FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Scientific Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
debraj View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debraj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 2:47am

think of it the tt ball while blocked is hitting the surface at an acute angle in the direction of spin.. just so you can compare with the rb experimnt.

also logically, if there was no spin reversal.. wont a topspin ball when blocked, come back to you as a backspin?

Sponsored Links

esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 3:20am
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

ahhh my favorite topic mechanics and materials !! here is my late entry responding to esnift.

"...... There is not some magic force that reverses spin. Changing incoming topspin to outgoing topspin comes from the force you apply and the angle of you racket....."

DISAGREE. a spinning ball will reverse the spin because it's getting a huge reverse torque from the high friction surface. Otherwise your topspins would comback to you as backspin... like it happens with LP opponent, where the surface can't impart reverse torque through friction.

While the degree of reverse torque will depend on the angle, the fact that it will havea reverse torque wont.

And i also think if you are having your racquet face down while blocking, you will convert a component of the incoming spin momentum from rotational kinetic energy to linear kinetic energy by increasing the spin of the ball.

I'd have to disagree with you disagreeing Wink I think if you read my post with reference to sido's question it will make more sense, as the rubber surface was specified. though i understand that someone with a background if physics was probably screaming "what are you talking about, where is the normal force etc."

I was simply trying to explain that the ball doesn't reverse spin because it hit something. if you hold your racket at a 90 degree angle to the ground to block an oncoming topspin shot before the ball hits its apex the spin won't be reversed but it will be slowed, and there will be a change in velocity (meaning speed and direction). Along the same wavelength if you tilted your racket beyond the 90 degree mark angling away from the table (i dont know why anyone would want to do that, just an example), even though the surface of the racket is high friction, there will not be any spin reversal, this will be a clear example of a velocity gain because the ball will continue traveling in the same direction but at a higher speed.

That is where the angle of the racket comes into play which i was trying to explain to sido. by changing the angle of the racket you can increase or decrease the amount of force applied as a torque. So saying that there is always a reverse torque isn't exactly correct. there will always be a torque due to the unopposed friction force.
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

Mithrra View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithrra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 3:51am
I think TT is able skills and blade + rubber quality factor rather than debating about physics laws here......
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
*Non-Stop Changing Equipments!!!*
HADO ST
ASUKA 1 ply hinoki
Accoustic FL
AVX J-Power

KKT Cho Tokusen-Tenergy05
esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 3:57am
Originally posted by debraj debraj wrote:

"Drop a superspinning ball straight down onto a super grippy floor. What do you see?"

Gulca, great logic. now would you do this?

spin a ball (preferably a racquetball to get enough friction on floor, and enough momentum as it happens with incoming tt shot) with forward spin.
... and throw it with some velocity in forward direction to the floor.

yes now you are mimicing exact condition (if you throw somewhat fast).

which way is the ballspining after dropping? ( you can put a mark on the ball to identify the rotational direction)

[what you just said is the condition of suboptimal friction condition, not enough to reverse the spin that i mentioned (<2m/s).]

I'm not sure where you are getting this automatic reversal idea. Gulca's example of dropping a spinning ball on the floor is what i was trying to illustrate with the paddle perpendicular to the floor example. I wish i could draw you a free body diagram to explain what's going on.

the key thing going on here with a stationary block from a high friction paddle is that the only factors involved that make a difference are the moment of inertia of the ball which is very small, total kinetic energy (translational and angular), momentum, and torque. The main thing being torque. the same amount of torque is not applied in the same direction as you change the angle of the contact surface, this is why your bouncing a racket ball on the floor example will give a different result. it does not have to do with a "suboptimal friction condition" even though friction is related to velocity in this instance as it will change the amount of normal force exerted on the ball as friction force is derived from the coefficient of friction multiplied by the normal force.

Take this example if you slice under you ball sending it vertical as with a backspin serve motion then allow it to drop onto the paddle while keeping the it parallel to the ground. the expected result if the paddle is flat will be a ball that now has a greater translational velocity in the x direction and no angular velocity. this adheres to you equation given above in that incoming speed and out going spin are negligible in that Xinitial = Y final + energy lost or 1/2 I*(omega squared) = 1/2 mass*(velocity squared)
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 4:13am
And you could argue that would be spin reversal but i look at it more in the sense of converting one type of energy into another (rotational to translational).
now if you change the angle of the paddle against the direction of rotation it will reverse the rotation of the ball, not to equal the initial angular velocity however, and send the ball directly back up in the air. In this case enough torque was applied in the right direction to spin the ball the opposite way and send it up a small distance in the air.
if you then angle the paddle with the rotation of the ball torque is applied which only slightly slows the ball in its spin but adds to the velocity.

I hope you understand my example. both of you are mostly right and i'm trying my best to explain. not saying i'm always right but i am quite confident about this. Wink
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 4:14am
And Mithrra you may have a point, but it's all in good fun and knowledge is power baby.
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 9:45am
Originally posted by esnift esnift wrote:

if you tilted your racket beyond the 90 degree mark angling away from the table (i dont know why anyone would want to do that, just an example), even though the surface of the racket is high friction, there will not be any spin reversal, this will be a clear example of a velocity gain because the ball will continue traveling in the same direction but at a higher speed.

Actually, when the ball hits a stationary object, it's physically impossible for the speed of the ball to increase after contact, because no extra force is applied. Only a moving paddle can increase the ball's speed.

Arthur Lui
Revspin.net - Table Tennis Equipment Reviews
Top USATT Rating: 2131
esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by ppgear ppgear wrote:

if you tilted your racket beyond the 90 degree mark angling away from the table (i dont know why anyone would want to do that, just an example), even though the surface of the racket is high friction, there will not be any spin reversal, this will be a clear example of a velocity gain because the ball will continue traveling in the same direction but at a higher speed.

Actually, when the ball hits a stationary object, it's physically impossible for the speed of the ball to increase after contact, because no extra force is applied. Only a moving paddle can increase the ball's speed.

Sorry but that's incorrect Sleepy When the ball hits a stationary high friction surface there is an unopposed torque from static friction force and when the angle of the blade is complimentary with spin direction, that torque acts to propel the ball with greater speed but less spin. Essentially converting speed into spin, but not to exceed the total rotational and translational energy at the beginning minus work lost.

Did you even try the experiment I outlined? I doubt it because the ball is clearly traveling at a higher translational velocity while spin has been greatly reduced or stopped depending on the scenario.

What you may be thinking of is conservation of momentum. That is true that momentum in this scenario will not change but thats just reaffirming what I am saying because angular momentum(i) + linear momentum(i) = angular momentum(f) + linear momentum(f)
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

esnift View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote esnift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 2:50pm
ok debraj, i read some of your posts again and realize what you mean by reverse torque, i think.
When the ball hits the high friction rubber the unopposed torque coming form static friction force is always contrary to the direction of spin. so i see why you said "reverse torque."

however, you can change how torque applied to the ball by changing the angle of the racket with relation to projectile velocity, spin, and gravity.

I've been trying to think about a situation without gravity or velocity and in that instance angle of paddle would not matter (within a 2D plane).
YE
Hurricane III
Tenergy 05fx

ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 2:54pm

Originally posted by ppgear ppgear wrote:

Sorry but that's incorrect Sleepy When the ball hits a stationary high friction surface there is an unopposed torque from static friction force and when the angle of the blade is complimentary with spin direction, that torque acts to propel the ball with greater speed but less spin. Essentially converting speed into spin, but not to exceed the total rotational and translational energy at the beginning minus work lost.

True, I forgot to factor in the torque. My bad.

Arthur Lui
gulca View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2008 at 4:36pm
Here is an explanation using my 2 examples.

We agree to the followings
1. spinning ball touching a surface would lose its rotational velocity. It will never reverse. It would go towards zero.
2. Translational velocity would increase.
3. Change in direction because of the grip.
4. A spinless ball hitting a surface at an angle would get rotational velocity, topspin towards it's direction. Hitting the ball vertically downward to the floor won't create any spin. It would lose some translational velocity tending to zero.

Now to silo's and debraj question of why blocking a topspin would get a topspin back instead of underspin.

First, we take the trajectory of the topspin ball before the block as a reference. For fun, I'll ask some questions you can try to answer which will lead to the mystery.

1. What if a spinless ball with the same trajectory hits the closed angle racket? Where would the ball be bouncing?

2. What spin would this ball have after the bounce?

Now for the next reference, we take the trajectory of the original blocked ball back to the hitter.

3. What if a spinless ball following this trajectory is going back to the hitter? What spin would this ball have after the bounce?

4. What happens when a very slow topspin ball is blocked on a grippy rubber at a closed angle? What direction would the ball go? What spin would the ball have? How much spin is this compared to the original topspin?

Now add questions 1,2 with 3,4 where you have a fast topspin ball hitting a closed racket and you will find the answer!

bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2008 at 1:43am
what i would like to know is that trick where you throw the ball against the raquet and the ball would hop very strange on the table.
sidofmillenium View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/05/2008 at 3:27am

If I try to through a balloon really hard....it just stays here...but if I give it a gentle push...it travels forward..why?(if this has to do w/ the point where air friction equals gravity and the speed of the falling object becomes same then does that mean that every object has a different point when that happens?)

Am I being clear enough?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2008 at 3:23pm
Basically what I was trying to ask is that earlier...someone mentioned that a ball w/ a slight backspin will travel farther than a straight hit shot...I am wondering why....
Tomii View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2008 at 3:58pm
Because the backspinned ball is "floating" while a topspinned one goes down. The spin is pushing the air upwards, thus the airflow will be faster there. This cause the pressure at the bottom to be higher than the top, thus pushing it upwards.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_Rtenkmt6M

Self-made video please watch and comment
gulca View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gulca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2008 at 6:15pm
Here are another 2 questions for the serve masters:-

1. What type of spins can you serve with your racket facing up throughout the swing?
2. And how do they work (ie how should the swing go)?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2008 at 12:33am

It can produce all sorts of spin...it just has to do in what direction you graze the ball...but doing topspin is tricky....when you do that....you gotta graze the ball upward when the head is facing either left/right....b/c if its directly pointed upward....its hard to topspin.

Now back to my question....at when angle should a hit the ball and how much touch should I put on it to make it go the farthest?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2008 at 10:11am
Alright...forget about this question....when we hit a kill....why should we do follow through?  B/c it seems like the less follow through we do...the more intense and controlled the kill is....then why is follow through so popular?
pongcrazy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongcrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2008 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by SIDOFMILENIUM SIDOFMILENIUM wrote:

Alright...forget about this question....when we hit a kill....why should we do follow through?  B/c it seems like the less follow through we do...the more intense and controlled the kill is....then why is follow through so popular?

Power and Speed...........  How many home runs would be hit in baseball if you just stopped your swing as soon as you contacted the ball.  Follow though completes the contact and propels the ball.  I am really wondering if some of these questions are for real.
Viscaria, H3 Neo, Coppa X1 Gold
7p2a-7t, TG2 Neo, Acuda S2
metalone View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote metalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2008 at 2:22am
Originally posted by SIDOFMILENIUM SIDOFMILENIUM wrote:

You want to follow thru, so you excellerate through the contact of the ball.  It is taught in all contact sports, so you dont stop too soon.
Gave up listing, too many changes.
Blade - Yes
BH - Rubber Red
FH - Rubber Black
ppgear View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/15/2008 at 6:44pm
In reality, the only thing that matters is the speed that you hit the ball at the point of contact (and during the small window of time that ball is sinking into the sponge, ie: dwell time).

But in order to achieve the highest racket speed at the point of contact, you need follow-through. If you try to end your stroke soon after making contact with the ball, you're likely not hitting it at max speed at the point of contact. In the length of your swing, the slowest points are at the start and the end, and somewhere in the middle of the swing is the highest racket speed. So the timeline is:

Slow --> Faster --> Fastest --> Slower --> Slow.

And so the highest speed is somewhere near the middle, maybe not exactly in the middle, but somewhere in that region, and if you try to stop your swing right after contact, then it's late in the timeline and isn't at maximum speed.

But theoretically they can make a robot arm whose top speed is near the end of the stroke, but that's not how we humans are.

Arthur Lui
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2008 at 1:42am
Why does a 45 degree backspin ball curves to the left when it is going toward your opponent?(b/c a 45 degree topspin ball does the same...it just doesn't travel as far...)
Mithrra View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithrra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2008 at 1:50am
Train hard.... then scientific equation will work according to your way.....Tongue
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
*Non-Stop Changing Equipments!!!*
HADO ST
ASUKA 1 ply hinoki
Accoustic FL
AVX J-Power

KKT Cho Tokusen-Tenergy05
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidofmillenium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2008 at 9:59pm
Why does thicker sponge adds speed?(since blade is harder than the sponge.....the less the sponge...the greater force blade must be implying on the ball.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2008 at 1:41am
HOnestly, I don't believe it always does.  I think a soft sponge over a hard blade can actually slow it down as it get thicker.  Whereas a harder sponge over  a slow blade can speed it up.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic