Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Setup too heavy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
roenie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Setup too heavy
    Posted: 06/26/2013 at 1:07pm
The only blade I've played with in recent years is the Donic Burn Off- all wood at 92g which combined with two Andro Hexer 2.1mm rubbers ends up weighing in at 200 grams total. Is ~200 grams the new normal for an OFF playstyle, or is this easily fixed without losing speed, spin, and feel?

What's the best way to shed some 15-20 grams of weight?
The only problem with my current setup is the weight, I like everything else!

Hexer is great in the short game (for this, i think it helps that it is medium+, not soft). Perhaps I should use softer rubber on the backhand because it's lighter. Softer rubber I fear may either hurt the short game (bouncy), or lack speed, making my backhand attacks slower than my forehand attacks. Does it have to be a choice between the two?

A lighter backhand rubber alone won't save enough weight, so I guess I need a lighter blade too. As long as it does not reduce topspin potential and as long as it's not slower or faster, because I've got just the right amount of speed as it is. I don't know much at all about blades because up to this point I deliberately decided to keep using the same blade to make it easy to EJ with and compare different rubbers until I found rubbers I liked.

Thanks...

Current blade specs:
Elasticity: nearly stiff
5-ply
1+5ply: Mahagony
2+4ply: Awan
Centre ply: Kiri
Weight: 92g

Edited by roenie - 06/26/2013 at 1:25pm
Sponsored Links

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 1:09pm
Add TournaGrip to the handle, see if that helps. Shift the weight towards the handle.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
roenie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 1:12pm
Would that be similar to Tibhar grip tape (which is like Butterfly, but marginally thicker)? I already added that and it does help the balance a little bit, but it's only 2-3 grams. Without it, the setup was 197 to 198 grams.

Edited by roenie - 06/26/2013 at 1:14pm
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 1:24pm
That means your rubber is > 50g each, if you switch to light rubber, even on the BH side, you can probably save 10g.  If I remember correctly my Nitaku Fastarc weight just slightly over 40g.
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 1:29pm
92 grams blade, is very difficult for you to go to 72grams or 77grams.
So if you like to reduce the weight, then blade maybe 10 grams, and then the rest will need to come from your rubbers
tt4me View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt4me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 1:37pm
200 grams is way too heavy.

Shifting weight towards the handle helps the feel but it doesn't reduce the moment of inertia around the wrist. The weight at the handle is still weight that must be rotated if you use your wrist a lot.

I like my Samsonov Alphas.  The head is a little small so rubbers cut for a Samsonov Alpha will not cover another blade but this also means the blade and the cut rubbers are lighter.  I have a Samsonov Alpha with H3 Neo commercial on both sides and it weighs 170.24 gm.  Since the head is a little small the moment of inertia around the wrist is also smaller so rotating the paddle with the wrist is easier than any of the my other paddles.  I have seen threads where people say they don't like the handle.  I add approximately 2 extra grams by adding a rubber grip to make it wider.  There are other threads that list the Samsonov Alpha as a very good looping blade.   
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 1:44pm
Try and find a donic burn all+ in the low 80s and once the hexer is worn out on the backhand use Sriver EL or Mark V on bh
Tommy16 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommy16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 2:09pm
Last year I faced a major problem with my wrist so I had to reduce my racket weight quite a lot. So I changed my much loved Clipper cr to Tibhar Balsa sgs (weight around 70gr). And I have to say that eventough my wrist is a bit better now, I won´t go back to all wood blade. Tibhar balsa sgs doesn´t feel like balsa blade but more like wooden blade. It´s fast enough (not as fast as Clipper cr) but not too slow eighter. It has enough power for me and I think that I´m within the better half of this forum playing level wise. So if you are willing to spend few bucks to testing, this could be a could blade to begin.

Cheers,
Tommi   
What is the point of playing safe shots when you can miss with style

My feedback: http://www.mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=67171&KW=&PID=811763&title=tommy16-feedback#811763
silva7 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silva7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by mhnh007 mhnh007 wrote:

That means your rubber is > 50g each, if you switch to light rubber, even on the BH side, you can probably save 10g.  If I remember correctly my Nitaku Fastarc weight just slightly over 40g.

yes Fastarc S-1 is around 41-41g 

so blade is 92g + 2 x hexer should be around 185 +/1 5

T05 cut generally weighs around 46-47g for me and Hexer cannot be heavier than T05.
can you weigh the blade again to confirm??? 
your hexer weighs 50+ when cut?? that is a really heavy Hexer you are using.
i find using a lighter blade helps. i prefer 81-86 to be pretty good for me.
RSM Special Platinum T64
roulage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roulage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 2:40pm
Try to search a lighter piece of blade, everytime is possible to find lighter one. Second thing, try to think to change bh side for 1.9mm thickness. But this way you can save appr.10-15 gramms max.
Photino+Andro Plaxon
roenie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by silva7 silva7 wrote:

T05 cut generally weighs around 46-47g for me and Hexer cannot be heavier than T05.

I have two Donic Burn Off- blades.
Using my digital Kutchen scale one measured 90g, the other 92g.
Why is "k-i-t-c-h-e-n" without the "-" automatically changed into "Kutchen" every time I try to change it back?
I double and triple checked their weight.
(I chose to use the 92g blade for this setup because the 90g blade has a much higher pitched ball bounce sound.)

After glueing both Hexers onto the 92g blade, the setup measures 200g on the same digital Kutchen scales.
I double and triple checked and I've just weighed it again before starting this thread.

At the club I used the same digital scales to weigh the setups of two clubmates. This confirmed mine was the heaviest by far as the other two were 163 and the other in the 180 range where you'd expect those to be. (the 163 had sriver fx on both sides).

Edited by roenie - 06/26/2013 at 2:56pm
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 3:03pm
http://www.paddlepalace.com/Ma-Lin-Extra-Offensive/productinfo/SYMAE/

The YEO have about the same power, more control and weights in @ 84 gms.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
The Observer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by roenie roenie wrote:

The only blade I've played with in recent years is the Donic Burn Off- all wood at 92g which combined with two Andro Hexer 2.1mm rubbers ends up weighing in at 200 grams total. Is ~200 grams the new normal for an OFF playstyle, or is this easily fixed without losing speed, spin, and feel?

What's the best way to shed some 15-20 grams of weight?
The only problem with my current setup is the weight, I like everything else!

Hexer is great in the short game (for this, i think it helps that it is medium+, not soft). Perhaps I should use softer rubber on the backhand because it's lighter. Softer rubber I fear may either hurt the short game (bouncy), or lack speed, making my backhand attacks slower than my forehand attacks. Does it have to be a choice between the two?

A lighter backhand rubber alone won't save enough weight, so I guess I need a lighter blade too. As long as it does not reduce topspin potential and as long as it's not slower or faster, because I've got just the right amount of speed as it is. I don't know much at all about blades because up to this point I deliberately decided to keep using the same blade to make it easy to EJ with and compare different rubbers until I found rubbers I liked.

Thanks...

Current blade specs:
Elasticity: nearly stiff
5-ply
1+5ply: Mahagony
2+4ply: Awan
Centre ply: Kiri
Weight: 92g
My blade is 100g and I use Tenergy on both sides, the whole thing weighs 190g. You got the numbers wrong
roenie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 3:14pm
It is still possible that my scales that I just bought are crap and they have a percentile inaccuracy, let's say 10%.
In this case it will show 4g as 4g (because 4+10%=4.4 and this gets rounded down).
But 182g will show up as 200g in this case.

So to check this I just did a little test. The max weight it can handle is 5kg. I grabbed a pile of books that my person scales (that you stand on if you're fat) say are about 4.2 kg. I then put them on my digital Kutchen scale and it read 4.7 kg which is about a 10% difference.... I better run to a different store tomorrow and try my blade+rubbers on different scales....

Edited by roenie - 06/26/2013 at 3:35pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 4:30pm
if your scale is indeed 10% off
now knowing your bat is now 180 grams. will you be happy with the weight in your hand?
as maybe the only thing bothering you is what the scale telling you, or maybe you still feel it is too heavy?
roenie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 5:02pm
It feels too heavy to me but I am not a good judge because I was using very soft, light weight rubbers before. Of course it's going to feel heavy to me... so possibly I just need to get used to it.

Just gotta check the weight with different scales and make sure.... will report back with the results.

Edited by roenie - 06/26/2013 at 5:06pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by roenie roenie wrote:

It feels too heavy to me but I am not a good judge because I was using very soft, light weight rubbers before. Of course it's going to feel heavy to me... so possibly I just need to get used to it.

Just gotta check the weight with different scales and make sure.... will report back with the results.

ZA Penholder's point is that the number doesn't matter - whether the felt weight is because of head-heaviness or balance or being actually heavier, you probably either need to change it or adapt to it.  The scale won't give you much info as the number won't change how the blade feels unless you think it is heavy just because of the number.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
roenie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 5:13pm
I know, and it does actually feel quite heavy to me but my point is that I could be trying to get used to a blade that's far too heavy without knowing it, because I can't judge it coming from such a light setup. Doing such a thing can be a mistake for one's game (and tendonitis) which is why I bought the scales to make sure i didn't create a Frankenbat. You could've given me a 250g setup and told me it was 190g and I probably would have believed you.

Edited by roenie - 06/26/2013 at 5:25pm
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/26/2013 at 6:23pm
You guys are too limp wristed. Here's my man-blade. It's a Joola Extreme from the late seventies with 729 faster and Mark V.

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
crackfst View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crackfst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 1:40am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

You guys are too limp wristed.

totally agree.

Your guys hand/wrist and lower arm muscles are just underdeveloped if you cant maneuver a 200g blade around...

I always have to laugh when people say their equipment is too heavy at 200g(thats like the weight of an apple lol) or something.

Stop being wusses and work out if you are too weak
Darker Speed 90 Jpen
Tenergy 64
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 4:57am
HAHA

In South Africa, so many people want under 85 grams blades
90 grams to them is too heavy......
roenie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 5:32am
Originally posted by crackfst crackfst wrote:

Stop being wusses and work out if you are too weak

I would appreciate a change of tone and if not, keep it out of this thread. Thank you.
roenie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 5:34am
Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Joola Extreme from the late seventies with 729 faster and Mark V.

Cool. That handle looks like it accounts for about half that weight!
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 6:06am
Roenie,

There are plenty of 85gram allwood offensive blades.
You can even get carbon blades that are that weight too.
Some blades with Balsa core are even lighter.

Some of the light blades are not expensive, ie Yinhe T2 - clone of Butterfly Primorac Carbon is under 80grams. and not thick like a normal balsa blade.

I am guessing your setup is 92gr + 42/5g +42/5g, so I think it is between 175grams to 180grams.
go to a 82gram blade, and your setup will be 165 to 170grams - and that is really light - maybe too light for some
roenie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 8:28am
Originally posted by The Observer The Observer wrote:

My blade is 100g and I use Tenergy on both sides, the whole thing weighs 190g. You got the numbers wrong

I thought you might be right, so thinking perhaps my scales were bad,
I went and bought new digital scales today.
More expensive, <1g accuracy according to the manual.
It weighs my setup at 193 grams. (instead of 200 like the other, lower quality scales said)
It says my other Donic Burn Off- blade is 86g.
That makes the one I have the rubbers attached to 87g, because it's 1g heavier (measured both before).
That makes the Hexer 2.1mm rubbers ~51g each.

87 (blade) + 51 + 51 = 189
+ ~4 (grip and edge tape) = 193.

@The Observer: which version of Tenergy and thickness are you using?

Edited by roenie - 06/27/2013 at 9:27am
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 9:14am
I didn't understand originally how a small headed blade at 92 grams (pretty light blade) and two Hexers added up to 200 grams... If you have shonky scales then that explains it. You would expect that setup to be more like 180, 185 MAX
roenie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 9:23am
I do not have dodgy scales. The ones I bought yesterday (and returned today) were off by 7 grams.
The ones I bought today are perfect.
The hexer rubbers are actually that heavy. 51g each.

Originally posted by silva7 silva7 wrote:

Yup!

Edited by roenie - 06/27/2013 at 9:40am
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 9:24am
Wow.  I did not know that digital Kutchen scale can be off by as much as 10% Confused.  I have to check my scale tonight to see if my scale calibration is any good...
roenie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 9:31am
It was ~3.63% off. I suspected 10% but no... it's still a heavy setup at 193 (190 without grip tape).

Edited by roenie - 06/27/2013 at 9:34am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 9:57am
did you vanish your blade?
that is about 1gram to 2gram per side, depending on how many layers.

what glue did you use, and how many layers?
that can be 1 to 2grams per side too

And wow, your Hexer at 51 grams is heavy.....

I think go lighter blade + lighter rubbers.
and problem solved

Edited by ZApenholder - 06/27/2013 at 9:58am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic