FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

SF East Bay: Coach Lin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 6:27am
Originally posted by pongmaster pongmaster wrote:

He was only only postulating the possibility.  But I think you understand, there is something fishy going on here.  Though I trust the authenticity of nathanso's review, JaredTTSmith is clearly another account made by Lin.  You can see the drastic change from the relatively well worded review he first prepared to his reply to idk, the grammar of which is much more characteristic of Lin.  
What I understand is that it's far more important for some people to find ways to attack Lin, and that includes smearing nathanso in the process. Apology to nathanso still required.
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Originally posted by pongmaster pongmaster wrote:

He was only only postulating the possibility.  But I think you understand, there is something fishy going on here.  Though I trust the authenticity of nathanso's review, JaredTTSmith is clearly another account made by Lin.  You can see the drastic change from the relatively well worded review he first prepared to his reply to idk, the grammar of which is much more characteristic of Lin.  
What I understand is that it's far more important for some people to find ways to attack Lin, and that includes smearing nathanso in the process. Apology to nathanso still required.

+1

This is a strange thread and I can see why people are suspicious.  But Nathanso has been here forever and didn't deserve this!

Also, there have been way too many threads lately that start out fine and before long you have to duck to avoid the $h1+ people are flinging at each other.  It got much worse quite recently--far too often even a single person can cause it.  It is starting to take the fun out of chatting about ping pongConfused It's ping pong for god's sake!  Not religion or politics or monetary policy or the future of the universe! 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 9:23am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

+1

This is a strange thread and I can see why people are suspicious.  But Nathanso has been here forever and didn't deserve this!

Also, there have been way too many threads lately that start out fine and before long you have to duck to avoid the $h1+ people are flinging at each other.  It got much worse quite recently--far too often even a single person can cause it.  It is starting to take the fun out of chatting about ping pongConfused It's ping pong for god's sake!  Not religion or politics or monetary policy or the future of the universe! 

Ultimately, it is the tone that the board owners/moderators desire.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 11:26am
Lol you guys act like I slandered the hell out of nathanso or what I said was some huge crime. I simply stated the obvious and it's very possible. OK so I wasn't aware that nathanso has done some equipment reviews in the past, does that exempt the possibility that he's friends with keith and just wanted to get in on the joke a bit? Not at all. Plus, if nathanso's review was 100% legit, why would Keith later feel the need to create another fake account to bolster his credibility after getting vouched for? Let's use some common sense here guys. 

Let's up the ante. I'll have my friend in the area right now visit the club at the date and time you claim to be having the lesson. If he verifies that it's going on, I'll give the formal apology that people requested. I'll be waiting for the PM.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 11:45am
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

I first learned of hunkeelin aka Coach Lin in another thread on this forum, and despite the flame war that ensued there, was sufficiently intrigued by his previous training and accomplishments in HK to take him up on his $15 for 30 minutes introductory offer. That he coaches in the same county I live in was also a plus. In fact, the training ended up taking place at my home TT club, Concord Table Tennis Club; a club that has no staff coaches and thus no objection to freelance coaches using the facility to train club members (not all Bay Area clubs have this policy for perfectly understandable business reasons).

There are 5 available coaches at the Concord TT Club.  I'm surprised that since you've been in the area for so long that coach Bill Lui  (CTTC) did not help you with your issues.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by jt99sf jt99sf wrote:

I first learned of hunkeelin aka Coach Lin in another thread on this forum, and despite the flame war that ensued there, was sufficiently intrigued by his previous training and accomplishments in HK to take him up on his $15 for 30 minutes introductory offer. That he coaches in the same county I live in was also a plus. In fact, the training ended up taking place at my home TT club, Concord Table Tennis Club; a club that has no staff coaches and thus no objection to freelance coaches using the facility to train club members (not all Bay Area clubs have this policy for perfectly understandable business reasons).

There are 5 available coaches at the Concord TT Club.  I'm surprised that since you've been in the area for so long that coach Bill Lui  (CTTC) did not help you with your issues.
"Available coaches" are not "staff coaches" - staff coaches have an agreement to share proceed with the club in return for exclusivity.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

+1

Ultimately, it is the tone that the board owners/moderators desire.

You guys should start a support group. LOL

The problem is that apparently very few people have the ability to evaluate these situations objectively outside of social influences. Lin did deserve a certain amount of shit for his bragging, but was actually quite quick to apologize and even fairly introspective when this was pointed out to him. Whereas for people following moral conduct this would've been a signal to stop, the group dogpiling dynamic of folks trying to relive their high school days continued to pound away at the same tired hyperbole as if actually true. His position as the "outsider" against the establishment just made this worse and it's no different than the "cool" clique picking on the new foreign kid. I imagine this is how school shootings happen. Shocked

AgentHEX View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgentHEX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by idk idk wrote:

Lol you guys act like I slandered the hell out of nathanso or what I said was some huge crime. I simply stated the obvious and it's very possible. OK so I wasn't aware that nathanso has done some equipment reviews in the past, does that exempt the possibility that he's friends with keith and just wanted to get in on the joke a bit? Not at all. Plus, if nathanso's review was 100% legit, why would Keith later feel the need to create another fake account to bolster his credibility after getting vouched for? Let's use some common sense here guys. 

Let's up the ante. I'll have my friend in the area right now visit the club at the date and time you claim to be having the lesson. If he verifies that it's going on, I'll give the formal apology that people requested. I'll be waiting for the PM.

Are we to give you more benefit of the doubt than you give nathanso?

If that's the case your friend should up the ante another notch and do the trial himself.
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

"Available coaches" are not "staff coaches" - staff coaches have an agreement to share proceed with the club in return for exclusivity.

Actually,  I'm more curious about the question I posed. I've known Bill Lui for over 30 years and he'd be more than happy to help anyone at the club with a question.

Edited by jt99sf - 09/05/2013 at 5:16pm

nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 6:21pm
Bill may have retired from coaching. I haven't seen him at the club in many months, perhaps due to health reasons. I participated in two of his past classes at CTTC but I was using a Seemiller grip at the time. Switching to shakehand changed everything and meant I had to develop FH and BH strokes again from the ground up.

I'll be training with Lin this Sunday at CTTC from 10:30-11:30 if anyone would care to observe. Please respect our privacy and do not photograph or video our play without explicit permission from both players.
BBC, SP, LP
ZApenholder View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZApenholder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 6:26pm

Bill may have retired from coaching. I haven't seen him at the club in many months, perhaps due to health reasons. I participated in two of his past classes at CTTC but I was using a Seemiller grip at the time. Switching to shakehand changed everything and meant I had to develop FH and BH strokes again from the ground up.

I'll be training with Lin this Sunday at CTTC from 10:30-11:30 if anyone would care to observe. Please respect our privacy and do not photograph or video our play without explicit permission from both players.

I think in this day and age, privacy is the last thing we have WinkWink
Hope you guys have a good session on Sunday
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/05/2013 at 6:28pm

OK,  good luck.  Hope you can learn penhold too. LOL

hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 12:05am
Dear Jt99sf, idk and pong master. 

After 1 week in internet jail. I came to reflect upon myself. Only pathetic internet trolls like you and me will think about tarnishing your reputation for laughter. The difference between me and you however, is the fact that my reputation couldn't get any worst after my antics, it'll only head in one direction from now on. 

Edited by hunkeelin - 09/07/2013 at 12:13am
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 1:06am
Originally posted by hunkeelin hunkeelin wrote:

After 1 week in internet jail. I came to reflect upon myself. Only pathetic internet trolls like you and me will think about tarnishing your reputation for laughter. The difference between me and you however, is the fact that my reputation couldn't get any worst after my antics, it'll only head in one direction from now on. 

All the signs of a great coach.

hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 1:21am

No, sir, it's a sign of naivety. Though I am/claim to be a professional at what I am doing. Sadly, you will never know, either you are too far or too ignorant to try, like it matters. The ignorant ones are the most difficult to coach, always fall back in the plays they are used to never try new stuff they learnt in lessons. Oh wait, am I feeding the trolls again /=.

Edited by hunkeelin - 09/07/2013 at 1:43am
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 1:44am

No, sir, it's a sign of naivety. Though I am/claim to be a professional at what I am doing. Sadly, you will never know, either you are too far or too ignorant to try, like it matters. The ignorant ones are the most difficult to coach, always fall back in the plays they are used to and not trying new stuff they learnt in lessons. Oh wait, am I feeding the trolls again /=.

Yes, you're naive. You can also look me up on the USATT web site under certified coaches, I'm on the second page on the state of CA.

idk View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote idk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 2:11am

No, sir, it's a sign of naivety. Though I am/claim to be a professional at what I am doing. Sadly, you will never know, either you are too far or too ignorant to try, like it matters. The ignorant ones are the most difficult to coach, always fall back in the plays they are used to never try new stuff they learnt in lessons. Oh wait, am I feeding the trolls again /=.

Cool man FYI 22 year old players who were 2600+ don't fall to a 1600 level, even if they put down the racket for 8 years, just for the accuracy of your future lies of past glory.
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 2:57am
Here we go again. 

Trolls aside. Nathanso, thank you very much for your honest review, made me blush a little. You have my thanks. I apologize if writing such a stellar review have tarnish your reputation a little, but as more and more people are willing to "try" me, your credibility will only grow. 
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 10:54am
Info for hunkeelin.

Our club has 4 coaches.  The coach that got most of the business happens to be the one who has the lowest playing level - defying logic here.  Many other factors play into the equation - he is the very first one started coaching here, he got some children as his students first, then other parents just send their children to him to take lessons.  He is very dedicated.
The point here is that you don't have to have the highest playing level to be successful in coaching business.  No need to brag your playing level.

SF bay area is a TT hot spot.  If you can not get enough business there, forget about the TT cold spot like where our club is located.  None of our coaches can makie a living on coaching TT - they all have other jobs.

skip3119
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 12:39pm

Here we go again. 

Trolls aside. Nathanso, thank you very much for your honest review, made me blush a little. You have my thanks. I apologize if writing such a stellar review have tarnish your reputation a little, but as more and more people are willing to "try" me, your credibility will only grow. 

It's so funny for a self centered newbie to call others trolls. You were the one trolling for paying students and look at your attitude!

@Nathanso, it's your choice how you spend your money. I think you should read your 'coach's' posts before further commitment. He has NO credibility with me.

nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 1:43pm
My opinion of Lin's coaching remains unchanged. That doesn't necessarily mean I'd hire him to be my company's Internet marketing manager.
BBC, SP, LP
stiltt View Drop Down
Assistant Admin
Assistant Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stiltt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 1:48pm

My opinion of Lin's coaching remains unchanged. That doesn't necessarily mean I'd hire him to be my company's Internet marketing manager.
that is funny.

nathanso you know how to pull the best out of people and to avoid/ignore any dark side they may have if you can; the world is a better place with more people like you Clap
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 2:00pm
Too many time and space in mytt for this fictional "coach"...

hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

that is funny.

nathanso you know how to pull the best out of people and to avoid/ignore any dark side they may have if you can; the world is a better place with more people like you Clap

He is the only one in this forum that meet in me real person. I keep my opinions and mouth shut on the matters that is not related to what he pays for and I intend to do so for whom would try me for good. 
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 2:18pm

Just rem you're paying him to be nice. Enough said.

hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by skip3119 skip3119 wrote:

Info for hunkeelin.

Our club has 4 coaches.  The coach that got most of the business happens to be the one who has the lowest playing level - defying logic here.  Many other factors play into the equation - he is the very first one started coaching here, he got some children as his students first, then other parents just send their children to him to take lessons.  He is very dedicated.
The point here is that you don't have to have the highest playing level to be successful in coaching business.  No need to brag your playing level.

SF bay area is a TT hot spot.  If you can not get enough business there, forget about the TT cold spot like where our club is located.  None of our coaches can makie a living on coaching TT - they all have other jobs.

Never brag, just drunk type my friend. Though whats done is done and I won't deny it. I agree on everything you said skip, not like I don't already know it. The coach level of play have nothing to do with the quality of service they could provide, unless there is no multiball. 

Edited by hunkeelin - 09/07/2013 at 2:26pm
hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 2:25pm

He have enough coaches in his past to judge which coach best suits him. Your insults is starting to direct to him now. I don't mind you insult me because I deserve it, but I think you are a out of the line now; you owe an apology to nathanso.  

There might be a small possibility that you are envying me because a 22 years old raging internet antic troll is doing your job better than you? Just my opinion, like it matters in this forum. You decide. 
jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 2:26pm

that is funny.

He is the only one in this forum that meet in me real person. I keep my opinions and mouth shut on the matters that is not related to what he pays for and I intend to do so for whom would try me for good. 

I am in the Bay Area, I'm sure we'll meet sooner or later.

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 2:31pm

He have enough coaches in his past to judge which coach best suits him. Your insults is starting to direct to him now. I don't mind you insult me because I deserve it, but I think you are a out of the line now; you owe an apology to nathanso.  

There might be a small possibility that you are envying me because a 22 years old raging internet antic troll is doing your job better than you? Just my opinion, like it matters in this forum. You decide. 

Thats really for you. would you be nice to him free of charge?

I have all the students I can handle.  Better than me in what way ??  please do tell.

Have you done much on the National level??  some of my US Nationals medals.

hunkeelin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunkeelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/07/2013 at 2:32pm

that is funny.

I am in the Bay Area, I'm sure we'll meet sooner or later.
Then why don't you keep your opinions in nanthso's review authenticity until you meet me in person? Look, coaching tt isn't even my part time, to me its just for fun. Not like I am going to ryour ruin your business. Direct your insult to me but don't insult my students, I believe you won't go that low right? 

Fatt, nathanso isn't the only one, you decide to lift my ban even before nathanso write his review. Don't know where your intuition comes from, but your decision is right and thanks. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic