Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Setup too heavy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
roenie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 10:08am
No varnish.

Donic Blue Contact (for large pored sponges) it is just water based glue that's a little thicker than the others.
I applied two thin layers to each rubber and one to either side of the blade, so nothing excessive.
The moisture evaporates so every water based glue ends up weighing basically nothing.
I even blow dried (with cold air) the glue to speed up the process before attaching the rubbers.
And a day later, the weight of the setup hasn't changed, indicating that the glue is dry.

I've emailed Andro about it, suggesting it as a manufacturing defect. I wonder what kind of response I'll get.

Thanks for the suggestions submitted thus far, and I don't mind if you keep them comin', at all. Smile
I'll do some research on all of the suggestions.

Edited by roenie - 06/27/2013 at 7:55pm
Sponsored Links

The Observer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 10:17am
Originally posted by roenie roenie wrote:

Originally posted by The Observer The Observer wrote:

My blade is 100g and I use Tenergy on both sides, the whole thing weighs 190g. You got the numbers wrong

I thought you might be right, so thinking perhaps my scales were bad,
I went and bought new digital scales today.
More expensive, <1g accuracy according to the manual.
It weighs my setup at 193 grams. (instead of 200 like the other, lower quality scales said)
It says my other Donic Burn Off- blade is 86g.
That makes the one I have the rubbers attached to 87g, because it's 1g heavier (measured both before).
That makes the Hexer 2.1mm rubbers ~51g each.

87 (blade) + 51 + 51 = 189
+ ~4 (grip and edge tape) = 193.

@The Observer: which version of Tenergy and thickness are you using?
I used Tenergy 05 FX and 64. It seems your blade is bigger than mine. 
bluebucket View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 11:03am
My blade is currently 197grams. It's not that heavy, you'll get used to it. You wont find many professionals using blades under 95grams and they are all using 50 gram rubber, it's pretty normal

Edited by bluebucket - 06/27/2013 at 11:04am
roenie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 11:36am
Andro's response:

Every rubber that shall be delivered to a shop or a retailer as well as to a customer is getting checked by the factory very carefully. We do not deliver any rubbers that do not fulfill the highest quality standards.
Thus you can be sure that the rubbers that you are playing right now are rubbers of excellent quality and there should not be a bigger difference to other rubbers from the same model.

So finally we can say that the rubbers that you have should have the same stable characteristics than every other Hexer rubber on the world.

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 12:01pm
Where did that come from Andro China :)?? I've never seen a German with English like that.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 12:56pm

Originally posted by Tinykin Tinykin wrote:

Joola Extreme from the late seventies with 729 faster and Mark V.

Cool. That handle looks like it accounts for about half that weight!

Actually, the handle is smaller than average: 30x22.5mm. The head however is huge: 153x168mm

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

It feels too heavy to me but I am not a good judge because I was using very soft, light weight rubbers before. Of course it's going to feel heavy to me... so possibly I just need to get used to it.

Just gotta check the weight with different scales and make sure.... will report back with the results.

ZA Penholder's point is that the number doesn't matter - whether the felt weight is because of head-heaviness or balance or being actually heavier, you probably either need to change it or adapt to it.  The scale won't give you much info as the number won't change how the blade feels unless you think it is heavy just because of the number.
Recently I had a Xiom Axelo +T05. It felt quite heavy compared to my Bty Kenny +MarkV. I weighed them and was shocked to find that the Xiom weighed about 15g heavier.
This supports what you say about feel. The Kenny blade at 199g actually felt lighter because of its better balance (to me).
Regular speed gluing in the old days would have made the blade and the rubbers quite heavy. At a guess, the average bat probably weighed about 195g+. 

Blade:
Darker Speed90

Delusion is an asset
roenie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/27/2013 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by bluebucket bluebucket wrote:

Where did that come from Andro China :)?? I've never seen a German with English like that.

The export / promotion department of schoeler-micke, written by a german employee. Smile

Edited by roenie - 06/27/2013 at 7:52pm
batt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote batt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/28/2013 at 3:32am

About the weight of glue:

I've found water glue adds about 7 grams for the whole bat. Quite a lot. I use 2 medium layers.
ttping85 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ttping85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2013 at 4:14pm
My suggestions to get a lighter setup withtout changing too much of it:

Select a lighter Donic Burn off (I have one 84gr). You can ask tabletennis11 to help you with that. They are very helpful in my experience. So you can get 8gr off on the blade. 

You can also try to select lighter Hexer Rubbers. There can be up to 3-4gr difference on cut sheets. You can get off 6-8gr there as well.  

You can also switch to a lighter rubber on one side as suggested before. Again you can get off 5-10gr there depending on what rubber you chose. 

If you glue with normal VOC glue (not speed glue) instead of WBG you can also get 2-4gr off. 

Personally I switched from a 185gr setup (91gr Mizutani + 2x 45gr T64 2,1 + 4gr WBG) to a 168gr setup (84gr Mizutani + 42gr T64 2,1 + 40gr T64FX 2,1 + 2gr VOC Glue) without changing too much. 

Edited by ttping85 - 07/10/2013 at 4:16pm
My list of blades for sale https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wYci9423byd3X43DhSsaXOmysNKMfK-RnPWSo3UfpkQ/edit?usp=drivesdk
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2013 at 11:58am

Recently I had a Xiom Axelo +T05. It felt quite heavy compared to my Bty Kenny +MarkV. I weighed them and was shocked to find that the Xiom weighed about 15g heavier.
This supports what you say about feel. The Kenny blade at 199g actually felt lighter because of its better balance (to me)

I agree, and to add to this, I think that blades feel heavier when more of the weight is in the head.  About the only time I think really light blades help people is when they have injuries in wrists, elbows or shoulders.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2013 at 12:04pm
I think I would seriously strain my shoulder or elbow if I had to play hours per day the style I do with a light bat, like say 180 grams or less. That is way too light. My swing and impact dynamics would be all wrong and it would wreck havoc on my body. Thank God my bats are 190 grams minimum with my preferred ones getting up around 210 grams with excellent balance and feel.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
roenie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2013 at 1:33pm
What is your style and why would a light bat cause you injuries when playing that style?
Also makes me wonder what kind of weight and height you are, roughly.

Edited by roenie - 07/13/2013 at 1:53pm
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2013 at 6:12pm
Roenie, I am a flexible all-out attacker, favor very heavy openers, powerloop if it is there. I am 87 kg and 172 cm height. It is all about starting the power and for me, it does not happen at all with a light bat, acceleration and feel are terrible with a light bat. I can bring the swing, heavy bat be damned, heavy feels better to me by far, but I need balance, never head heavy - that really sucks. 
Ask a top amature or a pro how they feel if suddenly, they had to play a match with a 175 gram bat, when they are normally using 200-210 gram bats... They will hate on you in a hurry. First things they will bitch about are feel and lack of power. A strong swinger can bring the heat with a heavy bat and for a pro, they crave the heaviest rubber and blade of their choice. There is a reason why they do that - that stuff performs better for them and they have the muscle fitness to cope with it.

Edited by BH-Man - 07/13/2013 at 6:14pm
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2013 at 6:17pm
I have been known to take off a handle and fill in the empty space with hide glue or whatever I can to add precious weight where I like it - LOW.
A 85 gram blade, even if I like it, is simply too light for me. After such a treatment, it is well over 90 grams. NOW we are cooking with oil. That is more like it. The Calix II was my best experience doing that.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2013 at 6:25pm
After I cracked my M. Maze via swinging into a club member walking through my court while I was rallying in a point, (which I also had made 10 grams heavier the same way) I went to the much lighter 896 ALL+ looping blade getting a few of these blades in the upper 80s in grams.

Overall weight was much lower (BARELY 190 grams) and the speed of the bat is much slower, so the swing dynamics are much different. It took me a month to get my wrist used to the change, ditto with my shoulder. I had to swing much harder to get less speed on powerloops, but counterlooping and countering close to table became MUCH easier.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/13/2013 at 8:43pm
After adding some moar weight to the hollow area in one of the halves of the handle of the 896, the bat should be much closer to 200 grams now. Gunna try it out today!
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2013 at 10:58am
My bat would be under 150grams, I get huge power
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluebucket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2013 at 11:24am
The main benefit of heavier weight is consistency, it's just so much easier to swing the same speed and have accurate timing with a heavier bat. You can hit a ball plenty hard with a 150 grams balsa but not many will play as well with it as they will a 190 gram setup that pacifies their swing
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2013 at 11:50am

The main benefit of heavier weight is consistency, it's just so much easier to swing the same speed and have accurate timing with a heavier bat. You can hit a ball plenty hard with a 150 grams balsa but not many will play as well with it as they will a 190 gram setup that pacifies their swing
I have a 5 ply blade (no balsa) and using heavier is not an issue but with ox pimple's on one side, blades will usually weigh less

Just saying I can hit as hard as anybody using a lite setup
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2013 at 12:04pm
It is not about power, it is about power and feel together (another interpretation of what Bluebucket said in his last comment).  For me, blades too light feel hollow, although I am sure I would hit pretty much just as hard with them.  On the other hand, people who play LP or OX P almost always seem to prefer much lighter blades because they like the resulting feel on the pips side, which is the side that matters from their point of view.  Most of the really good players I know (2400-2600) like their blades around 90g or even more in one case.  But it matters a lot where the weight is on the blade.  Even light blades that are too head heavy can feel "heavy", so experienced people reviewing blades often mention whether or not they like the weight distribution.  That's why Butterfly "powertape" is not a great idea, and also why weight from grip tape doesn't really matter. 

Edited by Baal - 07/14/2013 at 12:05pm
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2013 at 12:57pm
there isn't that many 2400-2600 players for most mortals to try and compare themselves too, 
I realise most high level players, will be more likely to know their  setups weight, as per your reasons above and maybe their training, advice and age will lead them to a specific weight target,
but the average US player is more like 1400, without formal training and not aged between 19 and 30, so should those players have simalar heavier setup's?

Does the orginal poster now like his blade/setup since  his new scales weighs it less?Tongue
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2013 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

I realise most high level players, will be more likely to know their  setups weight, as per your reasons above and maybe their training, advice and age will lead them to a specific weight target,

In my experience, the vast majority of players including those at 2400+ (and coaches) have not got a clue as to the weight of their setup. 
I only started weighing my bats because others on MYTT were posting their bat weights and making comments.

Edited by Tinykin - 07/14/2013 at 6:52pm
Blade:
Darker Speed90

Delusion is an asset
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2013 at 6:50pm
double post

Edited by Tinykin - 07/14/2013 at 6:51pm
Blade:
Darker Speed90

Delusion is an asset
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/14/2013 at 7:15pm

Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

In my experience, the vast majority of players including those at 2400+ (and coaches) have not got a clue as to the weight of their setup. 
I only started weighing my bats because others on MYTT were posting their bat weights and making comments.

me too , I had no idea that one setup of mine was 40 grams different lol
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2013 at 1:06am
After adding at least 8-10 grams to the handle area off my ALL+ looping blade, I am liking it MUCH better. The feel at impact is a LOT closer to what I am accustomed to and like. Speed of the ball is not quite like the TBS, but it is a LOT better and I will not be griping about the speed of the setup. Heck, the Arirang will be out soon anyway.
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2013 at 1:31am
when I order a new blade I leave a note to give me the heaviest they have and cancel the order if what they have is under 88gr. I had light and heavy Korbel, light and heavy Primorac, and still have light and heavy TBS, and the heavy blade is always more consistent. sometimes I try my friends paddles at the club and they are kind of light and I hate how it feels in high speed block or counter loop. if you have high speed rallies its kinda hard with light setup. 
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Benigma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benigma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2013 at 1:39am
+1 to the post above.
I much prefer heavy and more solid-feeling blades over light ones.
roger_rabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger_rabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2013 at 6:37am

There are still a lot of German with poor English.

Google translator is their 1st choice.Ouch
Main: Boll ALC FL 93g, FH: H3 Prov 39d bl. BH: T80 1.9 red

Spare: Boll Spirit AN black Tag 90g, FH: H3N Prov. 40d bl. BH: T80 1.9 red

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/15/2013 at 11:27am
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

when I order a new blade I leave a note to give me the heaviest they have and cancel the order if what they have is under 88gr. I had light and heavy Korbel, light and heavy Primorac, and still have light and heavy TBS, and the heavy blade is always more consistent. sometimes I try my friends paddles at the club and they are kind of light and I hate how it feels in high speed block or counter loop. if you have high speed rallies its kinda hard with light setup. 

Absolutely. But asking for a heavy one doesn't always work if the blade is becoming scarce.  Certain Btfly blades are almost always out of stock and it seems they have been making a lot of lighter ones these days.  It can be frustrating. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic