Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Short pips or not

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2015 at 9:58pm
SP is an interesting way to play, and they have certain advantages.

1.  They can be really useful for serve return, especially flicking short serves, and the balls often take a strange side bounce when you do that.

2.  They can be very disruptive on blocks.

3.  The spinny ones, like Raystorm for example, can generate surprising amounts of spin on serves and opening loops, for example against underspin.  People often misjudge the amount of spin on those shots.  Again, balls can take strange side bounces, often into the body of the opponent.  These are pretty much always slow loops, but if you learn to keep them low, it messes people up for awhile. 

4.  They are capable of enormous speed variation.  Slow balls go very slow and when you hit hard, they ball goes very fast.  WIth a little practice, you can get opponents to make lots of timing errors, and they are not sure why it is happening.  Excellent margin for error in the short game.

5.  Fast flat hit balls are disruptive and tend to be returned into the net.

There are some things you will need to adjust to.

1.  They are substantially lighter rubbers than inverted I think. When I eventually gave up on SP after several years, and went back to inverted, one of the things that was tough at first was the greater weight of the setup.  If you add SP to one side, like the BH side, it will actually change the way the FH side plays, even if you keep the same inverted rubber on the FH.

2.  You will need to probably change your grip some to accommodate the more open racket angle you will need to use on the SP side.  This will also affect the way you play the inverted side.

3.  I still maintain that effectively counterlooping from middle distance with SP is just not something you can rely on doing well consistently.  They are a liability if you get backed up, and you don't need to get backed up very far for that to be a factor.  You have to stay close to the table, and closer than inverted. Every coach who teaches SP play (and back when I was trying to play that way, I talked to a bunch, including coaches in China) and they all emphasized that.  I experienced it first hand for quite a few years.  Watch any good SP player and see how they play.  Watch what they can do and what they can't.  Yes, if you speed glue the SP it helps some (but illegal obviously, now). It is important to not put yourself in the position where you have to try to make that shot.  It is not a winning strategy.   

4.  This will affect the way you approach your stroke on the inverted side.  You will need to probably make that stroke shorter and smaller.

5.  If you are a penhold player who likes to block, SP are probably the best thing you can use.  At elite levels of male players it is not a style you see much anymore, but for any club player it is still a very viable style. 

I am really not exaggerating about the problems at mid-distance.      
Sponsored Links

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2015 at 10:37pm
In my case, after playing SP for a year and a half (both sides, BTW, trying to imitate Johnny Huang; tested 802, 802-40, Spectol(s), and about 4-6 other pips) I returned to inverted. My reason: annoying lack of control against all kinds of low, gentle, close to the net balls. "Powerplay", especially smashing underspin and blocking low to medium quality loops was tonnes of fun, but doing something smart with close to net half-dead balls just did not work for me with SP.
Does anyone have similar experience?
EDIT: ...with the OP in mind... you might find out that this "numbness" in close to the net play might be a really big difference compared to H3Neo behavior, which is just great for that.

Edited by JacekGM - 10/19/2015 at 10:45pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2015 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

In my case, after playing SP for a year and a half (both sides, BTW, trying to imitate Johnny Huang; tested 802, 802-40, Spectol(s), and about 4-6 other pips) I returned to inverted. My reason: annoying lack of control against all kinds of low, gentle, close to the net balls. "Powerplay", especially smashing underspin and blocking low to medium quality loops was tonnes of fun, but doing something smart with close to net half-dead balls just did not work for me with SP.
Does anyone have similar experience?

I have been using short pips for the last 10 years, and total of 15 years.  With all due respect, you need to stick with pips for a few years to fully understand what you need to do with pips in different situations.

Yes, you are right about short gentle or dead (no spin) balls near the net; however, you are not supposed to "control" those type of balls.  You have to flip those balls and initiate attacks.  Those are the bread and butter shots for short pips.

Here is a real challenge for short pips.  If your opponent find a way to push you off the table (about 5 feet or so), then you are in trouble if you have short pips.  This is the only challenge that I can think of (or at least for me).
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/2015 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by wturber wturber wrote:

Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

None of this is news to wturber.  None of it.

And SPs do not counterloop - they can rally, but they do not counterloop. Counterloop means inverting and generating heavy topspin.  SP doesn't do that against a real inverted loop.

But of course, wturber knews this too. 

I am a wturber fan, but I am trying to avoid two of my favorite posters arguing over things that don't matter.

Nah, for my part the topic ends with this post.  Baal is simply making some pretty significant exaggerations.  Things don't apply the same at the club player level as they do at the elite international level.  At the elite levels "small" differences are much more meaningful. At club levels, the disadvantages diminish radically and can even become advantages. The OP should take Baal's comment about the SP disadvantages off the table with a few grains of salt.  In real world club play getting driven off the table now and then isn't such a big deal just because you're swinging short pips.
As for looping with hardbat, I'm fine with the notion that my best topspin attack with hardbat isn't a loop. I've no problem with that at all.  But I'd also point out that few players I've faced rated under 2000 ever actually loop either.  If I can "counter-loop" your loop from 8 feet off the table with a hardbat, do you really want to call it a loop? I'm thinking not.

This is fair.  But do realize that below the 2000 level, under 2000 level loopers are facing under 2000 level pips players.  That is also a relevant point.  You played with inverted to a decent level, and if you at 1900 can counter a 1600 loop with something that really generates topspin in the forward direction, that is tricky but reasonable.  IF you at 1900 can consistently counter a 1900 loop with something that generates real topspin , then something needs to be looked at more closely.

I mean, if you see me counterlooping with a 1700- player, I look like a superstar.  When I counterloop with a 2000 level player, my lack of mobility shows up, but I rally decently.  And when I counterloop with a 2300+ player, it looks like I don't know how to hit the ball.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 2:39am

Edited by roundrobin - 10/27/2015 at 12:43pm
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 3:15am
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Honestly, having personally played Wturber at our LATTA round robins and also witnessing him upsetting one of our top 2100+ rated junior girls, his counterloops were fairly effective because they were essentially dead balls that messed up his opponents' timing.  This junior girl told me she lost because his drives and counters had no spin at all.

And this is where it gets hard for me to judge.  I hear things like that from players at times, but I also remember playing another 2100 level player who in the middle of his match with me stopped to exclaim to his club members on the side that I was spinning the ball more than he was.  Obviously, that was an exaggeration.  But I also watch video of my play and observe inverted players routinely hitting long on my higher spin shots.   Of course, I'm not overpowering them with spin.  I know that.  My point is that the amount of spin matters and forces errors - even with hardbat.

My take on it is that it is all relative.  The young junior was used to dealing with lots more spin and less spin gave her calibration problems.  And that example makes my point that something that is fundamentally a negative at a high level can actually be an advantage at even the advanced club level.  

But my point in objecting to Baal's comment wasn't to discuss my play or (heaven forbid) promote hardbat. My point is that I find it fairly incredulous to suggest that getting driven off the table a bit is a dire thing for a short pips player.  It may not be optimal, but it is hardly as hopeless as Baal has suggested. 
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 3:34am

Edited by roundrobin - 10/27/2015 at 12:43pm
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 3:35am

This is fair.  But do realize that below the 2000 level, under 2000 level loopers are facing under 2000 level pips players.  That is also a relevant point.  You played with inverted to a decent level, and if you at 1900 can counter a 1600 loop with something that really generates topspin in the forward direction, that is tricky but reasonable.  IF you at 1900 can consistently counter a 1900 loop with something that generates real topspin , then something needs to be looked at more closely.

Firstly, I know few 2000 level and below players who counter-loop consistently - especially during a match.  And that's kinda the core of my point.  Most club players in the 2000 and below category don't really have to deal with tons of spin - even from supposedly "looping" inverted players.  

I don't really know how to judge the spin on my shots well since I'm not receiving them.  What I do know is that if I'm 6-8 feet off the table and in decent position with my feet, that I can drive the ball with enough spin and arc so that I can hit the table with lots of pace. Can I put the same arc on the ball and get the same jump off of the table as a well-trained 2300 level two-winged looping inverted player? Of course not.  Not even close. But I can get enough spin on the ball so that I can drive the ball at 50+ mph and keep the ball on the table.  In other words, I can put pressure on most opponents.  Short pips rubber with sponge should have an even greater potential - or you could choose to hit flatter which could actually be more troublesome for some players.

I mean, if you see me counterlooping with a 1700- player, I look like a superstar.  When I counterloop with a 2000 level player, my lack of mobility shows up, but I rally decently.  And when I counterloop with a 2300+ player, it looks like I don't know how to hit the ball.

I know some 1700-1800 level players who put tons more spin on the ball than higher rated players.  I think ratings apply more to players and significantly less to strokes.  I've largely practiced "counter-looping" with other players so that I can give them better practice and warm-up.  It is hardly my "go-to" tactic.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 3:40am

But my point in objecting to Baal's comment wasn't to discuss my play or (heaven forbid) promote hardbat. My point is that I find it fairly incredulous to suggest that getting driven off the table a bit is a dire thing for a short pips player.  It may not be optimal, but it is hardly as hopeless as Baal has suggested. 

I agree with you on that point, definitely.  Smile  Within five feet of the table or so is nothing.  SPs and hardbat players can move into position and counter the ball pretty hard with a drive/smash without any problem.  I've seen it done in person by LGL, Johnny Huang, Jiang Jialiang and Teng Yi many times.

And that's my core point.  My abilities or lack of abilities are largely beside the point except that they are my direct experience and hence my major point of reference.  If I can do a thing, then others can surely do that thing much better.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 4:15am

<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">
</span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">Firstly, I know few 2000 level and below players who counter-loop consistently - especially during a match.  And that's kinda the core of my point.  Most club players in the 2000 and below category don't really have to deal with tons of spin - even from supposedly "looping" inverted players.  </span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 16.8px;">I don't really know how to judge the spin on my shots well since I'm not receiving them.  What I do know is that if I'm 6-8 feet off the table and in decent position with my feet, that I can drive the ball with enough spin and arc so that I can hit the table with lots of pace. Can I put the same arc on the ball and get the same jump off of the table as a well-trained 2300 level two-winged looping inverted player? Of course not.  Not even close. But I can get enough spin on the ball so that I can drive the ball at 50+ mph and keep the ball on the table.  In other words, I can put pressure on most opponents.  Short pips rubber with sponge should have an even greater potential - or you could choose to hit flatter which could actually be more troublesome for some players.</span>

</span>

I know some 1700-1800 level players who put tons more spin on the ball than higher rated players.  I think ratings apply more to players and significantly less to strokes.  I've largely practiced "counter-looping" with other players so that I can give them better practice and warm-up.  It is hardly my "go-to" tactic.

Your points are noted and I made mine to convey an idea, not to be rigorously scientific without exception. I will note the standard to which I am being held in the future and note that if everyone held you to it, conversation would never occur.
Cybershape Carbon
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 4:52am

Your points are noted and I made mine to convey an idea, not to be rigorously scientific without exception. I will note the standard to which I am being held in the future and note that if everyone held you to it, conversation would never occur.

Goodness gracious.  I didn't think anybody here was being rigorously scientific.  i certainly wasn't trying to hold you to any kind of standard.  I'm just explaining that I look at the situation a bit differently than you seem to. I guess that's one of the risks with short replies.

I'm mostly arguing for people to be less extreme in their advice and approach to what is and isn't possible.  I think the discussions often get too "scientific" and that the situations frequently require something much more heuristic given the actual amount and quality of data at hand  and that once you get past simple general principles, things get very subjective.  I think things are generally a lot fuzzier (particularly at typical club levels)  than many of the discussions here seem to suggest.  It is one of the reasons I tend to stay out of so many equipment discussions.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 5:23am
No one is being extreme - the focus is on what equipment does well and what it does not.  Baal is being partly influenced by trying to make the changes as a very experienced and relatively high level player.  He also used pips on one side and inverted on the other, which makes the contrast starker.  Your main point is that at lower levels, more things are possible largely because the levels of spin are less.  This is very true.   Again, the focus here is on noting/doing the things that the equipment is designed to do well so that the game a person develops is less easily capped by doing things that have lower ceilings.

Cybershape Carbon
kitkit890 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitkit890 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 8:05am
Whoa. The topic went really deep fast. But I learned a lot reading all of this. :)
Blade: 729 Bomb (penhold)
FH: DHS Hurricane III Neo
BH: 729 Focus III Snipe
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 8:30am
Again, watch any good SP player, how they win and lose points and ask again where SP are effective and where they are a liability.  I am not exaggerating.  When a SP player gets pushed back from the table to a position where many standard two wing inverted loopers remain quite comfortable, their odds of winning that point drop quite substantially.  It is a statistical thing.  It is not that they can never hit a good shot or win a point from there.  But it is not where you want to be.

Like I said, this is not some sort of secret knowledge. 
kitkit890 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitkit890 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 8:33am
I would and I would definitely try SP. I'd go get that 802-40, since it's cheap!

Hopefully I won't be an EJ after this.. so many options..

Thanks a lot!
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I just meant that if you are playing a good player and if you use SP with sponge, getting driven back is a very bad thing and you need to shape your game to avoid it.
Im using short pips forehand for the first time (had inverted for the last 35 years) Im using spinlord Degu? something like that , Ive always been a hitter and someone said try them, so as usual without practice Im straight into my west area interclub, Im using long on the other side and my old bat weighs in at a hightweight 143 grams, and one thing I can do well with these pips is smack the ball away from the table (for a good result) ie rehitting their loops

Im just learning what they can and cant do but so far won 5 of 6 matches, my only trouble is containing sidespin wide serves to my forehand, I am trialing hit and hope and that did  get me a win

If anything although I loose some spin with serves and loops, I gain is very hard smacks that fall off their bats, I seldom block but will push, hit and do some looping
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 8:38am
802-40 is a good choice for someone coming from inverted because it is not very expensive (in case you don't like it) and it forgives someone one using a more inverted technique (so you won't get frustrated immediately).  They are quite spinny.  Softer sponge makes it easier for an inverted player to use them, but it also makes it less disruptive for your opponent.  So if you like them, you goal will be to gradually transition to somewhat harder SP that are fast and more disruptive to your opponent.  A lot of top SP users over the years have used Spectol.  That is pretty hard to play with if you have never used SP before, though. 
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Again, watch any good SP player, how they win and lose points and ask again where SP are effective and where they are a liability.  I am not exaggerating.  When a SP player gets pushed back from the table to a position where many standard two wing inverted loopers remain quite comfortable, their odds of winning that point drop quite substantially.  It is a statistical thing.  It is not that they can never hit a good shot or win a point from there.  But it is not where you want to be.

Like I said, this is not some sort of secret knowledge. 
much easier with inverted to loop from their, but short pips kind fun
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 8:45am
Originally posted by smackman smackman wrote:

o ne thing I can do well with these pips is smack the ball away from the table (for a good result) ie rehitting their loops

If anything although I loose some spin with serves and loops, I gain is very hard smacks that fall off their bats, I seldom block but will push, hit and do some looping

Definitely if you do get backed up, and faced with spin, you need to try to hit through it, that is by far the most effective option.  Probably that is easier with SP on a forehand, but I can't say, I only used it on BH.  Pushing low, blocking low, and smacking anything high is a very good way to use SP.  You can loop too, but not with a lot of pace.  Really good players will soon enough figure out the spin and speed of a SP loop and feast off it.  Of course good SP players can be very deceptive about speed and placement of their loops too. 

SP serves can be incredibly effective, especially mixed in with inverted ones.

I should mention that not only did I use SP on my BH for several years, I play against it at least once and often twice a week for most of the last decade.
kitkit890 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kitkit890 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 8:48am
Would definitely try switching to SP. Seems a fun way to play. Also tried playing a defensive chopper and enjoyed that, but it felt like the rallies are.. repetitive? Being a Penhold SP seems like a versatile one. I don't know. But I will try :)
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/2015 at 11:06am
(Jay)  But my point in objecting to Baal's comment wasn't to discuss my play or (heaven forbid) promote hardbat.

Heaven forbid.

Mama don't want no hardbat men 'round here.
Mama don't want no hardbat men 'round here!
We don't care what mama don't allow,
We gon' play short pips OX anyhow,
Even though mama don't want no hardbat men 'round here.
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2015 at 9:27am

I agree with you on that point, definitely.  Smile  Within five feet of the table or so is nothing.  SPs and hardbat players can move into position and counter the ball pretty hard with a drive/smash without any problem.  I've seen it done in person by LGL, Johnny Huang, Jiang Jialiang and Teng Yi many times.

Nothing if you are LGL, Johnny Huang*, JJL, etc. or even David Zhuang.  But it should be pretty obvious that I am not giving advice about what to expect to the greatest SP players who ever lived.  I am writing for the OP, who has played with inverted and who now is thinking about making a switch to SP. I think he wanted to know something about the changes he is likely to experience.  What one of those elite players who used that stuff their whole live can do without any problem is not going to be easy for someone making a switch.   

And even with the great players mentioned, when they played other great players, you can see clearly how they preferred to play. 

*  edit.  Johnny Huang was one of the most spectacular players to watch from his generation, a truly unique player, and over the years I have seen quite a few people put SP on both sides and then try to figure out how to play like that.  (The concept of margin for error seemed not to apply to him). I have never seen a single person get better as a result of trying to play like that.
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/2015 at 11:52pm
Base on the idea of hitting and blocking one thing to remember is that it use difference stroke.

I once tried to transition from inverted to SP and tought by a SP pro, he gave me a sheet of speedy PO soft a recommend it as do it all rubber (he's using Dr.neu killer max).

Once you start to hit SP the bat angle is totally difference, the hitting(contact) time is difference, even if the spinniest short pip need 'THE' angle and good timing for opening loop,hit , blocking'.

Though SP can use the spin generated by opponent if using wisely it became a lethal weapon.
And also it can hurt you the same time with the reason that it not easy to generated spin itself
You will find a hard time to learn that.

There is always a limit. SP is not a do it all purpose rubber.

Nevertheless, you should try SP buy something cheap such as speedy po soft or 729.

I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic