Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Shakehand or Penhold???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
George.Storm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shakehand or Penhold???
    Posted: 11/22/2007 at 2:14pm

Hi,

I have been playing penhold for a while, even though i am using a premade dunlop 'spin' racket which has a shakehand grip, and i am lrearning RPB and i really like it. However at my club, everyone is telling me to switch to shakehand ( the better players are), as I always lose to them and they try to tell me how to play with their grips (shakehand).

So I was wondering, would getting a proper penhold racket help? Or should I just make the switch, as they tyell me that I will be able to p[lay better if I change???

Thanks
Sponsored Links

masterbuten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masterbuten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2007 at 2:19pm
since you're just starting out, why don't you try shakehand just so you know how it feels.  you can always go back to penhold if you don't like it
Stiga OC CR
FH DHS TG2
BH DHS TG3
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2007 at 4:31pm
yeah i agree. change now since its still early.
Butterfly Viscaria
FH: DHS Hurricane 3
BH: Stiga Calibra Sound

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2007 at 4:40pm
Hi,
Well, I have been playing for a while with penhold (several months properly, although i ahve played for several years, just very rarely) and i ahve always used penhold, and I am now using RPB, what I want to ask is that are there any benfits of shakehand, or would some problems be solved by getting a penhold blade, rather than having a cheap premade shakehand bat?

thanks
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2007 at 4:44pm
personally, i think all pen-hold players that arent either chinese, japanese, or korean are "wannabes". in my opinion, shakehand is the standard grip. chinese (&co.) uses this pen grip, and since they make so much progress in the world other ppl do this "OMG I WANNA DO THAT TOO!!!" and also does the pen grip. XD might be sounding stupid.

but i suggest if you're really going to train serious, go shakehand. maybe in a match when the score is 10-10 set point 2-2 you could change your grip. well nvm that, that was just plain stupid as well.

SHAKEHAND
Butterfly Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2007 at 4:57pm
Hi,
By the way, what is the best way to keep your rubbers in good condition using water, cold or warm? And should I dry it, or just leave it to dry?
Thanks
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2007 at 5:03pm
hello there
Butterfly Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2007 at 5:09pm
Hello there?
I know its off topic, but do you have any idea about keeping rubbers in good condition using water, and slo, how to get rid of an air bubble, and what problems one will cause,
Thanks
Wawaicetea123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2007 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Asaomi Asaomi wrote:

personally, i think all pen-hold players that arent either chinese, japanese, or korean are "wannabes". in my opinion, shakehand is the standard grip. chinese (&co.) uses this pen grip, and since they make so much progress in the world other ppl do this "OMG I WANNA DO THAT TOO!!!" and also does the pen grip.

SHAKEHAND

i would say it is not common for other decents to use pengrip. but there has been some good euro penhold loopers and i am a penholder and my backround is from norway. i didnt start playing penhold becouse i thought the chinese were so good and wanted to play like them. penhold is diffrent and thats what i like. dont insult me and other white penholders becouse we play a diffrent grip.
Kreanga Aeros ST
FH: Tenergy 05 Red 2.1
BH: Flarestorm II Black 2.1
Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2007 at 5:16pm
air bubble? is it between the blade and the rubber? if so, i suggeset you
1. reach out and pull the rubber off the blade (this if you assembled the paddle by urself. if not, dont do anything)
2. re-glue the rubber onto the blade and use some pole to roll it on from the handle making  sure this time that there are no bubbles.

"what problems one will cause?"
simply, airbubbles are bad xD. totally different characteristics when the ball hit the rubber at the point. just try to glue ONLY they sides of the rubber onto the blade with the middle loose, and you will get what i mean.
Butterfly Viscaria
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2007 at 5:50pm

no response?

Kreanga Aeros ST
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2007 at 6:06pm
I know a big black guy, who used to be an All American Football player. He uses a Penholder Grip because in college the players in his dorm were Asian and taught him how to play. This guy hits the ball harder than many top players. I'm a white guy, who normally lives in China. I use the ONLY true American grip . . . Seemiller! I felt a sense of pride playing with the grip and style of the best American to ever play the game. Sadly, due to some serious nerve damage in my neck, shoulder, and wrist, I might have to switch to penholder or go lefty.

What's wrong with being a "Wannabe?" I wannebe the best I can be and I'll do so with whatever grip works best for me. I understand where Asaomi is coming from, but I don't agree.

I relate to Wawa on this matter . . . I like feeling different and special with my style of play. And let's admit it . . . the Chinese are COOL when it comes to ping pong and what's wrong with wannabeing like them? There are some GREAT Euro and Scando players, but they just don't look as cool. :-). Their arms and legs are too long. (This is said for fun, so don't go beatin' on me).

In conclusion: whatever feels right physically and mentally to you is the style you should use, regardless of your origin.
For More Info, PM or Email me: [email protected]
5jd33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5jd33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2007 at 6:11pm
Zoran Kalinic comes to mind.

Originally posted by wawaicetea123 wawaicetea123 wrote:

personally, i think all pen-hold players that arent either chinese, japanese, or korean are "wannabes". in my opinion, shakehand is the standard grip. chinese (&co.) uses this pen grip, and since they make so much progress in the world other ppl do this "OMG I WANNA DO THAT TOO!!!" and also does the pen grip.

SHAKEHAND

i would say it is not common for other decents to use pengrip. but there has been some good euro penhold loopers and i am a penholder and my backround is from norway. i didnt start playing penhold becouse i thought the chinese were so good and wanted to play like them. penhold is diffrent and thats what i like. dont insult me and other white penholders becouse we play a diffrent grip.
Haneyoshi/Globe 999/ TSP Spinpips
ProfessorChaos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProfessorChaos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2007 at 6:24pm
yea i agree...the chinese look better than the euro's with any grip....especially cpen with rpb

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1CIS_aKqwq8

check out this Chinese Super League match between Xu Ke (15) and Zhang Jike (19)....if this is the level that Chinese youth are playing at these days.....wow....shakehand grip as well...but the new chinese loop style that chinese youth learn is awesome...the using whole arm loop drives are crazyyy

funny thing is...both these kids are unrated in the world rankings(as are a LOT of other skilled chinese players that were/are on the 1st chinese national team)...well xu ke is ranked 134 but that is way old because he rarely competes outside china....

given the chance.....i bet 60 of the top 100 spots in world rankings would likely be from china....
Yasaka Max Carbon 3D FL
Desto F1 Max
Sriver FX Max
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2007 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by George.Storm George.Storm wrote:

Hello there?
I know its off topic, but do you have any idea about keeping rubbers in good condition using water, 
Thanks

Use a damp leather chamois (the one you use to wipe the water off the car after washing it). If water drips when you wipe the rubber, it means the leather chamois is too wet and you have to squeeze out some more water. After this process usually the wet rubber get dried within seconds by itself. If not, then it means you have too much water content in the leather chamois.
After it is completely dry, use tacky film on the rubber. This will maintain the performance of your rubber.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2007 at 9:59pm
zoran kalinic yep he sure is the man, world doulbes champion and runner up, is he a blocker by anychance? i was watching appelgren vs kalinic and all he did was block his spinny balls.
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

http://www.youtube.com/MDSguy

Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2007 at 6:23am
Originally posted by wawaicetea123 wawaicetea123 wrote:

SHAKEHAND

hehe,
by background if chinese. at least im a chinaman who lives in norway. i just think it looks wierd when a "white" (hate that term) uses pen. just like a soccerplayere was using baskedball shoes since he wanted to jump high up or something like that...
Butterfly Viscaria
drywater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drywater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2007 at 7:12am
lol ya foreal it is wierd seeing crackers play penhold. its not natural and you seem like a poser. but if u have more fun playin that way thats all you. and dont let those better players tell you what to do because one day youll be better then them. thats how i see it for me atleast.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2007 at 8:01am
Hi,
Well, when I started to play (on and off at about 8 years old) I thought penhold was cool, but i now love it because of the RPB!
Also i find it more natural and easier to use than shakehand!

Onto the water topic, so I should only use a tiny amount of water?
And so if it doesnt dry within a minute then its too much?

Thanks
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2007 at 8:31am
yeh use it on a sponge that u use when cleaning ur dishes, helps  recover the tackiness too!
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

Asaomi View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Asaomi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2007 at 8:37am
how old r u now?
Butterfly Viscaria

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2007 at 12:19pm
Hi,
I am only 16 now, but as I intend to take table tennis seriously, I would like to get a grip and stick to it, im asking if anyone thinks it would be worth me trying shakehand out? And also if anyone thinks that I can do just as well with either grip.

Thanks for the info!
In_this_pace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In_this_pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2007 at 3:36pm
The funny thing is that I first took blade in my hands at 17. I tried playing shakehand, and my FH was awkward but playable though. But the BH... that was horrible. I didn`t have any ball feeling from BH, I often couldn`t get the paddle to touch the ball )))

And one of the older guys at university said: "Why don`t you try and hold it the way those Asians do?" It worked. It felt very natural for me. I still don`t know why, maybe because I got my right arm broken twice (wrist at 3 y.o and elbow at 5)

Another thing, more sad than funny. I started playing at a local yard with tables and though I didn`t play regularly, I established myself wrong FH drive movement (with my shoulder moving too high). So the serious training started last summer. A guy came to our yard, serving spinny serves and I just had no idea what to do with them. So I decided to get myself a coach and I was happy with his understanding reaction when I said I wouldn`t change my grip. A great amount of time was spent to break the old habit and to establish correct FH movement.

And, finally. I still have no ability to play with the second side of paddle. I gave up trying to learn RPB and the light setup seems to be more comfortable for me, especially with BH blocking and driving
BTY Lapuhta ALL+
FH: Mark V 2.0 black
In_this_pace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote In_this_pace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2007 at 3:38pm
Forgot to say.

George.Storm, if you feel penhold grip is natural for you, choose it but only if you`ll get a coach who treats the penholders good )))
BTY Lapuhta ALL+
FH: Mark V 2.0 black
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2007 at 4:03pm
I'm moving back to China on Feb 1, 2009. I'm sure I'll find coaches there. :-). George, if you don't have any luck, come visit me and I'll hook you up.
theman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2007 at 5:20pm
lol my coach despises penholders! he keeps on saying oh they got a bad bh!
and im like; what about RPB? and hes like: i dont see the power!

and im like...oh....ok....and thats how im shakehand now! hahahahahahaha

actually this isnt my coaches ignorance at all, that was just a little joke from him, but hes just shakehand and so if i wanted to be penhold, he cant teach me hes got no clue.
i lost my racquet

Schlager u beast

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wawaicetea123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/23/2007 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by drywater drywater wrote:

lol ya foreal it is wierd seeing crackers play penhold. its not natural and you seem like a poser..

woah thats very uncalled for. what have i done to you?
why am i all the sudden racist becouse i play penhold,and how am i a poser?
Kreanga Aeros ST

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2007 at 11:50am

Hi,

Thanks for all of the replies, I was wondering, should I use water on my bat before or after I play?

And lets not have any offensive comments please, were just talking about table tennis for goodness sake!

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2007 at 2:38pm
Hi,
forgot to mention, what is the best way to get rid of an air bubble,

Thanks
tommyzai View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Senior Animator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommyzai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/2007 at 3:10pm
I do my best to roll out the air pockets, but sometimes they're stubborn and I'm forced to stick it with a pin and push the air out . . . like a pimple.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic