Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Serving under the tossing arm: Is it Legal?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serving under the tossing arm: Is it Legal?
    Posted: 12/16/2007 at 4:54pm
Serves:

I've seen many pros and many tournament players (including me for about 3-years) toss the ball high with the tossing hand leaving that arm out across the body, then serving under that arm. That has become one of my best serve forms, but last week in an informal match my opponent told me it was an illegal serve. He said, "You cannot block the opponent's site of the ball by having your arm in the way."

Is this true?
I can't believe it's true because nearly everyone does it.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
Sponsored Links

Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 5:07pm
The rule says that the tossing arm must be moved behind your hip asap after tossing.. so, yes it's illegal!
Blade: Butterfly M. Maze Off ST

Rubbers: Bluefire M2 2.0
LeRome View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeRome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 5:12pm
yeah, it's true, you are no longer allowed to shield the serve with the free arm, that rule has been in effect since... 2002?  if you pay attention to matches on tv, none of the world class pros serve under their arm anymore.
BL: Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive Penhold
FH: DHS Skyline TG2 2.2mm
BH: Nittaku Hammond 2.1-2.3mm
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 5:12pm
Yes, it is illegal.  The serve rule is that you must remove your free (toss) arm from the path between the ball and the net, so as not to hide the ball at any time; the ball must be visible in its entire path, from toss to contact.  If you leave your toss arm in the path of the ball toss as it comes down, it obstructs the ball as it drops and is illegal.  You have to either pull your arm to the side immediately or continue dropping your toss arm so that your ball contact is ABOVE the arm.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 5:13pm
But, nearly everyone serves this way.
Do the umps just turn a blind eye to this?
Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 5:14pm
A lot of pro's serve illegal.. Wang Liqin and Schlager for instance

LeRome View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeRome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 5:16pm
maybe in club plays and small tournaments where matches are not officiated very closely, but world level tournaments, it's definitely a no no, unless if you can shield it very subtly that it's almost unnoticeable by umps.  club level, some people might get picky about it, but the picky person is right:  no shielding.
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 5:19pm
There are so many pros serving like this in world class tournaments.
Perhaps they let them serve this way because it adds some flare?
LeRome View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeRome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 5:23pm
nah, it's just so subtle that it doesn't really affect the game play that much, watch some old matches of wang liqin and compare his serves to more current matches.  the ball used to go between that little gap he makes with his body and arm, now even though his serves can be argued as illegal, it still goes outside of his body, not shooting between the gap that he makes.  and more noticeably, ma lin's serve differences, there was definitely shielding back in the days in his serve, now his arm is definitely out of the way at the moment of contact, even though sometimes he shields a bit with his body.
Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 5:44pm

they serve even worse now adays.. They were allowed to hide the ball back then, but now theyre not.. they still do it though

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 6:06pm
My guess is that as long as you do not block the ball at the exact moment when the racket hits the ball then not much harm is done... i actually thought that this WAS the rule, meaning block all you want while the ball is in the air but you need to open the view at the moment you hit the ball.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 6:10pm
The vast majority of players have something in their serve that is illegal if you go by the strict letter of the law.  IMO, the serve rule is ridiculously and needlessly complicated.
Schlager View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 6:13pm
it's really quite simple.. toss the ball straight upwards, minimum 16,5 cm (over the net) and don't hide the ball nor the racket..

ksu06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksu06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 6:31pm
I know this really old guy at the club (like 70 years old or something) who not only blocks the ball with his arm but doesn't even toss the ball.  He just sort of turns his wrist backwards and lets the ball slide off his palm, then he leaves his arm up and suddenly you see a ball coming at you!  I mean, come on!  Talk about ultimate cheapness!
Offensive CR
FH: H3 (2.2)
BH: V-Stage (2.0)
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 6:37pm
He probably can't toss it anymore.
ksu06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksu06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by tommyzai tommyzai wrote:

He probably can't toss it anymore.

Ha ha ha!  You are probably right.  The way to beat this guy: 15 ft. lobs ... I'm convinced he can't slam faster than 5 mph!
Offensive CR
FH: H3 (2.2)
BH: V-Stage (2.0)
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 6:47pm
He might look up at your high lop and his head will fall off.
jctlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jctlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by ksu06 ksu06 wrote:

I know this really old guy at the club (like 70 years old or something) who not only blocks the ball with his arm but doesn't even toss the ball.  He just sort of turns his wrist backwards and lets the ball slide off his palm, then he leaves his arm up and suddenly you see a ball coming at you!  I mean, come on!  Talk about ultimate cheapness!
Mind you, the ITTF rule only applies when you are in sanctioned tournaments. Otherwise, even people's equipment may not be legal. For instance, people still won't give up speedglue even noext year and people may not have sponges under their topsheet. A lot of the older guys have never gone into sanctioned tournaments and probably never had proper trinning. They basically learn as they play. They just enjoy the game. Nothing wrong with that. If you don't like it, just don't play with them.
mdjenders View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdjenders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Schlager Schlager wrote:

it's really quite simple.. toss the ball straight upwards, minimum 16,5 cm (over the net) and don't hide the ball nor the racket..

Actually there is no longer a rule about hiding the racket.  You could hold the racket under the table and then quickly bring it above right before striking the ball.  Apparently it is not so simple Wink.
rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 7:46pm
it has been illegal to serve under your arm for like 5years :S

its like asking whether its legal to play with the old ball size.
Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Acuda S1
WLiqin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WLiqin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 9:05pm
tommy,
    Although everyone here says that in the ITTF rules, the serving arm can not be in the path of the ball, i think its as long as the arm does not block the sight of the ball. Your blade movement can be concealed, but the ball itself must always be visible. Whether or not your tossing arm is out, you can still serve under it as long as the opponent never losses sight of the ball, along with the umps...i think, but i may be wrong
Clipper Wood
H2 2.2
Refoma 2.0
back to EE2...
rustyfo View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustyfo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 10:31pm
uhm its physically impossible to serve under your arm without your opponent losing sight of it.... Unless you toss, move your arm out of the way, then when it passes below the arm you thrust the arm back out and touch the ball so it goes under the arm, but thats just stupid lol.
Blade: Tibhar Samsonov Alpha

FH: Tenergy 05

BH: Acuda S1
WLiqin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WLiqin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 10:35pm
uhmmm...yea....what i mean is that even when you serve you keep your tossing arm still after you toss the ball and make contact with the ball while the arm is still in the air...not when its so close to your body that it shields the ball...
Clipper Wood
H2 2.2
Refoma 2.0
back to EE2...
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 11:22pm
Nearly every video I watch features this serve mode, even training dvds.
Well, I'll find a way to stay legal, but be tricky. Any suggestions?
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 11:34pm
stop watching old videos then lol
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 11:35pm
Black-n-white should have been my clue!
T h e N A M View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T  h  e  N  A M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 11:57pm
watch ryu's xiom training video... :D
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T  h  e  N  A M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2007 at 11:57pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T  h  e  N  A M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 12:01am

it shows clear version of serve, and unclear version of serve

loop+loop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loop+loop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/17/2007 at 7:55am
And Wang's

showing clear and unclear serves.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic