Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sidespon-topspin against backspin?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
33333hhhhh View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 33333hhhhh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sidespon-topspin against backspin?
    Posted: 06/12/2013 at 7:20pm
Hi everyone, I went to a big competition with a 11 yo little girl from my club(ranked around 10 in our country, U13) and she lost to a girl who just overpowered her. Our opponent just used backspin to force our girl to play a topspin(loads of spin) and counterhit all of them. Our 11 yo girl is just too small yet, she is not able to create much more power, so I thought it would maybe an answer to play slow topspins loaded with SIDESPIN, so the opponent cant kill these shots, or at least makes it harder to kill it. She is able to do sidespin-topspin easily in rally, but i wondering if there is possible to do the same thing against backspin consistently.

If its possible, how can teach it someone? Could you give me some advices?

P.s: sorry for my english, I'm not so good in it, I hope you understood what I tried to explain/ask.
Sponsored Links

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 7:28pm
It is possible to do topsidespin against backspin, but it is maybe harder than regular topspin. Waldner and Kong Linghui did it a lot against choppers. Why didn't the girl just push back and block if they attacked. 

Edited by kenneyy88 - 06/12/2013 at 7:29pm
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by 33333hhhhh 33333hhhhh wrote:

Hi everyone, I went to a big competition with a 11 yo little girl from my club(ranked around 10 in our country, U13) and she lost to a girl who just overpowered her. Our opponent just used backspin to force our girl to play a topspin(loads of spin) and counterhit all of them. Our 11 yo girl is just too small yet, she is not able to create much more power, so I thought it would maybe an answer to play slow topspins loaded with SIDESPIN, so the opponent cant kill these shots, or at least makes it harder to kill it. She is able to do sidespin-topspin easily in rally, but i wondering if there is possible to do the same thing against backspin consistently. If its possible, how can teach it someone? Could you give me some advices?P.s: sorry for my english, I'm not so good in it, I hope you understood what I tried to explain/ask.

Hi 3h
first its OK to lose even if your girl has a ranking
Second I dont think sidespin-topspin is a particularly good answer to the problem. I think maybe your girl could practice blocking and counterhitting more than big topspin because when you are small your topspin can not be big enough, but with counterhit and block she can use opponents power against them. So learn to hit (not loop) from backspin situation and improve counterhit
Its important to make sure your eleven year old girl ENJOYS playing competition and dont expect her to beat everyone.
good luck

Edited by pingpongpaddy - 06/12/2013 at 7:40pm
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
assiduous View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assiduous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 7:39pm
if I win a match by pushing back and blocking i consider that I lost it anyway. It is OK to do it when you are in trouble in the middle of a point but to play a match with that strategy in mind is no way to teach a youngster.
I would rather tell her that's it's ok to lose that match, and just try to vary the placement of the loop. Pick a side that is weaker, pick depth. If she is waiting on the edge of the table waiting to smash, make sure you loop deep, almost on white line. And yes, some sidespin when the ball bounces high enough. It is difficult to use sidespin on low balls.
But the most important thing is to build her character. She should be fearless. If three loops got smacked in a row you loop again, somewhere else, and keep coming and show them you don't doubt yourself. Like ZJK.
Screw the match. Nobody needs to win by chopping.
My opinion. I know for some people winning iss the only thing that counts
puppy412 : Sorry man, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I know that more training will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 7:59pm

Hi everyone, I went to a big competition with a 11 yo little girl from my club(ranked around 10 in our country, U13) and she lost to a girl who just overpowered her. Our opponent just used backspin to force our girl to play a topspin(loads of spin) and counterhit all of them. Our 11 yo girl is just too small yet, she is not able to create much more power, so I thought it would maybe an answer to play slow topspins loaded with SIDESPIN, so the opponent cant kill these shots, or at least makes it harder to kill it. She is able to do sidespin-topspin easily in rally, but i wondering if there is possible to do the same thing against backspin consistently.

P.s: sorry for my english, I'm not so good in it, I hope you understood what I tried to explain/ask.

Most young kids should be taught to counter as fast as possible instead of topspinning as hard as possible, precisely because of their lack of power.  The issue here is not topspin or sidespin, but SPEED.  It doesn't matter how loaded, deep or how much sidespin she can produce with her loops off the push, as long as it's slow it will get attacked. 

She should learn to drive forward at a faster pace against underspin than loading it with spin.  In other words, concentrate her power on producing SPEED instead of spin.  Keep the attacks low and deep, and most importantly, quick.  The key is to concentrate on pushing her opponents away from their established position.  Aim for deep corners and elbow area with quick attacks.  She should also be able to push some of the pushes back very quickly to strategic areas to force a weak opening from her opponents.  It would be unwise to keep attacking deep and low pushes with weak loops where her opponents are waiting.  The key is to outsmart her opponents. 

As to your original question, the answer is her sidespin loops against push will still carry more topspin than sidespin, and it won't be much of a problem for her opponents to attack them if these loops are slow.

Edited by roundrobin - 06/12/2013 at 8:01pm
Current USATT Rating: 2181
Argentina National Team Member, 1985-1986.
Current Club: Los Angeles Table Tennis Association.
My Setup: Yinhe Q1 / T64 2.1 black / Saviga V 0.5mm red

DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 8:14pm
I wouldn't change a thing. The trouble with so many young female players these days is that they never learn to loop properly. Because they lack strength when they are young, coaches get them to do these awful half-flat half-topspin 'drives' (they are more like flicks IMO) in order to compensate. These shots are far less sound than a proper loop due to the lack of spin/dip and the relatively flat trajectory. If this girl can already loop with a lot of topspin then that is a great thing and you should build on that. Eventually it will become a strong component in her game and it will be something that many of her opponents wont have. In the short term just try to get her to loop as deep as possible. If her loops land deep they should be fairly safe.

I think young kids it is a mistake to train for a match today or next week. Much better to look to the future, kids grow up very fast!    

Edited by DDreamer - 06/12/2013 at 8:21pm
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by DDreamer DDreamer wrote:

I wouldn't change a thing. The trouble with so many young female players these days is that they never learn to loop properly. Because they lack strength when they are young, coaches get them to do these awful half-flat half-topspin 'drives' (they are more like flicks IMO) in order to compensate. These shots are far less sound than a proper loop due to the lack of spin/dip and the relatively flat trajectory. If your daughter can already loop with a lot of topspin already then that is a great thing and you should build on that. Eventually it will become a strong component in her game and it will be something that many of her opponents wont have. In the short term just try to get her to loop as deep as possible. If her loops land deep they should be fairly safe.

I think young kids it is a mistake to train for a match today or next week. Much better to look to the future, kids grow up very fast!    

Sorry I completely disagree.  Many European players fell for this trap.  The truth is it's far easier to learn to loop "properly" later on than to develop fast and proper footwork at an early age. 

Kids should be trained to play as fast and consistent as possible.  Of course I have seen kids who later could not (or would not) slow down to execute full loops properly when they grew up, but I have seen far more successful ones who've become fast AND powerful later. 

The truth is I have never seen a kid who was slow and powerful and later became FAST and powerful.

Edited by roundrobin - 06/12/2013 at 8:34pm

pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by assiduous assiduous wrote:

if I win a match by pushing back and blocking i consider that I lost it anyway. It is OK to do it when you are in trouble in the middle of a point but to play a match with that strategy in mind is no way to teach a youngster.
I would rather tell her that's it's ok to lose that match, and just try to vary the placement of the loop. Pick a side that is weaker, pick depth. If she is waiting on the edge of the table waiting to smash, make sure you loop deep, almost on white line. And yes, some sidespin when the ball bounces high enough. It is difficult to use sidespin on low balls.
But the most important thing is to build her character. She should be fearless. If three loops got smacked in a row you loop again, somewhere else, and keep coming and show them you don't doubt yourself. Like ZJK.
Screw the match. Nobody needs to win by chopping.
My opinion. I know for some people winning iss the only thing that counts

if you read carefully, you'll notice its the opponent who is initiating backspin, so as her best topspin was being killed, I recommend she learns to open from opponents push with a hit or flip As for winning by sometimes playing shots that might be considered boring on this forum, sometimes its necessary I am afraid.
Do you find masudairas blocks boring?
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
Pongz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pongz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 8:32pm
Without actually looking how she actually plays, it is very hard to determine the real problem, imho.. 

If I were you, I will try to improve/analyse in the following priority first:

1. depth: generally deep if what you want, but then low front could be a good variation too.. remember they are junior, so I assume they are not that tall yet..... middle is the easiest one to get smacked...

2. height: keep it low...

3. placement: from which side does the opponent smash more? go to weaker side or vary the placement. If I am not mistaken, Larry Hodges actually advices to try first attack FH - MI - BH combination rather than BH - FH - MI combination... Try and see which ones work..

4. How does your junior attack the backspin? more FH or BH? does she steps around? Which ones that get smashed/blocked more, FH or BH attack? Does she recover after attacking the backspin (maybe she needs to shorten the stroke?) ?

Hopefully by asking these questions, your junior will improve...

Regards

Edited by Pongz - 06/12/2013 at 8:34pm
Butterfly Sardius
FH Donic Barracuda
BH Tibhar MX-P
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 8:37pm
3h, that is an option. it is always good to have options. Like RR said, a slow topspin (in this case I would bet lunch that those topspins she made were HIGH)likely NOT landing very deep or shallow is an easy target for a counterdrive winner. I would also wager lunch that that topspin was not extreme heavy spin either. Not many 11 yr old girls can make extreme heavy topspin from an underspin ball.

The answer lies with more variety in spin, height and placement. RR's suggestion of a fast loop with a lower height or better placement with less height and a tad more speed is the way to go for the opener.

I do not see women players here in Korea, except for only the over 2400 USATT crowd,like former elite TT athletes and current coaches, create heavy topspin. The coaches do not teach that to the female players. They train them as counter hitters and hitters. You push to FH, female player is trained to skull-drug crush the daylights outta that ball, period, they have no other thought of making a controlled topspin to setup the next shot. You push a little high to FH side, you know the next shot the female player will attempt. The more consistent ones will severely punish you. Amazingly, these players have trouble with a change of pace shot, like a very deep, heavy spin slow to medium speed topspin loop. They block it out a LOT. If it is high, they will try to hit through it and still often hit it out.

I have not seen many 11 yr old girls make a killer topspin slow or fast loop from an underspin. Many have learned to make a very fast drive against such a ball. That shot, if consistent, is a very difficult shot to cope with, so it is successful at both low and high levels.

Another option to develop is a BH loop. Those can be tough to see the direction, the player keeps position, plus it requires not so much backswing, so it is usually a quicker shot than a FH that requires more backswing.

Female players are usually very quick hitting and ultra consistent players and play very well within that framework. I say having more options is a good thing if one has a way to judge when to use and when to not use a certain shot. Simplicity can be a good thing as it reduces indecision. That is one positive thing about the classic Korean female OX LP BH and inverted FH power hitters. Those players have very little indecision. They know exactly what they want to do when they recognize a shot. Keeping it simple can have its good points as well.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 8:43pm
I don't see how learning to loop properly from a young age can prevent someone learning good footwork.

In my experience those that learn to flick loop really struggle to learn to loop later on because they have to unlearn the dodgy technique of their younger years. This applies to boys as well. Im guessing this flick-loop for the young approach has been quite popular for a decade or so (?) and now you can see its effects when kids get to the 17-20ish age group. Their 'loops' have a very flat trajectory and they really struggle against heavy backspin. There are around half a dozen such kids at my club (2 have trained in China). They have just hit a brick wall and wont get any better unless they do some major deconstructing and reconstructing. A few of the problems are the slappy wrist component of the flick-loop and the lack of legs/body. 

My sons piano teacher reckons that for every hour a kids learns bad technique/fingering it takes 3 hours to unlearn it. Also, try coaching an ex-tennis player and see how tough it is to get them to loop properly. Unlearning shoddy technique can be done but its not the easiest path to travel. Better to learn correctly from day one and have your sights set on the future.

Edited by DDreamer - 06/12/2013 at 8:55pm
I know that faster equipment will make me better, I don't need to come here to figure that out
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

The truth is I have never seen a kid who was slow and powerful and later became FAST and powerful.
I find that extraordinary. In my experience those who DONT learn to loop with power when young frequently end up having piddly loops when they are older. The good loopers have a solid blend of leg/body-strength and arm. If you get power/spin in your loops you can hit as hard and fast as you like. If you dont have the right foundation your loop with be flat and very risky.

Edited by DDreamer - 06/12/2013 at 8:53pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 8:55pm

I don't see how learning to loop properly from a young age can prevent someone learning good footwork.

In my experience those that learn to flick loop really struggle to learn to loop later on because they have to unlearn the dodgy technique of their younger years. This applies to boys as well. Im guessing this flick-loop for the young approach has been quite popular for a decade or so (?) and now you can see its effects when kids get to the 17-20ish age group. Their 'loops' have a very flat trajectory and they really struggle against heavy backspin. There are around half a dozen such kids at my club (2 have trained in China). They have just hit a brick wall and wont get any better unless they do some major deconstructing and reconstructing. A few of the problems are the slappy wrist component of the flick-loop and the lack of legs/body. 

My sons piano teacher reckons that for every hour a kids learns bad technique/fingering it takes 3 hours to unlearn it. Also, try coaching an ex-tennis player and see how tough it is to get them to loop properly. Unlearning shoddy technique can be done but its not the easiest path to travel. Better to learn correctly from day one and have your sights seton the future.

Table tennis requires a player to develop a complete repertoire of techniques.  Looping is simply one of them.  Some kids failed to develop this technique properly but mastered all the others.  It's the same way that many Europeans have mastered this technique but neglected their table game and proper footwork.  You can't simply focus on one aspect of the game at the expense of others.  A balanced approach is required. 

DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 9:00pm

Table tennis requires a player to develop a complete repertoire of techniques.  Looping is simply one of them.  Some kids failed to develop this technique properly but mastered all the others.  It's the same way that many Europeans have mastered this technique but neglected their table game and proper footwork.  You can't simply focus on one aspect of the game at the expense of others.  A balanced approach is required. 

Huh?? Who said anything about ignoring footwork and not having a balanced approach and not learning all of the required skills???

We were talking about the best way to teach looping to youngsters. Your approach may be correct or mine may be. Whichever approach you adopt it is still possible to learn (or neglect) other aspects of the game. What you have written makes no sense.  

Edited by DDreamer - 06/12/2013 at 9:02pm
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 9:00pm

I find that extraordinary. In my experience those who DONT learn to loop with power when young frequently end up having piddly loops when they are older. The good loopers have a solid blend of leg/body-strength and arm. If you get power/spin in your loops you can hit as hard and fast as you like. If you dont have the right foundation your loop with be flat and very risky.

Not from my experience.  These players who failed to develop powerful loops later are usually dropouts of their excellent early training. 

Current U.S. National Champions Timothy Wang and Lily Zhang were trained with multiballs at blinding speed at a very young age, and yet they were able to learn to loop properly when they grew up.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 9:03pm

Huh?? Who said anything about ignoring footwork and not having a balanced approach and not learning all of the necessary required skills???

We were talking about the best way to teach looping to youngsters. Your approach may be correct or mine may be. Whichever approach you adopt it is still possible to learn (or neglect) other aspects of the game. What you have written makes no sense.  

You said the girl in question should keep doing what she's doing and I disagreed, because even though she could loop her shots are too slow.  Then you got into these "not able to loop properly later" and "take too much effort to unlearn" nonsense.

DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 9:09pm

Not from my experience.  These players who failed to develop powerful loops later are usually dropouts of their excellent early training. 
I still find it extraordinary that  have never seen a kid who was slow and powerful and later became FAST and powerful. The fact that all of the fast and powerful loopers you have seen learnt via the flick-loop method is just amazing.
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 9:11pm

Huh?? Who said anything about ignoring footwork and not having a balanced approach and not learning all of the necessary required skills???

You said the girl in question should keep doing what she's doing and I disagreed, because even though she could loop her shots are too slow.  Then you got into these "not able to loop properly later" and "take too much effort to unlearn" nonsense.

How did the talk of a balanced approach and footwork enter a conversation regarding looping? If you were off-topic then just acknowledge it and move on rather than brand someones approach 'nonsense'.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 9:26pm

I still find it extraordinary that  have never seen a kid who was slow and powerful and later became FAST and powerful. The fact that all of the fast and powerful loopers you have seen learnt via the flick-loop method is just amazing.

Flick and loop and two different things.  A player must be able to do both, as it's not a chicken and egg thing.  However, you can't execute a full loop until you have the opportunity to swing.  Wink  An analogy would be boxing... You can't constantly looking to land a haymaker.  Most points at the highest level will start with a short push or flick, followed by an attack and counter attack (or block).  Looping is simply 20% of a complete game and an extension of all other strokes, as it is a "finishing" stroke.  So you have a choice here to teach your youngsters:  1.  Put 80% of their training on other techniques (serves, pushes, blocks, counters) and 20% on looping.  Or 2.  Make sure they can loop with quality spin at the expense of others (remember 20% means only 12 minutes out of an hour session should be devoted to looping). 

My position is simply the MAJORITY of a kid's training should be focused on everything else but looping, with speed and consistency being the most important.  The young girl in question could probably loop very well, but technically speaking her game is faulty as she could not change her game to play against a particular competitor.

Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 9:30pm

How did the talk of a balanced approach and footwork enter a conversation regarding looping? If you were off-topic then just acknowledge it and move on rather than brand someones approach 'nonsense'.

It's your belief that those who could flip well at a young age could not loop well later.  It has nothing to do with each other.  Wink

Edited by roundrobin - 06/12/2013 at 9:48pm

Gauguin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gauguin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 10:23pm
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 10:28pm
Again: what you are saying regarding a balanced approach to playing is completely irrelevant to what we were talking about. Read back over what was written.

Furthermore, you write:

"So you have a choice here to teach your youngsters:  1.  Put 80% of their training on other techniques (serves, pushes, blocks, counters) and 20% on looping.  Or 2.  Make sure they can loop with quality spin at the expense of others (remember 20% means only 12 minutes out of an hour session should be devoted to looping). "

Where is it written that these are the only 2 options??? Also, why can't you just do number 1 and in that 20% focus on getting them to loop with a technique they will use as developed players?

Getting back to the original topic, the girl in question can already loop with spin anyway. It sounds like she is already on her way to developing a good loop and hence I said suggested just to keep on the path she is on. She can still spend only 20% of her training time practicing looping - but at least she will be working on a stroke she can use as a mature player. 

Also, I was talking about the practice of teaching kids to 'flick-loop' or 'slap-loop' (hitting the ball fairly flat with a lot of wrist) rather than to loop. I was not talking of a regular 'flip' or 'flick'. Of course a flip and a loop are different strokes. I have found that kids who learn the 'flick-loop/slap-loop' method when young can experience difficultly learning how to loop proper when they are older. This is largely due to an over reliance on wrist and flat-contact at the expense of leg/body/arm use and spin production. 

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/12/2013 at 11:19pm
One thing that can be said here is that the girl should play the way SHE feels most comfortable with, just do it well (should stay with her natural style). 
For example, this can be good pushing, as shown in the long rally link provided above by Gauguin (really cool)Thumbs Up. The coach should teach her to do that whatever shot/tactic really well. 

Edited by JacekGM - 06/12/2013 at 11:26pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2013 at 1:26am
Haha Jacek, In the DMZ open not so long ago, I was down 0-2 in games and had to change my plying style. I was attacking, missing some and getting blocked or countered for outright points or pressure. I was looping at all speeds and I was still losing points. I likely needed better depth on some of my shots, but I was not likely to fix that then and there, maybe in the future when I get better some more.

I ended up relying on a tactic of pushing his serve deep to his crossover, occasionally to wide wide wide FH to keep him honest and allow him to initiate the attack. I ended up getting a lot of points on missed attacks or it was ME who ended up blocking points for winners or pressure that led to finishing shots! That was likely what he was doing to me the first two games.

I fought back to get to 2-2 and ahead 9-5 and was very unfortunate to have 2 net and outs at match point, a couple of opponent's attacks barely land. bad break, but I had my chances and of all things... PUSHING the ball as first option on serve receive gave me my chances against this opponent who would likely carry a USATT rating of 2050 to 2100.

Pushing is not an illegal shot and deserves some practice as you and RR have mentioned.

I was down and realized my macho all-out attack game was getting me nowhere fast. I tried to have faith and stay with it by focusing more on making a quality shot and vary it, hoping I would make higher percentage of shots, but I wasn't realizing what opponent was doing to me to make my shots lower percentage. I later adjusted, came back from a bad position, got the upper hand in the match and had more than my fair chances to win that match under pressure - the winner was to advance to crossovers. Being in a position to win with a fair chance using whatever tactics were effective to get to that position, what else could I ask for? (besides not having bad luck and/or some bad skill at 9-5)
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2013 at 1:38am

Again: what you are saying regarding a balanced approach to playing is completely irrelevant to what we were talking about. Read back over what was written.

Furthermore, you write:

"So you have a choice here to teach your youngsters:  1.  Put 80% of their training on other techniques (serves, pushes, blocks, counters) and 20% on looping.  Or 2.  Make sure they can loop with quality spin at the expense of others (remember 20% means only 12 minutes out of an hour session should be devoted to looping). "

Where is it written that these are the only 2 options??? Also, why can't you just do number 1 and in that 20% focus on getting them to loop with a technique they will use as developed players?

Getting back to the original topic, the girl in question can already loop with spin anyway. It sounds like she is already on her way to developing a good loop and hence I said suggested just to keep on the path she is on. She can still spend only 20% of her training time practicing looping - but at least she will be working on a stroke she can use as a mature player. 

Also, I was talking about the practice of teaching kids to 'flick-loop' or 'slap-loop' (hitting the ball fairly flat with a lot of wrist) rather than to loop. I was not talking of a regular 'flip' or 'flick'. Of course a flip and a loop are different strokes. I have found that kids who learn the 'flick-loop/slap-loop' method when young can experience difficultly learning how to loop proper when they are older. This is largely due to an over reliance on wrist and flat-contact at the expense of leg/body/arm use and spin production. 

Here's what you wrote:

" I wouldn't change a thing. The trouble with so many young female players these days is that they never learn to loop properly. Because they lack strength when they are young, coaches get them to do these awful half-flat half-topspin 'drives' (they are more like flicks IMO) in order to compensate. These shots are far less sound than a proper loop due to the lack of spin/dip and the relatively flat trajectory. If this girl can already loop with a lot of topspin then that is a great thing and you should build on that. Eventually it will become a strong component in her game and it will be something that many of her opponents wont have. In the short term just try to get her to loop as deep as possible. If her loops land deep they should be fairly safe.

I think young kids it is a mistake to train for a match today or next week. Much better to look to the future, kids grow up very fast!"

The main problem with your thinking is you are assuming that other girls at her level don't know how to loop "properly" like her, hence they can't play the same way this girl is playing.  This is complete nonsense.  The other girls above her level surely can play like her if they want to, but they don't because it's a dumb thing to do. 

You further assume if the other girls at or above her level perform a loop, they will loop with a wristy, half-ass motion.  How do you know that?  I am involved in in our training for kids at one of the largest training centers in North America, and we train our young kids to be able to loop 30 times in a row without any problem whatsoever, and many of them are younger than her.  However, at game time we teach them how to win, not how to look pretty.  Most top-level ten year olds can not loop against underspin with enough force AND THEY KNOW IT.  Looping slowly against underspin is to offer up a cream-puff ball to be whacked away, so we teach them how to fake their motions to perform quick flips and fast topspin openings to the main three points on the table:  FH, elbow and BH.  Once they force a low-quality return from their opponents they'd gladly perform a full loop to end the point.

Lastly, you assume this girl's style will give her an advantage once she grows up because you think she will be able to loop better than her peers.  Again, this is also based on your belief that other girls can't loop when they grow up.  This is yet another completely baseless assumption because we are talking about top-ten juniors of an entire country here!  They don't get to that level NOT KNOWING how to loop!  Wink  What they do know is they understand what works and what don't against their opponents in any given match.

Edited by roundrobin - 06/13/2013 at 2:07am

JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/13/2013 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Haha Jacek, In the DMZ open not so long ago, I was down 0-2 in games and had to change my plying style. I was attacking, missing some and getting blocked or countered for outright points or pressure. I was looping at all speeds and I was still losing points. I likely needed better depth on some of my shots, but I was not likely to fix that then and there, maybe in the future when I get better some more.

I ended up relying on a tactic of pushing his serve deep to his crossover, occasionally to wide wide wide FH to keep him honest and allow him to initiate the attack. I ended up getting a lot of points on missed attacks or it was ME who ended up blocking points for winners or pressure that led to finishing shots! That was likely what he was doing to me the first two games.

I fought back to get to 2-2 and ahead 9-5 and was very unfortunate to have 2 net and outs at match point, a couple of opponent's attacks barely land. bad break, but I had my chances and of all things... PUSHING the ball as first option on serve receive gave me my chances against this opponent who would likely carry a USATT rating of 2050 to 2100.

Pushing is not an illegal shot and deserves some practice as you and RR have mentioned.

I was down and realized my macho all-out attack game was getting me nowhere fast. I tried to have faith and stay with it by focusing more on making a quality shot and vary it, hoping I would make higher percentage of shots, but I wasn't realizing what opponent was doing to me to make my shots lower percentage. I later adjusted, came back from a bad position, got the upper hand in the match and had more than my fair chances to win that match under pressure - the winner was to advance to crossovers. Being in a position to win with a fair chance using whatever tactics were effective to get to that position, what else could I ask for? (besides not having bad luck and/or some bad skill at 9-5)
Well, at 9:5 it sure hurts... even in the lion's den, as you are... 
I wrote the above from the perspective of trying in the past to coach my daughter. One thing I learned on that occasion was that with young ladies you better be very attentive to how they feel about things... 
I mean, imposing your style - or else - isn't gonna work.
However, what you described is a nice example of how to be smart and flexible in order to improve your chances, and that is still a little different cup of tea...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
t64t64t64 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t64t64t64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2013 at 12:39am
Side spin shots are usually wrong learned topspin strokes
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2013 at 1:20am
Or poorman's topspins.
DDreamer View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DDreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2013 at 9:23am

The main problem with your thinking is you are assuming that other girls at her level don't know how to loop "properly" like her, hence they can't play the same way this girl is playing.  This is complete nonsense.  The other girls above her level surely can play like her if they want to, but they don't because it's a dumb thing to do.  

I do not assume this. How do you assume I assume this? You are just making this up. Please give a quote which shows I assume this. What I did say is that many (not all) female players struggle to learn how to loop properly as they get older if they have learnt the 'slap loop' approach when they are younger. I have come across this often enough, especially with sub-elite juniors but even 2 elite level women I know of also had difficulty. Of course there are players who are able to both slap loop and the loop properly. I never suggested otherwise. Also, it may be a dumb thing to do short term but long term it is not. It depends on where your focus as a coach lies. Some coach to win under 13s, I tend to coach looking ahead to a mature style. Both approaches have their pros and cons. 

You further assume if the other girls at or above her level perform a loop, they will loop with a wristy, half-ass motion.  How do you know that? 

Again please give me a quote where I assumed this. You are making this up. How do I know how Hungarian under 13 girls loop? I did say that many girls these days are taught to do half-flat-half-topspin 'drives' which rely a lot on wrist. This is not an assumption, it is a fact. This approach is extremely common here, especially among the chinese coaches. Whilst this approach no doubt has its positives (especially with very young girls who lack the strength to put spin on their loops) it can, as I have already detailed, have its long term negatives. Of course I am not saying that everyone will experience such difficulties but I have found a good number do. In the case of the girl in question who can already put spin on her loop I suggested she continue on the path she is on. Once she learns to get depth on her loops they will no longer be easy to put away. Also, looping this way does not preclude her from swinging fast. I cannot see how this is bad advice unless you are only concerned with the very short term.

Lastly, you assume this girl's style will give her an advantage once she grows up because you think she will be able to loop better than her peers.  Again, this is also based on your belief that other girls can't loop when they grow up.  This is yet another completely baseless assumption... 

Again I did not assume this and you are making it up. Please show a quote where I said this.
 How can I possibly know that she will be able to loop better than her peers? I have said that it sounds like she is already learning how to loop properly and she should continue on the same path. Clearly some girls learn to loop very well. What I did say is that quite a number of girls (clearly not all) struggle to learn how to learn how to loop properly and that this is due to them being unable to change from the flatish slap technique they learnt for years when they were younger. This is not a belief or an assumption but a fact.

It is EXTREMELY tedious having to reply to 'assumptions' falsely attributed to me. I have offered an opinion on what I think the girl in question should do and have tried to outline why she should do so. You obviously have a different approach and such an approach of course has its merits. In such discussions it is best to try to be disciplined and stick to what is being said rather than falsely attributing weak and simplistic arguments to others. This will be my last post on this topic.
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/14/2013 at 9:47am

Most young kids should be taught to counter as fast as possible instead of topspinning as hard as possible, precisely because of their lack of power.  The issue here is not topspin or sidespin, but SPEED.  It doesn't matter how loaded, deep or how much sidespin she can produce with her loops off the push, as long as it's slow it will get attacked. 

She should learn to drive forward at a faster pace against underspin than loading it with spin.  In other words, concentrate her power on producing SPEED instead of spin.  Keep the attacks low and deep, and most importantly, quick.  The key is to concentrate on pushing her opponents away from their established position.  Aim for deep corners and elbow area with quick attacks.  She should also be able to push some of the pushes back very quickly to strategic areas to force a weak opening from her opponents.  It would be unwise to keep attacking deep and low pushes with weak loops where her opponents are waiting.  The key is to outsmart her opponents. 

As to your original question, the answer is her sidespin loops against push will still carry more topspin than sidespin, and it won't be much of a problem for her opponents to attack them if these loops are slow.

Very good advice, not just for kids, but for all as well.  There are certain players, who live off slow spinny loop, they give you heavy back spin, and wait for you to open loop, then whamp, they smack it right back with interest.  Against these player, you need to play with speed, and placement rather than spin, deep ball is a must.  I also notice that these players don't like if you change up the tempo of the game, if you can mess around with their timing, they will start to miss, and it's game over for them.  As always, it's easy said than done LOL.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic