get enough friction on flor, and enough momentum as it happens with incoming tt shot) with forward spin.
... and throw it with some velocity in forward direction to the floor.

yes now you are mimicing exact condition (if you throw somewhat fast).

which way is the ballspining after dropping? ( you can put a mark on the ball to identify the rotational direction)

[what you just said is the condition of suboptimal friction condition, not enough to reverse the spin that i mentioned (<2m/s).]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic